Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 26, 2010 9:25 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So, did anyone watch this in theaters who doesn't mind giving me a bit of spoilers? ;_;
And their overall impression of the movie. I've heard great things, but most are Japanese based sites, so I can't fully make out what they're saying.

So far, these are the spoilers I've gotten my hands on -

And some scans from the booklet - All these scenes are in the movie.

Other than that, really looking forwar to seeing mai Feito-chan again. (And of course, Nanoha too.)
Jan 28, 2010 1:03 AM

Dec 2007
Watched it yesterday, and I thought that it was really good, probably better than the first season of the TV series although some less important characters got their screentime cut by a lot.
Animation in general was really good, although I was somehow expecting more (I blame that on having watched UBW a few days earlier) and the soundtrack was solid aswell.

Also, lol at Starlight Breaker being as destructive as a nuke in the movie. I surely don't remember that from the TV series.i
Jan 28, 2010 4:52 AM

Apr 2007
How does it compare to A's?
Jan 29, 2010 6:05 AM

Dec 2007
Killuan said:
How does it compare to A's?

I still prefer A's storyline, to this one as the main problems I had with the plot of the original TV series weren't really fixed with this movie. (Not that I did expect them to fix it either in any case)
Jan 29, 2010 7:16 AM

Apr 2007
I see. Well, the only problem I had with the S1 storyline were pacing issues, (The story itself, I found quite touching) and I heard those issues were greatly fixed in the movie...So I'll probably reach a different verdict on that.
Jan 30, 2010 11:08 PM

Jan 2007
Finally got time to watch this yesterday. My thoughts are pretty much of the same as the first season. Good watch but nothing to be extremely excited about. Highlight of the movie for me were the battle scenes. Totally digged all the magic lasers and stuff. Pace was fine and animation was solid. The end kinda got too cheezy for my tastes though. Overall, I was satisfied. I wished it didn`t premier on the same day as FSN and in the same week as finals though. The straps I wanted to buy were already sold out. Only got my hands on the book and folders.
Jan 31, 2010 3:58 AM

Apr 2007
Interesting, suppose I'll have to wait and see for myself.

A lot of people (and reviews) are saying it puts shame to the first season, and even rivals A's...And then there are others who say it's not much different than the first season.

Didnt they at least fix the pacing issues and the animation enough (as well as better action) for it to be better than the first season?

The ending "too cheesy" referring to the bridge scene? I loved that scene. : D

A few questions if you don't mind -

1.) Do they explain or show any detail to how Arf became Fate's familiar during Fate's backstory sequences?

2.) I heard Fate meets up with Nanoha twice (the bridge scene, and one other time) before she departs for the trial. Is this true?

3.) Lastly, ...Orz, I completely forgot what I wanted to ask. Oh well, I suppose only two questions to answer.
KilluanJan 31, 2010 4:14 AM
Jan 31, 2010 10:48 PM

Jan 2007
Well, it is all relative. Comparing a movie and a series is a bit tough since each has their own things to do. I won`t compare it to A`s since that is for the 2nd movie.

As for your questions,

1) I am having trouble remember what exactly happened and was said in Fate`s backstory outside of her teacher being created and Fate receiving her weapon. So i wanna say not really but I do remember her mother saying the word ``tsukaima`` but can`t recall in what context.

2) No (either that or I completely missed it in the whole what happens after the bridge meeting scenes)
Feb 1, 2010 2:13 AM

Apr 2007
The bridge scene may of been the second meeting. I'm not sure which was supposed to be the first, and which was the second. :3
Feb 1, 2010 7:49 AM

Dec 2007
I don't remember any second meeting scene aswell...but don't take my word on it, my memory really sucks when it has to remember scenes in the correct chronological order and such.
Feb 1, 2010 7:35 PM

Nov 2007
Fate and Nanoha met many times in the original season and they all fought each time. The only time where they conversed and met formally was at the end - the bridge scene. I'd really like to see how powerful they animated Fate's pupils following the depths of Precia falling into the abyss and her arm reaching out.

p.s. long time no see, Arthur.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Feb 1, 2010 11:23 PM

Apr 2007
Vizard said:
Fate and Nanoha met many times in the original season and they all fought each time. The only time where they conversed and met formally was at the end - the bridge scene. I'd really like to see how powerful they animated Fate's pupils following the depths of Precia falling into the abyss and her arm reaching out.

p.s. long time no see, Arthur.

<-- points to avatar.

