Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 13, 2016 4:10 AM

Jun 2016
when i first watched the movie i was aware that it was based on a japanese folk tale but haven't read it.
now after i have read the tale of the bamboo cutter i still didn't understand what was the meaning of that ending. can sombody explain it to me?
Sep 18, 2016 11:33 AM

Jun 2016
damn ,is there anybody home?
Sep 19, 2016 8:31 AM

Oct 2010
bigmustache93 said:
when i first watched the movie i was aware that it was based on a japanese folk tale but haven't read it.
now after i have read the tale of the bamboo cutter i still didn't understand what was the meaning of that ending. can sombody explain it to me?

1.When those celestial being come to take Kaguya Hime back to moon,she was under some kind of spell,losing her humanity and emotion.After that,the song sung by a bunch of children wake her up.Then,when she wear that cloth,she forget everything again and follow them back to moon.

2.However,when she almost reach moon,she heard the song sing by someone she know as mentioned in the movie.All of her memory had been erased but deep in her heart,she still remember that song.She instictly turn back to see the earth for the last time and has no idea why her eye is full of tears.*The song is sang by another goddess whom you can see her husband and her son is standing while watching at the sky.

3.Kaguya Hime reincarnate to earth because she is longing for freedom,as shown as the theme of the song that she is always singing,not because she want to become princess.Those celestial being gift(gold and kimonos)make her father think otherwise and ultimately ruin her life in the earth.

4.Kaguya Hime come to earth as punishment after she has humanity and emotion because in the moon palace,emotion is seen as baggage before one can turn into perfect being(Buddhist concept of Primary Afflictions is the root of all suffering). The punishment she face is actually a scheme of the moon palace to eliminate her yearn for human emotion that begins with the song sing by another goddess in the moon that came back from the earth.

Srry for my bad english as english is not my native language.
groundfishSep 19, 2016 10:05 AM
Signature Removed
Sep 19, 2016 11:56 AM

Jun 2016
@groundfish thanks for explanation, seems the movie is deeply Buddhist in its themes.
My interpretation of the life of kaguya and her departure from earth is a metaphor of life itself, it's short and could end earlier than we expected.
Apr 21, 2017 11:45 AM

Aug 2014
groundfish said:
bigmustache93 said:

1.When those celestial being come to take Kaguya Hime back to moon,she was under some kind of spell,losing her humanity and emotion.After that,the song sung by a bunch of children wake her up.Then,when she wear that cloth,she forget everything again and follow them back to moon.

2.However,when she almost reach moon,she heard the song sing by someone she know as mentioned in the movie.All of her memory had been erased but deep in her heart,she still remember that song.She instictly turn back to see the earth for the last time and has no idea why her eye is full of tears.*The song is sang by another goddess whom you can see her husband and her son is standing while watching at the sky.

3.Kaguya Hime reincarnate to earth because she is longing for freedom,as shown as the theme of the song that she is always singing,not because she want to become princess.Those celestial being gift(gold and kimonos)make her father think otherwise and ultimately ruin her life in the earth.

4.Kaguya Hime come to earth as punishment after she has humanity and emotion because in the moon palace,emotion is seen as baggage before one can turn into perfect being(Buddhist concept of Primary Afflictions is the root of all suffering). The punishment she face is actually a scheme of the moon palace to eliminate her yearn for human emotion that begins with the song sing by another goddess in the moon that came back from the earth.

i got lost . who was the goddess singing that you spoke about whose husband and son we see ?
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Jul 23, 2020 1:41 PM
Feb 2015
I just wanna say I absolutely hate her father
Jul 27, 2020 9:47 AM
Nov 2015
To simplify many many things, this movie is about the beauties & pleasures of the material world vs the calling (or maybe even longing) for the immaterial world (afterlife).

This movie could be taken as a criticism towards Buddhism and its Enlightenment. Though, in the end it's the immaterial world that wins. Perhaps this movie is a reflection of the inner struggles of Isao Takahata (and many other people, of course).

This central topic is very very mature and still very relevant today.

