Forum Settings
Forums

Why do some people watch anime at 2x speed or faster?

Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Post New Reply
Aug 14, 2016 3:59 AM

well i prefer full skip than 2x/ 4x speed its more faster lol
atleast for me i do this not for sake of completion but for curious n when travelling watch anime n almost run out batery >_<
also i always rewatch more episode than i thought well depend on mood n time 3-5 time per episode withoutskip

Aug 14, 2016 4:05 AM

I have no idea why they do that.
I have a friend who does these things, but with the addition of watching the last episode of the series FIRST. He even complains about not understanding the show's story.
I mean, what the heck?! Stop skipping and watch the damn episode already!

Aug 14, 2016 4:12 AM

I'd rather drop than watch at x2 speed.

Aug 14, 2016 5:25 PM
~Vampire Lord~

Some people like to finish anime's even if it's crappy which is why they watch it at a faster pace. I know it would be better to drop the anime but sometimes they just want to finish it since they already started it.

BeLive is currently looking for affiliates!! Earn a 20% commission for each product sold. Great right? Sign up here today! https://belivestore.com/pages/affiliate-program

Aug 14, 2016 5:37 PM

If I'll do that, I would just drop the anime. It's time consuming to watch the anime just to say they finished the anime even though they didn't understand anything.
"This (anime) industry is weird" - Chitose Karasuma, Gi(a)rlish Number

I hope someday someone in an anime would say, "The (anime) viewers are weird."

Aug 14, 2016 6:07 PM

well shit
if I employed this tactic I could easily un-drop like 50+ series and actually complete them

Aug 14, 2016 7:33 PM

Cause they are super human and it looks like slow motion at normal speed.

Aug 14, 2016 7:48 PM

Who the fuck does that?

Jesus....can you imagine the female voices?

They're already insanely high pitched.....it's gonna be the equivalent to watching the chipmunks!

Aug 14, 2016 7:56 PM

If you are watching on twice the speed just "to finish it" you probably should drop it instead.

Aug 14, 2016 7:57 PM

I frown upon this practice. If I'm going to watch something shitty, I want to watch it in all of its atrociousness, because speeding past will only preserve the feeling of dispassionate loathing and dispassionate loathing is the worst (Read: most boring) feeling to try to write a review for. But when you have to sit through it in its entirety at regular speed...THAT'S how you build rage, and rage makes for a much better negative review.

This glorious signature made by @Mayumi leads to my
superior reviews! Most Recent: Mirai of the Future!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Having exquisite animation does not a good anime make.
There is nothing wrong with liking slice-of-life/iyashikei.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There is always top-shelf anime.
You should be watching both blue jacket Lupin III series."

Aug 14, 2016 8:00 PM
They do it until they see something that makes them excited.

Aug 14, 2016 8:05 PM

I know someone who does something which amounts to something similar to this due to time constraints on anime watching. He told me he starts each episode at normal speed, then slowly accelerates so it's up to 2x about a quarter of the way through. That way, he's used to the speed and doesn't have to struggle to cope with it, and also can watch a lot more anime in the same time frame. I think this is actually a good method if someone's pressed for time but still wants to watch as much anime as possible while retaining understanding of the plot, characters, etc.

I do agree with you on the pointlessness of watching an anime through just so you can say you didn't drop it.
"Shocking truth!" ~Chaika Trabant
"How unpleasant." ~Kuriyama Mirai
"Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there." ~Rem
"You don't die for your friends; you live for them." ~Misaka Mikoto
"Now I believe. In my own strength... and in the one who gave me that strength." ~Roze
"I'll be the guard dog of all your fever dreams."
Signature and forum avatar courtesy of @SenpieX

Aug 14, 2016 9:59 PM

never heard of anyone doing anything like that but that is pretty ridiculous just to watch an entire series without even caring for it
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead

Aug 14, 2016 11:39 PM

My mind is blown. This is the first time I have ever heard of this. Wow. Well I guess this will change how I view people's lists and some of their opinions. Wow.

This is almost like finding out about the steroid era in baseball about 15 years ago. This has been going on all this time??

