Forum Settings
Forums

anyone wish video games were still a thing for nerds and social outcasts?

New
Aug 30, 2016 6:48 PM
Mar 2016
I get the feeling if it wasn't so popular we wouldn't have so many Call of Duties and other triple A titles with unlimited sequels

back when it was for nerds and weirdos they made more intelligent games, I think, and the Japanese game industry was still #1 because of it

I look at the Western games I bought from this decade, and there's some good ones, don't get me wrong, but they don't have much replayability. I don't care enough to play them again after I beat them. my old Japanese game collection on the other hand, I replay them a lot
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 30, 2016 7:10 PM

Apr 2016
Around when did they start being made for popular people? The first call of duties were more fun than the modern ones (the ones for ps2) but idk, were those made for the nerds?
Aug 30, 2016 7:22 PM

Jan 2013
No. Ignore the shitty games. It's not like the fake people were fueling the good projects in the past, so their presence makes no difference now.
Aug 30, 2016 7:25 PM

Dec 2012
I hate current gaming culture so sure.
Aug 30, 2016 7:46 PM

May 2010
Yeah I wish all the hippies and cool guys didn't play Hyperdimension Neptunia so that I could have a separate world from them.
Aug 30, 2016 8:22 PM

Apr 2016
Goofs said:
UnpopularAnime said:
Around when did they start being made for popular people? The first call of duties were more fun than the modern ones (the ones for ps2) but idk, were those made for the nerds?
it's hard to pin down a specific date, it was more of a gradual process. at first, the mainstream people just had arcade games and not that many people had home consoles, and even into the mid 2000s video games were for nerds and weren't that common, it was still seen as a thing for kids or nerds. I think it was around when the first Call of Duty Modern Warfare came out is when gaming became cool and mainstream, the old WW2 Call of Duties weren't really that big. I really liked the WW2 Call of Duties too btw

Yea well then I completely agree. A little after the ps3 came out, all the games started feeling cheap. 2 good ones on the ps3 were warhawk and little big planet. Games seemed to be better on the ps2. Like they put more effort into making the game fun.
Now it seems like all the effort is put into making the game sell. The Witcher 3 is a really good game. I feel like it has the effort of a ps2 game, with the graphics of a 2016 game.

And those old call of duties felt like battlefield 1942 in multiplayer, much more fun than the modern ones. Which ones have you played? I got a pack of 2 cod games, one was "The big red one" and I think the other was "The finest hour".

But did the companies start making games for popular people, or did gamers meet other gamers, and become popular among other gamers? So did the company change, or did the gamers change?
Aug 31, 2016 12:00 AM

Aug 2016
Having the mainstream audience enjoy video games hasn't effected me negatively too much. I like big budget AAA games like Uncharted and the Last of Us. There's also more indie developers than ever before.

Now when developers take an existing franchise and change it so it caters to a more mainstream appeal; that's when I get salty about it. A good example would be Resident Evil. Capcom absolutely butchered it.

There's a special glow towards the older days of gaming but I think part of that is just nostaliga.
Aug 31, 2016 12:29 AM

Feb 2011
No because I wouldn't make money lol

Honestly, more people interested in games makes the amount of games that can come out and be profitable enough for people to keep making them is good for everyone. It's only harder to find what exactly you are looking for because there are so many more games now, so you have to get more specific in your searches. Luckily, Steam has improved by leagues and miles and you can easily find stuff via Google. Whether it's RTS games on PC, local coop games on PS4, action adventure games on XBONE, party games on Wii U, RPGs on 3DS or monster-catching games on mobile.

If video games were only for "nerds and social outcasts", PlayStation would've never been popular. Really, when were games actually only for nerds and social outcasts? In the 70s and early 80s arcades were super popular. In the 80s it was seen mainly as a thing for kids, due to the NES being marketed as a toy instead of as a game console. In the 90s the PlayStation was SUPER popular to the point that everybody in America and Japan and much of Western Europe had one or knew someone who did, followed by similar success of the PlayStation 2 in 2000. GameBoys were widespread as fuck. The DS even moreso. The Wii made motion games popular and it primarily stuck with people not traditionally seen as "gamers", like your mom and dad and the elderly. Mobile gaming is something almost everybody does at one point.

Really, the only brief window I can see where it might've actually been just for nerds and outcasts rather than just being perceived as such (even by people who play games, on either side of the argument) would be during the console war between SNES and Sega Genesis/MegaDrive. Kids who played NES had grown up and either grown out of gaming (because that's for kids and losers) or stuck with it and entrenched on either side of the console war.

