Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 23, 2016 6:54 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Drinking and relaxing. Past memory of previous dragons users? Even though they are different, their personalities are similar. Yellow dragon's power is quick recovery, huh. The king is kind especially to yellow dragon because he might know what he will feel later(?). It's hard to have the power, though, to be called monster.

Only he among dragons stayed with the weakened king but he died later.

TV ED2 as ED!!
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 24, 2016 9:34 PM

Oct 2014
that was adapted perfectly ! it's starting out just as sad as i remembered it to be lol

and all anime-only's who've seen akatsuki no yona and have been wondering about zeno's powers and past, you have a lot to look forward to (?)!
but i can't wait for the second part to this ova :( dec 20..

anyways, i love the similarities that the old dragons have with the current ones. especially with abi and shin-ah!

it's also nice to see king hiryuu also participate in these wars with the dragons and be a very respectable king, and not just some king that sits around and orders his army around :)
Aug 25, 2016 9:43 AM
Mar 2013
I woke up and saw this in the morning... Aaaaand I sobbed like a little baby. This was truly emotional and Zeno's backstory was truly the saddest, and almost relatable too. Although I do enjoy the light moments AnY provides, the serious and grimmer parts of the series grabs my attention more and provides depth to it. Really enjoyed this OVA, I wonder what the last OVA will provide. (Hopefully a season 2 announcement but I doubt it).
Aug 25, 2016 10:06 AM

Sep 2015
poor Zeno ;_:

this was a really good and emotional episode.
Aug 25, 2016 11:12 AM

Jun 2014
What a touching episode! The backstory of the dragons and especially Zeno's was heartbreaking.

Can't wait for the final episode in December!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Aug 25, 2016 1:41 PM

Aug 2015
I just wished this wasn't put as an OVA, but rather in the actual anime. This felt like such a throw off way to get Zeno's past out there by not patiently building up to it. Since he was the dragon to join their group the fastest and in the strangest way too, it made the mystery surrounding him that much larger. And since Zeno's story also gives us a little peek into King Hiryuu's life, someone important to the show overall (if Yona's likeness to him has any say in it), Zeno's story deserved to be treated as something more than essentially ''side-episodes'' since it's so important.

Or maybe it's because I read the manga that this felt off? Either way, the episode itself was great, I just don't it as an OVA.
...At least let me finish.

Aug 25, 2016 2:24 PM

May 2015
At the first part I was like aww some HakxYona moments but then the flashback kicked and omg.

Poor Yellow dragon, I never imagined he was this powerful and also his power was immortality, how sad it should had been see the other dragons die and reincarnate.
Aug 25, 2016 4:45 PM

Apr 2014
This is why Zeno is my favorite dragon out of the four

Aug 25, 2016 6:08 PM

Jun 2016
omg this was just perfect!!! Jeez I am crying! Since I have been reading the manga for soo long, I kind of forgort what there voices were like! Although I really like the manga, a well adapted anime seams so much better because of voice acting and ost...

How I wish they would have put this in season two instead of an oav.... do anyone know if there will be a season 2?, there is enough material in now...
Aug 25, 2016 11:16 PM

Sep 2014
Didn't expect it will be Zeno Arc. The manga one was quite sad enough for me. Watching this episode makes me shred my tears.
Aug 26, 2016 10:53 AM

Oct 2011
Zeno past omfg😭😭 ahhhhhhhh
Aug 26, 2016 7:23 PM
Dec 2014
the episode started out to be light hearted and funny but took a dark turn when zeno's past was revealed and no i am not okay right now I'm crying bc zENO MY POOR CHILD;;
Aug 28, 2016 5:34 AM

May 2014
I'm always about to cry whenever I hear that ED song. This series is too good...
Aug 28, 2016 3:14 PM
Sep 2014
I cried :( why is this series so good?! I wish we could get a second season
The manga is great but MAN do I love the anime adaptations. The music was great this time; loved to hear the first opening and the second ending songs.
Anyway, I will continue drowning in my own tears.

Aug 28, 2016 6:47 PM

Nov 2011
Really happy to see Zeno background story. His role from the first season was very underwhelming so seeing him of him animated was good.

The first few minutes of this episode was also quite amusing.
Aug 29, 2016 3:09 PM

Dec 2014
Zeno memories.... poor zeno....being immortal maybe is in itself a curse
Aug 30, 2016 7:52 PM

Aug 2015
ZENNNOOOO OMMMGGG :'( :'(
Ara Ara~
Aug 31, 2016 2:09 AM
Dec 2015
King SooWon and King Hiryuu are so alike well except for the hair though! both are so HANDSOME!! ♥♥
before ALice got to WonderLand she had to falL!

Aug 31, 2016 11:40 AM

Oct 2015
omg I cried so very hard, my poor Zeno ;-;
Sep 1, 2016 11:27 PM

Mar 2016
I never knew Zeno suffered so much and he looks so happy it hurts so much T_T
Sep 4, 2016 12:53 AM

Nov 2007
This episode was adapted almost flawlessly. If this is touching to non-manga readers I am wondering how would they take the story of Zeno's

If you guys ever get to read this comment then know that if you thought the anime was a 7/10 or an 8/10, you would find the manga to be a 10/10 or an 11/10.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Sep 4, 2016 7:21 AM

Dec 2015
As a manga reader, let me say a few things...

tsubasalover said:
Past memory of previous dragons users? Even though they are different, their personalities are similar. Yellow dragon's power is quick recovery, huh.

