Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 14, 2016 4:26 AM
May 2015
I just really can't understand why, I really like this anime so far, can someone tell me why?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 14, 2016 4:37 AM

Jul 2015
becaus people have different opinions and it isnt fisnished yet

its kinda slow paced and boring at some points. also the characters dont act according to their age
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Aug 14, 2016 6:24 AM

May 2010
i really like it too, op. at least you're not alone lol
Aug 14, 2016 10:53 AM

Mar 2015
Mystic_Wolf said:
I really like this anime so far...

That is a most important. You don't need to write something else. It's like ask fans on concert: "Why you are came to concert?". People have their different reasons. Majority of them don't like this anime. You like it. End of story.
Aug 15, 2016 4:29 AM

Apr 2013
because compared to any sports anime, it sucks
because compared to any decent drama anime, it sucks
and that was before all the BS from the latest episode
Aug 16, 2016 2:16 AM

Apr 2009
Erebus25 said:

The average anime watcher thinks KEYAIDS when it comes to "decent drama", so...

The "problem" is that the characters (except the little brother maybe) act somewhat realistic and like human being, it's very down-to-earth drama.

Aug 16, 2016 3:45 AM

Apr 2013
Jin_uzuki said:
Erebus25 said:

The "problem" is that the characters (except the little brother maybe) act somewhat realistic and like human being, it's very down-to-earth drama.

arogancy, mothers, MC getting mad about his brother playing catch or anything else from that episode, this is the exact opposite of realistic
try watching Amaama to Inazuma, maybe you see the difference
Aug 16, 2016 4:17 AM

Apr 2009
Erebus25 said:
Jin_uzuki said:

arogancy, mothers, MC getting mad about his brother playing catch or anything else from that episode, this is the exact opposite of realistic

Maybe you should start thinking and analyzing why the MC is "getting mad about his brother playing catch" instead of taking everything as face value.

And there is hardly anything weird about the "Mothers", especially Gou's mom.

It seems the problem is that characters have... flaws?

Aug 16, 2016 12:26 PM

Apr 2013
catch is not an activity thats hard on the body, it would actually help his brother to get better, build up some stamina and a brother should be able to recognize that instead of acting like a jackass
Nothing weird about going to another kid and telling him to make your son quit baseball, yeah sure, top notch parenting, instead of pushing your kid to do sports, she wants him to quit, and the kid is 1st year of middle school, WTH should he do instead
or the other mother which has a son with talent and just nonchalantly tells him to quit
these arent flaws, thats just idiotic
and I havent even started on the latest episode

as I said, watch Amaama to Inazuma, look at character relationships, expressions and maybe you'll notice realism you mentioned
Erebus25Aug 16, 2016 12:38 PM
Aug 16, 2016 12:52 PM

Dec 2007
To each their own, I guess. I normally can't stand sports anime but this one, I actually like.
Aug 16, 2016 12:55 PM

Apr 2014
It's rated so low because there are so many better anime in every aspect out there. First of all, if you want a really good baseball anime that involves a similar pitcher-catcher relationship try out Diamond no Ace.

For a stronger focus on inter-personal relationships there is Cross Game.

And if you really want to watch something really good then go for One Outs. That anime is REALLY good as a sports anime.
TheXchidoriAug 20, 2016 5:52 AM
Aug 18, 2016 12:02 PM

Apr 2015
Jin_uzuki said:
Erebus25 said:

Characters who dont act accordingly to their age arent realistic
Aug 18, 2016 12:51 PM

Dec 2014
Erebus25 said:
catch is not an activity thats hard on the body, it would actually help his brother to get better, build up some stamina and a brother should be able to recognize that instead of acting like a jackass
Nothing weird about going to another kid and telling him to make your son quit baseball, yeah sure, top notch parenting, instead of pushing your kid to do sports, she wants him to quit, and the kid is 1st year of middle school, WTH should he do instead
or the other mother which has a son with talent and just nonchalantly tells him to quit

as I said, watch Amaama to Inazuma, look at character relationships, expressions and maybe you'll notice realism you mentioned

