Forum Settings
Forums

Anime where MC uses knowledge/technology from the present in a past or alternate setting.

New
Aug 23, 2016 5:55 PM

Jun 2015
Hello

I'm looking for a show that involves the main character (perhaps from the present) incorporating knowledge, technology, or strategies from the modern day in a past or fantasy setting.

The example I'm thinking of is in Oda Nobuna no Yabou where the main character is from the present and uses knowledge of war, trading, and history within a historical setting, which I thought was pretty cool.

ReZero is another example that kind of fits what I'm looking for. The guy is transported directly from his world to an alternate world, where keeps his clothes, his personality, and his cell phone. Initially, they made a big deal about the fact that he had a cell phone which was completely foreign to them. Unfortunately, they haven't followed up on it much, which has been kind of disappointing.

Another example thats kind of different but fits what I'm looking for is ReLife, where the guy is 10 years older than he looks, and has knowledge and experiences of a 27 year old as a high school student. Some of the things that he says to his peers ends up sounding very strange from the perspective of 17 year olds.

So to recap, I'm looking for an anime where the main character goes to an alternate or past setting, where he uses present/future knowledge or technology in his current setting and is successful because of it. These aspects of the main character should be completely foreign to the people in the current setting of the anime. Lastly, I want this to be an important aspect to the show.

Sorry if my description is a little confusing, but I'm kind of just looking for suggestions. If you know of an anime that sounds similar to the description, feel free to write it down.

Thanks.
Aug 23, 2016 6:15 PM

May 2015
Something like Samurai Jack, right? I'm actually looking for something like this as well. So far, there are only three anime I know of that sort of follow this concept:

Zero no Tsukaima (The Familiar of Zero)
Male human from Modern day Japan is summoned into a fantasy world. While he is treated as a "plebian" in the fantasy world, there are some "relics" in that world that the nobles do not know anything about. However, the Male MC happens to be all too familiar with these so called "relics".

Outbreak Company
Our Male MC from the human world is hired as a missionary to a fantasy world to teach the magical creatures the way of the Otaku. There's a bit of economics involved if you're interested in that...

No Game No Life
A legendary gaming duo in the modern world is transported into a fantasy world where their gaming skills will decide the fate of the land.
TarotistAug 23, 2016 6:29 PM
Aug 23, 2016 6:24 PM

May 2012
Thermae Romae has this theme.
Aug 23, 2016 10:41 PM

Jun 2015
@Tarotist

Zero no Tsukaima sounds like something I would enjoy. Same with No Game No Life. I've been wanting to start that one for a while.

Outbreak Company seems closer to what I'm looking for, but I would like something more serious. I want the main character to bring something meaningful from the present to an alternate world. For example, in Oda Nobuna, the main character goes to the past and uses a bunch of advanced military techniques (ie rotating firing squads) that don't exist yet. I'll probably take a look at it, but I would prefer something more serious.
Aug 23, 2016 11:11 PM

Oct 2014
Nobunaga Concerto
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Aug 24, 2016 12:39 AM

Apr 2010
In Suisei no gargantia he uses technology from the future in a place which the knowledge is not as advanced as now

More topics from this board

» Pumice stone for Toilet Cleaner

Dwellapumice - 3 hours ago

1 by Dumb »»
3 hours ago

» Looking for Solo Leveling kind of anime

RiasuSama - 3 hours ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
3 hours ago

» On my way to the depths.... (1)

monke_guy - 7 hours ago

0 by monke_guy »»
7 hours ago

» What manga do you think I'd like, based on my list?

misamxsa - Apr 10

6 by ColdBlackTeaFan »»
7 hours ago

» Ao Haru Ride Rant (Had to get this off my chest) Spoilers!

XGirl86 - Yesterday

0 by XGirl86 »»
Yesterday, 6:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.