Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 19, 2016 7:16 AM

Jun 2016
You shouldn't feel guilty for liking something if it doesn't effect people negatively.
Aug 19, 2016 10:46 PM

Jan 2016
I believe most of the answers are coming off the wrong angle with the tone of "you shouldn't be ashamed of your individual tastes" but missing the point of the article.

I do believe guilty pleasures exist as long as there exists fans who succumb to peer pressure and consensus. Taken from an individual perspective, "guilty pleasures" derive from enjoying a certain anime despite knowing that it might be considered (for example) cliched moeblobs or fanservice galore with no plot by the majority. These tropes are usually shunned as "bad taste" by more veteran enthusiasts, and letting others know you enjoy it might receive some judgemental or circlejerk responses.

Though you may not see anything wrong with liking something doesn't mean that guilty pleasures "don't exist". They are real from a psychological perspective for a lot of people, but not all. Even if you DON'T feel shame from bad cliched stories, they can be deemed guilty pleasures if it's known to be unlike your usual taste (e.g. I watched to Love-ru precisely because of fanservice, despite usually preferring deeper stories that may be respected like End of Evangelion); or going further, they might not exist for YOU if you shamelessly proclaim you interest in "bad" anime or don't care at all.
Aug 19, 2016 10:58 PM

Apr 2016
yes. yes i do. fairy tail literally screams NAKAMA every 10 seconds, animation is useless, dumb as fuck fight scenes, pretty generic story, all of the female characters seem to have the same boob size, etc. I have every reason to drop the series but somehow i can't stop watching it and i'm actually looking forward to the next season.
Aug 19, 2016 11:04 PM

May 2016
I actually enjoyed watching Mayoiga and Berserk 2016 despite everyone talking shit about it. I look at the positive sides, I suppose.

It's kind of a guilty pleasure since I listen to my friends discussing about how bad the series are, but I always go my way to protect my personal opinion without shitting on theirs though.

Aug 20, 2016 1:13 AM

Jul 2009
Yeah I do. The term for me usually means so-bad-it's-good-stuff (eg. Cross Ange, Valvrave)
Aug 20, 2016 1:23 AM

Dec 2015
Yu Gi Oh GX was the milking of a flawed series that had already been milked too much, with a high school setting and children trading cards drama. Still nostalgic about the shit that I liked when I was little and retarded, despite the fact that I could write an essay about how bad it actually is.
Aug 20, 2016 1:33 AM

Oct 2013
I don't believe in feeling guilty from getting pleasure.

No but seriously I have things I kind of regret watching but I've never really felt guilty about watching anything. There's probably things I should feel guilty about if I was normal...whatever that is.
Aug 20, 2016 3:01 AM

Sep 2014
Of course the term makes sense. It's not something you 'believe in'. About anime though? I don't know.
I don't feel guilty about watching any anime. There are some, I enjoy immensely and have a lot of sympathy for, despite not considering them all that great (for example, highschool DxD) but I don't feel guilty watching them. Why would I? Nothing bad about enjoying any anime. So I don't use the term in here.
But it makes a lot of sense for some other things. Soda is my guilty pleasure. I drink a can or two every day, I know it's no good for me, but I can't help, I like it too much. I feel guilty cuz I'm harming my health
Aug 20, 2016 3:07 AM

May 2016
Why would you feel guilty about liking certain shows?.....You can like something because its so bad that its good, like it ironically or because its fappable etc... but theres is no reason to feel guilty about that.
Aug 20, 2016 8:07 AM

Jan 2016
-Abyss_Walker- said:
Why would you feel guilty about liking certain shows?.....You can like something because its so bad that its good, like it ironically or because its fappable etc... but theres is no reason to feel guilty about that.

Reasons: Peer pressure? Receiving circlejerk/flame comments from more "elite" fans, or even something that might be misinterpreted by non-anime fans (e.g. HOTD)? While the former can be somehow solved with a positive mentality, the latter (cyberbullying) tends to be more common in households or groups with too few fellow fans to relate to.
Aug 20, 2016 2:16 PM

May 2015
takoShinji said:
-Abyss_Walker- said:

Reasons: Peer pressure? Receiving circlejerk/flame comments from more "elite" fans, or even something that might be misinterpreted by non-anime fans (e.g. HOTD)? While the former can be somehow solved with a positive mentality, the latter (cyberbullying) tends to be more common in households or groups with too few fellow fans to relate to.

Catching flak for what you like seem to be the defining trait of 'guilty pleasure'. Shows how social belonging may be the crucial thing that influences behavior.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 20, 2016 3:10 PM

Jun 2009
Yes. I like a fair share of bad anime for being poorly written. I love Battle Royal High School for being so over the top when the plot makes no sense. Bio Hunter was very cool to watch despite not having a strong story.
Aug 20, 2016 4:48 PM

Mar 2010
Depends how you define guilty pleasure.

For example, a show has poor writing, a cast of 30 forgettable, dull and annoying characters, nonsensical and really unnatural dialogue and no coherence whatsoever.

Yeah, I enjoyed watching Mayoiga, I really did. I really don't know why, but I was looking forward for more episodes week by week, and it entertained me. Sure, I was disappointed about just how awful and horrible it all turned out, but what's important is that I enjoyed my time watching it.

So, I'm not sure how many anime are out there like Mayoiga, but seeing this show, I do believe in guilty pleasures.
nullAug 20, 2016 4:55 PM

Aug 20, 2016 4:59 PM

Nov 2014
Yes. My newest guilty pleasure is the Household Affairs manga. I don't even know why i like it so much. it's not my taste at all but you bet your ass im anxiously waiting for an update!!
Aug 20, 2016 6:23 PM

May 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
merryfistmas said:
Because they're bad. I love some terrible Nic Cage movies for reasons that have nothing to do with their quality. Mayoiga is like this. I know you don't believe in so bad it's good, but it's quite easy to tell when something's not evoking the intended feels. Usually this just makes it I enjoyable, but in some cases it's hilarious.

I do believe in 'so bad it's good, but if it's so bad it's good then it's a reason why it's good. It may not be the intended reason, but it does have some value. If a frying pan is bad as a frying pan but good as a toy, then overall it's useful.
Translation: I do not understand simple English idioms.

Why do people take phrases like "it's so bad it's good" literally? Do people not understand that these are just expressions and mean something different from what they literally mean?

I'm really confused as to how people are somehow incapable of processing the idea that people just enjoy things that are fucking awful.
Aug 21, 2016 12:26 AM

May 2015
Yudina said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I do believe in 'so bad it's good, but if it's so bad it's good then it's a reason why it's good. It may not be the intended reason, but it does have some value. If a frying pan is bad as a frying pan but good as a toy, then overall it's useful.

Why do people take phrases like "it's so bad it's good" literally? Do people not understand that these are just expressions and mean something different from what they literally mean?

I'm really confused as to how people are somehow incapable of processing the idea that people just enjoy things that are fucking awful.

I'm really confused as to how people are incapable of claiming others don't understand a term but then refuse to explain it.
Aug 21, 2016 12:51 AM

Dec 2012
Tarotist said:
Guilty Pleasure is a pleasure that makes you feel guilty, and it is a term that only applies to those who feel shame.
Ehhhh, No.
It would be more accurate to say that the term applies to subject which you know is poorly written/made, but you enjoy it anyway, because it fulfills your inner fetishes, desires etc.
I'm never wrong. I once thought I was wrong, turns out, I was mistaken.
Aug 21, 2016 12:57 AM

Apr 2016
Yes, I believe in guilty pleasures.
Sry guys, I'm the main character of this anime.
Aug 21, 2016 1:02 AM

Feb 2016
of course guilty pleasures are a thing. personally i don't really have anything like that, but just because you don't experience it doesn't make it invalid.

▬▬▬▬▬✿♥✿▬▬▬▬▬
change of heart
Aug 21, 2016 4:33 AM

May 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
Yudina said:

I'm really confused as to how people are incapable of claiming others don't understand a term but then refuse to explain it.
That moment when you realize that I literally defined it in the next paragraph.

Is reading comprehension a problem for you too?

I mean your original post about a "frying pan" is so bad that it doesn't actually warrant a response. I legit got ebola reading it, but boy did I have an initial laugh. You could say it was so bad that it was good.
YudinaAug 21, 2016 4:38 AM
Aug 21, 2016 5:14 AM

Apr 2013
I believe in guilty pleasure. ONLY when it comes to BL. I hide it from my family because if they ever knew, well... count me as dead of shame. Tho in the Internet i don't care because BL is LIFE. Lol

Illyricus said:
I believe in animes who I consider bad, but I enjoyed despite that (Mayoiga).

Same. That anime was so hilarious that i actually give it a 9 when the anime ended for being so bad but enjoyable but then changed it to 7 XD
Aug 21, 2016 10:21 AM

May 2015
Yudina said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I mean your original post about a "frying pan" is so bad that it doesn't actually warrant a response. I legit got ebola reading it, but boy did I have an initial laugh. You could say it was so bad that it was good.

If you enjoy something, how is it bad? What do you mean by a bad anime?
Aug 21, 2016 10:55 AM

Oct 2015
Not when I am on the internet.

In real life I would be hard pressed to admit I like a lot of the anime I do like outside of my friends, but on the internet you can change your identity completely on a whim so guilt is counter-productive.
Aug 21, 2016 12:42 PM
Jun 2016
RainyRai said:
Like the title says, do you think guilty pleasures is a term that makes sense and should be used? Why? Do you yourself have some guilty pleasures? What does guilty pleasure mean to you.

this thread was brought to you by the Arthur Fining Davis foundation.

I used to think guilty pleasure were a thing and obviously I had my own. Particularly this year I thought netoge no yome was a guilty pleasure of mine, given that on the surface it is a really DUMB DUMB DUMB harem show but I still loved it.

