Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 27, 2010 3:13 PM

Aug 2007
It was quite good, but they talked too much. Seriously, they were talking WAY too much. 45 minutes of constant dialouges. XP beat's me, I'm finished for now, but i'm looking foward to the next episode.
Jan 27, 2010 3:45 PM

Oct 2008
Cloudy-Sky said:
Hmmm

I gave it 10/10 for the first ep. From my point of view it was absolutely perfect from every side.

Great Op/ending. Great chars.Great music. Great voice actors. Dunno i just loved it. I hope the rest of eps are as good as this one was.

I'm with you Cloudy-Sky. I'm not sure what all the bickering is about. Yes they could have not used so much dialog and yes they could painted a better picture, perhaps if it was a prequel. I think the problem everyone is having is that the amount of background information that they wanted to get across to everyone made the show feel rushed. I'm gonna think of it this way, the simplistic art design was beautiful, quite possibly even bad/good art that kept my attention at all times. I could care less if their mouths were constantly moving, because you could easily turn off the dialogue and just watch the beauty of the animation. I'm thinking that since this was an introductory episode, they following episodes probably won't have as much dialogue. But if you (Edit: Can't) read fast or don't speak Japanese then you better take a speed reading class. I'm really looking forward to the next episodes now. It looks like this story has a lot of potential and it's going to be beautiful while it plays out.
Orion1Jan 29, 2010 4:39 AM
Jan 27, 2010 3:45 PM
Jul 2008
Well i'd say i really like it - it had a calm and refreshing feeling to it. It's cool how fighting is only an addition to the story :)
As for watching people talking all the time - it really made me feel as if i were sitting in their hut. While most of animes would use some kind of flashback, you can already say that this one's different just after one ep, and i say it's a good thing.
Characters are fun - sure, she could show "thiiiiiiiis maaaany swords" but this would make them feel childish - you guys do realise the main char is at least 20? I personally don't use many gestures when talking with people at work or meeting with strangers and it's exactly what this episode was about.
The actual challenge is whether they can keep coming up with consistent characters :)

P.S. This didn't feel like Bakemonogatari at all for me - it had way more action, you had to keep your eyes all over the screen, while this one was actually calming for me.
Jan 27, 2010 4:43 PM

Oct 2008
Orion1 said:
I could care less if their mouths were constantly moving, because you could easily turn off the dialogue and just watch the beauty of the animation.

See, that's the thing though. While there definitely was splendid animation when it happend, there wasn't as much as I hoped for due to the excessive dialogue.

Orion1 said:
But if you can read fast or don't speak Japanese then you better take a speed reading class. I'm really looking forward to the next episodes now. It looks like this story has a lot of potential and it's going to be beautiful while it plays out.

Wait, did you mean "can read" or "can't read?" If you meant "can't" then I personally think doesn't make any sense to have to take a speed reading course for the pure sake of watching an animated story.

Orion1 said:
Characters are fun - sure, she could show "thiiiiiiiis maaaany swords" but this would make them feel childish - you guys do realise the main char is at least 20? I personally don't use many gestures when talking with people at work or meeting with strangers and it's exactly what this episode was about.

Who, you mean the girl? If so, then you gotta admit, she does kinda act a bit naive. Not a lot, but a little. And yes, many people such as you in real life wouldn't use many gestures when talking with people in real life such as the one I above example mentioned. But you still use gestures, even if it's subconsciously. You don't just absolutely stay still. And I don't know about everyone else, but I think it's okay to exaggerate gestures in animation. Not to ridiculous proportions of course, but still.
HypeathonJan 27, 2010 4:54 PM
Jan 27, 2010 5:37 PM
Jun 2009
i wasn't really fond of the art, but it was ok...
seems somewhat interesting...a bit of talking...but i suppose you could say it was needed...
Jan 27, 2010 5:42 PM

Jun 2009
I have to agree with some people here (the minority though) who think that the episode wasn't bad, but it was lacking.

