Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 30, 2016 9:52 AM

Jun 2016
I'm relatively new to anime and not exactly versed on the process and hurdles companies/studios go through to dub a popular anime such as Re:Zero. What do you think the chances are of this show getting an english dub? And what is the typical wait for something like this (I know this can be all relative to the show and studio licensing it).
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 30, 2016 9:55 AM

Apr 2014
hopefully none

idk why you want to ignore the studios wishes and how they crafted this art just for the sake of a poorly executed dub.
Jul 30, 2016 9:56 AM

Jan 2011
moodie said:
hopefully none

idk why you want to ignore the studios wishes and how they crafted this art just for the sake of a poorly executed dub.
Any quote to back this up? Most studios are fine with their work being dub into other languages.

TheDersEffect19 said:
I'm relatively new to anime and not exactly versed on the process and hurdles companies/studios go through to dub a popular anime such as Re:Zero. What do you think the chances are of this show getting an English dub? And what is the typical wait for something like this (I know this can be all relative to the show and studio licensing it).
Well it is licensed by someone in the UK. So chances are high actually. From what I know they seek out shows that can draw.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jul 30, 2016 9:57 AM

Apr 2014
MasterHavik said:
moodie said:
hopefully none

Any quote to back this up? Most studios are fine with their work being dub into other languages.
Lmfao studios don't care if their work is dubbed or not its not up to them to decide and they don't even care. All they do is give in a finished project weekly because thats what they are paid to do.
Jul 30, 2016 10:06 AM

Jun 2016
moodie said:
hopefully none

I'm not looking for your elitist opinion on dubs vs subs, I personally prefer a dub if done right and am looking for insight in to how that process moves forward.
TyrelAug 1, 2016 12:56 PM
Jul 30, 2016 10:09 AM

May 2016
Kadokawa now has ties with Crunchyroll. They might be the one who will dub it.
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Jul 30, 2016 10:21 AM
Jul 2018
Lol the dub would suck.
Jul 30, 2016 10:23 AM

Apr 2014
TheDersEffect19 said:
moodie said:
hopefully none

I'm not looking for your elitist opinion on dubs vs subs, I personally prefer a dub if done right and am looking for insight in to how that process moves forward.
Its not getting a dub thats final.

As someone who isn't new to anime i know this.

Mod Edit: Modified post
TyrelAug 1, 2016 12:55 PM
Jul 30, 2016 10:31 AM

Jun 2016
moodie said:
TheDersEffect19 said:

I'm not looking for your elitist opinion on dubs vs subs, I personally prefer a dub if done right and am looking for insight in to how that process moves forward. If you don't have anything knowledgable or insightful to say on this discussion, please refrain from posting to this thread. Cool? K thanks.

As someone who isn't new to anime i know this. Cool. K. Thanks

So insightful and knowledgeable. Thank you. Cheers
Jul 30, 2016 10:51 AM

Jan 2011
moodie said:
TheDersEffect19 said:

I'm not looking for your elitist opinion on dubs vs subs, I personally prefer a dub if done right and am looking for insight in to how that process moves forward. If you don't have anything knowledgable or insightful to say on this discussion, please refrain from posting to this thread. Cool? K thanks.

What company do you work? Also with what I know they do care if there works are dubded. I mean the dub cast for Sailor Moon Crystal was hand pick by the creator herself.

TheDersEffect19 said:
moodie said:

You're going to get that with these people who think just because they watch a lot of anime they know everything about the business and Japan. But to give you an honest answer yeah it will get dub since these companies are about making money. I really wish when people bring up dubs people responding don't turn it into sub vs. dub. I mean I had this problem asking about Ginatama to someone. I mean how clear do we have to make it to these people? "We don't care about your opinion. Just answer the fucking question dude." You can hate dubs. That is 100 percent fine but you shouldn't have to inject your opinion unless asked about it.

But yeah back to my point this show is getting dub. I think it written in a way it shouldn't be too hard to botch.

