Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 23, 2016 2:25 PM

Jan 2016
I was wondering how many other anime fan's do the 3 episode rule?

and if you do, do you buy them on DVD/Blu-ray when they become available or do you just keep streaming it

and do you pay watch it online ex- FUNimation site or do you do it on a Illegal site like KissAnime?

this is not a judging thing ether I'm just very curious, sorry about that.

for me I check it out and if I like it I add it to my list of anime's to buy (also since I can only watch dubs and where I am it's a bit harder to come by sites that have the dubs)

For example late last night/early this morning I watched the first 3 episodes of Snow White With The Red Hair and I thought it is very great and I am going to buy it/Pre-Order it for sure on November 1st. :)

All the Anime's on my list are all one's I own Personal physical copies of, or have seen in theaters that I plan on buying, series that I've watched on FUNimation or HIDIVE will not be on here unless/until I have already bought it.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 23, 2016 4:31 PM

Feb 2016
I thought it was called the 1 episode rule? lol
Aug 23, 2016 4:32 PM

Aug 2015
I don't buy Anime. I already pay enough for the internets.
idk about you but the closer a girl gets to looking like ronald mcdonald, the more aroused i become. CAV

where can we cast our eyes to @PoruMairu who thinks of himself a member of the true church. Helion.
Aug 23, 2016 4:36 PM

Dec 2015
Most of the time a single episode, or even a half is enough to determine its watchability.
Aug 23, 2016 4:37 PM

Oct 2014
I generally just drop anime when they don't interest me anymore. Sometimes it's after an episode, sometimes it's after 20 (I put Sailor Moon on-hold after 19 episodes but I doubt I'll get back to it anytime soon). I don't buy anime on DVD. Sometimes I've downloaded anime, realized that they weren't my thing and had to delete them without finishing them.
Aug 23, 2016 4:38 PM

Dec 2014
1 episode for me to determine if it's watchable for me.
I don't give it a rating unless I decide to watch the first 1/5th of it tho.
Aug 23, 2016 4:39 PM

Jun 2016
It depends on how long a series is. If I don't like the first episode of a 12 episode series, I'm not going to watch the rest. I use the 3-episode rule for 24 episode series, and I'm pretty lenient on 24+. I have both a crunchyroll and funimation account, but I don't buy anime.

behind these hills
i'm reaching for the heights

Aug 23, 2016 4:40 PM

Jul 2015
I stream almost everything legally. But i give it anywhere between one to three full episodes (usually) before i drop an anime.

I came close to dropping gakkou gurashi on the first episode because it looked dumb even for a cgdct but kept watching because of the twist ending.
Aug 23, 2016 4:52 PM

Jul 2015
What the hell even is the 3 episode rule?
Aug 23, 2016 4:56 PM

Jul 2012
A5IAN said:

No matter what the show is you don't drop until you've watched 3 episodes. It became fairly more widespread in relation to Madoka and just kind of carried over into the community after that.

OT: I follow the no drop rule and usually use Illegal streaming sites. Not nearly enough disposable income to consider buying DvDs/Blu-rays of shows I probably finished and don't plan to rewatch, and the subscription for only half of the seasonals when I can get all of them for free makes it really hard to justify signing up for Funimation or Crunchyroll.
Aug 23, 2016 5:03 PM

Nov 2013
I don't use the 3 episodes rule, I just drop whenever I think I'm done with a series. Could be after 1 episode, could be after 4 minutes.

Also I didn't need 3 episodes to tell me Madoka was worth it. I was against watching it in the first place since I'm not into mahou shoujo. But even during the first episode I could tell there was more going on than defeating evil and magic. It's stupid to have to watch to the point of the plot twist to realize they're aiming for more.
Aug 23, 2016 5:03 PM
Dec 2015
Personally, I don't think that three episodes is nearly enough time to judge a show's quality. You haven't gotten into the meat of the story yet. That's why I'll try my best to get about half way through a series before dropping it. So many series start off mediocre to bad but become amazing once the story really gets going (examples are Shinsekai Yori and to a lesser extent Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo).
Aug 23, 2016 5:05 PM

Jul 2015
GamerDLM said:
A5IAN said:

No matter what the show is you don't drop until you've watched 3 episodes. It became fairly more widespread in relation to Madoka and just kind of carried over into the community after that.

OT: I follow the no drop rule and usually use Illegal streaming sites. Not nearly enough disposable income to consider buying DvDs/Blu-rays of shows I probably finished and don't plan to rewatch, and the subscription for only half of the seasonals when I can get all of them for free makes it really hard to justify a subscription.

AAAAhhhhhhh That makes sense.

Yea, I'm with this guy. Don't believe in dropping. Once I start, will continue no matter how bad it is.
In terms of buying...No way. Why spend money on anime dvd's when you could save it for figurines, LN, manga, etc...?