There is no realism in Amaama to Inazuma. It's just saccharine storytelling that intends to be cute and nothing else. It's a nice little thing you watch and then immediately forget about. It's a popcorn flick in anime form.
---
To answer the thread's question, because it's bad. The main character is a raging dickhead who has yet to become even remotely likable, the script is a flip-floppy mess, the story has no identity whatsoever, the supporting characters are one-note tropes, and there has yet to be even one well-directed scene. It's probably the most disappointing anime I've watched this season, given I expected Berserk to be terrible. It deserves the low rating.
Aug 18, 2016 1:16 PM

Jun 2013
Well im enjoying it and think its a good show, but it can be a hard show to stomach sometimes, especially with episode 5, it was a great epiosde but the bullying and abuse was awful.
Also, most of the characters are not likeable in the slightest and it can be a tad melodramatic.
Aug 18, 2016 1:47 PM

Jun 2014
I don't think it's even possible to answer this question. I mean, one could also ask why are some of the highest rated anime rated so high? You said it yourself, you really like the anime so far, and that's all that matters. Scores on this site, like I've said in other forums before, should be taken with a grain of salt. If you really like this anime, the low score shouldn't be that bothersome. It's the same the other way around, if you really dislike an anime that has a high rating, you shouldn't worry about it's score. At the end of the day, scores don't really mean much, go ahead and like or dislike whatever you want without worrying about them.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 18, 2016 2:25 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
If you think of this as a pure sports anime, then you have already lost.
Aug 18, 2016 3:23 PM

Apr 2009
Erebus25 said:

His brother couldn't run five feet without feeling pain. Anyway, that's not what I was trying to say. You are looking at it from a perspective of someone who is 1) outside of the situation and 2) has the time to analyze. Takumi is a 13 years old growing boy, he's just entering his teenagers years. He's not equipped with the emotional maturity to deal with it. He's pushing his brother away in attempt to "protect" both him and himself. His "I don't care" attitude is basically a self-dense mechanics he has put in place to protect his emotional vulnerability. It becomes obvious during the second (?) episode in which Gou confronting him about it is enough to make him cry.

Gou's mom is just a classic smothering mother. She attempted to reach her son via Takumi since he's the one that convinced him to NOT quit baseball.

The anime is far from perfect, this very last episode (6) for example definitely took a nosedive, characters-wise (I assume it's because they are skipping a lot of stuff, judging by what I've seen of the manga), but criticizing a 13 years old because he doesn't know how to deal with his sick brother or how to relate with the adults... eh.

I watched the first episode of Amaama to Inazuma. It's classical a whimsical slice of life anime. If you are into that, that's ok, but they are completely different shows doing completely different things.

This is more close to Oofuri than anything, although Oofuri has a strong focus on sport, you can see both authors having a strong understanding of psychology. (Mihashi was abused and made think he was weak which lead to massive insecurities and a relationship of co-dependence with Abe, Takumi is good, he knows is good and others know too, which lead him to develop his ego.)

Jin_uzukiAug 18, 2016 3:57 PM

Aug 19, 2016 4:41 AM

Apr 2016
It's sad that everything lower than 8 in average is considered to be bad or with some major flaws but I do get your point here.
Probably too realistic, for instance, people do not change fast, the development is not too fast as well, so it may make people feel bored at times.
Some of them may be also disappointed by the characterization of the MC but when you think he does things that a 12-13 years old boy would do.
My latest Hajime no Ippo AMV:
Aug 19, 2016 7:02 AM
Nov 2015
Tobe_Fly_High said:
I just really can't understand why, I really like this anime so far, can someone tell me why?
it is my favourite too. If people come in expecting a baseball version of knb or hq then they are going to be disappointed. But I'm digging the blend of sports and drama in this one.
Aug 19, 2016 8:48 AM

Nov 2013
Battery is less of a sports drama and more of a look at Japanese society and its supposed collectivism and inflexibility. Baseball is the lens through which all of this is viewed. I think it's a very interesting show, but because of its uncomfortable nature, I can see why people dislike it.
Aug 19, 2016 9:16 AM
Feb 2013
Erebus25 said:

I think you're being culturally insensitive in your reasoning, it's quite common in Asian countries or Asian families in general to focus on the academics. Middle school is basically preparing to enter a good high school, consequently increasing chance of getting into a good university.
Their parents all wish their child to succeed in the future, but they are projecting what they believe to be success: succeeding in academics= good job prospect. Things like sport and other co-curricular are either seen as distractions or stepping stones to get into a good school.
Aug 20, 2016 5:20 AM

Nov 2009
TheXchidori said:
It's rated so low because there are so many better anime in every aspect out there.
This.

And even if all that melodrama and really slow pace is put aside, the show's passed its half-way point, yet there's next to zero character development; I fail to see where it's even going, there's just hardly anything worthwhile that I can think of that can be reached in the remaining 5 episodes at this rate. All in all, this feels more like a casual random vignette than a wholesome complete story so far, and I don't hold my breath that this will change by the time this show's over.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Aug 25, 2016 11:33 AM
Mar 2016
I was wondering that too, but by going through this thread it seems that most people only wanted a typical sports anime, I love this anime, a lot, it's probably my favourite from this season. I think all aspects of it are great, especially the op & ed. and the art is great imo, but I guess it's just not what sells with the public, but the way i see it it's their problem for not liking it.
Aug 25, 2016 3:44 PM

Jul 2009
Probably because it's more drama than the baseball anime they were promised. It's not the greatest but it's definitely a new approach. I don't mind it that much.
Aug 25, 2016 8:14 PM

Oct 2011
Because everyone thinks the pacing is bad, the character are bad, and the drama is forced. Personally this is probably my favorite series this season.
Aug 26, 2016 5:51 AM

Mar 2015
Am I the only one who thinks that the voice actors are not portraying the right feeling that should be given? I mean espically the small boy he doesn't even raise his voice properly
Irritating such a waste of good art
Aug 26, 2016 10:54 AM

Feb 2014
lona_catee said:
Am I the only one who thinks that the voice actors are not portraying the right feeling that should be given? I mean espically the small boy he doesn't even raise his voice properly

Well the small boy is actually voiced by a small boy (which in itself is a rarity in anime) and voice acting well is hard. For acting you can help child actor to achieve more realistic characterisation through the setting/props but there's no way to do that in a recording studio. I'd say he's doing a really good job.

Regarding the other characters, I think reactions are just not as over-exaggerated like in other anime. Having just finished ep 2 I think the voice acting has been great (especially compared to some other SoL shows like Flying Witch).

OT: I've only watched 2 eps so far and it's definitely decent. Some reasons why it's not as popular as it could be:

- Sports anime about 'catching balls' and 'receiving' but there's no fujoshi fanservice. (I have nothing against a shiny fanservice/sweaty bishounen anime but if you came in expecting that you'd be disappointed.)

- More drama SoL than your usual overpowered sports show with plenty of comedy on top of the drama. (Same point as above, potential mismatch between expectation and reality.)

- No-name studio, and no English licensors as far as I'm aware. (Audience accessibility issues; not many people will watch it, and the people who do are likely to be the picky kind who care too much about studios, sakuga, directors etc. and be relatively stingy with ratings compared to the majority of MAL.)

- The seiyuu for the kids are all grown men with deep voices, so it's hard to mentally process that the characters are only just starting middle school. (This makes it harder for people to relate to the characters as 12/13 year olds, and so they unnecessarily pick apart normal pre-pubescent flaws as being unrealistic.)

- The characters definitely look older than their age; or at least the normal depictions of people their age in anime. (Same result as above.)

- Cultural disconnect re: the way the mothers act. (From the conversation above, I realised this might be an issue too. The mothers are acting in very natural, very realistic Asian mother ways compared to parents/mothers from other, more idealised shows. Their flawed behaviour might appear unrealistic/extreme to viewers without East Asian mothers.)

