Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 31, 2016 8:25 AM

Jun 2015
@Trance

Love is an incredibly ambiguous word, it's definition keeps evolving. The current meaning is romantic love. I'm sure that romance is a western cultural invention and it didn't exist during our primitive years. Romantic love is temporary, and it is like an intense feeling of euphoria. It is not true love because it is being in love with the idea of love, not the individual themselves. That is why when the passions fade that you realize how much of a mistake you made, and therefore you cheat. It's a by-product of romanticism, really. Romanticism praises imagination over reason, emotions over logic, and intuition over science. It isn't difficult to think that this movement would glorify love as romantic writers were concerned with nature, human feelings, compassion for mankind, freedom of the individual etc. It still has a massive impact on western, and therefore global culture.
Aug 31, 2016 8:40 AM

Nov 2015
Ozul said:
@Trance

Love is an incredibly ambiguous word, it's definition keeps evolving. The current meaning is romantic love. I'm sure that romance is a western cultural invention and it didn't exist during our primitive years. Romantic love is temporary, and it is like an intense feeling of euphoria. It is not true love because it is being in love with the idea of love, not the individual themselves. That is why when the passions fade that you realize how much of a mistake you made, and therefore you cheat. It's a by-product of romanticism, really. Romanticism praises imagination over reason, emotions over logic, and intuition over science. It isn't difficult to think that this movement would glorify love as romantic writers were concerned with nature, human feelings, compassion for mankind, freedom of the individual etc. It still has a massive impact on western, and therefore global culture.

It's not ambiguous, it's merely changing. The current idea of love is a strange mixture of past and a supposed future. At this moment in history, we fall in love and expect love itself to preserve the relationship as real estate and a marriage contract would in the past. We try to move on without taking off the shackles of the past. We want love to evolve without evolving our relationships. This conceptual confusion may seem to be a non-issue but when you zoom out of the picture, you'll see how much it affects us. Single parents, divorces, and all such family problems can be solved if only we let the idea of relationships evolve with our idea of love. And right now, we are held back by our ideas of love.

All of this isn't resolved by any sort of explanation though. Unless you accept my stance, no explanation of the current situation is even necessary.
Aug 31, 2016 9:17 AM

Jun 2015
@Trance

Basically we can agree that there is something wrong with the meaning of love today. Disappointing.
Aug 31, 2016 9:32 AM

Sep 2015
Trance said:
only because your partner found emotional connection with someone else.
lol "Only".
Perhaps you'll get the answer you're searching for at the day you come home tired from work, open your bedroom door, and see your girlfriend getting banged real nice from the behind by your dad and best mate at the same time.

Will you go: "Oh well... I guess she found emotional connection with someone else.¯\_(ツ)_/¯" ?

Open relationships don't last long for obvious reasons. That's all I'm saying... (^_^;)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2016 10:39 AM

Nov 2015
Ozul said:
@Trance

Basically we can agree that there is something wrong with the meaning of love today. Disappointing.

I actually don't agree. There is something wrong with the concept of love that some people go around with; that's all that prompted this thread. I don't believe a single thing I've said so far in this thread apart from that one time when I said that I don't believe in anything I'm saying (on the last page). There's a refutation and a counter and very good ones at that. Just waiting for someone to give them.

Tchami said:
Trance said:
only because your partner found emotional connection with someone else.
lol "Only".
Perhaps you'll get the answer you're searching for at the day you come home tired from work, open your bedroom door, and see your girlfriend getting banged real nice from the behind by your dad and best mate at the same time.

Will you go: "Oh well... I guess she found emotional connection with someone else.¯_(ツ)_/¯" ?

Open relationships don't last long for obvious reasons. That's all I'm saying... (^_^;)

Does nothing to answer the original question. Like 95% of the posts in this thread lol
Aug 31, 2016 11:14 AM
Dec 2015
It's breaking a promise you two made with each other. If you can't be trusted with that, what can you be trusted with at all?
Aug 31, 2016 11:22 AM

Aug 2013
Only a coward and a snake cheats instead of breaking it off before jumping in bed with someone else. Its basically spitting on the face of someone you're supposed to care about. A cheater is self absorbed and weak.

Its not even about love its basic respect.
Aug 31, 2016 11:37 AM

May 2015
Trance said:
Love is built upon trust and respect, is the common belief. But what exactly are we trusting the other person with?

Years of relationship collapses for one night of misfortune or only because your partner found emotional connection with someone else. Is love a kind of ownership or entitlement?

You give me your body and I give you mine. You stay in my prison and I stay in yours.

Maybe it's love that is in the wrong and not cheating...

Trance said:

Wrong in the sense that it is entitlement, ownership and an infringement upon the other's rights. No one has any difficulty accepting the fact that love should turn mellow over the years. And even if the initial spark isn't there, the proof of love remains with the fact that you still cannot imagine 'living with someone else'. You may have affairs outside your relationship but you will not entertain the idea of living with someone else. Shouldn't that suffice? that you can do anything you want except for living with someone else?

Love in the long term is always about getting used to the other person. If it is something else, kindly expound on it.

I don't have a direct reason, because I can't speak for other people

But some people think it's wrong to be manipulative and dishonest, that's the ethics the majority of people who think cheating is bad hold. Isn't it also subjective to think that distrust is the rights people hold? There is no one true objective standard for what's "wrong" and what's "right, at least for non-religious people.

Personally, in my subjective view, I think that's bullshit. I love lying to people and stabbing them in the back, I view being dishonest and distrustful as a tool of strength, and strength is good, therefore being dishonest and distrustful is good morals.

Long live the lies.

UnpopularAnime said:
Because you're lying. And lying is wrong.

SUBJECTIVELY
ashfrliebertAug 31, 2016 11:40 AM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Aug 31, 2016 11:56 AM

Jun 2015
A refutation and a counter to what, @Trance? I answer your questions, but you have a new one with every reply. Tell me, what am I even supposed to answer? Is the question "is love a kind of ownership?", or is it "What has led to the current cultural definition of love?"
Aug 31, 2016 12:03 PM

Nov 2015
Ozul said:
A refutation and a counter to what, @Trance? I answer your questions, but you have a new one with every reply. Tell me, what am I even supposed to answer? Is the question "is love a kind of ownership?", or is it "What has led to the current cultural definition of love?"

A refutation of my entire argument which begins from doubting love to the point of asserting a total paradigm shift of our current style of relationships. What's so hard to get a handle on? lol
Aug 31, 2016 12:12 PM

Mar 2008
Trance said:
traed said:

I think you're just not accepting my points even though they are valid.

Lets put it this way. A slave master possesses a slave. Does the slave posses the master? No. Possession is a hierarchal thing. If possession is mutual between two people and is not controlling it's not actually possession of another person. It's not necisarily that they own eachother it's that they both own the entity that is the relationship. The relationship is shared and this ownership is not transferable to a third party and attempt to do so voids the property rights of the relationship at which point it can either be renewed or dissolved.

Another way to explain things is if someone loves their partner truely then they would need no other for just that one person fully satisfies their needs but if they go to someone else that means some needs are not met and the partner who was cheated on could either consider themselves to be inadequate or their partners love to be inadequate to what they desire.

Your points would be valid if I beckoned an explanation. The question here demands justification. If you and @Ozul carefully read the first post, you'll see that it is a direct critique of the idea of love. It is not asking for an explanation of how things are but why they are like this. And since the way things are has been shaped by the idea which is under criticism here, it is entirely irrelevant to bring them up. What eludes you here is the word 'why' which can be employed both as a solicitation of explanation and as of justification. It is an inadequacy of English language but now that you know, try to tackle it from another angle.

On another note, no person ever needs another one. If what you mean is 'sexual needs' then it's factually, and observably, wrong. The desire for emotional intimacy, too, doesn't run out if one finds someone to hit things up with. Love is not a need, it is a want. If there were no restraints on love such as are right now, I would have no difficulties in conceiving that husbands would love their wives but nevertheless be intimate with other women too.

I already explained that indirectly though. It is like it is because people have free will (with limitations) and are able to set the standards of what love is or what relationships are. It doesn't have to have a reason other than what individuals and society gives it and it doesn't have to be rationalized to death because they and their partner enjoy it. Love and relationships are products of pssychology, society, and evolution and if you like a soul too. Humans only experience the world from a human point of view and not only that they only are able to experience it through their own body so they have the ability to choose their own rules.
Aug 31, 2016 12:15 PM

Nov 2015
traed said:

I already explained that indirectly though. It is like it is because people have free will (with limitations) and are able to set the standards of what love is or what relationships are. It doesn't have to have a reason other than what individuals and society gives it and it doesn't have to be rationalized to death because they and their partner enjoy it. Love and relationships are products of pssychology, society, and evolution and if you like a soul too. Humans only experience the world from a human point of view and not only that they only are able to experience it through their own body so they have the ability to choose their own rules.