Aug 14, 2016 11:53 PM

If you play it at 2x speed, that doesn't mean you're watching, it just means that you're getting through it. It's actually stupid, if you don't like something then drop it (just look at how many dropped I have) why pretend to finish it just to increase your MAL days watched so you can brag to people about your anime experience but no one gives a single shit about it anyways. Slowing it down to .75 is a good option tho if you're watching the monogatari series or tatami Galaxy

Aug 15, 2016 12:21 AM

My reasons:
1. Completionist mindset (dont want to waste bandwidth downloading stuff, no drop policy)
2. I started with 1.3x then 1.7x speed which is fine IMO (many anime have long duration of nothing happen) but crank to 2.4x now
3. For series that I didnt like to focus 100%, usually I multitask which is more worst experience IMO, so watching faster with 100% concentration is "better"
4. For series I really like I rewatch by multitask at normal speed, this time usually i tried to focus on dialogue/audio more (I dont bother to put how many times I rewatch to the list)
5. it is better for me than "skip all the filler" since i will able to watch the content even if it sometimes good / bad
6. last time I use skip 5 seconds button which is bad since you might miss some audio
7. Save time a lot
8. I admit i might not fully enjoyed alot of "wow" moment for fast action scene (one punch man + FSN UBW) but I could just rewatch it if i wanted to
9. Now it became my standard, normal speed is too slow now LOL

Doesnt matter what elitist nor any random internet person think about me or my list, I consume the content the way I liked it.
If people find my opinions is illegitimate, then it doesnt matter to me.

I would like to ask you how read normal manga then?
Voice in your head every dialogue?
Speed reading through once then read it again normally?
(I can add in to ask if you consume the content legally or not but it is not my job to judge what other people do on internet)

Then I want to ask, we as normal human can we remember 100% of watch you watch / read.
Exactly, you enjoy it for the moment, doesnt matter fast or normal speed,

*More details on my profile, you doesnt have to listen to chipmunk voice but you must be fast subtitle reader to enjoy this way.

**I shouldnt bother to post in MAL anymore since my points dont matter. oh well, back to lurking
Watching style atm:

1. Mindless Gaming + Anime streaming with dual monitor
2. Focused + Anime binged watching with speed up
3. Couch / Bed Anime watching with large TV
4. Relaxing in virtual cinema with VR.

Aug 15, 2016 12:54 AM
Wasting 10 minutes of my life watching Re:Zero is not as bad as wasting 20.

Aug 15, 2016 1:17 AM

I don't know but I just tried it and I came to two conclusions:
-Some parts are hilarious this way
-The OP of Amanchu is infinitely better at 2.0x speed

Not gonna watch anything sped up nonetheless.

Aug 15, 2016 1:40 AM

there was a time when I accidentally watched an anime episode in 2x speed but I noticed at the end because everything was moving fast. didn't know that there were people who watch anime episodes in 2x speed...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Aug 15, 2016 2:17 AM

Imagine watching Teekyu like that.

Aug 15, 2016 2:33 AM

TheDiabolicEsper said:
katiak_Ula said:
Wow <_< can't believe it ppl did that way. for the sake of completion? Lol
... ikr >_>...... jeez damm ellites
I wonder what will when those ppl 2x/4x hentai....

On behalf of their penis

la critique de l'intention pure

Aug 15, 2016 2:57 AM
there are people who do this ? really ?

Aug 15, 2016 3:03 AM

Zelkiiro said:
... If I'm going to watch something shitty, I want to watch it in all of its atrociousness ... when you have to sit through it in its entirety at regular speed...THAT'S how you build rage, and rage makes for a much better negative review.
Are you a masochist

OT: I've known ppl who watch it at a faster speed so that they can consume more anime within the same amount of time.

How can I smile when I am filled with so much sorrow?
It is natural -- you need to smile to your sorrow because you are more than your sorrow. (Thích Nhแบฅt Hแบกnh)

Aug 15, 2016 3:17 AM
Personally I mostly do this when the character animation is really bad and doesn't let any feelings through. I enjoy watching anime and I want to see good characters and animation, so if there are parts where the characters keep being emotional and talk A LOT but they're literal still drawings that just move their mouth with no emotion, it becomes more bearable to watch them at 1.5x speed. 2x is excessive because you can't even read the subtitles, but 1.5x allows you to get through those parts smoothly and comfortably read what they're saying. I mean, if VA and character acting suck but it's an anime I love for other aspects, then I'll 100% do it to heighten my enjoyment. It's not that deep!

Aug 15, 2016 3:27 AM

opheliakc said:
I want to do that but sites doesn't have that feature. Does anyone knows a site that has fast forwarding?

I'm watching in gogoanime, it had a player with increased speed option. You can download through torrent and watch it in fast pace.
"This (anime) industry is weird" - Chitose Karasuma, Gi(a)rlish Number

I hope someday someone in an anime would say, "The (anime) viewers are weird."

Aug 15, 2016 3:28 AM
JustALEX said:
Who the fuck does that?

Jesus....can you imagine the female voices?

They're already insanely high pitched.....it's gonna be the equivalent to watching the chipmunks!