This brought the obvious question of why I like it so much even though I 'knew' it was so bad. I know SAO is bad and I hate it for it. The same goes for many other shows that are bad, I hate them. I hate bad shows. We all do. No one likes bad shows.

The problem was obvious after this realization. Maybe there is something that I am not really thinking about that is making me like the show so much... and there was. Netoge is filled with deep characters and themes that I just was not noticing because I was always looking at Ako's tits. I mean this literally. If she was in the scene I was looking at her tits and that is a problem of its own. Maybe if studios want us to clearly see their artistic direction then they need to stop watering it down with pointless fanservice.

The same happened with konobi this season. On the surface it is a dumb cute girls show but deep inside it is about dealing with someone else's conformity and the destructive aspects of their personality but that is hard to see when the opening quite literally has a whole scene that focuses on the tits and ass of one of the main characters of the show.
When the sun go down I'm a fiend.
When the sun go down I'm a monster.
When the sun go down I'm sippin lean.
When the sun go down I hope it never come up.
Aug 21, 2016 12:46 PM

Oct 2013
I would also say "No" to the idea of guilty pleasures. It seems cowardly. Why feel guilty about something you enjoy? Who cares what other people think about it?

I especially share any anime I like on FB even though I know it will trigger my normie friends.
Aug 22, 2016 3:49 PM

May 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
Yudina said:

These are literally pseud questions.

Enjoying something that's bad is philosophically analogous to enjoying eating unhealthy food. You know it's not good for you, it's got excessive calories, and you're probably taking in too much sodium, but you do it because you like it.

The only difference is enjoying anime is subjective, because there's no scientific bright line to distinguish what kind of anime is good or bad for you, but that distinction is hardly relevant here. You make those kind of assessments as what anime is "good" for you, but you are also perfectly allowed to enjoy anime that fail to meet any of those assessments whatsoever.

This is honestly a much more complicated answer than it needs to be. Literally, people are allowed to enjoy things while acknowledging they're shit. Asking open ended questions like "but if they enjoy it....does that mean it's bad" is just being a pseud and trying to posture for the sake of posturing.
Aug 23, 2016 6:45 AM

May 2015
Yudina said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Enjoying something that's bad is philosophically analogous to enjoying eating unhealthy food. You know it's not good for you, it's got excessive calories, and you're probably taking in too much sodium, but you do it because you like it.

The only difference is enjoying anime is subjective, because there's no scientific bright line to distinguish what kind of anime is good or bad for you, but that distinction is hardly relevant here. You make those kind of assessments as what anime is "good" for you, but you are also perfectly allowed to enjoy anime that fail to meet any of those assessments whatsoever.

This is honestly a much more complicated answer than it needs to be. Literally, people are allowed to enjoy things while acknowledging they're shit. Asking open ended questions like "but if they enjoy it....does that mean it's bad" is just being a pseud and trying to posture for the sake of posturing.

Wait, how is 'good food' necessarily healthy food? where does that definition come from?
Aug 23, 2016 6:50 AM

May 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
Yudina said:

Wait, how is 'good food' necessarily healthy food? where does that definition come from?
Are you just not capable of thinking for yourself on top of not being able to read?

I literally noted that there's a scientific bright line for food that is good for you.

I would meme about how your line of questioning is everything wrong with how pseuds do philosophy, but these questions remind me of a time when I sat at the base of a waterfall and prayed to a rock. Needless to say the rock did not enlighten me.
Aug 23, 2016 10:03 AM

Jun 2015
@Yudina Fucking hell, m8. Quality foods have nothing to do with their nutrition. Anime doesn't even have nutritional value to begin with.
Aug 23, 2016 10:19 AM

May 2016
AltoRoark said:
@Yudina Fucking hell, m8. Quality foods have nothing to do with their nutrition. Anime doesn't even have nutritional value to begin with.
First of all, yes they do, if we define good quality food as having the best scientifically proven nutritional value, which is what I set out as the underlying framework of my original post. Second of all, if we were to assume that "quality" meant more a standard of excellence pertaining to a sort of taste in food, then even there we can reasonably argue that people are free to enjoy well-done steak, but just know that they're eating shitty steak. In other words, people are free to eat shitty things, but it can be reasoned that there is a decent understanding of what is "good" or "quality" or "healthy" food that does not have to be aligned with what you want to eat.

Any of these points are brought up in my original comment. Do you not read either? Please read before you spout asinine comments.

ThingsThatPeopleDoNotRead said:

I'm sorry if you don't know what the word "analogous" means and you're unaware of what it means to draw reasoned parallels with caveats, but please don't say things like "anime doesn't have nutritional value" as if I in any way made that sort of claim. I do not want to be associated with stupid.

I mean, just to point out your cluenessness further, even if we bought the fact that I had, for some reason said, "anime has nutritional value," you'd still be wrong in saying that it's untrue, because the analogy is that any form of fiction does have nutritional value; it's just not determined by science, it's determined by you. Strong themes, characters, story, or whatever are all benchmarks through which people decide whether something is "good" for them. But like my post suggests, people are free to discard those benchmarks whenever they want, and enjoy things that by their standards is awful.

Again, this is just so much more complex than it needs to be. All that needs to be said is that for whatever reason simple English idioms are beyond some people's comprehension. The fact that the people who don't understand this don't know how to read basically tells me exactly why this is the case.
YudinaAug 23, 2016 10:28 AM
Aug 23, 2016 11:47 AM

Jun 2015
Yudina said:
yadda yadda yadda

Damn, the hostility is unreal. Anyhow, I didn't necessarily mean "quality" foods, but "good" foods. I minor fluke on my part. But many desserts and such are considered good foods, even though they aren't good for you nutritionally.

But disregarding that, I won't be entertained by something that doesn't meet my standards, unless its the "so bad it's good/funny" scenario which is a whole different case. Shit like "I like this, even though it's bad" is only said by those who care too much about what others think of said anime.

Analogies have to make sense, mate. The parallel between food nutrition and anime does not. Anime quality isn't mathematics or science. That's exactly why I said "anime doesn't have nutritional value". I never said that YOU said it. Our "standards" are engraved in our tastes. We don't make them up and then look for which anime lives up to them. If I like something, it appeals to my tastes, and therefore meets my standards. It's that simple.

And PS, you're the one making this more complex than it needs to be, lmao. Your post would be a whole lot more straightforward without all the "ur stupid and clueless and blablabla" bullshit.
Aug 23, 2016 12:19 PM

May 2016
AltoRoark said:
Yudina said:
yadda yadda yadda

Damn, the hostility is unreal. Anyhow, I didn't necessarily mean "quality" foods, but "good" foods. I minor fluke on my part. But many desserts and such are considered good foods, even though they aren't good for you nutritionally.
You barge into a conversation saying retarded things. I'm only acerbic because you didn't even read what I wrote, yet you decide to respond with asinine comments that give me ebola that have nothing to do with what I said.

Also, this entire spiel you had about "good" food relating to desserts: I already covered in my previous post. So....thanks again for proving to me that you just don't read anything I write outside of me insulting you for not reading. Oh, the irony.

AltoRoark said:
But disregarding that, I won't be entertained by something that doesn't meet my standards, unless its the "so bad it's good/funny" scenario which is a whole different case. Shit like "I like this, even though it's bad" is only said by those who care too much about what others think of said anime.
Do you like....not know anything about English? You do know that the "so bad it's good" expression means that you enjoy something even though you think it's bad?

AltoRoark said:
Analogies have to make sense, mate. The parallel between food nutrition and anime does not. Anime quality isn't mathematics or science. That's exactly why I said "anime doesn't have nutritional value". I never said that YOU said it. Our "standards" are engraved in our tastes. We don't make them up and then look for which anime lives up to them. If I like something, it appeals to my tastes, and therefore meets my standards. It's that simple.
So basically you admit to making a strawman by saying "anime doesn't have nutritional value" and arguing against it as a response to my post on top just not reading what I said anyway.

You're literally just spewing nonsense garbage without addressing anything I've said in my post. You fail to address the point that people are perfectly capable of liking things that do not live up their standards or tastes. I don't care where your standards or tastes come from. They could come from the garbage; the fact remains that people don't have to hate things that are outside of their standard of taste.

AltoRoark said:
And PS, you're the one making this more complex than it needs to be, lmao. Your post would be a whole lot more straightforward without all the "ur stupid and clueless and blablabla" bullshit.
I am far from being complex, but if you think I'm being complicated, then I'm sorry you find basic English so difficult to parse. You also didn't read my original statement, where I succinctly said that some pseud was incapable of understanding why people are allowed and can enjoy bad things. I only responded when he decided to ask "deep" questions but just ended up getting exposed for fraudulent questioning. I'm glad you decided to respond to my post with a strawman with no context and no real argument.

And no, I think calling what you said stupid is perfectly comprehensible, unless you're telling me that you're incapable of understanding even that.
YudinaAug 23, 2016 12:32 PM
Aug 23, 2016 2:19 PM

Jun 2015
Yudina said:
AltoRoark said:

You barge into a conversation saying retarded things. I'm only acerbic because you didn't even read what I wrote, yet you decide to respond with asinine comments that give me ebola that have nothing to do with what I said.

Also, this entire spiel you had about "good" food relating to desserts: I already covered in my previous post. So....thanks again for proving to me that you just don't read anything I write outside of me insulting you for not reading. Oh, the irony.

AltoRoark said:
Do you like....not know anything about English? You do know that the "so bad it's good" expression means that you enjoy something even though you think it's bad?

AltoRoark said:
So basically you admit to making a strawman by saying "anime doesn't have nutritional value" and arguing against it as a response to my post on top just not reading what I said anyway.

