Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (11) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Sep 17, 2016 3:10 AM
Jul 2018
behold my eliteness!
i LO owe this site soo much but i wont support it. NO ot like this, if thats o OK with u.
Sep 17, 2016 3:19 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
DMoC said:
I'm not saying people shouldn't support MAL, but if people want to, then allow a donation option, and simply thank them for their donation
We cannot simply accept donations. MAL is a company.
Sep 17, 2016 3:25 AM

May 2008
But I thought MAL's whole policy was that there shouldn't be user perks because of equality or some shit like that?

EDIT:
Kineta said:
We cannot simply accept donations. MAL is a company.

What is this bullshit? Companies accept donations all the time. It's hardly illegal, surely. I've seen several websites with a donation option. Hell, even YouTube has the option for people to give donations to channels they like to some degree.
Zazie122Sep 17, 2016 3:29 AM
Sep 17, 2016 3:28 AM

Oct 2007
@dave TL;DR but one point I will answer is that I have made a lot of posts detailing how MAL can improve and be made to look better already, I'm not going to repeat myself again here. So yeah, I have already contributed my thoughts and many suggestions as to how to improve MAL, I haven't been sat here yelling "ITS SHIT" whilst not giving any suggestions, they're just elsewhere on the forum.

Yes, the site was better when it had less. It is a database and listing site, not a "lets cram as much as possible in here" site. But at the end of the day I do not use those new features and most of the obnoxious stuff on the home page is hidden by the user script I run, so I don't mind so much anymore.

You're really going to try and tell me that THIS looks better than THIS? Try harder. Again, I have already detailed what doesn't work and what does/did with the profiles on the relevant forum thread, so no I will not go on about them here.
Sep 17, 2016 3:32 AM

Apr 2014
Ugh, what is MAL turning into?
Sep 17, 2016 3:55 AM

Oct 2007
I'd also like to add something further so that the mods/admins/whoever reading my comments understand my stance a little better.

I love MAL. Its the only website I've been visiting daily for close to 9 years and it is "home" to me on the Internet. It's database is the best one on the web and its listing feature is also the best one out there. The CSS function is amazing. I've never come across a better anime website, if I'm honest. But in recent times certain aspects of the site have declined (as I have discussed above and in the relevant threads) and that is why I am no longer keen to help support the site. I'm not so sure I like the direction the site is heading in and until I am reassured beyond any measure of doubt, I do not want to be a supporter.
Sep 17, 2016 4:16 AM

Dec 2007
To be honest, I hope this Supporter plan will lead to a Mobile App development. I just can't get used to MAL's mobile site. I always request MAL's Desktop site on mobile, and it's really not ideal to browse on the desktop site on mobile...
Sep 17, 2016 4:22 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Zazie122 said:
But I thought MAL's whole policy was that there shouldn't be user perks because of equality or some shit like that?
Please read previous posts in this thread.

Zazie122 said:
Hell, even YouTube has the option for people to give donations to channels they like to some degree.
How does donating money to individual users operating channels on YouTube compare?
Sep 17, 2016 4:24 AM

May 2008
Kineta said:
How does donating money to individual users operating channels on YouTube compare?

YouTube gets a cut, surely.

I just don't see why there's no donation thing and there has to be rewards. Then again, there shouldn't even have to be donations in the first place if the site was operated properly.

EDIT: I apologise for coming across as rude. This is just simply a thing I don't agree with. Donations are whatever, but a site like MAL shouldn't need to rely on its users to pay for it.

I personally won't be signing up since I feel like the staff doesn't listen to what users want and things that have long since been complained about still aren't fixed.

Maybe once the database is actually consistent and accurate I'll consider it, but until MAL stops feeling like an amateur website rather than anything professional..... nah.
Zazie122Sep 17, 2016 4:47 AM
Sep 17, 2016 4:58 AM

Sep 2007
Can we get a Paypal option please?

Also, is the automatic renewal cancelled through this site? I don't want to forget I have it and then constantly be forking out haha.
Sep 17, 2016 5:39 AM

Aug 2012
Zazie122 said:
Donations are whatever, but a site like MAL shouldn't need to rely on its users to pay for it.

