Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 15, 2016 3:17 AM
News Team
꙳•❅*°⋆❆.ೃ࿔*:・*❆

Apr 2010
In an event held on August 14 to commemorate the Blu-ray and DVD release of High☆Speed!: Free! Starting Days, it was announced that the Free! series will receive a new animated series. The type and length will be announced at a later time.

The Free! series is based on the High☆Speed! novel series written by Kouji Ohji and illustrated by Futoshi Nishiya. It has received various anime adaptations by Kyoto Animation, with the latest one being the prequel movie High☆Speed!: Free! Starting Days, which premiered on December 5, 2015.

The first season of the series is currently licensed in North America by Discotek Media, while the sequel is licensed by FUNimation. Anime Limited and Madman Entertainment have licensed the sequel for UK and Australian release, respectively. The series was also simulcast by FUNimation and Crunchyroll, with the latter licensing the dubbed version of the first season. The Blu-ray and DVD charted in last week's rankings, selling a total of 16,245 and 10,933 copies.

Source: Official Twitter

Free! (Shinsaku) on MAL
Sakana-sanAug 25, 2016 3:48 PM

Submit News × GuidelinesPart of U × Color Your Night × Limelight × Headline˙⊹܀⁺☁︎˚˙⊹⁺.˙⁺
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 15, 2016 3:29 AM

May 2008
Yesssssssssss.

But I feel like this will be a movie of some sort, like a recap (surprised they haven't done that yet, actually). At least that's my understanding from the tweet. Not that a 3rd season isn't out of the question given how popular it is, but since most of the cast have now graduated from high school I can't see what they'd do unless they a) focus on Nagisa, Rei and a bunch of new characters or b) focus on Haruka, Makoto and Rin (and Sousuke, maybe) at a more professional level.

Free!シリーズ映像企画進行中です!

"We're currently working on a new project in the Free! series!"
Aug 15, 2016 3:31 AM

Aug 2015
well, i haven't even watched the first free! yet, but still, good for fan i guess.
Will watch it soon too, been on my PTW for long.
Aug 15, 2016 3:33 AM

Aug 2008
A sequel and not spin off or prequel?
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 15, 2016 3:34 AM

Jan 2016
*sprinkles confetti*

I'm excited for this, the Free! series is always a pleasure to watch.
Aug 15, 2016 3:35 AM

Nov 2012
pleeeease be a college life sequel
Aug 15, 2016 3:56 AM

Nov 2011
My guess is that it might be a movie or something. Wouldn't mind a third season though.
Aug 15, 2016 4:14 AM
Jul 2015
hopefully it's college life or olympic :D
Aug 15, 2016 4:27 AM

May 2014
I wouldn't mind this at all...it felt like it was all ending as it was getting interesting...hopefully it's at least a 12 episode series of their college days and not a movie reboot or something.

I'd really wanna see more character focused progression which seemed to be where the anime was headed just before it ended. I can dream, I guess! XD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 15, 2016 4:36 AM

Feb 2012
I'm ok with it as long as its the continuation of the TV series, as I said on the movie topic I'm not that much of a fan of that prequel stuff.

So hopefully this new project brings out something fresh.
Aug 15, 2016 4:55 AM
Mar 2010
More Free! is always welcome.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Aug 15, 2016 4:58 AM
Jul 2018
Ok I can seriously die happily now. I will thank not only God but also Jesus. Oh and zayn.
Aug 15, 2016 5:18 AM

May 2013
As long as they don't cut out half of the characters again. I enjoyed Starting Days for the MakoHaru stuff, but it cut out so many characters that were fan favorites and that's, imo, why it didn't perform as strong. As long as all the guys are back and together, I will be content.

Just give me more MakoHaru domestic life and I will be pleased.
“Victor can’t be satisfied by anyone but me.”

Aug 15, 2016 5:48 AM

Aug 2014
I hope its going to be about the possible romance of the OTP:

RIN X GOU!!!

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aug 15, 2016 6:12 AM
Jul 2018
Nice! Definitely gonna watch it! :)
Aug 15, 2016 6:15 AM
Jul 2018
:D I'm very happy for the news, since I like the Free! series (the one of the few Kyoto Animation series I would actually give a shit about :x)
Aug 15, 2016 6:34 AM

Mar 2016
I haven't watched the movie yet but didn't expect them to make another thing related to Free since half of the main cast have graduated from High School. I'm excited for more Free xD
Aug 15, 2016 6:39 AM
Jul 2018
YAAAAY IM SO HAPPY XD
NEED TO WATCH THE MOVIE.
Aug 15, 2016 6:48 AM

Aug 2014
Ana said:
marx-chan said:
Literally the only thing I'm eager for.

