Forum Settings
Forums

What's your relationship with piracy versus purchasing manga?

New
Aug 18, 2016 10:18 PM
May 2015
It's not even an open secret that 90% of the anime and manga community pirates virtually all of their consumed manga and anime content. However, I'm curious about what factors go into your decisions to either pirate or purchase manga. This is aimed at Western audiences. To get some discussion going --

Has your willingness to purchase manga changed over time, perhaps as a byproduct of growing older and starting to make money (or more money) to spend on hobbies like comics?

Has the relatively recent, increasing availability of printed titles in the West affected how much manga you purchase?

Do you try before you buy? Or once you've read a series that's it, who the hell would buy it AFTER they've read it?!

What about official digital distribution channels through Crunchyroll or Viz? Has that affected your pirating at all?

Has availability in your native language, such as seeing lots of shelves in Barnes & Noble of English manga, affected your purchasing? Or is it more complicated than that?

Is manga in the west too damn expensive compared to the amount of content you could get in a Western graphic novel for the same price?

Share your thoughts!
Aug 18, 2016 10:39 PM

May 2008
I don't buy manga anymore. It's too expensive (in NZ it's close to $30 a volume last I checked, fuck that shit) and I don't have the space. I also don't tend to reread stuff, so I don't want to spend money on something I'm only gonna flip through once and maybe not like.

If I had the storage and the money, I'd buy more. But as it is... nah. I'd rather read scans. I also don't trust official translations (although scanlations are usually pretty shit too).
Aug 18, 2016 10:52 PM
Jul 2018
I mostly read online scanalations. Animanga is too expense for me nowadays since I have better things to spend my money on. Much as I love my media I've never shelled out much for it in the past few years. My contributions to the industry mostly consist of merch purchases, mainly figures, though they're pretty occasional because price.
Aug 18, 2016 10:57 PM

Nov 2008
Manga's too expensive.

The only manga I own is Nausicaa, and that's because the set is of high quality and a good deal at forty dollars. I had also read it previously.

Forty dollars for a volume is nuts. I'll just read scans. It's not ideal, but they don't give me a choice.

Aug 18, 2016 11:15 PM
May 2015
WOW! Those are some crazy prices. I tend to pick up manga at $5-$8 per volume from online retailers and the occasional big sale, or from a used bookstore. Speaking from a US perspective.
Aug 18, 2016 11:20 PM

Apr 2013
Has your willingness to purchase manga changed over time, perhaps as a byproduct of growing older and starting to make money (or more money) to spend on hobbies like comics?
My willingness to purchase manga hasn't changed over time, the money I can spend has, so I can now afford more manga.

Has the relatively recent, increasing availability of printed titles in the West affected how much manga you purchase?
Yes, I can now purchase a lot of titles that weren't available to me before, either in my own city, or by getting them online at a low price.

Do you try before you buy? Or once you've read a series that's it, who the hell would buy it AFTER they've read it?!
It depends, usually I try before I buy, it can range from either reading the first volume online, and if I see the volume on a bookstore I start buying it, I usually start from the first volume even if I already read it. But if I read a series along the years, if it became one of my favorites I start buying the volumes until I have it complete. I love to re-read series after some time so I don't think it's a bad investment.

What about official digital distribution channels through Crunchyroll or Viz? Has that affected your pirating at all?
I usually don't read things at Crunchyroll, but I have taken advantage of their free trial to read a series that I was interested in. I prefer to read manga online (for free), and if I like it enough, and I can, I'll buy it.

Has availability in your native language, such as seeing lots of shelves in Barnes & Noble of English manga, affected your purchasing? Or is it more complicated than that?
It has, before I had to search for something I wanted to buy, so I spent less, now they present me with a lot of options and who am I to say no?

Is manga in the west too damn expensive compared to the amount of content you could get in a Western graphic novel for the same price?
I don't read Western graphic novels, but I don't think that 10-15 dollars is too much for a volume, and in my native language, that is Spanish (I usually buy in English), each volume costs like 5 dollars.

