Forum Settings
Forums

If somebody was being attacked/raped would you intervene?

New
Sep 8, 2016 2:41 AM

Jan 2014
Pretty much the title.

This is a new kind of topic for me - I don't usually post topics like this - but hey, I haven't checked in with you guys in a while... -

It just came up after I left dinner with family - a car alarm went off and for some reason we started talking about scenarios where - whether or not somebody would help if a certain act took place;violence etc.

Personally - I'd make sure it isn't some sort of joke - and call 911 - not sure whether or not I'd intervene -

Please don't start a war over this topic - its just, well, casual discussion.

Live here in the now, chill with your buddy, Jambles.
Mangalist
Animelist
FanFiction/My Writing

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 8, 2016 2:45 AM

Aug 2016
Yes, because I too shitpost to "check in" with the forum community

Of course I would, who the hell wouldn't? I'd have my handy lead pipe/broken bottle shiv in hand in case some funny business went down or the assailant pulled something if it was real of course.
Sep 8, 2016 2:50 AM

Jan 2014
VariFox said:

Of course I would, who the hell wouldn't? I'd have my handy lead pipe/broken bottle shiv in hand in case some funny business went down or the assailant pulled something if it was real of course.
I'm not going to make a third thread titled "How is everybody's life, v3". >.>

You also have to consider the scenario - what if the attacker had a firearm - or something that you couldn't counter - would you take any of that into account before charging in to help?

Mangalist
Animelist
FanFiction/My Writing

Sep 8, 2016 2:53 AM

Aug 2016
Jambles said:
VariFox said:

I'm not going to make a third thread titled "How is everybody's life, v3". >.>

You also have to consider the scenario - what if the attacker had a firearm - or something that you couldn't counter - would you take any of that into account before charging in to help?

I've been a helpless scenario before (NO, IVE NOT BEEN RAPED, I JUST HATE FEELING HELPLESS OVERALL), so probably not. Even if I did get killed, at least I died trying to do the right thing.

Sounds stupid, I know, but considering the safety of myself probably wouldn't be something that crossed my mind if someone really is in danger.

Also I'm glad you took some consideration into your title, but I think if you made it HOWS EVERY1S LYFE XD V.NOONECARES, it would've been an ironic joke.
Sep 8, 2016 2:53 AM
Jul 2018
lol the end of your post reminded me of one of those catch lines such as "but hey that's just another one of my harmful opinions" or "it's just a theory a game theory" that aside

The answer to you question is depends on who it is

If it is a one average guy sure I'll do something but if it is a bunch of bald eastern Europeans with baseball bats then I'm finding a safe spot and dial the police
Sep 8, 2016 2:57 AM

Aug 2016
Depends on the scenario.
A woman getting raped in an alley? I'll help her out.

Two dudes engaging in fisticuffs? None of my business.

Someone getting robbed and violently assaulted by thugs? I'll be right there after I get the 2×4 out of the truck.
Sep 8, 2016 3:48 AM

Jan 2015
If someone tries to rape you pretend you want him to... get on your knees take off his pants and bite his weiner off because he doesn't deserve it and call the cops and tell them that he was trying to rape me so I ripped his weiner off.
Sep 8, 2016 3:54 AM

Nov 2011
The most I would do is call the cop. I am not a hero.

Sep 8, 2016 3:54 AM
Apr 2015
Well, that's a hard question, but my first course of action would be get my cellphone and make a thread in MAL asking if I should intervene or not.
Sep 8, 2016 4:04 AM

Jan 2014
Why would you bring up rape scenarios with your family? What type of family do you got OP?
I can't even bring up my love for my waifu with my family.
Sep 8, 2016 4:09 AM

Jan 2013
Bowie said:
Why would you bring up rape scenarios with your family? What type of family do you got OP?
Pretty sure bringing your waifu up is worse than bringing up rape
Sep 8, 2016 4:39 AM

Aug 2015
I don't really know. I would like to think that I was that awesome mc guy that always saves the girls. But I don't know what I would do if a situation like that happend to me in real life. I think it depends on if he's carrying a weapon or not. I'm too much of a pussy to fight a person with a weapon bare handed.
Sep 8, 2016 5:09 AM

May 2016
No because I don't want to get killed. It's not like it will end up like some manga where she will fall in love with me either. She is on her own.
Sep 8, 2016 5:12 AM

Feb 2016
Klad said:
Bowie said:
Pretty sure bringing your waifu up is worse than bringing up rape

"Dad, what should you do if you saw someone getting attacked?"

is a far easier topic to bring up than

"Dad, I'm in love with a cartoon character."
Sep 8, 2016 5:16 AM

Jul 2015
Interrrrrpetgyu said:
No...what would I even do? Mal users can't fight.

