Forum Settings
Forums

Why do some people watch anime at 2x speed or faster?

Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Post New Reply
Apr 24, 2017 8:29 AM

I'd never do that. Nor would I skip any parts no matter what, in case I miss out on anything. Sure, if you wanna do that, then go ahead. As long as I'm not watching it with you.

Apr 24, 2017 5:42 PM

also it makes it harder to recc anime in the future because i'd wager its pretty hard to actually ejoy and follow the show and even dialogue sped up so the best you could ever give something is like a 6 or maybe 7
if someone rated an anime they sped up an 8 or above they have to be crazy because there's no way to keep up with anything (without some mental disorder that helps with concentration or something)

Apr 24, 2017 10:21 PM
If you're watching a long shonen with filler scenes in a non-filler arc/dbz-like pacing in a moment you don't particularly care about, sure, it's another way of skipping filler like you would skip filler arcs

Otherwise definitely not

Apr 24, 2017 11:51 PM

If you speed up anime then why the fuck do you even watch it? 3.5x is absurd, you wont have any idea what is going on. 1.5x wouldnt be so bad but you are still ruining everything that was put into anime. In the end you are just making watching anime worse than you think it is by speeding it up.
Modified by ShadowCode, Apr 24, 2017 11:55 PM

Apr 24, 2017 11:59 PM
SoL Enthusiast

I have never watched a show sped up as it seems one would miss the intricacies of the show.
:)

Apr 25, 2017 12:01 AM
Review Moderator
Sorairo Days

I only heard about this "speeding" fad from MAL, and I would never understand why people do this when they can just skip whole parts instead if they're that impatient.

Apr 25, 2017 1:06 AM
Xianziiii said:
wow what a boring response... please don't compare speeding anime and lasagna. I said up there that your logic is not always how everybody sees it. I lost interest when your logic went that low.

Xianziiii said:
I just watched a little bit of a 3.5x speed anime and it was impossible to keep up with, is this how you watch all your anime? I bet you speed up your hentai too.. feel sick now.

You so readily dismissed another poster's lasagne analogy (bit ironic given that when you want people to discuss nicely), yet it applies to almost anything most people enjoy in life. How many people finish sex / change position three times faster just so that they can start a new round sooner / try more positions? You might find some, and you might find some people who enjoy shoving food down their throat so they can eat more, but there is a fair chance it isn't the norm.

Pointing this out is not dismissing how other people may have their own logic. It's pretty much a case of wanting to savour something vs wanting to consume as much as possible within a time frame. No one is saying it's wrong, but it's clear what most people do.

The irony I suppose is that after dismissing that analogy, you felt sick watching anime at 3.5x. Which is probably what would happen to most people if they tried to shove lasagne down their throat 3.5x faster than usual. The analogy holds up pretty well. Oh and that comment about another user speeding up hentai almost sounds like you have a problem with it.

Apr 25, 2017 4:32 AM

jeikobu11 said:
Xianziiii said:

I said I want a clean discussion about the topic.

THE MOMENT YOU MADE THIS TOPIC you should of expected this. Speeding up is perfectly normal and better than watching normal. The end result is the same, just finished alot earlier. Stop this clean no swearing shit, it's annoying.
You can try to talk yourself into believing that, but none of that is true. It's not normal (the majority of viewers doesn't do it), it's most likely not better and the end result is a different one because you'll miss out on a lot of small details, cinematography etc. You won't get the same feeling it's supposed to give you because at this speed you literally won't have time to digest and think about what just happened.

edit: I'm not against watching fillers or finsihing boring anime this way, but I think it's ridiculous to watch every anime at 3.5x speed.

Apr 25, 2017 4:43 AM
hiabara said:
jeikobu11 said:

THE MOMENT YOU MADE THIS TOPIC you should of expected this. Speeding up is perfectly normal and better than watching normal. The end result is the same, just finished alot earlier. Stop this clean no swearing shit, it's annoying.
You can try to talk yourself into believing that, but none of that is true. It's not normal (the majority of viewers doesn't do it), it's most likely not better and the end result is a different one because you'll miss out on a lot of small details, cinematography etc. You won't get the same feeling it's supposed to give you because at this speed you literally won't have time to digest and think about what just happened.

edit: I'm not against watching fillers or finsihing boring anime this way, but I think it's ridiculous to watch every anime at 3.5x speed.

