Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 20, 2016 3:00 PM

Aug 2015
Ignorant people seem to always think there is hope for everyone A lot of them say that Suicide is cowardly. I disagree. The one thing that is a constant source of apprehension and fear in humanity, is death. No one knows what happens when you die. Is there an after life? A heaven or a hell? Are we reborn? Or do we simply disappear?

To kill yourself takes a ton of courage.
It takes a lot of bravery to end your own life. Someone may think it is cowardly because it is an 'easy' way out, or because it is selfish. I disagree. It is not easy to deal with suicidal thoughts and the actions are very hard to carry out.
In my mind, the choice to die is one of the most brave choices one can make.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 20, 2016 3:08 PM

Nov 2008
Yeah, it must take enormous guts to go against your survival instinct and end it all completely. On the other hand, some of them are simultaneously cowardly for not having the courage to fix temporary problems.

Aug 20, 2016 3:15 PM

Mar 2010
If you have the courage to kill yourself, have the courage to live.
butchered quote from nhk

Aug 20, 2016 3:20 PM

Apr 2013
This might just be the edgiest thread i've seen on MAL
WHEN THE SEASON LINEUP IS ACTUALLY GOOD

Aug 20, 2016 3:22 PM
Feb 2016
Hexacosichoron said:
butchered quote from nhk

^^^
I completely agree.
Tbh, unless its a drastic life or death decision... most people in a calm and "normal" state of mind don't choose to kill themselves. They usually aren't thinking rationally in the first place... so I am not sure if its an issue of bravery or cowardice... maybe more of an issue with chemical imbalance... or temporary loss of sanity.
Aug 20, 2016 3:24 PM

May 2014
Thats like saying its brave to murder someone just because it requires some sort of risk to do it. Its not at all the same.

Suicide isnt some kind of noble act, I dont care how shitty you're life is, dont make excuses for why you think you should die unless they involve saving other lives at the least.
I've been here way too long...
Aug 20, 2016 3:26 PM

Apr 2009
yeah. bravery or a massive amount of (often impulsive) motivation fueled by mental illness. either way - you're romanticizing this shit, my dude
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Aug 20, 2016 3:27 PM

Oct 2014
Sometimes suicide is the best answer. If someone is suffering from a terminal disease and they are no longer able to enjoy life then I think it's unethical to force them to continue their agony until the disease kills them. If someone is suffering from a mental disorder that causes their brain to not release enough serotonin then they should seek other help in order to bring them back on their feet and become a useful member of society. They can be cured and I believe that anyone who has some capability of enjoying life shouldn't have to leave because of a reversible brain malfunction. In some of the Middle East suicide bombers are told "when you press this button you are sent directly to heaven", so that doesn't take too much bravery.

The most important factors of suicide include how much the person was suffering at the time (sometimes no life seems better than a shitty one) and the ambiguity of what happens after (there are plenty of machines we trust even when they have the capability of altering us). Here's an interesting thing to think about: how different are full retrograde amnesia and dementia from death?
Aug 20, 2016 3:29 PM
Feb 2014
I'm not going to convince OP otherwise but most suicidal people are completely incapable of thinking and acting on their own, and that alone speaks for itself, especially when half of the time they preach the same ideology they don't do. Most of pro-suicide thoughts/behaviors come from the same echo chambers that all operate like a cult and completely disregard the outside world for its very existence. If that isn't sad, I don't know what is.

No I don't have any empathy for these fools.
Aug 20, 2016 3:29 PM

Jun 2016
I wouldn't use the words "easy" or "brave" in this situation as I believe they are misleading.

As someone who have really a hard life myself, I can totally relate to someone's pain and how unberable it can be. I had my moments when I wanted everything to end. But, I believe we are not meant to kill ourselves. As humans, we have a great potential to overcome hardships. We can even forget about our beloeved ones who passed away and start laughing again. You might thinki I am naive, but I talk from experience, there is nothing a person cnanot overcome if they put their mind to it, of course we all need some time to sort things out. It can last for a month or for years. But it pretty much depends on how we handle the problem.

I agree that committing suicide is not something everyone can do. And yeah, people dont know what awaits them after that. But it also means the person chooses the unknown over the known because the known is too painful for them. You are right that running into the unknown requires some sort of courage, but dealing with the known requires that too. Knowing the pain and still choosing to go on is something I appreciate in people.

We need to change our pesrpectives, and our attitude toward life no matter what we've gone through. We have the potential to do so. Plus, it is much satisfying to overcome hardships than to never have them at all. It makes you grow in a way that nothing else can.