Like Hypeathon already said, anime is supposed to be a visual medium...so use it!
It's not like I would have any problem with a huge load of narration, I like it if they use their time to explain instead of just act...
But this episode was like watching a modern reinactment of a play, where the actors sit on a bench and read their dialogue. It was surely good voice acting, animation quality was good too...but they just didn't make any proper use of the visual aspect.
Maybe they are trying to save money...but I bothered to read some later excerpts from the novel and the pattern doesn't change that much, it still stays 90% talking (which is typical of Nishio...it's just his style). And in cases like that I embrace post-modern approaches like Shaft's because at least they give me reason to actually WATCH it instead of just read it.
The minimal action that was delivered could have been replaced by some nicely drawn illustrations in a novel any time.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Jan 27, 2010 5:58 PM

Sep 2009
I'm giving it a "liked it" for now just cuz I'm still getting used to the animation style. It feels a bit off for me. They really don't show much emotion through their faces. But at the same time I like it. It's refreshing and new so it's just a matter of getting used to it. Also, I love the voice work and the writing. Great dialogue. Although the whole beach scene seemed a bit drawn out for just that quick little skirmish. But like I said, just a matter of getting used to it. Also, someone complained before about it being an hour long but I enjoyed it and didn't even realize it was that much longer. Signs of a good show. Lookin forward to the romance (which already started off weird but I like it)
Jan 27, 2010 5:59 PM

Sep 2009
Also. I thought the animation was spectacular. Everything just overflowed with colors and detail. Very pretty
Jan 27, 2010 6:01 PM

Oct 2008
seizonsha said:
Like Hypeathon already said, anime is supposed to be a visual medium...so use it!

It's not like I would have any problem with a huge load of narration, I like it if they use their time to explain instead of just act...
But this episode was like watching a modern reinactment of a play, where the actors sit on a bench and read their dialogue. It was surely good voice acting, animation quality was good too...but they just didn't make any proper use of the visual aspect.
Thank you!!

seizonsha said:
Maybe they are trying to save money...but I bothered to read some later excerpts from the novel and the pattern doesn't change that much, it still stays 90% talking (which is typical of Nishio...it's just his style).
Where do you even look for the light novel anyway? I honestly find it more difficult to find text from a light novel than anything else.
HypeathonJan 27, 2010 6:07 PM
Jan 27, 2010 6:49 PM

Jun 2009
I didn't have a problem with the episode itself, but I still have a problem. It was a good start and showed a lot of potential (I'd give it an 8/10), but honestly, seeing that it's more than half an hour and you've got a whole month to wait for the next episode, I expected better (don't get me wrong though, I still liked it; I just felt that it was lacking).

That aside, production was amazing, and Iwasaki Taku is awesome. I'm not too fond of the character designs, but everything else was beautiful to look at. And NisioIsin. I love the dialogue; it felt like Bakemonogatari to a certain degree.

Also "strategian" is not a word. It's strategist. Just sayin' because that's what the subs I watched with had.
Jan 27, 2010 6:59 PM

Nov 2009
Great. This show holds a lot of promise. A lot of the humor required you to be paying close attention. I laughed more during this episode than any other of a show this season.

I was picking up heavy Muramasa: The Demon Blade vibes from the promo and art (it's a Wii game, the sequel to Odin Sphere). Here's a screen:

Clearly, it won't be anything like it. I'm still in love with the art style of this show nonetheless.
Jan 27, 2010 7:08 PM

Jun 2007
Great story....bad graphics. I'm sorry, I just cant stand the look and feel of this show. I'll continue to give it a shot just like I do with all the other series I watch though. Hopefully I can get used to this abstract avatar like cartoon feeling.
Jan 27, 2010 7:30 PM
Jan 2010
Lovin' it. Decent music, beautiful show in general (it's incredibly nice to look at), and I am a fan of lots of dialogue (if I wasn't, oh how I would've hated Bakemonogatari), so this is a gift to me. Can't wait for next month's.
Jan 27, 2010 9:11 PM
Jul 2018
Hypeathon said:
DrIdiot said:
Hypeathon said:
Even if I watched the episode on subtitles and understood exactly what the characters said, would it have really been neccesary to tell the story from dialogue alone? I mean the creators could technically get away with that since they obviously did, but I felt it would've been far more effective and even professional to let the visuals, the scenes, the, animations, and staging tell the story itself since the story is being told through animation.

