Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 31, 2016 8:15 AM

Jun 2016

Is this even funny?? I could not laugh while watching this!

Tomoko Kurokis problem in this anime is not that she don't have friends, because she have friends, it is that she can't talk with people. I think her class is a very good class, since no one is teasing her
InoUchihaJun 20, 2017 11:00 AM
Jul 31, 2016 8:18 AM

Apr 2015
It wasn't sad or funny, just the biggest cringefest I've ever seen. And it felt even worse to watch because I basically am Tomoko.
Jul 31, 2016 8:19 AM

Dec 2014
I couldn't manage to watch more than 6 episode... is too damn depressing.
Jul 31, 2016 8:43 AM

Jun 2016
To be honest I did find some of the moments of this show funny, But I did feel empathy towards the MC.

And did enjoy the show a lot, and how tomoko develops through the this short series.
At first she is delusional, with over the top Expectations.
But at the end, she does realise how lonely she is, and her goals changes from wanting to be popular to just wanting some to hang out with.
And at the end she does try something she wouldn't have considered at first.. Asking someone else for help.

Looking at how the manga goes, I would personally love for this show to continue, as Tomoko now as people around her.. and the premise is slowly changing

Lina inverse is best girl prove me wrong
Jul 31, 2016 10:20 AM

Jun 2016
There were funny moments but most of the time I wanted to comfort Tomoko or watch anime with her.
Jul 31, 2016 10:23 AM

Oct 2014
I gave it a 3, the same score I gave Glasslip, so I think that's enough to demonstrate my opinion on it. The only good thing about it is the OP.
Jul 31, 2016 10:26 AM

Jul 2016
I absolutely loathed watching it. It's depressing, gross, and I honestly couldn't laugh at it.

I know it's supposed to be a comedy and all, but Tomoko didn't develop whatsoever. The show failed for me in aspects like that. It doesn't work for me as a comedy, but it doesn't work as a character study either.
Jul 31, 2016 10:27 AM

Apr 2016
It's a true story of every girl weeb :3
Jul 31, 2016 2:49 PM

May 2016
Avilo said:
I know it's supposed to be a comedy and all, but Tomoko didn't develop whatsoever.

WataMote is easily one of the funniest anime I've ever seen. Yes, it's really, really cringe-y. But that's the point. And that's what makes it so painfully hilarious. The episode with Tomoko's younger cousin made me want to implode with shame and horror, and it's fuckin' brilliant.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jul 31, 2016 3:05 PM

Feb 2013
I laughed way too hard, people say that the ones that says it wasnt funny is because they related too her, well, I related too her a lot, and I still laughed.

Jul 31, 2016 3:28 PM

Nov 2015
I don't think it was really funny or sad, just cringy and relatable. VERY relatable.
Jul 31, 2016 3:34 PM

Jul 2015
It was ok I guess. I gave it a 7. Was funny in places, but cringey in others. I wouldn't waste time on it though because it literally is just this one girl who does nothing to overcome her anti-socialness, which is the true sadness of this anime.

Overall wasted oppotunity especially with the MC.
Jul 31, 2016 3:40 PM
Jun 2014
I don't think was funny, just really depressing. The jokes just made me feel sorry for her, so I couldn't really get through it.
Jul 31, 2016 3:59 PM
Nov 2015
Cringeworthy indeed and I beleive the anime creators of this thought "Hey let's do a story about the failed life of a loner". I will say it did a good job in doing so and stay sort of realistic rather than heading into fantasy land like NHK. Best thing about the anime:Opening theme
Jul 31, 2016 4:07 PM

Sep 2013
I managed to watch 8 episodes, then I dropped it because it seemed to be repetitive and I felt literally "disgusted" and depressed :|
Jul 31, 2016 4:51 PM

May 2014
Absolutely hilarious, I even continued reading the manga after, it's great <3
"Oh Dear" ~ Kanade Tachibana
Jul 31, 2016 4:55 PM
Jul 2018
It is pretty funny and i'm loving the manga, it is one of my personal favorite comedies ^^
Jul 31, 2016 7:51 PM

Dec 2012
This is a tragic story for me :( Some episodes are quite fun to watch but still, over all was so sad :( A girl that is so desperately trying to fit it on her environment :( A girl without so much friends :( She keeps trying but everyone ignores her :( It's painful :( And it is somewhat related in real life :( Too much sadness I guess :( She's so alone :(

- barely alive -
Aug 1, 2016 3:36 AM
Nov 2014
When I laughed, it was a wavering, strangled thing born of the sheer amount of cringing and pain this show caused me. It was hilarious, but it was sad. I loved it.
Aug 1, 2016 3:51 AM

Dec 2015
It's a dark comedy, yes you are invited to laugh at the problems of a character.
I understand that can be uncomfortable for a lot of people but for me Watamote was a breath of fresh air.
Aug 1, 2016 5:21 AM

Apr 2015
Basically I love dark humor, so I enjoyed Watamote a lot. An anime that can give you this amount of embarassment, can't be anything else but great !
Aug 7, 2016 6:16 AM

Jun 2013
basically the people that hated it are the people that related to her alot, or people that dont like her suffering from being that awkward.

