Forum Settings
Forums

Japanese/Korean/Chines Productions and Other Productions

New
Sep 5, 2016 4:02 PM

Jun 2014
Hey ! Well, sorry if it isn't the good place to ask this.

First of all, I'd like to say that I know the guideline and am not requesting any U.S productions.

I'm just wondering why these are not accepted. There is a lot of good animated shows produced by u.s or some other countries. Why especially Japanese (no need to ask but welp), Korean and Chinese ? What prevents you from doing a "general" animated shows database ?

Sorry for asking and thanks for reading.

And sorry for the mistakes.
I didn't learn english at school, please be indulgent and help me.
Sep 5, 2016 4:28 PM

Oct 2014
I would be all for allowing French, Italian, Thai, and Filipino anime into the database but the problem is the fact that the line has to be drawn somewhere. Japan does make 60% of the world's animation, but I'm not sure how this was calculated and it may even include animation outsourced to Japan. MAL has always only accepted anime from those three countries (or four, including North Korea) and I don't think they have much reason to change it. It would change the whole idea of the site if all professionally produced animation was allowed. Even terms like "shoujo" and "seinen" feel a bit out of place on manhwa and calling Dick Figures an "ecchi comedy ONA" or My Little Pony a "magical shoujo series" would just feel weird, not to mention how differently anime and Western series are aired.
Sep 5, 2016 4:28 PM

Feb 2015
MAL is mostly just focused on japanese content, which is understandable. japanese content is already a lot so subgenres like chinese and korean work will be lower than the regular.
Sep 5, 2016 4:32 PM

Jun 2014
zombie_pegasus said:
I would be all for allowing French, Italian, Thai, and Filipino anime into the database but the problem is the fact that the line has to be drawn somewhere. Japan does make 60% of the world's animation, but I'm not sure how this was calculated and it may even include animation outsourced to Japan. MAL has always only accepted anime from those three countries (or four, including North Korea) and I don't think they have much reason to change it. It would change the whole idea of the site if all professionally produced animation was allowed. Even terms like "shoujo" and "seinen" feel a bit out of place on manhwa and calling Dick Figures an "ecchi comedy ONA" or My Little Pony a "magical shoujo series" would just feel weird, not to mention how differently anime and Western series are aired.

Oh, did not think about that, make it clearer to me, thanks c:

TomDay said:
MAL is mostly just focused on japanese content, which is understandable. japanese content is already a lot so subgenres like chinese and korean work will be lower than the regular.

Well, that's true I don't know a lot of korean/chinese productions .-. ...
Sep 5, 2016 6:00 PM

Jan 2011
Loki940 said:

Why especially Japanese (no need to ask but welp), Korean and Chinese ?

This is a bit of a legacy. A long long time ago before the internet was invented, anime and manga looked the same to Westerners. All we knew was that it came out of East Asia and looked cool and it looked NOTHING like the stuff America or France or Russia was making. Nobody could read the scribbles (no google translate) to tell if it was made in Japan or China or Korea. Especially since a lot of the stuff was bootlegs coming out of China or Korea. It was a giant mix (there was Thai, Indonesian, and Singaporean stuff in there too but very little). As time went on we got smarter and figuring it out. With the advent of the internet we were able to figure out countries of origin, creators, production years, etc. And we saw that these 3 countries were the biggest producers of the media we loved. So we made anime and manga databases around them and excluded everyone else because it we only wanted to continue to follow the 3 countries who made 99% of the things we loved coming out of East Asia.

Loki940 said:
What prevents you from doing a "general" animated shows database ?

There's a website that already does that, it's IMDB. They have animated shows from every country (as long as people submit them to the database).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2309107/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1751105/?ref_=fn_al_tt_6

But doing a "general" animated shows database no longer makes it myanimelist. It would have to become myanimationlist or mycartoonlist. Well you are always free to make it yourself. There is mydramalist which works the same as MAL only allowing Japanese, Korean, and Chinese dramas.

And there's a website that does classic old animated shows.
https://www.bcdb.com/

MAL has no incentive to change the bedrock of its foundation. It's like asking a Christian church that they should worship Vishnu too.
But there websites out there being created that do what they want to see. Like Hummingbird with its anime-inspired section.
Sep 5, 2016 6:13 PM

Jun 2014
lanblade said:
Loki940 said:

Why especially Japanese (no need to ask but welp), Korean and Chinese ?

