Forum Settings
Forums

What makes a Tsundere good, and what makes a Tsundere bad?

New
Aug 28, 2016 10:39 PM

Apr 2013
So If your like me your probably a little sick of all these shitty Tsunderes. However are all Tsunderes bad? I don't think so, there actually some lovable tsunderes. Mostly I think it comes down to how they are portrayed. For example Ikumi from Shokugeki no Souma could be classified as a Tsundere. Yet its done in a really cute, and lovable way. Where as Erina is just flat out annoying. I think alot of it has to do with bitchiness... Guys don't like girls that are condescending, rude, or perhaps even violent. However I feel like that can be forgiven if its funny enough. Sadly this is where alot of anime fails. Another reason a bitchy female character might be forgiven is if there is a good reason for why she acts the way she does.

Really I feel like it comes down to this simple truth. If a character is written well, and developed properly then it will be a good character regardless of whatever archetype she/he falls under. A cute design also goes a long way.

The design is another thing. Tsunderes quite often look alot alike.
They usually have long blonde, pink, or brown hair. I would say blonde probably wins it. You guys can probably think of at least 5 blonde tsunderes off the top of your head.

So let me know what you guys think makes a good tsundere, and what makes a bad tsundere.

also who is your favorite tsundere.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 28, 2016 10:46 PM

Mar 2016
Dere makes them good , tsun makes them annoying
Aug 28, 2016 11:04 PM

Jun 2016
Kyou Fujibayashi is the perfect tsundere

Back off fellas, she's mine

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Aug 28, 2016 11:05 PM

Aug 2016
What makes them bad is when tsuderes become clingy
Aug 28, 2016 11:08 PM

Dec 2015
Finally a good question.

I really enjoy (and im sure most ppl do) those tsunderes that get less bashful/mean as the story progresses. They show their dere side which looks extra cute coz u rarely see such behavior and its usually the opposite.
Sadly I havent seen such tsundeers that were very mean at first but then changed into a completely sweet & lovable character, so no more random screaming, hitting the guy in the face etc, but instead i want to see that tsun part erased completely or for the most part

Bad tsundeers are those that are always mean, regardless of whatever happens. I find those to be worse than aids

I really liked only 2 tsundeers so far, Victorique from Gosick & Tsumiki from Acchi Kocchi. To me, these 2 are tsundeers done right :3

Gonna tag my buddy @maz and see what he has to say
RobiiiiAug 28, 2016 11:12 PM
Aug 28, 2016 11:11 PM

May 2015
Tsunderes these days are meh. Some of them are likeable such as Kurisu & Rin, but none of them can beat Squidward :p
Aug 28, 2016 11:14 PM

Feb 2010
Misaka is a good tsundere
Louise is not a tsundere shes a sadist
taiga is not a tsundere closer to a deconstruction of a tusndere but no seriously people stop using her as a example for tsundere she does not fit.
Rin is a ok tsundere
but ya most tsunderes are annoying as fk
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Aug 28, 2016 11:19 PM

Jul 2014
Good tsunderes are the ones that don't abuse the guy. They are usually really prideful warriors that don't know anything on the subject of dating and get embrassed easy because of it.
I say a good one is Ikumi from Shokugeki no soma as she is really prideful in her work but gets embrassed easy because of Soma but she doesn't abuse Soma like some bitches would.
'Those who like space, can't be bad people'

Aug 28, 2016 11:22 PM

Mar 2016
I don't like those tsundere where they get softer towards the end
Aug 28, 2016 11:24 PM

Apr 2013
hazerddex said:

Louise is not a tsundere shes a sadist

Lol yeah I get the feeling that Familiar of Zero has a pretty big BDSM following.
I bet there is some freaky FoZ hentai out there somewhere.
Aug 28, 2016 11:28 PM

Feb 2013
There are no good tsunderes period. Tsundere is a shit troupe that only serve to satisfy masochists that likes getting pushed around by girls. Irl, Tsundere is literally what you call a bitch, no one in their right minds would want to marry a bitch that bullies you around.
Aug 28, 2016 11:30 PM
Jul 2018
Well Taiga from Toradora was fun to watch because she was connecting with the mc when she was in her dere and not-obsessed-with-Kitamura moments. But I honestly hate tsuns like Erina. She's just not fun to watch. No development.
Aug 28, 2016 11:31 PM

Dec 2015
I don't know, I would say Louise is definitely a tsundere, just a really shit one that is extremely violent and is a sadist. It definitely doesn't exclude her being a tsun just because she has high sadist tendencies. She's the worst tsundere I have ever seen with 0 redeeming qualities.