I don't agree with you, I watched Orange in normal speed before but then there was a scene where nothing was happening for over 15 seconds... so so slow. I could of been over that in 4 seconds.

Apr 25, 2017 5:04 AM

if you want to become a world class lasagna eater you should take it slowly.. first just a stack of 2 lasagnas, then 3, then 3.5, etc
you still have a ways to go until you can shove multiple stacks of 5 lasagna in paralel

Apr 25, 2017 11:15 AM

Allow me to paraphrase a fragment of Zerozaki-sensei, as I felt it relevant here:

Apr 25, 2017 11:22 AM

Different strokes for different folks. If they enjoy it, it's whatever.

You can't really make sound criticisms of the shows you watch when you do that, though. You're not watching the same thing.

Apr 26, 2017 5:57 AM

Think about it

If someone can watch a series in a normal speed and can fully understand it, then probably, someone can watch it in 3.5x speed as the normal speed and understand it too. I've never done it since the pantsu shots will be so fast, I cannot examine it so closely...

Apr 27, 2017 12:41 PM

tohsakaa said:
Because the whole fucking point in cinematography is to create certain tones etc based upon pacing and other elements which are completely destroyed by altering these factors.
Ericonator said:
If you're just going to speed it up I don't see the point in watching it in the first place.

^ These.

You're defeating the purpose of the studios efforts to create certain cinematic frames that would otherwise be too altered to express the same meaning they did prior to speeding passed it.

But if it works for the individual, so be it. Just weird haha. QwQ

Apr 27, 2017 1:10 PM

Absolutely no for me, I only do this if there is an anime that makes me bored but I don't want to put it on my dropped list because it's near to end so I just speed it up.
"Look... It's a gigantic killing spirit and you just a woman with an invicible Holy Excalibur. Just sit down and watch me, a man who don't know any martial arts and can't use magic will beat it."

Apr 27, 2017 1:19 PM
Thorfinn

I watch naruto at 2x and 1.5x speed at boring arcs.
(Every arc without sasuke or a good fight)
Why? Because it makes some arc more bearable. If I were to watch every episode of naruto without the speed I would drop it at episode 1
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. Vinland Saga is epic. If you disagree you have bad taste.

Apr 27, 2017 2:04 PM

Sorry, but I'm an anime fan. If you can't enjoy anime as it was meant to, then you're not truly enjoying anime at all.

I can understand if you speed up a certain show because you already gave up on it and you want to finish it quickly so you can give it a low score and move on. But if that's your default way of watching anime in general, then you can't be a anime fan.
Modified by HyperL, Apr 27, 2017 2:19 PM
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from it.

Apr 27, 2017 2:28 PM
Maori Madness

3.5x is for the super anime watcher. Although I am quite conscious about the time that I take to watch episodes. I wouldn't consider speeding up episodes to compensate.

Apr 27, 2017 2:45 PM

If you honestly have to speed up your anime, then maybe save yourself the excruciating process and, y'know, stop?

Why even? You clearly don't enjoy it. To lengthen your list?

Cause if so, seek treatment.

Apr 27, 2017 8:56 PM
Loli King~

Anybody who speeds up anime has serious issues and I look down on them as inferior fans and don't take their completed list seriously and have zero interest in discussing this medium with them.

Apr 27, 2017 9:06 PM
Midnaholic

The fact some people speed up anime when they watch is just...

Do your thing I guess, but I personally think it's stupid as all hell and I'm not gonna take your opinion on the anime seriously.

Apr 27, 2017 9:20 PM

To be honest, I've never thought of speeding an anime, I like to enjoy every aspect of it completely. If some people like to do it for whatever reason, well be guest, but personally, if you do, you're not fully enjoying it.

Apr 27, 2017 10:23 PM

I won't acknowledge people who watch more than 400 anime and brag about it but in fact watches it in 3.5x....then voice actors should not voice act at all if you just going watch it at 3.5x

Apr 27, 2017 10:27 PM
~ PR Cheerio ~

Nope. I think the only thing that does its ruining the experience and probably missing context. If you mean moving to the next minute or so by accident. If someone doesn't like something or feels like it goes nowhere its better off dropping the show if anything I guess.

