Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 22, 2016 10:01 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Intense! I think this episode was episode was very thrilling with Alma transformed as an Akuma. Felt bad for all the characters getting cursed by Alma though especially Tokusa.

Millennium Earl is enjoying it like watching a movie lol

No doubt, Allen, Alma, and Kanda's cconfrontation in the present timeline is the highlight of the episode, really liked they used the music for that. It's because of the memories we've seen about Alma that made the encounter important. The feelings of hatred just got way too intense. Glad they kept some of the violence too but I hope they remove the censors from the BDs. Kandaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
Stark700Aug 22, 2016 11:43 AM
Aug 22, 2016 10:05 AM
Jul 2016
So they spent most of the budget in the previous episode as both the art and animation dropped horrifyingly.
It feels like it was originally 2-3 episodes, and somehow they cut the hell out of it to compress it into 1...
As usual, the 14th manages to save the whole episode with just his laugh
Aug 22, 2016 12:21 PM
Jun 2014
And now they ruined mine experience with the terrible animations. Almost everything was static(with just their mouth moving around).

Also the art quality wasn't really great either. Couldn't recognise Tokusa for example when he fused with Alma's DNA. Or the other third exorcist. Madarao was a freaking background, just like the other 3 Third Excorcists.

I already knew the story, so this was a disappointment :(

I rate this 2/5 :(
Aug 22, 2016 12:47 PM

Nov 2009
The censoring was unpleasant, to say the least. Otherwise, a fast-paced and a bit hectic episode, but finally the best moment as the 14th within Allen awakens and Allen mistakes him for Tyki at first because of how much alike they look (there's no way it's a coincidence, obviously, but this mystery has yet to be solved).
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Aug 22, 2016 12:54 PM

Feb 2010
After two really good episodes, this was a disappointment...

THEN AGAIN..... I couldn't believe it when the ending credits/song started believing. Anther cliffhanger...
Aug 22, 2016 1:08 PM

Dec 2013
My eyes are bleeding (roflmao).

Aug 22, 2016 1:35 PM

Sep 2015
it was really chaotic and all over the place imo

but that cliffhanger tho
CANT WAIT FOR ANOTHER ONE!

(and boy oh boy those light beams...i didnt miss them)
Aug 22, 2016 2:07 PM

Sep 2011
Oh... What the hell, man. Static images, and terrible animation. RIP budget from last few episodes? -_-.

Lots of censors too...
TyrelAug 22, 2016 3:17 PM
Aug 22, 2016 2:38 PM

Feb 2013
:( That censor was not necessary at all! Agh
That cliffhanger though!! O_O
Aug 22, 2016 2:43 PM
Aug 2016
Why are Lenalee and Lavy unimportant now?!?! I miss them!!!!
Aug 22, 2016 3:29 PM

Jul 2013
Meh, they ruined the episode with the horrible animation and art. I expected much better considering they have reached the most important part of the arc :/

Oh, well, at least the appearence of the 14th at the end was cool. Cannot wait to hear him talk the next week.

Btw, what the fuck did they censored Tokusa's chest?
IllyricusJun 13, 2019 2:46 PM
Aug 22, 2016 3:36 PM

Aug 2014
Well the animation just took a step down...but besides that, it was quite enjoyable to watch. You dun fucking up now Yuu :s
Aug 22, 2016 4:02 PM
Jan 2016
Is it me just not remembering things right or did they add/change a lot from how this went in the manga? Also, the animation was terrible.
Aug 22, 2016 4:16 PM

Dec 2012
Ugh this episode was just a mess, pretty disappointing after the last 2 episodes, could have been adapted much better. Next week should be good though so there's that, I didn't expect the anime to get to this point so fast so I wonder where they'll end the anime at now
I like anime.
Aug 22, 2016 4:17 PM