And that´s also a funny part when you´re re-watching an anime at 2x speed, just like other scenes.

I have some anime scenes re-watched in different speeds like 0.25x or 3x of the original just to see how funny it would be with some scenes, but never watched a new episode or so in a higher or lower speed

Aug 15, 2016 3:34 AM

opheliakc said:
I want to do that but sites doesn't have that feature. Does anyone knows a site that has fast forwarding?
ah-ah, we meet again, my fellow emilie fan; i've been kinda waiting for someone to ask this xd

kissanime uses html5 player which supports speeding up by default, but few players actually have implemented this feature (youtube is one of the few)

one day, i looked up for kissanime addons and found this gem, which also adds speeding up hotkeys for the main player:
https://gist.github.com/crapier/91926a6353207f4524cc

if you're not familiar with greasemonkey addons,
step 1. install greasemonkey (i think this works only on mozilla firefox? i tried it on google chrome with tampermonkey and it didn't work, could be my fault tho.. also not sure on phone, probably not)
step 2. add the script from the github link (just pressing Raw button should work? if not, copy the text, go to the addons menu for Greasemonkey, create a new script and paste it there)

if everything is done right, you should now be able to change speed in increments of 0.25 with the - and + buttons, and a bunch of other kissanime features you can edit by pressing Home button

but lately ive seen you can right click and see a "Play Speed" button on the right click menu of some HTML5 players, including gogoanime which SkyWing0 mentions.. but i think it's also mozilla only, and only has 4 speeds in increments of 0.5 http://i.imgur.com/Zip9Z3w.jpg
Modified by romagia, Aug 15, 2016 3:38 AM

Aug 15, 2016 3:53 AM

katiak_Ula said:
TheDiabolicEsper said:
... ikr >_>...... jeez damm ellites
I wonder what will when those ppl 2x/4x hentai....

On behalf of their penis
( อก° อœส– อก°) oh and we can rewind when we need to as well and create that perfect loop ( อก° อœส– อก°) ( อก° อœส– อก°) ( อก° อœส– อก°)

Aug 15, 2016 4:23 AM

I always speed things up between 1.2 and 1.6 depending on how everyone talks and if it's extremely action heavy I put it at normal speed

I don't do it to complete things faster it just feels more enjoyable for some reason

Aug 15, 2016 4:38 AM

I've honestly never heard of such an instance, but to each their own.

Aug 15, 2016 4:39 AM

I NEED TO SHOW OFF MY WEEB LIST.

but srsly, idk. maybe preference? just maybe.

Aug 15, 2016 5:50 AM
Kagami said:
Though, what's the point in doing something as stupid as that? I can't find any logical argument in doing something that dumb and pointless.
Call me crazy, but I do watch anime up to 5x speed especially way before I discovered MAL.

Here are the reasons why:
1. Decreases my boredom on certain shows. (For boring shows only)
2. I'm impatient to know what will happen next. (For interesting shows only)
3. Sometimes, I don't like the slow pace. I want to watch in my own pace, which is faster pace. (For slow-paced shows)

But I have limitations on this behavior.
1. When the speed is pretty fast, I frequently pause to read the subs.
2. My watching speed is not constant, but has minimum speed. There was a time where my minimum speed is 2x but when there's no speaking, I speed it up to 4x until there's speaking again.

Those who says that those wants to watch the anime with such crazy speeds are crazy are assuming too much. When I only care about the story, I throw everything else, even the feel of the setting and the music. But I don't skip seconds because I may miss important information.

Now, I now seldom watch shows in increased speed because I wanna enjoy the atmosphere, setting, the music, and the pacing, how horrible it may be. If I do watch at increased speed, my maximum watching speed is 1.5x. My favorite speed for slow-paced shows is around 1.25x.

If I watched Re:Zero before my MAL days, I may watch it 3x especially on SoL episodes. If my computer can play my copy of Non Non Biyori more than 1x, it would surely speed it up to 3x.

I don't know how to do logical statements but I'll try. I will show my "logic" on speeding up watching the show:
1. I prefer maximum enjoyment level on anime.
2. If my maximum enjoyment level in watching a show at x1 units of time is equal to watching a show at x2 units of time, I would prefer to watch a show a x2 units of time if x2<x1. (I would rather want to end the show faster, either because of my impatience or because it seems that nothing's happening on the show)
3. Speeding up a show to a minimum speed A cannot affect my enjoyment level.
4. Speeding up on certain parts of a show B into speed C where C > A cannot affect my enjoyment level.
5. Speeding up a show to speed D where D > A can decrease my enjoyment level. (Example: When I cannot keep up with the speaking, my enjoyment decreases) 6. Speeding up a show to speed D where D > A but if I frequently pause at appropriate times, it cannot affect my enjoyment level. (Ex: When I keep up with the speaking because of the pausing, my enjoyment will not be affected because no information is lost)

7. Doing #3, #4, and #6 can decrease the time of watching the show by x1-x2 without compromising the maximum level of enjoyment.
8. Because of #2, it's better to do #7 than not do it.

