Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 18 Discussion

Feb 4, 11:00 PM

Bernkishi07 said:
That Rem x Subaru ship sunk faster than the Titanic.

HOLY SHIT is this true lmao. My heart hurts, she's so sweet how could Subaru not chane his mind after all that? I wasn't even close to the Rem ship before this episode. Had to pause at his rejection

Feb 27, 8:28 AM
Love this chapter. It is, without a doubt, one of my favorites. It even made me shed some tears. The scenes of the conversation between Rem and Subaru really touched my heart. I think anyone would fall in love with someone who told him the words that Rem told Subaru. Simply beautiful.

Feb 27, 6:17 PM
thot patrol
Piegoose said:
Bernkishi07 said:
That Rem x Subaru ship sunk faster than the Titanic.

HOLY SHIT is this true lmao. My heart hurts, she's so sweet how could Subaru not chane his mind after all that? I wasn't even close to the Rem ship before this episode. Had to pause at his rejection

i lowkey want a spin off with the whole scenario rem had in my mind

Feb 28, 12:53 AM

@_Goko
Well, there are Rem IF chapters, with almost exactly that.

Mar 15, 5:45 PM
One has to love Rem. Hands down the best girl in this story.
The fact that she loves Subaru altough he is an utterly idiot makes her even more incredible.

Sadly we all knew since long ago that he is to delusional and will chase after Emilia for the rest of his life. And I still feel that his "love" for her is superficial.

Come to think of, most romances in anime and manga are between the main characters. I wish they had broken that and went with a main character x side character romance.

But I am glad that we finally saw some characterprogression for Subaru. Took only 18 (!!!) episodes, but hey, better late than never.
Modified by tr25a3, Mar 15, 6:23 PM

Mar 16, 4:47 PM

tr25a3 said:
One has to love Rem. Hands down the best girl in this story.
The fact that she loves Subaru altough he is an utterly idiot makes her even more incredible.

Sadly we all knew since long ago that he is to delusional and will chase after Emilia for the rest of his life. And I still feel that his "love" for her is superficial.

Come to think of, most romances in anime and manga are between the main characters. I wish they had broken that and went with a main character x side character romance.

But I am glad that we finally saw some characterprogression for Subaru. Took only 18 (!!!) episodes, but hey, better late than never.

Yea, Tappei is writing and building the characters in story for the long haul so he is taking his time. The anime only adapts the prologue of the story, which is mainly all about setting up Subaru as one of the main characters. Nearly every character interaction points towards that.
'The version of me that lives within you must be amazing. She can understand everything, even if you don't explain it to her'

Mar 20, 10:48 PM
Ughh... the cringe is strong in this one. Fuck I hate these overly dramatic forced emotional scenes and Subaru being quite the pathetic idiot is not helping this either. Rem just told Subaru that she loves him and then Subaru started talking about loving another girl and shit, when a girl confesses like that the least she wants to hear is her man talking about another girl, quite the fucking cringe this episode was goddamn.

The beginning was pretty good but that pathetic stupid clown villain is getting on my nerves, he acts like a retard so not only does this show has a pathetic main character but it has one of the most pathetic villains I have ever seen.

I really hope this shit changes from now on because at this point I want this anime to end, I hate stopping an anime when I'm this far ahead. Fuck.
Modified by xZabuzax, Mar 20, 10:52 PM

Mar 22, 6:13 AM

xZabuzax said:
Ughh... the cringe is strong in this one. Fuck I hate these overly dramatic forced emotional scenes and Subaru being quite the pathetic idiot is not helping this either. Rem just told Subaru that she loves him and then Subaru started talking about loving another girl and shit, when a girl confesses like that the least she wants to hear is her man talking about another girl, quite the fucking cringe this episode was goddamn.

Speaking of the anime, well, she rejects Subaru first and then confesses, if that makes sense.

She did her best to be honest with him, so the least he could do was be honest to himself and to her. It would have been bad if he said he loved her too, but deep down he wants someone else.

The main character is a big retard however, no doubt. His past life as a hikkikomori left him with poor social skills to the point he treated every one as video game characters early on.
'The version of me that lives within you must be amazing. She can understand everything, even if you don't explain it to her'

Mar 25, 9:55 PM
I don't understand...I can't really support Subaru's love if his relation with Emilia is so...undeveloped?
On the other hand, there's Rem who's been shown killing herself for him and who's got amazing dialogue these last episodes, I really thought this episode was for him to have a change of heart...but...no...

