Forum Settings
Forums

Did you ever liked a character that everyone else hates?

New
Aug 27, 2016 3:23 PM

Jul 2015
A character that you really liked, more like a favorite character, that seems to be disliked by a lot of people.
Did it happen to you?
Which character? Do you think there is a good reason for the hate?

I guess for me it's Near from Death Note. But I do understand why people hate him.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 27, 2016 3:26 PM
Feb 2016
I wouldn't say he's hated (except by Gigguk, maybe) but Jacuzzi Splot needs way more love, the dude's amazing.

Gigguk only disliked him because of his VA in the dub... it seems that all of Daisuke Sakaguchi's roles get annoying VA's in the dubs...
Aug 27, 2016 3:27 PM

Feb 2013
near has two fucking thousand favourites :V

anyway, >caring about what this ambiguous entity known as "everyone else" "hates"
shiggity diggity
Aug 27, 2016 3:29 PM

Nov 2008
Pretty much every straight love interest who "gets in the way of everyone's gay, badly matched OTP.

I would start a fanclub for them. XD

Casca is my favourite character from Berserk.

Casca gets hate? o_o

Aug 27, 2016 3:30 PM

Feb 2013
Used to like Sakura from Naruto (then Kishi threw her development to the thrash)

I also like Armin from snk and I think is one of the best characters of the show.

Aug 27, 2016 3:30 PM

Aug 2016
I liked Seryu from Akame ga Kill as a concept for a character. I feel that her personality could have been better developed though (everyone's personality should have been better developed really).
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Aug 27, 2016 3:31 PM

May 2015
I really liked Job Truniht from LOGH. He was truly a despicable character and I get why he is hated but I admired him, because he doesn't fear anyone and always says what is on his mind, no matter who he is talking to.

Aug 27, 2016 3:31 PM

Jul 2015
romagia said:

I know, but I saw a lot of Near hate!
Btw, look at other Death Note characters favorites, a lot more than Near.
Aug 27, 2016 3:35 PM

Feb 2013
Kotoh said:
romagia said:

I know, but I saw a lot of Near hate!
Btw, look at other Death Note characters favorites, a lot more than Near.
proportional to the screen time i guess
near has more favs than misa and mello
Aug 27, 2016 3:42 PM
Aug 2016
Shinji when i've first seen Evangelion (i was young), but some years later i re-watched it and oh man!...it is by far the most annoying character i've seen in anime, just because (in the original anime) he never fkn man's up!!! It goes to the point when it stops being credible as a character and after that i almost got depression, just by watching him! (Still my favorite anime though=))
Aug 27, 2016 3:43 PM

Oct 2014
Shoegum said:
I wouldn't say he's hated (except by Gigguk, maybe) but Jacuzzi Splot needs way more love, the dude's amazing.

Gigguk only disliked him because of his VA in the dub... it seems that all of Daisuke Sakaguchi's roles get annoying VA's in the dubs...

jaccuzi is hated?
him becoming a badass in the second half is one the most awesome moments in baccano
Aug 27, 2016 3:44 PM

Jul 2015
Shinji from EVA, never understood all the hate, he always went to the mech, and only was struggling with getting only like 4 times
Sup...
Aug 27, 2016 3:47 PM

Mar 2016
I legit liked Shou Tucker and Sugou Nobuyuki.

The first because I hated FMA anyways and the second because he was kinda funny.
Aug 27, 2016 3:48 PM

Nov 2008
SenpaiJay98 said:
Shinji from EVA, never understood all the hate, he always went to the mech, and only was struggling with getting only like 4 times

Shinji is a big one. I think people hate him more because of how the anime is paced; like too much screentime is given to him angsting and they don't like that.

Upon rewatching the series (through the new movies), he behaves VERY realistically for a 14-year-old with crappy upbringing.

Aug 27, 2016 3:48 PM
Aug 2016
SenpaiJay98 said:
=DD I answered your question in my answer, but it's not only the mech it's that he was passive and bitching in almost every relation with every other character (in the original anime only). I found it quite refreshing the lift-up he got in the Rebuilds, now i love him again and i felt he became a "credible" character again.
Aug 27, 2016 3:50 PM

Jul 2013
Nope, I like a lot of characters everyone else hates. The list consists in:

And I think that is the complete list. In the most of cases, it's just people hates evil characters. Others, they find those characters annoying for x reason. Others, people just hate for the most stupids of the reasons. Anyway, they have shit taste, so...
IllyricusAug 29, 2016 3:13 AM
Aug 27, 2016 3:53 PM
Aug 2016
Chiibi said:
SenpaiJay98 said:

Shinji is a big one. I think people hate him more because of how the anime is paced; like too much screentime is given to him angsting and they don't like that.

