Forum Settings
Forums

Why do some people watch anime at 2x speed or faster?

New
Aug 12, 2016 8:58 PM

Jun 2014
I have seen "some" people admit they do this and am perplexed at why anybody would watch an anime or anything at 2x or even 4x speed. Often time, the people tell me they don't care for the anime all that much so are trying to get through it quickly.

Though, what's the point in doing something as stupid as that? I can't find any logical argument in doing something that dumb and pointless.

Opinions?
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 12, 2016 9:01 PM
Jul 2015
Oftentimes people will feel that they simply must finish or watch an anime, even if they do not enjoy it. Playing it at increased speeds is simply a way to alleviate their pain, even if it is debatable whether this can be called watching a show, seeing as how crucial elements will be altered by the increased speeds.
Aug 12, 2016 9:08 PM

Jun 2014
Marnie said:
Oftentimes people will feel that they simply must finish or watch an anime, even if they do not enjoy it. Playing it at increased speeds is simply a way to alleviate their pain, even if it is debatable whether this can be called watching a show, seeing as how crucial elements will be altered by the increased speeds.

I know people do that, but watching something at 2x or higher is not actually watching the show. In the very least, its sounds like something an idiot would do.
Aug 12, 2016 9:09 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
so that the girls boobs can dodge bullets ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

lol... i didn't even know people did that
Aug 12, 2016 9:13 PM
Jul 2018
Yes I think of possible reasons behind this,
Reason 1:that anime is good but has too many fillersin the middle of story.

Reason 2:Yeah,they are forcing themself to finish boring anime which maybe their friend suggest him/her to watch it.

Reason 3:maybe he know that anime's story by finish reading the manga first.

Thats all my head giving me the reason,and I think watching speed of 2x is way too fast(try to stop them if you see them doing)
Aug 12, 2016 9:14 PM

Jul 2015
I heard people do that as well. It's usually because of their "completion-complex". Personally, I don't think it counts as watching the show. Plus, if an anime was THAT terrible to get through, I'd rather just drop it.
Aug 12, 2016 9:20 PM

Jun 2014
C4NDYCE said:
I heard people do that as well. It's usually because of their "completion-complex". Personally, I don't think it counts as watching the show. Plus, if an anime was THAT terrible to get through, I'd rather just drop it.

If somebodies completion complex causes them to watch an anime at 2x speed or higher, they are watching anime to make their list look big and nothing else. I also don't even count those as completions.
Aug 12, 2016 9:20 PM

Oct 2013
I've heard of people who skip whole scenes or even whole episodes, which only makes sense if you want to skip some random filler or flashback , but I can honestly say I've never heard of or done this. This is coming from one of those people who hates leaving things unfinished.
Aug 12, 2016 9:24 PM

Jan 2013
I would imagine they care A LOT about their completed series count or 'no drop policy' to the extent where they would rather finish a show they don't like at half the rate instead of either dropping the series altogether or missing the opportunity to finish what they have started. For these kinds of people I would assume their mentality is something like this; If I can comprehend everything that is happening the rate doesn't matter, as long as I haven't actually skipped anything.

Honestly that sounds fair enough to me, but it's definitely not something I would do personally.
EDIT: Reworded.
ChandelaAug 12, 2016 9:28 PM
Aug 12, 2016 9:28 PM

Jun 2014
Chandela said:
I would imagine they care A LOT about their completed series count or 'no drop policy' to the extent where they would rather finish a show they don't like at half the rate instead of either dropping the series altogether or missing the opportunity to finish what they have started. To these kinds of people I would assume their mentality is something like this; As long as I can comprehend what is happening, the rate doesn't matter as long as I don't actually skip anything.

Honestly to me that sounds fair enough, but it's definitely not something I would do personally.

There's no point in caring about your completions if you don't watch a show normally. By watching it at 2x speed, you are ruining your experience. Its like they care more about completions than anime because no true fan would do something like that.
Aug 12, 2016 9:28 PM

Oct 2014
I don't, but whatever mental disorders I have make it so that doing mundane tasks such as washing dishing can help me get through a boring anime more easily. I'm not that fast of a reader to begin with so I don't think I could keep up with the subs if I was watching an anime twice as fast as I should be. Maybe it could work for really slow anime like Hyouka and Glasslip.
Aug 12, 2016 9:29 PM

Jun 2016
Some people do that if they actually want to catch up on "Completed" list, basically they don't care if they couldn't understand the plot very well as long as they finish the series or quickly.
I am not a friend of justice. I am an enemy of evil.

STAPLE STABLE
Aug 12, 2016 9:37 PM

Jun 2014
Kyamana said:
Some people do that if they actually want to catch up on "Completed" list, basically they don't care if they couldn't understand the plot very well as long as they finish the series or quickly.

"I didn't understand the plot due to me increasing the speed and therefore ruined my experience, but at least I finished the final episode and can call it a completion."

What? Whats the point in catching up if you clearly are making it so you don't fully get the show?
Aug 12, 2016 9:39 PM

Jul 2014
Some people watch too much anime, and they aren't enjoying it much, and they're the types who don't drop so instead they fast forward.

In all honestly IDK, what I said up top is just a guess.
Aug 12, 2016 9:40 PM

Jan 2013
@Kagami
I definitely agree with you, especially this part,
Kagami said:
There's no point in caring about your completions if you don't watch a show normally.
but I still think it's feasible enough.

Ruining the experience sounds subjective though. If it's a show they don't like, completing it in half the time while still actually watching every part of it could be saving their experience, as to avoid diminishing their opinion of the work further by having it dragged on longer (longer being the normal rate though).

Yes, they would most certainly care about their completions more than the integrity of 'watching a show properly', that much is clear. However I am not one to define others as 'true anime fans' or not for I feel as if that is more specific to the individual if anything.
Aug 12, 2016 9:44 PM

Jul 2015
I did it for most of Noir, until it got good.
I'm a series completionist so I had a compulsion to finish it after I'd started, but I wanted to get the boring parts over with. Thus, 1.5/2x speed because I can't read or listen at a faster pace than that lmao

Jul 2016
I do that sometimes, two reasons for me (I had a lot of free time this past year):
1- if an anime is just okay or good, but short, sometimes i just binge watch it for completion feeling, especially because, mostly, I don't like to rate anything I haven't watched at least a significant amount of episodes.
2- if an anime is so good with a compeling story, I cant't stop watching it until there is no more episodes left. I am one of those people that need to know what happens next (I go crazy sometimes, please don't judge me). When there are no more espisodes I face a void feeling so bad I HAVE to read the manga (I'm not a big manga reader).
I guess some people have similar reasons...

Jun 2014
Chandela said:
@Kagami
I definitely agree with you, especially this part,
Kagami said:
There's no point in caring about your completions if you don't watch a show normally.
but I still think it's feasible enough.

Ruining the experience sounds subjective though. If it's a show they don't like, completing it in half the time while still actually watching every part of it could be saving their experience, as to avoid diminishing their opinion of the work further by having it dragged on longer (longer being the normal rate though).

Yes, they would most certainly care about their completions more than the integrity of 'watching a show properly', that much is clear. However I am not one to define others as 'true anime fans' or not for I feel as if that is more prone to the individual if anything.

I still don't see the point and pity anybody who does this.

Its dumb, pointless and I assume they care more about completions than anime itself.

@Dimethylanime - No wonder some people have so many completions on here.....
KagamiAug 12, 2016 9:48 PM
Aug 12, 2016 9:53 PM

Jul 2016
After reading some reviews, when you say wacthing 2x the speed, do you mean, skipping scenes or speeding the anime on dvd, tv, app, wherever you are watching, then no, I don't see the point in watching it like that...
Aug 12, 2016 9:53 PM

Jul 2012
Some videos on Youtube for copyright reasons are like 2x speed.
Aug 12, 2016 9:54 PM

Feb 2014
I usually skip filler episodes, because they don`t have any particular impact on the story or characters and I usually put a show on hold when I get bored of it. I believe that your particular mood is important to enjoy a medium.
Aug 12, 2016 9:57 PM

Jun 2014
Quequel said:
After reading some reviews, when you say wacthing 2x the speed, do you mean, skipping scenes or speeding the anime on dvd, tv, app, wherever you are watching, then no, I don't see the point in watching it like that...

Just watching the show at 2x speed or sometimes faster.

Id have at least 1200 completions if I did this. Thank god I didn't.
Aug 12, 2016 10:01 PM

Jul 2016
Kagami said:
Quequel said:

Just watching the show at 2x speed or sometimes faster.