Not that I'm saying "don't have any dialogue at all," just not so much to the point where it subtitles are the only resort to comprehend what is going on in an animation, a visual story.

Telling a story through dialogue is just a different style. Other than the obvious fact that you don't like that particular style, you don't really have a point. ...I mean, you said before that you'd like action to explain a story. Action is one of the shittiest ways to tell a story. We all like some action, but it's an end, not a means. It's not a good narrative tool at all.
Okay, wait a minute. You wanna tell me that action is on of the shittiest ways to tell an animated story? Think about that for a moment.

Anyway, I think there's a misunderstanding here when I refer to "action" as telling the story. Unless you weren't thinking of it this way, by "action," I didn't mean in the "punches, kicks, throwing knives, and explosion" kind of sense. Rather by action, I mean through gesture and staging. So much of the dialogue in this episode I felt could have been better explained through different cutscenes or through body expressions.

For example, when the younger and supposedly more feeble girl was talking to the "strategist" about the ninja who followed her after they were attacked, there would've been more clarity if there was a cutscene that referred back to the ferryman. And maybe the ferryman could've made a subtle grin or something. Also, there was the part where the guy caught the sword with his arms, where apparently that technique he used was meant to "break" swords. Could've showed a cutscene that examplifies how that technique was suppose to break a sword. Otherwise, I would've honestly thought he was meant to stop the sword.

DarthVantos said:
Alot of background information, i think the dialogue would have been more interesting if they showed what was happening more than just talking about it.
Exactly! Like the whole explanation of "the shogun collecting so many swords in his lifetime" or whatever. Maybe the girl could've widened her arms at one point as a way of saying "he collected thiiiiisss many swords." Or maybe they could've just showed cutscenes of the shogun having possession of all these swords around him.

You're right, there was a misunderstanding. I interpreted action as fighting. And by that interpretation, I stand by what I said. Action (as in fighting) is an ends, not a means.

But still, dialogue is a very powerful narrative tool. The problem isn't that there's too much dialogue, it's that the dialogue is really fucking boring. It's that the dialogue is pretty much exposition.
Jan 27, 2010 9:50 PM

Dec 2008
A surprise, totally unexpected.

I thought this would be another crappy show like Sengoku Basara but I was wrong. The overall dialogue and expressions reminded me of Spice and Wolf; and that is enougt to keep watching it.

The seiyus were awesome as well and the soundtrack was amazing, can't wait to get my hands on it.

On the other hand, the animation it's my biggest concern. The eyes may be funny but look totally out of place. The overall animation of the characters reminded me of Pocahontas movies, and that did not impress me at all. The surroundings and spaces were good though.
Jan 27, 2010 9:53 PM

Sep 2008
I really liked this episode, and am hoping that it stays this beautiful.

The animation and colors were soft and pleasing to the eyes and the story was at least a little intriguing. Hopefully it can settle my expectations.

Gyafun
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 27, 2010 11:54 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
I actually really liked it. The dialogue was quirky and fun and I like the different art style.

Really loving Shichika x Togame :)
p r o f i l e 👀
Jan 28, 2010 12:02 AM

Jan 2009
I liked the art style which was pretty appealing. But the long drearily exposition seemed to go on and on. The dialogue between the ninja and shichika went on forever before they managed to duke it out and finished in a uneventful last secret ultimate move that shichika happened to create on the same day. A lot seemed to be crammed down the viewers throat in 1 episode. I don't mind this since this is essentially the introduction to the series. I'm hoping latter episodes focus more on the characters and having them be developed. Also whats with the dense main character shicika and falling over heals so easily and saying i love you when they just met a little awhile ago. I really hope shicika isn't as dense as this episode depicted him as. Cliche for a beginning but nothing dreadful.
Jan 28, 2010 12:19 AM

Jul 2009
Really get my attention..great stuff hope it will last long
Jan 28, 2010 12:21 AM