This is a bit of a legacy. A long long time ago before the internet was invented, anime and manga looked the same to Westerners. All we knew was that it came out of East Asia and looked cool and it looked NOTHING like the stuff America or France or Russia was making. Nobody could read the scribbles (no google translate) to tell if it was made in Japan or China or Korea. Especially since a lot of the stuff was bootlegs coming out of China or Korea. It was a giant mix (there was Thai, Indonesian, and Singaporean stuff in there too but very little). As time went on we got smarter and figuring it out. With the advent of the internet we were able to figure out countries of origin, creators, production years, etc. And we saw that these 3 countries were the biggest producers of the media we loved. So we made anime and manga databases around them and excluded everyone else because it we only wanted to continue to follow the 3 countries who made 99% of the things we loved coming out of East Asia.

Loki940 said:
What prevents you from doing a "general" animated shows database ?

There's a website that already does that, it's IMDB. They have animated shows from every country (as long as people submit them to the database).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2309107/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1751105/?ref_=fn_al_tt_6

But doing a "general" animated shows database no longer makes it myanimelist. It would have to become myanimationlist or mycartoonlist. Well you are always free to make it yourself. There is mydramalist which works the same as MAL only allowing Japanese, Korean, and Chinese dramas.

And there's a website that does classic old animated shows.
https://www.bcdb.com/

MAL has no incentive to change the bedrock of its foundation. It's like asking a Christian church that they should worship Vishnu too.
But there websites out there being created that do what they want to see. Like Hummingbird with its anime-inspired section.

Does China and Korea really produce a lot of animes (Not asking for Manhwa/Manhua) ? Haven't seen a lot of them. Actually the only I knows are Cupid's Chocolate and Gin no Guardian that is not yet aired.

Also, I know imdb but am not really using it. MAL is way more conveniant and if I want to make a list I could always use Google Drive (Like I am already doing for movies ;-;). Being a huge RWBY fan and after seeing a lot of entry posts for RWBY being denied I looked at the conditions, and was just wondering why other countries where out of question. I never wished to change MAL, I just had a lot of questions in my head :p.

Don't get me wrong, I never wished to add RWBY, Avatar, Steven Universe or any other animated shows on MAL, I was just wondering why it was this way. ^^"
Sep 5, 2016 7:11 PM

Jan 2011
Loki940 said:

Does China and Korea really produce a lot of animes (Not asking for Manhwa/Manhua) ? Haven't seen a lot of them. Actually the only I knows are Cupid's Chocolate and Gin no Guardian that is not yet aired.

They do.
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=41909
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=42215
The biggest issue is that this is a user-submitted database. Not many people speak+read Chinese or Korean on MAL. It's hard adding their anime since you have to research in their languages. We did a general head count in the Chinese anime club and from 1 streaming website alone there are about 1,500 Chinese anime that need to be added to MAL's databse. Who knows how many more are scattered across other Chinese websites.
Sep 5, 2016 7:14 PM

Jun 2014
lanblade said:
Loki940 said:

They do.
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=41909
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=42215
The biggest issue is that this is a user-submitted database. Not many people speak+read Chinese or Korean on MAL. It's hard adding their anime since you have to research in their languages. We did a general head count in the Chinese anime club and from 1 streaming website alone there are about 1,500 Chinese anime that need to be added to MAL's databse. Who knows how many more are scattered across other Chinese websites.

Oh wow, thanks for the infos, I'll take a look at that, maybe I'll found some adaptation I'd like c:
Sep 5, 2016 7:34 PM

Jun 2014
I know its already been answered, but MAL wasn't created for the purpose of being a global animation database and I think it should stay that way because then the site would just be trying to sell out in order to grab the attention of these people and from my experience selling out WILL create waves within this commuity. No matter what the admins decide to do I will be behind them and support this site, but I respect them so much because they have a vision with this site and run it the way they want to.
Sep 5, 2016 8:16 PM

Aug 2013
Mal sees and classifies East Asian cartoons as anime even though outside of Japan anime is supposed to only be Japanese cartoons. It kind of makes the anime = Chinese cartoons joke a reality on Mal. Western cartoons will never be added as well to Mal because most of the Mal fanbase strongly despises it and see it as a separate medium.

For an all animation site with lists and forums you should ask http://www.toonzone.net/ to introduce a list feature.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8664 by JohnnyNumbuh28 »»
4 hours ago

» will the Scott Pilgrim anime be added to the database? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GanjiTheDude - Mar 30, 2023

753 by DarkSageRK »»
5 hours ago

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

681 by RioAl »»
11 hours ago

» Will "Enter the Garden" make the cut and enter the db?

JB510 - Yesterday

0 by JB510 »»
Yesterday, 8:19 PM

» If Scott Pilgrim isn't allowed on MAL, please enforce your rules properly and remove Afro Samurai ( 1 2 )

_cjessop19_ - Nov 19, 2023

96 by Old_School_Akira »»
Apr 14, 5:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.