I'll probably just download every episode of each anime I watch from kissanime onto my laptop once I get a new one.
Aug 23, 2016 5:13 PM

Feb 2016
If I don't like the first episode I don't watch the rest. I don't care how long the series is. I watched the first half of Gintama episode 1 and dropped it while never looking back.

And I watch things illegally. Shit, it isn't even illegal. I pay for my internet therefore I'm paying for access on everything on the Internet. Fuck the law.

When I was a kid I bought a few DBZ and Naruto games. Now look at both of these series. They are shit right now. I supported the franchise and got let down in the long run (This is a half serious half joking claim)

Aug 23, 2016 5:50 PM

May 2015
The three episode rule is dumb.
I haven't seen a single show that didn't give a good indication of it's quality in the first episode. If the first episode wasn't good, none of it will be good.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Aug 23, 2016 6:03 PM

Apr 2015
screw that rules, I complete everything!!!
Aug 23, 2016 6:25 PM

Jan 2016
I kind of forgot to add on my first comment since I can only watch dub it's harder to find legal streaming sites only one available in my country is Netflix (which is pretty sucky here) and FUNimation which since I don't have a credit card I'm out of luck on.

so I do the 3 episode rule on a illegal site (even though I feel really guilty about using one) and if it's my kind of style I'll buy it if not, it's not as big of an impact.

If I do like it enough I'll buy it on DVD/Blu-ray so I have a great physical copy for a long time to come and I help support the creators (I think anyways) and the Sub and the Dub VA's ect.

and if the internet goes out for a couple hours I don't have to worry since I have a portable DVD player always fully charged ready to go :) .

(I know I might be forgetting something if I remember I'll edit this)

All the Anime's on my list are all one's I own Personal physical copies of, or have seen in theaters that I plan on buying, series that I've watched on FUNimation or HIDIVE will not be on here unless/until I have already bought it.
Aug 23, 2016 6:31 PM
Jul 2016
GamerDLM said:
A5IAN said:

OT: I follow the no drop rule and usually use Illegal streaming sites. Not nearly enough disposable income to consider buying DvDs/Blu-rays of shows I probably finished and don't plan to rewatch, and the subscription for only half of the seasonals when I can get all of them for free makes it really hard to justify signing up for Funimation or Crunchyroll.

Which is weird, considering the first episode of Madoka had already hinted at the series' true nature, i mean, considering that the show had the staff that it did, literally starts off showing the viewer bizarre imagery alongside an ominous tune, should have at least made the viewers think "This might actually not be a typical run-of-the-mill Magical Girl story with themes of love and friendship and Monster of the week fighting", sure the viewers weren't capable of predicting in just what way the show was going to subvert expectations, but it seemed apparent right from the get-go that it was going to do so in the future in some way.
Aug 23, 2016 6:36 PM

Jul 2012
Murozaki said:
GamerDLM said:

Which is weird, considering the first episode of Madoka had already hinted at the series' true nature, i mean, considering that the show had the staff that it did, literally starts off showing the viewer bizarre imagery alongside an ominous tune, should have at least made the viewers think "This might actually not be a typical run-of-the-mill Magical Girl story with themes of love and friendship and Monster of the week fighting", sure the viewers weren't capable of predicting in just what way the show was going to subvert expectations, but it seemed apparent right from the get-go that it was going to do so in the future in some way.

Personally I think it's both the inclination against magical girl series, as well as the first 2 episodes being a really slow start and a certain event in the third episode kind of makes it much more engaging. Sure it hinted that it wasn't a happy go lucky show early on, but it could be easily argued as being a bit dull to start.
Aug 23, 2016 7:13 PM

Apr 2014
Nope, I have the "I don't drop anything rule"
Aug 23, 2016 7:18 PM

Mar 2014
I did that with Watamote, I watched the first 3 episodes then ordered it. But no, I don't follow the 3 episode rule, I drop if I don't like it, even if I'm only one episode in.

I used to follow the 3 episode rule, and I didn't even hear about it beforehand, I just made up because 3 is a magic number. I found that shows I didn't like the first episode of didn't get better, and the shows I loved from the beginning stayed good.
Aug 23, 2016 7:19 PM

Dec 2009
Nah, this 3 episode rule sounds really stupid to me no offense.
I have never bought a anime dvd/bluray yet but I do plan to collect a lot of manga and anime in the future when I have the money to waste.

I pick them based on them being favorites/classics to my taste. If they were enjoyable but not top favorites (worth it) then I wouldn't consider buying them.
... I watch everything through stream or download some that aren't, via torrent btw.
Aug 23, 2016 7:31 PM

Apr 2012
I've never dropped a series. I've wanted to, and I've put some on hold for extremely long periods of time, but I always finish what I start.