PS: Not to be mean or anything, but buying used manga may be good for you, for the lower prices, but they don't really help the industry, apart from maybe making you want to buy new manga after you read it used or something, the same way as scanlations.
Aug 18, 2016 11:48 PM

Aug 2009
I've thought about just buying everything on kindle... But 10 dollars a volume is steep for something that's not a serious book...
Aug 18, 2016 11:58 PM
Jul 2018
CowboyChamploo said:
Or once you've read a series that's it, who the hell would buy it AFTER they've read it?!

Me.
I did exclusively that at first. Buying only manga I loved.

Now I have mangaka that I love and buy before reading their new publications, and I'm also more adventurous, buying some manga I never read before.

I also started to buy used stuffs too.

CowboyChamploo said:

That question is very country-dependent.

In France, our regulars "bandes déssinées" and "graphic novels" usually range between 15-25€, and usually have something like 100-150 pages. (some have far more though)
A regular manga have around 200 pages and range between 6-10€.

The difference is that the Westerns comics are usually in a larger format, an often with hardcover. Manga like that cost the same than Western comics.
Aug 18, 2016 11:58 PM

Dec 2015
I usually purchase it, because here you can get a volume of manga from between £5-£10 In store, so they aren't really that expensive. Plus if you get them online you can get them cheaper (usually around £1-£6)

I do read scanlations sometimes though.
Some manga are not available to buy here (i.e. Not published in english), or it's a long running series and I just don't have the money to buy 15+ volumes of a manga all at once.

You can get some great deals on used manga. Most of the time they are good quality too and relatively cheap. Or you could borrow volumes from a Libary, though they usually have a very limited selection.

Aug 19, 2016 1:36 AM

Jul 2013
No, i've already bought manga when i was a kid. Now i just spent more money to buy more manga.

West as in America? No. West as in Europe? Sure. Without Tokyopop i probably wouldn't be buying as many manga as i'm doing right now..

Try as in "read a few chapters online and then switch to the official release"? No, when buying manga i either start a new series (e.g. the ancient magus bride or blue exorcist) and read only the official physical volumes or i re-read manga i'm up-to-date or finished with.. (boku no hero academia, shokugeki no souma,..).
If the manga was good (and that should be the case when buying an already read manga) i want to support the series/publisher/mangaka/etc hence i'll buy the physical volumes after reading them. I have set the rule that i have to read each volume i buy before putting them in my shelf. Re-Reading a good manga is never a bad idea^^

No. They don't really exist in Germany or have a small selection. I now that Crunchyroll has some manga available in Germany as well but it's kinda hidden. Finding them is already a tough job and since i don't like the player/reader i stick with the "classic" scanlations.

I probably wouldn't have bought manga as a kid if the stores wouldn't have offered them. Maybe i wouldn't be buying manga now, maybe i'd buy them as ebooks and maybe i wouldn't be reading at all... or maybe nothing would have changed....

I don't read western graphic novels so don't even know the price, quality or amount of content they offer but i don't think manga are expensive (in Germany). 5€-15€ per volume is definitely a fair deal. I actually prefer paying more money to get manga with better quality. Earlier this month boku no hero academia(vol1) has been released. I've paid 7€ (within the normal price range of "Carlsen Manga") but i would have loved to spent 10€ or more if "Tokyopop" would have released it
Aug 19, 2016 6:10 AM

Jun 2015
I'm from asia, I guess I couldn't join in this discussion. (, _ ,)
Aug 20, 2016 3:59 AM

Feb 2016
Honestly I only pirate manga if there is zero Western release. I normally buy mine legitimately or get it from the library (the o e at school is where I rented Sakamoto actually, loving it by the way). However if a series is that good I'll buy it to help me learn Japanese like with Bokura no Hentai (should've only bought the first volume though, I only have $2 left on my gift card and I don't have Amazon Prime). The main reason I do this is because unlike anime, manga is actually pretty cheap and affordable, most of the time it's in only in the single Dodgers. Some exceptions of course like Tomie being over $100 for a used copy ,but if not for the fact a new, cheaper one is coming out on Christmas I'd just save or pirate it (still haven't though, really want to read it though LOVE the premise)
Aug 20, 2016 4:06 AM

Nov 2008
CowboyChamploo said:
I first read Nausicaa six years ago. If I had first read it only recently, I wouldn't have bought it yet. I'll probably read it again several years from now. If you enjoyed something, why would you not wanna experience it again? Sometimes you discover more. It's also nice to see the art again without it being a low quality scan.