I don't see why you think so when bigger and by your words, professional, sites like Reddit lives off ads and donations in the form of Reddit Gold.
Sep 17, 2016 5:56 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Jax said:
Also, is the automatic renewal cancelled through this site? I don't want to forget I have it and then constantly be forking out haha.
Yes, you can cancel immediately after payment. After submitting, choose Payment Information and then press cancel.

If anyone has problems cancelling or can't find where to, you check the FAQ or message me.

Annuvin said:
Also, slightly unrelated, but don't you guys think the titles would look better above ranks?
I think it's more important to be able to distinguish who moderators are in support, suggestion, and moderator related threads. Although my initial thought was like yours after I saw it implemented (maybe it's a bit weird?), I think the extra spacing is a bit nice. Otherwise I'll feel an itch to colour co-ordinate my avatar to the red...
KinetaSep 17, 2016 6:06 AM
Sep 17, 2016 6:01 AM
Apr 2013
Kuromii said:

You're really going to try and tell me that THIS looks better than THIS? Try harder.

Yeah. Too many senseless colours, rubbish background, poor choice of primary font and I can barely read the words on the title bar.

OT: Guys please stop bashing Kineta and whoever mods that supports MAL or advocates this new system. They are just users, not developers nor decision makers. Your hate or complaint should be directed at DeNa or even Xinil since they are directly involved with MAL development.
Sep 17, 2016 6:11 AM

Mar 2013
Honestly, I genuinely digress what I had mentioned before and actually trust them when they say they have no intentions of monopolizing the users supporting the site. and no, this isn't me buying into some PR-like bullshit.

I've no right to speak for the user's prior to the year I joined, but whether some users do or don't think that MAL is heading into the right direction as far as updates and implementations go is sort of beyond the point imho.

I look at it from a standpoint where MAL was evidently in an absolute gutter under the hands of Crave Online, in that,

- Updates and implementations were nearly nonexistent and the most we'd see are fixes for issues/bugs throughout mal
- When those issues were being fixed, it'd take months longer than the promised dates. (Thank you based MAL for fixing img codes, granted half a year later than promised)
- Lag spikes would last for several hours sometimes
- Anime/Manga lists took countless days to finally update
- SSJMaster was a prominent threat to MAL
- The site became a gore-infested image host at one point (SSJMaster)
- The entirety of MAL was shut down for an entire day (Also SSJMaster, although I think he did a good portion of the MAL users a favor by having them do something other than MALing all day, so we'll give you that one.)
- An update to MAL meant wonders
- The list goes on and on tbh.

***While I'm at it, I should let it be known that I still think those were objectivelysome of the best and most entertaining times MAL could have offered. The community did a damn good job making light of what was a god-awful Crave Online that seemed to have given little to no shits about MAL and its community. The Mods/Admins at the very least did the best they can to maintain the site.

All said and done, if my $3 can help maintain and prevent those things from ever happening anymore in the near future, then I'll more than gladly sacrifice one cup of coffee each month to make that happen.
Happy Halloween
Sep 17, 2016 6:22 AM

Aug 2012
PDot19 said:
***While I'm at it, I should let it be known that I still think those were objectivelysome of the best and most entertaining times MAL could have offered.

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed those times when the MAL Staff was literally in distress on what to do. Ah, fun times.
Sep 17, 2016 6:25 AM

Oct 2007
worldeditor11 said:
Kuromii said:

You're really going to try and tell me that THIS looks better than THIS? Try harder.

Yeah. Too many senseless colours, rubbish background, poor choice of primary font and I can barely read the words on the title bar.

