Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 11, 2016 5:50 AM

Jul 2016
I'll proudly say this that I'm a passerby. It really feels nostalgic like a Ghibli movie. It was very good. I'll try the manga. I hope it will get a full adaptation.
"This (anime) industry is weird" - Chitose Karasuma, Gi(a)rlish Number

I hope someday someone in an anime would say, "The (anime) viewers are weird."
Sep 11, 2016 5:51 AM

Sep 2015
Wow just finished the episode. Sad to see that the next episode is months away, that was such a wonderful start to the series. The music was awsome too! Kinda wished that there is going to be more than 3 episodes :(
Sep 11, 2016 6:27 AM

Aug 2013
O M G T H A T A R T.
So beautiful.
Nice setting, too bad, only 3 episodes :(
Even CR is doing fine with translation.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Sep 11, 2016 6:29 AM

Dec 2013
Long time fan of the manga. Was looking forward to this so much. I'm so glad it didn't disappoint at all. Really loved the way they set up the story at the beginning, as we're getting more of Chise's past than what was shown in the manga thus far. For some reason I really appreciate that we're not starting from the very beginning of the manga, since some people may find it disturbing.

Have to agree that this show was meant for readers of the manga. The fact that we start with Ruth already there and Angelica in the opening sequence was more than enough of a shout out to the fans. Glad they already had the fairies dubbing her the "Slay Vega" there. I was wondering if they'd actually put that in there anywhere, so I'm glad it was mentioned even once.

Looking forward to more of Chise's past, though I'm not looking forward to seeing how she ended up in the place she first met Elias...
L-RyoshiSep 11, 2016 6:32 AM
HESTIAAPPROVES
Sep 11, 2016 6:53 AM

May 2013
fatalystic said:
I love that they managed to emulate the original art style so closely.

apalagi said:
I think this Ova is a bit hard for newcomers who haven't read the manga.

Not really, this is completely new material that was never in the manga, and the only issue is that since it's framed as a story being told by Chise somewhere in the middle of the currently released chapters, there are a whole bunch of characters popping up with no real introduction whatsoever. The most obvious ones being Angelica and Hugh, we learn barely anything about them from their scene at the beginning of the episode. On the other hand, without beating us over the head with it they managed to give us an idea of what our main characters are like.

- Chise's something known as a Slay Vega, and she can also see supernatural creatures. She's supposed to be teaching Elias about humans.
- Elias is Chise's magic teacher, and from that job and his lighting of the lamps in the study we can safely conclude that he's a powerful mage. He appears to either be caring but shy, or overly logical since he ordered the stuff for Chise because he was "supposed to", according to himself.
- It's not clear what Ruth is exactly, but he can shapeshift between dog and human form.
- From what she's been doing in the background and from Elias implying that she does the cleaning, Silkie must be the housekeeper. And everyone seems to fear her for some reason.

Though I am a manga reader, the above conclusions were drawn using just the information from this episode itself.

it is more digestible if you already know the character tho.
but for newcomer maybe will interested with the story and character because of this too.
Sep 11, 2016 7:36 AM

Feb 2014
Was expecting closer to an hour per episode so in that regard disappointing. Still quite good overall. Would like to see a full show.
Sep 11, 2016 8:29 AM

Sep 2009
GBreakdown said:
Loved it but it seems like only the manga readers will REALLY be able to enjoy it. For anime only people, I highly recommend reading the manga as well :-)

Wonderful episode btw

As I heard, English manga translation is below average, so it is not the best suggestion at the moment.
Sep 11, 2016 8:32 AM
Mar 2015
It is very good, but if I had not read the manga I would like it more. The manga is much better The chase scene and her fear of the monsters is just stupid. I like the fearless Chise better. Not sure I care for Ruth as a boy since he is a grim
Sep 11, 2016 9:00 AM

Jul 2011
Nachtwandler_21 said:
GBreakdown said:
Loved it but it seems like only the manga readers will REALLY be able to enjoy it. For anime only people, I highly recommend reading the manga as well :-)

Wonderful episode btw

As I heard, English manga translation is below average, so it is not the best suggestion at the moment.

