Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 13, 2016 8:18 AM
Jun 2013
What should I pick for my PG ?

Sociology or Public Administration . I am tired of studying about religion , society bla bla bla ........ about Public Administration I have no clue .

If you were in my place what would you chose ? After that I am planning either PHD or joining civil services ( in case I don't get a job in bank ) , so what will be better PHD in sociology or public administration ?
Aug 13, 2016 8:20 AM

Jun 2016
Well my eldest sister has a degree in Sociology and she's had years of trouble landing a job with it after she got said degree.

That's all I can offer as help anywho.
Aug 13, 2016 8:22 AM
Jun 2013
Erg_Orgy said:
Well my eldest sister has a degree in Sociology and she's had years of trouble landing a job with it after she got said degree.

Thanks . I was told that MA in sociology will decrease my JOB field where as Public administration will increase that . What kind of job was she looking for Public or Private ?
Aug 13, 2016 8:26 AM

Jun 2016
ashishkaull said:
Erg_Orgy said:

Thanks . I was told that MA in sociology will decrease my JOB field where as Public administration will increase that . What kind of job was she looking for Public or Private ?

Mainly public, she wouldn't even have had a chance with private due to lack of prior experience.She managed to get a public one a couple of months ago, before that she was working as a cashier for months which just shows how desperate she became after looking for a job for years with that degree.
Aug 13, 2016 8:34 AM
Jun 2013
Erg_Orgy said:
ashishkaull said:

Mainly public, she wouldn't even have had a chance with private due to lack of prior experience.She managed to get a public one a couple of months ago, before that she was working as a cashier for months which just shows how desperate she became after looking for a job for years with that degree.

.......... I am going through same events ^^ . I am more than happy to be a cashier/clerk in bank rather than applying for jobs that involve constant travelling , meeting number of high class people daily , 12+ hour work etc ......
Aug 13, 2016 8:52 AM
Apr 2011
I hear getting a decent job with a degree in sociology can be pretty tough, unless you are willing to move across states, which considering the pay may not be that worth it. I don't know much about public administration, but that already looks to have more opportunities in the future. I have a friend who did public policy, and he's doing pretty well, maybe that would share similar benefits.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

Aug 13, 2016 9:29 AM

Aug 2015
It's difficult for me to sit here on this end of a computer and make a recommendation that will possibly change your life, but if I must, I'd say that Public Administration may be the more useful of the two in procuring a job after graduation.
"More than the cherry blossoms,
Inviting a wind to blow them away,
I am wondering what to do,
With the remaining springtime."

-Asano Naganori
Aug 13, 2016 11:04 AM
Jun 2013
KEIKAN said:
It's difficult for me to sit here on this end of a computer and make a recommendation that will possibly change your life, but if I must, I'd say that Public Administration may be the more useful of the two in procuring a job after graduation.

Thanks . I am done with my graduation in sociology . Now I am applying for post graduation .

yogotah said:
I hear getting a decent job with a degree in sociology can be pretty tough, unless you are willing to move across states, which considering the pay may not be that worth it. I don't know much about public administration, but that already looks to have more opportunities in the future. I have a friend who did public policy, and he's doing pretty well, maybe that would share similar benefits.

Thanks ^^
Aug 13, 2016 4:55 PM

Sep 2012
How could you end up in such a horrible situation where you have only two awful options to choose from?
Aug 13, 2016 6:52 PM

Nov 2009
Don't Master in Sociology unless you want to spend 10+ years as a community college professor until you can just teach sociology 101 at a 4-year university.

No offense, but had to take a couple soc. classes for my associates a few years ago, and they were probably the least academic courses I have ever taken. It actually bothered me a lot that a text book commenting on current trends in culture in the current generation (book was published in 2013) predominantly used studies from the 80's. I would just hope that graduate courses in soc. would try and be slightly more academically honest.
Aug 13, 2016 7:31 PM

Jul 2012
Why not take some intro classes and pick classes that are similar to those things and make that conclusion after being exposed to some of those areas.

Pirating_Ninja said:
Don't Master in Sociology unless you want to spend 10+ years as a community college professor until you can just teach sociology 101 at a 4-year university.

A lot of people hire you just because you have a college degree. Along with some volunteer work and such with a sociology degree you could land a job that makes over 35k a year.
Aug 13, 2016 8:47 PM

Nov 2009
Coolspot said:
Why not take some intro classes and pick classes that are similar to those things and make that conclusion after being exposed to some of those areas.

Pirating_Ninja said:

A lot of people hire you just because you have a college degree. Along with some volunteer work and such with a sociology degree you could land a job that makes over 35k a year.
For a postgraduate degree, if you aren't making over ~$80,000 then their should really be no need to have gotten a masters / PhD / Doctorate / MD / etc. in the first place.

That annual salary is about the same amount that one year of grad school is . . . It would quite literally take you the greater half of your life to pay off the money spent on grad school if you salary is 35k.
Aug 13, 2016 8:49 PM

Sep 2014
I would choose a STEM field. everything else, I would only pick if you heart is really set on it. but you would have to know you wouldn't make much.
Aug 13, 2016 9:33 PM
Jun 2013
Fenryr19 said:
How could you end up in such a horrible situation where you have only two awful options to choose from?