Apr 27, 2017 10:29 PM

(this is the very same issue of the thread you mentioned I guess...)

3.5X is amazing as long as you're having fun. I couldn't do it. I would find another hobbie.
It might be convenient if you're hating the show ... But if I'm hating the show I just drop it or slow down the frequence (1 per week maybe). And, I just dropped 1 anime.

(Greetings from Portugal!)

Apr 28, 2017 6:21 AM

Considering I watch subs and I'm a semi-slow reader...that would not be convenient for me. Also I feel like any character with a decently high voice would be ruined for me.

Apr 28, 2017 6:29 AM

I can imagine it kind of working if you watch dubbed anime, but why bother. If your time is too valuable to spend 20 minutes watching and understanding a show, why spend 10 watching and not understanding it

Apr 28, 2017 9:08 AM
Forum Moderator
Scary Person

Duplicate threads have been merged.

Jun 27, 2017 8:00 PM

Oh man, I can answer that. Growing older, you have less and less time to just spend all day watching anime. Also, if you're like me and be all over the place with the amount of anime you would want to watch, a 100+ episode show seems like you will never finish it at normal speed. I did it twice.

One with naruto (original). God, I'm sure the speed of this show was purposely slowed down just to fill up more space. "Heeeeeyyy, Saaaasuuuuke, IIII wiiiilll beeeaaaatt yooooooou neeeeeeeeexxxt tiiiiiiime". I swear, I watched it at 1.2 speed and it felt like it was the normal speed. Show was so boring I even sped it up at 1.5 and even didn't finish the show.

The other is for Hunter x Hunter, and I'm very happy to have done this, because it helped me go through this anime. I could end up reaching where it was up to its airing time (90-100+ episodes, I think). I returned to normal speed when I was catching up, and watched the rest at normal. If you know HxH, it starts okay, and just gets better and better the more it goes, so it was perfect for me.

Be sure that there's a limit to how much you can speed up. 1.3 is the maximum tolerable and still enjoyable speed for me when I could focus. 1.5x is kind of extreme as I had to pay so much attention it was more exhausting than anything else.

EDIT:

fristiac said:
You guys forget a very important point....It's part of Haruhi's endless 8. Then x4 is completely justified.

Omg, thanks for reminding me this! I actually sped up that sequence at the third episode I believe. I busted my record there! xD

Modified by MasterHoover, Jun 27, 2017 8:17 PM

Jun 28, 2017 4:41 AM
wtf my reliplies got deleted. who deleted them?

Jun 29, 2017 12:39 AM

Some people care way too much about MAL stats.

Jun 29, 2017 12:42 AM

Usually, when I watched an anime that I couldn't care less anymore.

Not gonna drop it, so why not finish it with much faster speed.

Jun 29, 2017 2:08 AM

There was someone talking in the forums a little while ago saying he wanted to have watched the highest amount of anime on MAL and he was watching it at 12x or something stupid.

But i guess some people do it because they enjoy wasting their time so they wont drop shows even if they dont like them so they speed them up to get through it quicker. I'd love to have the luxury of having so much spare time that I could do that...

Jul 25, 2017 11:22 AM
Figured I might as well put in my 2 cents since I do watch anime at 2x or 4x (and most other forms of videos sped up). My reasons are mainly to save time. I consciously do not watch too much quality shows I prefer brain candy harem shows such as High School DxD, or childish shows like the new Yu Gi Oh! iterations. So unless there is a particular scene I have trouble understanding I can watch the show at higher speeds with little to no loss in comprehension of the plot. It is not much of a dick measuring or completion thing for me since I neither discuss anime with friends and I do enjoy the shows I watch.

Perhaps it's cause I do not care much for the visuals or the visual cues of the show, preferring to just read the subs, or afk and listen to the dub while doing something else. This is not to say I don't watch anime at regular speeds. If I enjoy the show enough I would watch it at normal speed from the opening song to ending song(normally skip the songs for my brain candy shows). For instance FMA, Log Horizon, Code Geass. Even some brain candy shows like Outbreak Company I watched at normal speeds since I enjoyed the story enough.