I bought the manga in english. It seems fine to me lol
Sep 11, 2016 12:15 PM

Mar 2016
Quite different from the start of the manga .. but the animation is too beautiful can't even complain
Seunghoon my sunflower
Sep 11, 2016 1:29 PM
Oct 2010
Hey, what can I expect from this show? As in, where does it go manga readers? As in mystery, action etc etc? I feel asleep during the first ep but I was kinda tired so I just blamed it on that, didn't seem too interesting though.
Sep 11, 2016 1:31 PM

Oct 2013
I read the manga a long time ago so I barely remember anything(probably dropped it pretty fast). Here is my opinion:

Beautiful animation.
I found the first part of the episode really slow and boring, I barely understood what's going on and I was wondering if they didn't mess the episodes order.
But 2nd part made me love it. I want to see more.
However I get a feeling I would drop it after a while if it wasn't 3 episodes OVA. I suppose they would make it too slow for my taste.
It reminds me of Shirayuki too, which I dropped after 5th or 6th episode.
Sep 11, 2016 1:53 PM

Feb 2015
I've never read the Manga but wow that was outstanding, animation sound and characters were on point. I loved the way the world is set up and want to see more. Hopefully once WIT have finished with S2 of AOT they can produce a full series of this. Can't wait for the next OVA.
Sep 11, 2016 2:00 PM

Jun 2013
The breakfast looks so good and those monsters are really creepy
Sep 11, 2016 3:39 PM

Sep 2014
They move, they talk ! Is it real life ?

Art is pretty great and the characters are really faithfull, it's better than all I expected !
+Lunai+

Sep 11, 2016 3:47 PM

Aug 2013
Well I was hoping this would b animated an it finally happened! Woooohhh!!!!

For those who have only watched the anime and not the manga please go to read the manga as it'll explain a ton of stuff for you.

But I'll give a little tibit of info.

Magic is taken as an old tradition as seen in old story books and legends as seen with the borrowing of magic with Angelica from the fairy.

Chise as a Slay Vega are a special kind of people which I cannot spoil. But as you notice that the fairy refer to her as the beloved child for a reason, that is also a reason why Elias took Chise in. Also the slow building of their relationship is quite interesting to watch, given what both of them are.

Ruth is Chise familiar she acquired during one story arc that is quite moving as well.

I know I only gave very vague comments but it's so people who go read the manga won't be spoiled by me and my stupid big mouth.

So go forth and read the manga new bloods!
Sep 11, 2016 5:18 PM

Dec 2013
Oh boy, it was sweet.
Sep 11, 2016 5:59 PM
Sep 2014
Verumouth said:
Quite different from the start of the manga .. but the animation is too beautiful can't even complain

This is an original story that wasn't in the manga. ._.

GD1551 said:
Hey, what can I expect from this show? As in, where does it go manga readers? As in mystery, action etc etc? I feel asleep during the first ep but I was kinda tired so I just blamed it on that, didn't seem too interesting though.

Slice of life. With a liiiiiiiiiiiittle bit of action every now and then. It's kind of like a darker Flying Witch that features lots of creatures from European folklore.
Sep 11, 2016 7:00 PM

Sep 2008
It was neat, just very short. Is this story basically wish fulfillment for women?
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Sep 11, 2016 8:03 PM

Jan 2008
Well they definitely skipped quite a bit at least 3 short story arcs, though not too important to this OVA and not like I can complain with me smiling throughout the entire episode.

I'm really glad the focused on animating her back story. I'm only reading the licensed volumes and I haven't gotten through all of them but it didn't really go into it much other than short scenes of her past and her not being wanted by others. Her back story really reminded me of Natsume from Natsume Yuujinchou, so it really hits the feels cause I loved that series.

Looking forward to more. Also reminded me I need to buy the latest volume.
Sep 11, 2016 8:16 PM

Oct 2008
At first I thought it was boring, but later on that flashback...it became promising!
5/5.