As someone said above, Misaka is an awesome tsundere, as well, as Makise Kurisu.
Aug 28, 2016 11:32 PM

Feb 2010
Cejara said:
I don't know, I would say Louise is definitely a tsundere, just a really shit one that is extremely violent and is a sadist. It definitely doesn't exclude her being a tsun just because she has high sadist tendencies. She's the worst tsundere I have ever seen with 0 redeeming qualities.

As someone said above, Misaka is an awesome tsundere, as well, as Makise Kurisu.

really? i though saito was just a Masochist so i was fine with her Sadist tendency i meen there was one scene were they both looked pretty in to it.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Aug 28, 2016 11:34 PM

Dec 2015
hazerddex said:
Cejara said:

really? i though saito was just a M so i was fine with her Sadist tendency i meen there was one scene were they both looked pretty in to it.

I don't seem to remember him enjoying it. I mean, he would always get beaten for no reason and always try to explain his way out of it before 2 seconds in he would get beat for an accidental boob grab or some stupid shit like that. Maybe there was one scene like you mentioned, I haven't seen it for a while, but she is definitely a tsundere I know that for sure, just a poorly written one that tons of people hate.
Aug 28, 2016 11:37 PM

May 2016
Seiryus said:

Simple answer, but sums it up all too well. In my opinion, if character is all tsun but show dere in the manga then I still wouldn't like them because I didn't read the manga and in the anime they were annoying. eg Erina from Shokugeki. (p.s. I love your profile pic, is it Setsuna?)
Another reason I kind of dislike Tsundere is because in a harem, the tsundere has 90% of winning if a girl even wins at all. Thus making them predictable and less fun because the tsundere is going to win no matter what even if the other girls are better.
TakenMalUsernameAug 28, 2016 11:47 PM
Aug 28, 2016 11:39 PM

Feb 2010
takenMalUsername said:
Seiryus said:

Simple answer, but sums it up all too well. In my opinion, if character is all tsun but show dere in the manga then I still wouldn't like them because I didn't read the manga and in the anime they were annoying. eg Erina from Shokugeki. (p.s. I love your profile pic, is it Setsuna?)
Another reason I kind of dislike Tsundere is because in a harem, the tsundere has 90% of winning if a girl even wins at all. Thus making them predictable and less fun because the tsundere is going to win no mater what even if the other girls are better.

unless theres a yandere in said harem the no one wins

Aug 28, 2016 11:41 PM
Apr 2015
It's easy to differentiate a good tsundere and a bad tsundere. Just follow this handy guide!

Differentiating between good and bad tsundere has never been this easy!
Aug 28, 2016 11:47 PM

Jul 2013
If they display their tsuntsun side without hurting anyone physically (like Rin Tohsaka or Kurisu) and have a very cute dere side later, they are good.

Now if their tsun side is petty, hurts people physically for the most stupid of the reasons and the likes then they are trash.
IllyricusAug 28, 2016 11:54 PM
Aug 28, 2016 11:50 PM

May 2016
Illyricus said:
If they display their tsuntsun side without hurting anyone physically (like Rin Tohsaka or Kurisu) and have a very cute dere side later, they are good.

Now if their tsun side is petty, hurts people physically for the most stupid of the reasons and the likesm then they are trash.

I would to see a tsundere beat a guy then recieve punishment. It is better meta comedy then, "You're a tsundere" "Yeah/What?"
Aug 28, 2016 11:54 PM

Dec 2015
Risara said:
It's easy to differentiate a good tsundere and a bad tsundere. Just follow this handy guide!

