Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 26, 2016 11:14 AM

Feb 2016
I want to watch it but I dropped it after one episode, I'd like for someone to tell me the good points to the series. Also the order of which I should watch it, because I won't go in confused like with haruhi.
Aug 26, 2016 11:18 AM

Dec 2015
Its random but its also dialogue heavy. Like the talking is just endless. If u dont mind that u will enjoy it :p
Also Shinobu is bae
Aug 26, 2016 11:19 AM

Apr 2016
this reddit thread will show you the broadcast order which you should watch in

i'm currently watching the monogatari series, just about to start hanamonogatari, and i'll tell you that it's not definitely not everyone's cup of tea. it's based around characters and their interactions, such as dialogue. it's got a bit of romance and an interesting story, among other things, but the character and their interactions are the highlights of the series, i'd say.
Aug 26, 2016 11:19 AM

Feb 2016
good dialogue, if you know what I mean ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2016 11:27 AM
Aug 2015
Finished Monogatari just 2 days ago and it's basically "Pointless conversations: the anime". It's incredibly pretentious, which is apparent from the first few seconds due to its overused style. I can't say that I didn't enjoy it at all, however by the end you feel as if you wasted your time because nothing really happens throughout those 15 episodes. Yes, you get to meet a few characters and watch/hear them chat, and that's it. It's basically all talk, and has little to no substance.

Araragi's overreacting about stupid things, Senjougahara acting all stoic and "sarcastic", Hanekawa's main role being fanservice (that fucking last OP man...) and acting bland as fuck also makes it difficult to like them.
Aug 26, 2016 11:34 AM

Nov 2014
-Character growth and interactions
-Best girl arguments

Watch it in the order it aired.
Aug 26, 2016 12:07 PM

May 2014
Fanservice

I personally really enjoyed the characters and comedy, and the plot isn't predictable. Also Ougi is life
Aug 26, 2016 12:09 PM

Jul 2014
It's a harem disguised as mystery/romance. They aren't fooling anyone though.
Aug 26, 2016 12:10 PM

Aug 2008
It has the best toothbrush scene.

It's harem deconstruction.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 26, 2016 12:18 PM

Nov 2015
There are massive allusions to psychological and theological concepts if you know where to notice them. Monogatari series teases at least 10-20 themes in every arc. It's not just pointless dialogue.

Basically, it's not for unintelligent, low IQ, people like you.
Aug 26, 2016 12:33 PM

Feb 2013
On_the_Lam said:
Finished Monogatari just 2 days ago and it's basically "Pointless conversations: the anime". It's incredibly pretentious, which is apparent from the first few seconds due to its overused style. I can't say that I didn't enjoy it at all, however by the end you feel as if you wasted your time because nothing really happens throughout those 15 episodes. Yes, you get to meet a few characters and watch/hear them chat, and that's it. It's basically all talk, and has little to no substance.

Araragi's overreacting about stupid things, Senjougahara acting all stoic and "sarcastic", Hanekawa's main role being fanservice (that fucking last OP man...) and acting bland as fuck also makes it difficult to like them.
this post just needs the word deconstruction and it has the full buzzword harem
Aug 26, 2016 12:33 PM

May 2015
Hitagi Senjougahara.

It's an anime that directly focuses on storytelling. It's like reading a book, but with pictures drawn to add to the story. It may be dialogue-heavy, but if you pay attention well, it's actually very interesting and does a good job with building up the tension.
Aug 26, 2016 12:36 PM

May 2016
Keep watching it. it is amazing. I was always wondering why it was good and why they had 10 seasons of it and finally watched it and was holy shit, this is amazing. one of the best I've ever seen.
Aug 26, 2016 12:39 PM

Nov 2014
YayaChibi said:
Watch it from kizumonogatari. Then it will make sense and get better....lol
Who watches from Kizu? Only 1/3rd of it is out yet and it makes references to the rest of the series which you won't get if you start from there.
Aug 26, 2016 12:40 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
It has the most epic toothbrush scene you'll ever see. Also lolis and imoutism. And some rather interesting quirky artwork. That's about all the good things I can mention though. 90% of the show is just dialogue
Aug 26, 2016 12:46 PM
May 2015
I guess you don't enjoy great storytelling...
Aug 26, 2016 12:47 PM

Mar 2013
to be honest i only enjoyed the first season and even then the story started to fall of by ep 7
Aug 26, 2016 12:48 PM

Jul 2015
I got into it a few days ago and I'm already at the second season. It has:

-Actual funny humor which is quite rare in anime.

-Good dialogue at times.

-Unique visuals -in a good way-

-Some really well-crafted and written scenes.

Unfortunately it also has:

-Low detail and imo sometimes ugly art.

-Stretches of not-so-good dialogue where boredom ensues.

-Scenes that are too strange for their own good and some scenes that feel kind of pointless.

The music is a bit hit-and-miss with some really good tunes and some very forgettable ones.

I mainly watch it for the cinematography which keeps on surprising.
Aug 26, 2016 12:50 PM

Feb 2013
Go read a review from a decent source instead of asking people here who mostly won't respond with any besides vague points.
Aug 26, 2016 12:51 PM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
It's probably the best dialogue driven series there is. The lore is very interesting and perfectly makes what a supernatural mystery show should be. Has a very strong sense of character development and Shaft's obscure artstyle and animation have pretty much made it one of the best looking anime as well.
People who say it's either boring or tedious just because of it's heavy dialogue cannot fully appreciate how great it really is.