Moodie is on that asspull game like a shouen main character.
MasterHavikJul 30, 2016 11:01 AM
Jul 30, 2016 10:54 AM

Jun 2016
MasterHavik said:
moodie said:

What company od you work? Also with what I know they do care if there works are dubs. I mean the dub cast for Sailor Moon Crystal was hand pick by the creator herself.

TheDersEffect19 said:

You're going to get that with these people who think just because they watch a lot of anime they know everything about the business and Japan. But to give you an honest answer yeah it will get dub since these companies are about making money. I really wish when people bring up dubs people responding don't turn it into sub vs. dub. I mean I had this problem asking about Ginatama to someone. I mean how clear do we have to make it to these people? "We don't care about your opinion. Just answer the fucking question dude." You can hate dubs. That is 100 percent fine but you shouldn't have to inject your opinion unless asked about it.

But yeah back to my point this show is getting dub. I think it written in a way it shouldn't be too hard to botch.

Moodie is on that asspull game like a shouen main character.

Hahaha well said, and I 100% agree. Thanks for the input.
Jul 30, 2016 11:00 AM

Jan 2011
No problem man. I'm happy I started using this account. I get a kick out checking a lot of these crazies and etlists who think they know more than because they watch more anime.

Btw I watch both sub and dub. So it doesn't really matter to me.
MasterHavikJul 30, 2016 2:13 PM
Jul 30, 2016 11:23 AM

Jun 2016
MasterHavik said:
No problem man. I'm happy I started using this account. I get a kick out checking a lot of these crazies and etlists who think they more than because they watch more anime.

Btw I watch both sub and dub. So it doesn't really matter to me.

Same here bro, all depends on the anime in question.
Jul 30, 2016 5:52 PM

Feb 2014
A dub will definitely happen. I think finding someone capable of doing Subaru would be hard simply because of the amount of anguish and raw emotion the japanese voice actor portrays. So they need a good voice actor for him.
Jul 30, 2016 8:34 PM

Apr 2013
eXtacy67 said:
I think finding someone capable of doing Subaru would be hard simply because of the amount of anguish and raw emotion the japanese voice actor portrays.

I agree with this.

Subaru's Japanese voice actor has done a phenomenal job that I believe it'd be near impossible to find an English voice actor who could match his performance.

This is why I usually prefer a sub over a dub, because I feel like the Japanese voice actor/actresses do a better job.
Jul 30, 2016 8:38 PM

Jun 2015
A dub will happen. It's too popular for it not to.

Although I din't have high hopes for whoever is voicing Subaru and Emilia.
Jul 31, 2016 12:11 AM

Apr 2014
Why are you people taking Moodie seriously? Just learn to ignore him.
And the answer is obviously yes. Other than the fact that most anime nowadays get dubs by default, this show is hugely popular. A dubbing company would have to be stupid not to see this opportunity to try and get new casual fans and make a quick buck with overpriced Blu Ray boxes.
Jul 31, 2016 8:32 AM

Mar 2012
This series has already been licensed by a uk distributor Anime Limited which means that somebody in the american market either already has it or is in final negotiations to get it

Crunchyroll has recently started to enter the disk distribution market as well so chances are they are the ones who have it and considering it is one of the popular new titles of the year..yes i am sure it will get a dub..it is just a matter of when.
Aug 1, 2016 10:46 AM

Feb 2016
Dubbed will never be as good as subbed the VA in Re:Zero is beyond perfect and its hard to find good dubbed series that make you want to cringe although that being said it could still be great but i always stick to the original for most things.

A dubbed will probably be announced in the near future the way the series is going right now but im not 100% on that.