May 2009
nice plot ... hate the art.
I`M A MURDERER
Jan 28, 2010 2:32 AM

Mar 2008
Art is very refreshing. Looking nice.
Everything else is also looking promising. Might turn out very generic in the end, but for now this was a pretty good pick.
Jan 28, 2010 2:38 AM

Jan 2010
The first episode was great, I love the art it's pretty original and has a great feel to it...Rather then being generic like most anime today.
Jan 28, 2010 3:53 AM
Dec 2007
Great first episode. A nicely introducted story with compelling characters, unusual but quite good art and an above-average direction. It's still a bit too talkative for its own good (not as much as Bakemonogatari though) and maybe not overly funny, but it's a very good show undoubtedly.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jan 28, 2010 4:21 AM
Jan 2009
I don't know if this will be a "romance" story, but I fell for this almost 100% because of Togame's reaction when Shichika says he's fallen in love with her...

way too much like Taiga's reaction at the end of Toradora!!

kinda pathetic or otaku... but they are two scenes where my heart actually went "ba-dump" to a cartoon!! ;-D

too cute!! too moe!!
Jan 28, 2010 5:37 AM

Jan 2009
And ^that my friends, is a spoiler. : D So for anyone who's going to watch Toradora anytime, don't read the above statement ; D
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jan 28, 2010 6:23 AM
Feb 2009
Hello, I'm a new guy here (I actually have had the account for a while, but never really used it. Anyway, I found this topic interesting, so I'm going to share my on opinion on the show too.
Sorry for the length, I am just a guy who writes a lot (but relevant stuff, IMO).
Some spoilers existent.

I. Art
I do find it refreshing, since I am a little tired with watching shows with the style "I-have-seen-already-in-several-others-shows". Actually, for me, the art is one of the biggest selling points of the show. Why? Because it gives off a very nice and unique vibe . It's not bad that it's strange and looks off, it's the best thing about it (by strange, however, I don't mean "disturbing" or "ugly").
Also, try imagining the show with e.g. Sengoku Basara style. It would lose a lot of its charm, wouldn't it?

II. Handling the action
The funny thing is that only after I had read the topic, it occurred to me that the show had an enormous amount of text. Well, I guess they just went for something which can be called "novel style". Like in some visual novels, they just let the words describe everything and gave the viewer a free hand on imagining what they are talking about. Personally, I do love the idea.
However, trying to be unbiased, I must say that this show will be difficult to handle for those who are not into "we-talk-all-the-time" shows.
Also, I got a feeling that it will be a show, where the dialogs will not only serve as the main story-telling device, but will also make you aware that what happens behind the scenes may be as interesting as what shown on the screen.
P.S. Won't anyone agree that the depiction of the first scene was very nice? I mean the flashing eyes of Togame, which had some impact, because they emphasized that she was watching the massacre ALL the time.

III. Characters
a) Togame
Her completely asymmetrical outfit is a nice touch here, being a refreshing thing. Serious and klutzy girl with a fierce determination wields a promising development in the future. Her character is quite likable too.
(Love the eye. :D)
b) Shichika
As someone has already mentioned, this show fortunately does not suffer form "protagonist-is-a-failure-and-everybody-else-is-cool-around-him" disease. Hurray! His style is awesome too. Actually, making him a swordsman would spoil this show a lot. Also, his inability to fathom things around him is hilarious. I love the fact that he's an honest and simple guy, which makes him very likable. Also, I do wonder how his "love" will develop, because I guess he is not really aware what is going on.
Regarding his outfit in the future episodes... Am I the only one who Shichika reminds of Anji Mito from Guilty Gear series (only outfit-wise, though)?
c) Koumori
Nice baseball cap he has, right? xD
Even though I get the feeling that the show will be two-character-centric, I consider Togame and Shichika interesting enough to bear it (actually, I'm looking forward to it).

IV. Music
Iwasaki Taku did and excellent job here. What I find about his music interesting is the fact that it seems unnoticeable most of the time, while still creating the excellent background and during epic moments it suddenly appears in its full glory.
Another great selling point, since it perfectly "cooperates" with the art, creating the unique vibe. This show would really lose a lot without music being handled so nicely.