I used to watch a lot of stuff on sketchy websites, but I normally watch everything on Funimation/Hulu/Netflix/Crunchyroll now.
Aug 23, 2016 7:36 PM

Dec 2015
Nah, I tend to watch 5-6 episodes (because of what happened with Steins;Gate I almost missed an amazing anime). If its average and I'm not bored I will watch it through to the end if its 10-13 episodes. If its average and its 2 cour and I am on the verge of being bored with it I drop it at episode 5 or 6. If its bad or just not my preference then I drop at episode 1 or 2 (sometimes 3 just to see if it changes going on the 3 episode rule).

If its a longer anime like 50-200 episodes then I will try to watch to episode 20 if its 50 episodes and if its 100+ I will go to episode 35. As long as it is not mind-numbingely boring or bad. I would have missed out on Gintama, if I didn't stick with it until episode 20ish.
Aug 23, 2016 8:26 PM

Aug 2016
Exhalant said:
I thought it was called the 1 episode rule? lol

It was considered the 1 episode rule but because some parts of the community circle jerked that a story only starts getting good by the 3rd episode, 3 episodes are needed to judge a show fairly and to see if it's worthwhile to spent more time on it. Or that's what they say, anyways.

As for the question of the post, I don't follow any rules. Sometimes I'll drop a show that just looks like it'll lead to crap later on off the first episode while I'll deal with 2 seasons before completely giving up hope on the rest of the soon-to-be series.
Aug 23, 2016 9:58 PM

Jan 2016
I never drop animes as I pick carefully what I put on my Plan to Watch list (I take my time to watch the animes I put there as I don't tend to rush them and watch just one at a time) and I don't like leaving things unfinished, so even if I don't like an anime too much I just struggle to finish it, hoping it can get better (I don't think like I can judge something accurately without finishing it completely). I don't buy anime DVDs or Blu-ray, just watch them on illegal sites.
Aug 23, 2016 10:18 PM

Dec 2015
When it's a single cour I always complete it. If it's double cour I tend to watch at least half of it and then drop when I can't stand it anymore.
Aug 23, 2016 11:11 PM
Jul 2018
I don't. I always try to complete the anime, unless it's garbage of the lowest quality or there's too much fanservice. I don't know if the 3 episodes rule works. But right now I can think of some anime that make me think it does. My all time favorite: Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, fun things start in episode 3.
Aug 23, 2016 11:14 PM

Feb 2015
Mhhh... I applied that rule to some anime and succeeded, but failed in some series... Just hone your guts feeling and you'll be okay...
Aug 23, 2016 11:33 PM

Jan 2016
yeah same here and then if I enjoy it enough I'll buy it on DVD

Aug 24, 2016 2:26 AM

Jun 2016
I dropped tons of anime after just watching 1 episode but I don't add them to my list for obvious reasons.

One show I forced myself to complete was Mayoiga and that was both hilarious and appalling.
Aug 24, 2016 2:30 AM

Apr 2013
I dont do that, I finish every anime I start, but you can avoid 99% of crap just by researching before season start
Aug 24, 2016 2:35 AM

Jul 2014
I hear that Sazae-San gets really good around 2000 episodes in.
Aug 24, 2016 2:41 AM

Jan 2013
I've never dropped a series.
Sometimes the beginnings are boring but the rest is awesome.
This goes with Psycho-Pass in my opinion, the first like 7 or 8 episodes are so so but the rest is a truly masterpiece so... Ah! The same goes with Free!: the first season was average in my eyes but the Eternal Summer, Eternal Summer Special and FrFr are my life and I'm a trash now. :")

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Aug 24, 2016 2:41 AM

Feb 2016
i dont pay for anime, but i pay for internet.
also i dont use dat stupid rules
Aug 24, 2016 2:56 AM

Apr 2016
I... don't drop anime, and I'm self-aware that it's a very stupid thing to do but once I dropped an anime and I kind of felt bad for it, and even though it remained shit and got shittier later on... I still kept on watching it. Then I almost dropped Gintama but continued anyway and fell in love after like 50 episodes soooo, yeah. I decided it was good to not drop anime at all. And then the same happened with some of the episodes of HxH's CA arc and I kind of wanted to drop it but I continued and fell in love with arc.

The same with happened with One Piece and Hajime no Ippo and these are all my favs sooo, because of that. I don't drop anime anymore. Yeah. Stupid, but whatever lol

Oh and I do all the watching illegally. :'(
Aug 24, 2016 3:09 AM

Sep 2014
I did it when I started unless a show was just the completely wrong type for me, now I use 0 episode rule (drop at any point even pre-finishing first ep.) but this is definitely flawed as I dropped 3 of my favourites on the first episode before coming back to them later.

Aug 24, 2016 3:15 AM

Jun 2015
A5IAN said:

Op is not even aware what the 3 ep rule entails.