Id have at least 1200 completions if I did this. Thank god I didn't.

Never did that either, I would never be able to keep up with subtitles, if I actually like a show, I like the fillers too, most of the time they are funny and Ilove to laugh
Aug 12, 2016 10:03 PM

Jan 2016
Heh I do it sometimes when I want to catch up on a long anime, I just put that 2x speed on the boring parts or just skip them compleletely.
Aug 12, 2016 10:03 PM

Sep 2015
Having a list in this site has a negative effect that would probably lead to unhealthy watching habit, as the term 'completion' takes a precedent over the essential one when we deals with every entertainment mediums, which is 'enjoying' it.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Aug 12, 2016 10:05 PM

Mar 2016
RKarim69f117 said:

Reason 2:Yeah,they are forcing themself to finish boring anime which maybe their friend suggest him/her to watch it.

Thats all my head giving me the reason,and I think watching speed of 2x is way too fast(try to stop them if you see them doing)

Reason 4 : Maybe they don't have enough time/on they busy day

Aug 12, 2016 10:10 PM

Jan 2013
@Kagami
Some people are just not as passionate towards the medium as you or I. I imagine most probably use it as a source of escapism and at the end of the day, it's just a cartoon. While that can mean very different things to several different people I don't think you should hold stigma towards them, but rather just acknowledge it for what it is and move forward.
Aug 12, 2016 10:10 PM

Jun 2014
UpperCat said:
Having a list in this site has a negative effect that would probably lead to unhealthy watching habit, as the term 'completion' takes a precedent over the essential one when we deals with every entertainment mediums, which is 'enjoying' it.

Its sad too. Sure, I won't lie.. I enjoy completing anime, but only if I'm earning the completions. I find it sad that some anime fans care more about completions than anime. Pretty ugly watching habit.

@Chandela - I want to make a discussion out of this so am against moving forward since that mindset will end the thread. Don't be confused - This won't keep me up at night nor will I think about it after leaving the thread. I'm shooting for a discussion my man.
KagamiAug 12, 2016 10:16 PM
Aug 12, 2016 10:16 PM
Dec 2015
You guys forget a very important point....It's part of Haruhi's endless 8. Then x4 is completely justified.
Aug 12, 2016 10:20 PM
Jul 2018
Rio_ said:
RKarim69f117 said:

Reason 4 : Maybe they don't have enough time/on they busy day
Well thats reason sound too guiltiness for me! I hope no anime fan even consider to do that way,
Aug 12, 2016 10:46 PM

Feb 2015
fristiac said:
You guys forget a very important point....It's part of Haruhi's endless 8. Then x4 is completely justified.

I just skipped 4-5 episodes. Nothing of value was lost.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Aug 12, 2016 11:06 PM
Jan 2013
Do you want this:

Or this?

The choice is obvious
gone bai bai
Aug 12, 2016 11:09 PM

Aug 2016
I can understand someone skipping pointless filler, but how the fuck does someone watch an anime on x2 speed? Maybe they just do it to make it feel like they're a fast reader, iunno.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Aug 12, 2016 11:13 PM

Feb 2015
Mhhh... I don't know why people do it... But I watch all anime in a normal speed.
Aug 12, 2016 11:14 PM

Sep 2014
I am not a fast reader so I can't say for the people who read subs, but I can speak Japanese fluently so I can speak for the Raw viewers.

I watch a series at 1.5x or more speed when I watch just for the sake of watching it. I decide this by giving a show few episodes (usually 3) to then decide whether I should
a. watch it
b. watch it 1.5x or more
c. hold it
d. drop it

I choose option b when it's a series I am not interested investing too much time (cuz I can watch better alternatives during) but the show itself is too famous, or 'good' (by the community) to not ignore it. Such as Love Live. I watch love live at 1.5x or more speed (Except for the music bits for obvious reasons) because it follows a very generic plot through generic characters (with exceptions). I understand what they are saying and the scenes I watch usually has no deeper meaning and things we need to look carefully so I believe watching it 1.5x or more speed is completely acceptable. I get what I get, but quicker.
Aug 12, 2016 11:27 PM

Jul 2014
I think 1.25x is acceptable for irredeemable garbage you want to finish out of a sense of duty. Most people who watch anime don't speak Japanese anyway and in general people read faster than characters speak.
Aug 12, 2016 11:29 PM

Aug 2016
I do this.
I also dual wield animes on multiple monitors
Aug 12, 2016 11:29 PM

Jun 2014
Mkim said:
Do you want this:

Or this?

The choice is obvious

That actually made me laugh. Good one.
Aug 12, 2016 11:31 PM

Jul 2013
I think people who do this just for the sake of completion doesn't have the right to score the show most especially if they didn't get the plot or just a part of it.
Watching it in 1.5x or 2x then rating it as 3 or 4 is just absurd. I know some people who do it.
The point where the darkness lies
Is the place I hide my true self
Are you prepared to open your eyes?
Cause between those line is yourself
Aug 12, 2016 11:36 PM

Jun 2014
keySL said:
I think people who do this just for the sake of completion doesn't have the right to score the show most especially if they didn't get the plot or just a part of it.
Watching it in 1.5x or 2x then rating it as 3 or 4 is just absurd. I know some people who do it.

While I like myanimelist and what the admins provide, I feel like some anime fans have lost sight of what being a fan is and care more about completions even if they aren't earning the completions.
Aug 12, 2016 11:38 PM
Jan 2013
Kagami said:
Mkim said:
Do you want this:

[im54g]http://i.imgur.com/cmsSSlc.png[/img]

Or this?

[i54mg]http://i.imgur.com/06sova4.png[/img]

The choice is obvious

Well bbyboy I might let you know that I am fairly serious on my statement
gone bai bai
Aug 12, 2016 11:40 PM

Jun 2014
Mkim said:
Kagami said:

How did you edit that though? I could use that...
Aug 12, 2016 11:44 PM
Jan 2013
Kagami said:
Mkim said:

gone bai bai
Aug 12, 2016 11:46 PM

Jul 2013
Kagami said:
keySL said:

While I like myanimelist and what the admins provide, I feel like some anime fans have lost sight of what being a fan is and care more about completions even if they aren't earning the completions.

I agree, some MAL user's just like to stare at the number of completed anime. It serves as self fulfillment for them.
More completed anime = more awesome you are mentality?
MAL is great platform to get new anime to watch and is great for tracking your watched anime tho.
lol , just to think it took me 4 years just to finished 100+ titles
The point where the darkness lies
Is the place I hide my true self
Are you prepared to open your eyes?
Cause between those line is yourself
Aug 12, 2016 11:46 PM

Jun 2014
Mkim said:
Kagami said:

I am using that as my picture for my myanimelist video tomorrow.
Aug 12, 2016 11:48 PM
Jan 2013
Kagami said:
Mkim said:

I am using that as my picture for my myanimelist video tomorrow.
sure bbyboy, whichever best floats your nice boat
gone bai bai
Aug 12, 2016 11:49 PM

Jul 2012
I do 1.5x at best (used to do 2x but it started sucking) for slower series and old shows where visuals/audio aren't worth watching for but I don't decide that until I get the right feel of the pacing. If pacing and speaking are too slow, I will speed it up. My attention span is really weak, so doing this helps me digest a series. I do 1.5x (and lower speeds like 1.3x) even with shows I rate highly. It's just something that makes me enjoy something better. I usually do 1x with all the airing shows though, because they have good visuals.

...Also, don't mention me in your MAL Youtube vids, please.
Aug 13, 2016 12:01 AM

Nov 2013
Mmmmmmm sometime I rewatch a lot of anime I cant do that thing watching In 2x I'm addicted in listening to the JP V.actor's and OST *^*
I skip some seens you know when something bad happened but not watching in 2X
Aug 13, 2016 12:14 AM

Jan 2015
Wow <_< can't believe it ppl did that way. for the sake of completion? Lol
karambiaAug 13, 2016 12:17 AM

la critique de l'intention pure
Aug 13, 2016 12:22 AM
Nov 2015
They did it to watch long shows like One Piece who're too long and contains meaningless pauses. I enjoyed it at normal speed.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

48 by EastIndiaCompany »»
58 seconds ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

110 by himegal »»
17 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 1 hour ago

8 by NonAtmospheric »»
25 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

19 by MasterTasuke »»
32 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

65 by LostSpectre »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.