Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 1, 2016 6:11 AM

Feb 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Awful kid, making so many monsters because he was afraid of living alone.
Sep 23, 2016 6:49 AM
Aug 2016
This kid was the boss. xD
Better than the first OVA.
Mar 7, 2017 8:08 PM

Jan 2012
Art is pretty strange in this one , maybe not from same studio i guess.

Jul 19, 2017 7:59 AM

Dec 2015
Another interesting aspect of immortality is explored here with less efficiency than the 1st OAV. The chara-design is too far away from Takahashi's style, music really bland.

Enjoyment:3.5-/5
Score: 5/10
Dec 19, 2018 6:13 PM

May 2017
Biiiitch, this was an awesome OVA. Very different from the first one, maybe even better. I personally liked it a lot. Looking forward to the newer series!
Aug 31, 2019 4:37 PM

Sep 2017
I watched this for my 2019 AWC.

I felt absolutely nothing while watching this OVA. When one says they "felt nothing," it can mean a variety of things, usually with negative connotations. However, my reaction isn't necessarily positive or negative. I just genuinely feel nothing. This was one of the most average pieces of animation I have ever seen in my entire life. It wasn't great but it wasn't the worst thing I have ever seen. It's an interesting anime to have in my catalog just so I can go "Okay, now I know what an average show genuinely looks like."

As far as audiovisuals go, Mermaid's Scar was fine. I don't like commenting on voice acting very often, because some people watch dubs and some watch subs, so it isn't a very consistent critique. Fortunately, with Mermaid's Scar both versions suck! The Japanese voice acting was quite below average and the English voice acting was bloated and nearly blew my headphones out. The Japanese subs were terrible too. I of course won't dock any points for either of these complaints because again, voice acting quality varies and I seem to have just gotten a bad fansubber (not like many good fansubbers are subbing something this insignificant). The art style was flat and uninteresting. The monsters were kind of cool, but that was the only thing that stood out to me. The story was pretty good for the small amount of time given, all things considered. I wish they would have actually killed the kid because that would have been something I'd never seen before, but oh well. My biggest gripe came from the characters. The antagonist got a decent amount of development, way more than anyone else, but I just can't feel anything towards an 800 year-old shota villain. It's just hilarious. Everyone else was one note and unexceptional. Apparently Mana is immortal too? I guess that was probably mentioned in the prequel but it should have at least been brought up for a line or two here. I learned more about these characters from their MAL pages than I did from the movie. That isn't good.

In conclusion, I give this movie an eh/10. I wouldn't recommend it, but for what it was, it was okay. 5/10.

May 10, 2020 1:09 AM
Jul 2018
I enjoyed it.. felt bad for the boy.. some things are unclear but, doesn't really bother me..

the song at the end was really good.
Mar 29, 2021 6:09 AM

Aug 2011
This kid goes to the list of most cruel ones. People are not some objects to keep him a company, but I guess he is too little to understand that. The only question I got is how three grown people couldn't handle one kid xD

I love Takahashi's darker works and I enjoyed this as well.
Jan 9, 2023 11:18 AM

Jan 2018
Poor Yukie. :( Her intentions were pure and she didn't deserve this fate. That brat Masato got what he deserved.

Can't say I enjoyed this as much as Mermaid Forest. The studio for Mermaid Forest was Pastel and Mermaid's Scar was animated by Madhouse. The new character design by Kumiko Takahashi doesn't really look like Rumiko Takahashi's style as Rei_III stated (I like how they have similar names). She also provided the character design for Urusei Yatsura Movie 6 Always My Darling which I also don't like much.

The music of this OVA is also not that good compared to the last OVA which is a shame. But I really liked the ending theme.

That brings an end to watching all the pre-2000s OVAs of Rumiko Takahashi. Next, I'll watch the Rumiko Takahashi Anthology, followed by the 2003 Remake of the Mermaid Saga.
Jan 15, 3:08 PM

Aug 2017
Good OVA, I really like the aspect of immortality they treated here, Masato is one of the most evil kids I've seen and poor Yukie got one of the worst fates in animes,
The OST was ok, the previous OVA got a better one, and the story felt a little short, but I really liked the plot-twist in revealing the real villain,
I'll give it a 9, and now I'll got watch the animated series, I hope it's good.

More topics from this board

» Link to English subtitled Mermaids Scar?

Tokis86 - Jul 4, 2016

1 by Otaku20000 »»
Sep 23, 2016 6:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.