Forum Settings
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Do you plan to continue reading SAO after the Alicization arc?
Aug 16, 2016 11:23 PM

Sep 2015
As well all know SAO Project Alicization has recently come to an end with it's final volume being released this month. As both an LN and the WN reader I honestly thought that this would have been the final volume (seeing that Kawahara never wrote past the Alicization arc for the WN and the novel having a pretty decent ending) but we received shocking news at the end of the novel saying that SAO will continue after the Alicization arc. What the hell? Why? What for? Do you plan to write some total b.s. that will somehow connect this to Accel World or what? So basically in conclusion will you continue reading SAO after the Alicization arc? Personally I think I"ll drop it unless it's just a one volume epilogue or something along the lines of that.
Aug 18, 2016 6:01 AM

Mar 2014
I plan to read it after the Alicization arc. Also, it really wasn't surprising to see that it wasn't going to be the end especially since it is one of the top selling light novels in Japan. I don't know how many people thought it was actually going to end where the WN ended, but I always assumed it was going to continue.

Also, if I were you I wouldn't consider just dropping it like that just because it didn't end where you wanted it to. The only thing I would be worried about is the series getting ruined with a bad/boring ending or something.

IMO I want to see what Reki will do now. Will he do something awesome or completely butcher it?
"Did you really think I wouldn’t cheat just because I was already winning?" - Dread Emperor Terribilis II

"I chose glory and success. The box did not contain what was written on the lid." - Sand dan Glokta
Aug 19, 2016 10:44 PM

Aug 2015
I have not read the WN, but I kind of predict this will be like Bleach. Bleach had the Aizen/Arrancar/whatever arc that ran for longer than everything before put together and had all of these separate subarcs and conflicts eventually culminating to the defeat of the villain of the entire series. Ichigo saved the world, his powers disappeared, and all was well. That would've been the best place to end the series because that's probably where the author would've ideally intended to end it, and it wouldn't have been a bad ending either. But instead, due to not being able to end the series due to it's popularity, the urging of publishers, or the author's inability to let it go, the author wrote two more arcs. The Fullbringer arc just felt like filler and the Quincy arc I personally couldn't give less of a shit about the villain or anything else about it.

Now Sword Art Online is different than that in many ways but with the Alicization arc being the longest, the best, and the original ending arc in the series it poses the question: How can anything possibly be better than it? It doesn't even matter if it's longer, I don't think Kawahara could write an arc that could rightfully engage us after the Alicization arc. Just because so much time was spent in that arc that ended in (I'm assuming/hoping) an epic way, I don't think he'll be able to write something good enough to make us forget all that. And this problem goes for any series that tries to continue after finishing a lenghty, amazing arc. But hopefully it won't be something I regret reading (finally answering the original question, yes I will read it).
Aug 19, 2016 11:12 PM

Nov 2011
I have no reason not to. I wonder what kind of story he can make after this. Beside, more Alice is always good to me.

Aug 21, 2016 1:46 AM

Sep 2015
AvidAnimeViewer said:
I have not read the WN, but I kind of predict this will be like Bleach.

That's exactly what I think. I really hope Kawahara doesn't ruin his story by continuing it when most people thought it would end.

KaiserNazrin said:
I have no reason not to. I wonder what kind of story he can make after this. Beside, more Alice is always good to me.

But she'll most likely be forgotten like every other heroine other than Asuna.
Aug 21, 2016 3:35 AM

Nov 2011
ya_hallo said:

KaiserNazrin said:

I don't see any of the heroine being forgotten. I think you are mixing up side characters with heroine.

Aug 22, 2016 5:58 PM

Sep 2015
KaiserNazrin said:
ya_hallo said:

I don't see any of the heroine being forgotten. I think you are mixing up side characters with heroine.