Was Stella even tsundere tho? I didnt even notice tbh
Infact this is the first time im hearing this lol
Aug 28, 2016 11:58 PM

Feb 2010
Risara said:

i recognize two of them but whos the girl on the bottum?

Aug 29, 2016 12:04 AM

May 2015
hazerddex said:
Risara said:

She's Stella from Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry. But srsly, how on earth Stella being a shitty waifu? She's very loyal af, and that's a good thing (I think)
Aug 29, 2016 12:06 AM

Jul 2013
takenMalUsername said:
Illyricus said:

Now if their tsun side is petty, hurts people physically for the most stupid of the reasons and the likesm then they are trash.

I would to see a tsundere beat a guy then recieve punishment. It is better meta comedy then, "You're a tsundere" "Yeah/What?"
That would be quite satisfying to see. I think I haven't see something like that ever, though.
Aug 29, 2016 12:07 AM

Feb 2010
Couranos said:
hazerddex said:

She's Stella from Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry. But srsly, how on earth Stella being a shitty waifu? She's very loyal af, and that's a good thing (I think)

oh her... WAIT PEOPLE THINK SHES TUSNDERE?!
i dont even.... guy walks in on girl naked girl attacks them and gets branded a tsundere.... i dont even...

Aug 29, 2016 12:07 AM

Apr 2013
Violence is basically what puts me off the most about tsundere. Worst example of this is Louse from Zero no Tsukaima, such an annoying little shit.
Rin would be a good example for an ok tsundere, she's more funny than annoying.
Not sure if Senjougahara counts as tsundere since she's more about making fun of the trope, but if she counts she would be the best kind of tsundere ^^
Aug 29, 2016 12:08 AM

May 2015
Illyricus said:
takenMalUsername said:

That would be quite satisfying to see. I think I haven't see something like that ever, though.
There have been showed back then, on Steins;Gate
Aug 29, 2016 12:22 AM

Jul 2013
Gator said:
Not sure if Senjougahara counts as tsundere since she's more about making fun of the trope, but if she counts she would be the best kind of tsundere ^^
Nope, Hitagi is not a tsundere, she just parody the trope, but apart of that, she doesn't has the characteristics the average tsundere has.

If you would classify her into a Dere type, she is closer to be a Kuudere.
IllyricusAug 29, 2016 12:25 AM
Aug 29, 2016 12:23 AM

Apr 2013
Illyricus said:
Gator said:
Nope, Hitagi is not a tsundere, she just parody the trope, but apart of that, she doesn't has the charasteristics the average tsundere has.

Yeah like I said I agree with you, she just acts like one because it's funny xD

I don't think though you canreally classify her as any dere type, she's way too odd for that :3
Aug 29, 2016 12:25 AM

Jul 2014
Hhmmm. I thought Louise was an ass at first but as the show progress I grew to like he more. Plus she actually had some reasons to be genuinely made at Saito.

Good Tsundere I guess make them have some sort of good side unlike Index.
Aug 29, 2016 12:29 AM

Feb 2015
I dislike violent tsunderes. I guess what makes a good tsundere if they're not too heavily pushed into either direction (although their violent direction is worse), so more something of a middle ground and their tsundere quality isn't too extreme or, like, the only defining feature of their personality.
Aug 29, 2016 12:39 AM

Apr 2016
Tsundere is one of the most seen archetypes in anime. For me the key thing that separates the good tsundere from the bad one is is there anything more to the character besides being tsundere, or what's the reason that a character is behaving that certain way. Also the way they are presented also matters a lot.
Aug 29, 2016 12:41 AM

Jul 2015
Non aggresive tsunderes is the first step to a good one, all the others, specially that abomination called Louise, should be put in the trash can.

After that, it's more of just being "tsun" enough without getting tiring, a lot of them just get sooo annoying, mixing it with cute reactions is the key.

Examples of good tsunderes include Kurisu (Steins;Gate), Takao (D-Frag!) and Nanami (Sakurasou)
Aug 29, 2016 12:51 AM

Jul 2013
Gator said:
Illyricus said:
Nope, Hitagi is not a tsundere, she just parody the trope, but apart of that, she doesn't has the charasteristics the average tsundere has.