This is the complete list ^^ of Masters in Arts offered by my Open University ^^

M.A (Distance Education)
M.A (Economics)
M.A (Education)
M.A (English)
M.A (Hindi)
M.A (History)
M.A (Philosophy)
M.A (Political Science)
M.A (Public Administration)
M.A (Public Policy)
M.A (Rural Development)
M.A (Sociology)
M.A (Sri Aurobindo Studies)
M.A (Tourism Management)
M.A in Adult Education
M.A in Apparel Production Management(IGNOU-Institute of Apparel Management (IAM) Collaboration)
M.A in Distance Education
M.A in Electronic Media Production and Management
M.A in Extension & Development Studies
M.A in Extension & Development Studies
M.A in Fashion Retail Management (IGNOU-Institute of Apparel Management (IAM) Collaboration)
M.A in Gandhi and Peace Studies
M.A in Gender and Development Studies
M.A in Journalism and Mass Communication
M.A in Labour and Development
M.A in Participatory Development (MAPD) (IGNOU in collaboration with PRIA)
M.A in Psychology
M.A in Social Anthropology
M.A in Translation Studies

Coolspot said:

Pirating_Ninja said:

Pirating_Ninja said:
Coolspot said:

For a postgraduate degree, if you aren't making over ~$80,000 then their should really be no need to have gotten a masters / PhD / Doctorate / MD / etc. in the first place.

That annual salary is about the same amount that one year of grad school is . . . It would quite literally take you the greater half of your life to pay off the money spent on grad school if you salary is 35k.

Hold on there both of you . We don't earn that much here .
My Bro is in Industry and he is there on the basis of MBA and he hardly earns 12,000 USD a year = 8,00,000 INR .
KaulDevaAug 13, 2016 9:36 PM
Aug 13, 2016 9:49 PM

Nov 2009
ashishkaull said:

My Bro is in Industry and he is there on the basis of MBA and he hardly earns 12,000 USD a year = 8,00,000 INR .
Costs are relative, could I also assume that grad school where you live does not cost anywhere between 30,000-40,000 a year? Point being, the career you intend to pursue after going through graduate school should out earn a job that could be acquired through joining the work force after high school . . . Although perhaps getting a masters wherever you live (India? Googled INR) is different?
Aug 13, 2016 9:55 PM
Jun 2013
Pirating_Ninja said:
ashishkaull said:

Costs are relative, could I also assume that grad school where you live does not cost anywhere between 30,000-40,000 a year?

Depends on the schools , Colleges and Universities .

My MA course will cost me 9000 INR for 2 years = $ 134
My Schools costed less than $ 700 a year ( In state board schools it costed $ 180 a year ) .

Now if I go to top private colleges and Universities , then costs for 4 year course jumps to $ 10,000+ ( $ 2,500+ every year )
Aug 13, 2016 10:06 PM

Jul 2012
ashishkaull said:
Pirating_Ninja said:
Costs are relative, could I also assume that grad school where you live does not cost anywhere between 30,000-40,000 a year?

My Schools costed less than $ 700 a year ( In state board schools it costed $ 180 a year ) .

Now if I go to top private colleges and Universities , then costs for 4 year course jumps to $ 10,000+ ( $ 2,500+ every year )

So looks like regardless of what you choose you will be making about the same amount of money?
Aug 13, 2016 10:09 PM

Nov 2009
ashishkaull said:
Pirating_Ninja said:

So yeah, in America it costs $30,000 a year at most public universities and $40,000+ at most private universities, and a good salary after exiting is around $70,000-$80,000 although that is highly dependent on where you live. (this is actually the low end, kind of lowballing "good salaries", honestly you should be shooting for around $120,000+ after grad school, for example the average starting salary at the occupation I intend to pursue after grad school is $87,000, and even then I'll be in debt for awhile)

It's hard for me to guess what that would be a decent salary in India, but basically I would say that if you aren't making like 1.5 that of someone who only completed their undergrad, it might not be worth it . . . Then again, universities are overpriced in America, that doesn't seem to be the case in India.
Aug 13, 2016 10:30 PM
Jun 2013
Pirating_Ninja said:
ashishkaull said:

So yeah, in America it costs $30,000 a year at most public universities and $40,000+ at most private universities, and a good salary after exiting is around $70,000-$80,000 although that is highly dependent on where you live. (this is actually the low end, kind of lowballing "good salaries", honestly you should be shooting for around $120,000+ after grad school, for example the average starting salary at the occupation I intend to pursue after grad school is $87,000, and even then I'll be in debt for awhile)

It's hard for me to guess what that would be a decent salary in India, but basically I would say that if you aren't making like 1.5 that of someone who only completed their undergrad, it might not be worth it . . . Then again, universities are overpriced in America, that doesn't seem to be the case in India.

In my state 30,000 INR is a good salary but in cities like Mumbai its pretty low .
In my state , A new appointee in Bank ( Clerk ) earns 16,000 INR a month , 35,000 INR in case of PO in Bank .
You have to crack the bank paper in order to get a job in bank ^^

Coolspot said:
ashishkaull said:

So looks like regardless of what you choose you will be making about the same amount of money?

Each sector and posts have a pay scale .

A person who spent Lakh's of Rupees ( Million = 10 lakh ) will not prefer such low key jobs . There is no link or relationship between School and College fees and Work salary . There are many cases of Village students whose parents have hand to mouth earning and no facilities , cracked the highest civil services and Engineering papers and got jobs that were paying them 50,000 INR a month .
KaulDevaAug 13, 2016 10:39 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - 5 hours ago

11 by Noboru »»
2 minutes ago

» do you like the fandom of your fave musical artists ??

ame - Apr 17

20 by Malkshake »»
26 minutes ago

» Planning a Spain Trip

redlockhigh - Apr 8

23 by Malkshake »»
32 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - 1 hour ago

7 by rohan121 »»
33 minutes ago

» Why should we have sympathy for drug addicts? ( 1 2 )

HarryRambod22 - Feb 10, 2022

72 by KitsuFrost »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.