Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 22, 2016 6:29 AM

Aug 2015
Deep down inside I can't get myself to believe.
I prayed many times for god to come into my heart but every time I pray it doesn’t feel right the idea and existence of god seems absolutely ridiculous and stupid to me No matter how many times I've tried, i truly want to believe in god and to have peace of Mind In a Troubled World .. to look up to something ... but my doubts overcome my small faith.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 22, 2016 6:32 AM

Mar 2014
Then don't

You're better off that way
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 22, 2016 6:35 AM

Jun 2016
Don't force it if you can't do it, end of story.

@Yarub we got another one
Erg_OrgyAug 22, 2016 6:42 AM
Aug 22, 2016 6:39 AM

May 2015
I also wish that an omnipotent immortal dictator existed.
Aug 22, 2016 7:02 AM

Sep 2010
BAck in the days of yore, the plebs had a disgraceful life, stricken by sickness and poverty and thought that the nobles shouldn't have as much as they did, since they were human people as them so they thought to create an uprising. But the nobles didn't like that. How dare those filthy plebians get the same riches as them? They got those riches from stealing from the poor and by conquesting other lands, so they thought of something that would instill respect and fear into the commoners. Religion.

By inventing religion they created a omnipresent all powerfull entity to whom the commoners could pray and respect, in hopes for a better life. And if they payed a small amount of money, that so called god who answer their prayers.

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Aug 22, 2016 7:02 AM

Dec 2015
Do what religious people always do when they are having trouble believing in god. Bottle up all those pesky questions, stop thinking about it too hard and just tell everyone (and yourself) that you do in fact believe in god and you think he's just great.
Aug 22, 2016 7:03 AM

Feb 2015
I'm pretty sure a true god would accept your rejection, a true higher power is not in the business of coercion.
Aug 22, 2016 7:03 AM
Dec 2015
Have you talked about it with any church worker?

Edit: Ramkec has good advice.
FinnishAnimeGirlAug 22, 2016 8:18 AM
Aug 22, 2016 7:07 AM

Jul 2016
nightwave91 said:
I prayed many times for god to come into my heart but every time I pray it doesn’t feel right the idea and existence of god seems absolutely ridiculous and stupid to me No matter how many times I've tried, i truly want to believe in god and to have peace of Mind In a Troubled World .. to look up to something ... but my doubts overcome my small faith.

If god was real why is there Ebola?Why did he make Ebola? that is proof enough to show you that god isn't real expect for this guy @Yarub.
Aug 22, 2016 7:07 AM

Feb 2012
Looks like God is sending you signs since you want to believe so hard but you keep rejecting him. Don't let other voices overpower God.

Stay at it, you're close. And remember God loves you and he watches.
Aug 22, 2016 7:11 AM

Jul 2016
Ramkec said:
Looks like God is sending you signs since you want to believe so hard but you keep rejecting him. Don't let other voices overpower God.

Then why do people get cancer?I'm not forcing to not believe but these are questions Christians should ask.
Aug 22, 2016 7:17 AM

Apr 2013
For me it's really simple.
It doesn't matter if he exists or not, I will always try to be a better person, to fight for i want to have, and to blame myself if can't have what i want.

BUT. if one day, like after i die or whatever, there's god standing in front of me, i really want to grab his collar and freaking yell at him all things that gone wrong in this world.

Aug 22, 2016 7:19 AM

Sep 2014
Then don't.It's better that way than pretending to believe in God.
Aug 22, 2016 7:24 AM

May 2015
TurtleTero8 said:
Ramkec said:

Then why do people get cancer?I'm not forcing to not believe but these are questions Christians should ask.

Because everyone has original sin.
Aug 22, 2016 7:26 AM

Jul 2016
Eminem said:
TurtleTero8 said:

Is that supposed to poke fun at Christianity?
Aug 22, 2016 7:27 AM

Dec 2015
Eminem said:
TurtleTero8 said:

What, god can't fix original sin? I thought he was meant to be omnipotent?
And if he can fix it but refuses to then he's an asshole.
Aug 22, 2016 7:28 AM

Jul 2016
god isn't real. be a good person because you want to be, not for some fairy.
Aug 22, 2016 8:18 AM

Aug 2012
Aye, @Erg_Orgy. Tfw when this turns more biblical among MAL users. I can't be surprised anymore.

