Forum Settings
Forums

What genre has the most rewatch/readability?

New
Aug 21, 2016 2:58 PM

Jan 2015
I don't know if there was a topic like this before, if there was then I'm sorry.

So, I would like to know your opinions about what genres can you rewatch or reread most, or which looses less in enjoyment?

For me the most easily rewatchable are action/fantasy, and the least is mystery, since a big part of the story focuses on unfolding secrets, once you know it it's not so exciting, so maybe after 10-20years you could give them another go, but def. not in a short time.
Aug 21, 2016 3:05 PM

Mar 2015
Mystery and all other series that mainly use a cool story and plottwists to excite the audience are definitely the least enjoyable for me to rewatch. Unless it's some sort of masterpiece that's another story ;)

So I guess SoL series or just plotless comedy anime would still be enjoyable if you watch them twice.
I personally also like rewatching anime that I watched when I was a little kid.
Aug 21, 2016 3:05 PM

Jul 2016
I don't know. I enjoy rewatching mystery type anime to try and catch hints of the big reveal along the way. I definitely did that for Madoka and Another.
I AM MAD SCIENTIST. IS SO COOL.

You know the rest.
Aug 21, 2016 3:11 PM

Oct 2014
I haven't rewatched any anime but I think I can answer this about other things. I think SoL work well to rewatch since they're mostly about character interactions and can be just as enjoyable the second time through (or more, there are some episodes of Western shows I've seen 20+ times). Mystery doesn't work quite as well on a rewatch since you already know what's going to happen, but if it's a mystery like Madoka or SEL then it could still work on a rewatch or even be more enjoyable later.
Aug 21, 2016 3:21 PM

Mar 2010
Stories with some sort of time travel come to mind. Steins;Gate and Madoka for example, you get to notice some things you thought weren't important previously and it feels really great when you discover something like that. But then again, I'm sure that you can miss a lot of hidden little things about any good show.

And I'll actually disagree with Mysteries not being a good rewatch. In a good mystery series, you should be able to notice so much more about whatever the mystery is than you did on your first time watching.

Aug 21, 2016 3:29 PM

Mar 2014
Psychological, Scifi, and dementia, especially stuff that takes multiple viewings to fully appreciate like Akira, SEL, and FLCL. Great art helps a lot too.
Aug 21, 2016 3:33 PM

Apr 2015
I'm really surprised no one said it yet.

Hentai.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 21, 2016 3:48 PM

May 2015
Dementia + Mecha because FLCL has infinite rewatchability and NGE is the best anime ever.

Also:
JkayW said:

Hentai.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Aug 21, 2016 3:49 PM

Sep 2012
JkayW said:

Hentai.

Yea me too.Where is everyone?

Let's add ecchi and harem too.
Aug 21, 2016 3:58 PM

Feb 2015
I find I can rewatch Slice of Life shows a lot. Including comedy, moeblob, ecchi or just straight up slice of life. I find really intense action shows least appealing to rewatch. they can be great, some of the best anime, but I like them to be a 1-time thing. And yeah mystery shows where most of the enjoyment comes from not knowing what will happen would also be bad to rewatch.
Aug 21, 2016 11:04 PM

Jan 2014
For me it would probably be harem/action/romance/thriller.
Aug 21, 2016 11:12 PM
Oct 2014
The shows I find most interesting to rewatch are those where I can get something new out of it each time. This usually means that it does multiple things well.

Some shows have several interesting characters, and in those cases I might watch it several times choosing a new "favorite" character each time. This helps me to see it from multiple perspectives, which sometimes means catching subtle nuances I might have missed before.

Some shows have great artwork, so I might watch the show once for the plot and once for the art. Likewise with the soundtrack.

Some shows weave an intricate tapestry of interwoven plot lines, and I might have an "aha!" moment the second time around as I catch something I missed the first time.