Well I chose the background based on my own preferences, but anyone can choose their own background. It isn't part of the theme. I like the colours. The font can be changed. What I was getting at was the organisation of the profile and the overall feel, not the colours and the background I chose, but nevermind.
Sep 17, 2016 6:25 AM
Apr 2013
I don't think comparing CraveOnline and DeNa applies in this case. This is similar to comparing one tyrant with another existing within a country instead of comparing with other countries' rulers. In this case, with other websites, not just in MAL exclusively.
Sep 17, 2016 6:26 AM

Oct 2012
Kineta said:

Jiharo said:
Also, can I change the forum title thing for the removal of profile character limit? I have no use for the forum title since I barely even use the forums. @Xinil @Kineta
You're the only person I know who has ever run out of characters on the profile about me, Jiharo. If you put some of your character favourites into a blog (like many other users), you'd have enough space. I mean, you have almost 500 :)

I'm sure there are others but I'm the only vocal one. :|

So can it be done? I don't even need the profile badge. I just want the removal of profile character limit. Pretty please? :(

I can't put them in a blog for reasons. :|
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
Sep 17, 2016 6:26 AM

Aug 2008
12 years and still so far away from AniDB in every possible aspect, and now support plan to remove ads... R.I.P. MAL!!! Never expected you to go this low...

And these cash only badges and titles... It's like we are in a cheap pay 2 win asian MMORPG... *clap* *clap* disappointment over 9000
nikolai131Sep 17, 2016 6:34 AM

My Anime Lists: AniDB & MAL
Sep 17, 2016 6:28 AM

Apr 2012
$3/month is cheap even for the so called "3rd world country standard" (I hate this words, but u do get my point right). I'll be more than happy to throw some bucks if only more payments method implemented. Keep a note while many of us here in SEA do have some money to spend around easily, most dont know how to spend them online. Some dont have card nor paypal account. Some services allow their users to pay their need at konbini (steam, other online game services, most online shops) or even using mobile phone account (spotify, google play, etc) , this'll help a lot. I do aware this'll fly the price higher, but another buck wont hurts much.
Sep 17, 2016 6:31 AM

Mar 2013
worldeditor11 said:
I don't think comparing CraveOnline and DeNa applies in this case. This is similar to comparing one tyrant with another existing within a country instead of comparing with other countries' rulers. In this case, with other websites, not just in MAL exclusively.
I'm not xinil so I couldn't answer that for you, however it's rather obvious Crave Online was holding back MAL from progressing even in the slightest.

I can also tell you that we haven't had any of the aforementioned issues ever since DeNa took over.

julyan said:
PDot19 said:
***While I'm at it, I should let it be known that I still think those were objectivelysome of the best and most entertaining times MAL could have offered.

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed those times when the MAL Staff was literally in distress on what to do. Ah, fun times.
That was admittedly yet another matter to make light of.
t'was indeed fun times
Happy Halloween
Sep 17, 2016 6:40 AM
Apr 2013
PDot19 said:
worldeditor11 said:
I'm not xinil so I couldn't answer that for you, however it's rather obvious Crave Online was holding back MAL from progressing even in the slightest.

I can also tell you that we haven't had any of the aforementioned issues ever since DeNa took over.

Yes, CraveOnline was indeed impeding MAL's progress as a website but unlike DeNa where MAL suffers from regression, it remained stagnant.

Most of the issues regarding CraveOnline occupancy were pretty much dealt with when DeNa took over. But you must ask yourself, did they introduce any new major problems on the way?

Sep 17, 2016 6:47 AM

Aug 2008
PDot19 said:

Implying that MAL is progressing now... lel
Instead of fixing the rating and popularity system, that I've been waiting for nearly 10 years now, like stronger "weight", not counting votes of people who haven't seen a single episode of the series and not counting users who haven't seen a single episode yet again in their popularity rankings... And fixing another over 9000 things, add achievements and so on to keep the community entertained. Better organising functions for your profile etc. etc.

At the end we have this... another system to put money in their pockets and give nothing in return... Well I guess me and quite a few friends will be leaving this site for good...

My Anime Lists: AniDB & MAL
Sep 17, 2016 6:50 AM

Mar 2013
worldeditor11 said:
PDot19 said:

Yes, CraveOnline was indeed impeding MAL's progress as a website but unlike DeNa where MAL suffers from regression, it remained stagnant.

