Forum Settings
Forums

Should a guy pay for the meal on the first date?

New
Aug 21, 2016 1:20 PM

Aug 2016
So this topic came to mind and my friends' opinions were diverse. I think it's not necessary as girls can pay for themselves plus you'll be able to avoid golddiggers. Though one friend said you should as it would leave the impression that you don't give a shit about the date. My other friend wasn't sure what to think. What do you guys think about this?
~
this night has opened my eyes
and I will never sleep again
the dream has gone
~

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 21, 2016 1:23 PM

Aug 2014
I've always been the one to pay. I remember someone saying that whoever asked the other out should be the one to pay for the date, which makes sense to me.
Aug 21, 2016 1:24 PM

Mar 2016
Hey dude, No, it's sexist that the man must pay.
TRIGGURED SJW'S TAKE DOWN TEH CHILD PR0N SIGHT!!! BECURZE MANS ARE SEXISM!!!

Aug 21, 2016 1:25 PM

Sep 2015
I feel guilty if a guy pays for me lol.
I'd rather we share it.
And even if he did pay for me, the next date I'd pay for him because I think its unfair in my opinion. I don't know xD
"Every day that you spent searching for the womb of your rebirth.
Preserving every sacred organ just to show her what she's worth.

Exhaling all of the darkness dissipates
Beauty personifies, dead dreams animate.

Defeated from the moment she came.

Now we're sound and safe, you're the one I'll follow.
Locked hands til our old age, and never letting go."

Aug 21, 2016 1:26 PM

Mar 2016
Ardanaz said:
I've always been the one to pay. I remember someone saying that whoever asked the other out should be the one to pay for the date, which makes sense to me.
Yup, and seeing as "MEN MUST BE THE ONE ASKING!!!" then women generally should pay.

Aug 21, 2016 1:27 PM
Jul 2018
I think if you asked them yeah since you invited them but if they want to pay half or all nothing is stopping them.
Aug 21, 2016 1:27 PM
Mar 2015
All the girls I have gone out with have insisted we split the bill but I always pay the whole thing for the first date.
Aug 21, 2016 1:28 PM

Sep 2015
Split the bill between you two if she feels bad for you paying it?
Aug 21, 2016 1:28 PM

Aug 2013
I'm a bit traditionalist, so yeah I think so, especially if it was the guy who asked the girl out. If the girl insists that they split the bill, or if she wants to pay, then that's cool too I guess. Whatever makes them get along.
Aug 21, 2016 1:30 PM

Aug 2014
RottedRabbit said:
Yup, and seeing as "MEN MUST BE THE ONE ASKING!!!" then women generally should pay.

Yeah, men are more likely to be the one asking the girl out. Though not always, so keep looking :)

ozeanfinity said:
I'd rather we share it.
And even if he did pay for me, the next date I'd pay for him because I think its unfair in my opinion. I don't know xD

Wish more were like you ^^

Aug 21, 2016 1:30 PM

Nov 2012
I think it's nice when a guy shows he's willing to pay for the meal (if he asked the girl out) but it's not necessary. I never went out for a meal with someone, but I did go out for a drink and I always carried money to pay for myself even though I rarely did because guys always insisted on paying themselves. However, I do feel uncomfortable when someone else is paying for me so I think the best choice would be to split the bill.
Come here and play with my darkness
Aug 21, 2016 1:31 PM

Aug 2016
RottedRabbit said:
Ardanaz said:
hey dude! Yeah I don't like this standard either, tho I would want to be the one to ask, so I can be proud of myself afterwards :P
~
the dream has gone
~

Aug 21, 2016 1:33 PM

Aug 2016
ozeanfinity said:
I'd rather we share it.
Yeah I feel the same way about household chores, I wouldn't let a girl do all of that since I would feel bad not doing anything in return for the house. I like an equal relationship :)
~
the dream has gone
~

Aug 21, 2016 1:36 PM

Sep 2015
Ardanaz said:

ozeanfinity said:
I'd rather we share it.

Wish more were like you ^^

Ah, thank you xD

I really do think it's unfair though. If the majority of women are letting men pay for the entire date/dates then that's kind of rude ^-^;.

Aug 21, 2016 1:37 PM

Aug 2015
Moog said:
I'm a bit traditionalist, so yeah I think so, especially if it was the guy who asked the girl out.

Yep, I think so too. It's alright to split the bill in half, but only if the girl suggests it. It might look better if the boy insists on paying though. It's not about if the girl can pay or not, it's just a common manner like opening the door for her or walking her home/to the station.
Aug 21, 2016 1:38 PM

Sep 2015
BG_Anime said:
ozeanfinity said:
I'd rather we share it.
Yeah I feel the same way about household chores, I wouldn't let a girl do all of that since I would feel bad not doing anything in return for the house. I like an equal relationship :)

That's very kind. It's nice to see people that are supportive of their significant others ^-^

Aug 21, 2016 1:40 PM

Aug 2014
ozeanfinity said:
Ah, thank you xD

I really do think it's unfair though. If the majority of women are letting men pay for the entire date/dates then that's kind of rude ^-^;.