Edit: Okay, having seen ep 5, I can safely take out my first point. This anime will definitely get more popular/higher rated once more fujoshi/shippers step onboard...
LemonAug 27, 2016 6:14 AM
Aug 27, 2016 10:26 AM

Nov 2013
Guess the feels about this anime vary much.
Personally I love it, I love the change of settings, the pacing and even the drama, though they really don't act their age but more like adults, I still enjoy it. It's not the usual "aggressive" action-like sport anime.
I didn't expect anything from it but no way I'm dissapointed with it and in my opinion the voice actors do really a great job.

"Battery is less of a sports drama and more of a look at Japanese society and its supposed collectivism and inflexibility. Baseball is the lens through which all of this is viewed. I think it's a very interesting show, but because of its uncomfortable nature, I can see why people dislike it."

^ Exactly this.

Aug 27, 2016 6:48 PM

Mar 2015
Lemon said:
lona_catee said:

Well the small boy is actually voiced by a small boy (which in itself is a rarity in anime) and voice acting well is hard. For acting you can help child actor to achieve more realistic characterisation through the setting/props but there's no way to do that in a recording studio. I'd say he's doing a really good job.

Regarding the other characters, I think reactions are just not as over-exaggerated like in other anime. Having just finished ep 2 I think the voice acting has been great (especially compared to some other SoL shows like Flying Witch).

I have watched some other shows with child voice actors the best was barakamon naru felt so natural and there is also this season's imama something it sort of decent but not the best in terms of voice acting in my opinion but when you listen to seiha he just sounds as if he is reading out of a paper which is frustrating to hear
Aug 28, 2016 6:38 AM

Dec 2009
The show is lacking Loli's for Myanimelist Users.
Aug 28, 2016 11:03 AM

Feb 2014
lona_catee said:

I have watched some other shows with child voice actors the best was barakamon naru felt so natural and there is also this season's imama something it sort of decent but not the best in terms of voice acting in my opinion but when you listen to seiha he just sounds as if he is reading out of a paper which is frustrating to hear

Naru was exceptional (but far from what professional child actors can achieve outside of a recording box), I don't think it's realistic to expect every kid to be as good as Naru's VA. I just think it's a tad unfair to pick on Seiha specifically because he's a child after all and there are so many older VAs with much more acting experience who are just as bad at emoting or even worse.

The general trend of getting children to voice children is such a positive trend imo, so maybe I am being too protective/not critical enough but eh...
Aug 30, 2016 1:12 PM

Dec 2014
As others have mentioned, MAL doesn't like authenticity in character approach ESPECIALLY when it comes in the form of a personality that isn't likeable. Average viewer sees someone they don't like = show is bad. They only look for characters encumbered by external events rather than internal or inherent issues which Battery's MC is all about. Second reason is pacing - average viewer is used to anime's ridiculously fast pacing and lacks the attention span to probably read a decent novel (no an LN doesn't count).
Aug 31, 2016 8:33 AM
Jun 2013
TheXchidori said:
It's rated so low because there are so many better anime in every aspect out there. First of all, if you want a really good baseball anime that involves a similar pitcher-catcher relationship try out Diamond no Ace.

For a stronger focus on inter-personal relationships there is Cross Game.

And if you really want to watch something really good then go for One Outs. That anime is REALLY good as a sports anime.

You missed Major . The best among baseball centric shows with completeness .
Aug 31, 2016 9:03 PM

Jan 2015
I personally think this anime is rated WAY lower than I thought it would be and think it should be. Its a great baseball melodrama.
Sep 1, 2016 1:58 AM

Mar 2009
4 episodes left and not much has happened in this series at all. That's why.
Sep 5, 2016 12:18 PM
Jun 2014
Erebus25 said:
Jin_uzuki said:

I get mad at my brother for doing almost anything. So that's not strange at all imo.
Sep 7, 2016 12:07 AM

Jul 2013
I wouldn't let it bother you, if you try to understand MAL ratings you'll go insane. I've enjoyed this series a lot but I wonder how it will end with only 3 more episodes.
Sep 9, 2016 8:05 PM

Jun 2013
Erebus25 said:

THIS.