You're literally just spewing nonsense garbage without addressing anything I've said in my post. You fail to address the point that people are perfectly capable of liking things that do not live up their standards or tastes. I don't care where your standards or tastes come from. They could come from the garbage; the fact remains that people don't have to hate things that are outside of their standard of taste.

AltoRoark said:
I am far from being complex, but if you think I'm being complicated, then I'm sorry you find basic English so difficult to parse. You also didn't read my original statement, where I succinctly said that some pseud was incapable of understanding why people are allowed and can enjoy bad things. I only responded when he decided to ask "deep" questions but just ended up getting exposed for fraudulent questioning. I'm glad you decided to respond to my post with a strawman with no context and no real argument.

And no, I think calling what you said stupid is perfectly comprehensible, unless you're telling me that you're incapable of understanding even that.

Just for you to clarify on what my main point is, I do think you can enjoy bad things, but not LIKE bad things. Therefore I do not believe in "guilty pleasures". Enjoying something for how bad it is and enjoying something for how much you like it are different things. I thought this

After reading through your previous posts, I never saw a single valid argument about desserts and other unhealthy foods. So I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I'm not sure that you know what a strawman is, mate. I said it to point out the blatant flaw in your analogy. I elaborate on this in my previous post.

I did address it, mate. I just made a point against it in my post:
Our "standards" are engraved in our tastes. We don't make them up and then look for which anime lives up to them. If I like something, it appeals to my tastes, and therefore meets my standards. It's that simple.
Oh, and "you're spewing nonsense garbage" and "I don't care" are not arguments. And restating your main point without backing it up doesn't work either.

So yeah, you've made little to no counterarguments here. Just random insults and false accusations.
Aug 23, 2016 2:27 PM

Jan 2012
I don't have any guilty pleasures no.
Aug 23, 2016 11:46 PM

May 2015
Yudina said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Are you just not capable of thinking for yourself on top of not being able to read?

I literally noted that there's a scientific bright line for food that is good for you.

I would meme about how your line of questioning is everything wrong with how pseuds do philosophy, but these questions remind me of a time when I sat at the base of a waterfall and prayed to a rock. Needless to say the rock did not enlighten me.

Jesusfuckareyoustupidisthisnotclear

/discussion.

Back on topic: Can't you define your terms? Can't you explain why you arrived at the conclusion why "Good means XYZ"?
Aug 24, 2016 3:12 AM

May 2016
AltoRoark said:
Just for you to clarify on what my main point is, I do think you can enjoy bad things, but not LIKE bad things. Therefore I do not believe in "guilty pleasures". Enjoying something for how bad it is and enjoying something for how much you like it are different things.
Such distinction. I love how much people in the anime community go so far to draw meaningless semantic differences that are ultimately irrelevant. It's like you go through mental loops to convince yourself that it's impossible for people to act a certain way when clearly they do. What's the difference between enjoying something and liking it?

You also do know that guilty pleasures refer to when people.....enjoy bad things right (not always the case though)? Again...is English just not a language you understand? Perhaps I should recommend something more straight forward?

AltoRoark said:
After reading through your previous posts, I never saw a single valid argument about desserts and other unhealthy foods. So I'm not sure what you're getting at.
So, basically, you don't read?

ThingsAltoRoarkDoesNotKnowHowToRead said:
Second of all, if we were to assume that "quality" meant more a standard of excellence pertaining to a sort of taste in food, then even there we can reasonably argue that people are free to enjoy well-done steak, but just know that they're eating shitty steak. In other words, people are free to eat shitty things, but it can be reasoned that there is a decent understanding of what is "good" or "quality" or "healthy" food that does not have to be aligned with what you want to eat.

AltoRoark said:
I'm not sure that you know what a strawman is, mate. I said it to point out the blatant flaw in your analogy. I elaborate on this in my previous post.
That's because you don't understand what an analogy or a strawman is. You drew a strawman because you spun an argument out of mid-air that has nothing to do with my post "anime doesn't have nutritional value" and argued against it, even when that's not remotely my point. You not understanding the analogy (that much like how we understand what food is good for us, we construct a similar standard for what anime is good for us) is not the same as the analogy being irrelevant. Besides, I already responded to it before you even made your strawman in the form of a caveat:

ILiterallyBlockedItOutInAParagraph said:

So please stop acting like you have some sort of intellectual brilliance in pointing out flaws in analogies when you clearly don't read my posts. This would also be the time to point out that "guilty pleasures" are used just as often in food as they used in people having guilty pleasures in television shows. Once again, I think this just demonstrates your lack of understanding of basic English expressions and terms. And you're the one trying to tell me what a strawman is?

AltoRoark said:
Our "standards" are engraved in our tastes. We don't make them up and then look for which anime lives up to them. If I like something, it appeals to my tastes, and therefore meets my standards. It's that simple.
Oh, and "you're spewing nonsense garbage" and "I don't care" are not arguments. And restating your main point without backing it up doesn't work either.
This is again, literally a non-argument. How does this address what I'm saying? How you formulate your tastes or standards does not preclude the fact that your standards exist and thus you judge anime according to them. My point isn't how you come up with your tastes. My point is how you use your tastes and standards to judge things. Like you're literally trying to put the horse before the cart here.

TheBrainintheJar said:

/discussion.

Back on topic: Can't you define your terms? Can't you explain why you arrived at the conclusion why "Good means XYZ"?
No. If you're not going to read anything I write, which you clearly haven't considering you ask questions that have already have clarified, and just posture like some pseudo intellectual who doesn't know how to do anything but ask questions, I'm really not gonna bother answering you. Everything you want answered is literally in my posts. Literally, just read them.

All I see you do in multiple threads is posture around like some pseud who asks meaningless questions like some guy who is way too obsessed with the continentals and fell for the question meme.
YudinaAug 24, 2016 6:38 AM
Aug 25, 2016 2:51 PM

Jun 2015
@Yudina Your bs about steaks doesn't prove or argue a thing. It just restates your main point and nothing else. So yeah, I stand by what I said.

You can laugh at how badly a singer performs, that doesn't mean I like the song, as opposed to genuinely liking certain music. Liking something is enjoying it in context of what it was trying to do. Let's take a look at Another. You're either genuinely freightened by it, or you laugh at it for how it fails to frighten you. The former is liking, the latter is "so bad it's good". Seriously, isn't this common sense?

My "anime doesn't have nutritional value" statement was to point out that there's no other measure of anime quality outside of how much we like it, unlike food. So "anime quality is subjective" is a perfectly relevant distinction as opposed to "hardly relevant".

I addressed your point on how we make assessments on what's good and what's bad. You're saying standards are separated from how much we like something. I say that if I like something, then it meets my standards. There's no way around it. I don't make up my standards. Their in my taste, and I enjoy things in accordance to them.

PS, I love how you think I claim to have intellectual brilliance when I'm not the one calling my opponent dumb, clueless, etc. You seem more interested in dumping out edgy comments than actual debate. Your saying "that frying pan analogy is so stupid it doesn't warrant a response" says plenty about your maturity level.
Aug 26, 2016 12:13 AM

May 2013
anime in general is a guilty pleasure for me
Aug 26, 2016 6:17 AM

Oct 2015
Lol this thread continues to show how anime fans are some of the most self-loathing people on the planet. If you wanna stop feeling guilt you should just be less ashamed about yourself.

Most vocal "gamers" are obnoxious douchebags but they don't feel guilt and aren't hated by others anymore simply because they aren't guilty about what they do.
Aug 26, 2016 7:38 AM
Mar 2014
If you mean in the literal sense of a show you feel bad for liking, I do, because there are plenty of anime fans online who seem embarrassed about their preferences. Other than that, though,my opinion is the same as Merryfistmas and Illyricus's.

I also think that there are some shows that you enjoy but don't exactly appreciate , say, you think about it after watching it and simply don't feel satisfied with it or with what it does, but you still enjoy the watch itself because of some unrelated element.
For example, let's say a show has a tsundere (everyone's favorite archetype), all of your favorite superpowers involved and takes place in one of those generic fantasy settings you've always preferred for some reason. Even if any other show with the same quality of writing or emotional impact or plot progression or whatever you know (or don't know) you appreciate in a show would have been awfully uninteresting or dull to you, that specific one that manages to hit all of your enjoyment fetishes would be far more enjoyable and you thus enjoy it despite acknowledging it as what you would otherwise consider a bad show.

Likewise, there could be shows that resonate with you personally more due to say, a specific theme or character, even if you don't think they're as well-constructed as that other show you watched last week that handled its narrative perfectly by your standards, but didn't deal with the same ideas that were so gripping for you in the first show.

Basically, I think that there IS a distinction to be made between your personal like of a show and how good you think the show is, but more importantly, that it should never justify feeling guilty or sullen over the shows that you like.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Aug 26, 2016 7:42 AM

Apr 2016
The closest one to a guilty pleasure for me is SAO. I wholly admit that SAO kind of sucks, but I still enjoyed it at points despite this.
Aug 26, 2016 8:50 AM

May 2015
Yudina said:
AltoRoark said:
Just for you to clarify on what my main point is, I do think you can enjoy bad things, but not LIKE bad things. Therefore I do not believe in "guilty pleasures". Enjoying something for how bad it is and enjoying something for how much you like it are different things.
Such distinction. I love how much people in the anime community go so far to draw meaningless semantic differences that are ultimately irrelevant. It's like you go through mental loops to convince yourself that it's impossible for people to act a certain way when clearly they do. What's the difference between enjoying something and liking it?

You also do know that guilty pleasures refer to when people.....enjoy bad things right (not always the case though)? Again...is English just not a language you understand? Perhaps I should recommend something more straight forward?

AltoRoark said:
So, basically, you don't read?

