Forum Settings
Forums
your name.
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 15, 2016 6:14 AM
Sep 2016
What do you think, I guess it's a masterpiece but judges were not fond of anime. I don't give a shit tho if that won't happen, but what do you think and what would be your reaction if they recognize this.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 15, 2016 6:22 AM

Apr 2015
Best animated film is such a screwed category. 80% of the voters either don't watch any of them or only watch the ones their kids do. One of them referred to Princess Kaguya as a "freakin’ Chinese fuckin’ thing that nobody ever freakin’ saw."
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 15, 2016 6:52 AM
Sep 2016
They might ride the hype tho.
CatSoul said:
Best animated film is such a screwed category. 80% of the voters either don't watch any of them or only watch the ones their kids do. One of them referred to Princess Kaguya as a "freakin’ Chinese fuckin’ thing that nobody ever freakin’ saw."
they might ride the hype train though.
Sep 15, 2016 1:07 PM

Mar 2010
In an alternate universe, possibly. It would be one of the more undeserved oscars of all time.
Sep 15, 2016 1:40 PM

Mar 2016
I doubt the people running the oscars have even heard of this movie tbh
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Sep 15, 2016 2:09 PM
Dec 2012
FullyErect said:
This.
This movie will be one of those that hardly any 'officials' care about outside Japan.
Sep 15, 2016 2:13 PM
Jul 2015
iceaco said:
FullyErect said:
This.
This movie will be one of those that hardly any 'officials' care about outside Japan.

Is that why it is the first animated movie to enter BFI competition ?
Sep 15, 2016 2:16 PM

Feb 2013
Hotarubi no Mori e is the best movie I've seen yet.
Kimi no na wa is average, nothing special about it.
Sep 15, 2016 3:34 PM
Dec 2012
Dab1za9 said:
Ghibli stuff never did?
Sep 15, 2016 3:43 PM

Mar 2016

Dab1za9 said:
iceaco said:
This.

That's more because it happened to screen at a film festival in England so it became eligible and any eligible movie can be nominated. The movie's been screened in LA here but that doesn't mean it'll be recognized at the oscars.
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Sep 15, 2016 3:56 PM

Feb 2016
Oscars are a joke popular entertainment medium as well so it might get nominated.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Sep 15, 2016 3:57 PM
Sep 2016
Let's see just like I said they might ride the hype. I know your reservations towards the story but if we scrap that and focus on the animation then this one is one of the best.
Sep 15, 2016 3:59 PM
Jul 2015
iceaco said:
Dab1za9 said:
Ghibli stuff never did?

Nope even The Red turtle will be screened there but will not enter the competition.

FullyErect said:

That's more because it happened to screen at a film festival in England so it became eligible and any eligible movie can be nominated. The movie's been screened in LA here but that doesn't mean it'll be recognized at the oscars.

It never screened in England, BFI will be the first time it screened in England.

It will be eligible for an Oscar when Funimation screen it but who knows when will they do it and who know what will they choose.
Dab1za9Sep 15, 2016 6:44 PM
Sep 15, 2016 4:00 PM
Nov 2013
Ulquiorra said:

Average plot and below average characterization + pretty animation and sound = Masterpiece, Haven't you heard??
Sep 15, 2016 5:16 PM

Aug 2015
Bowie said:
I'm with the judges here, no one outside of the weeb community cares for this movie.

It is on pace to make more money than Star Wars: The Force Awakens did in Japan (and in doing so become their top grossing film of 2016), so based on that objective evidence I would have to disagree with you.

The possibility of an Oscar nomination really depends on how Funimation handles the film's release. If they go big with it in the US it could happen. Given the favoritism the Academy shows towards Pixar, I'd expect Finding Dory to be the winner no matter whatever else gets nominated, but it would be a big boost for Makoto Shinkai's career.
TheKillerAngelSep 15, 2016 5:22 PM
Sep 15, 2016 5:18 PM

Jan 2014
TheKillerAngel said:
Bowie said:
I'm with the judges here, no one outside of the weeb community cares for this movie.