Yeah like I said I agree with you, she just acts like one because it's funny xD

I don't think though you canreally classify her as any dere type, she's way too odd for that :3
Senjougahara is simply Senjougahara at the end. Nothing more, nothing less.
Aug 29, 2016 12:57 AM
Jan 2013
what make tsundere bad? the generalization of some sort anime characterization called tsundere itself is the cancer!
Aug 29, 2016 1:01 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
If we're talking about characterisation then the ones which actually mature over time. Taiga is a perfect example of that as she basically grows out of it as the story goes on

As far as more general trope filling goes, well I'm a masochist too so I can definitely enjoy the abuse, but honestly I like it more if the girls is pushing the guy around and beating him up because she wants to, not just because she's trying to hide her own embarrassment. That's what separates the sadists from the insecure ones after all. Like I think Louise is pretty hot given how far she goes with the abuse even if she still loves him on the inside. It's a natural thing for her to beat Saito up at any moment which makes her more of a sadist tbh
Aug 29, 2016 1:09 AM

Sep 2015
A succinct answer would be the less tropey they are, the better. This would go for all characters of all archetypes, of course; a character that is written with a personality rather than following a checklist for a -dere type is usually going to be a superior type of character. This is further exacerbated if you don't actually like the usual antics of a particular archetype. The tsundere in particular splits people because many, quite understandably, don't like shitty people, which tsunderes usually are.

With that in mind, what do I think makes a tsundere good?

My first and foremost example would be Taiga from Toradora - she isn't a tsundere, yet she captures the -tsun side of them very well. From my view, Taiga is a very well-written character because I could see people acting like her in real life, exaggerated violence notwithstanding. Rather than acting like a typical tsundere, her angry side is simply because she's short-tempered which is perfectly understandable. She has her embarrassed side when her crush is around, she gets angry at other people. There's more than one side to her; she's too developed to be written off as just any particular archetype, despite giving off the impression to many that she's just another tsundere. I suppose it doesn't help that she's voiced by Rie Kugimiya.

But as far as actual tsunderes go? I typically - although not always - hate violent tsunderes. When they start getting violent then at that point it becomes too clear that they're just a highly exaggerated anime archetype rather than being an actual character; it doesn't help that oftentimes the reason for their violence is some really stupid, ill-fitting excuse that in no way, shape or form warrants their violent reactions. I don't find it funny, I just find it annoying. It's especially made worse when you have scenes where the (usually female tsundere) is in the wrong but still abuses the wimpy male MC anyway. I don't know why that seems to be a fetish but it's one I do not share in.
Louise from Zero no Tsukaima is the obvious example here. Whilst Saito deserved his treatment half the time, the other half he did not and yet was still abused. Louise would make a mistake and still assault him anyway. That's the type of tsundere that I can't stand because it's just fucking stupid. Although in Louise's defence, the entire cast of that anime were awful; she wasn't the only terribly-written character. ZnT managed to be one of the few anime where I disliked the vast majority of the entire main cast. /rantover

As for the rest, if a tsundere is non-violent I can usually stomach them, and potentially even like them. Victorique from Gosick was a pretty damn good tsundere, even if she fit all the usual expected antics. She was pretty consistent in her -tsun to -dere ratio, too; we got to see a fair amount of her softer side that was usually hidden by her icy exterior. Given that character development was had in the form of us learning about her family life, we can see that her -tsun side was used more as a defence mechanism to cope with the shit she had to go through rather than because she was just a shitty person. It gave a legitimate reason for her to act the way she did, as opposed to the author wanting to shoehorn a tropey character into the story.

Aside from her, some other tsunderes I thought were tolerable - not good or bad - would be Rin Tohsaka from the Fate Series. Bit of a stuck-up bitch, but understandable given her position and lineage. I still found her intolerable at times but she could have been a lot worse.

