Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Sep 3, 2016 3:04 AM

Oct 2013
Yet another amazing episode, what suspence I had.
Seems like I was partially right about Mitarai. Junko wanted to use him to spread a despair-inducting message, but he hasn't fall to despair, thankfully. This means the chances of him being a traitor in Mirai-hen gets very low.

While Mitarai "survived" to despair, Mikan didn't make it and already surrended to Junko and become the lustful evil girl we got to know even in the game.
Komaeda's luck goes wild in this episode and, although I hate him from the bottom of my heart, I must admit that his chara design is wonderful. How could he get to know so many things about Junko and Ikusaba Mukuro? How could he find their secret hideout? How could he survive a gunshot? Luck. Just luck.
He's a very smart boy, that has learned to use his luck to his advantage, I don't know how he does but he always discovers any secret for hope sake and, to me, it's a shame he will fall to despair in the end, and it's a shame too I can't get to appreciate him for what he does.

Next episode has one of the best titles so far: "Worst reunion by Chance."
It's time to accept the fact that next episode will be the last one (probably) where we'll see Nanami still alive. I just hope her death will not come from Izuru's hands.

I'm in a serious hype now.
Sep 3, 2016 4:52 AM

Aug 2014
Dammit that's quite a drastic change of Mikan's personality in just a short amount time.
So I guess she's the first 77th class student that fall into despair, is it not?

So much for DR 0 stuff in this episode. They only show that Neurologist guy in one frame, and that's it.. Not that I mind since I didn't read it in the first place anyway..

Damn Komaeda seems like he planned everything right from the start! There's no way it's just coincidence! He even take Mukuro into account by using Peko to hold Mukuro up! And this is before he even entered the secret chamber, probably without knowing who is he will be up against!
Peko is badass tho, she got dat real sword in disguise there eh. Scary.. I wonder if that is the same sword in the DR2 game too..
Sep 3, 2016 6:27 AM
Jul 2016
Everyone is asking: how Komaeda knew about everything? Well, first remember that every Reserve Course student know about the Izuru project (not with details but they know that the Academy experimented with humans) because Junko told them, so Komaeda just had to ask one of the Reserve Course students why they were on strike. About Mukuro and Junko, I think he didn't really knew, but seeing that a lot of security guards were killed and what happened in the student council he guessed that someone in the school was involved, and he suspected the only one capable of doing such things, the Ultimate Soldier. It was just a coincidence that he was right.
Sep 3, 2016 7:39 AM

Dec 2014
All that Komaeda Izuru stuff aside. (i am going crazy about this. I am scared that this will turn out as "bad writing" and that would break my hearth. Because the whole Junko thing her body being crushed and the RoD took her body and did stuff to it was never explained. Because after the final execution in DR1 there was no body^^ all that was left was blood or called in the fandom Junko GOO ;D )
I doubt Chiaki will die next episode. Because there is still the need for an explanation about the Chiaki AI in the NeoWorldProgramm. So they need to somehow make this work out.
Sep 3, 2016 10:27 AM
Mar 2012
Munakata trio are supposed to investigate school secrets/kamakura, why are they instead wasting time with reserve students?
Interesting stuff. Komaeda knows everything.
Glasses kendo gril pretty cool.
Feels like Zetusbou getting significantly better than Mirai mess.
Sep 3, 2016 12:24 PM

Aug 2009
I get way more emotional with Despair arc than Future arc. All in the 77th class are precious and I love when we actually get some good screentime with all of them. They are good kids, who spend two years together, making memories and the everpresent lingering fact that they will turn ultimate despairs is heartbreaking. Finally we will see the effects of Junko and the tragedy they soon will take part in.

Mikan is totally broken. This isn't even how Junko intended her worshipper to act and the poor girl was a test subject gone wrong.

Mitarai is a cinnamon roll, too pure, must protect this boy *cries* I guess he won't be involved with the 77th class. Maybe Munakata and Chiisa will adopt him take him to safety ?

People are guessing Nanami will die next episode. That will indeed do a big despair enduring impact on everyone, assumedly Izuru too. We know that Komaeda and Chiisa will live, so maybe Junko made a deal with them... lets see what happens.