Much of this sentiment expressed in the title is just nostalgia, feeling like everything used to be better because they just remember the good things. But for every Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Orange Box, there's a Kane & Lynch: Dead Men, Empire Earth III or Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. And that's just 2007. Remember Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is shit. But if we pump enough money into it and there's a thriving video game industry, they will find more skilled people to work in it and create both more and better things. And then things will at least be a little bit less shit. You can have your cake and eat it too.
Aug 31, 2016 5:13 AM

Oct 2015
Nah I think the increasingly popularity of gaming has made multiplayer a much more viable thing and I like to get addicted to multiplayer games. :3

Although I can certainly understand the sentiment, I want to ignite myself whenever I see shit like this:
Aug 31, 2016 5:15 AM
Jan 2016
morpholomew said:
No because I wouldn't make money lol

Honestly, more people interested in games makes the amount of games that can come out and be profitable enough for people to keep making them is good for everyone.

THIS. Okay, so you might not consider mobile gamers to be "real gamers", or might resent that the people who used to mock you for playing Pokemon are now fawning over Pokemon Go, but the more popular gaming is, the money there is. And pumping money into the industry should hopefully mean that the quality of games, and the selection of games available, improves for everyone.
Aug 31, 2016 5:21 AM
Jul 2018
Ikr? So many people playing CoD and Minecraft. Sometimes I feel like the only one who still plays Ultima IV, Dungeon Keeper, etc. Good old games. But with so many casuals, it's all Call of Duty...
Aug 31, 2016 5:33 AM

Feb 2015
No.

character limit character limit.
Aug 31, 2016 6:07 AM

Mar 2016
No
Aug 31, 2016 6:28 AM

Feb 2015
Lord_Sithis said:
Ikr? So many people playing CoD and Minecraft. Sometimes I feel like the only one who still plays Ultima IV, Dungeon Keeper, etc. Good old games. But with so many casuals, it's all Call of Duty...

I play Minecraft. I also still play games that were made years before you were even born. The fact someone likes and plays Minecraft doesn't mean a thing.
Aug 31, 2016 6:45 AM
Jul 2018
Milennin said:
Lord_Sithis said:

I play Minecraft. I also still play games that were made years before you were even born. The fact someone likes and plays Minecraft doesn't mean a thing.
I play Minecraft too. But nowadays everone plays those games. Gaming is no more a nerd thing, it's something common. Minecraft is just an example.
Aug 31, 2016 7:10 AM

Nov 2008
Import gaming was badass and underground back in the day especially around 1990-2000.

Aug 31, 2016 7:24 AM

Jan 2013
Games still had an attraction for normalfags back then though

Don't you remember arcades?
Aug 31, 2016 7:48 AM

Aug 2014
There are still fuck tons of games just for nerds and you're generalizing quite a lot of with that post.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Aug 31, 2016 8:07 AM

Oct 2015
95PercentCaim said:
Games still had an attraction for normalfags back then though

Don't you remember arcades?

Exactly. For each "nerd" in the arcades there were 20 10-yea olds credit feeding random games and shouting everywhere.
Aug 31, 2016 8:20 AM

Mar 2014
op is a retard. Call of duty is now an "old" series. Those old jap games were one of the reasons gaming went mainstream.

COD was yearly before this decade and generation.
Aug 31, 2016 9:35 AM

Jan 2015
just as many dumb, bad, etc. games no matter which decade you look at, it's easy to only remember the good ones while ignoring the mountains of garbage that they were sitting on top of

also kinda ignoring the japanese games with unlimited sequels such as mario, zelda, final fantasy, etc.
amathyAug 31, 2016 9:45 AM
Aug 31, 2016 11:42 AM

Jan 2015
there's really not that big of a difference between who's playing pokemon go and who was playing pokemon when it originally blew up

anyone that had a gameboy was playing pokemon and everyone and their mother had pokemon trading cards with awful vhs documentaries popping up all over the place

Aug 31, 2016 1:34 PM

May 2010
amathy said:
there's really not that big of a difference between who's playing pokemon go and who was playing pokemon when it originally blew up

There's a huge difference.

I spotted a 60+ year old lady bragging about what she had caught to her friends who also played.
Aug 31, 2016 1:50 PM

Jan 2013
YayaChibi said:
Syrup- said:
No. Ignore the shitty games. It's not like the fake people were fueling the good projects in the past, so their presence makes no difference now.