You might say that the afterlife (the moon-dwellers or the celestial beings and the Buddha) is to blame then. Well, it's not that simple, sooner or later you will ask the questions: what's the point of all this striving to become "good" or "decent" in this life if we all turn into nothing eventually? What is even the point of pleasure? What's the point of condemning Hitler and upholding the declaration of human rights? Not to mention, what's the point of your own pleasure when you relate it to all the sufferings of other people in this world?

Hence, the "promise" of religion (here Buddhism) is still tempting.
Sep 26, 2020 8:11 PM
Feb 2020
groundfish said:
bigmustache93 said:

Thank you. This made perfect sense to me, and filled in any holes or questions i had.

So much information that really rounded out the story for me. Seriously, thank you.

Don't apologize. I got more from this post then i do from most native English speakers... And much clearer too! :)
Oct 29, 2020 8:46 AM

Jun 2016
Looking back at this topic,which I started 4 years ago,I can't believe how time flies,many things happened to me since then ,i could barely remember the details of the anime in question so I can enjoy discussing it with you,all i can say
Thanks to everyone for their elaboration .
Nov 27, 2020 12:02 PM
Oct 2020
Kenokiri said:

Same here... Worst Father I have ever seen in my life
Nov 29, 2020 12:03 PM

Mar 2010
Sorry i didn't notice this is an older topic, but i think it's still relevant (for whoever watches this now)

I think the "frustration" was the point.

She came here to be happy, only to realise that happiness is not in the stupid artificial society that the humanity has come up with. Yet she never opposed her father. She valued his happiness over her own. In the end she said that she would kill herself anyway if she had been with the emperor.

You can't hope that everything always goes well, so eventually she still left this stupid society. The guy she liked already had a wife and a child, so it was too late, too late to find the true happiness. Perfect sad and frustrating ending.
Apr 23, 2021 9:46 PM

May 2019
In short, that gold (money) f* up her free-poor-happy life. lol

That is the final moral of the story, money is evil. hahaha

One day of real hunger and she would regret. Anyways, that is why great philosophers were chubby.
Apr 30, 2021 6:52 PM

Jun 2016
Rob7 said:
In short, that gold (money) f* up her free-poor-happy life. lol

That is the final moral of the story, money is evil. hahaha

One day of real hunger and she would regret. Anyways, that is why great philosophers were chubby.

Totally agree with you here, all these stories about rich people not finding true happiness are kinda naive to say the least.
being rich is good and sleeping on a full belly is better than sleeping on an empty one.
Jun 24, 2021 3:10 PM

Jul 2020
Reading the comments above.. I think the point wasn't that rich people can't find happiness, it's the excessiveness of it. No one wants to be dirt poor but you also don't need an excessive amount of money. Because in the end when you die, you're not gonna take of it with you. You need balance like all things.

I mean what's the point of having everything and living a lie? Aren't you going to regret it in the end that you didn't try your best to live for yourself? To try following your dreams and do what you actually want? Even if it hurts, you should aim to live your best life according to yourself. Our life is our own and no one else can live it for us. Others shouldn't live through you and you shouldn't live through others.

It's hard, messy and a lot of work but looking back you'll feel proud of yourself for keep going. Sadness will come but happiness will also arrive, if you take risks you'll have less regrets than not taking them, at least then you know if it works or not than just wondering.

Obviously this all easier said than done but these are just my messy thoughts and feelings.
"𝐈'𝐦 𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐮𝐧𝐜𝐥𝐞. 𝐀𝐧𝐲 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐬?"
Sep 11, 2021 5:35 AM
Aug 2021
Lylaaz said:
Sorry i didn't notice this is an older topic, but i think it's still relevant (for whoever watches this now)

She came here to be happy, only to realise that happiness is not in the stupid artificial society that the humanity has come up with. Yet she never opposed her father. She valued his happiness over her own. In the end she said that she would kill herself anyway if she had been with the emperor.

You can't hope that everything always goes well, so eventually she still left this stupid society. The guy she liked already had a wife and a child, so it was too late, too late to find the true happiness. Perfect sad and frustrating ending.

