Forum Settings
Forums
New
Would you like an official Discord server to be added to MAL?
Yes
87.4%
No
5.4%
Neither. I do not think it will change anything.
7.2%
597 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 8, 2016 9:49 PM

May 2015
Ardanaz said:
Subpyro said:
I don't know if Kineta or Luna have given any input on the Discord idea as a whole behind the scenes, but I believe that if it would be set up, it would act the way IRC currently does; that includes requesting of help and assistance.

Keeping that in mind, at least forum moderators would have to be a separate rank to put on the top of the online list, potentially only behind the administrators. That is because they are the most contacted members on the IRC for staff-related issues, mainly due to bans, their duration and reasoning.

Organization and accessibility is of essence, especially when someone might be freaking out and requires help or information as soon as possible.

Like sarroush said, we have discussed it before. It would be a nice replacement, but it has some negatives too. Also I use Discord to chat with friends and my gf, so I'd get spammed with people requesting ban help while I'm traveling or something :(
I could deal with that though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Would like it a lot if we used discord instead of irc.
cmon ardy, we all know irc is gay

it could also be a nice job replacement for irc mods tho; you dont see dunois doing anythin anymore
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Oct 9, 2016 2:00 AM

Mar 2013
@Ardanaz; If it will be set up, people will ask for help on it. You can rest assured on that. I mean, it's yet another real-time chat and people will logically connect the dots.

The point of my post was in the forum moderator rank part; in other words, ranks would have to be more precise than what you have initially suggested, that's all :)
Oct 9, 2016 2:23 AM

Aug 2014
Subpyro said:
@Ardanaz; If it will be set up, people will ask for help on it. You can rest assured on that. I mean, it's yet another real-time chat and people will logically connect the dots.

The point of my post was in the forum moderator rank part; in other words, ranks would have to be more precise than what you have initially suggested, that's all :)

I agree with you completely. All I'm saying is that I use that as my messenger app for MAL friends and my gf, so it might be a bit annoying sometimes. I'm still hoping discord adds a status thingy for when you're on mobile so people will know I can't help out with ban issues.

Fixed typo
ArdanazOct 9, 2016 10:12 AM
Oct 9, 2016 10:04 AM

May 2015
Ardanaz said:
Subpyro said:

I agree with you completely. All I'm saying is that I use that as my messenger app for MAL friends and my gf, so it might be a bit annoying sometimes. I'm still hoping discord ads a status thingy for when you're on mobile so people will know I can't help out with ban issues.
just supress notifications? or maybe have it so users with @.admin cant be mentioned?
Freddy Nicholas said:
Oct 9, 2016 10:12 AM

Aug 2014
Malarkey said:
just supress notifications? or maybe have it so users with @.admin cant be mentioned?

Like I said, I use the app to talk to friends. If I suppress notifications, I won't get any from them either. And PMs are also a thing, so that wouldn't fix it.
But this wouldn't be a huge problem ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oct 9, 2016 10:19 AM

May 2015
Ardanaz said:
Malarkey said:

Like I said, I use the app to talk to friends. If I suppress notifications, I won't get any from them either. And PMs are also a thing, so that wouldn't fix it.
But this wouldn't be a huge problem ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
you can surpress notifications for individual channels, for both mobile and pc
Freddy Nicholas said:
Oct 9, 2016 10:27 AM

Aug 2014
Malarkey said:

Can I do it for PMs from people who aren't on my friends list?
Oct 9, 2016 10:35 AM

May 2015
Ardanaz said:
Malarkey said:

Can I do it for PMs from people who aren't on my friends list?
Im pretty sure you can; check your settings
Freddy Nicholas said:
Oct 12, 2016 2:15 PM
Jul 2015
I'd love one! That would be a great idea I think!

I actually saw this earlier in the forums, anybody know if this is the official MAL one?

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1456520&show=0#post17
Oct 12, 2016 2:31 PM

Oct 2014
Gaimo said:
I'd love one! That would be a great idea I think!

I actually saw this earlier in the forums, anybody know if this is the official MAL one?

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1456520&show=0#post17
No. can't you see the thread's from casual trash forum? If MAL gets anything official it'll show in the news/ Updates & Announcements board.
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oct 12, 2016 2:48 PM
Jul 2015
@Iizbakaokay Oooh sorry, my bad. I'm still new to MAL so I didn't see that T.T Thanks for the info though!
Oct 12, 2016 2:53 PM

Sep 2016
Jumping on this bandwagon!

I would vote for having an MAL one; it would be a great way to be introduced to other members c:
Oct 15, 2016 8:11 AM

Aug 2015
I hope we get a Discord server because so far it seems to be quite possible.

Also, maybe it would be a good idea to decide on channels, other than the few "default" ones the staff can decide on themselves, once/if you actually get a server up.

All in all, I genuinely believe this will be a major success concerning MAL-User relations and will definetely make MAL even more popular.
Oct 17, 2016 4:53 PM

Mar 2010
This would be interesting for me, since its more attractive for me.. not like IRC where it feels like I just went back to 2001 where most things were fucking bland.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 20, 2016 4:34 PM

Sep 2009
IRC seems good enough.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 1, 2016 12:01 PM

Jan 2016
So any updates on this? I still think it would be a really awesome idea.

Dec 1, 2016 2:03 PM

Feb 2015
sarroush said:
We had a short discussion about this a while back with the forum moderators throwing out ideas here and there and seeing how it could work with IRC still being a thing.