What about RinGou?
Aug 15, 2016 7:03 AM

Mar 2015
really need to try this series already...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 15, 2016 7:23 AM
Jul 2018
Woohoo yes! Olympics or college life as a theme, I'll be be fine with either both of them.
Aug 15, 2016 7:49 AM

May 2016
marx-chan said:
As long as they don't cut out half of the characters again. I enjoyed Starting Days for the MakoHaru stuff, but it cut out so many characters that were fan favorites and that's, imo, why it didn't perform as strong. As long as all the guys are back and together, I will be content.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEES
More MakuHaru in my world, is all i want for life !!
Aug 15, 2016 7:57 AM

Feb 2013
YESSSSSSS!!!!!!! College life pleasepleaseplease!!!
Aug 15, 2016 8:07 AM

Apr 2014
fuj's excited for this. i knew kyoani was going to go back to this just because of finance. no reason not to gain more profits. sadly this means an entire season will be dedicated to them not making something moe.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting
TyrelAug 15, 2016 5:47 PM
Aug 15, 2016 8:10 AM

Aug 2013
I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS!! heard about this yesterday, and i wasn't really expecting it, but i'm really happy. can't wait to see the boys again aaaa
Aug 15, 2016 8:15 AM
Jul 2018
Well, it can't be worse than the novel or the movie, maybe if they focus more on Makoto and Haruka, which are the most bearable characters from the (main) cast maybe it won't be as cancerogenous bad as the previous seasons, I'll (probably) watch it but I don't have too much expectations for it.
Aug 15, 2016 8:27 AM
Jul 2018
Nice! I personally hope it's a third season that nicely balances between the graduated members and Rei/Nagisa/Gou/new characters.

But it'll probably be another movie. Hmmm can't wait to find out!
Aug 15, 2016 8:33 AM
Mar 2010
moodie said:
fujoshits excited for this. i knew kyoani was going to go back to this just because of finance. no reason not to gain more profits. sadly this means an entire season will be dedicated to them not making something moe.

First off, stop calling fujoshi 'fujoshit'.

Secondly, it hasn't even been confirmed if this is a new season but even if it IS a new season, so what? Is KyoAni only supposed to make moe anime for males? Free! is a kind of moe for females.

Besides, there are a plethora of moe anime every season so you don't have any reason to complain.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Aug 15, 2016 8:44 AM

Mar 2014
GIMME
ALL
DAT
SWEET
HOMODICKING
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 15, 2016 8:57 AM

Jun 2013
I'll definitely watch this. :3
Aug 15, 2016 9:01 AM

May 2013
Ana said:
marx-chan said:

If it's a project set in the future please let it be filled with them visiting eachother's apartments. Please KyoAni.

thepath said:
Horrible news. We don't need another gay anime

Please make female version of Free instead

Ya'll get that Keijo shit next season. When that flops hard then you'll see why they opted for more Free! instead of the standard ecchi fanfare for men lmao.
“Victor can’t be satisfied by anyone but me.”

Aug 15, 2016 9:07 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Dammit KyoAni, give us more news about Violet Evergarden instead.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Aug 15, 2016 9:13 AM

Jul 2010
Hoping for it to be a sequel.
Aug 15, 2016 9:43 AM

Jun 2008
I don't care what it's about i just need more Free!
Aug 15, 2016 9:46 AM

Apr 2014
marx-chan said:
Ana said:

If it's a project set in the future please let it be filled with them visiting eachother's apartments. Please KyoAni.

thepath said:
Horrible news. We don't need another gay anime

Please make female version of Free instead

Ya'll get that Keijo shit next season. When that flops hard then you'll see why they opted for more Free! instead of the standard ecchi fanfare for men lmao.
If we are using sales to determine whats good or not than OPM sucks compared to Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon.

Sorry some people dont enjoy anime targeted towards women? This is sad news considering that this is another cash grab rather than kyoani investing their time on effort into a great story like they used to do. We can play the sales game but u will lose everytime
Aug 15, 2016 10:07 AM

Feb 2014
Not surprised considering Free is basically KyoAni's Bakemonogatari.

That said, I'll be there for more moebuff swimming dudes when the time comes.
Aug 15, 2016 10:08 AM

Aug 2013
moodie said:
marx-chan said:

If we are using sales to determine whats good or not than OPM sucks compared to Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon.

Sorry some people dont enjoy anime targeted towards women? This is sad news considering that this is another cash grab rather than kyoani investing their time on effort into a great story like they used to do. We can play the sales game but u will lose everytime

first if you're talking about anythings other than animation then yes OPM suck
second yeap the whole monogatari series is cash grab that shaft wasting thier time and money on it than making great story like they used to
what the hell dude all i see from your post is someone talking without thinking

on topic i saw the news on twitter a while back i'm not fan of the series but i liked the movies quiet a bit
i hope for a reboot but i fin with anything KyoAni decide to do
monaliAug 15, 2016 10:13 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 15, 2016 10:13 AM

Dec 2012
Kyoani keeps sinking further and further.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Aug 15, 2016 10:14 AM

Apr 2014
monali said:
moodie said:

first if you're talking about anythings other than animation then yes OPM suck
second yeap the whole monogatari series is cash grab that shaft wasting thier time and money on it than making great story like they used to
what the hell dude all i see from your post is someone talking without thinking
You dont know the meaning of cash grab. Second of all Aniplex tells shaft what they adapt. Shaft gets minimal to no profit from the Gatari series. Did you see their financial sheet? No. Okay

Second of all Kyoani operates much differently than most studios. Free is being a cash grab because due to the lack of hits within the kyoani plant they need something that will be an easy hit.