Upon rewatching the series (through the new movies), he behaves VERY realistically for a 14-year-old with crappy upbringing.
HE LIVES IN AN HAREM! HE SHOULD FKN MAN UP!!! (But yeah if you think about the age it is not realistic...but the thing is no one cares about his age, the people seeing the anime at the time identified with him according to "their" view of life, and even if there were many similarities, in the end, he was over-depressing, even for a 16 yo kid.
Aug 27, 2016 3:56 PM

Jul 2013
Chiibi said:
Illyricus said:

-Chiyo from Prison School

:(

I like Chiyo too. It's refreshing to have a girl from that show who's not a COMPLETE BITCH amirte?
In fact, Chiyo is not my favourite girl of the series, but she hasn't doing anything wrong to be hated
but, well, shipping wars are always unfair >_>

Kotoh said:
Illyricus said:

-Kyubey from Madoka

Kyubey is waifu 4 lifu.

I really did like him
I think he along with Sayaka were the ones who carried the show. His design and voice acting were good too. Hell, without him we wouldn't have had any plot to begin with.
IllyricusAug 27, 2016 4:03 PM
Aug 27, 2016 3:58 PM

Mar 2016
Illyricus said:
Nope, I like a lot of characters everyone else hates. The list consists in:

And I think that is the complete list. In the most of cases, it's just people hates evil characters. Others, they find those characters annoying for x reason. Others, people just hate for the most stupid reason. Anyway, they have shit taste, so...

What kind of savage man are you? Who can like both Priscilla and Orihime at once? Sacrilege.

Didn't know people hated Mimasaka tho. That guy is legit awesome and featured in one of the best Japanese raps to date.
Aug 27, 2016 4:02 PM

Jul 2013
TheDeadApostle said:
What kind of savage man are you? Who can like both Priscilla and Orihime at once? Sacrilege.

Didn't know people hated Mimasaka tho. That guy is legit awesome and featured in one of the best Japanese raps to date.
Priscilla was really awesome. Apart of having one of the best Awakened Being designs along with Isley, her backstory was really tragic and well done, apart of explaining well why she became the monster she was. And her fights were really cool.
As for Orihime, well, I like her design and bubbly personality. The fact that the fandom hated her that much made me like her even more.

People hates Mimasaka because he rekted their Italian bishie. In truth, his stalker method is actually very awesome, he was actually menacing and that rap was 10/10.
Aug 27, 2016 4:54 PM

Jul 2015
Shoegum said:

People tend to dislike Shinji from NGE and Yukki from Mirai Nikki but they're realistic and that's why I like them
If you had daddy issues while trying to save the world, you'd be acting just like them
Aug 27, 2016 5:51 PM

May 2016
I like Irisu from Hyouka. I can understand the hate in the film arc, but she was redeemed during the festival.
Aqua could be annoying at times but since it is part of her character I can't say she deserves the hate.

Amarty from Spice and Wolf isn't as bad as other people say. I hated him when watching, but looking back he deserved a little less hate (I still dislike him though)
I think Subaru is annoying at time, but he isn't the worse character in the show that title goes to someone else (no it is not Juilius). By the way I think Juilius gets too much hate.
Based on some thread, there are way too many people who hate Emilia. Those people are still clingy to their sunken ship.
TakenMalUsernameAug 27, 2016 5:55 PM
Aug 27, 2016 5:52 PM

Jun 2015
Yes, and i still like him. Kaiki Deishuu from monogatari.
Aug 27, 2016 6:03 PM

Jul 2013
Alluzard said:
I wouldn't say Kaiki is exactly hated. People could had hate him in Nisemonogatari, but after Second Season, he became one of the most popular characters of the series.
Aug 27, 2016 6:25 PM
Jul 2018
I like both Shinji and Asuka from NGE but they both get a lot of hate.
Aug 27, 2016 6:28 PM

Jan 2016
I like the "fat fuck" (other people's words) from Accel World. He's probably one of my top 20- ish male characters of all time....

And oh, also Shinji and Asuka of NGE.

Well those are just the main ones...
Aug 27, 2016 6:29 PM
Jul 2018
Dr. Ver from Symphogear. Everyone hates him and says he's a generic comic book villain. I think he's amusing.
Aug 27, 2016 6:33 PM

Jan 2015
I don't know how many people on here like Jessie and James from Team Rocket. But they are my favorite characters from the Pokemon franchise, even moreso than the main characters. Also I know a lot of people don't like Sakura from Naruto. I like her. She turned from useless ass ninja into a badass in three seconds flat.
All my other favorite characters seem to have a pretty decent fan base.
Aug 27, 2016 6:38 PM

Apr 2016
At least for most part in season 1, I kinda enjoyed Nena Trinity from Gundam 00, especially her introduction and how beautiful she is. Too bad she blows up a church for childish reasons and just does jack for season 2 other than having a few laughing scenes until she's killed. Reminds me of Kirei in UBW in that last regard. The only cool thing she did after season 1 was basically go all Death Star scene Han Solo on those assholes working for Ribbons and helped or Setsuna and Co.

She could've been great is what I'm saying, but at least I enjoyed her from time to time, despite her being often considered one of the most hated Gundam characters in existence. Then again, everyone sucks ass in Gundam 00 Second Season.