Some shows rely on mystery and dramatic tension in order to keep you glued to your seat, yet after it's finished and I know how it ends, I might want to watch it again to see how the pieces of the puzzle fit together knowing the end from the beginning. Or, especially when it also does other things well, I can forget about the plot and focus on those other elements.

But in general, the shows I find the most rewatchable are comedy and slice of life. In these genres, the background elements like humor and character quirks are more important than the foreground elements like plot. The strength of a plot-driven show (the feeling that it's always moving forward and going somewhere) is its weakness when it comes to rewatchability, because when you start over you might feel like you've lost ground. Not so when the show never really goes anywhere. That kind of show is more relaxing, because within just an episode or two you reach a certain equilibrium where you no longer have to worry about what happens next.

Plus, some jokes are still funny the fourth or fifth time around.
Aug 21, 2016 11:19 PM

Feb 2015
JkayW said:

Hentai.

Lol... You guys don't know how many times I've re-used my doujin/original collection...

And yes, you said it right.
Aug 21, 2016 11:26 PM

Jun 2015
JkayW said:

Hentai.

The only correct answer.

Especially for niche fetishes.
Aug 21, 2016 11:30 PM

Nov 2014
JkayW said:

Hentai.
you are right on the spot for this one,

Aug 21, 2016 11:37 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
JkayW said:

Hentai.

why would i say that when i can say ecchi instead, u know.... u can always go back after you're done with the episode instead of "being distracted while watching" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

i guess if i watched hentai i'd agree... basically anything you can watch again... for research purposes ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Aug 22, 2016 5:19 AM

Mar 2016
The best are Mystery and Romance, IMLTHO.
Mrs. Landingham, what's next?
Aug 22, 2016 5:45 AM

Jul 2014
I'd say romance....as romance genres nowadays are very popular
Aug 22, 2016 5:51 AM

Aug 2016
Don't know if you could call "trash" a genre, but SAO is certainly the only show I've rewatched (multiple times at that). I don't like rewatching shows unless I can find bad plotholes and character development hilarious as hell.
Aug 22, 2016 5:51 AM

May 2016
Thriller, people like cheap thrilling trick, as long as something give them a thrill feeling, the rest of content doesn't matter.
ZilfOct 7, 2016 11:21 AM
Aug 22, 2016 6:12 AM

Nov 2009
For me, the anime with the most rewatch value is Strike the Blood. I think I watched it 3 or 4 times.
Maybe it's a good mix of action, ecchi harem and power fantasy that makes it easy to watch when I do not feel like powering through the critics' idea of good anime (you know, the ones with suffering, loneliness and other things I don't want to experience when I'm feeling low).
Aug 22, 2016 6:17 AM

Feb 2015
I don't think the genre has a factor on me rewatching/rereading something, but on the title itself.

So far the only TV series I rewatched is NHK ni Youkoso, because of character analysis, mainly.
Aug 22, 2016 6:22 AM

Feb 2016
SoL with cgdct are enjoyable to rewatch IMO.
also comedy. never get bored to rewatch some arc in gintama series
and also hentai, just like everyone here
Aug 22, 2016 6:30 AM

Aug 2016
I really enjoy rewatching Slice of life/comedy and series where you have to pay attention to particular scenes ecc. Rewatching them helps you to understand some things you may have missed.

お持ち帰り (/^-^(^ ^*)/ ❤
Aug 22, 2016 6:34 AM

Jul 2012
slice of life, romance, drama. realistic stuff is very good to rewatch.
Aug 22, 2016 6:35 AM
Aug 2016
Romance,Comedy,Action is the most powerful combination ofcourse,I preffer manhwa for these genres since they had much better ending with the romance. Manga sucks for mostly had netorare endings .-.
Aug 22, 2016 7:10 AM

Mar 2016
VariFox said:
Don't know if you could call "trash" a genre, but SAO is certainly the only show I've rewatched (multiple times at that). I don't like rewatching shows unless I can find bad plotholes and character development hilarious as hell.

