Do you watch anime in 60fps?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 15, 2016 11:56 PM

Feb 2013
Ezekiel said:
No, I'm a purist.
romagia said:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1289223
cant believe i still have links to that in my history with the old thread format of 20 posts per page .<.

dunno how to actually check fps tho
but im mildly curious if someone else can chime in
You should be able to see the framerate in Windows if you open the details pane with Alt + Shift + P. If not, you can also right click the video and go to properties and then the details tab. MPC shows it as well, if you right click, go down to properties and then the media info tab.
wooooooow my anime goes at 23.976 frames a sec
what a rip-off
i demand 24fps
Sep 16, 2016 12:44 AM

Aug 2013
The human eye can see only 30fps, you do know that right?
Sep 16, 2016 3:33 AM

Apr 2015
This is a thing?
I mean, I know there is that one user on youtube, Animi or something, that uses some software to make various scenes in anime and film in 60fps, with varying levels of success. But I didn't realize that there are actually people out here who actually do just that for entire series.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Sep 16, 2016 3:51 AM

Jul 2013
Personally, I do not. To me, it tends to look super floaty and ruins some of the cinematic feel. If you can call it that XD, but if you want to watch 60fps Anime though be my guest, but to me, it just looks like fake 60fps and hurts my soul.
Sep 16, 2016 4:33 AM

Dec 2015
I watch them as I always watched videos since my birth: 25-30fps (based on the country's origin) with the obvious still moments. Despite rare scenes where the "camera" slides over a landscape in cellulos animations, I never noticed any bad picture "jump" probably because I am used to this level of smoothness.

Even if the current videos were native 60fps, I couldn't bear them. I came to tears (sometimes crying like a river) everytime I tried to follow my brother playing some heroic-fantasy PS3 game (Skyrim, maybe) on a flat electronic screen. (the oldest game who made me cry was Dreamcast's Sonic Adventure on an old tube monitor, the speed maybe)
Sep 16, 2016 4:43 AM
Oct 2010
How can you watch anime in 60fps when it was only created with 23fps!
Sep 16, 2016 4:51 AM

Aug 2015
Clipso said:
How can you watch anime in 60fps when it was only created with 23fps!
It's not created with 23 FPS pleb, it's crated with 12 fps and the studio just coverts them to 24 fps later.
Just compare 2 frames of any anime and you'll be able to see it.
Valenthius said:
The human eye can see only 30fps, you do know that right?
Plzz, human eyes can capture 60 frames per second while the human brain can process nearly 48 frames per second...
Sep 16, 2016 6:39 AM

Feb 2010
Lord_Sithis said:
I don't even think 60 fps anime exists. Animators struggle really hard to make 3 frames per day. 60 fps would be pretty much impossible to them. If there does exist, it's probably fake, I can't see them drawing thst many frames.

A nice way to emulate real 60 fps to see how it would look is to simply speed up a slow motion animation... Well I don't know if you could attain real 60 fps since even x2 at 24 fps it's not 60. But it's still interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg83rfIJW6Y

I'd also seen a webm of an Haruhi movie scene a bit sped up, since the base animation was already excellent it was stunning.

black1blade said:
I was kinda worried when I saw that one of the most down voted posts on r/anime was someone denouncing 60fps interpolation.

I made a post about that too https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/4kt30r/why_are_60_fps_anime_especially_bad/

Though I had to let it go with benefit of doubt since I never truly tried 60fps anime interpolation with the best settings, but I still think it would trash the animation timing (or something, it just looks weird but I haven't researched in-depth for the cause, the first and most logical theory would be that it is not an integer multiple so some frames might be weirdly done).

Though now that I pay attention, I can see the choppy panning some people are talking about in the comments, without interpolation.

One thing I wondered though, is if converting video to 60 fps allows to bypass Youtube video detection (for copyright). But I didn't manage to create a hardcoded 60fps video, and my laptop is shit anyway.

lighthalzen-kunSep 16, 2016 7:18 AM

“Read as little as possible of critical or aesthetic works. They are either products of a close-minded spirit, petrified and devoid of meaning in their lifeless hardening, or clever verbal games [...]. Works of art are of an infinite solitude; nothing is worse than criticism for approaching them. Only love can grasp them, keep them, be just toward them. Always give precedence to your own feeling against these analyses, these reviews, these introductions. [...] You must let every impression, every seed of feeling, ripen within you, in the dark, in the inexpressible, in the unconscious, those regions closed to understanding. Wait with humility and patience for the hour of the birth of a new clarity. Art demands of its faithful followers as much as of its creators.”
— RAINER-MARIA Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet (letter dated April 23, 1903).
Sep 16, 2016 7:00 AM
Aug 2016
From the little I've read on the topic, there's no hard & fast limit of "how many FPS the eye can see/brain process". After all, we don't swe the world in FPSes. But as a rough translation, fighter pilots can train their perception to see 255 fps, so it may well be a trainable skill. It's certainly false that the eye can only see 30fps
MindForgedSep 16, 2016 7:06 AM
Sep 16, 2016 8:12 AM

Aug 2014
Rei366 said:
I watch them as I always watched videos since my birth: 25-30fps (based on the country's origin) with the obvious still moments. Despite rare scenes where the "camera" slides over a landscape in cellulos animations, I never noticed any bad picture "jump" probably because I am used to this level of smoothness.