Lel....wtf happened to the cod series then? Or Pokemon Go? the frozen forest memories are kicking in......oh gosh....lol
Are you implying those are good projects? Those people are completely irrelevant to the games that I like to buy.
Aug 31, 2016 1:53 PM

Jan 2015
Thrashinuva said:

I spotted a 60+ year old lady bragging about what she had caught to her friends who also played.

and there were a ton of grandparents who were eating up pokemon merchandise in the 90s too
whenever anything is mainstream you're going to see roughly the same crowds
Aug 31, 2016 5:08 PM

May 2010
amathy said:
Thrashinuva said:

and there were a ton of grandparents who were eating up pokemon merchandise in the 90s too
whenever anything is mainstream you're going to see roughly the same crowds

People weren't talking about what they had caught on their gameboys any time they went grocery shopping.
Aug 31, 2016 5:11 PM

Jun 2011
Yeah, normalfags ruin everything.
Aug 31, 2016 5:58 PM

Jan 2015
Thrashinuva said:
People weren't talking about what they had caught on their gameboys any time they went grocery shopping.

...yeah, they were lol
pokemon was one of the biggest fads of the 90s, everyone was either playing the games or collecting the cards and people were talking about it everywhere
and you saw the same amount of nonsensical headlines 18 years ago as what we saw last month with people committing armed robbery for pokemon cards, schools & churches condemning pokemon, countries placing bans on anything pokemon, etc.
Aug 31, 2016 6:01 PM

May 2010
amathy said:
Thrashinuva said:

...yeah, they were lol
pokemon was one of the biggest fads of the 90s, everyone was either playing the games or collecting the cards and people were talking about it everywhere
and you saw the same amount of nonsensical headlines 18 years ago as what we saw last month with people committing armed robbery for pokemon cards, schools & churches condemning pokemon, countries placing bans on anything pokemon, etc.

I'm not denying that Pokemon didn't become a fad back then, but to say that it was the same as it is now isn't correct. Pokemon Go has reached a larger audience.
Aug 31, 2016 6:10 PM

Jan 2013
amathy said:
Thrashinuva said:

...yeah, they were lol
I'm gonna have to disagree as well, Pokemon Go for the first 2 weeks it came out became a worldwide phenomenon that everyone knew about. The original gameboy games were very popular...for kids/young adults. How are you gonna lie and say grandparents were hooked on the original games?
Aug 31, 2016 6:40 PM
Jul 2018
Not really.

What matters the most that I enjoy them and I am rather happy about not being treated like a freak.
Aug 31, 2016 6:49 PM

Jan 2015
Thrashinuva said:
I'm not denying that Pokemon didn't become a fad back then, but to say that it was the same as it is now isn't correct. Pokemon Go has reached a larger audience.

i'm not really saying that it hasn't and that's not my point but maybe i'm just not being clear? idk
pokemon was not a nerdy thing back in the 90s - you had parents, grandparents, college kids, just tons of people from every demographic participating
all the cool kids that people complain about only being interested in pokemon go because it's popular are the same cool kids they would have complained about 20 years ago for only being interested in pokemon because it's popular
also much more easy for people to participate when the barrier for entry is essentially $0

Major123 said:
I'm gonna have to disagree as well, Pokemon Go for the first 2 weeks it came out became a worldwide phenomenon that everyone knew about. The original gameboy games were very popular...for kids/young adults. How are you gonna lie and say grandparents were hooked on the original games?

did you even read what i posted or
Aug 31, 2016 7:00 PM

Jan 2013
Thrashinuva said:
lol thrash you couldn't possibly be more wrong.
Aug 31, 2016 7:52 PM

Oct 2014
In some ways, no. I miss the old games and their complexity, Western or Japanese games but with gaming becoming more of a hobby for everyone, I think it's great that people stop treating us like weirdos.

Yeah, the gaming industry looks like it's heading for the pits now but at least, we don't have to deal with all the, "OMG, VIOLENT VIDEO GAMES ARE RUINING OUR CHILDREN'S MINDS!!!" We still do get that from time to time but more and more people think it's ridiculous because nowadays, people actually KNOW what they're talking about when it comes to games. Well, unless it's Fox News.

I get what you guys are going at. There's a reason why those modern games which use old-style graphics and gameplay are very popular. I love Divinity: Original Sin for doing just that.

Goofs said:

I look at the Western games I bought from this decade, and there's some good ones, don't get me wrong, but they don't have much replayability. I don't care enough to play them again after I beat them. my old Japanese game collection on the other hand, I replay them a lot

While the Japanese video game industry truly was no 1 and deservedly so, Western games weren't exactly slouches then. When the 90s was nearly over, there was Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment, just among two RPG experiences that will come to define the genre. Torment especially, had the greatest and most unique story in a video game.
Aug 31, 2016 8:21 PM

Jan 2014
@Blaze_ Check this cancer forum topic out, it's fucking gold.
Aug 31, 2016 8:49 PM
Jul 2018
Normals don't even like Call of Duty anymore lmao what's wrong with you people.
Thrashinuva said:

Dude it was HUGE back then, capital letters HUGE, GARGANTUAN HUGE, MONUMENTAL, MASSIVE, HUMONGOUS.
Aug 31, 2016 8:49 PM

May 2010
Syrup- said:
Thrashinuva said:
lol thrash you couldn't possibly be more wrong.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36868076
If any of these numbers are true then it has reached more people than the games. That would be the case, even though those numbers are pertaining to one region (the US), and we're talking world wide popularity here.