Side characters too but heroines as well. ALO heroine Leafa makes a brief cameo in season 2 and does literally nothing in Alicization, GGO heroine Sinon, pretty much no role until the last volume where she fights with Gabriel, still more than Leafa but not nearly enough, and the last "heroine" Eugeo; best character development in all of SAO, got plenty of backstory and was almost as bad ass as Kirito but only mentioned once in the second arc of Alicization. I know that he died and all but still.
Aug 22, 2016 8:59 PM

Nov 2011
ya_hallo said:
KaiserNazrin said:

Side characters too but heroines as well. ALO heroine Leafa makes a brief cameo in season 2 and does literally nothing in Alicization, GGO heroine Sinon, pretty much no role until the last volume where she fights with Gabriel, still more than Leafa but not nearly enough, and the last "heroine" Eugeo; best character development in all of SAO, got plenty of backstory and was almost as bad ass as Kirito but only mentioned once in the second arc of Alicization. I know that he died and all but still.

Just because they have less screentime doesn't mean they are forgotten, if the arc forbid them from having any big involvement then there's no need to otherwise it look forced, Alicication doesn't even need the other heroines until Kirito's start being brain dead for the second time. Imo, it seems it just you being salty that other characters got more focus.

Aug 22, 2016 10:04 PM

Sep 2015
KaiserNazrin said:
ya_hallo said:

Just because they have less screentime doesn't mean they are forgotten, if the arc forbid them from having any big involvement then there's no need to otherwise it look forced, Alicication doesn't even need the other heroines until Kirito's start being brain dead for the second time. Imo, it seems it just you being salty that other characters got more focus.

Nope, not at all. If anything I would be salty because the series is continuing after Alicization. You were claiming that I was mixing up heroines with side characters so I was stating my opinions on why I thought the heroines from the other arcs were being forgotten which you took for me being salty. =)
Aug 23, 2016 12:07 AM

Nov 2011
ya_hallo said:
KaiserNazrin said:

Nope, not at all. If anything I would be salty because the series is continuing after Alicization. You were claiming that I was mixing up heroines with side characters so I was stating my opinions on why I thought the heroines from the other arcs were being forgotten which you took for me being salty. =)

But they are not forgotten. Its the same in many series with many girls, the focus shift from time to time but none of the girls are forgotten so if you say they are still forgotten even after that I can only see it as being salty that another girl doesn't get enough focus.

Aug 23, 2016 1:49 AM

Jun 2015
no, because yen-press is slow on releasing.

PLS: RELEASE THEM QUICKER..

note: I hate reading on my phone or computer...
Takamura-samaAug 23, 2016 1:53 AM
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Aug 23, 2016 2:58 PM

Sep 2015
KaiserNazrin said:
ya_hallo said:

But they are not forgotten. Its the same in many series with many girls, the focus shift from time to time but none of the girls are forgotten so if you say they are still forgotten even after that I can only see it as being salty that another girl doesn't get enough focus.

If they aren't forgotten then they aren't forgotten. Like I said I was only stating my opinion on why I thought they were being forgotten. If you want to claim that I'm salty for that then please do go ahead I'm not going to stop you.
Aug 29, 2016 2:54 AM

Apr 2016
I will continue reading it. Hope that Yen-press will release it quicker in english..

More topics from this board

» Stuff that made you lower your score/rating? [Spoilers]

Kazu-chan-san - Feb 17

7 by RobertBobert »»
Feb 18, 10:26 AM

» Still feels rushed

Cneq - Nov 14, 2022

7 by Saynarra »»
Jan 19, 4:08 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Volume 4 Chapter 9 Discussion

Shadow_Strider - Dec 4, 2012

2 by eleonora_43 »»
Oct 14, 2023 4:23 AM

» Continue the LN after the last season

baltazak - Apr 5, 2023

2 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Oct 13, 2023 2:52 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Chapter 2 Discussion

Kiba_Senpai - Nov 27, 2022

0 by Kiba_Senpai »»
Nov 27, 2022 4:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.