Feb 2013
Kanda was scary.
Allen is a Noah now.
Aug 22, 2016 4:45 PM

Apr 2016
I haven't reach that far from the manga so I don't know if the pace was fast or not (I'm still at the Phantom Thief G part :P). But it was interesting to see Allen becoming a Noah.
Then that last scene, so that's the Fourteenth? I was expecting a big guy since in the first season, he kinda looks big in his shadow. Oh well, I don't mind it.
I didn't like the censoring. It was unpleasant to see a lot of censors in an episode. They could've just done a creative way to censor something of gruesome sort rather than using those white and black lines and shadows.
Anyway, can't wait for the next episode. :)
Aug 22, 2016 4:47 PM
Jul 2016
NotTheRailtracer said:
Is it me just not remembering things right or did they add/change a lot from how this went in the manga? Also, the animation was terrible.

Not much was change
Aug 22, 2016 5:26 PM

Aug 2012
Unfortunately, my favorite fight had this terrible animation. Geez... I was looking forward for Kanda, but he... I didn´t feel that vibe of the manga when he goes berserk. And why that censorship? We already knew this part was going to be a gore fest.

But it was really cool to see Alma, anyways. His voice and emotions both fit very nicely, way better than other characters.
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
Aug 22, 2016 5:28 PM

Apr 2007
That battle was a mess, but the developments were good. Also Alma's hair looks amazing. Just saying :v
Aug 22, 2016 5:29 PM
Jun 2014
Illyricus said:

Btw, what the fuck did they censored Tokusa's chest?

I assume they tried to show Alma's Cell ripping Tokusa's stomache open.
Aug 22, 2016 5:35 PM

Dec 2013
That white beam of light lol

Animation wasn't that great but the episode was still really interesting. Yet another cliffhanger...
Aug 22, 2016 5:42 PM
Jan 2016
ItNeverEnds14 said:
NotTheRailtracer said:

Not much was change

Went back and checked, you're right, they didn't change much, it just feels completely different for some reason.
Aug 22, 2016 6:21 PM
Jul 2016
NotTheRailtracer said:
ItNeverEnds14 said:

Not much was change

Went back and checked, you're right, they didn't change much, it just feels completely different for some reason.

The anime pacing is more intense
Aug 22, 2016 7:18 PM
Apr 2014
Wtf was going on in this episode seriously

The animation didnt seem that great compared to previous episodes.
I was really disappointing in how they animated this episode, at one point Alma is just a shit drawing.
I felt there was a lot off in this episode, voice acting didn't seem as great as the early episodes, and theyre adding new lines to the characters to make them seem more important when theyre actually not? Lenalee and Lavi do nothing in this arc, lets just get passed that first.
Aug 22, 2016 7:30 PM

Aug 2012
Well, this was where the art consistency started to get iffy in the manga, so still technically faithful adaptation?
Aug 22, 2016 8:57 PM

Sep 2011
NotTheRailtracer said:
ItNeverEnds14 said:

Not much was change

Because they've been changing the scenes in every episode. It's not panel for panel, but it's still a faithful adaptation. They just re-arrange the order of panels in the series.
Aug 22, 2016 10:18 PM

Mar 2014
can someone explain me why was the animation that bad? it felt normal to me....
Aug 22, 2016 10:41 PM

May 2015
I CRINGED AT THE ART AND ANIMATION I AM SO DISSAPOINTED!!!!! I will just stick to the manga now T_T
Aug 23, 2016 12:42 AM

Dec 2014
Excellent content, Underwhelming presentation. Given last week's episode I was expecting this to be nothing sort of an exceptional episode, Especially since it's the most important part of the arc. I guess I expected too much. :(
Still a good episode, Just that it could have been way way better.
Lot of static fight scenes, No clue why they wanted to censor stuff when they're just showing stills. The soundtrack was great though.