Quite masterfully, I'd say.
Feb 2, 2010 7:00 PM

Nov 2007
A dynamic image would be awesome to view too. It's undoubtedly the most emotional scene in the movie/season for me. (unless they added some other unexpected new stuff)

Apr 29, 2010 1:09 AM

Nov 2007
I saw some of the rip and I have to say this really looks great, some of the action is just fantastic and they really improved on the overall story....I always found season 1 rather boring until the last third but this looks like its a really enjoyable watch...I wonder if anyone would ever sub this...they did it for Haruhi after all, and I dare say the camrip quality for this one is better than Haruhi's by a bit
Apr 29, 2010 3:31 AM

Apr 2007
Hmm, how did I type the same message twice..

Finished watching and despite my minimal Japanese, I did understand a good majority of it. It was really good. They removed all of more boring parts and kept the good. All while improving on the animation, and making the action sequences totally epic. The final battle was fantastic.

The new back story elements were touching at some points, and very sad in others. Precia's a bit more sympathetic now (cant believe I'm saying this...) because of the back story. Linith was a great character for how little she appeared. And there was some Alicia (mostly sad, but cute) Poor Alicia. ;-; - And the few back story elements with Fate were really cute as well.

Nanoha seems a bit more determined in this installment, (To make Fate her friend) though she's more or less the same. The improved animation certainly boosted her moe stats, though.

Other than that, if you thought she didn't act her age in season one, you're in for a ride in this one. Blood doesn't even make her flinch, when she gets blasted by Fate in the beginning, she lands on hard concrete...Only to shrug it off and get up.

Interestingly, while they hardened Nanoha, they softened Fate up a bit. She's kinder now, and more desperate, as if showing pensive sadness. She really shows a lot of emotion in this installment. I liked this version of Fate, but I'm probably too biased to give a fair assessment. Either way, the improved animation definitely helped to improve the emotion during some of the Fate scenes. "okaa-san, I brought you this Kēki* ;_;

+cute Fate is cute.

Gave it a 10. Does it deserve a 10? Probably not. But it gave me nearly everything I could have hoped for (without being selfish...) so in my own subjective rating, I think it deserves my third 10 ever. Realistically, I don't think it's better than A's. Perhaps on par, so a 9 would be a more fair rating, but I watched this version on a camrip, and still loved it, so that has to say something.

Oh, and something about this installation made the NanoFate moments seem more abundant. Must of been the change in some of the characters personalities.

Didn't bother to screencap any of the action, but I can assure you...They won't disappoint.

KilluanApr 29, 2010 6:02 AM
Apr 29, 2010 9:29 PM
Apr 2008
I was worried when I heard the characters personalities were slightly altered, but Fate's increased desperation and determination to save her mother only made me feel for her more. So did the insight on her's, Alicia's and Precia's backstory. Incredibly touching throughout. That constant loyality and devotion. ;___;

Absolutely adored this. Heck, I loved this more than A's! Though that might have something to do with a certain blonde having far more screentime.
May 4, 2010 6:42 PM

Nov 2007
This movie was essentially the first season all compiled into one but with some additional scenes, especially near the end. Everything was absolutely top-notch, in regards to animation, empathy being evoked from the audience, suspense, and action. I highly enjoyed viewing the camrip and will view it again when subs get released. I put the movie at a 9 for the time being where it may not be perfect, but it is excellent and commendable. It may be raised when I know the exact dialogue being said for some particular scenes. Witnessing Fate with those lonely eyes in search of the jewel seeds for her demented mother was certainly melancholic. Fate and the movie itself was simply breathtaking, beautiful, and tragic all in one. She just loved her mother that much and she was willing to do anything to win her approval, that's true character there. Fate was absolutely vibrant in every glimpse and scene with her. Ultimately, I'm glad she ends up happy because she deserves it.

May 11, 2010 10:55 AM

Nov 2007
i finally watched it full since the dialogue is the same thing as season 1 so its not like im missing THAT much (im also surprised at how much I can understand watching it RAW alone) and I have to say after this movie there is absolutely no reason for anyone to watch season 1 anymore, if anyone is to start the series this movie should be the first thing they watch because it does a great job at covering anything that actually mattered on that season. Also im impressed at the art quality as well as the action, both were top notch and among the best ones I've seen in this series.

Overall I'd prob give this either an 8 or a 9....im not sure yet, its a high 8 thats for sure..i'll round it up to 9 for now but I might drop it to 8 in the future after I watch this on BD. And thats saying a lot since I gave season 1 of this show a 7
May 14, 2010 5:22 PM

Feb 2008
The movie is better than series, the transformed and the battle was more awesome and we now know more about Feito-chan in her past and what is going on and etcs.