V. The World and Vibe
I can't say a lot about it already, but even though it looks pretty much generic, because of the general vibe the show has (art & music especially) I am looking forward to exploring it.

VI. Summary
Selling points:
- refreshing art with eerie fell to it
- music emphasizing the "odd" vibe
- (IMO) dialog-driven
- nice touches in characters
- no love-hate relationship (I'm tired with it)

Well... I did it again. I warned, I do write a lot. xD

I know that a lot has been written here already, but fell free to quote any part of my post and comment on it. ^^
Jan 28, 2010 6:26 AM

Jan 2009
WOAH
That's like.. A review meant for the last episode, or the series as a whole xD
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jan 28, 2010 9:53 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Oosran said:
WOAH
That's like.. A review meant for the last episode, or the series as a whole xD

same reaction here.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 28, 2010 10:05 AM

Jul 2009
Hmm not sure what to think about this, when I first read about it the story sounded somewhat interesting but after watching this episode I'm a bit split.

First off the art is absolutely horrendous and appalling and should never be used in anything that's aimed at people above 7..
Most of the dialogues where quite entertaining and enjoyable (kinda reminded me of spice and wolf in a way) but still a few parts just felt badly written.

As for the story so far it seems quite shallow and boring, and their "relationship" really felt out of place, especially the parts where she started to blush and acted like she had known him for some time and already where in love.. honestly..
And by the look of things they'll kiss in the next episode, it just feel a bit unnatural and rushed.

Also 12 swords, 12 episode, one fight and one sword collected per ep?
No this anime doesn't display allot of promise in my opinion.
Jan 28, 2010 10:10 AM

Dec 2007
this anime looks really awesome, ill be looking forward to the next episode and btw i also love that the episodes are like 50 minutes long :P
Jan 28, 2010 10:31 AM

Jan 2009
Yokurama said:
and btw i also love that the episodes are like 50 minutes long :P
Woah! : o It was 50min long? O.o
No wonder it took so long xD (Yeah I wasn't watching the episode in one run, was doing other stuffs as well)
Jan 28, 2010 11:17 AM

Aug 2008
Over-scripted, under-animated, and under-directed. This show felt like it was trying to do Shaft, but ended up feeling more like a Cartoon Network show (and not the good ones). Someone earlier hit the nail on the head when they said dialogue is embellishment, used to further characterize the cast, and open a different path for displaying relationships. This was all exposition. The only slightly clever moment of dialogue was the conversation inside the house where the sister talks about 1,000 not being a lot, and 100,000 being a lot, with the main guy agreeing with her.

On top of that, though, the character's faces and bodies were so lacking in expression that when the ninja guy was talking, I just felt like he was really over-acting, and it got on my nerves very quickly.

I didn't like it, but maybe it will get better now that they're through with the exposition.
Jan 28, 2010 12:39 PM

Apr 2007
The first episode wasn't that great, there was way too much talking and the main girl is annoying, but I like the character design and feel this could be very enjoyable. Good historical shows are so rare :<

Oosran said:
On a different note.. Why do them ninja-guys look like complete retards? ٩(๏_๏)۶
You should think of them more as different or creative :P

Though this guy made me laugh;
MonochromeJan 28, 2010 12:50 PM
Jan 28, 2010 12:51 PM

Jan 2009
Monochrome said:
Oosran said:
On a different note.. Why do them ninja-guys look like complete retards? ٩(๏_๏)۶

Oh, right, right, sorry 'bout that, I meant different or creative retards : 3
And that guy btw.. From what little I can see of his face, it looks upside-down O.o I mean, it looks like the nose goes upwards, and his eyebrows are below his eyes >.>
Jan 28, 2010 3:22 PM

Nov 2009
not bad... didn't expected to like this
the animation was a little odd for me but not bad

I really laughed at Shichika saying "I love you" at the end of the epi. what an odd way of saying it :D
Jan 28, 2010 3:38 PM

Dec 2006
Does this mean we are getting 12 episodes(according to MAL's listing) with each one 50 mins. , awesome.