Most of the issues regarding CraveOnline occupancy were pretty much dealt with when DeNa took over. But you must ask yourself, did they introduce any new major problems on the way?

Fact of the matter is that DeNa seems to have dealt with most of the problems that Crave Online apposed on MAL.
Problems are inevitable and if they aren't dealt with then something's obviously not right.

Whether users find the updates being added to be a problem or not is rather subjective. The ones that dislike them seem to voice their opinions abundantly or just use their own scripts.
Happy Halloween
Sep 17, 2016 6:57 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Zazie122 said:
Kineta said:

YouTube gets a cut, surely.

Are you talking about Youtube Red or Patreon? Because Patreon has nothing to do with Youtube.

Youtube Red on the other hand you pay $9.99 a month for it. You get no ads, access to some extra content, and some of the revenue is split between the content creators you watch. So, in this case you are right. But what I feel you are actually talking about is Patreon.

Patreon is a 3rd party site for content creators of any type (not just video creators, but artists, bloggers, indie game developers, etc) to be able to get paid for their on going projects. Why does this exist? Well, because for a lot of creators ad revenue isn't enough for them to do this kind of work full time so by getting support directly from fans they can.
Sep 17, 2016 7:18 AM

Mar 2012
My view on the visual aspect of forum titles is that now the user info/avatar area is a bit crowded. Especially in the case of staff, where you now have seven things (username, staff title, forum title, avatar, online/offline, joined date, post count).

I personally favour the removal of online/offline and joined date. If online/offline is a must have, it could be incorporated in a neater way; for example, by showing a little green or grey circle beside the username. You can see a user's joined date on their profile. I'm not sure that it's essential forum information. It can be useful for discerning troll accounts (usually created in the present month), but otherwise I think the main consequence is to prejudice users towards taking older users more seriously.

Not a big deal, regardless.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 17, 2016 8:03 AM

Jun 2015
If paypal becomes an option, I'll probably help out (would have to learn about paypal in the first place) since 3$ is relatively cheap. Credit cards are too much hassle to get in here, what with no prepaid ones and I wouldn't ever dream of paying on credit.

Although, I think that instead of removing ads entirely whe you support, I'd rather have the option to have them be manually turned on and off, with default at off, in case some people are fine with the ads.
Sep 17, 2016 8:05 AM

Feb 2012
Holy crap, it just had to happen at some point
Sep 17, 2016 8:12 AM
Sep 2014
roby666 said:
So the idea is for users to fund new non-essential MAL features you will later be able to make even more money off, right?
Because the pricing right now is pretty steep without getting anything useful in return. And ads are more than sufficient to maintain text based lists and forums.

Imo you'd be better off opening a webshop with anime merchandise, anything from simple cheap keychains or pens up to expensive figurines. And then at least giving the supporters some kind of discounts or simple freebies.
I think the fallacy here is that you're treating this as paying for a service. You're not. Becoming a MAL supporter is essentially donating toward the continued development and upkeep of the site. Think of the title and badge as the cookie and sticker they give you after donating blood. MAL can't give us much but they want to give us a way to show off our support if we do choose to donate. I can't comment on the price as everyone has a different economic situation or the merch shop as that's a whole different ballpark but I hope my perspective was able to show the situation in a new light.

Josh said:
My view on the visual aspect of forum titles is that now the user info/avatar area is a bit crowded. Especially in the case of staff, where you now have seven things (username, staff title, forum title, avatar, online/offline, joined date, post count).

I personally favour the removal of online/offline and joined date. If online/offline is a must have, it could be incorporated in a neater way; for example, by showing a little green or grey circle beside the username. You can see a user's joined date on their profile. I'm not sure that it's essential forum information. It can be useful for discerning troll accounts (usually created in the present month), but otherwise I think the main consequence is to prejudice users towards taking older users more seriously.