On a side note; weird to think that Naegi and rest of class 78 are at Hope's Peak too. Seeing them would be the greatest thing, unfortunately there's no time for this.
mikadocsSep 3, 2016 12:29 PM
Sep 3, 2016 1:01 PM

Feb 2015
"The worst reunion by chance"

hell yeah. that was the worst indeed. in addition "by chance"
overall, it was a pretty intense episode imo. seriously, what the hell did she do to tsukumi. or maybe that's her real personality ?! And when Komaeda and Hinata finally met each other, shit got intense lol xD more over it's a reunion for Chiaki. seriously, i wonder what will happen to her. there is no way they will let her go. moreover the teacher is coming too. the despair is very close.

looking foward to the next episode!!! xD
Sep 3, 2016 5:21 PM

Sep 2011
chiaki probably dies next episode or gets brainwashed

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 3, 2016 10:08 PM

May 2016
The Nurse was the first in the class to fall to Despair...her titties and masochistic personality could've made me make a puddle of drool if I didn't keep gulping it down.

Not answering his calls and no special mention? The Boxer's that deep down in the 3rd wheel.

Luck being the good guy in this episode; what a surprise. Albeit his stepping stone philosophy might've influenced Council President later on.

Times of trouble befall the Gamer. After waiting for so long, she finally met up with "Hope" in the worst situation possible.

Sep 4, 2016 1:53 AM

Jan 2015
Not sure about Komaeda´s memory condition, but I noticed something in Zetsubou-hen about him.

He might have Synesthesia

In episode 2, when Nanami is chosen to be class rep, he mentions that with her lead, the class and its light will never end.

In episode 4 he makes again a "light" reference. He wanted Yukizome to postpone the exam, to give the class some time to recover and be at their best (Kuzuryu´s sister and Sato were killed not too long ago). By being at their best, he would be able to see "the moment when all their talents shine most brightly".

Can´t remember if he mentions it in the other episodes, but in this episode 8, he is able to sense Izuru behind him and when he turns around the whole room is filled with a bright opalescent light. Those different brushes of colors that float around might represent an ability or talent.

So, in short, Komaeda can literally see a talent shine.
Sep 4, 2016 4:39 PM

Feb 2012
Dreams_of_Neko said:
Not sure about Komaeda´s memory condition, but I noticed something in Zetsubou-hen about him.

He might have Synesthesia

In episode 2, when Nanami is chosen to be class rep, he mentions that with her lead, the class and its light will never end.

In episode 4 he makes again a "light" reference. He wanted Yukizome to postpone the exam, to give the class some time to recover and be at their best (Kuzuryu´s sister and Sato were killed not too long ago). By being at their best, he would be able to see "the moment when all their talents shine most brightly".

Can´t remember if he mentions it in the other episodes, but in this episode 8, he is able to sense Izuru behind him and when he turns around the whole room is filled with a bright opalescent light. Those different brushes of colors that float around might represent an ability or talent.

So, in short, Komaeda can literally see a talent shine.

Intresting hypothesis. One that i can believe. But seriously for Komaeda. Everything feel weirdly believeable.
i wish and dream for the Future where everyone i care can Smile happily from their heart. But no matter where i look. how ever i see... there s no me. im not there. Just like that.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Sep 4, 2016 7:02 PM
Jul 2016
TanoX_93 said:

Seems like I was partially right about Mitarai. Junko wanted to use him to spread a despair-inducting message, but he hasn't fall to despair, thankfully. This means the chances of him being a traitor in Mirai-hen gets very low.

SO, I THINK EXACTLY THE SAME THING! I hope he isn't the traitor in Mirai-hen ><
Sep 4, 2016 7:06 PM
Jul 2016
So, I'm a newbie at Danganronpa's series, if someone kindly tell me the order I should follow to read the mangás, I would be super glad.

A friend of mine recommend for me "Danganronpa: The animation" and I've fell in love with the series and right now I'm playing the first game :) I'm so hyped to finish it!!! Someone knows if there is a sub forum to talk about Danganronpa?

Sorry for my bad english :(, I'm wheezy with my practice and a newbie to MAL
Sep 4, 2016 8:03 PM

May 2016
Fragilespin3 said:
So, I'm a newbie at Danganronpa's series, if someone kindly tell me the order I should follow to read the mangás, I would be super glad.

A friend of mine recommend for me "Danganronpa: The animation" and I've fell in love with the series and right now I'm playing the first game :) I'm so hyped to finish it!!! Someone knows if there is a sub forum to talk about Danganronpa?

You're pretty much on the right track...

Finish the first game, than go to the second one, than go to Another Episode: Despair Girls...

After playing all of them in that order you can try reading the LN Danganronpa 0, but that one is not a must to understand the DR3 animes yet...
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Sep 4, 2016 8:05 PM

Feb 2013
Fragilespin3 said:

After you finish the first game you have to play Danganronpa 2.
The mangas are just shitty adaptations of the games,so they aren't importamt.