I don't want to go in details how good it is and simple want to say is awesome.

10/10
BlackbirdMay 14, 2010 5:30 PM

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

May 16, 2010 10:14 AM

May 2010
They did a really good job condensing the first season, yet retaining all that made the series great. Hopefully better quality subs will start coming out soon.
May 25, 2010 9:46 AM

Jun 2009
This movie is epic. O loved the art, no boring parts and the battle scenes.
Well, I prefer the 1st season than A's, so, I loved the movie. <3

10/10

Anyway, I need a movie for A's too... >_>

- Sorry my bad english.
May 27, 2010 9:25 AM

May 2010
Agreed Bring on Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha The Movie 2nd :3
Jun 10, 2010 9:25 AM

Jul 2008
Movie was really awesome :).

STARLIGHT NUKEEEEEE
Nov 26, 2010 5:23 AM

Mar 2010
I just watched the Bluray version of Nanoha the Movie, and it was pretty awesome. :D Luckily, the level of Japanese in it wasn't that hard, so I could watch it without the sub.

Nov 26, 2010 3:49 PM
May 2009
Wow, just wow. That's really all I can say. As a big fan of the first and second season of Nanoha I have to say that I was sceptical in the beginning, but the movie turned out to be a huge succes. They just dropped all the unneccesary stuff and focused more on the importanrt parts, things like the looking for the Jewel seeds before Fate appeared and the onsen trip just disappeared completely, but don't worry we still get to see awesome long distance shootan. Also they added a lot more backstory for Precia which works nicely as well. I think I can without a doubt say that in the future I will reccomend the movie rather than the first season. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the first season but this movie just put the whole level up a notch.
Nov 26, 2010 8:52 PM

Oct 2009
The BD/DVD sale of Nanoha Movie 1st beats the Suzumiya Haruhi set on Amazon JP and was at several times, No. 1. I ordered both BD copies to support everyone's hard work on the series.

I do miss several NanoFate moments from the S1 TV series that didn't make the cut in the movie :( Therefore, I can't rank the movie above the TV series no matter how amazing NanoFate looks in high def.

I must say, if you thought Nanoha's befriending method was "harsh" in the TV version, prepare yourself for some ultimate ass kicking. If you flashforward 13 years, you'll TOTALLY understand why Fate is so whipped. Fufufu~~~
Nov 26, 2010 9:06 PM

Apr 2007
code537 said:
The BD/DVD sale of Nanoha Movie 1st beats the Suzumiya Haruhi set on Amazon JP and was at several times, No. 1. I ordered both BD copies to support everyone's hard work on the series.

I do miss several NanoFate moments from the S1 TV series that didn't make the cut in the movie :( Therefore, I can't rank the movie above the TV series no matter how amazing NanoFate looks in high def.

I must say, if you thought Nanoha's befriending method was "harsh" in the TV version, prepare yourself for some ultimate ass kicking. If you flashforward 13 years, you'll TOTALLY understand why Fate is so whipped. Fufufu~~~

There was only one NanoFate scene cut in the movie, or am I missing some? Unless you're referring to any scene with Nanoha and Fate in it, including the action sequences where they're not being too...friendly.

But the only one I remember that was cut from the movie if the scene right after Precia falls into the abyss, and Nanoha reaches out her hand to Fate so she doesn't follow Precia. Albeit, one of the better NanoFate scenes it was. ;-;
There was the scene where Nanoha was holding Fate after saving her from the water after being blasted by her own attack...It was replaced with a different NanoFate moment, though.

A huge STB indeed...
KilluanNov 26, 2010 9:11 PM
Nov 26, 2010 9:38 PM

Oct 2009
Killuan said:
There was only one NanoFate scene cut in the movie, or am I missing some? Unless you're referring to any scene with Nanoha and Fate in it, including the action sequences where they're not being too...friendly.

A huge STB indeed...

I really miss these moments from the TV series that propels the Nano-Fate relationship to a subjective level:

a. During one of Fate's torture (whipping) scene...when Precia's hands down the ultimate lash, Fate closes her eyes tightly and sees images of Nanoha...

b. After Fate returns to Precia's mansion to save Nanoha from the giant monster/machine, Nanoha walks up to her and touches her hand...although I really liked the new Nanoha reaction when Fate spoke to her...Nanoha was like a little puppy.

c. The same scene mentioned by you...when Nanoha reaches out her hand to save Fate from the crumbling mansion...this was important because Fate had to decide whether she will give up on life (because there goes Precia/Alicia into the black hole) or choose to reach for the girl in the white barrier outfit....

d. Throughout the TV series, Nanoha had more random scenes with inner thoughts about the girl with the sad eyes, and she seemed more conflicted about her feelings for that girl in the black barrier jacket, etc. The new Nanoha is stronger, more confident, and simply two plus hours of pure bad ass. So that's great for high definition.

I know - the creator can't please everybody. I just think that the slow-paced emotional moments like those in the TV series was what made MSLN different than the generic, over-the-top, ecchi magical girl shows. So I do look for them, no matter how subjective or small.

The Movie is still kick ass - nuff said. I am constantly tracking my Fedex shipment from Amazon JP.
Nov 26, 2010 9:49 PM

Apr 2007
heh, some very specific scenes. I do remember a., and I'm kind of sad it's gone myself. Just wasn't linking it to a NanoFate moment. As for b, I guess I don't remember that scene vividly enough to remember them touching hands. I can't say why they removed c. considering it was such a short and sweet scene. Fate's character in the movie compared to the series was a little different and may not of been quite so ready to throw herself into a black hole. So maybe the creators didn't think it was needed for Nanoha to save her? I'm not sure.

The rest are well, yeah, time constraints.
Nov 27, 2010 12:51 AM

Oct 2009
Killuan said:
As for b, I guess I don't remember that scene vividly enough to remember them touching hands.

The power of owning S1/S2 DVDs is...re-watching endlessly for free. My fav' NanoFate AMV has the "handwich" scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pJnUjvIzyk
Nov 27, 2010 8:51 AM

Apr 2007
Oh, now I remember it. I've seen that scene a lot in AMV's, but I thought it was from A's for some reason.
Nov 27, 2010 3:34 PM

Jun 2009
I got befriended by Nanoha.
Nov 27, 2010 3:46 PM
May 2010
Was Linith in the first season?
I can only remember her from the second season, and I had no idea who she was when they introduced her in the alternate reality.

Well either way, glad to see her origins...
Nov 27, 2010 4:40 PM

Sep 2008
My heart broke every time Nanoha lost a fight. I just hate it when she loses to Fate, at any age. Other than that, I loved the Starlight Breaker.

I was hoping for something that deviated a bit more from the original by being paced differently. I thought Linith's time with Fate was really cut down, but oh well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 27, 2010 4:55 PM

Apr 2007
y'know being OP from the start would make for a pretty static and undeveloped Nanoha. They made her OP enough already...Fate's got a lot more experience than her, it would be silly if she won from the get go.

Are you saying you thought Fate's time with Linith was too short? Well, she didn't appear at all in the first season.
Nov 27, 2010 6:53 PM

Apr 2009
whew.. that Starlight Breaker sent chills to me more this time.. i knew it was coming and i am very aware of its properties.. but the way they show the gradual accumulation of unused mana and the look on Fate's face made the much feared signature move, well, fearful and epic..

also, that bridge scene in the end is more dramatic..

anyway, this movie is an overall badass version of the first series.. but it seems more like Dark Magical Girl Lightning Fate the MOVIE 1st due to the overall focus on Fate during non-action scenes..
argiliumNov 27, 2010 7:15 PM
Nov 27, 2010 7:29 PM

Sep 2008
Killuan said:
y'know being OP from the start would make for a pretty static and undeveloped Nanoha. They made her OP enough already...Fate's got a lot more experience than her, it would be silly if she won from the get go.

Are you saying you thought Fate's time with Linith was too short? Well, she didn't appear at all in the first season.
I'm not saying that Nanoha should have always won. I'm just saying that it kills me when she does.

The Linith thing is relevant if you one reads the manga.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 27, 2010 7:46 PM

Apr 2007
I see.

Sadly, as all Nanoha manga have been (excluding Force and Vivid) it's additional content not shown in their anime counterparts. So the Fate/Linith moments had a heavy focus in the manga because they could not all fit into the movie.
Nov 27, 2010 8:03 PM

Apr 2008
Deleted a bunch of junk relating to subs and downloads

Now onto the movie itself. As a fan of the series, I was very pleased with the entire produciton- the music, the animation, pacing, etc. It didn't really change anything I thought about any of the characters, or the show itself. However, one thing that would have been nice would be if they resolved Nanoha's slight quarrel with Alisa and Suzuka. It just seemed as if they let that storyline die out, or they forgot to tie things up.

Anyways, I'm REALLY looking forward to an As movie, with Hayate and Signum *~*.

Nov 27, 2010 8:52 PM

Nov 2007
MisterSaito said:
However, one thing that would have been nice would be if they resolved Nanoha's slight quarrel with Alisa and Suzuka. It just seemed as if they let that storyline die out, or they forgot to tie things up.

That. Is the only complaint i have about this movie.

I feared that they would rush too much in the movie (like Unlimited blade works) but they didnt.

They pulled of some sweet moves in the fighting scenes and just when i thought they couldnt make STB any better, they proved me so wrong!

Overall = awesome!

Nov 27, 2010 9:35 PM

Apr 2007
and just when i thought they couldnt make STB any better, they proved me so wrong!

That is what happens when you make a movie with tripple of the first seasons budget, heh.
Nov 28, 2010 12:02 AM

Apr 2010
i had waited too long to see this movie..... At last i able to download it....
it awesome...... story,scene, and sound..... all awesome...
I really miss fate.....

^_^

Nov 28, 2010 11:44 AM

Jan 2010
That movie... I loved it.
The pacing was not too slow and not too fast.
We also got to see Precia's past, and that was awesome.
The art was awesome as well, watching Nanoha befriend Fate with BD quality was really nice.
I have no complaints, 9/10.
Wafu~ !
Nov 28, 2010 4:38 PM

Feb 2008
there are many things to like about this movie but one of the things i really like is the transformation sequences....they were kept to a minimum. in fact i think it was only once for each. maybe they wanted to spend the time on other crucial things but there is nothing more annoying than a repeat of a sequence you have seen a million times.
Nov 29, 2010 2:22 PM

Aug 2007
Well, at least one FULL transformation, the others were only partly shown. I liked it and it was more stylish than of the tv series. I think they really did well: this is what the first season should have been like. A friend of mine couldn't get past the first three episodes, but this is recommendable for everyone.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Nov 29, 2010 6:49 PM

Apr 2009
It was a really good movie, enough to be a substitute for the first season itself, it doesn't really throw away the essential parts and keeps the action and plot on a good pace and linearity. If anything I think they made Fate even more awesome, they really did put an increased detail into her eyes and really made her character that much more appealing. The increased backstory about Fate, Alicia and Precia was done even better than the series, although other things like issues with the Takamachi family and with Alisa and Suzuka seemed to be played down considerably. I'm definitely looking forward to the second movie now.

More thoughts about the movie here.
SteelMaverickDec 8, 2010 4:12 AM
Nov 29, 2010 7:37 PM

Apr 2009
This was just 2 hours of child abuse with an awful contrived plot that bled obnoxious clichés... I will never understand how anyone can like this, and I'm so glad that I didn't waste time watching the series.
Nov 29, 2010 8:30 PM

Jul 2007
Pros: Souping up the battle scenes, Precia backstory, cutting out all the series' beginning fluff.
Cons: Cutting out how Nanoha, Alisa and Suzuka became friends - an integral part of what makes Nanoha Nanoha. Fate's more "lively" personality at the start. Pacing problems at the start (Nanoha can use Divine Buster on her first go-around? Srsly?)

8/10 on the whole. No better or worse than the first season.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Nov 30, 2010 12:27 AM
Nov 2009
How nostalgic, seeing my favourite loli(Nanoha FTMFW) on screen again! This time with way better animation and backgrounds too! Though it feels like Fate definitely stole the show since she got most if not all the focus on development, then again this is a movie and I thought they did an awesome job with the time limit.
Dec 1, 2010 11:53 PM

Aug 2009
NANOHAAAAAAA

//STARLIGHTTTTTTTTT BREAKERRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Nanoha The Movie 1st Soundtrack is awesome!

Alpha-Methyl - Aug 15, 2017

0 by Alpha-Methyl »»
Aug 15, 2017 5:57 AM

» Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha: The Movie 1st

Me262 - Apr 8, 2017

4 by InsaneLeader13 »»
Apr 8, 2017 4:47 PM

» Watch the Movie or the Tv series?

JoeLT - Dec 11, 2011

6 by AkitaSaito »»
Mar 20, 2014 10:01 PM

» Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha

t0ny - Jan 25, 2011

4 by AirStyles »»
Jan 26, 2011 12:56 AM

» Chapter Timecodes?

scifantasy - Jan 19, 2011

0 by scifantasy »»
Jan 19, 2011 1:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.