Yeah, maybe it is. Splitting the bill seems the most fair to me. I also find it much more attractive if a girl wants to split the bill and doesn't just let the guy pay for it all.
Aug 21, 2016 1:42 PM
Oct 2014
I think everyone should always expect to pay for themselves, but if somebody offers to pay the bill then sure, that's nice

Aug 21, 2016 1:48 PM

Oct 2014
Since generally men are expected to pay for the meal I think it shows a sign of maturity if the girl offers to pay for her part. It also shows that she isn't expecting to rely on you for everything or for you to buy her stuff just because "you're dating", which would make for a better girlfriend. If the girl doesn't offer to pay then it would be rude for the guy to force her to, but if she does offer then that's a good thing.
Aug 21, 2016 1:53 PM

Aug 2015
Depends on the girl I suppose.

If she is from a traditional family, and her dad knows you are on a date, and she seems to be good wife material then you will be paying, and be glad about it.

If she is non-traditional, split the bill.

One or the other.

It is easy to get confused, but it really isn't that hard. Look at the parents.
idk about you but the closer a girl gets to looking like ronald mcdonald, the more aroused i become. CAV

where can we cast our eyes to @PoruMairu who thinks of himself a member of the true church. Helion.
Aug 21, 2016 2:07 PM

Aug 2015
Well let me do the impossible and date a girl then I will think about that lol but if it ever happens I think splitting the bill is the best thing
Aug 21, 2016 2:13 PM

Aug 2016
ozeanfinity said:
BG_Anime said:

That's very kind. It's nice to see people that are supportive of their significant others ^-^
same goes for you! I bet you're really kind :)
~
the dream has gone
~

Aug 21, 2016 2:13 PM

May 2014
Whoever asked the other on the date should offer to pay. I do however think the person who was asked should be nice and split the check.

On a side note I went on a few dates with this guy who really insisted he pay no matter what I said. He actually go really rude about it (making comments about how he makes more then me anyway) which was a major turn off for me.
Aug 21, 2016 2:14 PM

Aug 2016
Revolt1021 said:
Well let me do the impossible and date a girl then I will think about that lol but if it ever happens I think splitting the bill is the best thing
same goes for me haha not like I've ever been on a date, just looking towards the future
~
the dream has gone
~

Aug 21, 2016 2:29 PM

Aug 2015
BG_Anime said:
Revolt1021 said:
same goes for me haha not like I've ever been on a date, just looking towards the future
Dont worry bro no matter what we will never give up and on a date with girls lol
Revoltage1022Aug 21, 2016 2:34 PM
Aug 21, 2016 2:50 PM

Jan 2013
If he wants to then why not? I don't think it should be considered an obligation, though.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Aug 21, 2016 2:51 PM

Aug 2016
Revolt1021 said:
BG_Anime said:
Dont worry bro no matter what we will never give up and on a date with girls lol
Revolt1021 said:
BG_Anime said:
yeahhhhh! We'll never give up! :D someday we'll find our true love
~
the dream has gone
~

Aug 21, 2016 2:59 PM

Jul 2014
Rarusu_ said:
I think everyone should always expect to pay for themselves, but if somebody offers to pay the bill then sure, that's nice
This, no reason to expect anything else honestly.
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Aug 21, 2016 3:22 PM

Apr 2013
You do whatever the fuck you want. You want to pay for the bitch? Pay. You don't want to? Don't pay for her. Simple as fuck.
Aug 21, 2016 3:58 PM

Jul 2015
it shouldn't matter. you pay for what you order.
Aug 21, 2016 4:49 PM

Feb 2016
The guy shouldn't take paying for meals as an obligation. In fact, I always have my money with me and expect to pay the bill for myself but when the other person insists to pay for both orders, I don't really deny but go with it instead. I actually feel guilty when a guy pays for me ( x_x), it's something I'd rather share tbh.
Aug 21, 2016 4:51 PM

May 2014
Yes or no, depends on the girl I guess, but I think that you should buy her lunch the first time you go out.
Aug 21, 2016 5:18 PM

Jun 2015
I've always been the one to pay if it's food, movies, we split the bill.