There are several others I've read that I wanna own physically, but they're too expensive.

Aug 21, 2016 4:31 AM

Jan 2015
I wasn't really into manga all that much until I was already older and making my own money. Before that I would just borrow whatever my friends had to read.

It sure doesn't hurt! Having a wide selection of titles available in my native language of course makes things easier. Therefor I am willing to spend more!

I have "tried before I buy" before, legally of course. But I have a horrible habit of bling buying. Or buying only based off whats on the back or a short synopsis. I hasn't bitten me in the ass...yet!

Maybe 1% of the manga I read is online, and it has always been legal.

9 times out of 10 I order my manga from online sites. I am always looking to save a few bucks. But that doesn't stop me from browsing the shelves at my local Barnes & Noble. Hell sometimes my impatience takes over and I will even buy something form them! It helps that I have a membership there though.

Since I mostly buy manga online, I hardly ever pay full price even for new volumes. Still though, I would be willing to pay it. I enjoy supporting the industry that I love. If I couldn't afford it, I wouldn't buy it!
When not on MAL, here is where you can find me:
Check out my blog
Follow me on Twitter
Aug 21, 2016 1:21 PM
Jul 2018

I buy more now because I'm still into the medium, I just got into manga reading, and I have money to support this hobby without there being a hole in my pocket.

Yes, I bought some manga not too long ago that I thought was ok and just bought it because of the synopsis.

A bit of both I'll read and if I like it I'll support the author and buy it or something like the answer to the above question

Not really but I do watch some anime on mal.

I hate Barnes & nobles because it's usually in some really good neighborhood but that usally means every one there drives like a drunk 5 year old <.< I'll buy it from amazon or walmart ty very much.

lol no I dislike western comics "Oh look thor came back to life! for the 69th time...." just egh

I drove around 40 miles to the store and back for the newest volume of Witchcraft Works

removed-userSep 16, 2016 11:57 PM
Aug 22, 2016 10:32 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
I think it has increased, I think the main factors are that many interesting series get licensed and that I make more money than in my first few years of buying manga.

In my country (Germany) it's not that recent, we've had a pretty good availability for years now. Many interesting series available means I can buy more, so it is affecting me.

It depends. In the past I bought more without reading any preview and usually I liked the series I bought, with a few exceptions that I regret buying. Now I often read online first to try out the series. If I like it then I buy it and switch to reading the bought volumes. I also often buy it even if I have read the entire series. Why? I'm a collector, it looks nice in my bookshelves :3 And I like re-reading stuff I liked. I would say trying out series online made me buy even more because otherwise I probably wouldn't have found out about certain series.

I haven't tried them yet.

As said before, we have a great availability of manga here and it makes me buy more because it's easily accessible.

I don't read Western graphic novels so I can't compare them. I think most prices are fair in my country (sometimes I buy English manga and they're more expensive). Sometimes I think the price for some series is too high, but I usually buy it anyway if I like it.
Aug 24, 2016 11:30 PM

Oct 2011
I used to buy my manga when I was younger, but a lot of the titles that I like are never licensed in English so I can't buy them. I've honestly cut back on my manga consumption between not having the titles I like in English and the lack of updated scans on the internet.

I'll check out some titles from the library if I like the series and I haven't finished it though. Libraries aren't piracy, right?
Aug 25, 2016 2:33 AM

Aug 2013
It depends by the series
huh
Aug 25, 2016 9:59 PM

Nov 2009
I once upon a time bought manga, however there are quite a few problems with it.

1) It is expensive. And we aren't talking just manga in general is expensive, rather after it goes through translation, they jack up the price like 250%. Sorry, but something you read in an hour shouldn't cost the same as a best selling novel. (let's put it this way, that guy working at the bookstore that sells the manga, would have to work for about 1 1/2 hours to afford 1 volume of manga which would take about 1 hour to read)

2) Selection. One of the best things about manga is there are many subjects or types of stories not covered in anime . . . However official translations for manga don't usually touch upon anything that isn't Shounen Jump or other series that have anime.