Being able to fight isn't a requirement in most street fights. you just need to be able to stand still after taking a couple punches, and scream like a madman.

I broke my thumb like an idiot trying to help someone in a rave party. Last time i got into a fight was because someone I barely knew was being assaulted while her friends and boyfriend stood there, looking and screaming. Tho I managed to land a beautiful punch on the guy's temple and didn't get hurt too much despite the size difference.
Sep 8, 2016 6:02 AM

Feb 2013
I would call the police for sure, is not like i can do much more than that.

Sep 8, 2016 6:24 AM

Jul 2014
A few years ago I saw someone being attacked by multiple people in an alleyway in my neighborhood. I was too scared to intervene at the time and, in all likelihood, I would still be today unfortunately.
Take care of yourself

Sep 8, 2016 6:43 AM

May 2016
I would call the police and I wouldn't really know if intervene or not . I'm not strong or intimidating, so I'm not much help.
Sep 8, 2016 6:45 AM
Jul 2018
I would more than likely intervene, but only that moment in time would determine what course of action I would take. I would definitely begin by calling 911 though and getting the police involved.
Sep 8, 2016 6:51 AM

Apr 2016
Well how much of a risk it is to my safety to intervene is a major factor, so it depends on many variables. If i didn't see much risk i would. But in any case i'd call cops.

Except for consensual statutory rape. If both people seem to be enjoying themselves i'm not going to report it.
Sep 8, 2016 8:18 AM

Sep 2015
I'd call the police for sure. In case it was a bait for people willing to help, I'd first make sure I can take both on if the need arises and get some help if not
Sep 8, 2016 8:22 AM

Oct 2015
Well I would call the police and shout for help but I couldn't exactly beat them up because I'm scrawny af.
Sep 8, 2016 8:46 AM

Jul 2016
If it was one guy, yes, however if there was more than one person I'd call the police and try to find others to help me. The answer to this question is obvious. If I found a guy trying to do anything like that to a girl (or another guy) I'd fuck them up, reguardless of how unhealthy I am. And if the girl was under 16? I'd probably go to jail for manslaughter.
“Existence is.. well.. what does it matter? I exist on the best terms I can. The past is now part of my future. The present is well out of hand.” -Ian Curtis
Sep 8, 2016 9:22 AM

Feb 2015
I'd just have to check all the relevant laws first, laws about aiding others, laws about use of force by non-officer of peace etc.

In America, you basically have to check with Uncle Sam on everything before you do anything.

By the time you are done reading, you basically just have to do whatever that law says.
Sep 8, 2016 9:28 AM
Jul 2018
Like any rational human being this day & age I would pull out my phone, start recording then start yelling "stop that!" over and over again at a safe distance.
Sep 8, 2016 9:40 AM

May 2016
I'd most likely call the cops and let them handle it. I might fantasize beating some bastard up from time to time, but I don't really enjoy the elevated risk of dying or anything.

Sep 8, 2016 9:51 AM

Aug 2016
I'd ask if I could hop in on the action.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Sep 8, 2016 9:59 AM
Jul 2018
I would intervene just to prove that I can do it nothing more nothing less. Though actions speak louder than words plus you never know what the situation will be etc.
Sep 8, 2016 10:00 AM

Apr 2015
I'd just pretend like I didn't see a thing.
My waifu, do not steal.
Sep 8, 2016 10:23 AM

May 2015
Physically involving myself isn't my obligation, but I'd do if I were extremely confident in my well being. I'm a coward, what can I say.

If by "intervention" you mean "call the police", I should do that, obviously. I've never been in the situation, can't say if I automatically *would*. I could become stupefied by fear, I guess. but assuming my brain is working, yeah.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Sep 8, 2016 10:39 AM
Jul 2018
Of course I would! Who wouldn't?

Please MAL, remove the 30 character crap. Please.
Sep 8, 2016 10:45 AM

Mar 2016
I'd just pass by as if nothing was happening. It is not my problem.