Even if the current videos were native 60fps, I couldn't bear them. I came to tears (sometimes crying like a river) everytime I tried to follow my brother playing some heroic-fantasy PS3 game (Skyrim, maybe) on a flat electronic screen. (the oldest game who made me cry was Dreamcast's Sonic Adventure on an old tube monitor, the speed maybe)

Like all old games run at 60 (or 50 if you are in PAL regions) fps, it's only since the last console gen that games started not on the whole.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Sep 16, 2016 8:24 AM

May 2010
anime isnt even animated in 24 fps/drawings per second and you interpolate that..ugh.

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/4kt30r/why_are_60_fps_anime_especially_bad/
Sep 16, 2016 8:26 AM

Dec 2015
24 fps Master Race (aka people who understand the frame rate that animation is supposed to be viewed at)
Sep 16, 2016 8:32 AM

Jun 2015
i usually watch animes at 2x speed so it's 48fps.
Sep 16, 2016 8:35 AM

Aug 2014
Ryo_Misaki said:

Probably worse than people who watch it at 60 jesus crist.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Sep 16, 2016 8:35 AM

Apr 2016
I only tried it with Monogatari series. It was kinda nice cuz the art is already good but sometimes it would just screw up the audio timing so i stopped.
Sep 16, 2016 8:39 AM

Dec 2015
@black1blade Understood, but weren't pre-PS3 games using more "fixed images" or something? Every time I watch "recent" videogames, particularly on modern monitors, they are hard on my eyes.
Anyway, sorry for my bad expression.
Sep 16, 2016 8:56 AM

Jun 2015
black1blade said:
Ryo_Misaki said:

Probably worse than people who watch it at 60 jesus crist.

yeah, it doesn't feel smooth at all. Characters are just moving so fast.
Dec 28, 2017 10:05 AM
Nov 2016
I like watching fight scenes in 60fps. In fact, I just finished watching Saitama and Genos' match in 60 fps on youtube. I'm split on it. 60-40%. I mostly like it though and as I mentioned I like it for fights. In well animated fight scenes like those found in one punch man it benefits well since it adds some nice smoothness to the fighting. But one thing I don't like is in panning shots the background looks like it's moving too quickly.
Dec 28, 2017 10:17 AM

Apr 2017
I haven't tried with Anime yet, but I tried 60fps with other series and it didn't look good at all.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 28, 2017 10:23 AM

May 2009
metadata said:
I don't even live real life in 60FPS.
Frankly speaking, no one does. It's merely a gamer's standard for what is minimal for being considered smooth animation, especially for a polygon-based 3D game.

However, animation isn't videogames, and does other stuff like using different framerates simultaneously and using motion blur and stuff like that. (Heck, even 2D games with sprite graphics often use motion blur.)

Anyway, I don't change the framerate. Sometimes it looks choppy but I just let it go like I do many other things.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 28, 2017 11:12 AM

Jan 2017
If you think that frame interpolation is okay then you're, quite frankly, not fit to breathe the same air as the rest of humanity. There's a reason why movie theaters only show movies at their native frame rate: frame interpolation is unnecessary, distracting, and disgusting. It's literally a gimmick used by television manufacturers. The western/eastern film and animation industries don't want anything to do with it because they know it's an objectively bad thing.
My name is 3DPD and this is my Internet forum signature. If there's anything I've learned in 21 years of using Internet forums, it's that life is meaningless and nothing we say or do here will matter in the grand scheme of things.
Dec 28, 2017 5:29 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
No, interpolation looks pretty bad. I'd rather dedicate my resources to improving image quality.
Dec 29, 2017 6:45 AM

Jun 2013
For a while, I had 60 FPS set up. It did look smooth, but sometimes the lines would jitter so I removed it. If there were a way to fix that I'd only watch anime in 60 FPS.
Dec 29, 2017 6:56 AM

Jan 2017
My brother showed a video of Fate in 60fps and it was so smooth but something feels unnatural. The smoothness of it feels unnatural and weird to me.
Dec 29, 2017 9:18 AM

Sep 2014
Thats a thing? I only ever watched some ATLA episodes in 60 fps but mainly because I wanted a better definition for big screens.

Would be interesting to do with Knights of Sidonia, because that felt like it needs it
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 19, 2023 10:45 PM
Jul 2018
Zalis said:
The true anime connoisseurs don't just watch in 60 fps; they also upscale to 1440p, change the aspect ratio to 2.35:1, and boost the color saturation with 16-bit encoding.
how do you upscale the video and encode the video? Is there any free softwares to use?
Mar 20, 2023 12:32 AM

May 2018
For example Bai Lian Cheng Shen aka Apotheosis is a donghua originally made in 60 fps and its movements look smooth in this format...but those upscaled videos you can find on YouTube are quite awkward.
Mar 20, 2023 12:35 AM

Jul 2022
No. If possible I watch it in 4:3 and 480p.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

self-suff-des - 7 minutes ago

2 by Rachiba »»
52 seconds ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

69 by Gensouori »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

32 by MasterTasuke »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

119 by Miyamotodex23 »»
13 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

33 by MasterTasuke »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.