When you commit suicide, your whole life is over. Again, I don't wanna sound too optimistic but with suicide, you do not only end your pain and problems but also end your potential to overcome them and be a person who has gone through pain and come out of it no matter what.

So, it is not like ending your life is more difficult than staying alive. Both are difficult, but I sincerely believe in the latter option.
Aug 20, 2016 3:35 PM
Jul 2018
I mean go ahead no one is stopping you besides your need for attention.

Write a poem about bees and their knees
Aug 20, 2016 3:48 PM

Aug 2015
Hope .. ahh ..to be numb .. to accept and allow life to be as it is.. if i could only be like you.
Aug 20, 2016 3:49 PM

Apr 2009
dude it's most likely not gonna work if you don't have the resources (and a lot of people don't), and you'll just get hospitalized and possibly temporarily or permanently physically disabled.
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Aug 20, 2016 3:49 PM
Feb 2016
nightwave91 said:

It takes a lot of bravery to end your own life. Someone may think it is cowardly because it is an 'easy' way out, or because it is selfish. I disagree. It is not easy to deal with suicidal thoughts and the actions are very hard to carry out.

Also... choosing to die isn't brave unless you're dying for a cause or to save a life. The actual act of killing yourself has to be terrifying at the very end, yes. But choosing death over handling an issue that's most likely fixable? idk. Seems like a waste.

What happens after we die? Though i am a spiritual person... i honestly think nothing happens. I think we just cease to exist.
Aug 20, 2016 4:00 PM

Aug 2015
I am not seeking attention or sympathy just sharing my ideas here
Aug 20, 2016 4:10 PM

Aug 2012
@nightwave91 Lol, how can you simply state that I have no intellectual nor mental depth? I sure do know that what you have said is not intellectual in the slightest, And may I ask what the hell you mean by 'mental depth'? You mean that I have my enjoyment in life? As in, I never felt sorrow? Save us your failed love story OP. I'm always ready to meet my maker, just not the short cut. I've only found imbecility and ignorance talking to you.
YarubAug 20, 2016 4:32 PM
Aug 20, 2016 4:16 PM
Oct 2014
Lol, there is nothing "intellectual" about commiting suicide or smart overall. I'm not gonna say though that it is always based on irrational decisions. Some people are going around for years thinking about this, considering the consequences of the choices they can make. If you don't want to live your entire life like a vegetable on drugs, I can have sympathy. I don't support it, but I can have sympathy.

You may not be a coward for commiting suicide, but you're not brave either. Bravery is for heroes, people who don't want to die but are ready to risk their lives for other people and a greater cause. Don't ever compare yourself with heroes. Nobody is going to thank you for taking your own life, because you are doing it only for yourself.

Aug 20, 2016 4:21 PM

Jul 2016
everyone has problems. ya gotta live long enough to fix em and long enough to realize what a little bitch you were being because in time, it won't matter.
and that is what i learned on my week long college orientation.
Aug 20, 2016 4:30 PM

Jul 2015
What takes courage for one person may not for another,as with any things. Depends on the person but no, it's not courageous person, maybe for you, sure.
Aug 20, 2016 4:35 PM

Jul 2015
I'm a coward for wanting to live, since I wouldn't face death, the unknown.
I'm a coward for wanting to die because I'm not facing life's difficulties.
I can't win lmao
Aug 20, 2016 4:52 PM

May 2013
I mean, japanese generals would commit hara kari if they dishonoured themselves. now that's totally way past psycho, but also pretty hardcore. Personally I think if it's a horrible idea. Bad karma :I
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Aug 20, 2016 5:00 PM

Aug 2013
Suicide is neither brave nor cowardly its up to the individual to decide that based on their personal values. Suicide is just an act of ending ones life based on a variety of potential reasons.

Ive had a couple of drinks and I still know that shit. Brave, cowardly don't mean shit its subjective. All it is, is an act that others will react to by their own belief systems.
Aug 20, 2016 5:10 PM

Jan 2014
Oh boy, OP reminds me of another pro-suicide special snowflake on here. Hey, maybe you should join his cult - https://www.reddit.com/r/SanctionedSuicide/

Suicide is cowardice, there's no getting around that. It is literally running away from your problems instead of trying to solve them. It's the "nuke it from orbit" solution, literally isn't solving shit in an appropriate manner. Suicide is selfish. It is literally saying, "my life matters more than anyone else's, my suffering is more extreme than anyone else's, and I don't care who I hurt in the process, I'm more important!". Suicide is easy. If somebody truly want's to kill themselves, sees no reason to live, gets nothing out of life anymore and is truly suffering from their continued existence, they will kill themselves.

I have to wonder if the OP has ever tried to kill him/herself, all the people I've come across that share this belief seem to be afraid to even attempt. This attitude screams that they truly don't live a life of unimaginable pain and suffering, so much pain and suffering that you'd contemplate pushing through the pain of death because it is nothing compared to your life. As somebody who has attempted, OP and pro-suicide retards sicken me. Time to nut up or shut up, OP.

I want anyone who tried pushing this pro-suicide shit to try attempting/experiencing suicide, if you can't, than shut the fuck up. You trivialize suicide and depression with this fucking shit. You have the means to kill yourself, just do it if you hate life so much.

Note: I believe suicide should be legal and assisted suicide should only be permitted for those who cannot physically kill themselves.
ThrashMattoAug 20, 2016 5:21 PM
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Aug 20, 2016 7:19 PM

Feb 2016
LMFAOOOOOOOOOO, this thread made my day. Thanks OP... you're the real MVP.

There's nothing "brave" or noble about suicide. It's simply taking the easy way out of your problems and physical/emotional pain. Not even trying to get through situations like that is what turns one into a coward. Turning your back to the world to take your own life. Obviously, there's not much wrong in choosing to kill yourself (it's a personal choice), but don't fucking encourage suicide by posing the deed as "brave" and "smart", smfh. How edgy are you trying to become OP?
Aug 20, 2016 7:20 PM
Feb 2014
ThrashMatto said:
Oh boy, OP reminds me of another pro-suicide special snowflake on here. Hey, maybe you should join his cult - https://www.reddit.com/r/SanctionedSuicide/

Suicide is cowardice, there's no getting around that. It is literally running away from your problems instead of trying to solve them. It's the "nuke it from orbit" solution, literally isn't solving shit in an appropriate manner. Suicide is selfish. It is literally saying, "my life matters more than anyone else's, my suffering is more extreme than anyone else's, and I don't care who I hurt in the process, I'm more important!". Suicide is easy. If somebody truly want's to kill themselves, sees no reason to live, gets nothing out of life anymore and is truly suffering from their continued existence, they will kill themselves.

I have to wonder if the OP has ever tried to kill him/herself, all the people I've come across that share this belief seem to be afraid to even attempt. This attitude screams that they truly don't live a life of unimaginable pain and suffering, so much pain and suffering that you'd contemplate pushing through the pain of death because it is nothing compared to your life. As somebody who has attempted, OP and pro-suicide retards sicken me. Time to nut up or shut up, OP.

I want anyone who tried pushing this pro-suicide shit to try attempting/experiencing suicide, if you can't, than shut the fuck up. You trivialize suicide and depression with this fucking shit. You have the means to kill yourself, just do it if you hate life so much.

Note: I believe suicide should be legal and assisted suicide should only be permitted for those who cannot physically kill themselves.

Part of why I stopped being suicidal was that the other suicidal people around me had extremely morbid thoughts and emotions that it disgusted me personally. They're self-indulgent narcissists who believe that their edgy thoughts are "intellectual," even when I know they were not at all, enough said.
Aug 20, 2016 7:23 PM
Apr 2013
Good, one less person to compete with in living.
Aug 20, 2016 7:37 PM

May 2016
.......Didn't someone make a weird edgy thread like this not too long ago? I believe those who don't give up when things get difficult are brave.

I feel like I worded that wrong.
"It's not like I wanted a signature or anything...BAKA!" - A MAL user.
Aug 20, 2016 7:39 PM
Jul 2018
If someone is sane and willingly wants to die, it's OK. Of course, you should encourage them to keep living, and tell them that life has its up and downs. But if they commit suicide, it was their decision, and no one should question that.
Aug 20, 2016 7:40 PM

Oct 2013
Hexacosichoron said:
butchered quote from nhk

That's wonderfully worded Hex.
Suicide is cowardly. Who gave you the right to take away your life.
Aug 20, 2016 7:43 PM

Aug 2016
Hexacosichoron said:
butchered quote from nhk

Literally everyone here seems to be forgetting this quote. Everyone please upvote this for BrainyQuotes are something, this needs to be hung up on a wall.

Don't get me wrong. Suicide definitely takes some balls. The fear of death and losing all the years you could live is intimidating and frightening. However, if you can muster up the strength to be willing to do it even against those thoughts, then you have the strength to go through another day of life.