I don't understand...so I'll just sit here and cry with Rem.

(At least he understands what he is now)

Mar 26, 1:38 AM

Asarina said:
I don't understand...I can't really support Subaru's love if his relation with Emilia is so...undeveloped?
On the other hand, there's Rem who's been shown killing herself for him and who's got amazing dialogue these last episodes, I really thought this episode was for him to have a change of heart...but...no...

That doesn't make sense.

Rem only just likes him now after going throughout an arc of killing and torturing him. How that more developed than his relationship with Emilia? Subaru should just drop his feelings for the one person who been benefactor throughout show and for recency bias? You only saying his because your entirely focused on Rem's feelings and not Subaru's at all. That's terrible.

If Emilia saving Subaru and being entirely responsible for life he can live right means anything to him than Rem should not dissuade him so easily to throw it all for her. Subaru's relationship with Rem parallels his with Emilia so basically asking Rem to abandon all her efforts and sacrifices for him for another person.
Modified by Jagd84, Mar 26, 2:50 AM

Mar 26, 2:38 AM

Asarina said:

To be fair, the pattern you should notice from the audience's viewpoint is that Rem is shown killing herself for Subaru, similarly to how Subaru is shown going through hell for Emilia. Perhaps consider being in Emilia's shoes and observe the whole situation again.

Not explicitly shown but mentioned a couple of times in the anime, that there was 1 month period of peace/bliss between episode 12 and 13. Subaru has had more time around Emilia, than Rem (something the latter also admits to).

You are not wholly wrong about the episode though, he had a change of heart where it actually mattered :)

As for why it seems under-developed, if you think about it as said, it's no different than Subaru's relation with Rem. The only difference is that Emilia doesn't explicitly know how much of hell Subaru has gone through, because of plot device reasons (Satella).

As an audience, you just happen to be aware of the Rem's back-story. Really, the main complaint you could have about the show so far is that any form of Emilia's development with Subaru was ruined by Satella.

There are 2 main characters after all, not just Subaru. It would have been outright weird of all kinds if Emilia drops her ambitions (her main desire for becoming the ruler, not shown in the anime) for the sake of someone she just met at some random shack in a slum.

Keeping the story in mind, it was Rem's turn to serve her purpose in season 1, not Emilia's. Short term vs long term developments if you would rather. In any case, perhaps you will understand every character's role in season 2 when you look back at season 1 retrospectively, if you are unable to do so now. :)

Mar 26, 5:29 AM
KreatorX said:
Asarina said:

To be fair, the pattern you should notice from the audience's viewpoint is that Rem is shown killing herself for Subaru, similarly to how Subaru is shown going through hell for Emilia. Perhaps consider being in Emilia's shoes and observe the whole situation again.

Not explicitly shown but mentioned a couple of times in the anime, that there was 1 month period of peace/bliss between episode 12 and 13. Subaru has had more time around Emilia, than Rem (something the latter also admits to).

You are not wholly wrong about the episode though, he had a change of heart where it actually mattered :)

As for why it seems under-developed, if you think about it as said, it's no different than Subaru's relation with Rem. The only difference is that Emilia doesn't explicitly know how much of hell Subaru has gone through, because of plot device reasons (Satella).

As an audience, you just happen to be aware of the Rem's back-story. Really, the main complaint you could have about the show so far is that any form of Emilia's development with Subaru was ruined by Satella.

There are 2 main characters after all, not just Subaru. It would have been outright weird of all kinds if Emilia drops her ambitions (her main desire for becoming the ruler, not shown in the anime) for the sake of someone she just met at some random shack in a slum.

