Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 4, 2016 8:45 AM
Mar 2016
I think that the first arc of Sword Art Online had a lot of potential which was never taken advantage of. Instead it was squeezed into 12 episodes, with bad pacing and character development. Probably due to being based off a light novel.

I think that it should be remade into a longer series so there is more time to build on the survival game setting, Kirito and Asuna's relationship, and making an ending which makes sense. Possibly tone down on the filler too.

Season 2 and so on could still be canon and all that.
Aug 4, 2016 12:57 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
So...basically just adapt the Progressive series, then?

Aug 4, 2016 6:42 PM

Aug 2015
Dustandpie said:

I think that it should be remade into a longer series so there is more time to build on the survival game setting, Kirito and Asuna's relationship, and making an ending which makes sense. Possibly tone down on the filler too.
SAO Progressive in a nutshell then.
Aug 6, 2016 7:28 AM

Jul 2014
A-1 steak sauce studio should have done that in the first place.
Aug 8, 2016 7:31 AM
Mar 2016
Probably didn't realise it would be sopopular
Aug 10, 2016 12:46 AM
Aug 2016
I don't know, I love it, but maybe one day.
Aug 12, 2016 8:53 PM

Jan 2011
The anime used all the material from the manga. Like previously posted they probably didn't expect SAO to be so popular.

Once the progressive series gets far enough along I'm sure they will adapt it into an anime.

What is the progressive up to now? Thought it was around volume 6.
Aug 12, 2016 9:17 PM
Aug 2016
Okay, think logically guys. They "crammed" the season into a few episodes because, let's be fair; it was not orginally a anime. If was manga. In manga's they push things in and make it into a organized brick. That is what they did in this. Because that is what they did in the manga's. So no the first arc of the Sword Art Online anime steries should not have a reboot. Even if there wasn't "enough time" to witness Asuna's and Kirito's relationship, then go read the manga's!
Aug 17, 2016 11:39 AM
May 2007
I you mean the first half of SAO then I agree. It was realy good and was very intriguing but as soon as the second half came it was all about boobs, fanservice and incest. Really sad it took a turn for the worse. Just finished it all and don't even think I want to start on SAO II. I might but I'm afraid it's just gonna get worse from now on...
Aug 21, 2016 7:27 AM

Jul 2014
Salmon123 said:
Okay, think logically guys. They "crammed" the season into a few episodes because, let's be fair; it was not orginally a anime. If was manga. In manga's they push things in and make it into a organized brick. That is what they did in this. Because that is what they did in the manga's. So no the first arc of the Sword Art Online anime steries should not have a reboot. Even if there wasn't "enough time" to witness Asuna's and Kirito's relationship, then go read the manga's!

That made no sense at all.
Aug 21, 2016 7:37 AM

Feb 2015
OppaiSugoi said:
Salmon123 said:

The manga is even worse btw.
Aug 29, 2016 9:16 AM

Nov 2008
JonasTheJay said:
OppaiSugoi said:

The manga is even worse btw.

The manga sucks. Read the novels.

Aug 31, 2016 5:31 AM
Aug 2015
InF3sTeD said:
The anime used all the material from the manga. Like previously posted they probably didn't expect SAO to be so popular.

Once the progressive series gets far enough along I'm sure they will adapt it into an anime.

Can you please explain why there's a new novel about the first arc?
Aug 31, 2016 8:56 AM

Jan 2011
On_the_Lam said:
InF3sTeD said:

Well, its because of the sheer popularity of the light novels and anime.

When Reki Kawahara wrote volume 1 of Sword art online it was just meant to be a short story he entered in a contest. So it was very condensed and instead of fleshing out volume 1 afterwards he progressed the story into Fairy Dance and so on. He added a few chapters about the time spent in SAO in the short story compliation volumes.
(In the anime Season one of SAO Volume 1 +2 of the light novel makes up 6 episodes of the anime. The rest is all from the Side story compilation chapters + Fairy dance)

So, when the anime was released SAO got a huge boost to its fanbase. Probably well beyond what anyone had imagined. People loved the world and characters but felt the story was very weak and lacking substance and skipped a lot of the details of what happened in the 2 years trapped in SAO.