But still needs less text and more action (I have seen Bakemonogatari so I know the style), the ultimate move was cool.

Jan 28, 2010 6:09 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
his moves reminds me of Fist of North Star somehow lol.

Despite the talking, the second half of the episode was pretty good.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 28, 2010 6:23 PM

Mar 2009
Hmm... just watched the subbed version... i got to say... a little too much talking and not enough action? I am hoping that since its the first episode they are using it to set the background. Let's see wat epi 2 will have...
K-ON v1.1 ... Please leave you comments on my profile! ^_^
Jan 28, 2010 7:37 PM

Jul 2009
Hm, i watched it now a second time..

I still like it, even more than when i watched it the first time. I had all the crithisizm in my mind while watching it again.

Why are there not many expressions and gesture? Think about it: 2 People living practically a live only as a family of 3, they don't need pretty much of them explaining themselves to each other. We use them mostly to give subtle messages, or to express something more clearly, but they never had to. The other one a self-proclaimed "stategian" surely doesn't want to give any hints how she really thinks, therefore only using language. But we saw her surprising face more than once and when she thought she was right, so i don't think there is a lack of expressions, moreover i think it fits perfectly.

About the dialouges and their lenght:
I thought it fits, too. The "Strategian" wants to fully describe her plan and seems to enjoy her own voice. The 2 isolated just wanting to keep up with their guest. The ninja trying to intimidate his enemy and later trying to convince him or rather distract him. And I also think, that some things they said are targeted on those who aren't in this stuff like most of us (When Koumori talked about Katanas), but this could alos be a coincidence.
But it was funny when Shichika complained about if everyone from the mainland talks so much.

And the love thing:
I don't think Shichika is already in love with her, nor does he knows what love is. He seems to aknowledge her or in some way admire her. Why do I think that? He was really surprised when he found out, that she's seeking the help of the man, who killed her father, alternatively the help of his son, quiet an obstacle to overcome in his thoughts. So he's just interested.
And Togame's reactions? If i'm right, she blushed 4 times now. First was when Koumori laughed about her attempt getting Shichika to work for her. The second was because of the compliment about her eyes. She also admitted, that he is attractive by saying something like "he has a strong body" and "not quiet bad looking" and "he would pass by that" (quotes are not really nailed, but they should catch most part of the meaning), so i think it was dedicated to his look. Then she gets a compliment from him, while she probably never thaught about this probability, even if she wants him to fall for her.
And also that she got betrayed most of the time and had to outdo her enemies with intelligence, so no room for feelings. Shichika's words were a charming surprise attack directly after giving up most of her hopes, which girl wouldn't blush on this background?
So how's a "strategian" handling this situation in which she gets more than she believed and in a way she never really thought of with an attractive man, who doesn't really care about anything happening so far, doing all this just for her sake? Sooo if she would have a clear mind it would be, in my opinion, unrealistic to not blush while talking about Shichika and what happened or will happen and her own behaviour ("you sure are a kind woman" -> blush (whatever she thought about in that moment)).

I hope i made my thoughts understandable enough.

And yay, awesome fighting!
And yay again, awesome main charakter!

And anyone noticed, that the fighting stances of Shichika are named after flowers, or that the whole scenery (Clothes for example) display flowers?
Even if our opinions differ, you are awesome!
Jan 28, 2010 11:11 PM

Aug 2008
I hated the episode... was not enjoyable to watch. Places in drop bin.
Jan 28, 2010 11:18 PM

Apr 2007
Oosran said:
Monochrome said:
Oosran said:

Oh, right, right, sorry 'bout that, I meant different or creative retards : 3
And that guy btw.. From what little I can see of his face, it looks upside-down O.o I mean, it looks like the nose goes upwards, and his eyebrows are below his eyes >.>
Heh, I actually didn't notice that. Not sure about the eyes, but that's just how they draw noses. It still wouldn't surprise me if he flipped his head around xD And he's not even the strangest looking guy. I think the bee and crow are about even with him lol
Jan 28, 2010 11:29 PM
Oct 2007
Interesting story, poor execution. I like some of what I saw but it took me a while to figure out what it was I didn't like. I can understand why there is heavy dialogue. This is a light novel adaptation after all, and not just any light novel, but that of Nisio Isin--same writer as Bakemonogatari. The art was great and the animation was smooth, but watching scenes involving conversations were like taking sleeping pills. The directing didn't make the dialogues interesting, at all, and the characters even felt very one dimensional. There was no impact. A talk between Hitagi and Araragi was fun to watch and listen to because there was rhythm and nice "punches." A talk between Togame and Shichika is boring and seems scripted, read, flat.