Aug 1, 2016 12:45 PM

Mar 2015
I don't think there is anyone alive that could pull off Subaru fantastic VOs in English, but that's just my humble opinion. :)
Aug 1, 2016 12:54 PM

Sep 2011
moodie said:
"And that's final."
Yes, 'cause your opinion is totally a fact.

moodie said:
"As someone who isn't new to anime"
...Ugh.
TyrelAug 1, 2016 12:58 PM
Aug 1, 2016 3:39 PM
Oct 2013
moodie said:

It will most likely. Although I can imagine it would fail in comparison to its undub version. Just imagining Betelguese...
Aug 1, 2016 4:04 PM

Jul 2014
Highly, but will they capture the emotion done by the seiyuu's? Dubs don't have the vocal impact that the native audio delivers.
Aug 1, 2016 6:54 PM

Dec 2014
Most likely due to the popularity.

Will it live up to the original? Highly doubt it. But any promoted exposure to this series is welcomed. More sales equals a higher chance of getting another season after this.
Aug 1, 2016 9:10 PM

Apr 2015
I'd say there's a good 99% chance. I'm surprised it hasn't been licensed yet, but either FUNi or Sentai is probably looking into it, and if they get it will definitely dub it.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 1, 2016 9:33 PM

Jul 2013
Yeah, I'd say there's a damn good chance for there to be a English dubbed version.
That said, the voice acting may not live up to what's been produced by the Japanese VAs.
Aug 2, 2016 3:55 AM
Jul 2016
idk man

I don't think there's anyone with an English voice that will be as good as the Japanese voice acting we've seen in Re: Zero.
Aug 4, 2016 3:26 AM
Jun 2016
OppaiSugoi said:
Highly, but will they capture the emotion done by the seiyuu's? Dubs don't have the vocal impact that the native audio delivers.

Have you heard the Tokyo Ghoul dub? Just watch the final episode of the first season and tell me you're not impressed.
Aug 4, 2016 5:22 PM

Jul 2014
Quantum-Tangent said:
OppaiSugoi said:

Have you heard the Tokyo Ghoul dub? Just watch the final episode of the first season and tell me you're not impressed.

Haven't seen nor plan to see it as it's not my type.
Aug 5, 2016 5:34 AM
Jun 2016
OppaiSugoi said:
Quantum-Tangent said:

I was talking about the dub quality not the show itself. I couldn't care less about what show is your type, although I got a general idea from your profile. -_-
Aug 6, 2016 3:02 AM

Oct 2015
I can't imagine how Betelgeuse sound in English.
Aug 6, 2016 7:24 AM

Jul 2014
Quantum-Tangent said:
OppaiSugoi said:

I was talking about the dub quality not the show itself. I couldn't care less about what show is your type, although I got a general idea from your profile. -_-
That made no sense at all, why would I want to watch a random show just to judge on the dub quality? I would first have to take an interest on it and then plan on watching it twice on subs and dubs. There goes time wasted on stuff I actually want to watch.
Aug 6, 2016 7:33 AM

Oct 2014
Prog_upworks13 said:

They need either Mark Hamill or an impersonator of him, cause I think it would fit him perfectly in english.
Aug 7, 2016 3:08 AM

Mar 2010
SigOpram said:
moodie said:

It will most likely. Although I can imagine it would fail in comparison to its undub version. Just imagining Betelguese...

Yeah, his English equivalent will would definitely have tough shoes to fill.
Aug 7, 2016 5:57 AM

Feb 2016
AsuraDestructor said:
Prog_upworks13 said:

They need either Mark Hamill or an impersonator of him, cause I think it would fit him perfectly in english.