Anyway, believe in what you want. Be it goats, God or kings. There is no need for me to shed some light in the time of day. Everything is pretty clear once you stop thinking Neil DeGrasse Tyson knows what he's talking about. For you, @TurtleTero8, my infidel friend.
Aug 22, 2016 8:20 AM

Feb 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Then don't

You're better off that way
                        
Stop calling me your bunny I won't hop and you don't own me
Aug 22, 2016 8:28 AM

Jul 2016
Yarub said:
Aye, @Erg_Orgy. Tfw when this turns more biblical among MAL users. I can't be surprised anymore.

Anyway, believe in what you want. Be it goats, God or kings. There is no need for me to shed some light in the time of day. Everything is pretty clear once you stop thinking Neil DeGrasse Tyson knows what he's talking about. For you, @TurtleTero8, my infidel friend.

Hey i'm not a guy who gets butthurt because someone is Christian or Muslim I just point out facts about your so called "God" there is even proof that most of the Bible's crap can be explained with science.
Aug 22, 2016 9:01 AM
Apr 2015
You don't believe in God? Oh my God! May the Lord bless you as you are possessed by the devil!
Aug 22, 2016 9:06 AM

Nov 2015
Is it really necessary to figure it out?
I haven't and I'm doing just fine.

God may or may not exist. You'll never know. Deal with it.
Aug 22, 2016 9:07 AM

Aug 2013
There's a lot of blasphemy going on in this thread!

Aug 22, 2016 9:10 AM

Sep 2012
Eternal torture, hellfire, and brimstone for you.

Hope you like unending pain and suffering!
Aug 22, 2016 9:29 AM
Feb 2014
nightwave91 said:

Submit your good soul to Allah, my friend. Inshallah
Aug 22, 2016 9:49 AM

Jul 2015
Pray to the sun! You can actually see it and it gives you light and warmth and food. What more could ya ask for?
Aug 22, 2016 9:51 AM

Mar 2014
You can't force yourself to believe in something as ludicrous. People should be nice and ethical because they want to, not for fear of some divine punishment looming over their heads.
Aug 22, 2016 9:55 AM

Feb 2015
I always try to view God as a friend that I haven't met yet.
Aug 22, 2016 9:58 AM

Jan 2015
If god doesn't want you to embrace him, you can always find solace in Lucifer's arms.
Praise satanism.
Aug 22, 2016 10:06 AM

May 2016
I went through the same sort of difficulties. When I was younger, I fervently believed in God and prayed many times per day.

I believed in self-sacrifice, so one of the things I prayed for was that, if God couldn't remove suffering from the world, that He would lay it all on me.

A few years later, I developed chronic depression, schizophrenia, psychosis, and found out I had a mitochondrial disorder that could very well kill me at any time.

After a while, I couldn't take it any more. I couldn't believe in a perfect, omnipotent God. I hated everything about the idea. I cursed His name.

Then, I started thinking about it, long and hard. I considered the options. I looked for something else that would explain things, and I came up empty.

After a long time, I came up with my answer. I believe in a perfect God, and here's why:
Let's say there is no God. What created the universe? Some random happenstance? Many people seem to believe that. So, let me ask you this: how did random chance bring the universe into being however many billions of years ago? It might seem like a simple question, but this was the primary factor in convincing me.

If random chance created the universe, the source that caused the expansion of mass and energy must have had some likelihood of spontaneously causing such an event. But if there is no God, then that thing must have been around forever. Eternity. An infinite number of years. So, if that random chance caused the universe to be created "x" billions of years ago, then how long before that did that thing exist? Still an infinite number of years. So, in reality, that chance would have been triggered "x" billions of years before that "x" billions of years ago. So the universe came into being "x + x" billions of years ago. But before that was still an infinite amount of time. This keeps going until we find that, in fact, the universe has always existed. Because the universe always existed, we can apply this same logic to everything within the universe. Life always existed. We always existed. That's obviously not true.