Not a big deal, regardless.
All great points. To expound on this the Online/Offline indicator is often incorrect as I've seen it say offline when someone had just been active several minutes beforehand. If moving the joined date off of the avatar area and just having it on the profile is something ever put into practice, I think the Online/Offline should go with it as user profiles are the only real reliable way to tell if someone is using the site or not.
TyrelSep 17, 2016 2:25 PM
Sep 17, 2016 10:42 AM

Feb 2015

as soon as i come across any porno shotacon ads, i'll get back to you.
Sep 17, 2016 10:43 AM

Dec 2011
Tsun said:
roby666 said:
So the idea is for users to fund new non-essential MAL features you will later be able to make even more money off, right?
Because the pricing right now is pretty steep without getting anything useful in return. And ads are more than sufficient to maintain text based lists and forums.

Imo you'd be better off opening a webshop with anime merchandise, anything from simple cheap keychains or pens up to expensive figurines. And then at least giving the supporters some kind of discounts or simple freebies.
I think the fallacy here is that you're treating this as paying for a service. You're not. Becoming a MAL supporter is essentially donating toward the continued development and upkeep of the site. Think of the title and badge as the cookie and sticker they give you after donating blood. MAL can't give us much but they want to give us a way to show off our support if we do choose to donate. I can't comment on the price as everyone has a different economic situation or the merch shop as that's a whole different ballpark but I hope my perspective was able to show the situation in a new light.

Idk, it's just a weird monetization concept to me. It's weird how it became a necessity. Especially for a site that doesn't host anime or manga, it only keeps a list of your content. And for me that content is less than 200KB in size in the form of exported XML files.

But yeah, to explain myself a bit more.
I don't mind donating for a cause, like server upgrades so I can get a more reliable service.
I don't mind being offered merchandise from a webshop where sale profits go towards site upkeep.
Affiliate marketing is also fine with me since it's a great way to discover new products.
And monthly subscriptions are also no stranger to me. Be it Netflix, Crunchyroll or cloud storage, I'm getting something awesome in return while the companies make a profit.

But simply giving away money on a regular basis to a "billion dollar company" who "wants higher revenue"... Kinda reeks. As I said, countless sites and forums get by only with ad revenue. And if that honestly isn't enough, a site owned by such a huge company should without a doubt be able to come up with a few proper revenue streams. Because what they're doing now strongly reminds me of... well, begging.
Needless to say, MAL has a great potential to earn money while simultaneously giving something to the users. Each anime info page could contain a link or two to products related to that anime, or simply contain that in a visible tab. Each time you come update your episode count you could see something different and/or new and if you loved that show you'd likely be inclined towards buying that merchandise, be it an official DVD release or a sticker.

I mean, it's great if the sheer satisfaction of being a supporter is reason enough for you to pay up monthly.
For 3 bucks a month it seems like a shady deal to me considering MAL has a decent user base, low cost per user and quite a bit of unobtrusive ads on each page. Can't shake the feeling I'd be filling some executives pockets lol

Sorry, I'm just kinda bored today to have bothered commenting on this so much so I'm going to stop.
Hope the anime centric webshop idea comes to fruition someday tho, it's tiring to search for stuff that might not even exist (─‿‿─)
Sep 17, 2016 11:14 AM

Apr 2015
We need more than a custom title for $3/month
Sep 17, 2016 11:58 AM

May 2008
I will do it once the paypal payment is available. Thank you.
Sep 17, 2016 12:09 PM

Jan 2009
That Feel when you want to support and have the Money to pay, but no Options to do a Transaction. Today, (Saturday Evening), I went to a Gas Station, since I needed to fill up the Tank, anyway. I asked about a Prepaid Card with Visa or Master, but got told that they only have Paysafe Cards and Mobile Cards. Then I went to a bigger Supermarket and could only find Itunes Cards, Mobile Cards and Gift Cards. The Toto-Lotto (small Shop with Magazines, Cigars and Lottery Tickets) was closed and so was another Gas Station.