I think its a great anime and wish it got another season
Aug 17, 2016 8:26 AM
Aug 2016
Sad, funny, cringey. I have no idea how to feel about this series.
Aug 28, 2016 1:23 AM

Mar 2016
The show was supposed to be relatable and funny. Relatable? Not every person that watches anime has no friends and cant make eye contact with another human being. Funny? hmmm... nope. It was rather depressing actually. Butttt those are just my thoughts on Watamote.
Aug 28, 2016 1:55 AM

Aug 2016
Watamote is brilliant. The only other anime out that that made me feel so horribly awkward alongside the MC was Prison School. I feel like someone stalked me and wrote about me with this anime. The general disdain this show gets makes me question my reality and how people must see me. I hope to see Tomoko slowly let go of her humility and let her true nature and thought process show more to other people

Aug 29, 2016 1:12 PM

May 2014
It's funny if you like to laugh at the misfortune of others.
Which I do.

So yep, I found it pretty hilarious tbh.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2016 5:30 AM
Jun 2015
Watching this I can understand some of the suicide rate of teenagers in Japan.
Aug 31, 2016 5:33 AM

Apr 2013
Sometimes funny, sometimes I felt really bad for her. So basically it is both.
Nov 19, 2016 2:13 AM

Sep 2016
it's funny but painful
you laugh while crying

but i want season 2 it's unfair always let the awesome anime with 12 ep and the worst with more than 20-_-
anime liker
Dec 5, 2016 7:03 AM
失ē¤¼ć€å™›ćæć¾ć—ćŸ

Oct 2016
I seriously had a PTSD episode while watching this, I feel horrible. I hoped the show would develop but it just got worse and worse. Seriously, if you had a similar experience as she did at her age I would not recommend watching!
Jan 8, 2017 10:51 PM
Jan 2017
I love the show's humor, in fact, I have not laughed this hard in a long time. To me, the protagonist's situation is a phase many of us have to overcome (or more so, the socially akward few). It reminds me of the old me, and I find humor out of that -- especially knowing I will never truly beat my akward side.
I think for others to understand this, they need to not only acknowledge their akwardness, but also have a thing for dark comedy.

Edit: I have experienced the main character's pain ever since Elementary school. In fact, for me it was really bad since most people couldn't even understand what I said so I came across as mute. In light of that, I highly recommend this to people who have had sinilar experiences (I bring this up because people keep stating otherwise).
ResidentialGhoulJan 8, 2017 10:59 PM
Jan 12, 2017 12:23 PM

Jul 2015
It was very funny most of the time, but a little sad because Tomoko was such a loser. Yet her family, (except her brother), and friend seemed to care for her, and nobody was actually mean to her at all. She was just very shy and had crazy ideas all the time.
May 18, 2017 11:13 PM
Jul 2014
It's both sad and hilarious, which is what makes the series so great. The way Tomoko perceives the world is very humorous (yet somewhat true) and in general, she is just a funny person. At the same time, you love her because she is a good person who just wants to be a bit more involved in the social realm of things. It's sad that she can't seem to change but all too familiar. In anime, we often over-emphasize character development but just like most of us in the real world Tomoko barely changes. She doesn't have some flashy revelation in her life that allows her to overcome her obstacles, no instead Tomoko is Tomoko and if anything her personal development will continue to be lethargic.
Jun 4, 2017 3:19 AM

Jan 2017
I kind of wish there was some improvement in her character through out the series, even if she didn't get friends or a love interest. I wanted so badly to see progression in her character, but instead she remained stagnant. Unrealistically I wanted her to get into a relationship with someone who understood her quirks by the end of the series, but it became obvious by episode 4 or 5 that nothing of the sort would happen. Does anybody know if her character becomes more social in the manga by the end of the series?
Jun 4, 2017 4:16 AM
Sep 2011
I watched this anime when I was in anti-social depression and I think you can understand how I felt when I watched this :d That anime was a huge Slap to my face :d
Jun 4, 2017 4:43 AM

Aug 2016
It was both hilarious and crushing, because for me, it was so relatable. That's why it's my favorite anime.
Jul 20, 2017 11:27 PM

Jun 2016
When I watch this, I either have 0 reaction or huge grin just like Sonic on my profile pic. It's "cringy" show, I don't find it sad but it's not that funny either but I guess it's subjective so some people find it sad, some find it funny.

It depends on how you watch it.
Jul 21, 2017 1:04 PM
Feb 2015
Why would you watch this if you know you wont like it?
Jul 23, 2017 2:51 AM

Aug 2013
Neither
Just shit
ā– ā–”ā– ā–”ā– ā–”ā– ā–”ā– ā–”ā– ā–”ā– ā–”ā– 
Jul 31, 2017 2:21 AM
Apr 2017
I gave it a 6 and it's one of my favpurite anime. To all who liked it i recommend reading the manga.