Nico- said:
ThrashMatto said:

Part of why I stopped being suicidal was that the other suicidal people around me had extremely morbid thoughts and emotions that it disgusted me personally. They're self-indulgent narcissists who believe that their edgy thoughts are "intellectual," even when I know they were not at all, enough said.

I would +1 this, but the fact that you just suddenly decided "I guess I'm not suicidal because I don't want to be" is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. On the positive side, I agree. A lot of "suicidal" people are just there so they can make themselves feel better watching other people worry and cry over their false attempts at their own security.
Aug 20, 2016 7:50 PM

Jan 2016
what about helping mentally ill people or being a support system rather than judging cowardice/bravery??? your judgement on their suicidal ideation/dead friends is probably the last thing they want to hear.
Aug 20, 2016 8:00 PM

Aug 2013
Nico- said:
They're self-indulgent narcissists who believe that their edgy thoughts are "intellectual," even when I know they were not at all, enough said.

Thats defiantly true I think atleast I hope after a while they grow out of that. Because I was like that to a T "nobody gets me, im special, anything anyone says is wrong because they can't understand my deep emotional feels" ect ect a lot see themselves romantically their depression becomes something of pride its the tortured misunderstood poet when in reality its some guy shit posting the internet 24/7 and actually forgetting about their suicide talk and stuff for most of the day.

hopefully people grow out of that because it doesn't go anywhere. Now a days I only bring up my past with it if its relevant and if im going to end up doing it at some point in the future I'll just fucking do it because I don't give a fuck time has let me be honest about it. It's not a romantic or beautiful act. You're either going to do it or your not the people who romanticize tend to be the ones who never comes close because shit takes a turn when you really face it down and it changes your perspective. Like seeing a movie vs real life.
SpooksAug 20, 2016 8:18 PM
Aug 20, 2016 8:14 PM

May 2013
Sorry OP, I don't want my family to be known as "the family of the girl who committed suicide."
Aug 20, 2016 8:30 PM

Mar 2008
I don't consider it brave or cowardly, it is just a sad end to a sad life so that leaves behind more sadness over the whole of that.
Aug 20, 2016 8:35 PM
Feb 2014
Spooks said:
Nico- said:
They're self-indulgent narcissists who believe that their edgy thoughts are "intellectual," even when I know they were not at all, enough said.

Thats defiantly true I think atleast I hope after a while they grow out of that. Because I was like that to a T "nobody gets me, im special, anything anyone says is wrong because they can't understand my deep emotional feels" ect ect a lot see themselves romantically their depression becomes something of pride its the tortured misunderstood poet when in reality its some guy shit posting the internet 24/7 and actually forgetting about their suicide talk and stuff for most of the day.

hopefully people grow out of that because it doesn't go anywhere. Now a days I only bring up my past with it if its relevant and if im going to end up doing it at some point in the future I'll just fucking do it because I don't give a fuck time has let me be honest about it. It's not a romantic or beautiful act. You're either going to do it or your not the people who romanticize tend to be the ones who never comes close because shit takes a turn when you really face it down and it changes your perspective. Like seeing a movie vs real life.

If anything at the time I was literally annoyed with selfish people (still sorta am this way today), but then I saw suicidal people on the suicide message board I used to be a member of act this selfish that I decided that I was being selfish just by wanting this type of attention. Then I asked for help and got it.

Not gonna lie, suicide's really common in my hometown/culture (in which suicidal Westerners glamorize it) but speaking out against it and asking for help was actually harder for me to do that cope with my suicidal thoughts to be honest.
Aug 20, 2016 8:35 PM

Jun 2014
nightwave91 said:
Ignorant people seem to always think there is hope for everyone A lot of them say that Suicide is cowardly. I disagree. The one thing that is a constant source of apprehension and fear in humanity, is death. No one knows what happens when you die. Is there an after life? A heaven or a hell? Are we reborn? Or do we simply disappear?

Losing hope in yourself and reaching the point in which you feel like its time to take your life is both sad and disrespectful to the ones left behind who now will cry and feel regret.
Aug 20, 2016 8:44 PM

Jan 2015
It's just an escape from this bull snit called reality

ur opinion = shit
Aug 20, 2016 8:52 PM

Aug 2013
Nico- said:

If anything at the time I was literally annoyed with selfish people (still sorta am this way today), but then I saw suicidal people on the suicide message board I used to be a member of act this selfish that I decided that I was being selfish just by wanting this type of attention. Then I asked for help and got it.

Not gonna lie, suicide's really common in my hometown/culture (in which suicidal Westerners glamorize it) but speaking out against it and asking for help was actually harder for me to do that cope with my suicidal thoughts to be honest.