I love sports Anime. Baseball sports Anime is my favorite, honestly speaking. However, battery focuses too much on Takumi's stupid teenage angst and bad attitude and not enough on gameplay.

Anyway, there are A LOT of great Anime series with low ratings and bad/generic series with high ratings. MAL is not the best place to look for top-notch critique.
臭い-
Sep 10, 2016 3:48 AM

Apr 2014
fruits_punch95 said:

Characters who don't act accordingly to their age aren't realistic.

Exactly.

This is so over dramatized that it doesn't feel real..
Sep 11, 2016 10:40 PM
Aug 2014
Haters are just confused admirers. I don't care, the anime is perfect! <3
Sep 16, 2016 5:12 AM
Apr 2016
Inugirlz said:
Probably because it's more drama than the baseball anime they were promised. It's not the greatest but it's definitely a new approach. I don't mind it that much.

What did you mean by "new approach"? I'm not trying to rude, but if you meant baseball-themed drama anime are new then I going to rebuttal lol.
Sep 16, 2016 6:56 PM

Jul 2009
rs_yatagarasu said:
Inugirlz said:

What did you mean by "new approach"? I'm not trying to rude, but if you meant baseball-themed drama anime are new then I going to rebuttal lol.

well technically you're right, there is lots of drama in baseball anime (and sports anime in general) but I dunno Battery just has a different feel to it. Hence what i mean by "new approach"
Sep 17, 2016 12:56 PM

Jan 2012
I was going to watch this show but changed my mind after this thread.

Sep 17, 2016 1:43 PM

Mar 2014
My approach on why the rating is so low is all of the forced drama, you can argue that some other sports show certainly do have their own moments of drama but it's really out of control in Battery, there is drama over the tiniest things and to top it off little to no actual sport action.

Battery is the first show that this studio (Zero-G) have done so far and they tried taking a new approach with it that clearly hasn't worked according to common opinion, or maybe their lack of experience could be said as it's downfall too.
Sep 21, 2016 10:30 PM
Mar 2015
Because it is a baseball anime with no baseball
Sep 21, 2016 11:02 PM

Jul 2012
Because sports anime fans usually just want action and intense battles but this is more of a character building series.

I'm surprised bc it's similar to Oofuri but Oofuri's rating is much better.

edit- I just finished the Anime and
landofthekwt said:
Because it is a baseball anime with no baseball

this sums it up really well.

And it's not even angst/character development. It's badly done.
MayukaNov 6, 2016 2:18 PM
Jan 2, 2017 10:30 PM

Jul 2014
I'm a huge fan of Daiya no A so I was actually looking forward to this until I saw the low rating I was wondering why people found it bad and I've been hesitating whether I should watch it or not ever since. Then I find out from this thread that this anime is more drama/melodrama than sports... now IDK if I should watch it or not. lol
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Jan 3, 2017 2:52 AM

Sep 2016
2 episode and it's one of the most boring anime ive ever watch
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 3, 2017 3:21 AM

Oct 2016
If this show has a lower rating than Fune wo Amu, it's mostly because people knew not to look at a dictionary show, but mistakenly believed Battery would offer the kind of sports shounen entertainment they wanted. It's for people who want to experience the laid back pastime of rural brats in full, the total baseball experience. Character development and interaction wandered at a lazy pace. I thought it built a fantastic atmosphere, but you can't blame people for not wanting that. This was a niche show for a niche audience and was never going to satisfy the general public.
Mar 5, 2017 11:54 PM
Sep 2016
It's rated so low because it's bad like that, for most people.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Battery Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 18, 2016

39 by baahsu »»
Dec 27, 2022 6:11 AM

Poll: » Battery Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2016

53 by baahsu »»
Dec 27, 2022 5:36 AM

Poll: » Battery Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2016

81 by baahsu »»
Dec 26, 2022 5:31 PM

Poll: » Battery Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2016

90 by Xie_lim15 »»
Mar 5, 2022 7:02 AM

Poll: » Battery Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2016

121 by Cainael »»
Nov 1, 2021 3:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.