Comedically, it's lackluster and repetitive, since the comedy alway revolves around her either failing strongly at things or having unrealistic expectation and/or a twisted idea pf the reality of things around her. The anime certianly did not make me laugh but the manga had a couple of good moments.

It'so far the only anime that made me cry (bear hug moment) but it does not put a lot of emphasis on Tomoko's sadness, because she is a Teen and she is well designed as one: she is moody, sometimes she feels sad for no real reason and sometimes she denies her condition to herself to feel better (when talking to herself she says she is funny and charismatic).

tl;dr She's well designed as a teen and this prevents the anime from taking a single didection: it's both funny and sad.
Oct 22, 2017 11:04 AM

Jun 2016
alexww180 said:
I gave it a 6 and it's one of my favpurite anime. To all who liked it i recommend reading the manga.

Comedically, it's lackluster and repetitive, since the comedy alway revolves around her either failing strongly at things or having unrealistic expectation and/or a twisted idea pf the reality of things around her. The anime certianly did not make me laugh but the manga had a couple of good moments.

It'so far the only anime that made me cry (bear hug moment) but it does not put a lot of emphasis on Tomoko's sadness, because she is a Teen and she is well designed as one: she is moody, sometimes she feels sad for no real reason and sometimes she denies her condition to herself to feel better (when talking to herself she says she is funny and charismatic).

tl;dr She's well designed as a teen and this prevents the anime from taking a single didection: it's both funny and sad.

Well I have not read the manga. Do you think I should read the manga, if I only saw the anime? :) I am curious xD
Oct 22, 2017 12:12 PM

Jun 2015
I would say both. It's funny because it shows how sad our life as nerds is. So it's kind of Dark humor show and you know what they say :

Oct 22, 2017 12:13 PM

Dec 2015
It's boring and sometimes even slightly cringy.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 22, 2017 12:14 PM

Sep 2017
Nah this is a cringefest. Everybody though this will be the next nhk and I remember this having like 8.26 score and now look at its score now. 7.25? Dang I wonder how many peeps got disappointed in this.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 23, 2017 7:14 AM

Jun 2016
nymi said:
Nah this is a cringefest. Everybody though this will be the next nhk and I remember this having like 8.26 score and now look at its score now. 7.25? Dang I wonder how many peeps got disappointed in this.

Yes I dont understand it too.. My brother @eusuna hate, and I will say it again... HATE that Watamotes score is 7.25 and not higher
Oct 23, 2017 7:21 AM

Apr 2013
There were some funny episodes and also some sad episodes. Overall more sad than funny though.
Oct 24, 2017 12:50 PM
Apr 2017
ybnrmalatall said:
Neither
Just shit
Carvn said:
alexww180 said:

Well I have not read the manga. Do you think I should read the manga, if I only saw the anime? :) I am curious xD

Only if you enjoyed the anime and found yourself interested in Tomoko's character.
Oct 24, 2017 12:55 PM

Oct 2017
I found it quirky and cringy. I remember laughing at how awkward it could get.

I get why people think it's sad and not funny at all, but I think the main focus here was to be able to laugh at how ridicule some of us can be just to be loved.

Any fans of the serie knows that Tomoko was liked by her classmates. She just emphasized the fact that she wasn't out going and interpreted it as her pairs not liking her. Really, that sounds like a lot of everyday teenagers. I honestly think it was well done.

And for the people saying that 'it's sad because she didn't even got popular at the end', I disagree. She didn't got popular, because she's not that type of girl and she realized it. That was the main focus of the anime and I'm satisfied with this ending. Realizing who you are and accepting that fact.
Oct 24, 2017 1:57 PM

Jun 2016
Dinaeh said:
I found it quirky and cringy. I remember laughing at how awkward it could get.

I get why people think it's sad and not funny at all, but I think the main focus here was to be able to laugh at how ridicule some of us can be just to be loved.

Any fans of the serie knows that Tomoko was liked by her classmates. She just emphasized the fact that she wasn't out going and interpreted it as her pairs not liking her. Really, that sounds like a lot of everyday teenagers. I honestly think it was well done.

And for the people saying that 'it's sad because she didn't even got popular at the end', I disagree. She didn't got popular, because she's not that type of girl and she realized it. That was the main focus of the anime and I'm satisfied with this ending. Realizing who you are and accepting that fact.
I agreed. Beautifully said šŸ˜Š
Sep 10, 2020 2:17 PM
May 2017
Funny overall,but some scenes were too much for me. Also, the ending was just one big letdown.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2013

240 by Thnikkakid »»
Apr 11, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2013

201 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 11, 4:27 AM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2013

377 by OpelManta »»
Mar 27, 3:48 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

rederoin - Jul 8, 2013

653 by OpelManta »»
Mar 27, 3:26 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2013

252 by owonism »»
Mar 12, 4:35 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.