Ps: There is also DR another Episode but that isn't really important to see DR3, So just play it if you want more about the franchise.
Sep 5, 2016 12:12 AM

Sep 2012
Pride- said:
Fragilespin3 said:

After you finish the first game you have to play Danganronpa 2.
The mangas are just shitty adaptations of the games,so they aren't importamt.

Ps: There is also DR another Episode but that isn't really important to see DR3, So just play it if you want more about the franchise.

I feel like DR another episode is quite important. You pretty much spoil the game hard if you were to watch the anime and you wouldn't understand a lot of the story behind the DR:AE episode and what exactly happened.
Sep 5, 2016 3:16 AM

Oct 2015
so komaeda wasn't shot but is still acting like he is about to die, tragic..
Sep 8, 2016 12:55 AM
Jan 2013
This is really pushing the Chiaki x Hinata , so at least Nanami would take an important role with Izuru , also I dont think she is going to die , she needs to reunite with him at the end
Sep 10, 2016 5:53 AM

Jun 2013
My stupid brain is too strong to understand something that was probably explained several times in the game and in this series altogether. Why did Junko Enoshima start this "spreading despair in the world" thing of hers? Was she the sole instigator or did some organization sent her? I find it hard to believe one high school girl started this all and that all of her followers were dumb enough to fall for it. Is she supposed to be Hitler in a way because she's definitely no Hitler. She doesn't have his authoritative presence or anything of the sort.

Now that I think of it, a lot of the things in this series seem so randomly put together. Why would someone want to spread despair? Hitler thought the Aryan race was superior. I am in no way supporting Hitler nor am I sympathizing with him but he had a goal, what is Enoshima's goal? What's the point of spreading despair in the world? After everyone is in despair, what happens then? I remember in the game
and none of these made sense to me. I think the creators were trying to add shock value by being audacious but some of those 'tributes' seemed pretty fucking stupid and pointless to me.

Then again, I'm probably just looking into it for no reason. I don't take this seriously and don't think it's a serious series at all. I just want to see who's the traitor and see them slaughtered.
臭い-
Sep 11, 2016 9:20 AM

Apr 2014
Bibimbapski said:
My stupid brain is too strong to understand something that was probably explained several times in the game and in this series altogether. Why did Junko Enoshima start this "spreading despair in the world" thing of hers? Was she the sole instigator or did some organization sent her? I find it hard to believe one high school girl started this all and that all of her followers were dumb enough to fall for it. Is she supposed to be Hitler in a way because she's definitely no Hitler. She doesn't have his authoritative presence or anything of the sort.

Now that I think of it, a lot of the things in this series seem so randomly put together. Why would someone want to spread despair? Hitler thought the Aryan race was superior. I am in no way supporting Hitler nor am I sympathizing with him but he had a goal, what is Enoshima's goal? What's the point of spreading despair in the world? After everyone is in despair, what happens then? I remember in the game
and none of these made sense to me. I think the creators were trying to add shock value by being audacious but some of those 'tributes' seemed pretty fucking stupid and pointless to me.

Then again, I'm probably just looking into it for no reason. I don't take this seriously and don't think it's a serious series at all. I just want to see who's the traitor and see them slaughtered.

Because she's the Ultimate Analyst/Despair and finds everything boring because she can predict everything that's going to happen.

Despair isn't predictable therefore she finds enjoyment in it. Not being able to predict something is extreme pleasure to her, therefore she loves despair and just wants cause despair. She's not some evil maniac that wants to be evil just for the sake of it. She's doing it because it's the only entertainment for her, so to speak. Everything in the world is boring to her.

I suppose you should watch episode 9 of Despair to get one of many reasons (probably) on why she has followers. Everyone was manipulated in some way.

Danganronpa has always been over the top so yeah, I can see why you find it hard to believe that she pulled it off. The ultimate abilities in itself is over the top and I'd find it hard to believe with almost all of them, but it's just the way that world works I suppose.

Assuming you played DR2 too here's more or less a (hopefully) plausible explanation to help you understand (while still being over the top):

A world running on hope > a girl gets the student council killed in the most prolific HOPE school in the world > people find despair in it > reserve course gets told everything > they find despair in it, pointless money for a promised talent that's never going to happen > Junko takes advantage of everyone feeling hopeless > Junko takes control of Izuru (The Ultimate Hope, with every single talent) to help him find pleasure in the boring world (Sort of manipulation) > Junko also using other tactics to persuade people in episode 9 > Junko makes the 77th class Ultimate Despairs to help her cause despair (We don't know how she did it yet though except for Mikan, but it's probably the thing in ep 9) > the reserve course commits mass suicide because of despair > biggest hope school gets closed down > more despair > riots, etc.