(Cue someone quoting me saying that if I am in trouble I would want someone to help me and that it would be good if no one did. Predictable. :P )
Sep 8, 2016 10:47 AM

Jun 2013
Yes because I'm not a garbage human being.
Sep 8, 2016 10:47 AM

Jul 2009
I wouldn't do anything cept maybe call the cops. My life is the most important thing in the world after all.
Sep 8, 2016 11:03 AM

Jun 2016
As long as it's no more than two people and neither of them have any firearms and only one of them has any sort of small weapon at most then I would intervene while asking someone in my vicinity to call the police if they hadn't done so already.Getting in fights is nothing unusual in my country.
Erg_OrgySep 8, 2016 11:10 AM
Sep 8, 2016 11:05 AM

May 2016
As others have said, it'd have to depend on the situation. Naturally, in all cases I would call the police before acting. If it was a violent rape, the rapist might not make it out alive--and for sure, one of us would be bleeding out on the ground by the end of it. If it's someone one-sidedly attacking someone else, I'd do my best to stop it. If it's an armed robbery, I wouldn't personally intervene in most cases.
"Shocking truth!" ~Chaika Trabant
"How unpleasant." ~Kuriyama Mirai
"Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there." ~Rem
"You don't die for your friends; you live for them." ~Misaka Mikoto
"Now I believe. In my own strength... and in the one who gave me that strength." ~Roze
"I'll be the guard dog of all your fever dreams."
Signature and forum avatar courtesy of @SenpieX
Sep 8, 2016 11:38 AM

Dec 2015
When I just think about that kind of situation I imagine that I would intervene (especially if its rape) but I don't know what would happen irl.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 8, 2016 12:53 PM

Mar 2016
I've never seen those things in my life where I live :/. It's not a very violent place. Only violence I see is at school.

So it'd be extremely unlikely anyway.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Sep 8, 2016 4:01 PM

Jan 2014
VagueClarity said:
As others have said, it'd have to depend on the situation. Naturally, in all cases I would call the police before acting. If it was a violent rape, the rapist might not make it out alive--and for sure, one of us would be bleeding out on the ground by the end of it. If it's someone one-sidedly attacking someone else, I'd do my best to stop it. If it's an armed robbery, I wouldn't personally intervene in most cases.
I feel that this is the most accurate for me as well...

Mangalist
Animelist
FanFiction/My Writing

Sep 8, 2016 4:10 PM

May 2009
Call 911 from a distance and then leave unless instructed to stay there.
Sep 8, 2016 4:24 PM

Oct 2014
Yeah sure id help someone getting raped. As for getting jumped in not sure. For all I know they could deserve it. Maybe if try to break it up and see what the issue is
Sep 8, 2016 5:38 PM

Oct 2015
Been there, done that : Got beaten but at least nothing happened to my friend. I rushed into it thinking it was the best course of action, and understood a bit too late I put myself into danger 'cause no survival instinct yo
Sep 8, 2016 5:44 PM

Aug 2009
If it was someone I actually cared about and I thought I had a good chance I might give it a shot, but yeah whiteknighting for a complete stranger or even someone you know usually isn't a good idea and you're likely to get into a lot more trouble than it's worth.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Sep 8, 2016 11:01 PM

Feb 2013
It depends on the situation. I would always call 911 but depending on how it looks I might not interfere. If it was just one person attack an other I would probably help but more than one nope.
Sep 8, 2016 11:37 PM

Oct 2012
It would depend on the situation. I'd probably call for help at minimum, but i honestly am not built for any kind of physical confrontation, so who knows.
Sep 8, 2016 11:46 PM

Mar 2008
I always want to help but I dont always know if I can help so I cant be sure how I would react.

I once wound up involved in a situation I intervened long distance an assault of a friend.
Sep 8, 2016 11:52 PM

Jun 2015
I'll try to help as much as I can, by calling the cops or something. I wouldnt intervene physically unless it must be so, and even then I'll only intervene physically when there is no tangible threat to my life.
Sep 24, 2016 11:13 PM
Sep 2016
I would and I have intervened. I hate bullies and we'll fight them till the end. I've been stabbed and I've had two guns pulled on me plus many knives, bats, chains. I've been sent to the hospital several times and yet. I will always stand up for anyone who is weak. I guess that's why I served 12 years in the Army. Once I was hurt I sat out the last year and knew my career was over.
Sep 24, 2016 11:22 PM

Dec 2009
I might freeze but I'm a little confident that I would. Not fully tho.
Sep 24, 2016 11:35 PM

Mar 2014
I'd shoot them in the head. If I could somehow be sure they didn't have a weapon, I'd beat the shit out of them with my bare hands and probably toss them in a dumpster. I'm pretty jacked, a very good shot, and I don't see violent offenders as people in the heat of the moment, so I'd probably end up ripping him to shreds long after the thread was neutralized.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 9 hours ago

9 by traed »»
26 minutes ago

» Believe it or not, but my father-in-law works for law enforcement

DesuMaiden - 2 hours ago

8 by Theo1899 »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

59 by cody »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Yesterday

15 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
2 hours ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

68 by shadowdownfall »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.