The only answer is that some sapient entity willfully created the universe. So, was that entity God? Let's examine that. This entity must have always existed, so it is eternal. It must be sapient, so it is willful. What are the other things that define God for us? Perfection and omnipotence? The universe is infinite. This can be proven philosophically. A tiny fraction of this infinite space is composed of matter. What is infinity multiplied by a minute number? Infinity. Therefore, there is infinite energy in the universe. So, whatever created it must have had at least an infinite amount of energy at its disposal. This means that this being had an infinite amount of power. What is omnipotence? "All-powerful." So, this being, wielding all of the power in the universe and then some, meaning an infinite amount of power, must therefore be omnipotent.

What about perfection? Can an imperfect God exist? Well, what is perfection? It is to have all of the absolute best aspects, isn't it? We are dissatisfied with imperfection, and isn't it reasonable to say that with perfection comes satisfaction? Is not satisfaction better than dissatisfaction? So, does this God possess the necessary aspects of perfection? Well, why would He want to be dissatisfied? It makes no sense. So, to become satisfied, either God must change to be perfect, or He, through His omnipotence, must change the definition of perfection. We can imagine the aspects of perfection, so we know what perfection is. If God had changed the definition, then the definition would, by definition, have to have been changed. Therefore, we know that God is perfect.

So why is there this terribly imperfect world filled with terribly imperfect beings? Can we really say that a perfect being would create imperfection? It makes no sense. So, how can God be perfect? After giving this a lot of thought, I came to this conclusion: there must be another omnipotent being. This other being, as it is omnipotent, can also create something. But we just said that omnipotence means satisfaction means perfection, didn't we? I would argue that this other being is not imperfect, meaning it would create an imperfect world, but rather that it is incompatibly perfect with the other. Perfection is to possess all attributes of perfection. If two things possess all of the exact same attributes, they must be the same, because they are, by definition, the same. So, if these two omnipotent beings would remain individual, they must not be the same. But they don't want to be imperfect, because imperfection leads to dissatisfaction. So each one is trying to make its own definition of perfection the "true" definition.

For that reason, these two beings cannot coexist. They must be in conflict, both attempting to change perfection to their definition and leave the other either imperfect or nonexistent. However, what is infinity minus infinity? When these two omnipotence forces clash, what remains? We can show that infinity minus infinity can be equal to any number, including infinity. Therefore, each being must have an infinite amount of power remaining after counteracting the other. Therefore, they cannot act against each other.

So, what can they do? Wouldn't the only other option be to have a third force decide? So, through their omnipotences, both wanting to end it, they create something that doesn't match either definition. A world of imperfect beings, some of them sapient and able to decide which perfection to support. But we are not omnipotent. So, how can we affect something on the scale of infinite power? The answer is simple: there simply need to be an infinite number of beings with limited power. Therefore, after an infinite amount of time, a perfection will be "decided upon." But omnipotence is all power, so it transcends time. Meaning, the current definition we have of "perfection" is the perfection that won out. So why aren't we in a perfect world? Well, I would say there are two reasons: one, changing the situation in this time would lead to a change in everything following after, meaning the end result could change, and two, humanity, the sapient beings with limited power possessing imperfection, was created for the purpose of deciding the end result. Therefore, after the end result was decided, the victorious God would have no reason to change things for us. However, we can imagine that a part of perfection is benevolence. So, if this God is benevolent, then would He not take our souls, to no benefit to Him, and place us in perfection, once there is no risk of changing the material world? I believe that is where the concept of Heaven comes from.

The power of omnipotence is paradoxical. It is something we cannot fully understand, and thus we must rely to some extent on faith. We must believe that the God that matches our definition of perfection is the one that will win, even if we don't know which God that is. One might say that a true God would have omniscience, which would allow Him to know if He would win this battle. That's what is paradoxical about this. If He had omnipotence, He must necessarily have all power. Omniscience would fall under the category of power, because power is, loosely speaking, the ability to cause change. Omniscience is the ability to know everything with 100% certainty. However, can that truly be said? Omnipotence is the power to change anything—anything is possible through it. Therefore, omnipotence could change that certainty granted by omniscience. But if that certainty is removed, it would no longer be omniscience, so it must be unchangeable. But omnipotence can change it. And so on, so we see that these are contradictory. This is impossible for our minds to fully comprehend. That is why we need faith.