A chain of despair.
Oct 20, 2016 9:51 PM

Oct 2014
Shit, intense episode. Don't like Chiaki's odds of survival here. Gotta keep watching...
Nov 9, 2016 1:41 PM

May 2012
Pretty crazy episode again! Looking forward to see what's next.
Dec 24, 2016 2:57 AM

Mar 2015
I wonder how Tsumiki went crazy in time for this one
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Apr 21, 2017 2:04 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Lucky boy? Yes, is a lucky boy, but the other guy is Super-Lucky BOy!!!! xSD
Apr 25, 2017 10:18 AM

Feb 2015
- Huh, Mikan falling in love with Junko is sooner than I thought, I guess she really does like despair.

- RIP Chiaki, never liked you anyway since almost everything that comes out of your mouth in this anime is 'Hinata-kun'

- Peko vs Mukuro wasn't enough.

- This time Matsuda... is that all they are going to be? Cameos?
Jun 21, 2017 1:21 AM

Jan 2014
Nagito, you really should've shot that bitch when you had the chance. Oh and nice Matsuda cameo btw. It's a bit disappointing that we didn't get to see more of Mikan and how Junko managed to make her fall into despair, though: the whole thing felt kinda rushed. I'm not complaining too much though, cause so far Zetsubou hen has been a lot more entertaining than Mirai hen.

kawaii-despair said:
BubblyHunter said:

Komaeda looked like he feel in love with Izuru near the end, so does that mean that the ending theme is really dedicated to him???

That's exactly it
It's a bit irritating because it basically shits on chapter 0 of SDR2 (which was supposed to be the first time Izuru and Nagito ever met), but that new encounter was pretty nice regardless. Looks like Nagito is bound to fall in love with Hajime/Izuru no matter the circumstances. Never realized the ending theme was sung by his seiyuu either; now everything makes sense!

I fucking ship it.

PS: Oh boi, she recognized Hajime!
SapewlothJun 21, 2017 1:26 AM
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Sep 29, 2017 9:31 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
FANTASTICC EPISODE !
張大です for 張大勇督察
Jan 1, 2018 12:10 AM

Dec 2012

Great episode...aside from Mikan getting kicked.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Mar 8, 2018 4:35 PM

Oct 2016
Yasuke Matsuda appears for a brief moment ! Omg, Komaeda, Junko, Nanami, Kamukura, all in the same place!! This was an excellent episode.
Mar 5, 2019 7:46 PM

Sep 2011
That luck hability is really OP. It's almost supernatural.

I hope that Chiaki don't die, but I feel that this will happen.
Mar 6, 2019 9:06 AM

Jun 2017
Finished the eighth Despair Arc episode

-and from the very beginning of the episode it is obvious that mikan is already gone XD. and she is far better(and far HOTTER) gone than she ever was before XD. I quite like how she wasnt hypnotised,but rather manipulated and broken by Junko. same goes for Nagito,although he didnt need much manipulation XD. hope the rest will be like that too :)

-Mitarai suspected Junko,but how he pretty much s*** his pants when he learned the truth was hilarious XD

-seems like Junko also made custom puzzles. guess the ultimate puzzle maker is also a ROD >_>. also,having the pictures on the ground with all the faces missing was a pretty nice touch :).

-ZV Test=Zetsubo Video Test

-pretty sure what mikan said was either "secret" or "despair".

-so that is the parade event i kept hearing of. i wonder if the Oddities are involved XD

-love how mukuro randomly jumped into the scene to set the projector and hand the remote then jumped out again. that was hilarious lol.

-The Junko-Mikan scenes feel like the hot S&M video that i never knew i wanted XD. why isnt there a Danganronpa hentai? XD

-seems like Ryota doesnt value his classmates that much considering that he decided to run after being warned. then again,it isnt like he ever interacted with them so i guess it makes sense. weird that Junko allowed him to escape though,but i guess she had bigger things on her mind at that time.

-so Nagito pretty much swam all the way back? XD. His "Who?" line on Saionji was pretty funny too XD.

-ultimate imposter was so worried that he forgot his mitarai voice for a second there. poor guy :(

-so Nagito pretty much knows everything already. my guess is that he stumbled upon the secret alone due to his luck,hid and watched and figured out the situation,then came back and did what we saw this episode. the part i dont get though is why didnt he suggest they all stick together? that way they all would have entered. but i guess that would have been a little suspicious and some might have tried to stop him when he pulled the gun. speaking of which,we still dont know where Mikan is,so they might actually find her.