Here it is.
The three episode rule is that if the anime is not garbage level 1 episode droppable, which occurs is

A. The anime is slow
B. First episode does not offer enough insight for you to judge the quality of it
C.You are still unsure whether to invest your time in it or not
D. And other miscallaneous reasons

You may opt to wait for 3 episodes(or until the first arc ends, whichever is your preference) before choosing to drop it or to pick it up.

The 3 episode rule got its name because most anime can be judged in their overall story flow in those 3 episodes, hence the name.

Ot, I don't stream. Area restricted and what not. I watch the seldom anime in theaters(yes we have those, last one was conan) download them or buy the bd if I like them enough. We also buy movie dvds.
BrbAug 24, 2016 3:18 AM
Aug 24, 2016 3:39 AM
Feb 2016
I've got a 3 minute rule. If it doesn't interest me in 3 minutes it goes in the traaaaaaash.

And I always stream (il)legally.
Aug 24, 2016 4:12 AM

Nov 2009
animefan0071 said:

And yet you didn't attach a vote to this topic.

Anyway, I don't bother with this rule. Most of the time, I know if I'll be watching an anime after 1 episode. Sometimes I run out of interest or right mood midway, but I don't care about it much - I just put those anime on-hold.
Aug 24, 2016 5:54 AM

Feb 2016
If it's not so awful I drop it on the first ep, but I'm not really feeling it or am unsure about if it will be worth it, I'll give it 3 or 4 eps to decide. Sometimes mistakes are made and I wind up dropping it around 7 or 8 though.

I always stream.
Aug 24, 2016 6:33 AM

Feb 2016
It depend on how bad the first episode is. If the first few minutes make me cringe, I'm dropping it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 24, 2016 6:59 AM

Jul 2016
I personally use the 3 episode rule for most anime I watch. Most, not all.

I never NEVER drop an anime after 1 episode, if I did I would have dropped Steins;Gate, but I didn't. I was pretty much forcing myself at the beginning, and I'm glad I did, because then I got to experience the greatness that was in store for me. A 10/10 well deserved.

Kinda the same for Hunter x Hunter 2011, but it quickly managed to hook me in, and it was simply amazing. 10/10 what a ride.

‏‏‎ ‎

「‏‏‎ artist‏‏‎ 」

「‏‏‎ don't forget to wear your‏‏‎ mask‏‏‎ 」

「‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ 」
Aug 24, 2016 8:31 AM
Apr 2015
animefan0071 said:

and if you do, do you buy them on DVD/Blu-ray when they become available or do you just keep streaming it

and do you pay watch it online ex- FUNimation site or do you do it on a Illegal site like KissAnime?

this is not a judging thing ether I'm just very curious, sorry about that.

for me I check it out and if I like it I add it to my list of anime's to buy (also since I can only watch dubs and where I am it's a bit harder to come by sites that have the dubs)

For example late last night/early this morning I watched the first 3 episodes of Snow White With The Red Hair and I thought it is very great and I am going to buy it/Pre-Order it for sure on November 1st. :)

Not really, If I don't enjoy an anime from the first episode then I drop it.

I torrent anime.
Aug 24, 2016 8:32 AM

Sep 2015
my current policy is not to drop but put on hold if I do not find it interesting enough, but yeah it takes around 3 episodes for me to put something I don't enjoy on hold.
Aug 24, 2016 9:10 AM
Aug 2016
If I don't drop it on the first episode I'll usually watch the entire series, unless it gets really bad.
I mostly stream through funimation and crunchy roll, if there's something I want to see that isn't on one of those I'll turn to other methods.
Aug 24, 2016 9:22 AM

Sep 2013
I don't adhere to the 3 episode rule. If something cannot at all get my interest, I drop it, no matter the episode count. Of course, if I haven't seen enough episodes, I don't rate the anime, but even then, I have a 5 episode rule when it comes to that instead since 3 episodes aren't enough for me ^^'
Aug 24, 2016 9:51 AM
Jul 2018
I go with one episode, or four before I decide to drop it.
Aug 24, 2016 3:01 PM

Jan 2016
flannan said:
animefan0071 said:

And yet you didn't attach a vote to this topic.

Anyway, I don't bother with this rule. Most of the time, I know if I'll be watching an anime after 1 episode. Sometimes I run out of interest or right mood midway, but I don't care about it much - I just put those anime on-hold.

tbh I just recently started doing forums and I have no idea how to do that I didn't even know you could.

Aug 24, 2016 3:05 PM

Apr 2016
Well I can tell if I won't like an anime from the first episode sometimes. The only anime I gave that rule to was "Aria the Animation", I felt like it would be boring from the first episode, but it turned into one of my favourites in the second episode.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

36 by Oofmastre9000 »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 7 hours ago

23 by Shirayukin »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

36 by FanofAction »»
16 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

85 by Satyr_icon »»
34 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Today

44 by Kruszer »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.