Sep 11, 2016 9:42 PM

Aug 2007
Damn that was superb. Very tempted to read the manga now if it's really a year between the 3 of these. Wait will be killer.
Sep 11, 2016 11:10 PM

Mar 2012
The lighting in the library made it look so warm and inviting.
I expected the first episode would cover Chise meeting Elias, him bringing her home and explaining his purpose for taking her in. But this meeting with a man who looks like a younger Joel (Is it the glasses? Yeah, it's probably the glasses.) should be interesting.

Also gg to whoever submitted Ruth's second picture in his character profile.
A good author leaves the audience enough material to be satisfied with, yet yearning for more.
Sep 11, 2016 11:57 PM

Aug 2013
absolutely beautiful
I was planning to read the mango, maybe I should do it naw..

THAT ED SONG THO
HHHHHNNGGGGG
Sep 12, 2016 12:23 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
First this episode showed Korra
.....and now Shirayuki, Chise is so similar with her

That forest library looks very cozy, I wanna sleep in there

Such great animation, too bad this isn't weekly

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Sep 12, 2016 3:09 AM

Dec 2014
Lovely. It eft me with a nice feeling. The world is stunning..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 12, 2016 3:14 AM
May 2016
It was great prequel. Visuals were stunningly beautiful. Glad too see this to be animated, cause I'm currently reading its manga, and it was damn good.
Sep 12, 2016 4:25 AM
Feb 2016
The visual truly doesn't disappoint right from the PV and with this 1st eps of the ova would hope that the other 2 eps will be visually stunning as well. I love the manga and I love all the characters and the production team did very well in portraying each of them. Can't wait to watch the rest of the 2 eps and may the production team adapt it into full anime :)
Sep 12, 2016 4:58 AM

Oct 2015
Beautiful art, faithful characters adaptation, pretty decent music, nice start for original story, Chise's painful past----what else? *sobs irl* why this is only OVA? (hope they'll fully adapt the story later)

the only minus point is---maybe the "painful-waiting-time-until-the-next-episode"

and while waiting, I'll continue to infect others to read/watch this series...
Sep 12, 2016 7:10 AM

May 2010
Man this world! I looove the setting!

Chise is beautiful and mature! I love already
Man this is aesthetically pleasing.

This is an interesting romance for sure.

Man Chise had it rough as a kid... Like that's just about as horrible as it can get. An orphan. Being stared and disturbed by weird monsters.

That was beautiful. I was always interested in reading its manga, but somehow ended up hesitating. Wish it gets an anime tho. Shame it's just an OVA (But hey, we can't complain when it has top-notch quality)
Kinda reminds me of Mushishi tbh! Love it.
Sep 12, 2016 7:55 AM

Feb 2014
That was absolutely brilliant. Just watched it on CR. I love the setting, the atmosphere, the music, animation, and the characters seem VERY interesting. The poor girl had a very sad life it seemed, I guess that forest Mage ends up betraying her, that's so sad! I like how Elias saves her and wants to make her his bride lol, I just find that sweet.

This reminded me of Spirited Away (the black monster reminded me so much of No Face) in the modern setting of Harry Potter, I really like the feel of this show! And the magic seemed very cool.

God I can't wait for more. I hope it sells well and we get an actual season.
Sep 12, 2016 8:23 AM

Sep 2016
it was like watching natsume yuujinchou with female MC. well the visual looks great.
Sep 12, 2016 9:57 AM
Sep 2016
I'm so interested in this! It's very pretty. I only read the first couple of chapters of the manga, I should read the rest.

Although the styles are very different, both story and art wise, this first episode reminded me of ghibli... I think it's because it almost doesn't explain anything verbally. This is nice because it doesn't interfere with the ambient it's trying to convey.

Waiting so much for the next ova is kind of sad, but if they can keep up with the stunning visuals, I'm sure it'll be worth it.
Sep 12, 2016 10:55 AM

Sep 2011
Wow, this was a fantastic start. Loved every bit of it. The only downside is the loooong wating time till the next episode.
Sep 12, 2016 11:39 AM

Jul 2014
This shit is right up my alley. The ghibli fairytale-esque setting, the drop dead gorgeous art+ animation, the mystical but comfy atmosphere and an interesting female protagonist instantly made me fall in love with this show.