This might be an incomplete explanation. If someone kindly points out somewhere I left something out, I will do my best to explain that as well.

I hope this can help you in your search for belief.

Edited to add an explanation of why we are still imperfect.
VagueClarityAug 22, 2016 10:49 AM
"Shocking truth!" ~Chaika Trabant
"How unpleasant." ~Kuriyama Mirai
"Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there." ~Rem
"You don't die for your friends; you live for them." ~Misaka Mikoto
"Now I believe. In my own strength... and in the one who gave me that strength." ~Roze
"I'll be the guard dog of all your fever dreams."
Signature and forum avatar courtesy of @SenpieX
Aug 22, 2016 10:11 AM

Oct 2013
Why would you even want God to be real. God is just a giant asshole if he really was real.
Aug 22, 2016 10:18 AM
Jul 2018
TurtleTero8 said:
nightwave91 said:

If god was real why is there Ebola?Why did he make Ebola? that is proof enough to show you that god isn't real expect for this guy @Yarub.
According to religion God didn't make Ebola. God's creation was perfect. Thank sin and Satan for giving us Ebola.

OT: Faith can't be easily explained. Doubt is based on men's reasoning, but men can never understand God. Cast away your doubts and accepting Faith will be easy.
Aug 22, 2016 10:27 AM

Oct 2013
Lord_Sithis said:
TurtleTero8 said:

According to religion God didn't make Ebola. God's creation was perfect. Thank sin and Satan for giving us Ebola.
OT: Faith can't be easily explained. Doubt is based on men's reasoning, but men can never understand God. Cast away your doubts and accepting Faith will be easy.
lol that is just so convenient. You can't even begin to understand my imaginary friend so you should just blindly believe because I have no valid proof
Also correct me if I'm wrong. But didn't humans become equally as smart as God after eating from the tree of knowledge?
Aug 22, 2016 10:34 AM
Jul 2018
Deknijff said:
Lord_Sithis said:
lol that is just so convenient. You can't even to begin to understand my imaginary friend so you should just blindly believe because I have no valid proof
Also correct me if I'm wrong. But didn't humans become equally as smart as God after eating from the tree of knowledge?
OK, I'll correct you. Humans acquired the knowledge of what is good and what is bad. But humans are weak and easily tempted, and so we choose to do the bad.
That isn't convenient. Humans can't understand God because he is omniscient, omnipresent and almighty. How could humans understand that? We can't even fully understand ourselves.
Aug 22, 2016 10:35 AM

Mar 2015
Lord_Sithis said:
Deknijff said:
lol that is just so convenient. You can't even to begin to understand my imaginary friend so you should just blindly believe because I have no valid proof
OK, I'll correct you. Humans acquired the knowledge of what is good and what is bad. But humans are weak and easily tempted, and so we choose to do the bad.
That isn't convenient. Humans can't understand God because he is omniscient, omnipresent and almighty. How could humans understand that? We can't even fully understand ourselves.

Sometimes, you just gotta give up. Infidels are infidels. They'll believe when they want to.
Aug 22, 2016 10:37 AM

Aug 2015
Don't then. If no one is forcing you, you don't have to force yourself.
Aug 22, 2016 10:44 AM

Jun 2016
Liar said:
Lord_Sithis said:

Sometimes, you just gotta give up. Infidels are infidels. They'll believe when they want to.

You are all infedels before me and @TiaDee , you heathens don't praise the sun.
Aug 22, 2016 10:46 AM

Oct 2013
Lord_Sithis said:
Deknijff said:
oh ok then thank you for correcting me.
I understand myself very well honestly so that doesn't feel like a valid argument
I understand all 3 concepts of which you mentioned so what's the problem with understanding the principals of a god here?
Aug 22, 2016 10:46 AM
Jul 2018
Erg_Orgy said:
Liar said:

Praise The Sun! Let us embrace the sunshine and engage in jolly cooperation!
Aug 22, 2016 10:47 AM

Mar 2015
Erg_Orgy said:
Liar said:

The sun? Will that make me a better manslut? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Aug 22, 2016 10:52 AM

Jun 2016
@Liar yes it will, now convert or thou shalt perish.