"𝚃𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚖𝚒𝚡 𝚍𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚔𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎 𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚜."
☆ 𝙰𝚗𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝙻𝚒𝚜𝚝 ☆
☆ 𝚅𝙽𝙳𝚋 ☆
☆ 𝙱𝚊𝚌𝚔𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚢 ☆
Aug 26, 2016 12:57 PM

Jan 2013
Some of the openings, and that's about it.
Aug 26, 2016 1:02 PM

Oct 2014
First, the characters are great: great designs, great personalities.
Second, the background art.

That's mainly it.
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Aug 26, 2016 1:04 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
this should be able to answer you question.... if not i can't help you...

Aug 26, 2016 1:07 PM

Jan 2014
Kaiki is best girl of the series, enough said.
Aug 26, 2016 1:11 PM

Jul 2013
Has well-written characters with good personalities, good dialogues and conversations, entertaining interactions and character development, good and weird visuals, original opening/ending themes, a soundtrack who fits the series well, good comedy and top tier waifus.
IllyricusAug 26, 2016 1:15 PM
Aug 26, 2016 1:13 PM

Apr 2014
The plot and all the sub-plots are amazingly well told.
The characters are great and well developed.
The comedy is on point.
The character interactions are probably the best thing about the show.
The animation can be amazing at times.
The soundtrack is also good.

If you don't like dialogue driven shows, I wouldn't recommend you to keep watching. There's also fanservice, so if that's somehow a turn off to you, yeah.

Order: Air order

Bakemonogatari
Nisemonogatari
Nekomonogatari: Kuro
Monogatari Second Season
Hanamonogatari
Tsukimonogatari
Owarimonogatari
Koyomimonogatari
Kizumonogatari
Aug 26, 2016 1:14 PM
Mar 2014
Illyricus said:
Has well-written characters with good personalities, entertaining interactions and character development, good and weird visuals, original opening/ending themes, a soundtrack who fits the series well, good comedy and top tier waifus.

compatibilityyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Aug 26, 2016 1:15 PM

Jul 2013
omfgplzstop said:
Illyricus said:
Has well-written characters with good personalities, entertaining interactions and character development, good and weird visuals, original opening/ending themes, a soundtrack who fits the series well, good comedy and top tier waifus.

compatibilityyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Compatibility doesn't lie, baby ;)
Aug 26, 2016 1:19 PM

Mar 2014
It's fan service is actually hot which is pretty rare.
The dialogue is intriguing at times, but sometimes it doesn't seem relevant to anything
Kaiki is a fantastic character
Most of the characters are pretty good tbh
I like the art style
Some of te best character designs
Individual stories are analogous to psychological issues if you're into that kind of thing
And yes, it does have abstract symbolism despite what a lot of the haters like to believe

Unfortunately, a story about an LN protagonist wandering around and meeting a bunch of girls who want to fuck him is not very interesting to me, and it means most of the dialogue is sexually charged and the characterization can feel lopsided and artificial because of it.
Aug 26, 2016 1:19 PM

Apr 2015
Lot of uneeded talking, above average characters, obtuse directing style, (I hate it at times) idealogical rants etc. It's kinda quirky but if you don't like the first episode or the first season don't bother with the rest.

Note: If you say it has witty/good dialogue and use the example like "puns" I'll kill you. It doesn't.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 26, 2016 1:22 PM

May 2015
It's unique, never seen something like it

I did put it on hold several times though cause it was somewhat hard to understand what was going on
"Because people don't have wings.. We look for ways to fly."
Sep 3, 2016 7:56 PM

Jun 2014
Nah it's just ecchi harem Anime, but in another level...
Sep 9, 2016 10:47 AM
Jul 2016
after completing this series (actually 2 momths ago) i was like WTF someone came out of no where and sliced our main hero into alot of pieces and horrable subs this anime was more like a manga slide show i will never watch such a anime series i swear ohh if you are reading this post i will recomm you Nisekoi you will enjoy this series
"if you dont want to get depressed skip this anime "
Dec 7, 2020 9:51 PM
Jul 2018
On_the_Lam said:

I understand that too. Bakemonogatari was a little boring for me.
When I started watching the series further I came a realization. This is not Anime. This is just narration of a masterpiece light novel series.
The thing that makes it so good is ideological conflicts, self doubt, hatred. The main character himself have all the qualities of a bad guy in some normal anime. And one of those things is selflessness. Which he overcome in the end of Owarimonogatari.

There are many things like this, araragi seeing the different side of people he met (zoku owarimonogatari), oikura spending her youth believing in a lie, hanekawa developing constant stress by being fair and vituous, and many more things like this. We see how all of the characters overcome obstacles which are not outside but inside.

two more points -
- best girls
- wisdom of Oshino Meme

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 3, 2009

510 by deem0n »»
6 hours ago

» Watch Order 2024?

GoCrayzee - Jan 27

26 by gauravb28 »»
Today, 5:48 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

loghneckbeard - Jun 25, 2010

518 by wimpis »»
Apr 21, 6:15 AM

» Renai Circulation ost

DexterDrubo - Apr 19

5 by hsayal »»
Apr 21, 1:07 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 17, 2009

357 by kagamiiin »»
Apr 19, 7:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.