Asking for help or admitting it in society in general is defiantly probably harder than just doing it. Especially with poor or no support. I tried the medical support and got fucked around before deciding that basically we have no real care as a society for these people and no real way to treat, might be better in other countries but I live in the UK and its shit so not much hope for anywhere else.

As for forums yeah it was the same on a gender forum I was on for some time. Never met a bunch of people so selfish and self absorbed. All they cared about was talking about themselves, their problems and lives they had no time or patience to help or even listen to anyone else. Never met a bunch more superficial and self absorbed which is funny because I was always told by SJW's that trans people are somehow better people, they were bitchy don't care if thats un PC to say. It was like cheerleaders you see in teen movies. I just didn't want to be connected with those people anymore and really bummed me out for a while knowing that ppl you think you can talk to don't care then who can. I think you find a lot are outcast self absorbed nerd types before transition and suddenly get a huge ego boost with the new identity and just become even more uncomfortable to be around. Not all but clearly those forums attracted the types.
Aug 20, 2016 9:16 PM

Aug 2016
It's not cowardice so much as it is wishful thinking.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Aug 20, 2016 9:25 PM

Mar 2016
That kind of title and original post couldn't possibly inspire anything more than civilized discussion
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Aug 20, 2016 9:31 PM

Sep 2013
"Suicide is not cowardice" indeed if you are so insipidly stupid that you lack capable choices. Just look at the samurai.
Aug 20, 2016 9:42 PM

Apr 2016
Sometimes I want to commit suicide out of curiosity. But no I can wait.

But idk it's sort of just not wanting to deal with life problems. I had a shitty life, I thought about suicide, but I didn't do it. I just deal with the bs I have to deal with.
Aug 20, 2016 11:28 PM

Dec 2015
If it's time to go then it's time to go. There is nothing brave or cowardly about that no matter what people say.
Aug 20, 2016 11:33 PM
Jul 2018
I feel like there's a lack of understanding that many people who attempt to or successfully commit suicide are usually battling mental illness that contributes to their negative thoughts. Not saying it's an appropriate reaction to those heavy emotions, just that those emotions and that mental issue do explain why people who attempt suicide, whether it be once or many times, or even have considered it, have done what they've done.

removed-userAug 20, 2016 11:40 PM
Aug 21, 2016 12:30 AM

May 2015
It's true, actually. Suicide cannot be cowardice if human beings are naturally scared of death.

Even if it were, how does that make suicide bad?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 21, 2016 12:31 AM
Feb 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
It's true, actually. Suicide cannot be cowardice if human beings are naturally scared of death.

Then why don't you overcome this fear yourself? It's clear by now you're the one scared of your own death.
Aug 21, 2016 1:08 AM

Aug 2009
It's not cowardly, it is brave, and it's FKING RETARTED, but it's definitely not acceptable. Unless you're homeless, and everyone is gone from your life and you're not linked to anyone, dying early is a sickening thing to everyone around the suicide victim, and it only makes the cycle to sadness get worse.
Aug 21, 2016 1:14 AM

Aug 2015
Nico- said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Then why don't you overcome this fear yourself? It's clear by now you're the one scared of your own death.

we are all scared of course, what lies beyond death, the Afterlife maybe is more painful than life itself
Aug 21, 2016 2:38 AM

Jun 2016
It does take "short term"/temporary courage to end your own life thus going against your instinctive will to live.However in the long run it can also be a display of cowardice especially if they have no serious mental illnesses.

Death will catch up to all of us eventually, I say we don't hasten that process unless in already an objectively hopeless situation where death is the result regardless of your actions(obviously I'm talking about a result of death which would be bound to happen very soon).
Aug 21, 2016 9:14 AM

Aug 2015
I don't think it's brave to take his own life. There might be tough situations, but it's always in your own hands to change them. A happy life doesn't just fly in through the door. People actually need to work on it and some might fail over and over, but the important thing is to get up again. If you don't, nobody will for you. And taking your own life just shows how much you don't care about others. You say like it takes courage to end it. That might be true. But what about the ones you leave behind? Even if you may think you're alone and there is no one, but there will always be someone who will mourn your death. Maybe someone who will never recover from it.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity?

DesuMaiden - 9 hours ago

19 by MalchikRepaid »»
16 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - 29 minutes ago

0 by purple_rayn »»
29 minutes ago

» Do you post your own original artwork onto social media?

DesuMaiden - Apr 10

23 by Lost_Viking »»
43 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - 7 hours ago

11 by Lost_Viking »»
1 hour ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

52 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.