Keeping the story in mind, it was Rem's turn to serve her purpose in season 1, not Emilia's. Short term vs long term developments if you would rather. In any case, perhaps you will understand every character's role in season 2 when you look back at season 1 retrospectively, if you are unable to do so now. :)

I hadn't noticed there was a period of a month that had passed :0

It makes more sense the way you say it and I hadn't seen it that way since I didn't consider Emilia as a main character. I'll try to see it that way from now on :) I felt it was not developed enough because all I thought happened between them (not considering what has been erased by Subaru's death) is that...lap nap?
Maybe I forgot some scenes or mixed some scenes that were erased by death with others that weren't.
Still, from a viewer's perspective, I see Subaru going through hell for a girl whosaved him from hoodlums and who doesn't remember it. And we didn't really see more of her...What she thinks, who she is, how she talks, and how she feels.
Maybe it's just me, but without these, I failed to get attached to Emilia.
I like your answer though! I think it'll help me with the last couple of episodes ^v^
Have a good day!
Modified by Asarina, Mar 26, 5:39 AM

Mar 26, 6:06 AM

Asarina said:

I hadn't noticed there was a period of a month that had passed :0

It makes more sense the way you say it and I hadn't seen it that way since I didn't consider Emilia as a main character. I'll try to see it that way from now on :) I felt it was not developed enough because all I thought happened between them (not considering what has been erased by Subaru's death) is that...lap nap?
Maybe I forgot some scenes or mixed some scenes that were erased by death with others that weren't.
Still, from a viewer's perspective, I see Subaru going through hell for a girl whosaved him from hoodlums and who doesn't remember it. And we didn't really see more of her...What she thinks, who she is, how she talks, and how she feels.
Maybe it's just me, but without these, I failed to get attached to Emilia.
I like your answer though! I think it'll help me with the last couple of episodes ^v^
Have a good day!

Small correction, I think it was episode 11 where Subaru saves Rem from the dog beasts? In episode 12, I recall Reinhardt in the royal court stating that they found a new candidate around a month ago (Felt).

Also, that 'date' with Emilia that Subaru had really struggled for, happens in that 1 month period and the Memory Snow OVA (to be on sale sometime later this year) covers that.

Yes, admittedly it gets a little confusing keeping in check which timeline happened when and whose perspective to consider. I picked up these details on subsequent rewatches :]

About getting attached to Emilia, I do see where you are coming from. As an audience you went in expecting a backstory or more screen time like Subaru to better relate with her status as a main character from the get-go. She felt like some side character, right?

It's going to be a reasonably fleshed out story, so I'd say season 1 was all about preparing and seasoning Subaru for the audience (and setting him up for future plots). Season 2 is going to be Emilia's turn as well.

A nice day to you too :-)
Modified by KreatorX, Mar 26, 6:13 AM

Mar 26, 6:58 AM

@Asarina

The lap pillow is the canon loop. It's in fact what led to Rem to start changing her mind about Subaru and see him a like Emilia did. While it is true Emilia herself is not as fleshed out as Rem is the first 3 arcs from narrative perspective, it has little bearing her relationship with Subaru who likes because of her personality and fact she has saved looked out for him. It is the same with Rem who likes Subaru because he saved her, not due to how much she knows about him which is very little.

Apr 14, 5:51 PM
So I finally see why Rem is such a popular character after all these years. Good episode. I think Rem and Subaru are both broken on the inside. They both realize that and start working to improve themselves going forward. When Subaru rejected Rem and started talking about Emilia. I thought Rem was going to break out the ball and chain and beat him with it ^_^.

I guess this is going to be a love triangle perhaps? IDK how Emilia feels, so maybe not!?

In all my years of watching anime, the girl on the front cover of the source material (manga, light novel or VN) always win. It always that way. No matter the twist and turns the story may take, she always wins in the end. Only once did I see it not go that way.
Modified by TheKoopaKing, Apr 14, 6:00 PM

Apr 21, 7:44 PM

i like rem as a character but i really do like emilia in terms of personality better. i can see why rem is the most popular girl for a waifu here, and his rejection was pretty cruel..

May 1, 6:46 PM
Definitely #TeamRem now.

After what Rem said to Subaru, he manages to say he loves Emilia in front of Rem (I wonder if he's wrong in the head)

RoneCraft

On-hold is another way for a completionist to say DROPPED

May 2, 12:50 AM

RoneCraft said:
Definitely #TeamRem now.

After what Rem said to Subaru, he manages to say he loves Emilia in front of Rem (I wonder if he's wrong in the head)

Think of it this way: Rem refuses Subaru's decision to run away with him first, and then proceeds to lay down that fluff story about the future with them together. What was she actually trying to achieve here?