You are very impressive. I think you're half-way there. Unlike many people who talk about riches & money around here. I think some of those people were focusing too much on the original Tale of the Bamboo Cutter. And this film was intentionally rewritten by Isao Takahata.

After reading many people's opinions on this film, I have come to the conclusion that people who aren't familiar with Buddhism, Hinduism, non-American-Christianity or any religion that preached asceticism and people who aren't familiar with Asian worldviews are incapable of understanding the central issue addressed by Takahata through this film.

Like you said, Kaguya ended up disappointed. Kaguya was too good. Kaguya was noble. Kaguya was the personification of Enlightenment. Then again, Takahata (and Kaguya) asked, "What's the use of being so good, so noble, so enlightened in this material world?"

I came here because I yearned for life and yet after I have lived life, though I still love it, I can't help but feeling disappointed with it. There're still so many things that are missing.

No suitors could handle her. She was nobler than any of her suitors. Her first love too was disappointing. Her visiting him paralleled us looking back at our past, memories & being nostalgic. That moment when you feel like contacting people from your past and ended up noticing that "Nope, it was all in the past. It was already gone forever. All that's left is just the memory of it."

And so, Kaguya, the noblest living being in the material world, once again has to return to the immaterial world.

For Takahata and us who still value virtues, the question remains, "What's the point of being good in this very world?" (Perhaps not for Takahata. For he already left us. Hopefully he has found the answers that he was looking for.)

I wanted to partake in all the follies & joy of this material world but I ended up again and again saying, "Vanity of vanities, all is vanity."

Kaguya represents people who have a natural tendency toward bettering their inner selves, people who believe in the word "Good".

Hence, no matter how hard you tell Kaguya to just marry & enjoy life, Kaguya can't obey you. For Kaguya was above any of those things. This much is obvious.

Well, it's a shame that not too many people could comprehend this film but this much is expected... I don't wish for people to agree with me or with Takahata, let alone with Buddhism, I only wish people would be.. better.

I guess I just took life & education way too seriously.
wistfulongingSep 11, 2021 5:54 AM
Sep 14, 2021 11:25 AM

Mar 2010
wistfulonging said:
Lylaaz said:

You are very impressive. I think you're half-way there. Unlike many people who talk about riches & money around here. I think some of those people were focusing too much on the original Tale of the Bamboo Cutter. And this film was intentionally rewritten by Isao Takahata.

After reading many people's opinions on this film, I have come to the conclusion that people who aren't familiar with Buddhism, Hinduism, non-American-Christianity or any religion that preached asceticism and people who aren't familiar with Asian worldviews are incapable of understanding the central issue addressed by Takahata through this film.

Like you said, Kaguya ended up disappointed. Kaguya was too good. Kaguya was noble. Kaguya was the personification of Enlightenment. Then again, Takahata (and Kaguya) asked, "What's the use of being so good, so noble, so enlightened in this material world?"

I came here because I yearned for life and yet after I have lived life, though I still love it, I can't help but feeling disappointed with it. There're still so many things that are missing.

No suitors could handle her. She was nobler than any of her suitors. Her first love too was disappointing. Her visiting him paralleled us looking back at our past, memories & being nostalgic. That moment when you feel like contacting people from your past and ended up noticing that "Nope, it was all in the past. It was already gone forever. All that's left is just the memory of it."

And so, Kaguya, the noblest living being in the material world, once again has to return to the immaterial world.

For Takahata and us who still value virtues, the question remains, "What's the point of being good in this very world?" (Perhaps not for Takahata. For he already left us. Hopefully he has found the answers that he was looking for.)

I wanted to partake in all the follies & joy of this material world but I ended up again and again saying, "Vanity of vanities, all is vanity."

Kaguya represents people who have a natural tendency toward bettering their inner selves, people who believe in the word "Good".

Hence, no matter how hard you tell Kaguya to just marry & enjoy life, Kaguya can't obey you. For Kaguya was above any of those things. This much is obvious.