The society once gave no reason to killing homosexuals other than 'God says so'. This very same society once gave no reason to refuse rights of suffrage to women. This same society once enslaved people without any reason too.

Your answer, still, is no different from 'it is how it is'. Merely an explanation, not a justification.
Aug 31, 2016 12:47 PM

Oct 2015
You have obviously never been in love. Let's hope one day you'll understand why.
Aug 31, 2016 12:51 PM

Mar 2008
Trance said:
traed said:

The society once gave no reason to killing homosexuals other than 'God says so'. This very same society once gave no reason to refuse rights of suffrage to women. This same society once enslaved people without any reason too.

Your answer, still, is no different from 'it is how it is'. Merely an explanation, not a justification.

Evolution works on the biological levels but society also evolves. Unlike biological evolution the evolution of society is consciously done not just a result of the environment itself so that means in the long run it will always head in a direction of improvement regardless of random chance. That is not to say that relationships and love are perfect now but they are better than they were.
Aug 31, 2016 12:51 PM

Nov 2015
Yaamare said:
You have obviously never been in love. Let's hope one day you'll understand why.

Twice, actually. Anything else, madame?

traed said:

Evolution works on the biological levels but society also evolves. Unlike biological evolution the evolution of society is consciously done not just a result of the environment itself so that means in the long run it will always head in a direction of improvement. That is not to say that relationships and love are perfect now but they are better than they were.

And what I am proposing right now is something which isn't yet happening and something which can and theoretically should happen in the future. Thereby, I am proposing, quite consciously, an improvement. You're talking of the present in relation to the past. I'm talking of the future in relation to the present.
Aug 31, 2016 1:01 PM

Oct 2015
Trance said:
Yaamare said:

Such a unique reply, I must say. I am glad you bothered to check my gender.

On a serious note, we are not just simple animals that go on and bang anyone we like just because "kids lel". This topic is similar as that "Suicide is not a cowardice". Yes, technically the both statements (yours and that other) can be somehow proven as "This can make sense." but it isn't just materialistic world we're talking about. I obviously disagree with you because when you are in a relationship with someone it is expected (unless you have set of rules like Sheldon and Amy from Big Bang Theory) that the other person is your priority. Just because you feel like going off and on with some random chick because biological reasons and stuff, it isn't right, because your girlfriend should matter more to you than random lust.

It's pretty simple. You really think like 90% (minimum) people would think cheating is wrong without any logical argument?

Btw, this is MAL and I'm kind of wasting my life, don't feel surprised if yo udon't get any reply from me because I just don't care enough to discuss much this particular subject online. Well, at least your way of thinking is rather unique and interesting. Have a good day though. :)
Aug 31, 2016 1:06 PM

Nov 2015
Yaamare said:
Trance said:

On a serious note, we are not just simple animals that go on and bang anyone we like just because "kids lel". This topic is similar as that "Suicide is not a cowardice". Yes, technically the both statements (yours and that other) can be somehow proven as "This can make sense." but it isn't just materialistic world we're talking about. I obviously disagree with you because when you are in a relationship with someone it is expected (unless you have set of rules like Sheldon and Amy from Big Bang Theory) that the other person is your priority. Just because you feel like going off and on with some random chick because biological reasons and stuff, it isn't right, because your girlfriend should matter more to you than random lust.

It's pretty simple. You really think like 90% (minimum) people would think cheating is wrong without any logical argument?

Btw, this is MAL and I'm kind of wasting my life, don't feel surprised if yo udon't get any reply from me because I just don't care enough to discuss much this particular subject online. Well, at least your way of thinking is rather unique and interesting. Have a good day though. :)

Didn't need to to open your profile. Your gender was apparent from your avatar and your name. Your posting suggested likewise.

The biggest mistake that you, and many others in this thread, are making is to tackle this topic from a synthetic (or experiential) point of view. It's a conceptual contest. The topic beckons you to give a clarification of concepts and thereby establish the synthetic. Cheating is wrong and it has its logical reasons -- sure, I accept that. But what are those reasons? No one has given any.
Aug 31, 2016 1:13 PM

Mar 2008
Trance said:
traed said:

Evolution works on the biological levels but society also evolves. Unlike biological evolution the evolution of society is consciously done not just a result of the environment itself so that means in the long run it will always head in a direction of improvement. That is not to say that relationships and love are perfect now but they are better than they were.

And what I am proposing right now is something which isn't yet happening and something which can and theoretically should happen in the future. Thereby, I am proposing, quite consciously, an improvement. You're talking of the present in relation to the past. I'm talking of the future in relation to the present.

But it's not up to you to dictate how people feel. You as an individual do not have more intelligence than the collective intelligence of humanity.
Aug 31, 2016 1:14 PM

Nov 2015
traed said:
Trance said:

But it's not up to you to dictate how people feel. You as an individual do not have more intelligence than the collective intelligence of humanity.

I could say the same to the Mr.X who advocated abolition of slavery.
Aug 31, 2016 1:41 PM

Mar 2008
Trance said:
traed said:

I could say the same to the Mr.X who advocated abolition of slavery.

I was generalizing by the mean range, I don't mean to say that no individual can surpass the whole average. Lets put it this way. If you were to take the view of love every individual or culture on the planet has and average it out that average will surpass the majority of all individuals and cultures but some individuals or cultures might be head of that.

If I were to use your example, which I suppose might be a reference to a contrast I made further back, if Mr. X advocated abolition of slavery and if they were the only one that does not mean they are right or wrong but for that time period and situation if the majority opposes it, that wont happen but Mr X can influence others. Although I said society is not bound by situations that was a bit of an exaggeration because situations do have an influence how individuals think and how individuals think has an influence on society, but they arent total victims, they are able to change things. There isnt a clear line between what is right or wrong, but rather at any given time what is the current state of things if held by the majority willl tend to be seen a what is most right for the time and in the future as things change what is most right moves away from that to something more right but of course this is global because individual societies can fluctuate behind or ahead of the average. The potential a global society has is only as good as how much influence the most evolved people are but what is most evolved isnt really something that can be known till past their own time unless they propopse stepping far back to things far in the past which clearly is moving backwards in social evolution ot forward. Sorry this is a bit hard to put into words so im not sure if I am getting my thoughts across.
Aug 31, 2016 1:43 PM

Sep 2014
that's what two people agree to before they start the relationship.
Aug 31, 2016 2:17 PM

Apr 2016
ashfrliebert said:
Trance said:
Love is built upon trust and respect, is the common belief. But what exactly are we trusting the other person with?

Years of relationship collapses for one night of misfortune or only because your partner found emotional connection with someone else. Is love a kind of ownership or entitlement?

You give me your body and I give you mine. You stay in my prison and I stay in yours.

Maybe it's love that is in the wrong and not cheating...

Trance said:

Wrong in the sense that it is entitlement, ownership and an infringement upon the other's rights. No one has any difficulty accepting the fact that love should turn mellow over the years. And even if the initial spark isn't there, the proof of love remains with the fact that you still cannot imagine 'living with someone else'. You may have affairs outside your relationship but you will not entertain the idea of living with someone else. Shouldn't that suffice? that you can do anything you want except for living with someone else?

Love in the long term is always about getting used to the other person. If it is something else, kindly expound on it.

I don't have a direct reason, because I can't speak for other people

But some people think it's wrong to be manipulative and dishonest, that's the ethics the majority of people who think cheating is bad hold. Isn't it also subjective to think that distrust is the rights people hold? There is no one true objective standard for what's "wrong" and what's "right, at least for non-religious people.

Personally, in my subjective view, I think that's bullshit. I love lying to people and stabbing them in the back, I view being dishonest and distrustful as a tool of strength, and strength is good, therefore being dishonest and distrustful is good morals.

Long live the lies.

UnpopularAnime said:
Because you're lying. And lying is wrong.

SUBJECTIVELY

Nope, objectively. If you have a relationship with someone, in our culture it's automatically assumed that you are promising to not go out with anyone else. So if you do, especially without telling your first partner, you are lying.
Aug 31, 2016 2:40 PM

Jun 2013
seriously? no sane person in any monogamous relationship would want to have their love and trust turn into shit because their partner didn't have the decency to at least be honest with them
Aug 31, 2016 7:45 PM

May 2016
@Trance

Let me try again with this. You said there's a counterargument, so I'll just keep looking until I find it, I suppose.

You said that this idea was revolutionary. Fine, I can accept that, if accepted, it would cause major changes to our societies' social structures.

However, you also said that
Maybe we are at a crucial point in our evolutionary history

in response to the following,
lmao, talking about all this is making me realize, modern society is not really fit for human instinctual behavior at all. having all these men around your mate causes all kinds of anxiety over the competition that you can't do anything about. no wonder there's so many women who complain that their boyfriends are clingy and why there's so many desperate ex boyfriends

Isn't that effectively saying we should revise modern society to account for human instincts? Isn't the point of society to socially evolve people into creatures less dependent on outdated instinctual behaviors?