-this is weird. if they met before,how come nagito said he never met him in DR2? is this a plothole?

-so she recognized him. what a hook for next episode.

overall,this was yet another very good despair episode :)
Jul 16, 2019 2:05 AM

Oct 2017
Meet Komaeda ,Junko and Kamukura was really exictement.
Oct 24, 2019 2:14 PM

Jun 2019
Wow, what an episode! This was really exciting.

Mikan is totally best girl!

I wonder how Nagito found out about what's going on. That scene with him, Junko, and Hajime was great. I hope Chiaki's going to be okay.
Jun 7, 2020 2:43 PM

Jun 2016
I’ve wanted to mention this for a while and this is the perfect episode to do so. I wish the fanservice was more balanced between Future and Despair arcs. I love the fanservice in Danganronpa and the scene with Mikan this episode was perverse in all the right ways. We had the shy shota weeb surrounded by three hot girls as one tried to seduce him and had an orgasm over being beaten by her queen Junko and the tomboy closed in. Like, that’s amazing, it kept going further and further and that level of perversity, whether its explicit like Mikan’s spread eagle; or implicit like Hina’s massive melons or Owari's thighs on Hajime's neck, are only amplified by the murder aspect in my opinion. Mix murder, sex, and betrayal in an enclosed space and you get something very perverse and unique. Yet, 90% of the fanservice is happening in the Despair arc which, has murder, but murder isn’t the centerpiece unlike the Future arc and that’s just a missed opportunity in my opinion.

Since I’m already typing, I straight up did a Tidus laugh when Komaeda pulled a gun on Junko. That was hysterical, I love and hate Komaeda. He physically makes me cringe with his mannerisms and language and thought process at times, and I despise him when he’s being a nuisance and getting in the way of the main cast. But when he’s on their side he’s insane and unstoppable. In those moments he’s such a relief and you can always rely on him to go crazy, be it for good or for bad. And generally, I personally feel the way the characters feel regarding him, be it receiving him well or poorly, which you could say is brilliant writing.
Nov 29, 2020 10:33 PM

Aug 2020
Goddamnit Nagito why didn't you just shoot Enoshima right then and there. That really pissed me off but it was no surprise considering we already knew the outcome. I also don't understand how Enoshima's brainwashing works.. I feel like Mikan is really easily influenced but since we know they all become despairs I guess we'll find out eventually...

Dec 26, 2020 5:02 AM

Aug 2020
Anyone else simp for Mitarai? ;)

So Junko made Mikan act that way??? Ohhh that makes more sense now; I got angry when she admitted to killing Ibuki and Hiyoko since she changed her personality completely and it didn't fit with the story, but it kinda does fit now it's revealed that that's not how she really acts.
Feb 23, 2023 2:04 AM
Jul 2015
Komaedo is so clever so hes Hope Mastermind too bad he didnt tell to other teacher same goes to dumb Ultimate Homemaker

Which lead to everyone dying and succumb to Despair team such as Izuru Mikan(class rep Teacher) & Animator guy

So clever at calling Samurai Sword Girl to defeat Soldier Girl 😭😭😭 i love strong megane woman

Other classmates too oblivious over the death being planned also

The school also stupid for deleting Izuru Memories end up he joined evil bcs he find the world boring since he already has all

Now Komaeda fell to Despair team bcs Izuru having Lucky talent first time he got defeated 💀💎

The way Mikan loves getting beat just like Mukuro Soldier & Nurse fell under our Diva Analyst spell
Apr 9, 2023 12:30 PM

Nov 2010
What the hell is Mitarai doing? There's delicious meat in the form of Tsumiki in front of him, and all he thinks about is that lame-ass video of people killing each other. If I were him, I'd do sexy time with Tsumiki instead. Forget everything else!
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» *spoilers* Why do people not like this season?

kakashis_sidehoe - Mar 26, 2023

33 by Kiryotsu »»
Jan 5, 10:53 PM

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Zetsubou-hen Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2016

526 by Salty_Cookie »»
Jan 4, 9:44 PM

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Zetsubou-hen Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 25, 2016

242 by Nanashi »»
Jan 3, 7:09 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Zetsubou-hen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2016

255 by KSkillmyself »»
Dec 7, 2023 11:29 PM

» Small criticism about some aspects and a specific character

Bard_Eren - May 20, 2023

11 by GreatSoldier34 »»
May 20, 2023 4:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.