ThingsAltoRoarkDoesNotKnowHowToRead said:
Second of all, if we were to assume that "quality" meant more a standard of excellence pertaining to a sort of taste in food, then even there we can reasonably argue that people are free to enjoy well-done steak, but just know that they're eating shitty steak. In other words, people are free to eat shitty things, but it can be reasoned that there is a decent understanding of what is "good" or "quality" or "healthy" food that does not have to be aligned with what you want to eat.

AltoRoark said:
That's because you don't understand what an analogy or a strawman is. You drew a strawman because you spun an argument out of mid-air that has nothing to do with my post "anime doesn't have nutritional value" and argued against it, even when that's not remotely my point. You not understanding the analogy (that much like how we understand what food is good for us, we construct a similar standard for what anime is good for us) is not the same as the analogy being irrelevant. Besides, I already responded to it before you even made your strawman in the form of a caveat:

ILiterallyBlockedItOutInAParagraph said:

So please stop acting like you have some sort of intellectual brilliance in pointing out flaws in analogies when you clearly don't read my posts. This would also be the time to point out that "guilty pleasures" are used just as often in food as they used in people having guilty pleasures in television shows. Once again, I think this just demonstrates your lack of understanding of basic English expressions and terms. And you're the one trying to tell me what a strawman is?

AltoRoark said:
This is again, literally a non-argument. How does this address what I'm saying? How you formulate your tastes or standards does not preclude the fact that your standards exist and thus you judge anime according to them. My point isn't how you come up with your tastes. My point is how you use your tastes and standards to judge things. Like you're literally trying to put the horse before the cart here.

TheBrainintheJar said:

/discussion.

No. If you're not going to read anything I write, which you clearly haven't considering you ask questions that have already have clarified, and just posture like some pseudo intellectual who doesn't know how to do anything but ask questions, I'm really not gonna bother answering you. Everything you want answered is literally in my posts. Literally, just read them.

All I see you do in multiple threads is posture around like some pseud who asks meaningless questions like some guy who is way too obsessed with the continentals and fell for the question meme.

I think that, in a civil discussion, you assume the person you talk with isn't the most intelligent person ever. They may miss something, or misunderstand. I'm not convinced by "I already repeated this!". If someone didn't understand something and keeps asking me questions, I'll keep asking them or referring them to previous answers.
Aug 26, 2016 10:01 AM

May 2016
AltoRoark said:
@Yudina Your bs about steaks doesn't prove or argue a thing. It just restates your main point and nothing else. So yeah, I stand by what I said.
It doesn't restate the main point, but you're free to be stupid and think that.

Today I learned:

1. Much like how guilty pleasures are used in food where people eat tons of unhealthy foods while feeling guilty that they're supposed to be eating more healthily, people are free to like anime even if they think it's bad or mediocre.
2. If we take out the "unhealthy/healthy" argument and just focus solely on the taste of food, there's still an argument to be made. There are standards of quality for what makes a good steak (and thus other foods such as desserts, salads, etc). People are often free to enjoy binge eating "bad foods" such as well done steaks or an oreo cookie, while simultaneously acknowledging that they're either not well made culinary dishes or straight up cheap products providing some lingering feeling of satiation.

That point #2 is the same as #1.

Brilliant. Where did you learn your English comprehension skills?

And before you make it sound like I didn't say this in my previous post. Please sit the fuck down:

ThingsISaidAtTheBeginning said:
Which is a condensed version of the above.

Besides, your argument was stupid to begin with. Your only response to this entire premise is that "desserts" exist.

You had no logic. No argument. No basis for arguing the fundamental premise and framework of the above. You just said "desserts."

Fucking desserts.

StupidPostIsStupid said:
But many desserts and such are considered good foods, even though they aren't good for you nutritionally.
The part about anime not having nutritional value is answered below, but dear god the stupidity of someone to basically argue against something with literally no logic except "well he didn't mention this type of food and thus must be absurd" is beyond my realm of understanding: how someone could be so logically inept as to say that they stand by their original statement of literally having said nothing of substance.

This cognitive dissonance is really just out of this world. I even talk about this "good" you're talking about.

AltoRoark said:
You can laugh at how badly a singer performs, that doesn't mean I like the song, as opposed to genuinely liking certain music. Liking something is enjoying it in context of what it was trying to do. Let's take a look at Another. You're either genuinely freightened by it, or you laugh at it for how it fails to frighten you. The former is liking, the latter is "so bad it's good". Seriously, isn't this common sense?
This might be the dumbest application of "common sense" I've ever read.

It also reeks of someone who doesn't understand music.

Bombshell: You're perfectly capable of liking what you perceive to be a bad song or piece. Good music isn't just something you feel; there are musical standards people develop themselves to judge what they like or do not like. I'll use classical music as an example. Go listen to Glenn Gould's rendition of Beethoven Op 14 no. 2. Most people who have read sheet music and have listened to Moonlight know that Gould's is iconoclastic. In some ways it's sacrosanct and a travesty, and by most known understandings of musical interpretation, Gould's rendition is "bad." I would likely concur with people who make those assessments.

But you know what? I still like it. I think it's iconoclastic for a good reason, and while I can't say that the interpretation is good by my own standards, there are intangible and indistinguishable things that make me like it.

Okay. Another example. Let's look at Demetori. They're a Japanese metal group that does metal remixes of Touhou music. By my standards of musicality, I would not call them good. Their pieces are usually trite and cliched, with the same predictable riffs and chords over and over again. There's little dynamic variation: it's almost always either really loud clashing sounds or soft acoustics with very little variation in between. By my standards, I'd say Demetori are pretty bad.

But I still enjoying listening to them. I don't "laugh" at how bad they are. I don't listen to the performance and start cackling, and then go on forums and scoff that Demetori is "so bad that it's good." I say that I like listening to them despite the fact that I don't think they produce good music.

Are you capable of understanding this basic premise? Or do I have to bring out more examples? You know what? I think you're stupid, so let's keep going.

You talk about fucking genres like horror. You start with this nugget of wisdom:

"Liking something is enjoying it in context of what it was trying to do."

Fucking hell. It's so black and white with you. You're either "frightened" (therefore you must like it) or you either start laughing at it (it's so bad it's good). Literally, what the fuck am I reading? You are perfectly capable of liking a horror that's bad. There are people who genuinely like watching Michael Bay movies, even though they're bad, because of precisely what they are. What are Micheal Bay movies? They're bombastic summer blockbusters with huge explosions. Are they good? By my understanding, no. I think they're shallow flicks with cheap entertainment value.

But you know what? I've liked watching some of them. By all my standards, I would not call "The Rock" a good film. It's got a stupid plot, no real characters, and Sean Connery is hardly a saving grace in an otherwise bizarre sequence of events. But I didn't laugh at it. I didn't go "lol it's so bad it's good." I enjoyed watching The Rock, but I'd never call it a good film.

Do you need an anime example? Fine. Let's go there.

Code Geass. It's got a lot of labels on it. Science fiction. Is it a good science fiction story? I wouldn't say so, based on my experience with science fiction. Is it a good mecha? It doesn't really ring as a mecha anime, because it really only uses the robots as a means to an end as opposed to being a means in and of themselves. So by both those standards, Code Geass isn't a good representation of the exact genre that it represents. But I like Code Geass, for all its other story faults and lack of believable characters, I liked it. I'd say the same with Psycho Pass. It's shitty sci-fi, cribs from basically every notable cyberpunk work in existence, and Urobutcher is a fucking hack. But it's an easy and enjoyable watch.

What part of still being able to like things that are not up to your standards do you not understand? I'm really glad you started talking about shit like music, because this just tells me you actually have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

AltoRoark said:
My "anime doesn't have nutritional value" statement was to point out that there's no other measure of anime quality outside of how much we like it, unlike food. So "anime quality is subjective" is a perfectly relevant distinction as opposed to "hardly relevant".
I'm not even sure what to say.

Of course there's a measurement for quality. And you know what? I've already said it once in this thread. I've said that individuals establish the measurements and standards to determine what anime is good or bad for them.

Oh wait, you didn't read any my posts. No fucking wonder you still spew out this garbage.

The reason why it's a strawman is because I never even said anime doesn't have nutritional value, and yet you responded to me with that argument. Legit, the definition of a strawman is you:

1. Make up an argument your opponent never said and is completely irrelevant to his or her point.
2. Argue against it.

Like can you stop talking about nutrition and anime as if I had made any indication that I was talking about some objective scientific metric for measuring anime? I even said explicitly in my very first fucking post that the difference between anime and food is that there's "no scientific brightline."

I literally spelled it out for you, and you still continue to make asinine posts. Are you going to keep embarrassing yourself with how often you misread, misinterpret, and strawman my positions?

AltoRoark said:
I addressed your point on how we make assessments on what's good and what's bad. You're saying standards are separated from how much we like something. I say that if I like something, then it meets my standards. There's no way around it. I don't make up my standards. Their in my taste, and I enjoy things in accordance to them.
More strawmen. Here we go:

AltoRoarkStrawman said:
You're saying standards are separated from how much we like something.

WhatYudinaSaid said:
You make those kind of assessments as what anime is "good" for you, but you are also perfectly allowed to enjoy anime that fail to meet any of those assessments whatsoever.

TranslationForTheNonReaders said:
Yudina said that people use standards to determine how much they like something.

You can't get out of it this time. You legitimately stated that I said something, when I have never made any such assertion.

You're really in no position to say you've "addressed" anything when your first summation basically tells everyone that you completely misunderstood the basic principles of what I wrote. And you wonder why I think you're illiterate.

