Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 13, 2016 2:31 PM

Aug 2013
hananochikai said:
because the subs can be like a dictionary and you can save the time you need to look up a new word.

There is one problem. Most of the subs are horrible, you don't see what characters are actually saying but (in most optimistic scenario) it's just simplified dialogues for wide audience understanding. Some groups are trying to do it right (basically, only Doki and some anons left nowadays unfortunately), but if you are using official subs (or even worse - commie/gg/DameDesuYo-like fanfiction americanized shit) and you think that you are learning japanese from it, then you are just wrong.

But anime (and especially original, japanese manga) could be a great expansion for learning japanese. It's far more natural than 'book version' of this language. But without grammar and general policies, you will end up knowing nothing. Not mentioning about understanding the wordplays (which is the best type of humour for me).

Protip : learn the basics first and then the kanji.
It's a very long process, but totally worth your time and effort.
rsc-plSep 13, 2016 2:50 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Sep 13, 2016 2:45 PM

Apr 2015
Senpaoi said:
You're better off finding Japanese videos on YouTube than watching anime, if you're looking for exposure. Don't delude yourself into thinking "I'm studying Japanese right now" when you're watching anime. It will fuck you over.

I don't even understand why you want to learn to watch raws... I'm learning to read the books because translations are slow as fuck and they're disgusting to be honest. Subs come out almost immediately.

Ikr. Only a couple websites do it and they remove it if it gets picked up by Yenpress
Sep 13, 2016 2:46 PM

Jan 2010
rsc-pl said:

There is one problem. Most of the subs are horrible, you don't see what characters are actually saying but. Some groups are trying to do it right (basically it's only Doki or some anons left nowadays unfortunately), but if you are using official subs (or commie/gg-like fanfiction americanized shit) and you think that you are learning japanese from it, then you are just wrong.

i'm talking about the fansubs with no particular subbing group in my mind (actually i don't care whose sub is it most of the time) and you are right not everything is correct but not everything in subs is translated wrong. sub errors are usually about grammars, and i don't mean learning everything they say in 1 episode.
for example you watch an episode of magi, and you notice they keep mentioning the word "bouken" which is being translated as adventure. next time you are watching one piece and you hear the word again with same meaning in the sub, once it happen few times you will learn the word(if you are paying attention to what they are saying). i mean in this situation it is impossible for all subbing teams to make the same error. you can improve your vocabulary this way.

Sep 13, 2016 4:05 PM
Dec 2014
hananochikai said:
you can improve your vocabulary this way.

In my opinion, anime work best as a tool, for re-enforcement of things you've learned. And yes you can pick up new vocab that way. However, in my opinion, it is extremely limited. It's works better for fairly simple/short words that are typically used in isolation or short sentences, and quite honestly, I'd be impressed if someone who has never taken a single Japanese class can gather and retain more than few hundred vocab that way (and that's including your baka, kawaii, oishii, neko, itadakimasu etc.).

Then there are issues like words that have multiple meanings depending on context. Or words/sentences that sound similar (Bouken vs Bokken) or even the same (Iccha dame!). The biggest issues though is complex sentences. And I do not mean -really- complex sentences, but even moderately complex ones can be translated in more than one way, occasionally using different words that only really work in that instance to keep it "natural" while retaining the general meaning. Not only does it make it harder to pick out words, but it also makes it harder for people with vocab but zero grammar to really understand what's going on. "Aha! I know that he is talking about adventure - but I have no idea what about adventure").

But yes, I have occasionally encountered words that I struggled to memorise when presented as a boring word list, but as soon as I saw it appear in an anime, it became much easier to remember.
Sep 13, 2016 5:28 PM

Jan 2010
AxBattler said:

In my opinion, anime work best as a tool, for re-enforcement of things you've learned. And yes you can pick up new vocab that way. However, in my opinion, it is extremely limited. It's works better for fairly simple/short words that are typically used in isolation or short sentences, and quite honestly, I'd be impressed if someone who has never taken a single Japanese class can gather and retain more than few hundred vocab that way (and that's including your baka, kawaii, oishii, neko, itadakimasu etc.).