Not gonna talk about gatari because its one of the rare cases in the industry where a light novel adaption sells that much and gets a near full adaption with over 20 books out.

Please stop generalizing anime and then trying to tell me I dont know what im talking about when you are throwing shit at the wall.
Aug 15, 2016 10:15 AM

Aug 2013
Infatuate said:

All studios are doing the same in the eyes of people who doesn't care about them
Aug 15, 2016 10:39 AM
Aug 2011
Hell yes! Another 10/10 incoming.

Infatuate said:

bad swimming pun?
Aug 15, 2016 11:27 AM

Aug 2014
This is the first time KyoAni stuck around a franchise for longer than two seasons and a movie, right? Free! must be doing pretty well for them.
Aug 15, 2016 11:29 AM

Apr 2011
Interesting..
Well, if they can still make money off of it, let them. I'll be looking forward to this & hoping that it'd be a sequel. (':
Aug 15, 2016 11:45 AM

Aug 2014
as you can see i am very pleased by this announcement.
Aug 15, 2016 11:52 AM

Jul 2015
monali said:
moodie said:
You dont know the meaning of cash grab. Second of all Aniplex tells shaft what they adapt. Shaft gets minimal to no profit from the Gatari series. Did you see their financial sheet? No. Okay

Second of all Kyoani operates much differently than most studios. Free is being a cash grab because due to the lack of hits within the kyoani plant they need something that will be an easy hit.

Not gonna talk about gatari because its one of the rare cases in the industry where a light novel adaption sells that much and gets a near full adaption with over 20 books out.

Please stop generalizing anime and then trying to tell me I dont know what im talking about when you are throwing shit at the wall.

Ohh come on did you just got me??
seriously don't play dump you know what i'm trying to achieve here and no gatari is a cash grab be what ever for shaft or production community as the way you put things
what??you want to talk about madoka concept movies,or what we can't, after all shaft is just a little studio who can't make any decision compared to the big KyoAni
and an other big NO for you because you're one of those people who just start talking non sense when he can across something doesn't interest them

I don't get the point of this whole argument. Each installment of Monogatari has provided something to the story, but what's the point of arguing over if a company is making money off of it or not? Should I start saying John Deere's ride on mowers are cash grabs? or Kellogg's Cheerios are cash grabs? The truth of it is, that SHAFT has Monogatari and they're continuing with it until either SHAFT themselves, Nisioisin or someone else involved puts a stop to it.

So bringing me to Free!, if it's going to make Kyoto Animation money in an industry which is already hurting for money, what's the problem? If you're not a fan a Free!, turn the other cheek, it's one anime out of tens of thousands. But really @moodie is right, KyoAni knows Free! will be a hit and make them money - much like Kellogg's knows Cheerios will make them money and everything else I mentioned before. Cash grabs are inevitable when a company needs money. Do you want them to make a show you really want on a low budget because they didn't have the money to make it good? Or would you rather them sneak in some nice cash before-hand to put to that project? It's business - it's not mommy - daddy pretend playtime. When a company needs money - THEY WILL MAKE A PRODUCT THAT MAKES THEM MONEY.
Aug 15, 2016 11:55 AM

Mar 2016
Snow said:
In an event held on August 14 to commemorate the Blu-ray and DVD release of High☆Speed!: Free! Starting Days, it was announced that the Free! series will receive new anime project. The type and length will be announced at a later time.

The Free! series is based on the High☆Speed! novel series written by Kouji Ohji and illustrated by Futoshi Nishiya. It has received various anime adaptations by Kyoto Animation, with the latest one being the prequel movie High☆Speed!: Free! Starting Days, which premiered on December 5, 2015.

The first season of the series is currently licensed in North America by Discotek Media, while the sequel is licensed by FUNimation. Anime Limited and Madman Entertainment have licensed the sequel for UK and Australian release, respectively. The series was also simulcast by FUNimation and Crunchyroll, with the latter licensing the dubbed version of the first season. The Blu-ray and DVD charted in last week's rankings, selling a total of 16,245 and 10,933 copies.

Source: Official Twitter

I CANNOT WAIT. TO SEE. SOUSUKE!!!

Aug 15, 2016 11:58 AM

Sep 2013
My guess is a high speed sequel movie.
Aug 15, 2016 12:28 PM
May 2015
Oho, my friend is going to be really excited once she hears this news. She's a really big fan of the Free franchise and you can figure out why. I guess Kyoto Animation found their next K-On?

I won't watch the Free franchise but I'm not going to complain since we don't get a lot of anime aimed towards women. Yay, equality.

Aug 15, 2016 12:49 PM

Aug 2014
Just one hug or one kiss between Rin x Gou and I will retire from Free happily.
Aug 15, 2016 12:59 PM

Oct 2015
What a load of garbage. I'm starting to understand why people hate KyoAni so much.
Probably gonna watch these shows just to rate them a solid 1.
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

70 by dodoxdo97 »»
3 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Today

3 by Maumuu »»
6 hours ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
9 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.