Also:

Tautologies101 said:
I don't make up my standards. Their in my taste
Is literally one of the worst examples of pseudo-philosophizing, bullshit, and tautologies. You don't make up your standards? Standards are in your tastes? Dude, they're literally the same fucking thing. Your tastes, which you formulate over the course of your life, is the literal compilation of preferences and standards that you use to judge things. And once again, you're missing the point. I literally said that I don't care where your standards or tastes come from. I'm only pointing out that people obviously judge things by those standards, but that people are perfectly within their right to like things that are outside the scope of their standards.

That's because people like things that don't match up with their taste all the fucking time.

"Man, I usually hate white wine, but this particular brand of riesling really hit the spot!"
"Dude, the mecha genre really isn't my thing, but who knew that such a mainstream title like Gundam Wing would appeal to me?"
"Beethoven's a shit composer, but you know what? Pathetique was actually really good."

These are just your most normal examples. But there are tons of sophisticated and intelligent people who end up liking to watch Jersey Shore, Michael Bay Movies, and chick lit in their spare time, even if those people are extremely well read and generally have higher standards for "quality." Why? Who the fuck knows. People are weird and they're not robots with obvious brightlines.

Don't try to tell people that they're incapable of liking bad things. These kind of assertions you're making are so far from reality that it's laughable that you keep trying to blanket them all under the guise of "common sense," when the reality is precisely the opposite.

AltoRoark said:
PS, I love how you think I claim to have intellectual brilliance when I'm not the one calling my opponent dumb, clueless, etc. You seem more interested in dumping out edgy comments than actual debate. Your saying "that frying pan analogy is so stupid it doesn't warrant a response" says plenty about your maturity level.
Oh please. At this point, you've only demonstrated that you:

1. Enter into conversations with no context.
2. State arguments completely unrelated to what I say.
3. Make further strawmen by literally saying that I argue things that I'm not arguing.
4. Act like I don't know what analogies are, and then proceed to say you're responding to my posts without actually saying anything substantive.

Sorry dude, but your lack of literacy is appalling, and the fact you continue to respond to my posts with "I stand by what I said" when you continue to not understanding anything I previously wrote is fucking embarrassing.

TheBrainintheJar said:
I think that, in a civil discussion, you assume the person you talk with isn't the most intelligent person ever. They may miss something, or misunderstand. I'm not convinced by "I already repeated this!". If someone didn't understand something and keeps asking me questions, I'll keep asking them or referring them to previous answers.
When I literally point to paragraphs where I made my assertions, and you don't understand them, I get the impression you're not at the level where I can have a conversation with you without having to reclarify things over and over again.

And honestly, I don't care for civil discussion if I don't think you have anything to offer me. Again, your frying pan analogy was so logically atrocious that I only responded out of spite.
YudinaAug 26, 2016 10:24 AM
Aug 26, 2016 1:30 PM

May 2015
Yudina said:
AltoRoark said:

Today I learned:

1. Much like how guilty pleasures are used in food where people eat tons of unhealthy foods while feeling guilty that they're supposed to be eating more healthily, people are free to like anime even if they think it's bad or mediocre.
2. If we take out the "unhealthy/healthy" argument and just focus solely on the taste of food, there's still an argument to be made. There are standards of quality for what makes a good steak (and thus other foods such as desserts, salads, etc). People are often free to enjoy binge eating "bad foods" such as well done steaks or an oreo cookie, while simultaneously acknowledging that they're either not well made culinary dishes or straight up cheap products providing some lingering feeling of satiation.

And before you make it sound like I didn't say this in my previous post. Please sit the fuck down:

Besides, your argument was stupid to begin with. Your only response to this entire premise is that "desserts" exist.

You had no logic. No argument. No basis for arguing the fundamental premise and framework of the above. You just said "desserts."

Fucking desserts.

StupidPostIsStupid said:
But many desserts and such are considered good foods, even though they aren't good for you nutritionally.
The part about anime not having nutritional value is answered below, but dear god the stupidity of someone to basically argue against something with literally no logic except "well he didn't mention this type of food and thus must be absurd" is beyond my realm of understanding: how someone could be so logically inept as to say that they stand by their original statement of literally having said nothing of substance.

This cognitive dissonance is really just out of this world. I even talk about this "good" you're talking about.

AltoRoark said:

Bombshell: You're perfectly capable of liking what you perceive to be a bad song or piece. Good music isn't just something you feel; there are musical standards people develop themselves to judge what they like or do not like. I'll use classical music as an example. Go listen to Glenn Gould's rendition of Beethoven Op 14 no. 2. Most people who have read sheet music and have listened to Moonlight know that Gould's is iconoclastic. In some ways it's sacrosanct and a travesty, and by most known understandings of musical interpretation, Gould's rendition is "bad." I would likely concur with people who make those assessments.

But you know what? I still like it. I think it's iconoclastic for a good reason, and while I can't say that the interpretation is good by my own standards, there are intangible and indistinguishable things that make me like it.

Okay. Another example. Let's look at Demetori. They're a Japanese metal group that does metal remixes of Touhou music. By my standards of musicality, I would not call them good. Their pieces are usually trite and cliched, with the same predictable riffs and chords over and over again. There's little dynamic variation: it's almost always either really loud clashing sounds or soft acoustics with very little variation in between. By my standards, I'd say Demetori are pretty bad.

But I still enjoying listening to them. I don't "laugh" at how bad they are. I don't listen to the performance and start cackling, and then go on forums and scoff that Demetori is "so bad that it's good." I say that I like listening to them despite the fact that I don't think they produce good music.

Are you capable of understanding this basic premise? Or do I have to bring out more examples? You know what? I think you're stupid, so let's keep going.

You talk about fucking genres like horror. You start with this nugget of wisdom:

Fucking hell. It's so black and white with you. You're either "frightened" (therefore you must like it) or you either start laughing at it (it's so bad it's good). Literally, what the fuck am I reading? You are perfectly capable of liking a horror that's bad. There are people who genuinely like watching Michael Bay movies, even though they're bad, because of precisely what they are. What are Micheal Bay movies? They're bombastic summer blockbusters with huge explosions. Are they good? By my understanding, no. I think they're shallow flicks with cheap entertainment value.

But you know what? I've liked watching some of them. By all my standards, I would not call "The Rock" a good film. It's got a stupid plot, no real characters, and Sean Connery is hardly a saving grace in an otherwise bizarre sequence of events. But I didn't laugh at it. I didn't go "lol it's so bad it's good." I enjoyed watching The Rock, but I'd never call it a good film.

Code Geass. It's got a lot of labels on it. Science fiction. Is it a good science fiction story? I wouldn't say so, based on my experience with science fiction. Is it a good mecha? It doesn't really ring as a mecha anime, because it really only uses the robots as a means to an end as opposed to being a means in and of themselves. So by both those standards, Code Geass isn't a good representation of the exact genre that it represents. But I like Code Geass, for all its other story faults and lack of believable characters, I liked it. I'd say the same with Psycho Pass. It's shitty sci-fi, cribs from basically every notable cyberpunk work in existence, and Urobutcher is a fucking hack. But it's an easy and enjoyable watch.

What part of still being able to like things that are not up to your standards do you not understand? I'm really glad you started talking about shit like music, because this just tells me you actually have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

AltoRoark said:

Of course there's a measurement for quality. And you know what? I've already said it once in this thread. I've said that individuals establish the measurements and standards to determine what anime is good or bad for them.

Oh wait, you didn't read any my posts. No fucking wonder you still spew out this garbage.

The reason why it's a strawman is because I never even said anime doesn't have nutritional value, and yet you responded to me with that argument. Legit, the definition of a strawman is you:

1. Make up an argument your opponent never said and is completely irrelevant to his or her point.
2. Argue against it.

Like can you stop talking about nutrition and anime as if I had made any indication that I was talking about some objective scientific metric for measuring anime? I even said explicitly in my very first fucking post that the difference between anime and food is that there's "no scientific brightline."

I literally spelled it out for you, and you still continue to make asinine posts. Are you going to keep embarrassing yourself with how often you misread, misinterpret, and strawman my positions?

AltoRoark said:

AltoRoarkStrawman said:

WhatYudinaSaid said:
You make those kind of assessments as what anime is "good" for you, but you are also perfectly allowed to enjoy anime that fail to meet any of those assessments whatsoever.

Yudina said that people use standards to determine how much they like something.

You can't get out of it this time. You legitimately stated that I said something, when I have never made any such assertion.

You're really in no position to say you've "addressed" anything when your first summation basically tells everyone that you completely misunderstood the basic principles of what I wrote. And you wonder why I think you're illiterate.

Also:

Tautologies101 said:
Is literally one of the worst examples of pseudo-philosophizing, bullshit, and tautologies. You don't make up your standards? Standards are in your tastes? Dude, they're literally the same fucking thing. Your tastes, which you formulate over the course of your life, is the literal compilation of preferences and standards that you use to judge things. And once again, you're missing the point. I literally said that I don't care where your standards or tastes come from. I'm only pointing out that people obviously judge things by those standards, but that people are perfectly within their right to like things that are outside the scope of their standards.

That's because people like things that don't match up with their taste all the fucking time.

"Man, I usually hate white wine, but this particular brand of riesling really hit the spot!"
"Dude, the mecha genre really isn't my thing, but who knew that such a mainstream title like Gundam Wing would appeal to me?"
"Beethoven's a shit composer, but you know what? Pathetique was actually really good."

These are just your most normal examples. But there are tons of sophisticated and intelligent people who end up liking to watch Jersey Shore, Michael Bay Movies, and chick lit in their spare time, even if those people are extremely well read and generally have higher standards for "quality." Why? Who the fuck knows. People are weird and they're not robots with obvious brightlines.

Don't try to tell people that they're incapable of liking bad things. These kind of assertions you're making are so far from reality that it's laughable that you keep trying to blanket them all under the guise of "common sense," when the reality is precisely the opposite.