It is on pace to make more money than Star Wars: The Force Awakens did in Japan (and in doing so become their top grossing film of 2016), so based on that objective evidence I would have to disagree with you.
In Japan, nice evidence though.
Sep 15, 2016 5:22 PM

Jan 2015
U should started sending the tape to oscar voter house if that is

la critique de l'intention pure
Sep 15, 2016 5:22 PM

Aug 2015
Bowie said:
TheKillerAngel said:

Japan is like the 2nd-4th biggest foreign film market (behind either China and/or the France+UK and India), depending on which data source you use, so I'd say that's still a pretty big achievement.
Sep 15, 2016 5:26 PM

Jan 2014
TheKillerAngel said:
Bowie said:

Japan is like the 2nd-4th biggest foreign film market (behind either China and/or the France+UK and India), depending on which data source you use, so I'd say that's still a pretty big achievement.
Remember I said out of the weeb community. Congrats for being a big hit in its homeland though. Such a big achievement.
Sep 15, 2016 5:39 PM
Dec 2012
Yeah, as much as I like the story and execution, and even if it's a record-breaking hit in Japan, it doesn't always translate that well to the international community.
The general prejudice view of Japanese animation in the international community is it's for the younger crowd and therefore not taken as seriously outside the children film nominations.

We can hope, but don't bet on it. French animation would have a higher chance I feel.
Sep 16, 2016 2:39 AM
Sep 2016
iceaco said:
Yeah, as much as I like the story and execution, and even if it's a record-breaking hit in Japan, it doesn't always translate that well to the international community.
The general prejudice view of Japanese animation in the international community is it's for the younger crowd and therefore not taken as seriously outside the children film nominations.

We can hope, but don't bet on it. French animation would have a higher chance I feel.
so finding dory is not for kids?
Sep 16, 2016 2:52 AM

Jun 2016
With the oscars its pretty much guaranteed that a gay french cartoon wins.
Anyway, I'd rather not have anime be tainted by shitty western bullshit like the farce that is the Oscars.
More recognition in the west = more chance western bullshit gets forced into anime.
Sep 16, 2016 6:05 AM
Dec 2012
Shadowguy77 said:
so finding dory is not for kids?
Ironically it's categorized more as a 'family' movie rather than kids, therefore more exposure.

If I tell my Asian parents I'm watching Finding Dory, they'll be like 'have fun with your friends'
If I tell them I'm watching anime, they'll be like 'don't you ever grow up?'
Sep 16, 2016 2:52 PM

Nov 2013
Will never happen...
Hollywood prefers to give his own shit movies and animations a crap award that means nothing.
Sep 16, 2016 2:59 PM

Nov 2008
Statistically this is the best that anime has to offer based on ratings and the sample size sure as hell is big enough already (9.4 and over 7000 votes). Anyone that is going to the opposite extreme of critique has tall poppy syndrome or really hates that their precious little gem did not get as much attention as this movie. It might not be perfect but arguing the extreme opposite indicates the aforementioned and a thirst for online conflict. Japan's population is over 127 million so it really is "such a big achievement" to out gross a foreign major film.

In another sample 539 out of 601 voters on the episode discussion thread "loved it" and gave it a 5/5. 571 voters out of 601 either "loved it" or "liked it". The data below that would be so many standard deviations away from the mean that you could almost write it off as troll outliers.

In saying that is won't even get nominated for an Oscar, which aren't worth the scrap they are written on. Community ratings are much more telling than critics opinions, who need their favorite boxes ticked to feel elite.
http://www.youtube.com/swiftstylez - My AMV's. I would really appreciate any comments and ratings :]

Sep 16, 2016 3:36 PM
Jul 2015
Oscars is a joke anyway. Watch Adam

Sep 17, 2016 10:29 AM
Nov 2013
Swiftstylez said:
Statistically this is the best that anime has to offer based on ratings and the sample size sure as hell is big enough already (9.4 and over 7000 votes). Anyone that is going to the opposite extreme of critique has tall poppy syndrome or really hates that their precious little gem did not get as much attention as this movie. It might not be perfect but arguing the extreme opposite indicates the aforementioned and a thirst for online conflict.

In another sample 539 out of 601 voters on the episode discussion thread "loved it" and gave it a 5/5. 571 voters out of 601 either "loved it" or "liked it". The data below that would be so many standard deviations away from the mean that you could almost write it off as troll outliers.

Community ratings are much more telling than critics opinions, who need their favorite boxes ticked to feel elite.

I'd put far more stock into the current "#2 Anime" FMA:B, which was scored by over 400,000 users and still has a high rating, rather than "statistically the best that anime has to offer" at a measly 7,000. The argument that "you rated it low because your jealous your favorite isn't rated higher" is asinine and will always be asinine and I don't know why people continue to moronically say it. If you actually read some of the negative reviews that point out the flaws in this film you might come to realize that their opinion is far from invalid or a thirst for conflict.

I'm assuming only people who really liked the film would go on that forum post. I know that for things I don't like I don't ever feel the need to go on a forum and down vote on it. The ones that did down vote probably are trolls, but it doesn't change the fact that if you liked it you'd want to go and show that you like it.

A critic who actually gives critical and rationally thought out analyses on a work has more weight to their opinion than some fan boy who rates everything a 10/10.
Sep 17, 2016 10:52 AM

Jul 2013
TheKillerAngel said:
The possibility of an Oscar nomination really depends on how Funimation handles the film's release. If they go big with it in the US it could happen.

Basically this. It'd have to break out of the usual anime-watching audience and into a broader general audience. How possible that is though I can't say for sure because I'm not sure how dependable Funimation is.
Sep 17, 2016 11:02 AM

Aug 2015
ZachM said:
Swiftstylez said:
Statistically this is the best that anime has to offer based on ratings and the sample size sure as hell is big enough already (9.4 and over 7000 votes). Anyone that is going to the opposite extreme of critique has tall poppy syndrome or really hates that their precious little gem did not get as much attention as this movie. It might not be perfect but arguing the extreme opposite indicates the aforementioned and a thirst for online conflict.

Community ratings are much more telling than critics opinions, who need their favorite boxes ticked to feel elite.

I'd put far more stock into the current "#2 Anime" FMA:B, which was scored by over 400,000 users and still has a high rating, rather than "statistically the best that anime has to offer" at a measly 7,000. The argument that "you rated it low because your jealous your favorite isn't rated higher" is asinine and will always be asinine and I don't know why people continue to moronically say it. If you actually read some of the negative reviews that point out the flaws in this film you might come to realize that their opinion is far from invalid or a thirst for conflict.

I'm assuming only people who really liked the film would go on that forum post. I know that for things I don't like I don't ever feel the need to go on a forum and down vote on it. The ones that did down vote probably are trolls, but it doesn't change the fact that if you liked it you'd want to go and show that you like it.

A critic who actually gives critical and rationally thought out analyses on a work has more weight to their opinion than some fan boy who rates everything a 10/10.

It's been scored by about the same number of people as LoGH, so if you want to make the argument that the sample size for this film is too small, you'd have to say the same for LoGH.
Sep 17, 2016 12:20 PM
Nov 2013
TheKillerAngel said:
ZachM said:

It's been scored by about the same number of people as LoGH, so if you want to make the argument that the sample size for this film is too small, you'd have to say the same for LoGH.

It is the same for LoGH. With so few scores, there can't really be a definitive consensus for either one. Both scores would/will likely drop if they got hundreds of thousands more scores from more users.
Sep 17, 2016 12:26 PM

Aug 2015
ZachM said:
TheKillerAngel said:

It is the same for LoGH. With so few scores, there can't really be a definitive consensus for either one. Both scores would/will likely drop if they got hundreds of thousands more scores from more users.

How do you interpret MAL rankings? Are they an indication of the "greatest" titles or are they something else to you?
Sep 17, 2016 12:40 PM

Dec 2014
I don't think this is Oscars standard.

To be honest, this story is just your normal light novel story.

People are so hyped and so excited just because it came from Makoto Shinkai.

I am not saying I don't like this movie but still, it gives me the feeling, this is just another story of light novel but came from someone famous instead.
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Sep 17, 2016 1:39 PM
Dec 2012
Oscar's is not just story.
There's also music and picture/animation.
But still, from the history of Oscar, I don't believe it's gonna bother with some random foreign film with some unknown director.

When the Wind Rises aired in the US theaters, I randomly found it in a nearby theater, but there was nonexistent advertising. I believe that this movie won't have sufficient advertising in the US anyway, so these western awards would be a far cry.
Sep 17, 2016 3:44 PM
Nov 2013
TheKillerAngel said:
ZachM said:

How do you interpret MAL rankings? Are they an indication of the "greatest" titles or are they something else to you?

Well, all the ratings should be taken with a grain of salt, as it's not like everyone is going to agree with the majority. The ratings just show what anime are the most agreed upon as being good. There is no "greatest anime" because everything is subjective. LoGH I'm sure is worthy of its rating, but nobody should look at it like "oh its a 9.07 then it MUST be good?!" The only thing I'd prefer with ratings is that less polarizing things stay out of the top 30.