I doubt that's what you meant by that, though. I still hold to my point that this would be going backwards as a society. If you look at the social structure of ancient Sparta, they didn't accept the concept of "cheating" or "adultery" at all. That is to say, the men were allowed to sleep with whoever they wanted, and the women were allowed to sleep with whoever they wanted. The only difference is that it only had to be consensual in the cases where the women initiated it. Basically, it was a "survival of the fittest" societal structure where the most beautiful women and strongest men would pick one another, leaving the others to choose amongst themselves. They had marriage, mind you, but they simply didn't see that intimacy as anything but a way to concentrate the "best" genetic material. But that was still better than what you're proposing in some ways--marriage was arranged and carried out for monetary reasons in many cases, but the women still had financial support for when they had children.

You mentioned that "cheating" didn't necessarily indicate sexual intimacy. I would argue against that, as well. Only in cases of delusional jealousy would someone think that a platonic relationship was cheating. And that's what that is. If the relationship has nothing to do with sex, it's platonic, regardless of how closely the two people become emotionally connected. If there is some "sexual tension," it's still not cheating, because it hasn't gone beyond what is widely considered acceptable in society.

So, even if we remove the physical risks of cheating, the fact remains that this is not revolutionary in a beneficial way. Rather, it is, like many ideas in recent times, merely a way to rephrase an old ideology. This is asking for a return of the social construct we discarded because it was detrimental both economically and societally.
"Shocking truth!" ~Chaika Trabant
"How unpleasant." ~Kuriyama Mirai
"Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there." ~Rem
"You don't die for your friends; you live for them." ~Misaka Mikoto
"Now I believe. In my own strength... and in the one who gave me that strength." ~Roze
"I'll be the guard dog of all your fever dreams."
Signature and forum avatar courtesy of @SenpieX
Aug 31, 2016 8:32 PM

Feb 2016
Why is cheating bad?
Just watch School Days.
Aug 31, 2016 10:30 PM

Sep 2013
Your way of thinking is rather dangerous, to be honest.

To say that monogamy is ownership or entitlement is like condemning a fair deal because you didn't get all the benefits and the other party all the disadvantages. You can leave the relationship, if you want: if there were true ownership, you wouldn't be able to do this because you are your partner's belonging (and vice versa) and therefore devoid of freedom to choose this; it isn't entitlement because you are assuming that the people that get into relationships don't willingly go into them. By entering a relationship, you have CHOSEN to make sacrifices for your partner and vice versa, which means that your partner isn't feeling as though he is deserving of what has been given up out of their overwhelming sense of superiority over you; instead, they actually HAVE BEEN PROMISED what has been given up by YOU to begin with. If anything, to say that monogamy is ownership or entitlement is just fundamentally wrong.

If you do get into a relationship, you are supposed to compromise because people are different and cannot always agree with each other; this is no jail. You treating it as one is selfish because you're basically saying you cannot answer any demands from your partner, even though your partner is in their full right to make them (just as you also are) because you are in a mutual relationship (you say that your partner is attempting to control you and vice versa, but you're just twisting it negatively; control would imply that they want to dominate you when this isn't the case because domination implies an unfair situation which isn't what's provided as these limitations are for the sake of fairness for both parties). A few restrictions are not a prison; life itself has restrictions. By your definition, games are a prison since they have limitations you have to abide by. Love is a relationship in which both parties are (should be, at least) at an equal standing in their collective lifestyle: this means there are things you have to give up, in the same way your partner has to give them up for you. It's a mutualistic relationship based on trust and respect, because you need to trust and respect someone to be making these sorts of compromises. Trust derives from respect: you trust someone if you feel as though they are of adequate moral fiber and will not engage in immoral or dishonest behavior towards you (AKA if someone is reliable, you trust them). What do you get in return for these compromises? The reliability of having someone who would not act immorally towards you, would support/help you and their full empathy for your endeavors (basically, people ~caring~ about you) along with the sex and having kids and all that jazz. Of course. What are you expecting?

The immorality of cheating is obvious: you are breaching the compromise you've made, which is a form of dishonesty and disloyalty. You are, indeed, supposed to be content with your partner when it comes to sex; you've signed up for it. Naturally, people can be attracted to other people, but your respect and loyalty to your partner, along with your empathy for them should be overriding this attraction, because you've chosen someone already: this is called self- control. You imply people can't have this, but THEY CAN, and if they're committing to someone, they have to. We're made to care about people, our partners especially, precisely so we can do this. If you like someone else that isn't your partner, you're showing that this reliability you should be offering to your partner won't be prioritized (when it should be), and that's a breach of trust. Who knows if you might actually do something immoral to your partner that may benefit the other person you're into? These are real concerns, especially because they imply a lack of an equal standing between your partner and yourself, since while they have you only, you have other people to tip things in your favor (basically, you have someone else at your side who will do things for you without caring about your partner; it's a disadvantage to your partner). You can say that that means lovers don't trust each other to begin with, but of course you wouldn't trust someone that isn't entirely at an equal standing to you and may just screw you over for somebody else. Would you?

In general, if you like someone better, don't keep your partner around. Why would you? You're just playing with their feelings; it's immoral and deplorable. If you don't want to commit to a monogamous relationship, don't. Monogamy has good parts and bad parts: just because it doesn't work to you, it doesn't mean it's the most terrible thing ever. If you want to keep to your hedonistic lust, you shouldn't drag the people who want to commit to you along with them and then blame them because you couldn't do everything you wanted in the relationship. In fact, just because humans are all naturally lustful people (not even the case to begin with, and there is a hormone precisely made for commitment and love), it doesn't mean that it's perfectly alright to be that way. It's like saying people should condone violent tendencies because it's part of their instincts: what, so I should be able to punch or stab whoever I want? Should I be allowed to carry vengeance towards anything that's warranted my petty grudges because there are people who naturally form more petty grudges? At least, you CAN try to get laid as much as want if people are consenting to it, but saying that we should just embrace hedonism and abandon things such as trust-based romantic monogamous relationships because of it is just wrong, if not outright despicable. It may sound harsh, but that's just how it is. I would genuinely love for you to understand the gravity of just what you are arguing for.
Sep 1, 2016 12:00 AM

Nov 2015

Ideas are judged based solely on their merits. I'm not bringing something entirely new to the table. I'm merely analyzing the current concept of love and its rituals and have found inconsistencies within them which I want to erase. There is no discontinuity between how things presently are and how things, as I suggest, should be. So the entire idea of my being right or wrong hinges upon whether my analysis is correct or not. Couldn't care less about the argumentum ad populum.

VagueClarity said:

Isn't that effectively saying we should revise modern society to account for human instincts? Isn't the point of society to socially evolve people into creatures less dependent on outdated instinctual behaviors?

No. That was merely a comment on the present state of affairs. It doesn't mean anything more than that.

If you look at the social structure of ancient Sparta, they didn't accept the concept of "cheating" or "adultery" at all. That is to say, the men were allowed to sleep with whoever they wanted, and the women were allowed to sleep with whoever they wanted. The only difference is that it only had to be consensual in the cases where the women initiated it. Basically, it was a "survival of the fittest" societal structure where the most beautiful women and strongest men would pick one another, leaving the others to choose amongst themselves. They had marriage, mind you, but they simply didn't see that intimacy as anything but a way to concentrate the "best" genetic material. But that was still better than what you're proposing in some ways--marriage was arranged and carried out for monetary reasons in many cases, but the women still had financial support for when they had children.

What the Spartans did is exactly what I'm propounding.

You mentioned that "cheating" didn't necessarily indicate sexual intimacy. I would argue against that, as well. Only in cases of delusional jealousy would someone think that a platonic relationship was cheating. And that's what that is. If the relationship has nothing to do with sex, it's platonic, regardless of how closely the two people become emotionally connected. If there is some "sexual tension," it's still not cheating, because it hasn't gone beyond what is widely considered acceptable in society.

It's not entirely delusional. If I confide more in a friend of mine than my romantic partner then my partner will feel left out, naturally so. And while that isn't a circuit breaker, it does act as a resistor. Sooner or later, there'll be no emotional intimacy left between my partner and I and we'll break up thus.

Aines445 said:
Your way of thinking is rather dangerous, to be honest.

To say that monogamy is ownership or entitlement is like condemning a fair deal because you didn't get all the benefits and the other party all the disadvantages. You can leave the relationship, if you want: if there were true ownership, you wouldn't be able to do this because you are your partner's belonging (and vice versa) and therefore devoid of freedom to choose this; it isn't entitlement because you are assuming that the people that get into relationships don't willingly go into them. By entering a relationship, you have CHOSEN to make sacrifices for your partner and vice versa, which means that your partner isn't feeling as though he is deserving of what has been given up out of their overwhelming sense of superiority over you; instead, they actually HAVE BEEN PROMISED what has been given up by YOU to begin with. If anything, to say that monogamy is ownership or entitlement is just fundamentally wrong.