The first dragon users, actually. And on Zeno's power:

axlorg8 said:
I woke up and saw this in the morning... Aaaaand I sobbed like a little baby. This was truly emotional and Zeno's backstory was truly the saddest, and almost relatable too. Although I do enjoy the light moments AnY provides, the serious and grimmer parts of the series grabs my attention more and provides depth to it. Really enjoyed this OVA, I wonder what the last OVA will provide. (Hopefully a season 2 announcement but I doubt it).

Pretty much how I feel about AkaYona in general ^^

Starisametaphor said:
I just wished this wasn't put as an OVA, but rather in the actual anime. This felt like such a throw off way to get Zeno's past out there by not patiently building up to it. Since he was the dragon to join their group the fastest and in the strangest way too, it made the mystery surrounding him that much larger. And since Zeno's story also gives us a little peek into King Hiryuu's life, someone important to the show overall (if Yona's likeness to him has any say in it), Zeno's story deserved to be treated as something more than essentially ''side-episodes'' since it's so important.

Or maybe it's because I read the manga that this felt off? Either way, the episode itself was great, I just don't it as an OVA.

I wholly agree. For anime-only fans: the anime stopped around chapter 44 of the manga; Zeno's arc is chapter 100-103. The fact that they skipped so much of the manga and animated Zeno's arc (which I hear is by the mangaka's request, when asked what chapters to adapt into an OVA) makes AkaYona fans think that a second season is very unlikely. They chose to adapt one of the most important arcs, after all.

Also, on the reveal:

OrangeJP said:
This is why Zeno is my favorite dragon out of the four

Same. After Zeno's arc he became my favorite too.

shanimebib said:
This episode was adapted almost flawlessly. If this is touching to non-manga readers I am wondering how would they take the story of Zeno's

If you guys ever get to read this comment then know that if you thought the anime was a 7/10 or an 8/10, you would find the manga to be a 10/10 or an 11/10.

I can't wait for it tbh :D

Honestly, I'm still a little miffed they skipped over everything to bring us Zeno's arc. I liked the buildup and how they revealed Zeno's power in the manga :/ but yay for HakYona moments! I'll always hold out hope for a second season, no matter how slim I know it is. Also, love that they used ED2, Shikata Akiko is one of my three reasons for starting AkaYona in the first place.

Protect this smile please :')

Edit: emphasis and added some stuff
starlightshineSep 4, 2016 7:26 AM
Sep 4, 2016 7:55 AM

Nov 2007
starlightshine said:
The first dragon users, actually. And on Zeno's power:
I wasn't sure they are the "first", so I said "previous". Thank you for confirming.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 4, 2016 12:50 PM

May 2014
Zeno you poor baby! ;^;
Sep 5, 2016 11:17 PM

Aug 2016
I cried when Zeno cried ;-; ... It's so sad, I wanna read the manga again.

Sep 10, 2016 2:00 PM

Jul 2014
Nice back-story.
Sep 18, 2016 7:26 AM

Apr 2013
Awesome backstory for Zeno. Such a great character, love him! Pretty emotional past~ Feelz. Want a s2..
Sep 18, 2016 10:24 PM

Dec 2012
lol Did Hak just tell the story of Gay Bulge and Raw Anus?

Damn. DAT BACKSTORY!
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Oct 1, 2016 4:49 AM

Mar 2012
I couldn't help but think about Shinou, Daikenja and the four keys when I watched this. It was so similar! This was more emotional though.

I didn't like Zeno when he first made his appearance mainly because he seemed like a brat plus he was blond but watching this really changed my opinion of Zeno.
Dec 2, 2016 12:16 AM

May 2010
This was supposed to be really epic in the manga, but the sequence is incorrect...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 8, 2017 4:30 AM

Sep 2016
zeno has the best back story
all dragon power probably vanish at the end of story so zeno can finally die without being the villain of fairy tail XD
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 10, 2017 10:29 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Amazing. Zeno's past is one of the saddest i've seen in some time.

Having to endure every pain without being able to die and seeing your ''family'' go, i can't imagine anything worse.
Jan 14, 2017 5:29 AM

Apr 2015
Just Watched this shit.

I cried.
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Jan 18, 2017 3:06 PM

Jan 2012
nearbaskara said:
Just Watched this shit.

I cried.

lol and why would you cry?

ot: i think this is first time we see previous dragon warriors , not even in manga

Feb 2, 2017 9:40 AM

May 2015
Well, this kind of power (bascily immortality) is blessing and curse.

Poor Zeno.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Feb 2, 2017 10:57 PM

Oct 2012
So, he's immortal huh
Pretty OP
I guess he just want to get old and die normally like his friends

Poor Zeno :(
"Signature removed"
Mar 10, 2017 3:38 AM

Sep 2016
damn they really amped up the violence and gore here when they arent restricted by TV restrictions
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Apr 14, 2017 4:14 PM

Jul 2012
Fuck.