@Lord_Sithis
Aug 22, 2016 10:53 AM
Jul 2018
Deknijff said:
Lord_Sithis said:
I understand myself very well honestly so that doesn't feel like a valid argument
I understand all 3 concepts of which you mentioned so what's the problem with understanding the principals of a god here?
No you don't. How do the atoms that make your body work? Why do you think as you do? Who exactly are you and why? Not even scientists know. They know very little about the human species, about our world, about the universe.
The problem is that just because of that humans can't understand God. Think of it like this: can bacteria understand humans? Pretty much the same.
Aug 22, 2016 10:53 AM
Jul 2018
Don't force yourself to believe. That's the wrong way of doing things.
Aug 22, 2016 10:56 AM

Mar 2008
Clearly your view of God is tainted by the Abrahamic religions. Praying till you feel something takes a calm focus and practice like meditation does. If you only want peace that doesn't have to come from a god, just look at how there are atheists at peace. Peace can come from the external world and internal self.
Aug 22, 2016 10:58 AM

Mar 2015
@Erg_Orgy

It already feels so good and it's only been a minute since I converted.
Aug 22, 2016 11:01 AM

Jan 2016
to the person who just wrote the huge essay above: holy fuck

op you dont have to believe in god. you dont have to stress about not believing in god, as a concept or a true being or as anything. if youre unsure you dont have to figure it out right now
Aug 22, 2016 11:18 AM

May 2016
grimace said:
to the person who just wrote the huge essay above: holy fuck

It's only about 1200 words, but did it help/change your view at all? I'm considering writing it out as a whole book; that was probably a too-simplified version.
VagueClarityAug 22, 2016 11:38 AM
"Shocking truth!" ~Chaika Trabant
"How unpleasant." ~Kuriyama Mirai
"Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there." ~Rem
"You don't die for your friends; you live for them." ~Misaka Mikoto
"Now I believe. In my own strength... and in the one who gave me that strength." ~Roze
"I'll be the guard dog of all your fever dreams."
Signature and forum avatar courtesy of @SenpieX
Aug 22, 2016 11:22 AM

Oct 2013
Lord_Sithis said:
Deknijff said:
No you don't. How do the atoms that make your body work? Why do you think as you do? Who exactly are you and why? Not even scientists know. They know very little about the human species, about our world, about the universe.
The problem is that just because of that humans can't understand God. Think of it like this: can bacteria understand humans? Pretty much the same.
I would assume they work as the building blocks of what makes up everything like how my cells are the building blocks of what make up my body. Now I'm not going to say I know exactly everything here right now since I'm not a scientist but I understand for the most part how they work.
I think how I think simply because of neurology of how my brain has developed from DNA I got from my mom and dad and my environment of life.
I am me simply because I exist do to the fact that my parents engaged in sex which created me.
So yes I do know for the most part
Aug 22, 2016 11:24 AM
Sep 2015
Erg_Orgy said:
Liar said:

Check my profile you rebel heathen, I only serve the one true god, Sith Lord and Harbinger of Balance, Darth Vader.
Aug 22, 2016 11:30 AM

Jun 2016
TiaDee said:
Erg_Orgy said:

Check my profile you rebel heathen, I only serve the one true god, Sith Lord and Harbinger of Balance, Darth Vader.

HERETIC!!!!!Burn the witch!@Liar get the stake, @Lord_Sithis get the hay, we're burning her!

You want a real god?Fine I'll give you one:
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Fill this thread with the most questionable statement or two you can think of!

IAmOdie - Apr 20

30 by Zarutaku »»
11 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

670 by SynthwaveCrusade »»
53 minutes ago

Poll: » school uniform or no school uniform which is better? ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 21

99 by LoveYourEyes »»
1 hour ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

38 by fae »»
2 hours ago

» What do you think about online friendship?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 21

42 by fae »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.