Then there are issues like words that have multiple meanings depending on context. Or words/sentences that sound similar (Bouken vs Bokken) or even the same (Iccha dame!). The biggest issues though is complex sentences. And I do not mean -really- complex sentences, but even moderately complex ones can be translated in more than one way, occasionally using different words that only really work in that instance to keep it "natural" while retaining the general meaning. Not only does it make it harder to pick out words, but it also makes it harder for people with vocab but zero grammar to really understand what's going on. "Aha! I know that he is talking about adventure - but I have no idea what about adventure").

But yes, I have occasionally encountered words that I struggled to memorise when presented as a boring word list, but as soon as I saw it appear in an anime, it became much easier to remember.

I think it depends on person and how they prefer to learn.

I my opinion the person who is learning a language is like a baby. A new born baby can't take classes or read grammar books. She/he just watch,pay attention and experience the language,feel the words and and learn by hearing them continuesly and repeating them. none of us knew what is verb and noun when we made a sentence at age 3. of course Babies later complete their knowledge of their mother tongue when they grow up by learning how to read and write, taking classes and reading books.so anime is just a beginning not everything.

Also learning different meaning of a word is better when you see the situation where the word is used in it in an anime. personally i prefer seeing it used to remembering the different meanings from text book.

Bouken and bokken's spelling are very different. But i agree there are words with same spelling and different meaning. But the words needed in normal conversation aren't that complex.(it is not like all the animes are as hard as let's say zetsuen no tempest, some are very easy like reborn i learnt alot from it) And the meaning of many of complex words become clear when you look at the situation.

Actually i never took any japanese classes in my life. I learnt to understand half of the japanese shows by watching only. It improved later by self studying kana and kanjis and watching raw material. now I may not be excellent(actually far far far from it) but my goal was to understand most of what i'm watching and it is done. I dont even have problem chatting with japanese either.
that's why i think this way is very good for someone who can't/doesn't want to/doesn't have time to take classes or get bored of text book very soon just like me.😊

Sep 13, 2016 6:50 PM
Dec 2014
@hananochikai

In another post earlier in this thread I noted:

AxBattler said:

PS: I am actually making the assumption that you are a grown up. Kids are a bit of a sponge, and can pick up enough to understand just through exposure (it happened to me for other language/dialect).

So, yes, I acknowledge that it's possible. However, most studies into language acquisition recognise a difference between a child and an adult. Some people also retain the ability to simply absorb a language for longer than others, and others have a knack for picking up new languages, but they are more the exception than the rules. So I stand by that the average grown up probably won't get very far just by watching anime.

Here's a little anecdote. When I first started learning Japanese, I was in a small class of 12. Of the 12, 9 of us were "exposed" to Japanese pop culture in some way, be it anime, drama or something along those lines. Of those 9, only 2 really, really stood out from the rest. The rest of us, weren't significantly different from the 3 who didn't have any exposure to Japanese overall. The 2 who were ahead attributed to their anime exposure, but frankly speaking, I think that they were just freakishly great at learning languages, doing things like memorising our first grammar textbook within the first week, or the 2000+ jōyō kanji including all their readings in a single term (12 weeks). For them, it was "normal", but it's quite a bit more than what common mortals can achieve in that time, regardless of anime exposure.