Also, it would make Subaru appear as a rather poor character (or, wrong in the head) if he was to be dishonest with her at that point of self-reflection.
Modified by KreatorX, May 2, 12:56 AM

May 2, 5:35 AM
KreatorX said:
RoneCraft said:
Definitely #TeamRem now.

Think of it this way: Rem refuses Subaru's decision to run away with him first, and then proceeds to lay down that fluff story about the future with them together. What was she actually trying to achieve here?

Also, it would make Subaru appear as a rather poor character (or, wrong in the head) if he was to be dishonest with her at that point of self-reflection.

hmhm true...

Well he would be wrong in the head anyways.
RoneCraft

On-hold is another way for a completionist to say DROPPED

May 4, 3:07 PM

So let me get this clear;

- Subaru asked and pleaded with Rem to run away with him to start anew and also told her he loved her.
- Rem declines but instead raises his spirit up while telling him she loves him as well.
- Subaru regains his new found spirit and confidence because of Rem's encouragement and confession.
- Subaru now rejects Rem since he's gotten the courage to push forward so he can be with Emilia.

Subaru is such a dirthbag with that narrative.
The writing on this chapter/episode should've been reworked. Rem's encouragement and speech to uplift Subaru was really good but they should've added her saying "eventhough you're with me far away starting over, you'll still be thinking of her (Emilia) so I know you'll never be truly happy even when you hold me close." Line.
At least it would be a bittersweet rejection from her rather than an all out confession that resulted in ZERO outcome for her.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.

May 5, 2:53 AM

Janethan23 said:
So let me get this clear;

- Subaru asked and pleaded with Rem to run away with him to start anew and also told her he loved her.
- Rem declines but instead raises his spirit up while telling him she loves him as well.
- Subaru regains his new found spirit and confidence because of Rem's encouragement and confession.
- Subaru now rejects Rem since he's gotten the courage to push forward so he can be with Emilia.

Subaru is such a dirthbag with that narrative.
The writing on this chapter/episode should've been reworked. Rem's encouragement and speech to uplift Subaru was really good but they should've added her saying "eventhough you're with me far away starting over, you'll still be thinking of her (Emilia) so I know you'll never be truly happy even when you hold me close." Line.
At least it would be a bittersweet rejection from her rather than an all out confession that resulted in ZERO outcome for her.

Heavily restricting my answer to an anime only perspective :

Why would that make him a dirt bag after all that? It was more like he was acting like one to Rem by asking her to run away with him. Sure, given his predicament, his mental state was understandable. However asking someone to run away with you involves another person's future. Basically, he would be leading her on. Rem did herself a favour by rejecting his idea first.

And he was being honest to her about his commitments. Rem's outcome was to put Subaru back on his feet since he is not acting as himself. In short, she got what she wanted.

It maybe be helpful to consider the timeline where Subaru only survives, as it clears up a few things on how people around him see his behaviour:-

Rem barely has had time to interact with Subaru, she doesn't know him well and has not shared any of the tragic experiences. In her eyes, Subaru had always been headstrong for Emilia and he suddenly went off-track and switched gears to her? What could be her real outcome in this timeline ?

Hope that clears it up somehow.
Modified by KreatorX, May 5, 5:29 AM

May 5, 10:55 PM

-Such a captivating and heartwarming episode. The voice acting and directing were commendable!

-Rem is such a champ for confessing her love to him, all the while knowing that Subaru loved Emilia. Poor Rem. My heart aches for her so, for 'twas was not meant to be. I'm impressed that he was honest with her after all of that rather than lying. Sure he had wanted to run away with her at the beginning of the episode, but under his mental state at the time he just wanted to flee and have any ally beside him, and obviously Emilia wasn't going to be able to do so with that option.

-Despite his experiences with Rem in recent episodes and the propensity to which she would sacrifice for him, he was pursuing Emilia from the start and had sacrificed for her sake. While Rem x Subaru would be a very nice ship given what we've seen transpire, and one that I'm onboard given where I'm at in the show, technically he never developed romantic feelings for Rem so I can't expect him to suddenly have a change of heart just because she herself loves him. I'm not quite onboard with Emilia x Subaru, however if Person A loves Person B, and Person C unilaterally sacrifices and professes their love to Person A, then it doesn't mean that Person A is necessarily obligated to switch, even if it might be the better option from an outsider's perspective... But how much will Emilia requite Subaru's love, because right now it's just a chain of heartbreak. She has helped him tremendously though, as he wouldn't be here without her, but I'd like to see more intimate and heartfelt moments between them, love as opposed to merely aid.