3) Quality. Those same guys who are charging $10-12 for a volume of manga are doing a rather shitty job . . . Their translators are relatively lazy (onigiri = donut for example). And they are usually printed on cheap, small paper that is already gray so you are left with low contrast and a shrunken image. (this makes it relatively hard to read, and what really bothered me was they didn't leave space on the page for the binding, so a good part of the image is cut off and to read it you pretty much destroy the binding)

Honestly though, I don't consider it "piracy", or rather ethically wrong, in many cases the manga was never even translated into English in the first place other than by people online. Do they think that people who can't speak Japanese would have rushed over to Japan, bought manga they couldn't read, and been happy with it? Do they honestly believe they are losing sales in these instances? Cause I sure as hell don't. Even those that they do translate, they leave it to third parties which then turn around and charge an arm and a leg for it . . .
Pirating_NinjaAug 25, 2016 10:03 PM
Aug 26, 2016 1:16 AM

Mar 2009
My general thoughts on buying vs pirating:
1) If you can, use a library. It's free for you (assuming you return it on time) and more rentals = libraries buying more copies of that vol and future vols. You get it for free, industry still gets some support. Of course, I also realize some libraries are terrible at manga supply and variety.

2) Try to buy new if you can. Maybe rent from the library first to determine what you really want to throw support behind. Wait for sales, either online or at Barnes & Nobles or something, it'll help reduce the price for you.

3) If you can't buy new, try to trade it with someone or buy used. At least that one was bought new at one point in time.

4) If something is way out of print or not licensed here or not finished, then I say it's fair game for scans. I mean, is anyone going to ever license Space Adventure Cobra? It's Shonen Jump, so only Viz can legally get it for the US, but Viz almost certainly won't get it because it's too old and not Jojo (which has a new anime boosting its popularity). And will anyone ever finish Swan? I doubt it.

For the actual asked questions
I always had a pretty good willingness to buy manga. It slowed during college (because where would I put that in a dorm?) with some increase during the summers at home, naturally. My first few Otakons, I got at least 50 manga, but since there's not as much out of print stuff I wanna get and the comic shop having a good supply of new stuff, I bought like, 4 manga this past Otakon. Though having a job helps, and selling stuff I'm done with online helps too.

The biggest factor is the local comic shop, which has good selection and frequent half off sales! Back when I was younger (and stupider), I'd spend like, $20 on two manga at Borders without even using a coupon, then I'd start using coupons and getting like 1 a week, but now I can get way more manga for $20. It's based more on their availability, they tend to get things at random (because Diamond), so sometimes, nothing for a few weeks, then, BAM! I just spent $150.

Sometimes I try before I buy if I'm really unsure or the blogs I follow were "meh" on the early vols (sometimes they'll warm up to them). I also blind buy a lot of vol 1s (and trade them to friends for other things later). If I'm done with something, on to ebay or friends it is. But some things I am always going to keep because I've read Banana Fish 4 times and it's still worth re-reading. Some things are, some things aren't worth re-reading, just like some movies are worth seeing, some are worth seeing twice, and some aren't even worth finishing.

I like physical books, I don't pay for either site and I don't really buy digital manga. But I am glad the options exist, who knows when I'll jump on that bandwagon (I thought I'd never buy digital only games at one point, pfft!)

I usually buy from my local comic shop (because they have half off manga and trade sales all the damn time), but when I look and go "oh, look, a random new volume 1 for $5-$6.50! Sure, I'll buy that, even though I have no idea what it is!", but I never impulse buy at full price. And then, since I do keep up with English releases pretty damn closely and follow some manga blogs, I also know when weird obscure stuff comes out that B&N won't carry in their store. Honestly, the only reason I actually go into the B&N is to window shop, which would sound like a waste of time to a normal person, except it's right next to the grocery store anyway.