AltoRoark said:

3. Make further strawmen by literally saying that I argue things that I'm not arguing.
4. Act like I don't know what analogies are, and then proceed to say you're responding to my posts without actually saying anything substantive.

Sorry dude, but your lack of literacy is appalling, and the fact you continue to respond to my posts with "I stand by what I said" when you continue to not understanding anything I previously wrote is fucking embarrassing.

TheBrainintheJar said:
When I literally point to paragraphs where I made my assertions, and you don't understand them, I get the impression you're not at the level where I can have a conversation with you without having to reclarify things over and over again.

And honestly, I don't care for civil discussion if I don't think you have anything to offer me. Again, your frying pan analogy was so logically atrocious that I only responded out of spite.

If you're 'responding out of spite' then you're not making a good case for yourself. So it's not about discussing and learning - it's about calling things 'atrocious', acting shocked and calling other idiots. What does this get you?
Aug 26, 2016 1:32 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
No

Pointless to feel ashamed when I'm already at the point where I use anime discussion boards as a means of socializing

Aug 27, 2016 5:35 PM

Jun 2015
Yudina said:
AltoRoark said:

Today I learned:

Fucking desserts.

StupidPostIsStupid said:

AltoRoark said:

Fucking hell. It's so black and white with you. You're either "frightened" (therefore you must like it) or you either start laughing at it (it's so bad it's good). Literally, what the fuck am I reading?
You are perfectly capable of liking a horror that's bad. There are people who genuinely like watching Michael Bay movies, even though they're bad, because of precisely what they are. What are Micheal Bay movies? They're bombastic summer blockbusters with huge explosions. Are they good? By my understanding, no. I think they're shallow flicks with cheap entertainment value.

AltoRoark said:

Of course there's a measurement for quality. And you know what? I've already said it once in this thread.
I've said that individuals establish the measurements and standards to determine what anime is good or bad for them.

2. Argue against it.

AltoRoark said:

AltoRoarkStrawman said:

WhatYudinaSaid said:

Also:

Tautologies101 said:

AltoRoark said:

Don't mind what I did. Just crossed out the pointless bullshit so that the substance is easier to see.

So you're saying that even without considering nutrition, there's still a standard outside of liking something. What is that standard? How can oreos or steaks that taste good be "bad" outside of nutrition? Again, you aren't defining your terms or making a valid point.

"Desserts". Yeah that's what I said. What's the big deal? I was making a point about unheathy foods that are considered good. What part about "desserts" triggered you so badly?

With you're examples, you just point out their flaws and the fact that you like them. Your liking of something doesn't come out of thin air. Liking them means that they have something of worth in spite of their flaws.

Yes, standards being separate from how much we like something is in fact what you said.
Yudina said:
WhatYudinaSaid said:

The former says that people like things that don't meet their standards. The latter says that standards determine how much you like something. They don't say the same thing.

You say that we like some things that don't meet our standards. How does that work? How can I like something if my standards are not met?

One of the worst examples you could ever make. We're discussing individual works and products, not, genres, authors, composers, etc. I mean, if I dislike all mecha except Gundam Wing, does that mean I think Gundam Wing is bad?

Call me illiterate or stupid all you want. As far as I'm concerned, all the arguments I've made are perfectly valid. Your angst and drama does nothing to help the situation.
Aug 27, 2016 6:37 PM

Jan 2015
Nope. I like what I like and don't give a good twisty shit about what people think. I say it all the time, I'm like a freaking record.
Aug 27, 2016 6:49 PM

Mar 2016
Sailor Moon was my guilt pleasure in elementary school before I grew up and affirmed a show filled with women heroes is awesome no matter what others think.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Aug 28, 2016 5:55 AM

May 2016
AltoRoark said:
Don't mind what I did. Just crossed out the pointless bullshit so that the substance is easier to see.
That moment when you cross out all the instances of you not reading and not knowing what a strawman is. Are you just in denial? You literally straw manned my arguments and you expect me to treat your points having any substance? I really don't know how you can brush these things off unless you completely misunderstand the fact that a straw man literally means you never addressed my points in the first place.

If you straw manned me, there is no validity in your points. The cognitive dissonance is just out of this world, the amount of hoops you jump through in order to try to make a valid point.

AltoRoark said:
So you're saying that even without considering nutrition, there's still a standard outside of liking something. What is that standard? How can oreos or steaks that taste good be "bad" outside of nutrition? Again, you aren't defining your terms or making a valid point.
Are you retarded? Again, this entire conversation can be summed with "If I had simply read this guy's posts, I would have noticed that everything that I'm arguing has either been addressed or made irrelevant." See below:

WhatISaid said:
There are standards of quality for what makes a good steak (and thus other foods such as desserts, salads, etc). People are often free to enjoy binge eating "bad foods" such as well done steaks or an oreo cookie, while simultaneously acknowledging that they're either not well made culinary dishes or straight up cheap products providing some lingering feeling of satiation.
Before I go further, I just want to say that both you and this other shitlord are basically at fault for not knowing what the "defining your terms" means. I explicitly stated that we find as good are based on standards of quality. The reason this might seem vague is precisely because these standards can be either subjective or extremely broad. Sometimes these are pretty universal, other times these standards are personal. These are points I have made in the earliest of my points. Examples are not the same as defining my terms, which you are misconstruing. I can point to dozens of quotes where I time and time again stress the subjective nature of these standards and how we use them to come to a conclusion of "good."

Really, this is basic reading here. I'm not even kidding when I say that I have repeated myself over and over again, and you essentially keep misusing words and terminology to make fallacious points.

Anyway, I'm not here to give you a fucking lesson in culinary mastery, but it seems you really are that dense. If you really want me to explicate, people know that rare steaks are better than well done steaks, becauase rare steaks maintain the juices of the meat and the tenderness, both of which add to the flavor and texture of the food. People argue against this all the time, when every reputable chef of any standing will tell you that a rare steak is better. In fact, most self-respecting steakhouses, if not all, will be pissed off if you order a steak well done. If we want to talk about desserts, people are familiar with what good bakery is. Take an apple pie for instance. Apple pies have a particular standard for their quality. A non-mushy (and often very crispy) outer crust without over burnt edges. The bottom has to be solid to hold the contents of the pie and to show that you've cooked the pastry evenly. The inside requires a solid balance of whatever ingredients you throw in there (obv apple, cinnamon, whatever) or you throw off the taste profile of the dessert.

In case you haven't noticed, none of these qualities have anything to do with the "nutritional" value of the food. These are merely understood standards for what makes good food tasty. People don't always have to agree with them, and that's when we have abnormalities, but there are understood combinations, cooking techniques, and other standards through which we are usually accurate in determining when something will taste good to someone who's mouth is palatable to that particular brand of food. Again, these caveats are important because fundamentally, again, my original point stresses the fact that we, as individuals, create standards but they in and of themselves are flexible and ever changing, and we almost never perfectly follow these standards. Hence why guilty pleasures exist.

The same is true for numerous other desserts. Mixtures, flavors, these are all subjective in most cases but that doesn't preclude the fact that there are numerous standards out there for evaluating whether or not a particular culinary product is up to the standard. The reason why oreo cookies do not match up with a professionally cooked pie is because it not only lacks the same sort of artistry and set of skills necessary to make it, but it also lacks the same depth of flavor and only provides lingering satiation, which by most people's understanding of good foods, should not be the case.

AltoRoark said:
"Desserts". Yeah that's what I said. What's the big deal? I was making a point about unheathy foods that are considered good. What part about "desserts" triggered you so badly?
Dude. If you don't read my arguments, just tell me. I explicitly told you that your argument fundamentally is not an argument. It's literally a counter-example without any logical basis. Your point about unhealthy foods is a strawman, because I made a caveat showing that it's not important whether we're talking about healthy/unhealthy foods, the subjectivity of taste makes both points essentially the same. I, in no way shape or form, equivocated nutritional value with an anime having some sort of absolute value, yet that's basically what you suggest.

Also see above. Literally every alternative strain we go on suggests to me that you're just not really knowledgeable on any of these subjects, and require clarification of the most minute degrees to even have a seemingly normal conversation.

AltoRoark said:
With you're examples, you just point out their flaws and the fact that you like them. Your liking of something doesn't come out of thin air. Liking them means that they have something of worth in spite of their flaws.
This is so contradictory. So now you're saying "liking something means they have something of worth in spite of their flaws." Well, just in your last post, you said that you can enjoy something even though it's bad by laughing at it. So if an anime makes for good comedy, that must mean you like it, according to your own words.

But, that's not what you say in your original post. You say that liking something means you must enjoy it in the context of what it was trying to do.

So what is it, because you can't have it both ways. If you think liking something means you find something of worth, then you must like Another because it made you laugh, and we can both scientifically and philosophically prove that laughing is something worthwhile to you because it's both healthy and brings you utility and happiness. It means you must like a bad singer because of how badly she performed, and you laughed at him or her. But if you think liking something means that they must achieve their original purpose, then you can't like those things for precisely those same reasons.

I suspect you're probably going to say "well...........liking them means that they have something in worth in the context of what they were trying to do in spite of their flaws," which is both a needlessly complicated understanding of what "liking" means and also playing around semantically for no reason.

In other words, you have constructed a completely arbitrary bright line that serves no meaning, that is filled to the brim with internal contradictions.

AltoRoark said:
You say that we like some things that don't meet our standards. How does that work? How can I like something if my standards are not met?
Because as I have said multiple times, our standards are never perfectly aligned and is never fully in tuned with what you are going to like. There are going to be tons of things that don't normally meet your standards.