All of my actual favorites are well beloved characters so I had to go one which I kinda liked at points.
Aug 27, 2016 6:39 PM

Jul 2015
Re-l from Ergo Proxy. I love how she marches to the beat of her own drum and isn't afraid to speak her mind. Apparently some people find her aggressive and mean, but I think it's refreshing to have a female character who isn't compliant and demure.

Aug 27, 2016 6:41 PM

Dec 2012
Sometimes I feel like the last person on Earth who likes Kirito non-ironically while not self-inserting into him. It just seems like he's always dismissed as a wish fulfillment blank check, never mind that there's an entire story attached to him.
Aug 27, 2016 6:43 PM

Jun 2016
Kagami from Kuroko no basket, to be honest he isn't really that hated but he's not as popular compared to other characters in the show.
Aug 27, 2016 6:44 PM

Mar 2016
JonhyBot said:
Shinji when i've first seen Evangelion (i was young), but some years later i re-watched it and oh man!...it is by far the most annoying character i've seen in anime, just because (in the original anime) he never fkn man's up!!! It goes to the point when it stops being credible as a character and after that i almost got depression, just by watching him! (Still my favorite anime though=))

That's the entire point of his character tho. Put the weight of the world on the shoulders of a mentally unstable, neglected, unloved, 13 year old coward.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Aug 27, 2016 6:59 PM
Jul 2018
There is one guy on my list...……
Aug 27, 2016 7:00 PM

Feb 2014
Iori from Kokoro Connect. She tbh carried the show for me. She was an extremely flawed character, which the show spared no effort in pointing out, making her feel a lot more human compared to the rest of the main characters.
VhailorAug 27, 2016 7:03 PM
Aug 27, 2016 7:08 PM

Sep 2013
I remember loving Sakura as a kid LMAO

BUT YEAH I REALLY LOVE SHINJI THO OMG he deserves so much love y'all
ShoAug 28, 2016 12:04 AM
Aug 27, 2016 7:13 PM

Nov 2014
Alluzard said:

Everyone loves Kaiki man, he's best girl.
Aug 28, 2016 5:13 PM

Jun 2015
Touniouk said:
Alluzard said:

I think he has so many haters too. until they watch Monogatari second series and he is a guy, not girl.
Aug 28, 2016 5:17 PM

Nov 2008
Ratohnhaketon said:
Sometimes I feel like the last person on Earth who likes Kirito non-ironically while not self-inserting into him. It just seems like he's always dismissed as a wish fulfillment blank check, never mind that there's an entire story attached to him.

I ADORE HIM

But the only reason I didn't mention him is cause he has over 2,000 favorites. XD His haters are simply more vocal.....but he gets plenty of love still.

Aug 28, 2016 5:21 PM

Mar 2015
Byakuya from Bleach honestly don't get why some people hate him.
Aug 28, 2016 5:21 PM

Feb 2016
I saw a lot of people hating on Ciel and Alois from Kuroshitsuji and I actually liked them both
Aug 28, 2016 5:29 PM
Jul 2018
Takamiya honoka the mc from witch craft works. They hate him because (mostly) because he refused to kiss a girl but instead kissed her on the forehead which was funny to me also he is willing to sacrifice himself for the greater good without hesitation which is nice :L.

It wasn't one of those "I'll save everyone" type fag scenario he knew had to choose between being selfish or being selfless and he chose the selfless route.
removed-userAug 28, 2016 5:33 PM
Aug 28, 2016 5:31 PM

Jul 2009
Ami from Toradora was the first character in my mind, though she's more love-hate honestly
Aug 28, 2016 5:39 PM
May 2015
Well, one of my all-time favourite anime characters is Armin from Shingeki no Kyojin, so yeah.
Aug 28, 2016 5:40 PM

Jul 2012
it's orihime inoue from bleach haha :')
Aug 28, 2016 7:52 PM

Oct 2014
Alluzard said:
Touniouk said:

I think he has so many haters too. until they watch Monogatari second series and he is a guy, not girl.

how can anyone hate kaiki?
he carries alone the shitness that is nisemonogatari and makes it something worth the watch
Aug 28, 2016 9:47 PM

May 2009
Yes. I think at the very least many people do.

ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα.

συκεροκυ™

Aug 28, 2016 9:51 PM

Feb 2015
Aug 28, 2016 9:54 PM

Aug 2013
I think Mayoi Hachikuji is really hated in the fandom, but I like her a lot. I mean, she's not top tier, of course, but I find her scenes really enjoyable.
I have to say I kinda understand why is she hated, but I just don't find her that annoying.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2016 9:58 PM

May 2015
Maybe Murano from Kiseijuu. I think her attitude is kinda natural, but why everybody else hate her so much?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

159 by TitanOfPlasma »»
17 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 3 hours ago

11 by Takuya_Yagami »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - 3 hours ago

12 by APolygons2 »»
25 minutes ago

Poll: » slut vs prude waifus

deg - Yesterday

30 by LoveLikeBlood »»
27 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 31 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.