Ok, as someone who buys Western comics, manga is typically cheaper. While Image and Valiant have $10 introductory vols, most are $15 from there on. Hell, some are $20 a pop or more. And if you try to buy those in single issue form, typically $3-$4 each x5, no, manga is cheaper imo.
Aug 26, 2016 1:50 AM

Apr 2011
I don't have any money, but if I did, I think I'll buy my favorites. I definitely wanna buy Hajime no Ippo (all volumes released so far, imagine that) even though it's not licensed (why?). I'm definitely not buying something I haven't read as money is scarce for me and I ain't wasting it on stuff I'm not sure I'd like (despite the fact that I constantly waste money on food I've never tasted before --primary reason for my obesity--, though they're mostly very cheap and there's no other way to sample them).

I do, however, own 8 of the 12 volumes of Death Note, which I bought off a friend of mine 8 years ago. He was selling it for cheap (500 mrf for the entire lot when 1 volume costed 119 mrf). I swear that guy has too much money. I bought the entire Harry Potter collection for the same price (Deathly Hallows was selling for over 200 mrf at the time) and downloaded the entirety of Code Geass (which I downloaded because he asked me to) for 25 mrf an episode (I said it as a joke and he said he'll pay). To put it into perspective, 1 US dollar was around 12.85 mrf at the time.
Aug 26, 2016 2:44 AM

Jul 2015
If you like it, you buy it.
It's a pretty simple rule that anyone can abide by.
I HAVE TWO RULES:

RULE ONE: I'M ALWAYS RIGHT
RULE TWO: IF I'M WRONG, REFER TO RULE ONE...
Aug 27, 2016 11:20 AM

Jul 2014
Er, I am not sure if here is considered the West in this case, so I probably don't fit in the statistics. But it matters little anyway, since I don't buy manga and would avoid buying it until I can.

It's been an additional hobby to me (I consider may main to be gaming, which I maintain legal), and I've grown accustomed to online scans, I don't want to change my habits. I am not even sure it's technically illegal for me, since most of the stuff I read is unlicenced in my country. I'd started to read manga years before it was broadly available around here, and my habits have formed. Most libraries do not offer manga as well (I've recently heard about one that does).
Buying abroad is too expensive with the current exchnge rates to be in the question with any degree of seriousness.

I consider myself an outside irrelevant consumer and don't seek to affect market or anything with my decisions.
Aug 28, 2016 5:27 AM

Jun 2015
Well, my manga buying has definitely increased from 0 volumes per month at 15 to buying 10 volumes last month now that I'm 20. Having a little control over your money is awesome since it lets you waste it on things that you've already read and reread over and over again. Not that I regret it.

Here in India, manga is pretty expensive. It costs around 500rs (7-8$) for a volume and even though I have no idea if 7-8$ is expensive, 500rs is definitely a bit too much for something that takes one hour to read.
I guess it's become cheaper recently though? There's volumes online for 350-400rs as well so I guess that means I get to spend more money. Plus there are series that I definitely would not have seen on Amazon India two months ago that are apparently selling really fast now. It's brilliant. Maybe in a year or two I'll be able to buy manga from an actual store!!
Since there are more series available now, I want a volume or two of everything that's available. Earlier, I was happy with a few volumes of the Big Three decorating my bookshelf (decorating because no one picked them up). Now I have 17 series and it's nowhere near enough.
Since it's become cheaper, I'm more free with my money. Instead of 'splurging' and buying 30$ worth of manga in a year, I've graduated to spending 120$ (wisely) this year. And the year's not over so I'm not done yet. YAY ECONOMICS!!!

As for why anyone would want to buy manga after they've read it, because I love that manga.
I have the complete set of FMA and Death Note. Purchased years after I'd read those series simply because looking at those books and those boxes makes me extremely happy.
Looking at my Haikyuu volumes takes me back to my happy time as a NEET when I didn't have to worry about studying and working.
The only time I took a 'risk' was buying a volume of D-Gray Man without actually having read the manga yet. I don't regret it, but it wasn't something I looked forward to either. I'm simply not attached to the book enough.

Plus, there's just this little nagging thing telling me to support the creators in whatever way I can. I'm not really sure how much buying english volumes helps japanese authors, but I'm sure it helps more than piracy does so that's good enough.
Hasn't really stopped me from pirating though. Buying all the manga I read would force me out onto the streets, and then where would I keep all my volumes??