In summary, I watch at higher speeds to save time. I justify it due to the shows I watch not being great intellectual anime but those that give me a cheap laugh. I do not do this as a dick measuring or completionist mentality. I do watch certain anime at normal speeds as long as I find them sufficiently enjoyable.

For context, I am a speed reader(relative to some people) I believe I top out at 700 words per min but I did that test a while ago and I have probably become slower. And my general rule for sped up videos is 4x for sub and 2x for dub.

Jul 25, 2017 11:39 AM
Wait, people actually do that?

Won't it be difficult keeping your eyes on the subtitles?

I am confused with this habit of theirs.

Jul 25, 2017 3:02 PM
Romandy said:

Won't it be difficult keeping your eyes on the subtitles?

A normal 23 min anime when speeded up and the unnecessary stuff removed (plot summaries, songs, commercials) can be watched in about 4-6 mins at 4x speed. So while it can get tiring on the eyes if done alot you dont have to be concentrating for too long for a single episode. Being a somewhat fast reader also helps.

Aug 17, 2017 9:48 PM

i've only done it once. wanted to finish this anime i had to drop a long time ago due to no more subs released. it was finally released, and i realized, i hated the anime now. so meh. near the end i did the x2 thing. but really, i never do it. especially to series i have yet to watch. but i already read the manga to it as well, so i just wanted to get it over with lol.
"My feelings are like the approaching summer clouds - growing bigger and accumulating, sometimes bringing rain."

Aug 17, 2017 9:53 PM

Because numbers.

Because longer completed list.

Because bigger e-penis.

Aug 17, 2017 9:58 PM

Though i'd never do that myself, I actually understand the reasoning. I have so many shows on hold that are seriously there just because the pacing was too slow for me and I am simply waiting until the magical day where I suddenly feel like watching it. I'd think if you felt you HAD to watch a show at 2x the speed, it probably wouldn't be worth it. I'd rather on-hold or even drop it at that point.

Dec 22, 2018 10:49 PM
People actually do that? Wow, makes me wonder why they even watch anime

Dec 28, 2018 10:45 AM
I dont watch anime at 2x speed but i tend to use the skip 5 seconds thing a lot, if the current scene bores me i just skip it 5 seconds at a time, i still understand what happens but i dont see it fully.

Dec 30, 2018 1:35 AM

I watch all animes on at least 1.5x speed, most commonly 2x speed. I'll slow down only when there are certain fast action scenes to appreciate at slower speeds.

I do not mind watching animes at higher speed provided I can understand the context, which helped to save me a lot of time too. For example, I sped through Great Teacher Onizuka at 3x speed while still grasping and enjoying the entire story.
K-On! is love, K-On!! is life.

Jul 3, 2019 8:06 AM

The highest ive ever sped up is to 1.5x only when the dragon ball fights took for ever but I still love the show

Jul 3, 2019 8:14 AM

I only fast-forward in scenes with no dialogues and some moments that would make me cringe. Sometimes if I don't like the anime I'm watching and I don't want to drop it.
I don't like fruit cake.

Jul 3, 2019 8:31 AM

I didn't know people did this either. Sounds awful. O.o

Sounds gay. I'm in!

I f*ucking hate optimism.

Jul 3, 2019 8:35 AM

Geekonka said:
I think the more anime someone has watched, to the point where it looks like they are excluding other mediums, the less I would respect their opinion on whether a show is good or not. I don’t want to know whether something is good anime, I want to know whether it’s a good show.

Yes and that's when they start developing shit taste.

Jul 3, 2019 8:44 AM

I finished endless eight with 8x speed

Jul 3, 2019 8:48 AM

ThatShiny_Hex said:
I finished endless eight with 8x speed
I dont think watching one and skipping the other 7 is whats up for debate here xD

ot:
depends really, if the show is really slow and has lots and lots of panning shots I might bump it up to 1.5
I mean really if there's nothing to show and the runtime is just streched to an extreme by staying on the same frame forever I'd rather speed it up than skip.
rip.

Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]