Forum Settings
Forums
your name.
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 10, 2016 2:33 AM
Nov 2013
(SPOILERS! DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE)

I was just kinda wondering and I think I might have seen it somewhere on this forum but how come Taki and Mitsuha are able to see each other on the mountain? And what does Kataware or Kataware doki mean? And other than the literal meaning, what does it mean in the context they use it in? Like when they both look at the sunset.

I think someone once said that the Japanese believe strange things happen during twilight.
Vision2344Sep 10, 2016 2:59 AM
Sep 10, 2016 2:45 AM

Apr 2012
Kataware means "fragment; one of the group or party ", it implies being connected to a bigger whole.
Sep 13, 2016 12:07 PM
Oct 2014
Remember the teacher (kana hanazawa voices) at the beginning? The teacher explain about kataware doki. What I think about that is kataware doki is like an afternoon. The sky is still bright, but you not be able to see the sun. The teacher also explain that we could see the non-human form or something like that during kataware doki.

So that's why, taki and mitsuha could see each other when kataware doki, but after kataware doki ended, taki and mitshua couldn't see again.

Any suggestion or critque are welcome. :D
Sep 15, 2016 12:13 AM

Sep 2016
Kataware doki means that the time of sunset or during twilight

This is a local dialect Hida . I do not use because it is Tokyo person.
Oct 6, 2016 9:46 PM
Jun 2016
I've actually done research on a word that has a similar meaning to what "kataware doki" is. From what I understand, it's the time of day that blurs reality from the supernatural, which would be dusk/twilight in this case. In French, they use the phrase "entre chien et loup," literally translated in English meaning "between dog and wolf." This describes the time of day where it is still light but has become so dark that one cannot distinguish a dog from a wolf. Many other cultures describe twilight as a time where unusual things occur.

Here's my interpretation of what happened at "kataware doki" though. Taki took sake that Mizuha had made, connecting him to her. At the time of "kataware doki" (twilight) they were able to see each other because it was the only time where the impossible could become possible, or what blurred the line between Taki's present with Mizuha's past. Twilight is very short though. It doesn't take long for the sun to set, and the minute it is gone "kataware doki" has ended.
Nov 29, 2016 3:28 AM

Jul 2012
I believe hanazawa kana teacher explained that it was the regional dialect. The official japanese word for it is tasogaredoki 黄昏時. Basically time of the dusk, or time of the twilight.
よろしく!
Jan 18, 2017 3:50 AM
Jan 2016
"katawaredoki" is a dialect, the real word (archaism) is "kawataredoki"「彼は誰時」(kanjis stands for : 'kare' 'dare' and 'toki' - which means 'he' 'who' and 'hour').
You could translate it by something like "the hour when someone ask him who he is", the moment (dawn or dusk) when 'one' might encounter unnatural things.

"tasogaredoki"「黄昏時」is an archaism too, and come from "tasokare"「誰そ彼」as Yukari-sensei says in the movie.
HarryCovertJan 18, 2017 8:29 AM
Dec 30, 2017 8:33 AM
Jul 2016
In the western tv show “the twilight show” they explain it pretty well, katawaredoki is the space between what’s real and what isn’t. what ties these two together is musubi, like the grandma explained.
Jun 2, 2019 2:07 AM
Jun 2019
Kataware Doki: When the sun sets (Dusk). The time when faraway spirits can meet. The word is deprived form local culture as stated by Mitsuha's classroom teacher.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Na wa. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

checkdafool - Jul 3, 2016

1387 by Hphone »»
1 hour ago

» The only couple that could say they’ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Is Your Name the best and worst thing to happen for Makoto Shinkai?

JuliusKingsley0 - Dec 29, 2023

47 by taleco »»
Jan 2, 1:22 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.