But with that said, the rating system is also broken. The fact that you can hold something judged by 400,000 and something judged by 7,000 in the same breath makes no sense in the first place. Plus the issue with second season shows, as it's not like people who disliked a first season are gonna watch the second, so you have an issue of having almost only people who love it watching and rating it highly.
ZachMSep 17, 2016 3:47 PM
Sep 17, 2016 4:55 PM

Jun 2016
It's possible if the judges watched the movie and judging the movie fair enough, but it's still unlikely to won a Oscar award because of the many more well-known animated movies out there.
Sep 17, 2016 4:57 PM

Apr 2016
Another troll account to post shit and upvote the film :D

This is just another average film with a mediocre plot and beautiful animation,I don't even get how can you see the potential in it,I would like to nominate "SAO" for the best tv series if it's possible but that's not quite how it works.
The taste of western people and japanese+weebs obsessed with Japanese culture are entirely different,the score will go down eventually sooner or later.
Nobody gives an f about box office collection outside the community,the amount of money it'll ever gross is equal to the first-hour collection of biggies by Pixar or any other well-known studio.
Sep 17, 2016 5:03 PM

Apr 2016
http://www.imdb.com/event/ev0000404/2016?ref_=ttawd_ev_1
Look at other nominations,it's not that of a big deal and it won't be surprising either if it ends up winning as well,I hope so but the academy is nothing like this so your dreams are kind of unreal.
Hayao Miyazaki is on whole another level,his legacy will remain untouched so stop comparing him with Shinkai or any other modern directors,PLEASE.
R_TFSep 18, 2016 10:04 AM
Sep 17, 2016 5:14 PM
Apr 2012
Nah oscars are racist as fuck.
Sep 17, 2016 5:35 PM

Aug 2015
ZachM said:
TheKillerAngel said:

Well, all the ratings should be taken with a grain of salt, as it's not like everyone is going to agree with the majority. The ratings just show what anime are the most agreed upon as being good. There is no "greatest anime" because everything is subjective. LoGH I'm sure is worthy of its rating, but nobody should look at it like "oh its a 9.07 then it MUST be good?!" The only thing I'd prefer with ratings is that less polarizing things stay out of the top 30.

But with that said, the rating system is also broken. The fact that you can hold something judged by 400,000 and something judged by 7,000 in the same breath makes no sense in the first place. Plus the issue with second season shows, as it's not like people who disliked a first season are gonna watch the second, so you have an issue of having almost only people who love it watching and rating it highly.

It's about 20,000 votes now, which is more than a lot of titles on this site.
TheKillerAngelSep 17, 2016 5:40 PM
Sep 17, 2016 9:52 PM

Feb 2013
Ulquiorra said:
Hotarubi no Mori e is the best movie I've seen yet.

I never got the hyper about Hotarubi no Mori e, seems so average. fck it ima rewatch it
Sep 17, 2016 10:16 PM

May 2015
CatSoul said:
this

the academy doesnt give a shit about animation, let alone anime
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Sep 18, 2016 1:40 AM
Sep 2016
RoyTF said:

This is just another average film with a mediocre plot and beautiful animation,I don't even get how can you see the potential in it,I would like to nominate "SAO" for the best tv series if it's possible but that's not quite how it works.
The taste of western people and japanese+weebs obsessed with Japanese culture are entirely different,the score will go down eventually sooner or later.
Nobody gives an f about box office collection outside the community,the amount of money it'll ever gross is equal to the first-hour collection of biggies by Pixar or any other well-known studio.

You calling me a troll and a weebo and yet you mentioned SAO. I don't give a shit about the ratings or box office thing cause If you like the movie then like it done, I don't even know why this affecting you so much and you give a damn about rating in movies. I ask a legit question cause of how Oscars used to ride hypes about things, why can't we have a non-heated conversation here, is this the reason why they called anime community cancer? DONE
Sep 18, 2016 4:02 AM

Jan 2014
RoyTF said:

Seriously, man, what the fuck are you talking about?
TapuTapuuSep 18, 2016 4:33 AM
Sep 18, 2016 9:31 AM

Oct 2013
R_TF said:

Yea I suppose weebs liking the film has to do entirely with how it was number one in the box office its opening weekend in Japan. Japanese people must be weeaboos too, right? Do you realize that not everyone who enjoys this type of anime is a Japan-obsessed weeaboo out of touch with their culture? You can like this kind of anime without acting like an idiot and disregarding your own culture.