When you say "With you're examples, you just point out their flaws and the fact that you like them," you completely fail to understand the point. Again, you are missing nuance, which honestly I can't say I'm surprised. All of those examples showcase:

1. Fundamental flaws and misalignments with my standards of "quality"
2. Demonstrations that these shows/pieces are doing the exact opposite of what they are intended to do

Demetori is not good metal, but it is a metal band. Repetitious riffs and chords, no real artistry in their solos, lack of variety and dynamics. These are fundamental things in music that people use to showcase good music. By these metrics, Demetori is not good, but I still like listening to them. I'm not laughing at how cliche their chord progressions are, so it can't be "it's so bad it's good." What is it then?

Psycho Pass is not good cyberpunk. I think it's a poorly constructed dystopia and features strike after strike of things that disqualify it from being good science fiction. Needless references, shitty mystery, silly scientific conveniences, and so forth. Psycho Pass is supposed to be a cyberpunk crime anime. I'm not laughing at Psycho Pass whenever it makes a mistake, so by your definition, it's not "it's so bad it's good." I just think I like it despite the fact that it fails in most categories of what it's trying to do.

I don't know why the anime community is always so up in arms about topics like this, like it's a travesty when people admit to liking bad things.

AltoRoark said:
One of the worst examples you could ever make. We're discussing individual works and products, not, genres, authors, composers, etc. I mean, if I dislike all mecha except Gundam Wing, does that mean I think Gundam Wing is bad?
Holy shit, can you fucking read the paragraph before and after it to actually understand my point? I literally laid it out on the table for you. I think this just demonstrates that you continuously just nitpick arguments out of my posts without actually responding with substance.

Every single response to my posts have been:

1. Not nuanced and easily demonstrate that you did not read anything outside of maybe single lines
2. Either single sentences or a paragraph filled with repetitions and no new information
3. Arguments that either do not address my own or completely confuse my points when I have been completely consistent in applying my framework

See below:

ForSomeoneWhoDoesNotRead said:
This is literally clarifying that the above are normal examples of where people's usual standards are misaligned and something out of the norm surprises them. I then talk about precisely what we talked about before, which is how people can like things that are bad.

Plenty of people who have higher standards for their literature end up liking to read teen romance novels that you can get at the airpoprt in their spare time. By their standards, these are not well written, with poor development, characters, plot, and essentially exists for sensationalism, the occasionally erotic moment, and extravagance. People who actually read books will tell you that these are often base and unsophisticated and are not subject to being called "good" books. Even in instances where people are trying to find redeeming qualities in these sorts of fiction, they will often resort to saying that they are, by and large, crappy and lack substance.

But people can still like them, and people do, and they are perfectly allowed to do so. You will find plenty of people who will have high standards for what they read or watch, but will find themselves and just enjoy Jersey Shore or teen angst novels.

I don't understand what's wrong with saying "you're allowed to like bad things," unless you think that everything someone likes has to be good. I hope you understand that by definition "good" does not have the same definition as "like," nor do they follow the same set of underlying meanings. Liking something is about satiation and satisfaction. Something that's "good" can imply a multiple of other things from a moral, structural, aesthetic, and philosophical standpoint that can be completely separated from the concept of "liking" something. Something that's good does not have to satisfy or satiate you.

Therefore, people can demonstrate with great intellectual rigor why something like Ergo Proxy is a great model anime or why the Fifth Symphony is such a great demonstration of the beginning of the Romantic symphony. But they do not have to like it. By those very same metrics, people can show us why something like Code Geass does not measure up to the artistic ambitions or the animated superiority of other works, such as a Studio Ghibli film, but that does not mean that they can't like Code Geass more. People can show us why 4'33 is not really music, and in almost every understanding of music, is bad music precisely because it is not music at all, but they can like it for reasons completely unrelated to the quality and the standards that they set for what good music is.

Furthermore, any arguments against this are arguments of degree and not by kind, which I disagree with on a philosophical level. In other words, people are likely to respond to this and simply say "well they still thought Ergo Proxy was okay obviously because they can demonstrate all its good points, but it just isn't their favorite so they say they don't like it as much" or that "obviously they thought the Fifth Symphony was good because of this praise; it's just that they probably have other things they like more."

These are arguments of degrees, where you are essentially drawing a line in the sand for people, without them knowing, and assuming that they must on some degree like it precisely because they praise something. Not only does this ignore the actual opinions of the actor, of which he or she has previously stated, but it's an arbitrary distinction of degree that just isn't valid in the context of this discussion. My argument is an argument of kind, which I think is much more fundamentally consistent, which is that people can understand metrics of good or bad while simultaneously acknowledging whether they like or dislike something. There's no arbitrary degree that they must like something to a degree if they found something worthwhile. I think that just makes for poor argumentation and lousy rhetoric. At the end of the day, concepts of good or bad are divorced from people's satisfaction with things. Hence, why food is the best example, because that is one of the many areas where people constantly enjoy things that they find acceptable despite the food being not of good quality.

And again, it has to do with the evolution, flexibility, and caveats in our standards. There is no perfect standard and way to describe someone's taste unless they are truly the most boring individual alive.

AltoRoark said:
Call me illiterate or stupid all you want. As far as I'm concerned, all the arguments I've made are perfectly valid. Your angst and drama does nothing to help the situation.
Don't use words like "angst" and "drama" if you don't know what they mean. If you can demonstrate a single instance where I've acted with "angst" or that I've incited "drama," then I will apologize right then and there. But as it stands, I don't think you understand what either of those words mean.

If I had started acting depressed and sorry for myself that you were being retarded, then you'd have a point to make about me acting with angst.

If I had gone on someone's profile to shit talk you rather than doing it to your face, then maybe you'd have a point to make about drama.

How embarrassing it would be if the very person who talks about "drama" doesn't understand what it means. How even more embarrassing would it be, if once I had made an example of drama (going on someone's profile to shit talk someone else to start drama), that I catch you in the very act of doing precisely what it is you are accusing me of.

I would argue that a framed and nuanced argument, sprinkled with me accusing you of not reading and straw manning my arguments, which I have proven time and time again by your lack of nuance and ability to respond to the fundamental premises behind my arguments and instead, just the base off one liners that are used to set off a greater point, is way more valid than a post that's filled with purely counter factuals and no real arguments.

Anyway, I like how you use your last sentence to levy some sort of insult, then proceed to further demonstrate that you're incapable of using words in the English dictionary correctly. But keep trying. I'm sure you'll get their eventually.

TheBrainintheJar said:
If you're 'responding out of spite' then you're not making a good case for yourself. So it's not about discussing and learning - it's about calling things 'atrocious', acting shocked and calling other idiots. What does this get you?
I hope you realize that I've stated it already that I don't think I can learn anything from you.

I also hope you realize that you could have jumped in on any of my above arguments at any time rather than continuously asking me why I don't clarify things for you. I have clarified any of your questions numerous times even after you stopped asking me to clarify. I'm not going to repeat myself when I clearly have text above me telling someone why they don't understand anything I've written, precisely because they lack the capacity for argumentation and comprehension.

The fact that you do not have anything to say only confirms my suspicion that I don't think you have anything of substance to say. I'm sorry, but me saying you didn't read what I wrote is a perfectly acceptable response. I don't care how often you try to mock me over it, but your persistence in trying to get me to relent and spoonfeed your answers rather than simply jumping on any of the above posts which makes it clear where I stand on issues makes me question your ability to hold an enlightened conversation. You are free to prove me wrong, but at this point, if you are unaware of what I'm actually arguing, then I'm not really convinced you have anything to show for it.
YudinaAug 28, 2016 7:52 AM
Aug 28, 2016 7:29 AM

May 2015
Yudina said:
AltoRoark said:
That moment when you cross out all the instances of you not reading and not knowing what a strawman is. Are you just in denial? You literally straw manned my arguments and you expect me to treat your points having any substance? I really don't know how you can brush these things off unless you completely misunderstand the fact that a straw man literally means you never addressed my points in the first place.

If you straw manned me, there is no validity in your points. The cognitive dissonance is just out of this world, the amount of hoops you jump through in order to try to make a valid point.

AltoRoark said:
Are you retarded? Again, this entire conversation can be summed with "If I had simply read this guy's posts, I would have noticed that everything that I'm arguing has either been addressed or made irrelevant." See below:

WhatISaid said:
There are standards of quality for what makes a good steak (and thus other foods such as desserts, salads, etc). People are often free to enjoy binge eating "bad foods" such as well done steaks or an oreo cookie, while simultaneously acknowledging that they're either not well made culinary dishes or straight up cheap products providing some lingering feeling of satiation.
I'm not here to give you a fucking lesson in culinary mastery, but it seems you really are that dense. If you really want me to explicate, people know that rare steaks are better than well done steaks, becauase rare steaks maintain the juices of the meat and the tenderness, both of which add to the flavor and texture of the food. People argue against this all the time, when every reputable chef of any standing will tell you that a rare steak is better. In fact, most self-respecting steakhouses, if not all, will be pissed off if you order a steak well done. If we want to talk about desserts, people are familiar with what good bakery is. Take an apple pie for instance. Apple pies have a particular standard for their quality. A non-mushy (and often very crispy) outer crust without over burnt edges. The bottom has to be solid to hold the contents of the pie and to show that you've cooked the pastry evenly. The inside requires a solid balance of whatever ingredients you throw in there (obv apple, cinnamon, whatever) or you throw off the taste profile of the dessert.

In case you haven't noticed, none of these qualities have anything to do with the "nutritional" value of the food. These are merely understood standards for what makes good food tasty. People don't always have to agree with them, and that's when we have abnormalities, but there are understood combinations, cooking techniques, and other standards through which we are usually accurate in determining when something will taste good to someone who's mouth is palatable to that particular brand of food. Again, these caveats are important because fundamentally, again, my original point stresses the fact that we, as individuals, create standards but they in and of themselves are flexible and ever changing, and we almost never perfectly follow these standards. Hence why guilty pleasures exist.