So I guess the short and sweet of it is the less tropey a tsundere is, the better, although even stock tsunderes can be good if the author knows what they're doing. I'll personally almost always dislike violent tsunderes, although there are exceptions here and there such as Koneko from Highschool DxD. But characters that can't be classified as a particular -dere type will always be better than those who can.

Robiiii said:

Gonna tag my buddy @maz and see what he has to say

Thanks ^^
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Aug 29, 2016 1:15 AM

May 2015
The only tsunderes I like are Noire and Uni from the Neptunia series. What makes them different than most tsunderes is that little bit of self-awareness.

Their purpose is to be tsunderes. All the comic value is coming from that, and many of the jokes - Noire's snobbish attitude, her lack of friends - are directly tied to the tsundere personality. It's not just about beating up the protagonist and then letting your guard down.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 29, 2016 2:18 AM

Jul 2015
hazerddex said:
Couranos said:

oh her... WAIT PEOPLE THINK SHES TUSNDERE?!
i dont even.... guy walks in on girl naked girl attacks them and gets branded a tsundere.... i dont even...

She's far from being a tsundere lol, she is clearly a Deredere to me, and she's do damn awesome and lovable <3
Aug 29, 2016 2:49 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Stella is definitely not a tsundere lol, that's absurd
Aug 29, 2016 2:53 AM

Jan 2008
Good: Kurisu from Steins;Gate
Bad: Everyone else
Aug 29, 2016 2:55 AM

Feb 2013
Good tsunderes > kurisu, Maki

Bad tsunderes > the ones that constantly yells and hit the mc

Aug 29, 2016 2:58 AM

Dec 2015
HaXXspetten said:

I thought the same thing lol
But then again I dont remember too much of it x3
Aug 29, 2016 2:58 AM

Nov 2009
I usually evaluate characters as people.

If the tsundere is a good person overall (always the first to punish evildoers and help her friends), and she's just bad with romance or with people in general - she's a good tsundere. Bonus points for having an appropriate backstory, and for getting better over time.

If the tsundere is just an evil sadist like Louise, and the only time you ever see him/her doing anything good is when he/she is taking his/her love interest out of trouble - he/she is a bad tsundere, and the people who like him/her must be crazy.
Aug 29, 2016 3:00 AM

Jun 2015
HaXXspetten said:

In the beginning of the series, Stella was pretty much your typical tsundere. But after 4 episodes, she became 5% tsun and 95% dere. Not like I'm complaining though. I absolutely adore Stella.

Anyways, I think a good balance of tsun to dere is key for making a good tsundere character. If a character has too much 'tsun' then they just come off as bitchy often. When they have too much 'dere', it confuses the viewers. But I find that most people would rather watch a 'deredere' than a 'tsuntsun.'
Aug 29, 2016 3:04 AM

Jul 2015
abusive tsunderes = worst kind of characters
good tsunderes i know : victorique and aoyama
Aug 29, 2016 4:10 AM

Jun 2015
The good ones are those who have a reason for behaving the way that they do. Ex: Asuka and Taiga.
Aug 29, 2016 4:27 AM

May 2016
Good tsundere ? What's that? They are all annoying little cunts.
Aug 29, 2016 4:28 AM

Nov 2012
tsundere that constantly abuse others suck. otherwise i don't mind them or like them :p
Aug 29, 2016 2:10 PM

Jul 2015
In Denpa Kyoushi, Kagami's sister Suzune beat the shit out of him a few times with a baseball bat, that's a bad tsundere, but she also really cared about him and her fellow students, that's a good tsundere. Basically Tsundere characters have very bad tempers, but are supposed to have deep feelings for the other characters.
They can drive me crazy because they are such bitches most of the time.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What is your most re-watched anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 15

88 by r3v3l3v3l »»
6 seconds ago

» Do you find how the anime community finds something to be edgy annoying?

vasipi4946 - 9 hours ago

14 by Sorachin »»
33 seconds ago

» Anime you would like to play as a game

nishant0 - Yesterday

16 by ISwearIDidntDoIt »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Apr 16

136 by alshu »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime and Time Management

LenRea - 2 hours ago

9 by Zettaiken »»
3 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.