The idea of compromising something when in love is an invention. Because evidently, there have been civilizations where love existed without compromise and so did monogamy. And now, the conditions are again favorable for such a system to be in place. What exactly is the problem with mutual compromise, you might ask? mainly breakups and its accompaniments. The excruciating pain of not having your sweetheart's sole attention would matter little when you enter the relationship with the mindset of not possessing anything. There should be no expectations in a relationship. Everything should come naturally. Rescinding these restrictions will not destroy our ability to love. And if love continues to exist, then we shouldn't fear this radical idea of removing all restrictions, whether they be bi-directional or whatnot.

I love you the way I love the sunset or the moonlight: I want the moment to remain, but all I want to possess in it is the sensation of possessing it.
- Fernando Pessoa

It might seem as if breakups are still non-issue and for that I should highlight the plight of the children the couple has spawned. When you look at it, 90% of couples breakup not due to one partner being unexpectedly vile or corrupt but due to one partner not meeting certain 'expectations' -- and for that you have to thank the current concept of love.

I have never understood the meaning of the term 'trust'. For what exactly do we need trust? to expose our flaws? what deeper flaws might be running through me which do not afflict someone else? If I had a bad childhood, I can confide all of that in a friend; a romantic partner isn't a necessity. Even if I were guilty of a crime, I could use a friend. This vacuous idea of 'trusting someone' is in reality nothing. It doesn't stand up to scrutiny. What exactly do you trust your partner with which you cannot trust some other important person with in your life? Trust is no criteria for a relationship.
Sep 1, 2016 12:40 AM

Mar 2008
Trance said:

Ideas are judged based solely on their merits. I'm not bringing something entirely new to the table. I'm merely analyzing the current concept of love and its rituals and have found inconsistencies within them which I want to erase. There is no discontinuity between how things presently are and how things, as I suggest, should be. So the entire idea of my being right or wrong hinges upon whether my analysis is correct or not. Couldn't care less about the argumentum ad populum.

Then what do you think love and relationships should ideally be like? Because without the exclusivity they're just friends that have sex with eachother.
Sep 1, 2016 1:14 AM

Dec 2012
My favourite part is everyone's lack of experience when they talk about relationships on MAL :)

@Question Cheating is bad it makes people feel bad.

Trance said:
Trust is no criteria for a relationship.
Trust is literally the most important part of a relationship. You're the reason why the divorce rate is so high.

Sep 1, 2016 4:24 AM

Oct 2015
Trance said:
Yaamare said:

Didn't need to to open your profile. Your gender was apparent from your avatar and your name. Your posting suggested likewise.

The biggest mistake that you, and many others in this thread, are making is to tackle this topic from a synthetic (or experiential) point of view. It's a conceptual contest. The topic beckons you to give a clarification of concepts and thereby establish the synthetic. Cheating is wrong and it has its logical reasons -- sure, I accept that. But what are those reasons? No one has given any.

Quite a wild imagination you got, I definitely made up my username lol. So, you are saying my posting suggests that I am a guy?

A++ bye
Sep 1, 2016 4:25 AM

May 2016
Trance said:

VagueClarity said:

No. That was merely a comment on the present state of affairs. It doesn't mean anything more than that.

If you look at the social structure of ancient Sparta, they didn't accept the concept of "cheating" or "adultery" at all. That is to say, the men were allowed to sleep with whoever they wanted, and the women were allowed to sleep with whoever they wanted. The only difference is that it only had to be consensual in the cases where the women initiated it. Basically, it was a "survival of the fittest" societal structure where the most beautiful women and strongest men would pick one another, leaving the others to choose amongst themselves. They had marriage, mind you, but they simply didn't see that intimacy as anything but a way to concentrate the "best" genetic material. But that was still better than what you're proposing in some ways--marriage was arranged and carried out for monetary reasons in many cases, but the women still had financial support for when they had children.

What the Spartans did is exactly what I'm propounding.

It's not entirely delusional. If I confide more in a friend of mine than my romantic partner then my partner will feel left out, naturally so. And while that isn't a circuit breaker, it does act as a resistor. Sooner or later, there'll be no emotional intimacy left between my partner and I and we'll break up thus.

The Spartan method worked only because the rest of their society was based around it. That is to say, if a woman became pregnant, their husband, regardless of whose child it was, would financially support her. What you're proposing is different, merely a system wherein anyone can sleep with anyone without obligation. This would lead to unsupported single parents. If we were to overhaul our current system, then that could work, but again, we'd be going backwards socially, not forwards.

That isn't cheating. That's just a platonic emotional connection. If the relationship breaks apart because of that, that would be only because of A) extreme, unreasonable jealousy, or B) neglect. If you neglect your partner in your relationship, it doesn't matter if there's anyone else you're dating. It doesn't matter what platonic relationships you have. It doesn't matter who you sleep with. That relationship is going to fall apart because you aren't bothering to maintain it. If you, as you said, want to cheat while maintaining that emotional connection with your partner, how can you say that neglecting their emotional state and your connection is cheating? Your definition is contradictory to your stance.

So again, I maintain my point that cheating is at least partially sexual in nature, which naturally leads to the physical consequences, which are more than adequate reason to end a sexual relationship with someone. That is to say, there is a chance that each other person you sleep with will have an STD, and it's not unreasonable to break off a sexual relationship before your partner contracts one, even if there's only a small chance of it occurring.

I apologize for my lack of understanding. You said that there was a logical counterargument to your stance, and I can't seem to find it. My mental state right now is not what it should be, so maybe I can think of it more clearly in a day or two.
"Now I believe. In my own strength... and in the one who gave me that strength." ~Roze
Sep 1, 2016 4:53 AM

Jun 2016
Wow is this seriously a question right now??? And people wonder why humans don't interest me ...
Sep 1, 2016 5:02 AM

Aug 2010
So edgy you cut me. Go to reddit if you want to discuss something like this, it has nothing to do with anime or with the japanese culture at all.
Sep 1, 2016 6:50 AM

Jun 2014
@Trance So basically as I understand it, the argument is that monogamy violates a person's negative right to not be owned or possessed and that it is used as a form of control.

A fair point and in many cases I would agree. However, I would like to put forth that there is a difference between de facto and de jure monogamy. That does rely on the premise that one can be in an open relationship that is still monogamous of course, but the two are not are not mutually exclusive unless using a different definition of monogamy.
retiring_animeSep 1, 2016 6:58 AM
Sep 1, 2016 6:53 AM

Mar 2016
Trance said:
TiaDee said:
The fact that you weren't man/woman enough to come to me and tell me there's a problem and instead chose to jump the first stranger you saw -.-
It's called a relationship because communication and trust.

Why must lust be a problem?

Well, it's all about the morals. If you have, you think lust is a problem, if you don't have, never mind, what others think, you will fornicate, and continue living your decadent life, never mind, what others think.
Sep 1, 2016 6:56 AM

Jun 2014
Dave8814 said:
Trance said:

Why must lust be a problem?

Well, it's all about the morals. If you have, you think lust is a problem, if you don't have, never mind, what others think, you will fornicate, and continue living your decadent life, never mind, what others think.

You make it sound as if 'lust' is inherently immoral.
Sep 1, 2016 7:02 AM

Jun 2015
No one likes being Neglected if something like this happens people think that they aren't important anymore... Its the human ways
Sep 1, 2016 7:09 AM

Mar 2016
lilcoffeebean said:
Dave8814 said:

You make it sound as if 'lust' is inherently immoral.

Because is it? It like greed. Some things just inherently bad.
Sep 1, 2016 8:32 AM

Sep 2013
Trance said:

The idea of compromising something when in love is an invention. Because evidently, there have been civilizations where love existed without compromise and so did monogamy. And now, the conditions are again favorable for such a system to be in place. What exactly is the problem with mutual compromise, you might ask? mainly breakups and its accompaniments. The excruciating pain of not having your sweetheart's sole attention would matter little when you enter the relationship with the mindset of not possessing anything. There should be no expectations in a relationship. Everything should come naturally. Rescinding these restrictions will not destroy our ability to love. And if love continues to exist, then we shouldn't fear this radical idea of removing all restrictions, whether they be bi-directional or whatnot.

I love you the way I love the sunset or the moonlight: I want the moment to remain, but all I want to possess in it is the sensation of possessing it.
- Fernando Pessoa

It might seem as if breakups are still non-issue and for that I should highlight the plight of the children the couple has spawned. When you look at it, 90% of couples breakup not due to one partner being unexpectedly vile or corrupt but due to one partner not meeting certain 'expectations' -- and for that you have to thank the current concept of love.

I have never understood the meaning of the term 'trust'. For what exactly do we need trust? to expose our flaws? what deeper flaws might be running through me which do not afflict someone else? If I had a bad childhood, I can confide all of that in a friend; a romantic partner isn't a necessity. Even if I were guilty of a crime, I could use a friend. This vacuous idea of 'trusting someone' is in reality nothing. It doesn't stand up to scrutiny. What exactly do you trust your partner with which you cannot trust some other important person with in your life? Trust is no criteria for a relationship.

Saying that compromise is an invention does not deny its importance in society. The idea of compromise is necessary for life with any other human being, period. You have to compromise with your family, and even friends: if someone else's will were solely asserted, it wouldn't be fair, which is why people will tolerate certain things from a person and vice versa; they have to for the sake of fairness. Even if there were societies that condoned something other than monogamy, it doesn't mean that compromise was not used (when it comes to their society in general) or that they were correct in doing so. Not only that, but these relationships in these ancient societies were probably even more about the dominance of one party than otherwise, as I'm pretty sure that they were something along the lines of polygamy (in which the women were possessions; not saying that this is the case in all polygamy, just in the one you'd be examplifying) or the husband (just the husband) being able to have affairs with other people (like uh, Ancient Greece where dudes could have a wife and get it on with other dudes; if I'm wrong then feel free to correct me on that). Of course, this is all speculation until you give me an example of these societies, but you imply that they were devoid of compromise and restrictions when it comes to relationships, which I highly, highly doubt.

It's not about the conditions being more favorable in society for monogamy: why would this be the case? Even if there weren't monogamy, everything in society could technically work with the same effectiveness, if not for the exception of people having a little more difficulty in knowing who's the father of a child. If you're instead saying that the conditions are making it so people are more inclined to monogamy, wouldn't that just mean that people are finding it more advantageous within society? Thus, rendering your argument about how much it isn't good kind of moot.

Mutual compromise is precisely there so breakups don't happen; you are arguing paradoxically. Love is not about your partner getting your sole attention: it's about prioritizing your partner's attention; that's what people are in it for. Imagine you're having kids with someone, but instead of caring more about them (including your partner) in times of need, you're more focused on a random stranger in the streets: you can care about the stranger, sure, but you naturally can't (or shouldn't) care about them over your family because you are committing to it. Committing to something implies some form of dedication, and this is not wrong for any partner to expect. You argue as if people just want to hog their partner to themselves and allow them no will of their own, but when you care about someone, you care enough that you don't want to wrong them in this way. Just because people expect you think of them as a priority doesn't mean that they want some sort of possession out of you: you aren't arguing with the concept of empathy and just liking someone in mind, and it plays a huuuge part in the concept of a relationship to begin with. Anyone will want something out of you, but in this case, it isn't selfishness: it's what you signed up for. What they want out of you is precisely what they deserve out of a relationship, so they aren't asking for more than they should by wanting you to prioritize them, and they aren't wishing for something that others can equally give them (seeing as they don't like other people as much as they like you). In fact, you're the one asking for more out of the relationship by saying there should be no restrictions.

I'm rightfully assuming things from the standpoint of a relationship where people care about each other: why would they compromise? Because they, too, have things they want, but they don't want to shut out their partner's demands in the process, because that's selfish, immoral and unfair to them, and if you like someone, you don't want to act in this way towards them. This is obvious. They'd want the same. Which is why there is such a thing as restrictions in a relationship: you shouldn't just want to do everything you want; aren't you thinking of your partner's feelings? I must argue from this position (cheesy as it may sound) because you are neglecting it and making love out to be something that's actually completely loveless; you are denying love itself. People don't feel bad about compromising because they know it's necessary and fair for both parties to have demands and expectations out of a relationship.

Expectations are absolutely warranted out of anything in life. Everyone has expectations about almost everything: people have expectations out of life itself. The feelings of love come naturally, but so do the expectations. Just because you're denying expectations, it doesn't mean that they are wrong to have. It just means you're denying them. The feelings come naturally, as I said, but the relationship itself has to be built upon various foundations for it to work; people put effort into this construction because they care about their partner in the first place. You imply that something that doesn't come naturally isn't good, but this is completely wrong: just because something is invented, constructed or brought about by anything other than natural instincts, it does not make it worse than said instincts. In fact, they come about precisely because said natural instincts aren't good, and naturally having them does not logically excuse them as things we should condone or have. There are many things that shouldn't come naturally: by human constructs and inventions, we have achieved a great many positive things.

Getting rid of these restrictions does hinder our ability to love: people cannot easily love you if you are unreliable, and this lack of restrictions implies unreliability since you are not willing to compromise and consider what the other party demands; it's basically like shouting to the world that you will not make sacrifices for anyone. Why would other people love you if you aren't willing to put aside things for the sake of functioning with others? If everyone were unrestricted, they would simply be more unreliable because you have no idea what they might do for their own sake (as in, if you're going to prioritize yourself over your partner and family and screw them over). By not having these restrictions, you are getting rid of one of the foundations of trust. Feelings are great and beautiful (I wouldn't say Fernando Pessoa is, but eh, let's not go in that direction), but if you're just considering your own feelings and wishing to only pursue the positivity of feelings without restriction, you are being selfish; I'm sorry, but you are. Everyone wants to be happy rather than sad, but people do have to make sacrifices to even live in society, which I'm sure you are also aware of; why would relationships be any different? You are commtting to something all the same.

I would love a source to your statistics. I defined trust in a moral standpoint because it's the core of reliability, though, naturally, reliability has many factors: if you aren't answering expectations or compromising, you aren't being reliable, and of course, the relationship has chances of not lasting because of this. Not only that, but people slowly get to know others: a reason for divorce is the fact that the couple didn't know each other well enough to see that they aren't compatible with each other enough to compromise, thus being unable to fully trust each other at a level of marriage; this is a way of someone 'not meeting expectations' as well. Meeting or not meeting expectations is too broad a concept to toss around as a counter-argument to what I said, since it can indeed imply that the other party was more vile than expected (meaning that you can't compromise with them and they are unreliable). Unless you do bring out statistics that make all or most factors of meeting expectations exclusive, you aren't actually debunking my words.

You can still have a divorce even if you have children (though, yes, I am aware that there are couples who don't do it because they feel responsible for it, but the argument still stands as this responsibility is warranted either way), but you are naturally going to have to shoulder the responsibility of having birthed the baby to begin with. It's definitely an issue when breaking up, but you really do have to deal with it: do you NOT want people to take responsibility for life they have created? This is yet another restriction of society that you cannot get rid of (not only that, but it also implies the unreliability I said above), as you'd be selfish for doing so: it is something that you took part in creating; the baby deserves your support even if you don't like your partner anymore. I truly hope you aren't implying that this is another restriction that we should get rid of. Besides, that doesn't undermine the restrictions of monogamy; it just highlights that it can have consequences. You do still have free will to leave the relationship, but you ARE duty-bound to your child.

I have defined trust in a paragraph that you haven't included in your quote of my post, but as I said, I gave a moral focus to it; it doesn't mean it's wrong, however. Trusting someone is thinking that person is safe to be around in general to the point where you can leave certain things with them on the pretense that if it's that person, they won't do anything wrong with it: if you add my previous definition along with it, it undoubtedly lines up. It's really dangerous that you don't understand the concept of trust, as it's part of the concept of reliability, which is basically one of the foundations (possibly the most important one, at that) of society. We need to trust because we need to feel safe around other people, seeing as humans live collectively and have to interact and function with each other. It's literally so we can live in society. It isn't about exposing weaknesses: it's about having someone who you believe to be able to support your weaknesses; you're twisting it negatively. I'm not saying that all people trust each other, I'm saying that people need to at least trust SOMEONE to live better in society, because you are living with other people in it. If you have no trust in anybody, you won't be servicing other people if necessary (not saying that you should constantly service other people, just when necessary), but only yourself, which is detrimental to society.

Trust isn't just about confiding in people, and you don't feel only trust for your romantic partner: the thing that sets apart your lover from your friend is your romantic feelings (pretty obvious). And most of all, trust is NOT, by any stretch of the imagination, 'nothing'. You are implying trust is useless, which is so wrong it hurts. As I said, it's a foundation of human society (well, it's part of a foundation of human society) necessary for functioning with other people. If you have trust in someone, you will feel safe around them: humans have to feel safe around others or else they can't guarantee what may happen with them (whether they'll be screwed over or not or whether they'll have help from somebody or not, etc...); basically, trust = reliability. To deny trust is to deny some of the basics of functioning as a society.

Also, the difference between a friend and a lover, at least a long-term romantic partner, should be along the lines of the difference between a friend and someone who's part of your family. A friend can have their own agenda (seeing as they have family or a lover that they will prioritize over you), but your partner's agenda should include your wellbeing in it (in the same way your family's agenda, depending on the members and their closeness to you, should also have your wellbeing in it); it's a matter of priorities. Trust is a criteria for a relationship because if you want to compromise with someone, you have to trust them; you cannot build a relationship (a good one) with someone you do not feel safe with. By the way, I would really like to know why you haven't responded to my post in its entirety.
Sep 1, 2016 8:36 AM

Nov 2015
traed said:

Then what do you think love and relationships should ideally be like? Because without the exclusivity they're just friends that have sex with eachother.

And also friends who live with each other. That's the ideal.

VagueClarity said:

The Spartan method worked only because the rest of their society was based around it. That is to say, if a woman became pregnant, their husband, regardless of whose child it was, would financially support her. What you're proposing is different, merely a system wherein anyone can sleep with anyone without obligation. This would lead to unsupported single parents. If we were to overhaul our current system, then that could work, but again, we'd be going backwards socially, not forwards.

Isn't that what I am suggesting? lol

If this is going backwards socially then the acceptance of homosexuality was also 'going backwards'. And of course, I'm introducing this view for the whole society to take; not just for a few individuals.

That isn't cheating. That's just a platonic emotional connection. If the relationship breaks apart because of that, that would be only because of A) extreme, unreasonable jealousy, or B) neglect. If you neglect your partner in your relationship, it doesn't matter if there's anyone else you're dating. It doesn't matter what platonic relationships you have. It doesn't matter who you sleep with. That relationship is going to fall apart because you aren't bothering to maintain it. If you, as you said, want to cheat while maintaining that emotional connection with your partner, how can you say that neglecting their emotional state and your connection is cheating? Your definition is contradictory to your stance.

It's not contradictory. The problem here is the fact that when we seek emotional connection outside our relationship then through our own expectations we come to believe that our relationship back at home has ended or is ending thereby we start neglecting the partner back home. In other words, it's this erroneous view which gives rise to this. You eliminate this view and no amount of emotional intimacy with someone else will result in neglect of your more permanent partner.

I apologize for my lack of understanding. You said that there was a logical counterargument to your stance, and I can't seem to find it. My mental state right now is not what it should be, so maybe I can think of it more clearly in a day or two.

Here's a hint: Try tackling it from a conceptual point of view. First try finding the broader fallacies in my argument then refine (or redefine) the concept of love and then compare this concept with other humanly contrived emotions (no less real than more instinctual emotions) and see how they fit in our societies. If you do it right, you can make a strong case for the current monogamous setup.

lilcoffeebean said:
@Trance So basically as I understand it, the argument is that monogamy violates a person's negative right to not be owned or possessed and that it is used as a form of control.

A fair point and in many cases I would agree. However, I would like to put forth that there is a difference between de facto and de jure monogamy. That does rely on the premise that one can be in an open relationship that is still monogamous of course, but the two are not are not mutually exclusive unless using a different definition of monogamy.

Thank you for introducing the terms. They'll come in handy.
Sep 1, 2016 9:37 AM
Jul 2018
I think it's fine.
Why?
Fuck you, that's why
Sep 1, 2016 10:11 AM

Jun 2015
An argument for monogamy, eh? I'm sure that polygamy is natural, and that monogamy is a societal construct, and that we're just naturally promiscuous. So why do we need to stay in monogamous relationships?

I'd still say that monogamy is a better model than polygamy, despite some big flaws. Polygamy has all the essential flaws of monogamy, and then some more. Jealousy will continue in polygamous relationships, because men will be men and will not be satisfied, even with a large number of spouses. If you want more than 1, why should you stop at 2? The same frustrations, disappointments etc will not magically disappear in polygamous relationships. The number only stops with your resources. There are few people who would be open to casual sex outside of the "harem." It's not so different from monogamy in that regard, because unhappiness, jealousy, and pain are going to happen no matter what you do. If you can't deal with unhappiness, jealousy, or pain, then you're probably not ready for a single relationship, let alone multiple.

Monogamy decreases violence and civil wars, since almost all men get a wife. Wealthy men are the ones who get several wives, while poor, low status men go without. The only way for these unmarried, poor men to raise their status is by becoming a source of civil unrest. Constantly dealing with those kinds of troubles is not the way to have law and order prevail. I remember Foucault suggesting somewhere that institutionalized monogamy is a way of controlling the populace, and I agree. Monogamy was created because it brought order. I think another reason is that it ensured that children have two parents, so that the state doesn't have to help support the children. Far from a perfect model, but better than polygamy.

Love is not passion, love is not desire, love is selfless and practical, but also extremely idealistic. When you love somebody because of the emotional support they provide, your emotional connection to them, the bond of love is created which is the essence of true love. This is true love in my opinion. Monogamy leads to stability, comfort and happiness if this type of love is practiced by two monogamous people who won't cheat or seek other partners. Cheating might be inevitable if they do not truly love each other, but not otherwise.

No system is perfect though. The most logical decision is to renounce all types of relationships, but we are illogical. You are right to doubt monogamy, but are wrong to assert that polygamous relationships are the answer, @Trance.
Sep 1, 2016 10:13 AM

Aug 2016
It damages trust within the family/relationship unit, and thus creates mistrust within society as a whole.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Sep 1, 2016 10:55 AM

May 2016
@Trance

I feel like Aines445 has already addressed your argument more completely than I would have, but there are a few things I'd like to say in response to your replies to me.

Isn't that what I am suggesting?

If that's the case (suggesting a Spartan-type social structure), then you're advocating communism, which has been shown time and again not to work. Either society is forcing people to marry and provide financial support, meaning it's a communistic society, or the community as a whole provides financial support to aid in raising the children, in which case it's also a communistic society. Also, how do we determine who should be supporting who and who should get the child? If we were to go completely with the Spartan method of dealing with this, it would be an entirely male-dominated society, which means half the population is permanently disadvantaged and has their rights violated. This simply isn't a reasonable solution to the "problem." Rather, you're introducing more issues than this method would solve.

It's not contradictory. The problem here is the fact that when we seek emotional connection outside our relationship then through our own expectations we come to believe that our relationship back at home has ended or is ending thereby we start neglecting the partner back home. In other words, it's this erroneous view which gives rise to this. You eliminate this view and no amount of emotional intimacy with someone else will result in neglect of your more permanent partner.

Everyone seeks emotional connection when they interact meaningfully in society. It's simply what we do. Seeking emotional connection with more than one person does not necessarily mean you're neglecting that person--rather, it would be obnoxious and unnecessary to stay with them every moment of every day for the sake of a greater emotional connection.

You're saying that the neglect arises from thinking that you're neglecting the person. That's ridiculous. Neglect arises from consistently prioritizing others. If you don't do that, it doesn't matter what emotional intimacy you have with someone, you'll still prioritize your partner, by definition, and thus you will not neglect them.

Try tackling it from a conceptual point of view. First try finding the broader fallacies in my argument then refine (or redefine) the concept of love and then compare this concept with other humanly contrived emotions (no less real than more instinctual emotions) and see how they fit in our societies. If you do it right, you can make a strong case for the current monogamous setup.

Numerous people have made arguments from the standpoint of love and emotions. You've repeatedly shot them down because you said you were talking about something more fundamental. If you're talking about something more fundamental than emotions, then talking about emotions is pointless and futile. I feel like your question, in this case, has already been answered, and therefore there's no purpose or benefit in continuing this discussion. My arguments excluded emotion and focused on the societal stances, social structures, physical risks, and evidence from past societies precisely because you asked us to exclude emotion. I could easily make a case for emotion's role in promoting monogamy, as many others already have.
Sep 1, 2016 12:42 PM

Mar 2008
Trance said:
traed said:

And also friends who live with each other. That's the ideal.

I assume you mean marriage as you did mention marriage before but marriage would be incompatible with the other things you proposed because marriage is a declared exclusivity and commitment but in an open relationship there is no exclusivity and no commitment. They usually are on again off again relationships.

Also if you just want to live with friends why not just encourage something like an Epicurian commune where houses are connected at a central area where friends can live together and talk to eachother?
Sep 1, 2016 1:06 PM

Nov 2015
Aines445 said:

Saying that compromise is an invention does not deny its importance in society. The idea of compromise is necessary for life with any other human being, period. You have to compromise with your family, and even friends: if someone else's will were solely asserted, it wouldn't be fair, which is why people will tolerate certain things from a person and vice versa; they have to for the sake of fairness. Even if there were societies that condoned something other than monogamy, it doesn't mean that compromise was not used (when it comes to their society in general) or that they were correct in doing so. Not only that, but these relationships in these ancient societies were probably even more about the dominance of one party than otherwise, as I'm pretty sure that they were something along the lines of polygamy (in which the women were possessions; not saying that this is the case in all polygamy, just in the one you'd be examplifying) or the husband (just the husband) being able to have affairs with other people (like uh, Ancient Greece where dudes could have a wife and get it on with other dudes; if I'm wrong then feel free to correct me on that). Of course, this is all speculation until you give me an example of these societies, but you imply that they were devoid of compromise and restrictions when it comes to relationships, which I highly, highly doubt.

Compromise is not universal. Nor is it a constant throughout our lives. Everyone seeks independence. If our families hinder us, we seek exodus from that too. Compromise is only made in face of necessity. No relationship is a necessity in face of the chances of there being more relationships lying ahead or beside. The maximum compromise that can happen is financial support for children. Under a society where people perfectly understand the volatility of emotions, a husband and wife can live under a house, support their children emotionally and financially, and in the meanwhile be able to keep a track of their own happiness too. They'll know that if they need some thrill in life they can always have it. They are not tied to anything so to get sick of it. Their relationship will remain fresh always. And it wont have any negative effect on children either. There can always be doubts about the practices of past civilizations (males dominated, polygamy etc) so let's stick to the present. Have you ever come across an OLTR couple?