I think Reki Kawahara always wanted to write the full story of Sword Art Online and now that he's got the support behind him he plans to give us a complete and fleshed out SAO.
Aug 31, 2016 9:00 AM
Aug 2015
InF3sTeD said:
On_the_Lam said:

When Reki Kawahara wrote volume 1 of Sword art online it was just meant to be a short story he entered in a contest. So it was very condensed and instead of fleshing out volume 1 afterwards he progressed the story into Fairy Dance and so on. He added a few chapters about the time spent in SAO in the short story compliation volumes.
(In the anime Season one of SAO Volume 1 +2 of the light novel makes up 6 episodes of the anime. The rest is all from the Side story compilation chapters + Fairy dance)

So, when the anime was released SAO got a huge boost to its fanbase. Probably well beyond what anyone had imagined. People loved the world and characters but felt the story was very weak and lacking substance and skipped a lot of the details of what happened in the 2 years trapped in SAO.

I think Reki Kawahara always wanted to write the full story of Sword Art Online and now that he's got the support behind him he plans to give us a complete and fleshed out SAO.

Interesting. If the story is indeed good, then I hope it gets an anime adaptation. Since it is a reboot, does it have significant changes from the original SAO? Will it have a new ending?
Aug 31, 2016 9:01 AM

Nov 2011
doesnt need a reboot...its pretty much faithful to the 1st LN....could adapt the progressive series if they want to down the line though as others have stated
SWFC

We're all Wednesday arent we?
Aug 31, 2016 9:22 AM

Jan 2011
Interesting. If the story is indeed good, then I hope it gets an anime adaptation. Since it is a reboot, does it have significant changes from the original SAO? Will it have a new ending?

The biggest change as of now is the relationship between Kirito and Asuna. The author has them working together a lot more then the original LN where Kirito is just portrayed as a loner and almost nothing is mentioned about Asuna.

As for the ending who knows. It's up to Reki Kawahara
Sep 4, 2016 9:04 PM

Nov 2008
On_the_Lam said:
InF3sTeD said:

There are definitely some interesting characters in Progressive as well (Season 1 of the anime left them out completely) and that's quite a shame.

What I really don't get is why the anime did in fact adapt Diavel's story but skipped all the other arcs in volume 01 of Progressive. That makes zero sense. ._.

Jan 8, 2017 9:16 AM
Mar 2016
Progressive didn't exist when the anime was made right? And the LN it was adapted from was very condensed.
Jan 8, 2017 10:29 AM
Jan 2017
InF3sTeD said:
On_the_Lam said:

I felt like it was honestly supposed to end after the first arc. Even if they were dead, I felt it would have been less of a disservice to us the audience and the characters. So far I hate sao 2 compared to the first arc, though I actually like death gun I hate sinon for the fact she just flirts with kirito in front of Asuna. They made Asuna such a side character with that and dying her hair blue, I just hope the adapt the progressive series and that ordinal scale is good. Asuna better come back as the strong independent women she was before.
Jan 9, 2017 12:02 PM
Mar 2016
The last arc of SAO 2 is pretty good.
Jan 9, 2017 12:04 PM

Sep 2012
I think they just need to create something new with arc 1 but it is just me probably.

Also with same author I am sure again there will be a lot of plot holes.

I mean a lot.
Mar 30, 2017 8:32 AM
Mar 2016
It's really stupid but I wouldn't mind a long running series adaptation of progressive.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

164 by OneAutmmLeaf »»
Apr 21, 7:12 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

70 by Zimmu »»
Apr 21, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1445 by abahterunh »»
Apr 20, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

949 by Zark_42 »»
Apr 20, 7:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.