For those who questioned my #2, ask those the fans of romance shows whining about the romance being dragged-out.

Now it's your time to make a logical explanation on why anybody should watch anime at normal speeds.
I don't wanna hear the music appreciation, director's a god, pacing appreciation, setting and surroundings appreciation, lost information on speeding up, and if you don't like it drop it crap because it will not work on me (but it will work to other people).

Aug 15, 2016 5:56 AM

i did this to an anime i already watched.

i left it for a long while, and wanted to continue, so i started from episode 1 again and fast forward all the scenes i already watched , it helps me remember what i watched before until i reach a new episode i didnt see.

Aug 15, 2016 7:39 AM

opheliakc said:
romagia said:
ah-ah, we meet again, my fellow emilie fan; i've been kinda waiting for someone to ask this xd

kissanime uses html5 player which supports speeding up by default, but few players actually have implemented this feature (youtube is one of the few)

one day, i looked up for kissanime addons and found this gem, which also adds speeding up hotkeys for the main player:
https://gist.github.com/crapier/91926a6353207f4524cc

if you're not familiar with greasemonkey addons,
step 1. install greasemonkey (i think this works only on mozilla firefox? i tried it on google chrome with tampermonkey and it didn't work, could be my fault tho.. also not sure on phone, probably not)
step 2. add the script from the github link (just pressing Raw button should work? if not, copy the text, go to the addons menu for Greasemonkey, create a new script and paste it there)

if everything is done right, you should now be able to change speed in increments of 0.25 with the - and + buttons, and a bunch of other kissanime features you can edit by pressing Home button

but lately ive seen you can right click and see a "Play Speed" button on the right click menu of some HTML5 players, including gogoanime which SkyWing0 mentions.. but i think it's also mozilla only, and only has 4 speeds in increments of 0.5 http://i.imgur.com/Zip9Z3w.jpg

Well that's just bad. My firefox doesn't play html5 videos and that script doesn't work on chrome, gogoanime have a player that has fast forwarding but most animes aren't there.
what kind of firefox doesn't play html5 videos D:

Aug 15, 2016 8:07 AM

opheliakc said:
romagia said:
what kind of firefox doesn't play html5 videos D:

Downloaded video speed controller for chrome, everyhing worked out lol.
๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€ now you too can trigger kagami

Aug 15, 2016 9:49 AM
Sanji Fangirl

I've done it sometimes when watching a boring show that i just want to finish.

Aug 15, 2016 1:20 PM

That's hilarious that people do that just for some kind of pseudo-completion idea.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to finishing War and Peace by reading the first sentence on each page so that I can add it to my list of books I read.

Aug 15, 2016 4:04 PM

Lol pretty sure they're Bullshitting you.
I hate stupid people.

Aug 15, 2016 4:14 PM

Because, gotta go fast!
Simply because they want to put some anime that they dont enjoy a lot in their ''completed list'' and debate about it when you they havent seen anything with their full attention!

Aug 15, 2016 7:17 PM
Isekai MC

Real talk: they're dumb, and probably have the attention span of roadkill. Then, some of them have the gal to call themselves completionists. No, no, completionists put in the time; no tricks.
Modified by BatoKusanagi, Aug 15, 2016 7:26 PM

Aug 15, 2016 8:09 PM
I've never heard of people doing that before but it sounds rather silly. They could be doing this for the sake of "completing" the series they dislike faster. And probably they think having too many "dropped anime" in their profiles does not seem good

Aug 16, 2016 6:13 AM

And I thought that skipping OP/ED was evil enough. Seriously if someone is going to fast forward a show anyway, why doesn't he go at 10x or 20x instead of 2x because 5 percent faster is enough to transform "watching an anime" into "trying to increase the watched list count".

Aug 16, 2016 6:21 AM

So you don't know how many stupid things people would do in this world, huh?. . .

Well, take a guess. our world are simply the most boring universe ever created. in order to escape from that boredom. people would do everything just not to get bored no matter how stupid it is. i guess that's how innumerable useless things in this world are comparing to something useful of course.

Long short story is our world is the very definition of imperfection.
Mushoku Tensei is the best harem light novel out there and Rudeus is my man'. . .