On the other hand, I'm so disappointed that this is only a 3 episode prequel. Why couldn't this series get a full TV anime adaptation? T_T I'll definitely pick up the manga, but seeing it all animated in beautiful color, motion and sound makes the anime an infinitely better experience.

XyriaLight said:
Chise's voice actor sounds so much like Saori Hayami (one of my favorites) I love it xD

Yeah, although the VA sounds similar to Hayami, I could tell it wasn't her right from the get go :P Maybe they wanted to avoid typecasting her since she has already voiced an extremely similar looking female protagonist in a different show (Shirayukihime!)
Sep 12, 2016 3:00 PM

Oct 2012
They really brought the world of the manga to life, that was magical.
Sep 12, 2016 3:59 PM

Sep 2015
RiceLover said:
This shit is right up my alley. The ghibli fairytale-esque setting, the drop dead gorgeous art+ animation, the mystical but comfy atmosphere and an interesting female protagonist instantly made me fall in love with this show.

On the other hand, I'm so disappointed that this is only a 3 episode prequel. Why couldn't this series get a full TV anime adaptation? T_T I'll definitely pick up the manga, but seeing it all animated in beautiful color, motion and sound makes the anime an infinitely better experience.

XyriaLight said:
Chise's voice actor sounds so much like Saori Hayami (one of my favorites) I love it xD

Yeah, although the VA sounds similar to Hayami, I could tell it wasn't her right from the get go :P Maybe they wanted to avoid typecasting her since she has already voiced an extremely similar looking female protagonist in a different show (Shirayukihime!)

Yup! Glad to see many VAs picking up Saori's type of voice though, their soft and calming voice is so beautiful xD
Sep 12, 2016 4:13 PM

Dec 2012
Aaaaaaah sooo good! I started watching it in the morning before breakfast and that introduction made me sooo hungry. But all the details, plus new story to the manga make this so amazing. Japan always seems to get their VA roles right probably from such a large pool.
Sep 12, 2016 4:45 PM

Sep 2013
Great episode. Judging from the plot, maybe this librarian guy is bad? Well, we have to watch the next episode to see how she was enslaved. On another note, I wish the magician wasn't twice as big as her, since she's going to be his bride.

Anyhow, I liked it. Great expecations for what's to come.
Sep 12, 2016 6:49 PM

Aug 2016
So far this was expertly directed, but the characters seem a little flat. Still one episode so far; it could easily change.

I hope it delves into emotional moments for the actual film, rather than this simple slice-of-life. I'm not saying its bad; far from it. I just don't think an hour and a half of slice of life (estimated time) justifies a viewing experience. Throw some romantic tension maybe? Maybe action? Never read the manga so I have no idea what to expect.

I'm looking forward to everything this miniseries and movie offer. Its high quality stuff like this that makes me kinda salty at the 'just make AOT season 2' crowd.
See anime and figure reviews below.
http://tinyurl.com/DrLockdownYoutube
Sep 12, 2016 7:11 PM

Feb 2010
Wow, wow, bravo WIT Studio for creating such a bland piece of emptiness.
lighthalzen-kunSep 12, 2016 7:18 PM
Sep 12, 2016 7:29 PM

Oct 2015
I haven't read the manga yet but for those who said it's quite hard to get into this if anime-watcher only, that's not true in my case! Totally loved the first ep. Mesmerizing, and had a lot of feels. The magical at the beginning. Sympathy towards Chise. And fear when she started seeing those things. How it's animated and the soundtrack were so fitting to each other. Really had a moment of chill running through me. And then awe when she found the library in the forest. I can't believe it will take a whole year for this OVA to be completed? I want moooooooore. Gotta start reading the manga then.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 12, 2016 7:59 PM

May 2008
They really nailed the essence of the manga. 23 minutes just went like that.