Mostly because I always choose the place to eat and they cost a lot for a student's budget.
Aug 21, 2016 7:00 PM

Jan 2015
I've always been a fair gf, I'd always pay half of everything, I think it's bs to let one person pay for everything

ur opinion = shit
Aug 21, 2016 9:45 PM

Aug 2016
No not really, in fact if there is an issue with the partner paying then that says something.
Who is this "Samurai who smells of Sunflowers"?
-Jin, Samurai Champloo
Aug 21, 2016 9:51 PM

Jul 2012
There's no "should", it's courtesy if he wants to pay and it's fine if she accepts it only if he was the one who asked her out. And it's fine if the girl offers too.
Aug 21, 2016 10:04 PM

Sep 2012
Idealistically, whoever asks the other person out, pays, baring any financial difficulty on either end.

Or split the check.

But generally guys should be paying more often. It makes a good impression the ladies, and it's more often than not a pride thing for guys.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Aug 21, 2016 10:07 PM

Mar 2008
The criteria should not be based on gender.

On a first date the person who asked the other out should always pay. Each additional date the initiator of the date should also pay except in the case of a mutually decided date, in which case either a split pay is made or you alternate between who pays if both have a source of income. If you are the initiator of a date but do not have an income you should talk things over on how you two are going to go about things, but in the case of a first date for such a situation you should go somewhere that doesn't cost anything so you dont have to rely on your date to pay.
Aug 21, 2016 10:40 PM

Nov 2015
Ideally I'd like to go dutch, but it really depends on the situation.
It's like if I was the one who did the asking I'd be the first one to reach into my pocket, just about when she's butt in with her "no that's alright, I'll pay for my half". It's actually worked like 100% of the time so far..
Aug 21, 2016 11:07 PM

Jan 2015
Nah have her pay instead. Equality am I right? When you get done eating tell her you're going to go to the bathroom but actually go to your car and go home. She will be forced to pay.
Aug 21, 2016 11:28 PM

Feb 2012
Why would I go to eat with some stranger in the first place? That's a horrible way to get to know people. When you eat, you shut up. I rather get some drinks instead.
Aug 21, 2016 11:28 PM

Feb 2015
Should we dump all the "rules" involving dating?

Why yes.
Aug 21, 2016 11:54 PM
Feb 2014
Only if at the Wal-Mart part of the date if he sharts.
Aug 21, 2016 11:57 PM
Jul 2018
Well, I'd certainly prefer not to be the one to pay.
Aug 22, 2016 2:33 AM

May 2015
Equality means not getting free food.

Deal with it.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 22, 2016 4:06 AM

Sep 2014
I always pay on the first date.If the girl though wants to split the bill it makes me feel better,because she doesn't seem to go out with me because of my money,but still I say we'll split on the next date.Now,if she insists that much I cannot refuse her offer.My problem would be if she had told me that is my obligation to pay for her,then I would have got pissed,because this is rude and insulting.
Aug 22, 2016 4:11 AM
Jan 2015
I have always paid for my own meals. Well, minus for a few special occasions that is, but most of the time. Because of that my answer would be no. I think a guy paying for a girl's meals in general is just romanticization if anything.
Aug 22, 2016 4:12 AM

Sep 2015
the feminist inside me says: "let her pay for it"

Aug 22, 2016 4:25 AM

Aug 2016
lequack said:
All the girls I have gone out with have insisted we split the bill but I always pay the whole thing for the first date.

+1. I set up something elaborate that draws out the date away from the room and then pay out my own pocket. She comes back to find the bill already paid and can't spend 15 minutes arguing over it because she's indecisive and "feels bad".

Jesus just take it, I'm paying. I AM PAYING.
Aug 22, 2016 4:47 AM

Jun 2016
I mean, it is nice when a guy does pay for the meal on the first date, but at the same time I don't like it. Just makes me feel guilty cuz I eat way too much.

I remember this one time I kept fighting my ex for 30 minutes saying that we should share the bill, but he kept insisting on paying it himself...

〞𝙳𝚊𝚖𝚗 𝚑𝚞𝚑 𝚏𝚎𝚎𝚕𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚍 𝚒𝚗 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚕𝚒𝚝𝚢
𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚏𝚕𝚒𝚌𝚝 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚊𝚕, 𝚖𝚢 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚍 𝚑𝚞𝚛𝚝𝚜〝
- 민윤기
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » How will things look in 40 - 50 years?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 7

35 by Spunkert »»
30 minutes ago

» How much of the world is autistic

LenRea - Apr 4

48 by NubFix »»
1 hour ago

» Top 10 most iconic manga creators objectively ranked

AlphaMaleScotty - 3 hours ago

3 by Zettaiken »»
2 hours ago

» Will aliens finally appear this century?

Absurdo_N - Apr 7

43 by LightWorker »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » People who leave MAL (finish the thought)

IpreferEcchi - 8 hours ago

2 by Zettaiken »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.