Stop flamebaiting.

ZachM said:

Obviously, not everyone has similar tastes in anime and storytelling, so something that may seem fairly mediocre to one person may be a complete gem to another. It's not fair to assume that thinking about something critically and rationally is the best way to judge a film, since stories are meant to capture human emotion as well, which, at its core, is wholly irrational. Furthermore, this is a "youth" film on Wikipedia, which may be why older audiences do not feel as connected and are less likely to appreciate the more idealistic story. People's tastes change as they grow older, but I don't think it's fair to say that people who judge based on emotion have less of an opinion than those who judge solely through reason and objectivity (Again, nobody is perfectly objective so there's that imperfection as well.)
Sep 18, 2016 11:33 AM
Dec 2012
Please don't derail the thread to be another 'why is this shit #1 in MAL' again. We got enough of that.
Sep 18, 2016 11:56 AM
Nov 2013
suikaMUSIC said:
R_TF said:

Yea I suppose weebs liking the film has to do entirely with how it was number one in the box office its opening weekend in Japan. Japanese people must be weeaboos too, right? Do you realize that not everyone who enjoys this type of anime is a Japan-obsessed weeaboo out of touch with their culture? You can like this kind of anime without acting like an idiot and disregarding your own culture.

Stop flamebaiting.

ZachM said:

Obviously, not everyone has similar tastes in anime and storytelling, so something that may seem fairly mediocre to one person may be a complete gem to another. It's not fair to assume that thinking about something critically and rationally is the best way to judge a film, since stories are meant to capture human emotion as well, which, at its core, is wholly irrational. Furthermore, this is a "youth" film on Wikipedia, which may be why older audiences do not feel as connected and are less likely to appreciate the more idealistic story. People's tastes change as they grow older, but I don't think it's fair to say that people who judge based on emotion have less of an opinion than those who judge solely through reason and objectivity (Again, nobody is perfectly objective so there's that imperfection as well.)

Don't get me wrong, taste has everything to do with it. I just meant I'd rather someone who reviews it gives it a true and well written review that points out the flaws and if need be gives you reason why it's worthy of a watch or not. Instead of the "It has pretty art, sounds nice and I liked it therefore 10/10" that I see all the time.
Sep 18, 2016 12:44 PM

Oct 2013
ZachM said:
Don't get me wrong, taste has everything to do with it. I just meant I'd rather someone who reviews it gives it a true and well written review that points out the flaws and if need be gives you reason why it's worthy of a watch or not. Instead of the "It has pretty art, sounds nice and I liked it therefore 10/10" that I see all the time.

That's true, but in the end, MAL (and possibly anime fandom as a whole) has a dearth of legitimately good critics who can parse out the specific techniques and the way a TV anime or film presents its story as a whole, unlike actual film reviews or book reviews from established critics. I'm not saying that there's none of them out there, but it's just that the average analytical capabilities of an anime watcher are pretty limited. Such is the case for a medium the vast majority of the world regards as being "meant for children". Nobody takes anime seriously enough, not even Japan.
Sep 18, 2016 12:46 PM

Aug 2015
ZachM said:
suikaMUSIC said:

Stop flamebaiting.

Professional film critics have written about the film.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2016/08/31/films/film-reviews/name-makoto-shinkai-next-big-name-anime/
http://www.anime-now.com/entry/2016/08/26/210000

Professional film critics target a general audience and are not going to go in-depth into things that may spoil the film.
TheKillerAngelSep 18, 2016 12:50 PM
Sep 18, 2016 4:01 PM
Dec 2012
suikaMUSIC said:
Such is the case for a medium the vast majority of the world regards as being "meant for children". Nobody takes anime seriously enough, not even Japan.
I'm tempted to say 'especially Japan' just for jokes. But yeah, how hard is it to animate moving lines compared to special effects and real blood? That's what cool guys watch :p *runs*
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Na wa. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

checkdafool - Jul 3, 2016

1387 by Hphone »»
Apr 23, 4:51 AM

» The only couple that could say theyโ€™ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Is Your Name the best and worst thing to happen for Makoto Shinkai?

JuliusKingsley0 - Dec 29, 2023

47 by taleco »»
Jan 2, 1:22 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.