Crunchyroll and Viz are both pretty pathetic in India so I didn't bother with those. They're useless. Worse. I shouldn't really talk about that. But they suck.

I've seen western comics sell for ~1000rs a volume (~14$) which is stupidly expensive. Manga isn't a LOT better, but it is better than those.
-_-
Sep 8, 2016 1:28 PM

Dec 2012
Yeh, manga is quite expensive so I read online (whether it is considered piracy or not) unless i really like the series then i might buy it if its available in the nearest bookstore. helps the mangaka.

© 花巻 花郎 @ pixiv.net
Sep 8, 2016 1:54 PM

Oct 2014
They don't sell manga here. Only OP and some known ones
Sep 8, 2016 2:35 PM

Aug 2016
Well, you will get an idea of my relationship with mangas looking at the spoiler

Nope, I always loved getting more mangas/novel, and I'm okay finance wise. I don't really care much for comics, tbh. I like reading them here and there, like at someone's house or something, but I wouldn't get out of my way to get one. What I don't like about comics is that they are confusing with many timelines, reboots and such, you have no idea where to even start, and I find them majorly unfocused compared to any opther medium.

Not really, because I get some french ones where I live and import the rest, mostly series that haven'T been translated officialy in french or english.

This is an interesting question. I'll check out a few chapter online if I' not sure what the series is about, but I can usualy tell what I will or won't like with a few summary or the mangaka/author or small review. Things like that. I haven't read something online in a long while, outside a few mangas I'm buying but want to know what's happening before getting it xD (I like rereading a lot btw)

I literealy have no opinion about that, because it doesn't concern me in any way shape or form.

I'm not sure I'm following the question. You want to know if I'm seeing large amount of available mangas in my native language would get me to buy more? Sure... I guess. But they take forever and a half to get translated in french, and then it takes even more weeks to get shipped to Quebec ._. So yes.. and no...? I'm not even sure what I'm saying here xD

Well, considering most japanese mangas I buy are in between 400 and 700¥, they are like twice the price in Cana-Dollar, so they're not TOO expensive, considering the work on translation and all that crap it has to go through. It actualy seems like a reasonnable price compared to some price I've seen in this thread.
Sep 8, 2016 2:43 PM

Jul 2012

I started collecting last year so...No. It hasn't really changed.

I purchase second hand manga so I don't buy recent titles at all.

On the most part, I buy series that I have read online already. I collect because I want to own my fave series and would re-read it. I rarely blind buy (purchase without reading it).

I don't buy digital goods if there's no physical aspect.

Yes, it is. That's why I purchase second hand at 3-5 CAD per volume.
Sep 8, 2016 3:27 PM

Aug 2015
I spent some time searching for the best place to buy translated manga thats approx <10$ for volume and found http://www.bookdepository.com/
Bought 5 volumes of TG and 1 of Shokugeki no souma, all arrived in PERFECT condition (all new manga) in under 2 weeks (depends tho on where you live but it shouldn't take over 20 days unless you on a moon or something xP).
Free delivery worldwide don't forget that as well.

Tho I will only buy stuff that I REALLY like to have for my collection.

"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Sep 11, 2016 11:20 AM

May 2012
If I were to buy all the volumes I have read during my "reading career", I would be broke many times over...

While they are not as expensive as some other users have the misfortune to experience, they still cost about 15 dollars each. I am currently at 3'501 volumes. So I read scanlations most of the time.

However, I still buy manga I really liked during my bi-annual stay in Japan.
Sep 11, 2016 11:43 AM

May 2016
I don't have much money and there aren't a lot of places to purchase manga at a good price in my area (just a second-hand bookshop, where it's odd to find complete manga series xD), and ordering them online is not a possibility for me. However, sometimes I buy manga at conventions or ,if I have the possibility and the money, at a specialized bookshop.

But yeah, I usually read them online.
Sep 11, 2016 12:59 PM

Nov 2012
When I was younger I'd just pick up the first volume of whatever looked neat leading to my collection being full of one or too volumes for things I never read. Now I only pick up books for series I'm already reading online instead of grabbing at random

Not really I actually buy less than before. Every once and awhile I'll take a look through amazon and be surprised at what's being released since I don't keep track anymore.