Well, it's a shame that not too many people could comprehend this film but this much is expected... I don't wish for people to agree with me or with Takahata, let alone with Buddhism, I only wish people would be.. better.

I guess I just took life & education way too seriously.

Thank you for the insight! And thanks! I'm not good with words as you are nor did I even know this film was intentionally rewritten. So thank you so much for this info! I have heard of the tale but i have not read it.
I just took the film as it was, and found it responding to my inner thoughts so to speak. I'm not from an Asian country yet I believe similar issues appear in my society as well. My country is rich with forests yet a lot is being cut down for money and sold/exported to other countries, city spaces are getting bigger, more and more people just want to live in capital and abandon life at countryside all together. A lot of places are empty or only visited during warmer seasons.. It's just so sad. I think Kaguya's happiest times were in the beginning of the story when she was able to discover the nature and live together with friends.

I too have taken life and education way too seriously. Sometimes in life you encounter people who show you there are other ways to live a life. Education doesn't show it. And it only happens to you by chance. It may not happen at all. Otherwise you never realise some things and that's why to some people this movie doesn't mean that much. By the way I found Omoide Poroporo also very relatable for the similar cause.

I guess my reply might have become too environmentalist but I think the issues start from there.
Apr 30, 2022 12:26 PM
Dec 2018
Kenokiri said:

No, it makes sense. If you were her father, wouldn't you want her to live like a queen? You can't blame the man for not being able to understand her.
Apr 30, 2022 12:37 PM
Dec 2018
I think you need to know, that Buddhism preaches "detachment from earthly things" to attain nirvana. As in, do not be attached to anything in this world, because they are all causes of suffering. Nothing is eternal, one day you shall leave everything behind. A simple eg: if you aren't attached to a pot, if it breaks, you won't be sad.

But notice how kaguya had different views from Buddha. More like a challenge to Buddhism. If detachment is the way of life, then what's the point of this life? There's more to life than crying when the pot breaks. Wasn't it not fun to paint the pot? Wasn't it not fun to use the pot? Yes, one day the pot will break. And that's what kaguya sama says. There's joys, grief, bugs, beasts....

I wonder what happens next. Buddha is supreme. The cloak makes her forget everything, but she still looks back at Earth while going back. Her attachment to Earth, was stronger than the cloak. But because she, deep down inside, remembers Earth, she will never be happy on the moon.

In the end, Buddha was right. Her attachment will continue to cause her sadness for the rest of her eternal life.
May 12, 2022 8:40 PM
Jul 2018
Buddha is the only ultimate canon husband after all.
Mar 13, 12:46 PM

Feb 2019
The whole movie is frustrating and depressing imo. The princess was never happy as a human so it was best for her to return from where she originally came from.
The father exploited her to gain and live extravagant life and the mother was no better because she went along with it. They never payed attention to her suffering and unhappy life and thought only of themselves. She lived a depressing life, not knowing who she truly is.
On the other hand, the princess is also to blame because she never realised she's being chained by her parents selfish wishes instead of living her life, a happy life. She had a chance to elope with Sutemaru when they met again, to break the chains and become free independent woman and eventually becoming a mother and have a family. I even think that throughout the movie she always had a chance to righteously rebel against her parents and choose what's best for her but again she decided to trive in depression.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaguya-hime no Monogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Asore - Dec 16, 2013

143 by UnknownGhost5 »»
Dec 21, 2023 3:20 PM

» I hate the father

Jutin123 - Aug 25, 2023

8 by AraumC »»
Sep 7, 2023 11:02 AM

» Revert the cover pic pls

Effulgence - May 9, 2018

7 by KitsuFrost »»
Jul 14, 2023 7:43 PM

» Nominated for an Academy Award!

Samu-tan - Jan 15, 2015

10 by Drumbottle »»
Jul 5, 2023 9:08 AM

» Soul Eater Connection?

Duckielover151 - Sep 16, 2022

4 by Thewatcher_22 »»
Sep 16, 2022 11:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.