It's so sad when Allen cries saying he has never been able to protect anyone. :(
For! Always nice to see her :D

14th's awakening was great.Hopefully next episode is better.
Aug 23, 2016 3:16 AM
Jul 2016
Well, I haven't even thought that the action scenes would be performed that horribly. The studio screwed up all the scenes which look amazingly epic in the manga, starting from Mugen techniques of Kanda (all looking like the beams of green light) or Allen blocking Tyki's attack on For and ending with Allen vs Kanda fight and the latter eventually stabbing the former. All the art is somehow too flat and straight, as if the animators totaly forgot about the angles during the design of the chapacters' poses.
Besides, when Kiredori began her tranformation, what the heck happened with General Socalo? His appearance left he wondering where are his actual muscles and where his actual clothes begins because I can't see the difference between there two on his body. Even if all his torso is naked, where did a hood-like appendage get from?
Aug 23, 2016 4:09 AM
Jan 2016
ItNeverEnds14 said:
NotTheRailtracer said:

The anime pacing is more intense

That's part of it but I think it, the light colours and the changed perspectives add up to a tone shift.
NotTheRailtracerAug 23, 2016 4:13 AM
Aug 23, 2016 4:48 AM

Sep 2014
Wish they spent a little more time on that fight. Kanda vs. Alma is one of the best fights in the manga, but I guessed this might happen given how violent it is.

They'll probably clean up the animation on the DVD. Airing anime often has worse animation than the DVD for anyone worried about it.

I think this episode mostly felt like it existed to get from point a to b rather than it's own thing. It probably should've been two so they could've had one more focused on what Allen and the third exorcists are doing and Kanda and Alma stuff.
Aug 23, 2016 6:01 AM

Oct 2009
Man this was a mess! It felt so rushed? I don't know whether its the same in the manga, but so many things happened way too fast.

Rather disappointing after the build up from the last two episodes :/
Aug 23, 2016 6:24 AM

Jan 2012
What with the horrendous censoring? iirc when Alma and Kanda had their arms fall down as kids it wasn't even censored...
Aug 23, 2016 7:33 AM

Oct 2015
censorship killed the vibe of the episode........anyway was a nice episode could be better if wasnt the censorship but oh well......BD Marketing
Aug 23, 2016 7:46 AM
Jan 2016
The fights between Allen, Kanda and Alma was MORE INTENSE in the manga compared to the anime. This episode is really disappointing. >__>

I wonder how DGM would turn out if MadHouse is the production company in-charged :D

Well...we'll be seeing some conversations between Allen and Nea in the next episode :D cant wait!
GinnnnAug 23, 2016 7:49 AM
Aug 23, 2016 7:56 AM
Nov 2015
Probably my favorite episode so far, but seriously wtf happened to the animation and why censorship?

4/5
Aug 23, 2016 9:56 AM

Oct 2011
The Fourteenth is here omg
Aug 23, 2016 10:22 AM

Nov 2008
After the first episode I thought the adaptation will be terrible but, now I think just(I don't care about the animation anymore) waoh :O
BTW in the manga I felt more emotion in Kanda and Alma relationship but in the anime nothing... Now I'm just wondering what are they going to do in the last episodes...
Aug 23, 2016 10:56 AM

Oct 2014
So im enjoying every second of the epidode, the chaotic battle was great, the whole episode was intense, i was thinking "this is the best episode yet, the animation is great". I come to my anime list and find nothing but criticism of the episode, I thought it was pretty good.
"My name is Yoshikage Kira. I'm 33 years old. My house is in the northeast section of Morioh, where the villas are, and i am not married. I work as an employee for the Kame Yu department stores, and i get home every day by 8 PM at the latest. I don't smoke, but i occasionally drink. I'm in bed by 11 PM, and make sure I get 8 hours of sleep, no matter what. After having a glass of warm milk and doing about twenty minutes of stretches before going to bed, I usually have no problems sleeping until morning. Just like a baby, I wake up without any fatigue or stress in the morning. I was told there were no issues at my last checkup."
Aug 23, 2016 11:31 AM
Jun 2014
DreadedOne said:
So im enjoying every second of the epidode, the chaotic battle was great, the whole episode was intense, i was thinking "this is the best episode yet, the animation is great". I come to my anime list and find nothing but criticism of the episode, I thought it was pretty good.