So yeah, if you want my Money, get me a Method I can use without having to request a Credit Card and without having to pay any additional annual Fees. I can do with subduing a small Transaction Fee, but I don't like to pay for something I would use for one little Payment.
Sep 17, 2016 12:27 PM
May 2015
I will only subscribe if being a supporter allows you to make posts without a mininum character limit.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 17, 2016 1:14 PM

Jan 2009
Just read in the Description that the Subscription automatically prolongs. I dislike anything of that Sort. At least, it's not in the Fine Print or else it could lead to some legal Trouble over here against Online Subscription Traps ("Abofallen"). Would like to know whether the Subscription gets automatically canceled if there is not enough Money for the next Month on a Prepaid Card (if I could use a PSC) and whether you can pay Money in Advance with another Card before the Time runs out to extend the Period of Time for which you have the Status as a Supporter.
Sep 17, 2016 1:39 PM
Nov 2015
And next year you have to pay 100 to register an account.
And the year after, you have to pay 500$ to login once.
Sep 17, 2016 2:17 PM

May 2009
That title doesn't look like it has $3 worth of effort put into it. It needs glitter and a spinning animation before I even consider paying money for it.

Also I want all my posts to pulsate rapidly and play my favorite song for anyone viewing the page as soon as it loads. If there are multiple supporters on the page, it will play the song of whoever has better taste in anime.

You're welcome for the feedback, I will wait patiently for you to implement these wonderful features.

Latest Review
Kino's Journey
Sep 17, 2016 2:21 PM

Mar 2012
Noboru said:
Just read in the Description that the Subscription automatically prolongs. I dislike anything of that Sort. At least, it's not in the Fine Print or else it could lead to some legal Trouble over here against Online Subscription Traps ("Abofallen"). Would like to know whether the Subscription gets automatically canceled if there is not enough Money for the next Month on a Prepaid Card (if I could use a PSC) and whether you can pay Money in Advance with another Card before the Time runs out to extend the Period of Time for which you have the Status as a Supporter.
You can cancel automatic renewal immediately after subscribing. I did and it took me about 30 seconds.
LoneWolf said:
Sep 17, 2016 2:41 PM

Apr 2014
Kuromii said:
@dave TL;DR but one point I will answer is that I have made a lot of posts detailing how MAL can improve and be made to look better already, I'm not going to repeat myself again here. So yeah, I have already contributed my thoughts and many suggestions as to how to improve MAL, I haven't been sat here yelling "ITS SHIT" whilst not giving any suggestions, they're just elsewhere on the forum.

Link them then. I don't know why you're so fast to immediately jump on the profiles as a point and you can make long posts about them, but you can't make any point for anything else you mention when you say "other stuff". You're trying really hard to avoid answering the questions before you, miss.

Yes, the site was better when it had less. It is a database and listing site, not a "lets cram as much as possible in here" site. But at the end of the day I do not use those new features and most of the obnoxious stuff on the home page is hidden by the user script I run, so I don't mind so much anymore.

It's still a database and listing site with a forum? Most of the front page has top do with popular database entries, news, reviews and forum aside from the promotional stuff which takes probably less than 10% of the front page. ?????. I don't understand what you mean here. Please explain what parts of the front page are useless or "crammed in here".

You're really going to try and tell me that THIS looks better than THIS? Try harder. Again, I have already detailed what doesn't work and what does/did with the profiles on the relevant forum thread, so no I will not go on about them here.

LOL. It's the exact same layout with the about me moved below and a rainbow of colors with some color clashing background. Any website design person will tell you that's a terrible layout because the many colors and vibrancy of it creates confusion and lacks simplicity as well as poor choices of font and illegible text areas.

It's like looking at this. It's very hard to read and understand without taking more time to comprehend it.

I get it. You like da pwetty colors. xd. But it doesn't make it a good base website design. Sorry.

You're trying really hard to say a lot without saying anything. Link your ideas. Express yourself. You've only expressed the profiles. But you continuously claim there are other areas that also concern you, but make no effort to communicate them. All apparently coming together to lead you to the conclusion that you do not want to donate. That's fine. But I just think you should just say "I'm not donating because I don't like the profiles", instead of trying really really hard to say something more, sounding pretentious that there are multiple reasons. Because that's how you've come off in every post. You'll go in-depth about profiles, but nothing else.
Sep 17, 2016 3:13 PM

Jan 2009
Josh said:
You can cancel automatic renewal immediately after subscribing. I did and it took me about 30 seconds.
Yes, but the Point is, rather than create an Opt-out where the Subscription gets automatically renewed, they should make it as Opt-in, where you yourself have to explicitly confirm that you want to continue to use that Service.
Sep 17, 2016 3:16 PM
Jan 2016
Memberships!