So I will say kudos to your achievements. I do know a few people who have managed it that way, I have seen weirder things, so I have no reason to doubt what you've said. But frankly out of the hundreds of Japanese learners with a penchant for watching anime that I've come across over the last couple of years, I think that it's an exception (especially the conversing part). Well, it certainly it costs less than lessons, so for people with more time than money, it might be worth a shot. However, I don't think it's wise for people to expect that this method is commonly successful.. again assuming they are fairly grown up.
Sep 13, 2016 11:38 PM

Jan 2010
@AxBattler well i'm an adult and not even a teen:XD
to me it depend on how you watch it. my little sister, and an online friend also used the same way. and both can understand half of a japanese show. you learn a language when you want it with everything you got or you need it despite the method. i think of watching multimedia as plan b for not being able to go to japan to learn Japanese in japanese environment. (not as effective tho but still acceptable)
it maybe that children learn faster but this method is widely used in learning software like Rosetta stone or one of the best language learning app (duolingo) and both are for adult users too. it is just about what each of us personally prefer and find it useful.

Sep 13, 2016 11:42 PM

Sep 2015
I prefer to have my anime medium rare.
Sep 13, 2016 11:59 PM

Jul 2015
The short path is to use "kawaii" and "desu" in every day speech.
The real way is to study your ass off, make some friends that speak Japanese, get books, apps, other resources to help you. But I fail to see why you'd want to use it to watch anime alone, if you understand the language there's more than just anime to watch.
Sep 14, 2016 12:44 AM
Dec 2014
@hananochikai

I am not sure what to make of "half a Japanese show" though. With the help of visual cues, it's possible to understand half an easily digested anime with some basic vocab, but if given another show which is more wordy and with less visual queues, and it comprehension can quickly drop to less than 10%.

I watching K-On after about a year of studying Japanese and finding out that I could understand pretty much everything. A few weeks later, I moved to Japan (which is when I really started watching anime without subs) and found that I could follow action oriented Shonen stuff without any problem (in reality, I suspect that my actual comprehension was only about 70-80% but visual cues help). Then bumped into an episode from the -monogatari series (I series I've never seen before until that point). I am not sure if it was that particular episode, but I quickly found myself lost in some of the very long and quick conversations between the characters.

But I digress, if it works for you, and the people you know, then great! Certainly, I agree that people learn better in different ways. Just that going by my personal experience, as a learner who's met many other learners, I think that people who have been successful with self-studies using digital media (and it's worth pointing out that some of the Japanese class I've taken also use anime/dorama as source material - but not exclusively) make a very small minority.
Sep 14, 2016 1:09 AM

Jan 2010
@AxBattler

japanese shows for me are usually shounen/action/adventure/comedy animes, yamapi and ishihara satomi dramas, and some varieties that my favorite actors/actress/singers appear in(like let's say music station? or music japan? shabekuri or sekai banzuke sometimes, smapXsmap one piece ou corner...), singles making of, concerts MC time, seiyuu events etc...
and by half of it i mean getting the concept and half of the things they say.

that's why i said anime is the "beginning". you have to begin from somewhere so the unfamiliar feelings goes away. i don't know if you have this feeling or not but i need to become comfortable or familiar with a language or it will stay foreign for me even if i learn it.

Sep 14, 2016 1:23 AM

Nov 2009
Valenthius said:
If your only reason for wanting to learn Japanese is anime, you are the reason i hate this place and why i cry myself to sleep.

Why else would you want to learn Japanese?
Japan is a pretty crazy place that isn't good to immigrate to.
Japanese language isn't widely used, thus not very good for business. It's also pretty hard, so it's more efficient to speak English with your Japanese colleagues.

P.S. I learned much of my English just so that I could read my favorite fantasy authors in original. It turned out to be pretty useful when on the internet, and I even have to work with English-language resources as part of my job.
I doubt Japanese would be just as useful.
Sep 14, 2016 1:45 AM
Sep 2016
Well you can always watch "RAW" anime, but it'll be pointless if you don't understand anything that's going on because you do not know Japanese (just assuming) so I recommend you study Japanese language not to say it'll be easy though lol. If you don't want to put in the work stick with eng subtitles or eng dubXD ( I recommend subtitles )
Sep 14, 2016 8:16 AM
Dec 2014
@hananochikai

I agree that shows etc. can help with familiarity which is important to progress. Where we seem to differ is that I don't really think that most people will really be able to gather a coherent set of building blocks from anime alone at the beginning. It worked for you, and a few others I know, but if I was to give it a percentage out of the hundreds of Japanese learners I've come across (no exaggeration), I think that only a low single digits percentage of people have gotten anywhere using anime as their sole building block. Few grown up can simply pick up grammar by listening enough time. (I note that you mentioned some other resources like Rosetta stone. I have no experience with them so I don't know what they cover or the method they use, or how much you relied on them to learn.)

Once people have enough building blocks, then watching whatever they like, be it anime, variety shows, drama etc. is a great way for reinforcement and improving one's listening (though again, for most people, being able to understand is very different from being able to speak it). And I think that once you have reached a certain level, you'll get more and more out of them. But getting to that stage in the first place requires overcoming some hurdles. Tldr: I think that anime works best as a working material once you have some level of understanding, than virtually nothing but the select few words every anime fans know.
Sep 14, 2016 9:15 AM

Aug 2013
flannan said:
Valenthius said:
If your only reason for wanting to learn Japanese is anime, you are the reason i hate this place and why i cry myself to sleep.

Japanese language isn't widely used, thus not very good for business. It's also pretty hard, so it's more efficient to speak English with your Japanese colleagues.

P.S. I learned much of my English just so that I could read my favorite fantasy authors in original. It turned out to be pretty useful when on the internet, and I even have to work with English-language resources as part of my job.

You can like a language in itself you know. I personally think it's really cool just because of how complicated it is. I find the way it sounds pleasing.Chinese as well.
Sep 14, 2016 10:25 AM

Nov 2009
Valenthius said:
flannan said:

You can like a language in itself you know. I personally think it's really cool just because of how complicated it is. I find the way it sounds pleasing.Chinese as well.

I find the concept of liking languages more strange than liking anime enough to learn japanese for that.
But if I were to learn a language I like, it would be a language that i beautiful in its simplicity.
Sep 14, 2016 10:34 AM

Aug 2013
flannan said:
Valenthius said:

I find the concept of liking languages more strange than liking anime enough to learn japanese for that.
But if I were to learn a language I like, it would be a language that i beautiful in its simplicity.

Well, to each his own. I like it complicated and sharp-ish.
Apr 21, 2017 6:40 AM
Jul 2011
chickydoodle said:
Watching anime helps, but it's more of a supplement to the actual learning. You can't just watch lots of anime and expect to learn japanese.

Actually...I've been watching anime for 7 years in Japanese (with English subtitles) and just took a placement test at a Japanese college a couple weeks ago (I'm studying abroad) and placed in intermediate level...So it is possible to learn Japanese (at least understand it) just by watching anime :)

Though I also read manga in Japanese (that's how I learned kanji) So I guess you can't just watch anime if you want to learn how to read it as well ^^'
umbreon22Apr 21, 2017 6:46 AM
Apr 21, 2017 6:47 AM

Apr 2017
Just simple visit some.. Sites where you can download any anime by using a torrent..

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Apr 21, 2017 7:10 AM

Feb 2015
I don't think that anime explains all of the grammar, you won't go far without knowing at least the basics. As it's been said you'll only memorize some phrases. You can use anime as a listening practice, sure. But as the main tool for learning moon? No. Go read Tae Kim's grammar guide and stop dreaming, kiddo.

Edit: >it was a necro
Oh well.
Apr 21, 2017 8:39 AM
Jul 2018
Rosetta Stone hehe ecks dee
or go on filthy frank japanese 101
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

60 by Zarutaku »»
14 minutes ago

» What else would be in your Favorites if you had MAL Supporter? (10 additional slots)

IpreferEcchi - 5 hours ago

3 by nishant0 »»
42 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

40 by FanofAction »»
42 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

72 by luckyrune »»
45 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 1 hour ago

7 by Theo1899 »»
49 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.