I always try before I buy if possible unless I can't find it online or I want to support more releases in the west by said author then I'm willing to buy it. Series that I find myself re-reading I'll buy otherwise no.

Even though I have a premium membership on crunchyroll I never use their stuff it looks horribly designed to me. So no it doesn't.

Honestly my local chapters doesn't have that much besides the bigger series and it is impossible to find the first volume of anything in there. If anything I just buy through amazon since it's usually cheaper and they usually have everything.

Living in Canada is awful right now for getting anything cheap, not just manga. That's part of the reason I'm so stingy with my money when it comes to things I don't need. At least with manga there's a chance I might buy it but for stuff like anime hell no.

If it's something I can't find online at all like Gundam origin or something like Maou: Juvenile Remix (great read) and isn't the length of one piece then I'll just grab it. Stuff with 10+ volumes I have to really like it if I'm picking it up.
Sep 13, 2016 3:58 PM

Mar 2015
I've bought exactly 2 mangas so far. First one was volume 1 of Terra Formars because it cost 1 euro. 2nd one was Shingeki no Kyojin. Even though I've already read it I decided to buy it because

>I forgot most of the stuff that happened at the beginning and didn't mind immerging myself in story again
>It was a neat special edition with huge ass pages and some extras
>It's one of my fav mangas

I wouldn't mind buying mangas I really like because I'd rather read a physical copy than having to read on my laptop, by far. Tho besides SnK I don't buy manga because

RVDASep 13, 2016 4:04 PM
Je trempe mes cookies dans tes larmes.
Sep 13, 2016 4:06 PM

Dec 2009
I honestly don't really care that I am not exactly contributing in some from by buying what I love. But I have many good reasons not to.

1. I won't buy something unless it is worth it and valuable to my standards (in other words a favorite anime/manga) and to know that I need to read/watch them online first, instead of wasting my money by buying something I don't even know I will like.
2. It's a waste of money. I'm not rich yet where I can collect my favorite anime/manga for fun.
3. To me buying anime/manga, it's mostly a collection, to be proud of because it's a favorite and to reread/rewatch whenever I want to.

... Pretty much my reasons. Besides... most of the stats that help anime or manga become popular, rise or get cancelled or whatever is mainly in Japan. As for in general (world-wide) it's kinda mostly in the US. I live in Canada. Not like that's a good reason to not "contribute" ... but I stand for my reasons.
Sep 13, 2016 7:56 PM
Mar 2015
I end up pirating a lot of Japanese manga simply because most of the manga I want to read isn't published in the U.K, Canada or the U.S. Stuff like Nishioka Kyoudai, for example, have only had one small short story printed in an anthology in the U.S. whereas you can find nearly all their work translated online. I try to buy manga if I can, and a lot of the manga I've read sits neatly on my shelf. I try to use the Library as much as possible, too, but really, ask yourself, does it make a difference? what is often considered piracy is really just means to try-before-you-buy, or for people without money to enjoy art from around the world, and really, is that such a crime? If the artist gets paid at the end of the day...
Sep 13, 2016 10:28 PM

Dec 2015
I would buy manga if
a. it was cheaper
and b. it was actually widely available where i live unfortunately due to me living in New Zealand neither of those are a real possibility.
Sep 13, 2016 10:37 PM

Feb 2015
Most content in manga doesn't worth the price here, so it's better I read them illegally.

and, there's no Viz Media here, just Tokyoshitpop
Sep 14, 2016 5:57 AM

Apr 2015
i purchase a ridiculous amount of manga considering how little I've read of my shelves.

The only manga I've read through Crunchyroll is Orange with a Guest Pass.

My favorite manga (Aku no Hana) I did read illegally, and I've always planned to purchase the series but for some reason bookstores either don't have it or only have volume 1.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 21, 2016 10:40 AM

Feb 2016
For me its very simple.

Is it available in my country? Then purchase
Is it available in english outside of my country? Depends on price, shipping etc.

