Forum Settings
Forums

Your opinion for a guy to watch shows that are targeted for females and vice versa

New
Aug 17, 2016 9:29 AM

Aug 2015
Just as the question says, just wondering if what are your opinions regarding this topic, since I'm planning to watch Cardcaptor Sakura sometime within my short term break since some people says it's a decent old school magical girl series but the fact that it's targeted for female children audience kinda makes me off-putting for some reason so I just want to check for your opinions regarding this, what to expect when I watch shows that are not even targeted to me, and will you encourage me to do this or what?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 17, 2016 9:31 AM

Sep 2015
I'm just always thinking that even if it is not suited for me, once I finish it I get that sweet sweet +1 anime on my completed list.
Aug 17, 2016 9:32 AM

Sep 2012
No problem at all.For example Akatsuki no Yona was really good for me.OHSHC is another example.So go for it.
Aug 17, 2016 9:35 AM
Aug 2016
Nothing wrong with that. I watched Sailor Moon and Bratz as a kid, as embarrassing as that is.
Aug 17, 2016 9:35 AM

Aug 2015
Don't give a shit about target audience. Watch what you're interested in and just drop it if it's not to your liking.
Aug 17, 2016 9:36 AM

Dec 2015
Nobody cares. It's not illegal or something so as long as you enjoy yourself everything is fine.
Aug 17, 2016 9:37 AM

Jul 2015
watch whatever you enjoy
personally i avoid them
Aug 17, 2016 9:38 AM

Jul 2014
Whats the problem??? i dont see any....who cares if a guy watches smth thats targeted for females...as long as the anime is good...then its not a problem - so yh its absolutely fine for a guy to watch shows targeted for females :)
Aug 17, 2016 9:39 AM

May 2016
If you're interested, just watch it. I have a couple of male friends who like some female targeted anime and there is nothing wrong with that.
Aug 17, 2016 9:39 AM

Dec 2014
If you enjoy it watch it, watch it as many times as you want, if anyone complains watch them too.
Aug 17, 2016 9:40 AM
Aug 2016
Do what makes you happy bud. If you want to watch the girliest anime ever made, but you enjoy it, then that's you man. No one can make you more happy then you yourself.
Aug 17, 2016 9:42 AM

Aug 2014
Just because a show is set for a certain demographic doesn't mean that it can't be a good show on a broader scale. I would personally judge you more if you avoided a show specifically because it was targeted to a certain audience. :P
Aug 17, 2016 9:52 AM

Nov 2009
1) Cardcaptor Sakura was my first true anime, and I liked it a lot.

2) Sakura is quite popular with male pedophiles. She's such a nice little girl.

3) Magical girl shows in general are popular with older men. Because cute girls, magic and fighting. Some of them are even specially made for them, like Lyrical Nanoha and Madoka Magica.
Aug 17, 2016 9:54 AM
Aug 2015
What puts you off? The fact that it's (according to you) targeted towards females, or the fear of liking it? Let's be honest, most moe series aren't exactly the manliest ones out there.

I see that you have Madoka in your favorites, so what's the problem exactly?
Aug 17, 2016 10:01 AM

Jun 2016
The target audience just gives you an idea of what to expect from the show.It's not an outright rule or anything of the sort.Your gender is not going to deifne your tastes significantly if you're open to many of things anyway.

I might just be trying to justify the fact that I love Usagi Drop to bits but I don't care.
Aug 17, 2016 10:05 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Pretty sure Josei is my highest rated anime/manga demographic on average which is supposedly made for adult women so... yeah honestly I wouldn't really care too much about who a show is "aimed" at
Aug 17, 2016 10:08 AM

Jul 2012
Why not?

I watch harems, ecchi, shounen and seinen. You can do the same with female-targeted genres. Don't be insecure and worry that you can't watch it without losing your face.
Aug 17, 2016 10:16 AM

Apr 2010
It's true most guys avoid female oriented shows, but it doesn't really work the other way around. Most girls will watch both. Though I must say, I don't find anything wrong with a guy watching female oriented shows.

Aug 17, 2016 10:26 AM

Jun 2013
nothing wrong with that. you do you fham
Aug 17, 2016 10:30 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Why does it matter lol? U should be comfortable watching whatever the hell u want no matter what anyone says about you

As a kid in the 90s I know no guy admitted to watching Sailormoon

I'm currently watching a fujoshi and I give no fucks to admit it, altho I didn't know that's what it was before I started it
Aug 17, 2016 10:47 AM
Jul 2018
I'd say that in addition of Cardcaptor Sakura, you should totally watch Princess Tutu too.

And that if you like them both, you have pretty good taste sir.