There are older people who don't play games that are simply downloading it for their kids to play. There are also older people who don't play games and have never played any kind of non-mobile game in their life before, who are playing Pokemon Go.

I'm not even mentioning that the world population has gone up since the 90's, but now I am since I thought about that just now.
Aug 31, 2016 8:54 PM

Jan 2015
Goofs said:
dude, you have a video of people going to comic book stores

you do realize anyone who went to a comic book store were also outcasts until recently? lmao smh just proving my point, all kids or nerds

damn you really missed the point
that video isn't supposed to be proving anything lol, it's just an example of one of the million terrible vhs videos that came out trying to capitalize on pokemons surge in popularity
if you actually don't think pokemon was mainstream in the 90s you're just an idiot idk
amathyAug 31, 2016 9:03 PM
Aug 31, 2016 9:26 PM
Jul 2018
AkagamiShanksu said:
Things were a little bit better quality wise because developers were allowed to be a little more ambitious and try different things. Now things feel more corporate and business rather than art. The industry is very much prioritizing money and wanting to make COD level sales. Practices are abused like DLC, etc. Series are being run into the ground and the original developers of the series we all love legit don't have any say so with the series they originally created. Etc.

Because gaming is more mainstream now, they want to appeal to the largest audience possible. So niche games and audiences get pushed aside.

But they'ee not completely gone. There's still inventive people out there, we are still getting really good games, sometimes it just might be hard to notice because of so much bullshit games or how AAA games are the most focused on, etc.

Personally I kinda miss old gaming culture a tiny bit. Things just felt different. Just more quality over quantity. But all we can do is just sit around and just wait for things to pop up that will take our interest, much like the current state of anime. There's always gems that will pop up. Always
People, stop the discussion. This post is the perfect explanation.
Aug 31, 2016 9:46 PM

Nov 2009
No. Larger market means more games . . .

As for the Japanese game industry, it is stuck 10-20 years in the past. I would literally cry if the best I had to look forward to was the next Mario Kart (oh that's right, Call of Duty isn't the only video game franchise that just makes a thousand sequels . . . In fact, Nintendo is basically a factory of sequels at this point).

Not too mention PC is the master race and I would be shocked if Japan was even aware that games could be run on a computer with how massive a hard-on they have for consoles.
Aug 31, 2016 11:11 PM

Jan 2015
Goofs said:
it was mainstream for kids, like Game Boys and shit lmao

were you a kid yourself during the 90s? because it wasn't even remotely just kids
Aug 31, 2016 11:26 PM

Apr 2015
It could be worse honestly. I mean at least it would seem like some companies are finally starting to get the message of aiming for small markets rather than try to reach for big audiences.
Aug 31, 2016 11:57 PM

Jan 2015
Goofs said:
I was in my teens. okay dude, I don't know where you live, but where I live, NO adults or even teens were into Pokemon, and there was no indication on TV or elsewhere that it did extend beyond kids

maybe that's not true for where you live, I dunno, but even when I drove to other places on road trips, no one knew what the hell Pokemon was except that their kids or the neighbor's kids were into it

probably just bad memory idk
Sep 1, 2016 12:05 AM

Jan 2015
Goofs said:
nah probably more likely that our regions just took the trend differently. stuff varied widely from place to place back then, some places even had mullets well into the 90s where other places had the latest frosted tips from TV

also possible ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sep 1, 2016 12:36 AM

Jan 2013
Pirating_Ninja said:
No. Larger market means more games . . .

As for the Japanese game industry, it is stuck 10-20 years in the past. I would literally cry if the best I had to look forward to was the next Mario Kart (oh that's right, Call of Duty isn't the only video game franchise that just makes a thousand sequels . . . In fact, Nintendo is basically a factory of sequels at this point).

Not too mention PC is the master race and I would be shocked if Japan was even aware that games could be run on a computer with how massive a hard-on they have for consoles.
Is this a joke post?

The dominating console of this generation is Sony's PS4, meanwhile the xbone is eating dust.

The most celebrated dev of this year is Hideo Kojima.