If it wasnt localized officialy into english then i will look for other illegal sources.
Sep 24, 2016 12:48 PM

Feb 2015
"relationship"? what?
Oct 14, 2016 8:50 PM

Jul 2014
Since I don't have much money to afford, I only buy short manga series that I know I will re-read. I tried collecting ongoing series but it's a pain to track old volumes.

"No matter how miserable your life becomes, never let your heart become miserable as well."
Oct 15, 2016 1:54 AM

Oct 2016
When I was younger I used to just pirate all my anime. (I didn't read manga at the time) Nowadays I have a Crunchyroll subscription and watch pretty much all my anime through that. I would never consider buying anime DVDs though. Don't know why, just seems pointless to me.

As for manga, 95% of what I read is through physical volumes that I have paid for. I only ever consider reading online if the manga in question is ridiculously expensive or hard to get hold of. I like to sustain the industry if I can!
Oct 15, 2016 5:07 AM
Sep 2012
Reading online is a good thing so you can judge if a story it's good or not before buying it. However I've bought most of the series I read/I've read (80-90% actually, I don't have just the ones that aren't published here), that's having a good library.
Oct 16, 2016 4:09 AM

Oct 2016
CowboyChamploo said:

It definitely has changed. I first started buying manga like 11 years ago (?) just because I got curious about it. Then after that I tried finishing the series (which I failed to complete since that time I was a broke student who buys with the money I saved from my daily allowance and now the publisher is already defunct).

But now that I have work and able to budget my income, I can buy mangas as much as I can.

CowboyChamploo said:

Definitely yes. Even though I don’t live in US the manga that are sold here are based on the manga publishers in the US and well in Japan as well but since I don’t and can’t read Japanese I could only depend on the US releases.

CowboyChamploo said:

Most of the manga I bought are just from reading the synopsis on the back of the first volume or researching on the net. But some of the manga I have are those I have already read online.

There are manga that I bought which I completely read online like Hirunaka no Ryuusei. Since I liked the story and it’s not licensed in the US, I have decided to buy the Japanese manga to give support to the mangaka. I have previously read STROBE EDGE as well before buying the physical copy.

CowboyChamploo said:

I’m not really into digital distributors. I would have preferred the DVD if only I can afford it but since it’s more expensive I just opt to watch the anime online that are fansubbed.

CowboyChamploo said:

I don’t buy in Barnes & Noble.

CowboyChamploo said:

I’m not really sure since I don’t buy Western graphic novel and I’m not interested as well.
Oct 16, 2016 6:40 AM

Dec 2015
I purchase the manga that I like online or if they have an English copy in my country then I will buy it. Sometimes I buy E-books copies too, if they are available.
Oct 16, 2016 7:05 AM

Dec 2014
Really, topic from last 2 months got bumped?

The 'Manga Discussion' SF is so dead lol.

Btw, I do both. Read the manga online as well as buying the comics.

"Wielding one's blade out of duty alone is what it means to be a captain. Wielding one's blade out of hatred is nothing more than petty violence. That is not what we would consider battle."
Oct 21, 2016 2:05 AM

Jun 2015
Ive got no problem with scantalations and all that.

I actually feel that its good for the industry here in the west, since manga is still a 'niche' interest over here so pirated stuff actually serves as good advertising. I myself have ended up buying physical manga and figures and stuff of series that ive read the scans for.
I genuinely believe thats the reason why the law isnt particuarly hard on manga piracy. Manga publishers must know of the bigger scanlation sites since WE all know them, but in most cases they tend to leave them alone since they know that in the longer run it will get more people into manga and therefore higher chance of selling merchandise to a greater number of people.

More topics from this board

» How long does it take you to read a LN volume?

Maou_heika - Feb 8

17 by Narushisto »»
32 minutes ago

» I need help finding a manga that I have forgotten

codelyok13 - Yesterday

1 by codelyok13 »»
1 hour ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1044 by codelyok13 »»
1 hour ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

18 by Chuckiemuffin »»
10 hours ago

» Do you ever skim through your Manga?

zaganGao - Jan 23

26 by Zimmu »»
Yesterday, 8:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.