PS: all "old school" Magical Girls shows are shōjo. Seinen/shōnen Magical Girls shows are pretty recent in comparison.
Aug 17, 2016 11:03 AM

Apr 2014
I read quite a lot of Josei manga for the ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
I think it's fine tho, nothing wrong with it.
Aug 17, 2016 11:05 AM

Jul 2014
This happens all the time anything popular stirs up this site. I remember all the One Punch Man troll threads.
Aug 17, 2016 11:28 AM

Oct 2014
Cardcaptor Sakura is a great anime. I'm an adult male and I have it as my #2 favourite anime. Cute girls, magic, awesome fights, what more is there to love? If you prefer flat chested girls then it's like an even better version of a "cute girls fighting" type anime. I also watched Cardcaptor Sakura for the first time as an adult. Four of my top ten anime are shoujo and it's also the demographic I've spent the most time on.

If you want to continue watching magical girl anime after Cardcaptor Sakura then you should check out Full Moon wo Sagashite, Shugo Chara, and Lady Jewelpet.
Aug 17, 2016 11:29 AM

Feb 2010
I don't really care about traditional values and roles attached to each gender so I can identify with shows aimed at both target audiences at time. Both 'girly' and 'manly' stuff can be something I enjoy. In terms of romance I actually much prefer female-targeted titles, especially josei but also shoujo in a lot of cases. Both the males and females are more likable and interesting to me compared to most male-targeted romance shows.

Even reverse harems are easier to stomach for me than most normal harems just because it doesn't feel as insulting to my intelligence when I feel I'm not the target audience from the start.

Mahou Shoujo per se was never my cup of tea but Princess Tutu was pretty great. I doubt I'll ever watch any of the more traditional and long magical girl series tho. Nothing to do with my gender, but just personal preference.

Also in terms of how the community perceives it, watching mahou shoujo is much better than enjoying something like Free! if you're a male. It's not seen as that weird that grown men enjoy watching young girls in skimpy outfits go through semi-naked transformations each episode. Enjoying a school and sports drama about guys without many females in the cast is gonna get you judged more harshly than watching magical girls be magical and moe, if that's what you're worried about.
AlcoholicideAug 17, 2016 11:42 AM
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 17, 2016 11:31 AM
Jul 2016
I watched Cardcaptor Sakura recently and enjoyed it. And I'm a 43 year old heterosexual male. Just watch what you want to watch.
Aug 17, 2016 11:36 AM

Feb 2014
Cardcaptor Sakura is great, go for it.
Aug 17, 2016 11:41 AM
Aug 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
If you prefer flat chested girls then it's like an even better version of a "cute girls fighting" type anime.

Would you really start watching an anime just because its characters have flat chests? What the actual fuck?
Aug 17, 2016 11:47 AM

Nov 2012
i don't think it matters, no one cares when women watch shounen stuff either lmao
and CCS is a great series, you won't regret it
Aug 17, 2016 11:50 AM
Feb 2016
I watched "3D Onara Gorou ga Dance Dance Dance!!" and I have no idea what species that was aimed at. So who am I to judge?

Oct 2014
On_the_Lam said:
zombie_pegasus said:
If you prefer flat chested girls then it's like an even better version of a "cute girls fighting" type anime.

Would you really start watching an anime just because its characters have flat chests? What the actual fuck?
What I mean is that in things like Vanadis and the new Nanatsu no Taizai that's coming out the girls have massive breasts. If you're not into that but prefer flat chests then magical girl anime made for kids will be more enjoyable. Magical girl anime also tend to be better written than generic ecchi action anime.

Dec 2015
Demographics are like the "ages 4-11" label on the Hungry Hungry Hippos box.
More of a suggestion than a rule.
Aug 17, 2016 11:53 AM

Dec 2015
I have watched many shoujo's and a couple reverse harems. I actually love shoujo's if they are done right and isn't a cliche mess full of misunderstandings (these seriously annoy me to no end). I mean, I'm sure females watch shonens, so whats wrong with guys watching shoujo's or anything targeted towards females unless its some yaoi (and you are straight then that's kind of questionable).

Jun 2013
I love shoujo sometimes and in fact one of my favorites of the season is b project which is certainly targeted to the female audience, so as long as you enjoy it,watch what you want.

Apr 2016
Im a teenage male i personally i perfer more mature shojo series over your typical shonen like naruto. Ore monogatari was great and im trying to watch more good shojo series unless its like bl or something.
Aug 17, 2016 12:03 PM

Aug 2015
I'm just going to say that Cardcaptor Sakura was extremely successful when it aired in my country and lots of guys liked it. Just enjoy it and don't be fooled by labels and preconceptions.
Aug 17, 2016 12:14 PM

Apr 2014
I highly enjoy Josei genre compared to any other one.
Aug 17, 2016 12:48 PM

Apr 2015
Expanding taste and tackling something not exactly recommended? Good. Enjoy yourself~
Aug 17, 2016 1:07 PM
Jul 2018
HA GAAAAY

OT: There is nothing wrong with that. I mean, i myself watched some shows that were aiming towards the kids and/or female demographic. So if you find a show interesting and wanna watch it just go for it ^^
Aug 17, 2016 1:44 PM
Jul 2018
Pullman said:
Even reverse harems are easier to stomach for me than most normal harems just because it doesn't feel as insulting to my intelligence when I feel I'm not the target audience from the start.