Aug 16, 2016 6:36 AM

I think you may lose a lot of feels if you do that, BUT if the anime sucks and you want to know how it ends, honestly I can't blame you.
I did it on the last episode of Kabaneri because althought I hated it, I still wanted to know how it would end. It was an accident tbh, I was going to click on pause to hate on it with a friend, but then it was at 2x speed and I realize I was able to comprehend everything AND that I would waste 5 minutes of my life instead of 10. Easy choice.
I felt like I was breaking a code of honor or something by doing so though, so I doubt I'm going to do it again. Later on I even rewatched some scenes because I was feeling guilty *sighs*
So yea, I completely understand if you watch anime at 2x speed or faster, but I don't think I can do that. I see anime as art, and I feel like I'm being unfair with it and everyone in the production if I just go and skip/accelerate stuff. That's me, though. My bf drops anime all the time, gives up in the middle of an episode, goes to the kitchen/bathroom/whatever without pausing... I caaaaaaaaaaaan't do that. Ever.

Aug 16, 2016 6:41 AM

I do speed up when the episode or certain moments are boring/slow paced. I don't want to drop an anime because of that one slow episode, while I enjoyed the rest, so I just make it 1.5x or 2x faster, and that's it.
I don't do this often, it just happens from time to time. I actually prefer to watch episodes from start to finish (except openings and endings), at normal pace.
I like pancakes.

Aug 16, 2016 6:54 AM

Ultimately ruin the intended pacing, atmosphere, soundtrack, emotional impact, etc, of the series.
Proceed to give it a bad rating, call it boring, or say it's pointless filler.
+1 completed anime

(Not to mention actually understanding the plot and appretiating the visuals, but that's debatable)

EDIT: this comment says it better:

Pullman said:
Trust me, I am perplexed too. I find it to be retarded. I've done it like twice in my life and that's only because I'm retarded and want to complete the bottom 100.^It doesn't really make any difference for the Hinako OVAs anyway since they mostly just repeat the same 2-3 frame sequences over and over again but I still feel bad about it (well, mostly about watching them in the first place). Watching an 'actual' show at a different speed is something I'd never understand. Anything better than a 2/10 is not worth getting that treatment in my book. It indicates that those people are more interested in their completed list than the actual act of watching anime. You lose pretty much all aspects that make up an anime aside from the main story. I guess adding anime to your list just based on reading wiki synopsis is the next logical step if you wanna get even more efficient at this 'game' called Myanimelist.

Changing the speed screws up everything the director and voice actors have done, completely throwing off the acting/voices, the music, the sense of timing, the flow, the atmosphere, the tension, everything. As far as I'm concerned you might have as well not watched the show if you rate it based on such a diminished experience. You certainly watched something very different than me and the others who watch it at normal speed. But you have no right to judge the show itself as it's not meant to be watched in a way that ruins everything. You wouldn't judge a piece of music based on some high-pitched 2x speed version, wouldn't you? At best that qualifies as a remix.

But at the end of the day it's their cup of tea. I just personally won't be able to take them seriously when they try to argue about an anime they only watched a twisted 'remix' version of.
Modified by Tulicloure, Aug 16, 2016 9:34 AM

Aug 16, 2016 7:23 AM
I don't do it simply because I just wanted to enjoy the anime as it intended to. True there are plenty of slow paced anime out there. But you don't have to watch it if that is not your taste.
I personally own a MAL account for the purpose of keeping a note of how far have I progressed, cause I have a tendency to leave an Anime for a long time. I switched about what I watched depend on my mood and not bound to certain series. If I want to watch it, i will watch it.
I didn't watched it for the sake of number of "Completed" because it was flawed by entries with different amount of episode and episode duration, I do it for the stat of "Days" or "Life spent watching".

Aug 16, 2016 7:45 AM
I have this completion complex, but I have never done this, nor even knew it existed until you pointed it out, and I never though of doing something like this, but I can see why people do it, I mean, some animes have a lot of useless scenes that it's just plain and boring, some scenes are part of the progression but it's cliche and you know what'll happen, or something that is passing is so disgusting and you don't want to watch that specific part for the whole time, I don't count slowness as a bad thing in a anime, since pretty great animes (and TV Series) are slow in development like "Mushishi" and the TV Series "Hannibal", but boriness does count as a reason, but in the end if you can actually understand the plot and what they are saying, then, it's okay, but if you don't understand crap and it's doing it just because, I would say you need help getting over you complex,

Aug 16, 2016 7:53 AM
So that every episode feels like a Teekyuu episode

Aug 16, 2016 7:58 AM

Gotta watch everything and drop nothing.

(Primary usefull when watching RAW shows.)
You all need to watch Nami.

Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »