Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 12, 2020 8:41 AM
Jul 2020
No, you're not the only one. Fma:B was alright for me at least. Fma 03 was just much more better. Dante > Father Hohenheim.
Sep 20, 2020 4:49 AM
Mar 2018
I prefer 2003 over Brotherhood as well. It's sad to see 2003 fading into obscurity....
Oct 29, 2020 3:12 PM

Jul 2017
I prefer Brotherhood but after rewatching both, the 03 version comes close. It did the earlier Brotherhood episodes a lot better, had better music and directing, and its themes surrounding equivalent exchange and the characterization of the homunculi themselves were really interesting, except Dante who I still did not find interesting whatsoever as a character. The story while bittersweet and more unique and serious, is not as tightly put together due to being an original that's written not from Arakawa's perspective and Shamballa made a mess of it while Brotherhood felt really tightly written for me till the end while satisfying me in every way possible, even thematically.

Both really are terrific anime and while I prefer Brotherhood, the original really does live up big time and when it comes to original content that deviates from a manga and not fully original (like a Kill la Kill), its easily the best there is out there.
Nov 2, 2020 8:38 AM

Dec 2007
before i watched fma03 (after watching fma09) by recommendation of a friend, i read (i think here) that both of the series is divided by simply that fma03 is character driven story while fma09 is plot driven story, after watching fma03 i learned that fma03 have much more except characters, the story is the same, in fact the story of the manga is truly masterpiece, though no reading the entire manga, i will say that it have the unorthodox shounen story, it only depends on how you take it.

fma03 took it further - as much as the story is unorthodox sounen, so is the anime, it dark tone and them build here wonderful anime, unlike fma09 the logic of alchemy is much more explained and explored, and the theme is making the characters playing by it's rythm, though there's parts with slow pace, i find the last arc of the anime really surprising and twisty 'till the end.

in fma09 on the other hand, it took the unorthodox shounen story of fma and took it to look more shounen, not only in terms of them and animation but with the logic and story, unlike fma03 where the brothers driven by their actions and sins, they feels much more shounen heroes, there's the masterpiece story of the manga, but that's the only thing about it.

i also find the ending in fma03 better, not only because i like more open endings, but because it made perfectly sense for the theme of the anime and the characters.

so yeah i liked fma03 more, my actual rating of it is 13/10 unlike fma09 11/10
Nov 30, 2020 8:04 AM
May 2018
I just finished watching '03 Full Metal Alchemist this past weekend and I want to retract my previous opinion, I actually really don't like that iteration now.

For me, 2003 just comes off as a poor fan fiction, especially with some of the characters they added to the story like Wrath and Archer. The homunculi just aren't as interesting in this version and other than Lust and Gluttony, they aren't as present in the story. Dante really doesn't do it for me, but I didn't care for Father in Brotherhood either. The world seems much smaller with the loss of the other countries and solid supporting characters, like Ling and the version of Scar found in Brotherhood. The last few 10 or so episodes in particular soured the experience for me, I was just ready for the show to be over and nearly forced myself through it. Brotherhood certainly isn't perfect, but it is (for me) the superior version of the show.

Here's the two main reasons I don't like '03 anymore:
Dec 30, 2020 9:09 PM

Sep 2020
One of the best critic like literature nerd also liked it more than the 2011,kinda weird,ngl
Jan 19, 2021 9:26 PM

Nov 2019
Damn I have bought the BD of 2009 anime. If 2003 is already so boring, 2009 might be just awful...
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Jan 25, 2021 2:49 AM

Nov 2019
I loved both the versions of Fullmetal Alchemist, the 2003 version and the Brotherhood version but I prefer the 2003 version slightly more because of its first opening song, better depiction of the death scene of Maes Hughes (it really did hit very hard in the 2003 version) and creating the atmosphere with a lot of tension by showing us that those antagonists are almost indestructible (before revealing their weakness), but in Brotherhood version, this tension wasn't there cause all they had to do was to incinerate those antagonists which didn't seem to create much tension for me. I do admit that the Brotherhood version did a much better job at Fuhrer King Bradley.
Feb 10, 2021 12:44 PM
Jul 2018
I haven't read the FMA manga. But having watched both FMA and FMAB, I will say that I liked FMA more. Granted the pacing was slow in the beginning and it took some time for the plot to pick up, it was worth the investment in the end. FMAB had a nice ending, but I feel like I enjoyed FMA's ending more since it wasn't predictable. I also feel that the tone of FMAB was too lighthearted.
Feb 12, 2021 10:44 PM

Jul 2020
I have to agree with you on this. FMA is what got me into anime. I prefer the ending in Brotherhood as it wrapped everything up nicely, but I love FMA alot. Even though most of it was original and didn't line up with the manga, it still told an amazing story. The ending is the only thing that was a little bit of a let down, especially the fact that they killed off my waifu. Though I know she dies in Brotherhood too, they gave her more character depth in this series than in Brotherhood. They gave a lot of characters more character depth and added awesome concepts that I was sad were not in Brotherhood.
THE ONE WHO HAS SEEN THE TRUTH AND MASTERED TIME
Mar 6, 2021 11:07 AM

Sep 2020
nahhh I prefer fma 03 too. It is more satisfying than brotherhood, especially the ending(COS doesn't count because it's shit).
swag
Mar 29, 2021 1:14 PM

Feb 2013
I've given both a 10, but truth be told, I like the original more, mostly due to the atmosphere - it felt darker and the emotions were overall stronger. Also, I liked the soundtrack more. Yes, the plot isn't as rich as FMAB, but the direction is a bit better in my opinion.
Apr 3, 2021 11:51 PM
Mar 2021
DarkRanger said:
I've given both a 10, but truth be told, I like the original more, mostly due to the atmosphere - it felt darker and the emotions were overall stronger. Also, I liked the soundtrack more. Yes, the plot isn't as rich as FMAB, but the direction is a bit better in my opinion.

I like it for the same reasons. Moreover, the basic concept of alchemy is equivalent exchange. It is meant to be darker and FMA03 is unorthodox shounen. The theme songs also fit the story better. Melissa and Undo are basically telling us the yearnings of the Elric brothers, to go back to their carefree and happy days, and undo their actions in the past, no matter the cost (until they learned how the Philosopher's Stone is created). Kesenai Tsumi is a constant reminder of their sins, closely related to how the homunculus Sloth is a mirror image of their very own mother. Tobira no mukou he tells us how Ed was cornered into a metaphorical box of common sense because of his belief in the power of alchemy, and how he managed to get past through the door of that 'box' after learning the truths of the world beyond the 'door/gate' where he paid the price for human transmutation. The songs created an extremely amazing environment in which the FMA03 thrived on. It will always remain a masterpiece.
Apr 6, 2021 9:29 PM
Jan 2011
No. I prefer 03 aswell. Brotherhood instead of putting the main focus on the brothers and their journey to get their bodies back like in 03 it has unnecessary amounts of side character development that I don't care about especially for the new characters.
Jun 17, 2021 3:13 AM

Aug 2020
i like both, fma '03 seems to have a much mature and darker enviroment which i prefer, also the pacing in the first few episodes was way better than in fmab and the way fma '03
was way better than the fmab version and fma also handles nina better and also sheska was better in fma than in fmab

but still i prefer fmab over fma, i gave fmab a 10 and fma '03 a 9

both are really good, fma '03 is more dark but fmab has a better storyline and better character development, roy mustang is way cooler in fmab and greed is also way better in fmab (greed is my fav character in fmab) and also olivier armstrong is not even present in fma '03
Jul 5, 2021 12:53 PM

Oct 2015
I appreciate FMAB but don't absolutely love it like a lot of people do. But yeah FMA 03 is a lot more appealing to me also.

03 has:
- More focus on the brothers
- Story isn't as grand in scale but feels more personal
- Less generic main villain who is debatably better
- Better creation backstory for the Homunculi
- Antagonists that felt more threatening/proper power scaling
- Less straightforward shounen themes to make things more interesting
- Moral ambiguity
- Highlights the heavy costs of equivalent exchange

All in all Brotherhood is definitely more polished and is still a solid anime in its own right. But honestly the beginning was quite rough, and while the ending was satisfying it just doesn't feel as powerful as the first anime. Even with its more pronounced flaws FMA 03 was far more enjoyable in my opinion.
Jul 23, 2021 7:30 AM

Nov 2020
i don't prefer 03 to brotherhood because of the isekai ending, that, that is it.
Aug 1, 2021 11:58 PM
Jun 2020
Yeah ur right the level of depth of the original vastly out does FMAB. Especially with how the creators utilized humunculi, the idea of equivalent exchange made better since, and scar having an extremely interesting story arc. I think people tend to forget that while FMAB is a decent show 03 was way more boundary pushing and had an edgier tone that is missed a lot from more modern shonen. 03 stands out more than fmab its just that fmab became more popular
Jan 12, 2022 10:56 PM
Aug 2018
Many must love more the 2003 one compared to manga and Brotherhood. In my case, I highly appreciated all 3 but prefers slightly more the manga and then Brotherhood and 2003. Still, I highly agree for the amazingness of the 2003 version aside of such aspects such as the rushed and weird ending.
Reviewing is not easy.
Jan 14, 2022 10:00 PM

Feb 2021
the ending and concept were much better in this one. some of the characters are a little more fleshed out in the manga tho
Feb 26, 2022 10:32 AM

Dec 2020
FMAB's ending is decent. It isn't perfect. It is even bad in some aspects.
FMA '03's ending is better in every way.
Mar 1, 2022 2:19 AM

Sep 2021
The final alternate earth thing in FMA 2003 felt really forced as there was no foreshadowing of this throughout the show which is a very bad aspect. It just felt like someone made it up on the spot to quickly wrap the show whereas in Brotherhood the countrywide transmutation was heavily foreshadowed from the beginning. The pointless filler episodes and the sequel Conqueror of Shamballa with it's plotholes and contrivances makes it even worse. Dante and Father were both underwhelming villains but atleast Father has a clear motive which makes him far better than the former. FMA 2003 had better OST and Lust & Sloth's characterisation, everything else including story, characters, animation, philosophical messages etc was done far better in Brotherhood.
May 25, 2022 10:04 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Both versions are great, but I prefer FMAB.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 20, 2008

67 by Ronin_4011 »»
Apr 13, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 21, 2008

170 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:46 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 12, 2009

56 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 49 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 11, 2009

57 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 48 Discussion

suki78787 - Jul 13, 2009

44 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.