It'll be hard to wait for the next installment, seeing as this is a completely original add on to the manga. For non-manga readers, I would recommend reading a few chapters of the manga before getting yourself into this one. Or wait until the eventual TV adaptation.
Sep 12, 2016 8:20 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
Very nicely done! The six month wait for the next installment will be a long one. I guess that I will stash this one in the Hold category until then. 9/10 so far.
Sep 12, 2016 8:53 PM

Aug 2015
I definitely enjoyed this episode for a guy like me who barely watch fantasy shows these days, kinda agree with some people that it reminds me of Spirited Away when I watched this ep. Though there are some parts that seems I dunno needs to be explained like the term Slayer Vega, Ruth the dog, Elias, I think I'm gonna start reading some chapters in the future while waiting for the next OVA to answer these but damn WIT definitely amped for this series with that visuals so far.
Sep 12, 2016 11:40 PM

Aug 2016
Am I the only one who thinks that the 2010s are defined by fantasy series?

We had moe in the 2000s.
Romantic Comedies in the 90s.
Cyberpunk in the 80s.

Of course this is a generalisation, a VERY big generalisation.
See anime and figure reviews below.
http://tinyurl.com/DrLockdownYoutube
Sep 13, 2016 12:38 AM

Jul 2013
Pretty much everything I wanted after reading 5 volumes of the Manga. It's sad that we all have to wait six more months for a new episode. Sad day indeed.
Sep 13, 2016 12:52 AM

Jan 2011
Lovely episode.

Also, Chise's past is exactly the same as Natsume's from Natsume Yuujinchou, which is my favourite anime. I'm so happy.

And so, the wait begins.
Sep 13, 2016 1:24 AM
Jul 2018
While this is an excellent series, I will quote Murry Hope's "Practical Egyptian Magic" in regards to the misuse of words such as "Magus" and "Magician":
"Magic, or, more accurately, Magism," says Christian in his Hidoire de la Magie, "if anyone would condescend
to return to its antique origin, could be no longer con-
founded with the superstitions which calumniate its
memory. Its name is derived to us from the Greek
words Magos, a Magician, and Mageia, Magic, which are
merely permutations of the terms Mog, Megh, Magh,
which in Pehlvi and in Zend, both languages of the eld-
est East, signify ' priest,' ' wise,' and ' excellent.' It was
thence also that, in a period anterior to historic Greece,
there originated the Chaldsean name Maghdim, which is
equivalent to ' supreme wisdom,' or sacred philosophy.
Thus, mere etymology indicates that Magic was the
synthesis of those sciences once possessed by the Magi
or philosophers of India, of Persia, of Chaldsea, and of
Egypt, who were the priests of nature, the patriarchs of
knowledge, and the founders of those vast civilisations
whose ruins still maintain, without tottering, the burden
of sixty centuries."

Likewise, with matters such as Fae in pre-Christian Europe, nobody truly believed in physical Elves, Dwarves, or Giants - they were simply metaphors. The belief (concocted by hollywood) that our ancestors were a bunch of pointlessly-violent, idiotic drunkards is hilarious.

If we ever discover fantasy-like "magic", however, I'll be more than happy. I'd like to live my life as a horned man with a 16 year old wife (without getting dirty looks from bitter old hags), in an idyllic alternate England in which I won't be stabbed by a somali/gypsy/chav/etc.
removed-userSep 13, 2016 2:59 AM
Sep 13, 2016 2:28 PM

Aug 2013
Beautiful animation, voice acting and music. Will have to read the manga as I can't wait 6 months for the next episode!
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome: Hoshi Matsu Hito Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Leo - Sep 9, 2017

106 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Oct 6, 2023 11:01 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome: Hoshi Matsu Hito Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2017

81 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Oct 6, 2023 10:15 PM

» Am I the only one who finds this creepy?

ChrisHanson - Jan 18, 2017

26 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 13, 2023 2:53 PM

Poll: » Is it just me or is this way better than the main series?

dc22 - Jan 10, 2018

9 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 13, 2023 2:50 PM

» What order do I watch this

Bunniedoll - Jun 23, 2021

9 by little_raven »»
Aug 12, 2022 10:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.