Interesting. What's your reason for this? I'm a girl and harems put me off, just curious why you feel this way as a guy.
Aug 17, 2016 2:05 PM

Feb 2010
Toua said:
Pullman said:

Interesting. What's your reason for this? I'm a girl and harems put me off, just curious why you feel this way as a guy.

Why I don't like harems in general?
The concept itself doesn't have very much appeal to me on it's own since I prefer dedicated romance than wishy-washy pseudo-polygamy, but mostly they're usually low quality shows with boring or generic characters, no noteworthy plot, bad dialogue and predictable comedy and that's the real problem. I've definitely seen shows that had harem elements but were still great (Monogatari Series, Steins;Gate), but I don't think I can say the same about a dedicated harem show where it's more or less the main/only focus. Say Nisekoi for example.

In my experience reverse harems aren't that much better in terms of characterization and paying not very much attention to developing any kind of plot so I'm usually not a fan either but as I mentioned they're easier to watch than the normal ones because stupid fanservice that doesn't target me is something I can ignore or get mildly annoyed by at worst (sometimes even amused), but when I feel like I'm the target and the creators think I should enjoy that kind of bs I feel offended and if it's really bad it can be extremely frustrating.

In general I'll stay away from both genres but if there is a cool setting or something reverse harems have a better chance of getting a chance from me. But that's really the only difference for me.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 17, 2016 2:07 PM

Aug 2013
Who cares about ratings, target and other shit. Watch what you like.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Aug 17, 2016 2:12 PM

May 2015
If you let target audience limit you, you're preventing yourself from experiencing new viewpoints. Why that? Isn't art's purpose is to explore worldviews and experience? If you limit yourself, you defeat the whole purpose of stories.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 17, 2016 2:24 PM
Aug 2016
Watch whatever you want. Everybody's tastes are different, just because it's not targeted at you is no reason that you can't enjoy it.
Aug 17, 2016 2:26 PM

Mar 2016
Uh... nothing wrong with it at all. Really. You can't expect all girls to like Barbie dolls and you can't expect all boys to like monster trucks. Just do what you want, I think, and watch what you want. I prefer ecchi to shoujo, really, and I'm a girl. There's nothing wrong with that.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Aug 17, 2016 2:31 PM

Feb 2016
I personally enjoy shows aimed at guys except ecchi.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2016 2:51 PM

Dec 2015
Card Captor Sakura is great for everyone, not just girls. I watched it when i was a kid (even though i didn't tell anyone) and it's still one of my favourite anime.
Also, if it came out today it would probably be classified as a Seinen.
Aug 17, 2016 2:51 PM

May 2015
Aww, what's wrong TC? Not man enough to handle a little girly action? And who are these people that recommended you to watch this girly anime? Were they men? Because if they were, then you there's no problem if men can watch it, right? To know a woman, you must observe a woman. That is one of the key steps to becoming a true man!

OT: Just watch it! There are many males who watch girl-targeted anime and vice versa. I've seen my share of anime that were targeted for young girls, and I found some that weren't too bad. There's nothing wrong with "Expanding" your horizons to look for new experiences, so don't be afraid to venture out and watch stuff that's unfamiliar to you. Who knows? Maybe you might find something that you really like, and it is these surprises that make venturing into unknown territory really fun!
Aug 17, 2016 7:58 PM

Feb 2013
if girl watch shounen for the bishounen then guys can watch shoujo for the bishoujo (or loli)
but there's less relevant shoujo out there, so the latter is more rare
Aug 17, 2016 8:00 PM

Aug 2016
Kami-Koto said:
Don't give a shit about target audience. Watch what you're interested in and just drop it if it's not to your liking.

+1 It's not like everyone from your job is sitting behind you watching every anime you watch. Do whatever the hell you want.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - Yesterday

44 by Shirayukin »»
5 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

105 by mo_lave »»
8 minutes ago

» Your top 5 anime couples

Anjumhossain - Dec 12, 2022

40 by WatchTillTandava »»
9 minutes ago

» Seeking Recommendations from My "Plan to Watch" List

vansonbee - 53 minutes ago

4 by ryokoblue »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » How important is the art style for you

nishant0 - Apr 11

41 by SnipeStrike »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.