Forum Settings
Forums
Sep 6, 2016 8:45 AM

Senpai here who watch the movie, Can you guys tell me if it happy or sad?? or between, like Kotonoha Niwa?

don't spoil me please..

if the ending is like 5 cm then i'm out, my kokoro can't handle it. Last time I watched 5 cm, I couldn't sleep for 3 days.

envy__ said:
HAPPY. it is open ended like his previous works but this one is different. this gives the characters a chance to start a new relationship, they still have the feeling of liking to know each other unlike his other works which of course are also open ended but the characters ending up together are highly unlikely

good job shinkai makoto, you sure broke your barriers with this one :)

Modified by Debasky, Sep 10, 2016 9:44 PM
4th times getting signature banned wtf

Sep 6, 2016 9:06 AM
Alea iacta est

The ending is satisfying.

Sep 6, 2016 11:49 PM

TheKillerAngel said:

but your signature is shingatsu kimi wa no uso
Describe your "satisfying" means XD

Sep 7, 2016 12:06 AM
Alea iacta est

nearbaskara said:
TheKillerAngel said:

If I were to compare the feeling of the ending to any other anime, it's most like Steins;Gate's.
Modified by TheKillerAngel, Sep 7, 2016 2:31 AM

Sep 7, 2016 3:09 AM
Shinkai this time was able to write a happy ending :)

Sep 8, 2016 6:51 AM

The ending wasn't satisfying,i heard lots of people saying that shinkai did the unpredictable about the ending but it seems like nothing much have changed much,i agree it was better than 5CMPS but same as GOW.

Sep 8, 2016 7:28 AM

How to not spoil you if you already want to know how it ends before even watching it.
All those feels, the movie is a masterpiece but yes, as @TheKillerAngel stated, the ending is satisfying.

Sep 9, 2016 5:23 PM

TheKillerAngel said:
nearbaskara said:

If I were to compare the feeling of the ending to any other anime, it's most like Steins;Gate's.

This. With a touch of the Angel Beats' ending I might add.

Modified by Rose_Bomb, Sep 9, 2016 6:08 PM

Sep 9, 2016 5:31 PM

just watch it, sometimes our kokoro just has to take the risk.

Sep 9, 2016 9:13 PM
good ending, goodness

Sep 9, 2016 9:26 PM

It's an "Angel Beats" kinda ending, only slightly better.

If I were to pick between good or bad I'd say it was definitely a good ending.

Sep 9, 2016 9:48 PM

the ending was satisfying but rather it seemed open ended ....some questions were still left unanswered

Sep 9, 2016 9:49 PM
The ending is irregular than his other work to "Hoshi no Koe," "Kotonoha no Niwa,"and "5 cm per sec." The only thing I've got to say that it is different from "5cm per second" if you want to compare "Kimi no na wa" with it.

You are making this hard for me when saying if it is a happy or sad ending.

Sep 10, 2016 3:39 AM

I just watched the movie, thanks guys
For thus who wants to know the answer of my thread, it is a Happy Ending.
Modified by Debasky, Sep 10, 2016 9:23 PM

Sep 10, 2016 4:06 AM

Honestly?

The ending felt weak for me, I was expecting much more than that.
".......You were to write a story with me in the lead role it would certainly be...a tragedy."
-Kaneki Ken

Sep 10, 2016 4:07 AM

Not sad, but happy is also not really fitting. satisfying is indeed the best description.

Sep 10, 2016 4:11 AM

The ending was better than his previous works but you really can't call it as a happy ending rather it was open,you never know what the future holds.

Sep 10, 2016 4:21 AM

well the choices are Happy end or Sad End , so yeah .. the first option is the right choice right,
this scene though
Modified by Debasky, Sep 10, 2016 4:39 AM

Sep 10, 2016 7:21 AM

A happy and appropriate great ending. Definitely not a satisfying for me because of how opened it was.

Sep 10, 2016 7:36 AM

nearbaskara said:
well the choices are Happy end or Sad End , so yeah .. the first option is the right choice right,
this scene though

The was the funniest scene! LOL!

Sep 10, 2016 11:19 AM

"Open", please stop people. Have you seen 5cm or any of his other works? This is actually very conclusive for him. If you've seen Steins Gate and liked how that ended then its the same thing. Their is a conclusion and everything that happens after is obviously implied.

Sep 10, 2016 7:32 PM

Major123 said:
"Open", please stop people. Have you seen 5cm or any of his other works? This is actually very conclusive for him. If you've seen Steins Gate and liked how that ended then its the same thing. Their is a conclusion and everything that happens after is obviously implied.

I was wondering myself why people kept saying that the ending was open ended when it wasn't.

Sep 10, 2016 9:14 PM

redd530 said:
Major123 said:

I was wondering myself why people kept saying that the ending was open ended when it wasn't.
Right? It's easy to see what happens after, so I don't get why people are saying its open.

Sep 10, 2016 9:34 PM

Bit of both, really. Like all of Shinkai's endings. It really depends on how you process it. LOL

Sep 10, 2016 9:39 PM

HAPPY. it is open ended like his previous works but this one is different. this gives the characters a chance to start a new relationship, they still have the feeling of liking to know each other unlike his other works which of course are also open ended but the characters ending up together are highly unlikely (which makes them not actually open ended lol)

good job shinkai makoto, you sure broke your barriers with this one :)
Modified by envy__, Sep 10, 2016 9:42 PM
why am i so well drawn into time travel stories?
do i really have that many regrets?

