Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 16, 2016 6:30 PM

Jul 2016
I don't think I saw a topic for this, feel free to move or delete thread if this is better suited for an existing topic.

I watch a lot of television, people. Since I'm a night shift worker I spend a lot of time around 1-6am aimless browsing Netflix or whatever. This evening I find myself catching a show called Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries and I'm kind of in love with it.

It's about an older (gasp) white detective lady in 1920's US solving mysteries while being a total bad bitch. It's the female Sherlock show I didn't know I've desperately been missing. She's over 35! She's unrepentantly sexual! She's both feminine and independent and sassy AF. I've only caught the one episode so as far as I can tell its a super white show not interested in telling stories of POC, so fair warning.

Anyway, would love to hear what you all like to watch TV wise!

AngemarsSep 16, 2016 6:34 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 20, 2016 10:48 PM
Sep 2012
Oh, I've watched a few episodes of that with my partner, and it's been fun! She has since watched the whole thing - and agrees that the protagonist is pretty amazing.

I watch everything forever on TV (anime and not anime). Like, I straight up follow 40+ shows a year... which is bad for life and productivity, but fun for me! I try to make it about feminist and artistic critique, to feel like I'm doing things with my brain, and not just staring.

Some cool shows I've watched recently that deal with issues mostly well include:

1. You're the Worst: Absolutely hilarious, but definitely about white people. Great focus on depression and PTSD as the series goes on tho.

2. Atlanta: Donald Glover's new show is so good! It's too new to say much else, just go watch!

3. Dark Matter: A pretty mediocre to slightly above average sci-fi show with some very badass women - who kind of fit the 'strong woman' trope, but who are fleshed out enough to be interesting. Also, there are non-badass women, so it's diverse in that way. Also, 3/7 regulars are POC. Although, besides one character, it does feel a bit like color-blind casting (i.e., great for hiring POC, not great for telling POC-specific stories about POC experiences).

4. The Knick: A really well written, acted, and especially directed show, but content warnings necessary. It's about a hospital at the turn of the century (1900) in New York. It absolutely tells stories about women and POC, but also, the world was pretty garbage to them at that time, so it can be very upsetting to watch at times.

Finally, I'm really excited to watch Speechless - a new comedy about a family with a son who has cerebral palsy. As someone who works in the fields of neurodevelopmental disabilities + disability studies, I'm always a fan of positive and nuanced portrayals of people with disabilities. Parenthood was great for that too - and to a lesser extent Breaking Bad.

Phew, long TV rant over :P.
Nov 23, 2016 4:22 PM

Feb 2008
LostCadence said:
4. The Knick: A really well written, acted, and especially directed show, but content warnings necessary. It's about a hospital at the turn of the century (1900) in New York. It absolutely tells stories about women and POC, but also, the world was pretty garbage to them at that time, so it can be very upsetting to watch at times.

Ahhh, The Knick is one of my absolute favorites! It does directly address the difficulties for women and people of color back then.

Quantico, i.e. Grey's Anatomy except at the FBI, also features diversity and addresses questions that face various minority characters, e.g. homosexual characters and women that wear hijab. What's more, the show fleshes out their identities, both those characteristics impacted by the ways they are unique and also those unrelated. It's probably the most complex portrayal of a woman in hijab that I've seen on TV. The show's suspense plot can get far-fetched, and the second season feels like a repeat, but I'd definitely recommend the first season.

I talked about it in another thread, but Vikings also has strong female characters, both a swordswoman and a cunning Queen. I see very few female warriors on TV so, nope, not tired of them. Jessica Jones also addresses sexism deftly and subtly, both thematically, as Jessica faces her fears and her rapist, and in dialogue throughout. The superhero aspect is very toned down, for those who don't like comic book media, it's a psychological thriller.

Edit: How can I forget, Pitch about a woman entering the baseball big leagues? It's an obvious pick because it addresses a lot of issues. I'm surprised it hasn't received more attention. Hopefully it isn't canceled.
new_userDec 10, 2016 4:23 PM
Jul 28, 2021 11:29 AM
Oct 2016
Highly recommend
-Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit, a BBC series series from the 90s,
a korean dorama I`ve watched these days called
-Hello, My Twenties,
also
-Olive Kitteridge, one of my favourite series, directed by the great Lisa Cholodenko with the outstanding Frances McDormand.
To finish for now,
-Coisa Mais Linda, a brazilian (I`m from Brazil) netflix series that deals with women from here in the São Paulo 50s trying to deal with misoginy in many different ways, economical and racial oppression. Havent finished the latter, but it was going ok (though i dislike bossa nova a lot haha)
Oct 27, 2021 11:11 PM

Jul 2009
Bojack Horseman

Has a lot of social commentary about feminist issues and toxic masculinity. A beautifully tragic show that everyone should watch. Imo the greatest show ever made.
Feb 4, 2022 9:06 AM

Apr 2017
Harley Quinn
Parodies well known characters from the DC superhero universe. Obviously focuses on Harley Quinn and the team she forms after leaving a toxic relationship. Gets a lot better after the first or second episode. Hilarious show on HBO Max.

Arcane: League of Legends
Lots of strong female characters and great diversity among the characters overall. Incredibly well made, can be seen on Netflix.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Fruits Basket???

holysauron - Aug 25, 2019

12 by removed-user »»
May 9, 2022 7:27 PM

» • women working on anime: recommendations?

aku333 - Apr 5, 2020

5 by removed-user »»
May 9, 2022 7:10 PM

» Study material

holysauron - Apr 10, 2018

3 by Moonspeak »»
May 6, 2022 9:54 AM

» What are your favourite anime/manga and why?

daisys - Dec 3, 2021

1 by Zoldra0 »»
Feb 4, 2022 8:58 AM

» DANGER: Official List of Anti-Feminist/Sexist Anime &Manga ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Akichii - Sep 17, 2013

686 by jal90 »»
Jan 25, 2022 5:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.