Dood, I'm so with you! My friends sometimes hate me for sitting there just pointing out all the dumb shit in their favorite animes and TV shows.
Aug 22, 2016 7:27 AM

Apr 2015
SOLs would be the obvious answer, well made ones even better
Aug 22, 2016 7:29 AM

May 2015
Sol, comedy, and mystery for me. And probably a lil romance, in terms of readability.

Aug 22, 2016 7:49 AM
Jul 2018
A good mystery is very rewatchable, because you can only fully understand it after multiple rewatches.
Aug 22, 2016 8:48 AM

Nov 2014
Hentai

30 characters is needed to post this comment
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Aug 22, 2016 8:52 AM
Sep 2015
Time Travel, sometimes looking back after completing the series shows old scenes from new angles

The Monogatari series in general. if you aint watching in chronological order then rewatching it kinda gives the same feel as watching a time travel anime.

Most Mystery Anime

Harem, Romance, Ecchi - just because.
Aug 22, 2016 9:38 AM

Sep 2015
Slice of life since the feeling you get from it can be recreated in a rewatch, also
Aug 22, 2016 6:47 PM

Aug 2016
I like gore and horror :D I also enjoy mystery. I see a lot of popular anime be horror and gory.
Aug 22, 2016 9:20 PM

Apr 2015
For me the best shows to rewatch are ones with a lot of foreshadowing, because every time you watch it again, you can see new clues or hints about whats to come (examples:Madoka, NGE, S;G)

But the show I have rewatched the most times is Gurren Laagan, a total of like 6 times, and Kill La Kill, 3 times. So, the action/comedy ones are big ones for me as well
Aug 22, 2016 9:22 PM

Mar 2016
I think some comedy series without plot is have their enjoyement to rewatch

Aug 22, 2016 9:42 PM

Feb 2010
genre is a lie constructed by society if i like the show enough ill re watch it
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Aug 23, 2016 4:26 AM

Jul 2015
You can usually guarantee anything Mystery or Psychological has some kind of rewatch value to it, since after completing it you can go back and see it again with the knowledge of what actually is happening and catch all the little hints and foreshadowings that may have gone over your head.

But on a personal level, there's a lot of Slice of Life and Romance series that I've watched multiple times and enjoyed enjoyed the heck out of, sometimes even more than the first.
Aug 28, 2016 1:15 AM

Sep 2013
For me it's often comedy's, shoujo demographic, and slice of life shows that are easily rewatchable since they're usually casual watches

but for sure psychological shows deserve rewatches to fully understand

a total exception would be HxH ;A;
Aug 28, 2016 1:31 AM

Jul 2016
It's JoJo and Gintama.

They are genres themselves.
Aug 28, 2016 1:37 AM

Nov 2013
For me the eaisest to rewatch is relaxing SoL, romcom or pure comedy. It's always fun to watch them.

The hardest one to rewatch us drama or sad scenes. My fragile heart can't take it
Aug 28, 2016 7:55 AM

May 2015
Slice-of-life, definitely. More than any other genre, this genre relies more on what's happening now. There are rarely any conclusions - it's always about how the characters to react what's going on. Everything is a part of a larger, untold story.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 28, 2016 8:16 AM

Mar 2015
Comedy by far.

Also mystery/psychological. It's fun to notice some little details which you wouldn't have noticed without knowledge of the show.
Aug 29, 2016 1:25 AM

May 2015
Oikura said:
Comedy by far.

Also mystery/psychological. It's fun to notice some little details which you wouldn't have noticed without knowledge of the show.

I disagree about Mystery. It's a genre that relies a lot about the conclusion, about figuring out who did what. Once you know that, a lot of it becomes pointless. Death Note doesn't hold the same power once you know all the endings.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

30 by PlasticRobot »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - 56 minutes ago

9 by RobertBobert »»
14 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 5 hours ago

12 by Rhaelynne »»
15 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

13 by Rhaelynne »»
20 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

26 by FedeMetal »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.