Sep 10, 2016 11:35 PM
Wait how was it obvious that they wont end together after the events of the movie? From how I saw it they were very likely to end together since they found the thing that they were always searching for. The quote from Mitsuha's grandmother even concluded that they were going to end together regardless with the unraveling of the strings that will once again meet together.
I really wonder if some people actually watched the movie.

Sep 11, 2016 4:58 AM

Pretty sure that they got together after, because
, but that shit's just a theory.
what's the penalty for not having an anime profile picture

Sep 11, 2016 5:58 AM
Patcan answer says it all, definitely a good ending and the new beginning for them.

Sep 11, 2016 10:17 AM

CoolMorz said:
Honestly?

The ending felt weak for me, I was expecting much more than that.

Me too, but it was satisfying as a whole

Sep 11, 2016 10:20 AM

It's an Angel Beats-y ending. So... It's a good ending.

Sep 11, 2016 10:45 AM
Alea iacta est

FYI, the red ribbon of fate is a symbol of destined bonding in East Asian culture, so if you really cared to read that much into the film's intro sequence it would indicate that they would end up together again.

Sep 11, 2016 11:52 AM
More like its impossible for them to not come together after the movie since that will directly contradict what the movie is trying to convey. Mitsuha and Taki are halves of each other. Mikoto was using the "finding the other half" theme as the basis of the movie. Unlike his other movies which details the realistic portrayals of life that is restrained by circumstances, "Your Name" mystifies the idea of the red string of fate by showing how Mitsuha and Taki always felt like they were missing a piece of puzzle even through the different periods of time.

Dec 22, 2017 9:23 PM
Veone said:
Pretty sure that they got together after, because
, but that shit's just a theory.

君の名は?Literally translated as "your name is" is simply how Japanese grammar works and has nothing to do with them actually saying "your name is...." a proper translation would be "what's your name"

Dec 22, 2017 9:29 PM
Major123 said:
redd530 said:

Right? It's easy to see what happens after, so I don't get why people are saying its open.

It IS open. Every time you have to decide on whether it is an open movie why would you compare it with only other movies made by the same person? What's the point of that?

It's definitely more conclusive than Shinkai's other works so you could say that in, and only in, Shinkai's terms it was conclusive.

Anyhow in comparison with most anime out here it's very open. Just because something was implied does not mean it is conclusive. In fact if the ending need interpretation of the implication then that is pretty much suggesting towards an open-ending.

Dec 23, 2017 7:12 AM

123tris said:
Major123 said:

It IS open. Every time you have to decide on whether it is an open movie why would you compare it with only other movies made by the same person? What's the point of that?

It's definitely more conclusive than Shinkai's other works so you could say that in, and only in, Shinkai's terms it was conclusive.

Anyhow in comparison with most anime out here it's very open. Just because something was implied does not mean it is conclusive. In fact if the ending need interpretation of the implication then that is pretty much suggesting towards an open-ending.
Its done with, its closed.

Dec 23, 2017 3:30 PM
Major123 said:
123tris said:

Its done with, its closed.

"A closed ending is when a TV show or film end with no confusion, meaning that it ends without making the audience think of what might happen next, no ambiguity". The movie ends at the beginning of their reunion the beginning of how they meet. The ending is a beginning not an end. Everybody thinks that they will get together because that's what has been hinted through the movie. But at the end of the day that part of the story was never told. Thus it is ambiguous and therefor open.

Jan 3, 2018 5:25 AM
It is a happy ending. One might think it's up in the air, but the whole ending scene would be completely pointless if they weren't going to get together. Same with Angel beats, although angel beats have a bigger "unknown" factor to it, yet i have the same thoughts on that. If i were to label the endings it would be a Faux open ending.

Jan 3, 2018 6:39 AM
~SPOILERS~

if anything the ending is up to the viewer, did they hit it off? did they continue with their regular lives? id like to think that when they remembered their names they remembered everything. but thats just me.

May 8, 2018 8:10 AM
The ending was good..they met ...and when tears flowed down their eyes they realized that they were finding each other and they asked each other's name..Movie ends *..future they would tell their names and we can assume that they will live happily together because the thing they both are missing are each other person..and they both signalled that "haven't we met".. taki wasn't able to do any good in life because he was missing mitsuha and mitsuha was kinda lost because she wanted the thing to fill here life but she like taki forgot what it was..but since they found each other with an attitude of acceptance towards each other ..they realized it..so it is a happy ending..wished they would have released an OVA of them together showing their lives and all.

Aug 8, 2018 2:12 PM
I just call it a 'hopeful' ending.
Eventhough it's not particularly happy, it doesn't seem like all is lost.

Nov 10, 2018 5:34 PM

Seeing how this movie went and what could happen, I think it was a good ending.
Got a little worried near the end haha.
YT: Gaming (gw2,...), cons and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vercammen312
Monster girls club card: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=27137
See profile for exemples.

Jan 1, 11:54 AM
It's a happier ending, than the one in The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (which is quite similar to this movie)

Apr 9, 12:54 AM
The end is so satisfying to watch even at home.

"Fake people have an image to maintain. Real people just don't care." -Hikigaya Hachiman

Aug 18, 11:52 PM

The ending is weird, not happy or sad. It could be better lol.
Life has no meaning.

Aug 26, 2:31 AM
三葉

Its a satisfying ending, leaning towards it being more on the happy side.