Thinking the episode being good or bad is subjective. Hence people write down why they thought the episode was good or bad to justify their opinion. U thinking the episode being good, doesn't/shouldn't change other people thinking the episode is bad. This also apply vice versa. People disliking the episode shouldn't affect ur opinion too much.

This episode was bad from my point of view, because the animation and art(In my eyes) were really inconsistent. I've been defending every episodes(6, 7 didn't have much complain compared to the Timmy Arc, mayority were complaining about the pace, while it wasn't that different compared to the manga) up untill now.

If u pay close attention, u will see inconsistentie in the characters through out the episode(except the close-ups being average like every other D Gray Man Hallow episodes). A really good example is when Alma's Cell became dominant and took over Takusa's body. The face of Takusa didn't resemble him at all.

Alot of static animations were used too. For example, Madarao and the third Exorcist being taken over were all backgrounds or zoomed in backgrounds with another layer adding the "special effects"(those purple lightning surrounding them). U didn't see any body movement of them being hurt by the Alma Cells or needing to breath air. They were just static images/backgrounds with spec effects.

Some people don't care about these. For example, DBS(my opinion) has bad animations, yet alot of people still enjoy it, because those things doesn't bother them as much as it bothers me.

In the end, we all come in the forum to read people's opinion about the episode. We should all respect the opinions of people liking it or disliking it(not saying u were disrespectfull at all), unless the opinions are pure hate or pure favoritism. U can either discuss with them(highly recommendu not doing it) or ignore them.
Aug 23, 2016 11:32 AM

Dec 2007
I liked it, I mean as long as its not cgi i'll take it. not liking that we are closer to the 13th week, whose down to start a kickstater for Japanese animators, if no one I'll take this animation as it is and give it 10/10 censers hurt my soul a bit..
fireshadowdrAug 23, 2016 11:38 AM

Aug 23, 2016 12:05 PM

Jul 2013
god knows the story is so good but the anime is just a disaster
Aug 23, 2016 3:03 PM

Jun 2013
fuck that censoring man and that was epic
Aug 23, 2016 3:23 PM

Jan 2008
What the heck is with the censorship that isn't censoring anything? Things like Kanda's arm being ripped off you can still see clearly. I don't even know what they're doing.
Aug 23, 2016 5:04 PM

Jan 2014
OK, this could have all been cleared up if everyone just sat down for a damn minute and listened to each other. . . Instead we have a four-way brawl. Kanda wanting to kill Alma and Allen for stopping him from killing Alma and Alma wanting to kill Kanda and Allen for wanting to stop him from killing Kanda and now the Fourteenth wanting to kill them all apparently. . . I think they all just need a group hug.
Aug 23, 2016 7:07 PM

Oct 2008
Oh noes! The Fourteenth re-emerging again thru Allen!
Kanda's cool with his fifth illusion!
4/5!

Aug 23, 2016 7:56 PM
May 2014
Art wasn't the worst in my opinion. Unneeded censorship, though.

That final scene with the 14th was pretty hype
Aug 23, 2016 8:07 PM

Nov 2012
I didn't notice any bad animation or art to be honest, it seemed the same as the last episode. I really enjoyed this episode, Allen fully turned into the Fourteenth now and he is trapped inside his mind, I guess?
Aug 24, 2016 12:27 AM
Jul 2016
Jotakak said:
OK, this could have all been cleared up if everyone just sat down for a damn minute and listened to each other. . . Instead we have a four-way brawl. Kanda wanting to kill Alma and Allen for stopping him from killing Alma and Alma wanting to kill Kanda and Allen for wanting to stop him from killing Kanda and now the Fourteenth wanting to kill them all apparently. . . I think they all just need a group hug.

That's what Allen was trying to do: telling Kanda to calm the hell down. For Alma, however, he already did the best thing he could do (I will not say more because spoiler...)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2016

131 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 2:05 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 12, 2016

64 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 1:12 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 29, 2016

82 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 12:26 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 4, 2016

359 by iamnameers »»
Dec 21, 2023 10:32 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2016

79 by Choostopher »»
Nov 6, 2023 10:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.