There's more positive talk going on about Breath of the Wild, Persona 5, and Death Stranding than there is with any upcoming western game this year.

Pokemon, once again, took the world by storm further allowing games to become a more mainstream medium.

Steam is literally evolving into a weeb platform, and at this rate, Jap games will overtake western games in quantity if we exclude the shovelware.
PeenusWeenusCaimSep 1, 2016 12:41 AM
Sep 1, 2016 1:36 AM
Jul 2018
I honestly hate how companies pander to the dude bro plebes for games that were never meant to appeal to them in the first place. EA literally killed Sim City because they think everything has to have online multiplayer. Not all games need that, especially sim and strategy games.

We get this nonsense because to many suits see that COD sells well and so they should copy it even if the game is a different genre.
Sep 1, 2016 2:25 AM

Aug 2014
@95PercentCaim there shouldn't really be any talk about death stranding, positive or not as the game is extremely early in development. Breath of the wild and p5 did have a lot of positive discussion but so did a lot of western games which is kinda to be expected from E3 as it is a western event. From actual critics though they did seem to mainly be enjoyed for the japanese games XD. The multitude of god of war rants were pretty funny.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Sep 1, 2016 3:56 PM

Oct 2012
Goofs said:
I get the feeling if it wasn't so popular we wouldn't have so many Call of Duties and other triple A titles with unlimited sequels

back when it was for nerds and weirdos they made more intelligent games, I think, and the Japanese game industry was still #1 because of it

Being popular isn't as much the issue, but the expectation that games have to target more demographics than they should, honestly is taking a toll on the gaming industry, little by little.

Atleast the Japanese game market still occasionally caters to the niche audience, but for most targeted games here, you have to rely on the volitile indie game scene. Most AAA games I've played in the last 5 years have been underwhelming.

Goofs said:
UnpopularAnime said:
it's hard to pin down a specific date, it was more of a gradual process. at first, the mainstream people just had arcade games and not that many people had home consoles, and even into the mid 2000s video games were for nerds and weren't that common, it was still seen as a thing for kids or nerds. I think it was around when the first Call of Duty Modern Warfare came out is when gaming became cool and mainstream, the old WW2 Call of Duties weren't really that big. I really liked the WW2 Call of Duties too btw

I'd say it started around the release of the 360/PS3/Wii era, So ~2008, and hit critical mass at around 2012. Ironically ~2012 was when most of the SJW shit started to slowly get out of hand.
FontSize72LOLSep 1, 2016 4:02 PM
Sep 1, 2016 6:17 PM

Mar 2010
Lord_Sithis said:
Milennin said:

I play Minecraft too. But nowadays everone plays those games. Gaming is no more a nerd thing, it's something common. Minecraft is just an example.

+1

I mean, it still is an incredible game. The fact that its playerbase is 80% 10 year old kids doesn't really change the fact that it's a really good and enjoyable game.
It's impressive how the general public opinion of Minecraft changed over the years.

Sep 1, 2016 6:42 PM
Jul 2018
null said:
Lord_Sithis said:

+1

I mean, it still is an incredible game. The fact that its playerbase is 80% 10 year old kids doesn't really change the fact that it's a really good and enjoyable game.
It's impressive how the general public opinion of Minecraft changed over the years.
Truth be told, Minecraft is the only infinite game that I've seen. The huge amount of mods, and even the possibilities in vanilla, is astonishing.
I don't like the fanbase argument. I play the game to enjoy myself. If I enjoy the game, I don't care about the fanbase being how it is. After having played TONS of great games, Undertale is still my favorite game. Supposedly the fanbase is cancerous, but I don't give a fuck. If you don't like the fanbase, ignore it. I still can't comprehend the thought process of people that say Undertale is a bad game using the argument: "The fanbase is cancerous".
Now, getting back to OP's question, games are no longer a "nerd" thing. Everybody plays Call of Duty, everybody plays Minecraft, everybody plays League of Legends, etc. People having fun is a good thing, but this has a negative impact on games, like getting stupid or getting stupidly easy.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Sega's Golden Axe video games series gets a cartoon adaptation

tchitchouan - Yesterday

2 by DesuMaiden »»
3 hours ago

» Out of all the Mario games which did you play the most recently

KiraraFan - Apr 9

25 by SnipeStrike »»
3 hours ago

» What videogame consoles do you own?

SnipeStrike - Yesterday

18 by FanofAction »»
3 hours ago

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

46 by Firwik_Howlo »»
5 hours ago

» favorite pokemon ( 1 2 )

Fang_Tooth - Jan 21, 2023

55 by Firwik_Howlo »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.