May 6, 8:50 PM

Janethan23 said:

He did not say this, hell Subaru didn't really explain his reasons for wanting to runaway. It's not like he could as WoE would stop him just like she did in Ep 13 and 17 when he has tried to talk Emilia about it.

Jun 9, 8:35 AM
"How dare this fictional character in a cartoon love one fictional character over another?"

Jun 14, 7:51 AM
Rem is a love warming character and I can understand people loving Rem more than Emilia. Emilia is pure. That's it (for now...) He doesn't love Emilia. He loves the idea of Emilia. That's my opinion.
perkunos.blogspot.com

Jun 19, 7:03 PM

Paulo_Goncalves said:
Rem is a love warming character and I can understand people loving Rem more than Emilia. Emilia is pure. That's it (for now...) He doesn't love Emilia. He loves the idea of Emilia. That's my opinion.

Sure but it's still not true. It's becasue his feelings are genuine he can say what he did to Rem and it's why he hasn't runaway before now. He's also sacrificed his life for Emilia just as Rem did for him and reason she rejected his offer to escape Luguincia because it did not match how she saw him. So it is pretty hypocritical to say he loves the idea of Emilia and not that about Rem as well. Her life doesn't hold more weight than his. Basically even if he likes Rem he can't let go his feelings for Emilia they real and would make everything he done up to now meaningless. It also mean the Rem is wrong about him struggling through darkness because he does care that much even if he's clumsy about it.
Modified by Jagd84, Jun 19, 7:23 PM

Aug 16, 5:37 AM

Okay, this is probably the episode to talk about shipping. First up, I think that Emilia is best girl. Rem fits Subaru better though, they both have some moments in which you just wanna smack them and ask what the fuck is wrong with them.

Aug 30, 5:06 PM

Haha I now finally look at "I love Emilia" memes guilt free knowing I'm no longer seeing a spoiler. I've thought about the ships quite a bit, and can see reasons for both. I have no complaints with his choice. Emilia is the first person he really met after all.

Anyway that shit doesn't matter in the slightest. What's really important here is Subaru finally admitted to himself what a shitty person he was. That was what we needed since like ep 13. It was very well done. He just needed someone to say "idc if you're shit, I'll stil stay by your side and help." I believe Emilia would have done the same if this breakdown happened in front of her, but there are reasons both logistical and personal (for Subaru) as to why it would be harder to have this same conversation with her.

Sep 23, 7:16 PM
F*ck Subaru, end.

Sep 26, 9:27 PM

This episode hit me personally very hard. I don't know if it's just funny or sad or maybe both if you see so much of Subaru in yourself. After this episode I wished I had my own Rem. It was like her words were also meant for me. I guess that's also the reason my eyes welled up so much during the whole conversation.

I can't blame Subaru for giving up in such a situation. He made mistakes there's no doubt, but even with that it wasn't like he didn't try anything. All these cruel experiences will affect someone sooner or later. And in his age it's an absolute normal reaction. Rem saved him. That's also the reason he couldn't understand why she wants to help him at first. If you think of yourself as the worst person and someone says "I don't care what you think about yourself, I will be on your side no matter what", it must be seem so unreal.

But I knew even when she confessed him her love that there won't be the same feelings for her, because Subaru loves Emilia. This is so bittersweet. I'm just so glad Subaru came to his mind and realized that his actions in the past were inappropriate and stupid.

From that I honsetly have no clue what both of them can do to change this whole situation. Very well done White Fox and amazing job at the va's.

Oct 6, 1:34 PM

All that build-up to rejection. OMEGALUL

Oct 28, 12:23 PM
Best episode so far and I believe this would stay the episode from the anime re zero. In this episode nothing happened other then dialogue but that is the most fun part. Ocean of emotions! That is the best way to explain it. I was shocked when Subaru said "run away with me" to rem. I was extremely joyful at that time with tears rolling from my eyes. And when rem start taking about how she wants to live with Subaru and grow older with him ahh that was heart touching man. Even tho I know rem got rejected in my imagination Rem x Subaru is a couple in love for internity.

Pages (35) « First ... « 33 34 [35]