For now, I can only accept this level of directing and hope it improves, because I really like the art, the concept, and the potential relationship development between Togame and Shichika. However, I honestly wish SHAFT, Shinbou had done the dialogue portion and WHITE FOX the action. If only.
Jan 29, 2010 12:21 AM

Sep 2009
I enjoyed this episode, despite the extensive dialogue. I will definitely continue to watch.

(I think this is the first anime show I saw with episodes this long, I wouldn't mind if this happened more often)
Jan 29, 2010 1:26 AM

Sep 2007
An interesting start. It provided the backstory of this world but I think the dialogue was slightly dragged out, especially the attempted clever parts between Shichika and Koumori. Hopefully the next episode will have less dialogue and more stuff happening but other than that, pretty good production values. Backdrops and scenary were pretty nice and the music was good too. I can see Shichika and Togame having a cute little relationship in the future.
Jan 29, 2010 5:00 AM

Oct 2008
Hypeathon said:
Orion1 said:

Yaaaaa.. I didn't say that. I feel like I'm on fox news here. But thanks for correcting my typo.

Basically after reading all the criticism, I still liked the the art design and feel that this show has potential. However, I do agree with Notehero about the character designs being reminiscent to newer American animation shows on CN. People this isn't necessary a bad thing. As for all the exposition it is what is, an introduction. If they would have tried to explain all the background with the use of flashback in one episode it would have felt even more rushed and probably wouldn't have flowed well. The concentration of the episode was supposed to be on the protagonists. The wordiness of the dialogue and the art really did just seem like a stylistic approach that people are either going to really hate or enjoy.
Jan 29, 2010 7:09 AM

Mar 2008
I LOVE IT. End of. Expecting much more :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 29, 2010 8:21 AM

Apr 2009
Meh, everybody's criticising, but I liked it :)
Shichika and his sister's 'That's not much' talk was priceless, as was his surprise kick. 'Now that I look, it's Togame?' I have a feeling I'll really like him :)
I think his seiyuu is doing a very good job, despite this being his, what, 3rd role?
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jan 29, 2010 10:02 AM
Nov 2008
Cenedess said:
Meh, everybody's criticising, but I liked it :)
Shichika and his sister's 'That's not much' talk was priceless, as was his surprise kick. 'Now that I look, it's Togame?' I have a feeling I'll really like him :)
I think his seiyuu is doing a very good job, despite this being his, what, 3rd role?

Agreed. I hate bad VA but this one is more than satisfying. OST is damn good too and I like the art.

If this story is from the creator of bakemonogatari there' no wonder why they talk so much but i really hope they just did it to set the background and the next eps will be less dialogue-heavy.
Jan 29, 2010 3:13 PM

Nov 2008
So they just left Nanami (who is sick even!) alone on the island in a broken house? Sorry but that's the only part of the episode that didn't make sense to me at all. The rest was pretty awesome but I hope the next ep will have less talking and more action.
Jan 29, 2010 3:14 PM

Sep 2008
OMFG I survived the eps....

So much talking....
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hana-kei - Apr 16, 2010

420 by valennienana »»
Apr 22, 6:30 AM

» END SPOILERS - I’ve Never Witnessed Such Epic Implosion

deaf_amish_guy - Jun 6, 2020

10 by Nesquikscope »»
Mar 31, 1:16 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 8, 2010

180 by ariharan_ars »»
Feb 3, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Dec 10, 2010

631 by I_LIKE_ANIME_SO »»
Jan 3, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

bautrey37 - May 23, 2010

163 by Aldones »»
Feb 18, 2023 7:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.