This idea seems perfectly fine due to how its worded. Its clearly titled, "The MAL Supporter Plan" which in return seems pretty likely you are doing it to well..support MAL.

I'm curious if this will lead to other things but I think its way too soon to judge that.
Sep 17, 2016 3:58 PM
anime pervert

Apr 2013
plz add paypal or E-banking as payment method :I
Sep 17, 2016 4:08 PM

Mar 2012
Noboru said:
Josh said:
Yes, but the Point is, rather than create an Opt-out where the Subscription gets automatically renewed, they should make it as Opt-in, where you yourself have to explicitly confirm that you want to continue to use that Service.
I agree, but unfortunately most subscriptions use opt-out. At least MAL's is very easy to cancel. Often companies make you jump through hoops in the hopes that you'll give up on cancelling.
LoneWolf said:
Sep 17, 2016 4:16 PM

Jan 2009
Josh said:
Noboru said:
I agree, but unfortunately most subscriptions use opt-out. At least MAL's is very easy to cancel. Often companies make you jump through hoops in the hopes that you'll give up on cancelling.
Which is why MAL should use Opt-ins to avoid being linked to those Kinds of Deals and having People possibly being turned off because of this.
Sep 17, 2016 6:31 PM

Mar 2015
Add a title under one's screenname and hide ads? Really guys? lol

You guys need money, which is understandable, but what you're offering in exchange is laughable at best.

Adblock already takes care of the ads. As for those titles, most newly-paying subscribers are likely happy about this feature because it makes them 'special' compared to the rest of MAL's users. The more people sign up for the MAL Supporter plan the more common, and thus less special, these titles will become though, which might very well cause many people to not have an incentive in subscribing to you guys' plan eventually.

So, yeah, no thank you.
Je trempe mes cookies dans tes larmes.
Sep 17, 2016 6:31 PM

Aug 2015
TomDay said:
as soon as i come across any porno shotacon ads, i'll get back to you.
well at least you can block that shotacon ad[insert something something software here]how is your privacy doing boy ?
ultravigoSep 17, 2016 6:34 PM
Sep 17, 2016 6:55 PM

Jul 2015
I use mal mostly on my phone and it loads faster. No redirects. I can see what i'm writting without having to unclick an add.

Would it be possible to have an optional badge in lieu of a forum title?
Sep 17, 2016 7:48 PM

Dec 2014
RedaJaNai said:
Add a title under one's screenname and hide ads? Really guys? lol

You guys need money, which is understandable, but what you're offering in exchange is laughable at best.

Adblock already takes care of the ads. As for those titles, most newly-paying subscribers are likely happy about this feature because it makes them 'special' compared to the rest of MAL's users. The more people sign up for the MAL Supporter plan the more common, and thus less special, these titles will become though, which might very well cause many people to not have an incentive in subscribing to you guys' plan eventually.

So, yeah, no thank you.

The main reason people even consider buying into the model is just to support MAL. I couldn't care less about the perks. The staff is hard working and really does try to listen to its users. The whole weighted review fiasco last year took lots of back and forth from the users and the staff, and while what we have right now isn't perfect, I honestly can't think of a better solution. That's the sort of behavior that urged me to want to help them since I use this site every day.

But the thing preventing me from doing so right now is that I only have a Discover card... Get PayPal.

Honestly, to help break the image of MAL being cash grabbers, having a monthly opt-in instead of just an opt-out as one user suggested would be really nice.
I need sleep.
Sep 17, 2016 7:59 PM

Oct 2007
I guess, I've only actively used this site for a meager 9 years.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

207 by Shin_016 »»
Yesterday, 7:32 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Yesterday, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.