The same is true for numerous other desserts. Mixtures, flavors, these are all subjective in most cases but that doesn't preclude the fact that there are numerous standards out there for evaluating whether or not a particular culinary product is up to the standard. The reason why oreo cookies do not match up with a professionally cooked pie is because it not only lacks the same sort of artistry and set of skills necessary to make it, but it also lacks the same depth of flavor and only provides lingering satiation, which by most people's understanding of good foods, should not be the case.

AltoRoark said:
Dude. If you don't read my arguments, just tell me. I explicitly told you that your argument fundamentally is not an argument. It's literally a counter-example without any logical basis. Your point about unhealthy foods is a strawman, because I made a caveat showing that it's not important whether we're talking about healthy/unhealthy foods, the subjectivity of taste makes both points essentially the same. I, in no way shape or form, equivocated nutritional value with an anime having some sort of absolute value, yet that's basically what you suggest.

Also see above. Literally every alternative strain we go on suggests to me that you're just not really knowledgeable on any of these subjects, and require clarification of the most minute degrees to even have a seemingly normal conversation.

AltoRoark said:
This is so contradictory. So now you're saying "liking something means they have something of worth in spite of their flaws." Well, just in your last post, you said that you can enjoy something even though it's bad by laughing at it. So if an anime makes for good comedy, that must mean you like it, according to your own words.

But, that's not what you say in your original post. You say that liking something means you must enjoy it in the context of what it was trying to do.

So what is it, because you can't have it both ways. If you think liking something means you find something of worth, then you must like Another because it made you laugh, and we can both scientifically and philosophically prove that laughing is something worthwhile to you because it's both healthy and brings you utility and happiness. It means you must like a bad singer because of how badly she performed, and you laughed at him or her. But if you think liking something means that they must achieve their original purpose, then you can't like those things for precisely those same reasons.

I suspect you're probably going to say "well...........liking them means that they have something in worth in the context of what they were trying to do in spite of their flaws," which is both a needlessly complicated understanding of what "liking" means and also playing around semantically for no reason.

In other words, you have constructed a completely arbitrary bright line that serves no meaning, that is filled to the brim with internal contradictions.

AltoRoark said:
Because as I have said multiple times, our standards are never perfectly aligned and is never fully in tuned with what you are going to like. There are going to be tons of things that don't normally meet your standards.

When you say "With you're examples, you just point out their flaws and the fact that you like them," you completely fail to understand the point. Again, you are missing nuance, which honestly I can't say I'm surprised. All of those examples showcase:

1. Fundamental flaws and misalignments with my standards of "quality"
2. Demonstrations that these shows/pieces are doing the exact opposite of what they are intended to do

Demetori is not good metal, but it is a metal band. Repetitious riffs and chords, no real artistry in their solos, lack of variety and dynamics. These are fundamental things in music that people use to showcase good music. By these metrics, Demetori is not good, but I still like listening to them. I'm not laughing at how cliche their chord progressions are, so it can't be "it's so bad it's good." What is it then?

Psycho Pass is not good cyberpunk. I think it's a poorly constructed dystopia and features strike after strike of things that disqualify it from being good science fiction. Needless references, shitty mystery, silly scientific conveniences, and so forth. Psycho Pass is supposed to be a cyberpunk crime anime. I'm not laughing at Psycho Pass whenever it makes a mistake, so by your definition, it's not "it's so bad it's good." I just think I like it despite the fact that it fails in most categories of what it's trying to do.

I don't know why the anime community is always so up in arms about topics like this, like it's a travesty when people admit to liking bad things.

AltoRoark said:
Holy shit, can you fucking read the paragraph before and after it to actually understand my point? I literally laid it out on the table for you. I think this just demonstrates that you continuously just nitpick arguments out of my posts without actually responding with substance.

Every single response to my posts have been:

1. Not nuanced and easily demonstrate that you did not read anything outside of maybe single lines
2. Either single sentences or a paragraph filled with repetitions and no new information
3. Arguments that either do not address my own or completely confuse my points when I have been completely consistent in applying my framework

See below:

ForSomeoneWhoDoesNotRead said:
This is literally clarifying that the above are normal examples of where people's usual standards are misaligned and something out of the norm surprises them. I then talk about precisely what we talked about before, which is how people can like things that are bad.

Plenty of people who have higher standards for their literature end up liking to read teen romance novels that you can get at the airpoprt in their spare time. By their standards, these are not well written, with poor development, characters, plot, and essentially exists for sensationalism, the occasionally erotic moment, and extravagance. People who actually read books will tell you that these are often base and unsophisticated and are not subject to being called "good" books. Even in instances where people are trying to find redeeming qualities in these sorts of fiction, they will often resort to saying that they are, by and large, crappy and lack substance.

But people can still like them, and people do, and they are perfectly allowed to do so. You will find plenty of people who will have high standards for what they read or watch, but will find themselves and just enjoy Jersey Shore or teen angst novels.

I don't understand what's wrong with saying "you're allowed to like bad things," unless you think that everything someone likes has to be good. I hope you understand that by definition "good" does not have the same definition as "like," nor do they follow the same set of underlying meanings. Liking something is about satiation and satisfaction. Something that's "good" can imply a multiple of other things from a moral, structural, aesthetic, and philosophical standpoint that can be completely separated from the concept of "liking" something. Something that's good does not have to satisfy or satiate you.

Therefore, people can demonstrate with great intellectual rigor why something like Ergo Proxy is a great model anime or why the Fifth Symphony is such a great demonstration of the beginning of the Romantic symphony. But they do not have to like it. By those very same metrics, people can show us why something like Code Geass does not measure up to the artistic ambitions or the animated superiority of other works, such as a Studio Ghibli film, but that does not mean that they can't like Code Geass more. People can show us why 4'33 is not really music, and in almost every understanding of music, is bad music precisely because it is not music at all, but they can like it for reasons completely unrelated to the quality and the standards that they set for what good music is.

Furthermore, any arguments against this are arguments of degree and not by kind, which I disagree with on a philosophical level. In other words, people are likely to respond to this and simply say "well they still thought Ergo Proxy was okay obviously because they can demonstrate all its good points, but it just isn't their favorite so they say they don't like it as much" or that "obviously they thought the Fifth Symphony was good because of this praise; it's just that they probably have other things they like more."

These are arguments of degrees, where you are essentially drawing a line in the sand for people, without them knowing, and assuming that they must on some degree like it precisely because they praise something. Not only does this ignore the actual opinions of the actor, of which he or she has previously stated, but it's an arbitrary distinction of degree that just isn't valid in the context of this discussion. My argument is an argument of kind, which I think is much more fundamentally consistent, which is that people can understand metrics of good or bad while simultaneously acknowledging whether they like or dislike something. There's no arbitrary degree that they must like something to a degree if they found something worthwhile. I think that just makes for poor argumentation and lousy rhetoric. At the end of the day, concepts of good or bad are divorced from people's satisfaction with things. Hence, why food is the best example, because that is one of the many areas where people constantly enjoy things that they find acceptable despite the food being not of good quality.

And again, it has to do with the evolution, flexibility, and caveats in our standards. There is no perfect standard and way to describe someone's taste unless they are truly the most boring individual alive.

AltoRoark said:
Don't use words like "angst" and "drama" if you don't know what they mean. If you can demonstrate a single instance where I've acted with "angst" or that I've incited "drama," then I will apologize right then and there. But as it stands, I don't think you understand what either of those words mean.

If I had started acting depressed and sorry for myself that you were being retarded, then you'd have a point to make about me acting with angst.

If I had gone on someone's profile to shit talk you rather than doing it to your face, then maybe you'd have a point to make about drama.

How embarrassing it would be if the very person who talks about "drama" doesn't understand what it means. How even more embarrassing would it be, if once I had made an example of drama (going on someone's profile to shit talk someone else to start drama), that I catch you in the very act of doing precisely what it is you are accusing me of.

I would argue that a framed and nuanced argument, sprinkled with me accusing you of not reading and straw manning my arguments, which I have proven time and time again by your lack of nuance and ability to respond to the fundamental premises behind my arguments and instead, just the base off one liners that are used to set off a greater point, is way more valid than a post that's filled with purely counter factuals and no real arguments.

Anyway, I like how you use your last sentence to levy some sort of insult, then proceed to further demonstrate that you're incapable of using words in the English dictionary correctly. But keep trying. I'm sure you'll get their eventually.

TheBrainintheJar said:
I hope you realize that I've stated it already that I don't think I can learn anything from you.

I also hope you realize that you could have jumped in on any of my above arguments at any time rather than continuously asking me why I don't clarify things for you. I have clarified any of your questions numerous times even after you stopped asking me to clarify. I'm not going to repeat myself when I clearly have text above me telling someone why they don't understand anything I've written, precisely because they lack the capacity for argumentation and comprehension.

The fact that you do not have anything to say only confirms my suspicion that I don't think you have anything of substance to say. I'm sorry, but me saying you didn't read what I wrote is a perfectly acceptable response. I don't care how often you try to mock me over it, but your persistence in trying to get me to relent and spoonfeed your answers rather than simply jumping on any of the above posts which makes it clear where I stand on issues makes me question your ability to hold an enlightened conversation. You are free to prove me wrong, but at this point, if you are unaware of what I'm actually arguing, then I'm not really convinced you have anything to show for it.

I don't mock you. I just find it very un-intellectual to assume you explained everything perfectly and the other side is at fault for not understanding. Oh well, whatever makes you feel good.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - Yesterday

41 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
2 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 11 hours ago

37 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
6 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - Today

45 by obicomeonboneme »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

40 by DigiCat »»
9 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

42 by LordNTR »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.