Oh wow, after you mentioned Mr. Hamil I could actually see him pulling it off. Most likely never happen but it would be awesome.
Aug 7, 2016 7:14 AM

Mar 2014
A dub would be guaranteed considering the popularity but I wouldn't be surprised if they don''t rush the casting. The original version really shines because of the fantastic voice acting and some roles are really difficult to pull off

Seriously whoever comes close to doing a good job at voicing Subaru deserves some major respect
Sep 8, 2016 4:05 PM
Jan 2016
moodie said:
hopefully none

You do realize many animation studios will seek out foreign licensing for their shows, dubs (in any language) help out the anime industry greatly. And a lot of english dubs are pretty fantastic now a days, Sentai, Aniplex, even Funi all have really stepped up their game, its in no way discrediting the original work. This is coming from someone who watches both subs and dubs.
Sep 20, 2016 10:08 AM
Jul 2016
For all we know, the dub studio could pull a Baccano on us, and make the dub 2 and a half million times better than the sub, which most likely won't happen but we can pray.
But I swear to god if I see another anime with Bryce Pappenbrook...
Sep 20, 2016 10:21 AM

Sep 2014
Pretty high, but will likely get picked up by sentai filmworks. They will botch it hard as they usually do.
Sep 20, 2016 5:32 PM
Jul 2016
Revert67 said:
OverBakedPotatoe said:
make the dub 2 and a half million times better than the sub

That is possible? Now I have to watch Baccanos dub one day. You just shook my beliefs as a sub purist.

The English dub was almost destined to outshine the sub, mainly considering the show is set in 1930's New York, they nailed the voices, accents, and emotion amazingly.
Sep 20, 2016 6:06 PM

Sep 2015
I assume if it gets a dub at all it'll probably be by Funimation considering the new Crunchyroll x Funimation collaboration.
Oct 10, 2016 9:30 AM

Jun 2016
ya_hallo said:
I assume if it gets a dub at all it'll probably be by Funimation considering the new Crunchyroll x Funimation collaboration.

I was hoping the same thing once i heard about that partnership. But funimation just recently announced their upcoming dubs this fall, and while many recent shows from crunchyroll are on the list, sadly Re Zero didnt make the cut. Keeping my fingers crossed
Oct 10, 2016 10:18 AM

Jan 2016
Hasn't pretty much everyone that's interested in Re:Zero watched the subbed version allready? Would anyone bother buying the dubbed version?

Oct 10, 2016 10:23 AM

Jun 2016
Bst222 said:
Hasn't pretty much everyone that's interested in Re:Zero watched the subbed version allready? Would anyone bother buying the dubbed version?

--------
No. Yes.
Oct 10, 2016 10:31 AM

Jan 2016
TheDersEffect19 said:
Bst222 said:

--------
No. Yes.

That suprises me, I would think that if people were really interested they would just watch subbed anime right?
I guess I was wrong there still are some hardcore dub fans out there. :p

Oct 10, 2016 10:56 AM

Jun 2016
Bst222 said:
TheDersEffect19 said:

--------
No. Yes.

That suprises me, I would think that if people were really interested they would just watch subbed anime right?

Yup, wrong indeed.
Oct 10, 2016 5:15 PM
Aug 2016
I mean, Steins;Gate got a dub, and it's by the same studio?
Oct 10, 2016 5:21 PM

Aug 2016
I'm a bit interested to see how they do Betelguese's dub
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Nov 9, 2016 10:49 PM
Jun 2013
Bst222 said:
TheDersEffect19 said:

--------
No. Yes.

I love anime but I don't do subs. Only time I did was back in vhs days when it was much harder to get anime. Now that's it's not much of a problem. So if something catches my eye I wait for the dub which does tend to come out. There's alot of others with the same mind frame as well.
Nov 13, 2016 7:02 PM
Nov 2016
souledge94 said:
Bst222 said:

I love anime but I don't do subs. Only time I did was back in vhs days when it was much harder to get anime. Now that's it's not much of a problem. So if something catches my eye I wait for the dub which does tend to come out. There's alot of others with the same mind frame as well.

I pretty much only watch dubs. I don't read very fast and I can't appreciate the art as much with a sub. I also don't miss anything by watching really cool action scenes and not focusing on the subs.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2016

715 by XionnaMing »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2016

2072 by Nanami0007 »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2016

538 by XionnaMing »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2016

510 by XionnaMing »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2016

816 by XionnaMing »»
Today, 6:49 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.