Forum Settings
Forums

Put more effort into preventing repeat threads

New
Aug 31, 2016 2:38 AM

May 2008
So as a regular user of MAL's forums, I've noticed that every so often the same few threads will get started again and again. "Do girls like ecchi?", "What's your favourite _____?", "Why do you hate _____?", "What do you think of the sexualisation of girls in anime?" and "Why do you illegally stream anime?" are amongst some of the ones that come to mind.

It gets really repetitive and annoying. The minimum character count clearly wasn't the problem with the quality on here.

I think more should be done to stop these repeat threads. Maybe have mega-threads and keep merging the same (or similar) discussions into one thread to make things neater. I'm tired of seeing the same discussions over and over that go nowhere.
Aug 31, 2016 3:42 AM

Dec 2015
Yeah I also noticed that but I honestly dont pay attention to it and so should you :p
It will only your brain hurt more :p
Aug 31, 2016 6:06 AM

Feb 2015
I think new threads are healthy because people are more likely to read through the latest replies and comment on the recent posts, which in turn makes it easier for a thread to turn into a discussion (not that those happen often anyway, because most threads are too silly to shallow, lol).
With old threads, people are more likely to read the first view posts, then hit last page and add their thoughts on the subject and leave it at that. Or reply on some comment made 3 years ago by a user who isn't active anymore.
Aug 31, 2016 6:16 AM

Feb 2014
It`s good to develop some connection with the community and creating threads that interest you will advance this process by a lot. I was actually really happy to get a lot of replies on my first thread even though it was already done before, but you cannot expect a newcomer to "predict" this.

What annoyed me were all these cynical old farts on MAL that posted how repetitive and lame my thread was in a single sentence that even a person with Huntington`s disease could write.
Why even post in the first place when a moderator will remove it eventually.
Aug 31, 2016 11:20 PM

Feb 2015
Idiots_on_MAL said:
What annoyed me were all these cynical old farts on MAL that posted how repetitive and lame my thread was in a single sentence that even a person with Huntington`s disease could write.
Why even post in the first place when a moderator will remove it eventually.

It happens every time. People complain how the same threads appear over and over again, instead of just ignoring it or adding something new to the discussion.
Sep 1, 2016 2:26 AM

Dec 2015
They should at least have read the FAQ/stickied thread that lists the most suggested things that already got rejected. Since a lot of people don't read such threads ... the only way to get attention for such threads (and to make more people use the search function) would be:

Make a box with red backgound where it says "I confirm that I have read the FAQ and used the search function" + links to search and FAQ and he needs to mark a checkbox.

Only for new threads (1st post) and only in this forum. Could also be used in other forums. Maybe against listing threads ... with different text/explanation. Since it was onyl for the 1st post of a thread (new thread) it wouln't mean too much inconvenience.
Sep 1, 2016 7:34 AM

Feb 2010
Is it really worth the effort to constantly merge threads when it's guaranteed that people won't learn and stop making duplicate threads? I don't see the difference as long as only one of those threads is on the front page. It takes the same amount of space if it's an old or a new thread. Also the community has this strange tendency to bash repeat threads but also bash people who 'necro' an old thread because they want to talk about that topic. There is no way people will NOT complain in my experience.

At the end of the day the quality you mentioned has nothing to do with whether you have two threads with 20 posts each or 1 thread with 40 posts about the same topic. It only depends on the quality of the individual posts in both cases. Which I do believe has increased since the character limit was introduced.

You can always try to become a forum moderator yourself and bring the changes you want tho ;).
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 4, 2016 9:10 PM

Jun 2014
I think you need to understand at the very least that forum moderators can't do it all. I personally don't see any issue with repeat threads as long as it brings new life into a past topic.

I also feel that members need be a leader in a situation like this. If you want more quality discussions, start them. Be a leader and be a star. Like @Pullman said - You can also try applying one day for the position? You'll learn its not as easy as you make it sound, but you will also have a chance to voice your concern more.
Sep 4, 2016 9:35 PM
Jul 2018
For me I guess I'm fine with repetitive threads as long as for instance, its not overused as hell.

For example, the one thread I've seen the most and overused is one thread about "Bashing other people's opinions". I mean it's fine to discuss it but as you can see, there's a lot of discussion of that many times. I guess I wouldn't mind it as long as it doesn't go to that extent.
Sep 4, 2016 11:55 PM

Nov 2014
Idk about casual discussuon, but repeated topics in recommendation forum, even if exactly same question is still on 1st page, killed my interest in answering them. I mean, how many times am I supposed to check someone's list and then list missing "op mc" anime, if they could just check one or two previous topics and have ALL anime with that criteria listed?
Sep 4, 2016 11:59 PM

Jun 2014
Terkhev said:
Idk about casual discussuon, but repeated topics in recommendation forum, even if exactly same question is still on 1st page, killed my interest in answering them. I mean, how many times am I supposed to check someone's list and then list missing "op mc" anime, if they could just check one or two previous topics and have ALL anime with that criteria listed?

In that situation link them to the thread with the answer already provided. That way they get their answer and learn to check the forum to see if their question was answered before making a thread.

More topics from this board

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
7 hours ago

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Yesterday, 11:11 AM

» Preview for "About Me" section

NubFix - Mar 24, 2022

5 by NubFix »»
Apr 16, 10:16 PM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

4 by mur_koshka »»
Apr 16, 1:44 AM

» Users who haven't finished an anime should be restricted on rating it

Thruddingsfly - Feb 15

39 by 3miL »»
Apr 14, 11:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.