That was incredible. I have no words. Amazing.

I almost cried at the end.

Apr 25, 2017 4:35 AM

Feb 2009
Damnit, I had to swallow my tears.
May 23, 2017 7:41 PM

May 2015
A much-needed Zeno backstory episode/OVA centric... and man it was sad AF

The king knew as soon as he saw Zeno powers what his fate was thus giving him a hug concerned with his destiny… he had to endure so much, poor guy he protected the kingdom himself and sensed when all of his fellow comrades departed to heaven. It was tough to see…
Jul 31, 2017 12:46 PM

Jul 2013
Zeno showcasing why I would never want immortality as a power. The grief that comes with it...I couldn't even imagine. I'm so glad we finally got to see his backstory. Shin-ah (my fave) has a rough back story but I think Zeno's takes the cake.

I didn't realize he actually got powered up once his body began to heal though! So he's kind of like a trump card in combat then.
Aug 23, 2017 11:00 AM

May 2013
WHY IS THIS EPISODE SO FUCKING SAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDD ;_______________; my Zeno bby TT^TT
Sep 9, 2018 5:04 AM

Mar 2017
ugh zeno's backstory is so fcking saaaaad it literally tore my heart.

Akatsuki no Yona.... why do you make me feel this way

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Sep 25, 2018 5:58 AM

Mar 2016
Lol, I expected the OVA to be just Yona and the gang to go around and spend times together just like the first OVA episode. But goddamn, things have gone 180 in this episode and I love it!

Zeno's backstory is Painfully Sad... For the rest of the King's life, he feels incompetent, and only afterward does he not feel so, instead he feels how painful it is to say farewell to all of his dragon brothers whilst he fights alone many times in the frontline for countless of years. Hopefully, he found his happiness with Yona and the gang.

On the other hand, Zeno's power is epic! Yes, immortality was depicted to be a nightmare, but couple that with the ultra regeneration he has made such a cool combination. And whenever he got serious, parts of his body became armored and waaay stronger than originally, comparable to Green dragon's and White dragon's strength, but not limited to just an arm and a leg. All these powers combined together make an OP power. And since Zeno has fought through many wars, his experience is unlike no other of the dragon brothers.

I could confidently say that Zeno is basically the strongest of the dragon simply because of: OP Combinations of Powers + Experience = Zeno
Mar 18, 2019 11:40 AM

Apr 2009
awh, poor yellow dragon .w. .....
-so he's immortal, eh?

immortal, eternally young, and very-very sad about that -w-...
I like to comment Episodes as i Watch them.
Feb 26, 2020 5:32 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The power of the yellow dragon is amazing....
Great Ova, very nice....
Mar 24, 2020 1:49 PM

Jan 2014
did not think the OVA ep would be so heavy... expected them to be filler but there's actual content! i suppose these are to replace the season 2 that will never be :c

poor yellow dragon boi
Apr 11, 2020 6:21 AM

Feb 2020
Finally ! Zeno's backstory ! As expected, it was sad. This backstory explains why he was just wandering when Yona and the others found him... Of course he had nothing else to do. I wonder if he got to meet every Dragon that ever existed or if, just like the others, he just waited, forever. Probably the latter, but did he feel the Dragons' presence ? I also don't really get if he kept the Dragons' powers after their death, it doesn't look like it but then, what exactly happened at this moment ? I'm a bit confused...
However, it really made me like him all the more. He is a very touching character, and one of the most interesting in my opinion, as his backstory gives so hints to why he behaves like that now while at the same time barely telling us anything... This is the type of characters I love analysing ! (I guess part of the reason he is such a goofy weirdo now is because he is trying to cover his sadness in some way... I feel so bad for him. Also, this backstory definitely gives even more weight to his question to Yona about what she was planning to do with the Dragons.) But it's such a shame he only appeared in the last episode, but well, it just gives me another reason to read the manga !
Jun 8, 2020 6:56 AM
Aug 2018
Okay that was fucking sad and zeno needs every love in the world. And I hope he can be with the other orig dragons and king hiryuu in the heaven. Manga readers please tell me it will happen :(

And abi has the best visual and it seems likes it was passed on into shin-ah.

My soul is crying when he realized that he is all alone. He didn't even get to visit his brothers :(
Aug 18, 2020 3:40 PM
Oct 2019
This was incredible. For me, one of the finest anime episodes I've ever seen. I totally cried.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona OVA Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Dec 23, 2016

66 by Dinofresh »»
Apr 12, 12:31 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona OVA Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2015

83 by WolfWood37 »»
Feb 11, 10:30 PM

» Akatsuki no Yona OVA 2 Bonus

Lamara503 - Jan 16, 2017

2 by Fanach »»
Feb 7, 2021 7:42 AM

» Blu ray?

NG_Chloe - Dec 25, 2017

1 by photamako »»
Jan 9, 2021 10:35 PM

» Continue the manga where the Anime stopped

Usopp8000 - Oct 27, 2017

1 by CarrotSaysYum »»
Nov 11, 2017 1:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.