I have. And they're invariably happy.

It's not about the conditions being more favorable in society for monogamy: why would this be the case? Even if there weren't monogamy, everything in society could technically work with the same effectiveness, if not for the exception of people having a little more difficulty in knowing who's the father of a child. If you're instead saying that the conditions are making it so people are more inclined to monogamy, wouldn't that just mean that people are finding it more advantageous within society? Thus, rendering your argument about how much it isn't good kind of moot.

Love, as an emotion, desires possession. Without possession it cannot have its object and without object an emotion is, quite simply, a pain in the neck. This little fact about love is what makes us prefer monogamy by default.

Mutual compromise is precisely there so breakups don't happen; you are arguing paradoxically. Love is not about your partner getting your sole attention: it's about prioritizing your partner's attention; that's what people are in it for. Imagine you're having kids with someone, but instead of caring more about them (including your partner) in times of need, you're more focused on a random stranger in the streets: you can care about the stranger, sure, but you naturally can't (or shouldn't) care about them over your family because you are committing to it. Committing to something implies some form of dedication, and this is not wrong for any partner to expect. You argue as if people just want to hog their partner to themselves and allow them no will of their own, but when you care about someone, you care enough that you don't want to wrong them in this way. Just because people expect you think of them as a priority doesn't mean that they want some sort of possession out of you: you aren't arguing with the concept of empathy and just liking someone in mind, and it plays a huuuge part in the concept of a relationship to begin with. Anyone will want something out of you, but in this case, it isn't selfishness: it's what you signed up for. What they want out of you is precisely what they deserve out of a relationship, so they aren't asking for more than they should by wanting you to prioritize them, and they aren't wishing for something that others can equally give them (seeing as they don't like other people as much as they like you). In fact, you're the one asking for more out of the relationship by saying there should be no restrictions.

Mutual compromise to prevent breakups? then what causes breakups? lol

I'm rightfully assuming things from the standpoint of a relationship where people care about each other: why would they compromise? Because they, too, have things they want, but they don't want to shut out their partner's demands in the process, because that's selfish, immoral and unfair to them, and if you like someone, you don't want to act in this way towards them. This is obvious. They'd want the same. Which is why there is such a thing as restrictions in a relationship: you shouldn't just want to do everything you want; aren't you thinking of your partner's feelings? I must argue from this position (cheesy as it may sound) because you are neglecting it and making love out to be something that's actually completely loveless; you are denying love itself. People don't feel bad about compromising because they know it's necessary and fair for both parties to have demands and expectations out of a relationship.

Love is either a fleeting emotion in which case if you put restrictions on it, it can only cause suffering when it flies away or it can be a constant devotion to a particular person which is possible only if it decreases in intensity overtime and remains the only criteria in a relationship for supporting your partner thereby eliminating any need for restrictions. In both cases, the restrictions are unnecessary.

A valid argument, however, can be made against this idea in case one person happens to fall in love with another and one of them is in love with another then it'll keep the first person in the chain hanging while the other chases the last one. That'll be a genuine pain. Worse than breakups.

Expectations are absolutely warranted out of anything in life. Everyone has expectations about almost everything: people have expectations out of life itself. The feelings of love come naturally, but so do the expectations. Just because you're denying expectations, it doesn't mean that they are wrong to have. It just means you're denying them. The feelings come naturally, as I said, but the relationship itself has to be built upon various foundations for it to work; people put effort into this construction because they care about their partner in the first place. You imply that something that doesn't come naturally isn't good, but this is completely wrong: just because something is invented, constructed or brought about by anything other than natural instincts, it does not make it worse than said instincts. In fact, they come about precisely because said natural instincts aren't good, and naturally having them does not logically excuse them as things we should condone or have. There are many things that shouldn't come naturally: by human constructs and inventions, we have achieved a great many positive things.

The point here is simply to restrict those expectations to a few reasonable ones; the expectations that should follow, as if a priori, from the notion of love. And the 'no cheating' expectation is not one of them.

Getting rid of these restrictions does hinder our ability to love: people cannot easily love you if you are unreliable, and this lack of restrictions implies unreliability since you are not willing to compromise and consider what the other party demands; it's basically like shouting to the world that you will not make sacrifices for anyone. Why would other people love you if you aren't willing to put aside things for the sake of functioning with others? If everyone were unrestricted, they would simply be more unreliable because you have no idea what they might do for their own sake (as in, if you're going to prioritize yourself over your partner and family and screw them over). By not having these restrictions, you are getting rid of one of the foundations of trust. Feelings are great and beautiful (I wouldn't say Fernando Pessoa is, but eh, let's not go in that direction), but if you're just considering your own feelings and wishing to only pursue the positivity of feelings without restriction, you are being selfish; I'm sorry, but you are. Everyone wants to be happy rather than sad, but people do have to make sacrifices to even live in society, which I'm sure you are also aware of; why would relationships be any different? You are commtting to something all the same.

What does the other person want?
My commitment? She has it if I love her.
My financial assets? She has them if I promise her.
My company? She has it if I love her.
My sole devotion to her? She has it as long as it's humanly possible.
That I don't have sex with anyone else? What's her basis for expecting this?
That I don't connect with anyone else? What's the basis for this too?

We can vacuously assert all sorts of rituals of love but then again, only vacuously. When you scrutinize them, their nature becomes apparent.

I would love a source to your statistics.

Source: My ass.

I'm not being rude. I actually do pull statistics out of my ass. Statistical studies are unreliable for the most part. Anecdotal evidence is more reliable granted that it makes sense. And there are millions of topics we haven't explored statistically. If we rely on statistics alone, hardly any but the most popular debate topics will proceed.

I have defined trust in a paragraph that you haven't included in your quote of my post, but as I said, I gave a moral focus to it; it doesn't mean it's wrong, however. Trusting someone is thinking that person is safe to be around in general to the point where you can leave certain things with them on the pretense that if it's that person, they won't do anything wrong with it: if you add my previous definition along with it, it undoubtedly lines up.

I don't understand the special importance you're giving it. I've already made it clear that there's nothing a person can trust his partner with that he cannot trust his friends or family with. So why exactly is trust even important here? if trust is the criteria for establishing monogamy, then I should be in a monogamous relationship with my friends too.

Trust isn't just about confiding in people, and you don't feel only trust for your romantic partner: the thing that sets apart your lover from your friend is your romantic feelings (pretty obvious). And most of all, trust is NOT, by any stretch of the imagination, 'nothing'. You are implying trust is useless, which is so wrong it hurts. As I said, it's a foundation of human society (well, it's part of a foundation of human society) necessary for functioning with other people. If you have trust in someone, you will feel safe around them: humans have to feel safe around others or else they can't guarantee what may happen with them (whether they'll be screwed over or not or whether they'll have help from somebody or not, etc...); basically, trust = reliability. To deny trust is to deny some of the basics of functioning as a society.

Also, the difference between a friend and a lover, at least a long-term romantic partner, should be along the lines of the difference between a friend and someone who's part of your family. A friend can have their own agenda (seeing as they have family or a lover that they will prioritize over you), but your partner's agenda should include your wellbeing in it (in the same way your family's agenda, depending on the members and their closeness to you, should also have your wellbeing in it); it's a matter of priorities. Trust is a criteria for a relationship because if you want to compromise with someone, you have to trust them; you cannot build a relationship (a good one) with someone you do not feel safe with. By the way, I would really like to know why you haven't responded to my post in its entirety.

The part of your posts that I omit are corollary to the parts I do address. Or they are simply irrelevant.

What you have said in these two paragraphs puts love on a separate pedestal and that I don't contest at all. But whether it supports monogamy or not, I cannot tell.

Ozul said:
An argument for monogamy, eh? I'm sure that polygamy is natural, and that monogamy is a societal construct, and that we're just naturally promiscuous. So why do we need to stay in monogamous relationships?

I'd still say that monogamy is a better model than polygamy, despite some big flaws. Polygamy has all the essential flaws of monogamy, and then some more. Jealousy will continue in polygamous relationships, because men will be men and will not be satisfied, even with a large number of spouses. If you want more than 1, why should you stop at 2? The same frustrations, disappointments etc will not magically disappear in polygamous relationships. The number only stops with your resources. There are few people who would be open to casual sex outside of the "harem." It's not so different from monogamy in that regard, because unhappiness, jealousy, and pain are going to happen no matter what you do. If you can't deal with unhappiness, jealousy, or pain, then you're probably not ready for a single relationship, let alone multiple.

