Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Mar 18, 2017 8:12 PM

Sep 2012
They ruined the fight against the Spiral King, but the last fight was EVEN MORE AWESOME than in the show.
Dec 8, 2017 8:28 AM

Dec 2017
Best final fight in anime. Period. No contest

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

Dec 8, 2017 9:03 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
This film ended in a great point, for me this first half is one of the best!!!
May 26, 2018 3:12 PM

Nov 2014
Is this a recap of the Anti-piral arc in the series?
Jun 13, 2019 5:06 PM

Feb 2012
THAT WAS SO MANLY Funny story, me and my weeb friends were kicked out of the placed we were watching it at so I did the chaddiest thing and commandeer the sofa from my flatmates who weren't weebs.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 9, 2019 11:52 AM

Mar 2016
This whole movie was just an excuse just to show Yoko's boobs in their full glory. But to not make it obvious they also showed Nia's. Just kidding... Don't hurt me.

On the movie; while not as tight as the previous movie it was enjoyable nonetheless. I think the new ending is close to the origina. There are new changes that I appreciated a lot but the way they cut the political stuff was meh. I wasn't a big fan of it in the anime but seeing it being cut here just shows how important it was.

6.75/10

Also, Libera Me From Hell and the opening song are phenomenal...
azertz99Jul 10, 2019 7:58 AM
May 26, 2021 2:06 PM
Jul 2018
Overall liked this less than the show but good God that last fight. Moving past the pure awesomeness of super TTGL the last fistfight between Simon and the antispiral was just perfectly done.
8/10
Aug 19, 2021 2:26 PM
Nov 2019
HOLY FUCKING SHIT, THAT WAS FUCKING EPIC.

That fistfight- I was shaking- ... I think I know how it feels to orgasm from pure epicness now...
Nov 18, 2021 5:54 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I had mixed feelings WHILE watching this. Sure it has to cut nearly half the scenes to be able to fit the story into a movie, but I found myself longing for those moments that we had from the original series. Like Kamina's death in the first movie, I think they should've spend more time surrounding Simon's arrest. Also they cut the after credits scenes where it shows our characters when they're much older, instead focusing entirely on Simon and giving him an extra scene, which made me sad. Seeing old and jaded Rossiu was something that got me in the feels the first time I watched this.

HOWEVER, I immediately went to the original series to do some comparisons, to see roughly what scenes they left out and how much the final battle and the ending changed. And first thing I noticed is holy shit, the visuals in many scenes definitely got a massive upgrade. It looks so much better. A lot of it is still the same of course, but where they did change the visuals, I didn't realize it looked so good. Visuals = check. This movie is far more polished in that department.

So in the first movie, they sped-run through most of the journey when travelling to face off the spiral king. I was perfectly fine with that except I think Rossiu's part should've have a bit more time to flesh out since he's a pretty integral character. But I understand that's difficult to do since his story was pretty long if I remember. In this movie, I remember us spending more downtime in Kamina City, seeing how all our characters settled down and enjoying normal life. I would've love to see more of that here again, but again, we have limited time. I'd like to focus more on the final battle.

One thing I wanna say right away is that the moment where they defeat the anti-spiral in this movie is the shining moment for this film and is what puts it above the main series. You know, the scene where each mecha is ejecting out of the other until Simon in his little lagann drills a hole through the anti-spiral. But in the series the anti-spiral is just sending out tentacles at him as he continuously ejects. Here, however, it's a massive DRILL FACE-OFF and it's awesome. The pink and green just shine so brightly. And when he does finally come face to face with the anti-spiral, they have a fist fight in dead silence, compared to the series where he kind of just drills the hole right away. Here Simon has an extra moment that makes it all the more worth it, "the drill is my soul" or something like that. It works, and makes it better. Each of our side characters getting into their own mechs and facing off the anti-spiral was a nice touch as well.

If I kept comparing I could probably ramble on, but I've done that enough. I'll just mention one last thing that caught my attention, after the wedding, when Nia disappears, Simon is asked a question, but is in silence for a moment before answering, his back to us, we are a bit unsure of his emotional state. But then he reveals he's alright, he's going to keep moving on. That's THIS movie, however in the series when asked the question, he answers right away and we can kind of see his face, there's no pause, no silent moment for dramatic effect. For me just a small thing like this made the ending just a level above the original ending. There's probably a couple more things, but I just skimmed through the ending of the series so I definitely missed some stuff.

Overall, if we could put THIS ending and THESE visuals into the MAIN series where we get the FULL story of all our characters, that'd be perfect. Oh and add back the scenes where it shows our old characters in the after credits scenes.

Still going to give it an 8/10 like the main series, it has a more solid ending with better visuals, but I still miss all the little moments from the main series that they had to leave out.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jan 1, 2022 7:55 AM

Aug 2020
Wow. The series finale was already awesome but the movie one was made much better! I am already full. Thanks for the treat.

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Jul 29, 2023 10:36 PM
Nov 2021
Walahi Subhanallah Mashallah Alhamdulillah Very gud Keep u[p good work
Apr 2, 9:55 AM

Oct 2008
Reply to Yup
HOLY SHIT THIS MOVIE WAS THE BEST MOVIE IN ALL OF ANIME EXISTENCE I WAS LIKE WTF THIS IS AWESOME THROUGH THE WHOLE WAY
@Yup enjoy the trip down memory lane
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

» Does [spoiler] die in this movie?

RedSkittleFox - Mar 30, 2019

3 by ChiefGamer »»
Jan 20, 9:16 AM

» How do I watch this?

kelcollin - Jun 22, 2021

2 by gmadhava »»
Jul 22, 2021 3:13 AM

» Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Lagann-Hen worth watching?

Zaldun - Jun 11, 2016

6 by Barad5 »»
Nov 1, 2020 10:51 AM

» Huge spoiler in the synopsis

Yngvi - Apr 14, 2016

2 by who_dat_ninja »»
Nov 8, 2016 3:18 PM

» Added scenes (also, spoilers in the synopsis)

dextronaut - Mar 12, 2013

1 by EratiK »»
Oct 5, 2013 9:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.