Monogamy decreases violence and civil wars, since almost all men get a wife. Wealthy men are the ones who get several wives, while poor, low status men go without. The only way for these unmarried, poor men to raise their status is by becoming a source of civil unrest. Constantly dealing with those kinds of troubles is not the way to have law and order prevail. I remember Foucault suggesting somewhere that institutionalized monogamy is a way of controlling the populace, and I agree. Monogamy was created because it brought order. I think another reason is that it ensured that children have two parents, so that the state doesn't have to help support the children. Far from a perfect model, but better than polygamy.

Love is not passion, love is not desire, love is selfless and practical, but also extremely idealistic. When you love somebody because of the emotional support they provide, your emotional connection to them, the bond of love is created which is the essence of true love. This is true love in my opinion. Monogamy leads to stability, comfort and happiness if this type of love is practiced by two monogamous people who won't cheat or seek other partners. Cheating might be inevitable if they do not truly love each other, but not otherwise.

No system is perfect though. The most logical decision is to renounce all types of relationships, but we are illogical. You are right to doubt monogamy, but are wrong to assert that polygamous relationships are the answer, @Trance.

Voila! you got it! (you could have put it more convincingly though -- by contrasting with our other natural tendencies and how they're chained up to let societies flourish)

But fix your definition of love, please. It's too romantic and almost no one falls in that kind of love.

VagueClarity said:

If that's the case (suggesting a Spartan-type social structure), then you're advocating communism, which has been shown time and again not to work. Either society is forcing people to marry and provide financial support, meaning it's a communistic society, or the community as a whole provides financial support to aid in raising the children, in which case it's also a communistic society. Also, how do we determine who should be supporting who and who should get the child? If we were to go completely with the Spartan method of dealing with this, it would be an entirely male-dominated society, which means half the population is permanently disadvantaged and has their rights violated. This simply isn't a reasonable solution to the "problem." Rather, you're introducing more issues than this method would solve.

Answer: OLTR.

Works under our current economic system too.

Everyone seeks emotional connection when they interact meaningfully in society. It's simply what we do. Seeking emotional connection with more than one person does not necessarily mean you're neglecting that person--rather, it would be obnoxious and unnecessary to stay with them every moment of every day for the sake of a greater emotional connection.

You're saying that the neglect arises from thinking that you're neglecting the person. That's ridiculous. Neglect arises from consistently prioritizing others. If you don't do that, it doesn't matter what emotional intimacy you have with someone, you'll still prioritize your partner, by definition, and thus you will not neglect them.

It's not ridiculous. It is exactly how it does. As soon as you form connection with someone else, then through conditioning you are led to believe 'maybe I'm not in love with her (your wife)'. And that causes you to further slide down the other side of your marriage even though your love for your wife had not lessened one bit.

Numerous people have made arguments from the standpoint of love and emotions. You've repeatedly shot them down because you said you were talking about something more fundamental. If you're talking about something more fundamental than emotions, then talking about emotions is pointless and futile. I feel like your question, in this case, has already been answered, and therefore there's no purpose or benefit in continuing this discussion. My arguments excluded emotion and focused on the societal stances, social structures, physical risks, and evidence from past societies precisely because you asked us to exclude emotion. I could easily make a case for emotion's role in promoting monogamy, as many others already have.

No one did. Even Ozul chose to say only a little on it. He did put out the fragments, but he didn't connect them. But that works too.
Sep 1, 2016 1:22 PM

May 2015
UnpopularAnime said:

Nope, objectively. If you have a relationship with someone, in our culture it's automatically assumed that you are promising to not go out with anyone else. So if you do, especially without telling your first partner, you are lying.

But this is looking at it from an emotional and subjective point of view, which is not objective, and what we're not suppose to be doing.

how do you not look at cheating, love, and loyalty from an emotional point of view? well, that's what I would love to know. and apparently it's the one true quiz of the thread.

Trance said:

Here's a hint: Try tackling it from a conceptual point of view. First try finding the broader fallacies in my argument then refine (or redefine) the concept of love and then compare this concept with other humanly contrived emotions (no less real than more instinctual emotions) and see how they fit in our societies. If you do it right, you can make a strong case for the current monogamous setup.

search for more clues in your cereal box.

isn't polgamy suppose to be, uh, a mutual agreement sort of thing? how is it cheating by that point?

personally, i think the problem with polgamy is the legal issues. the divorce papers seem hella complicated when it's something designed for two people. Technically though, you are allowed to have open relationships with more than one person in most places right? I'm totally okay with open marriages, all legal complications aside, but cheating is the exact opposite of an open relationship..wut it's got to do with the original question.

I'm sending this message to Kellogg's of Trance Creek as we speak so I can find the true key.

edit: Well, I guess the shared quality between polygamy and cheating is obviously that you're devoting yourself and your resources(including time) to two individual people, above all else.
ashfrliebertSep 1, 2016 1:33 PM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Sep 1, 2016 1:49 PM

May 2016
@Trance

It's not ridiculous. It is exactly how it does. As soon as you form connection with someone else, then through conditioning you are led to believe 'maybe I'm not in love with her (your wife)'. And that causes you to further slide down the other side of your marriage even though your love for your wife had not lessened one bit.

Okay, not to be rude, but what world are you living in? Where I am, close friends are allowed. They don't intrude on marriage, because people understand that they are separate entities, one romantic and one platonic. If your society conditions you to believe that having a friendship is equal to cheating on your spouse, by all means destroy that society by any means necessary. But I don't know of any that does that.

Answer: OLTR.

Works under our current economic system too.

That's not true. In our current economic system, some open relationships can be maintained because the number of single parents caused by divorce or no-marriage relationships is already relatively high. If open relationships were the norm, with marriage being unnecessary, there would be many, many more single parents requiring financial assistance from the community as a whole. Additionally, as I already said before, there are physical risks associated with sex with multiple people, namely sexually transmitted diseases. Looking at recent history, it's fairly easy to see that in areas with high rates of that sort of behavior, sexually transmitted diseases were also significantly more widespread. And any person who thinks it's not wrong to spread such diseases needs serious therapy to restore a somewhat acceptable mental state. We don't need more of that in the world. Also, if you're going to say that what's wrong and what's right is purely subjective, please keep in mind that that argument can also be applied to not imprisoning serial killers and rapists, because they would obviously argue that it's going along with their own morality. Sure, it might be subjective, but at some point we have, as a society and as decent people, to draw the line.

Also, about the answer to why it's wrong, why is the only answer you've accepted one that relates to love and emotions? I do think that my arguments also provided valid reasons to maintain a monogamous culture, despite my avoidance of anything regarding emotions except in my replies. There isn't only one reason why it's wrong, at least in my view.
Sep 1, 2016 1:56 PM

Mar 2008
VagueClarity said:
Okay, not to be rude, but what world are you living in? Where I am, close friends are allowed. They don't intrude on marriage, because people understand that they are separate entities, one romantic and one platonic. If your society conditions you to believe that having a friendship is equal to cheating on your spouse, by all means destroy that society by any means necessary. But I don't know of any that does that.

He is from Pakistan... take a guess.
Sep 1, 2016 2:04 PM

Nov 2015
VagueClarity said:

What I meant was: Even before the stage of sexual union comes, the mere fact that you're romantically and emotionally attracted to someone else will lure you into thinking you've lost your feeling for your wife -- when you actually haven't.

Context matters.

That's not true. In our current economic system, some open relationships can be maintained because the number of single parents caused by divorce or no-marriage relationships is already relatively high. If open relationships were the norm, with marriage being unnecessary, there would be many, many more single parents requiring financial assistance from the community as a whole. Additionally, as I already said before, there are physical risks associated with sex with multiple people, namely sexually transmitted diseases. Looking at recent history, it's fairly easy to see that in areas with high rates of that sort of behavior, sexually transmitted diseases were also significantly more widespread. And any person who thinks it's not wrong to spread such diseases needs serious therapy to restore a somewhat acceptable mental state. We don't need more of that in the world. Also, if you're going to say that what's wrong and what's right is purely subjective, please keep in mind that that argument can also be applied to not imprisoning serial killers and rapists, because they would obviously argue that it's going along with their own morality. Sure, it might be subjective, but at some point we have, as a society and as decent people, to draw the line.

Prostitution is not being advocated here. Careful, calculated, relationships are.

Also, about the answer to why it's wrong, why is the only answer you've accepted one that relates to love and emotions? I do think that my arguments also provided valid reasons to maintain a monogamous culture, despite my avoidance of anything regarding emotions except in my replies. There isn't only one reason why it's wrong, at least in my view.

Because your answer builds up upon the current paradigm. An external attack is required. You cannot make a good argument from within when the structure itself is under scrutiny.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Today

15 by zzz »»
3 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - Yesterday

16 by Adverrito »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk?

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

20 by KenaiPhoenix »»
19 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Today

26 by KenaiPhoenix »»
19 minutes ago

» What hobbies, skills, or common views do you wish a significant other had?

IpreferEcchi - 9 hours ago

9 by 0arche »»
59 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.