I do believe discord would get more traction and people would be more inclined to use it. The customization for it is also much easier than IRC and it just looks better overall.

At the moment, it's still very much up in the air, but I'll bring up the topic again and see if anything new comes to the table in that regard.

That seems hard... Well there are a lot of Forum Mods, so I think you guys can handle the discord(probably under Forum and DB Mods).

Ardanaz said:
Subpyro said:
I don't know if Kineta or Luna have given any input on the Discord idea as a whole behind the scenes, but I believe that if it would be set up, it would act the way IRC currently does; that includes requesting of help and assistance.

Keeping that in mind, at least forum moderators would have to be a separate rank to put on the top of the online list, potentially only behind the administrators. That is because they are the most contacted members on the IRC for staff-related issues, mainly due to bans, their duration and reasoning.

Organization and accessibility is of essence, especially when someone might be freaking out and requires help or information as soon as possible.

Like sarroush said, we have discussed it before. It would be a nice replacement, but it has some negatives too. Also I use Discord to chat with friends and my gf, so I'd get spammed with people requesting ban help while I'm traveling or something :(
I could deal with that though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Would like it a lot if we used discord instead of irc.

Lol.... Seems you've it hard dude.... xD

So who'd handle the discord group? Forum Mods too?

Probably... Well as I said, 9 of you can handle it... xD

Goodluck dude... xD

Dec 1, 2016 2:14 PM

Nov 2011
IRC takes a lot of time to learn and set up if you've never used it before. I recall several months back when I gave it a whirl and accidentally broadcasted by email and desired password to the whole channel when trying to set up a nickname.

If you want to use a bouncer to see messages from before you joined the channel, that adds more complication and steps.

I like IRC, but it's not a surprise a lot of people don't bother with it. When you also take into account that it's virtually unadvertised (not even in the nav bar), the low activity is understandable. I haven't tried Discord, but I imagine it would be easier to learn and use than IRC. If it were advertised as well, it would likely get a lot more traffic.
Dec 21, 2016 5:36 AM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
this would be interesting

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Jan 26, 2017 6:21 AM

Jul 2014
Seeing how archaic IRC is, I'm surprised MAL hasn't adopted Discord sooner.
Jan 26, 2017 7:45 AM

Apr 2016
Would be nice to chat to some people :)
Jan 29, 2017 2:46 PM

Sep 2012
I think irc is so outdated for todays standards.

I also think MAL should have one official discord server.
Feb 15, 2017 5:03 AM

Dec 2013
Hohoho~
Cant wait to for official MAL discord server ^^
Feb 15, 2017 10:16 AM
Jul 2018
Having an Official MAL discord would be a nice idea, personally because in that case we can communicate further as a community and have some fun interactions, tho there are some downsides to it but yeah, as long as there's good and nice modifications / admins to help those downsides that will be interesting.
Feb 20, 2017 11:10 PM

Aug 2016
You can easily customize user permissions in Discord to prevent members from posting pictures or external links.

Also there are a boat load of bots that you can program to prevent regular spam and caps lock spam, I've done this on several of my own servers and it helps maintain things nicely.

I believe a MAL discord would be wonderful. Discord is a very simple, easy to use and customize-able platform. It would make reporting issues and interacting with the staff 1000x easier and it's quite easy to set up controls to prevent trolls and spammers.

+1 to Kreateer for bringing this up.
Feb 21, 2017 6:07 AM

Feb 2015
Holocaster said:
You can easily customize user permissions in Discord to prevent members from posting pictures or external links.

Also there are a boat load of bots that you can program to prevent regular spam and caps lock spam, I've done this on several of my own servers and it helps maintain things nicely.

I believe a MAL discord would be wonderful. Discord is a very simple, easy to use and customize-able platform. It would make reporting issues and interacting with the staff 1000x easier and it's quite easy to set up controls to prevent trolls and spammers.

+1 to Kreateer for bringing this up.

Interacting with staff is fairly easy. They use IRC. Mhhh, it still would be useless if you ask me, regardless of how many stuff you can do to prevent something from doing that. They will just feel suppressed. I mean, the point of having a Discord Chat is to spam the shit out of it and live without the oppression of rules, in some ways that both will benefit. And, if you ask me, that just takes it away. I've been in at least 2 Discord server wherein its "free for all" kind of idea. Where you post is where you post and where you shitpost is where the salt will flow. That is what I like, and hey, it works for me.
Feb 21, 2017 6:20 AM

Aug 2016
_Ako_ said:
Interacting with staff is fairly easy. They use IRC. Mhhh, it still would be useless if you ask me, regardless of how many stuff you can do to prevent something from doing that. They will just feel suppressed. I mean, the point of having a Discord Chat is to spam the shit out of it and live without the oppression of rules, in some ways that both will benefit. And, if you ask me, that just takes it away. I've been in at least 2 Discord server wherein its "free for all" kind of idea. Where you post is where you post and where you shitpost is where the salt will flow. That is what I like, and hey, it works for me.

I just mean it would be easier to interact with them ^^

Also, I was just addressing concerns some expressed about spam/trolling and whatnot. There are many tools accessible on Discord to prevent things should you want to ^^ and you can designate channels for that stuff too~
Feb 21, 2017 6:35 AM
Jul 2018
Yes please. I use Discord a lot, I think it would be great to chat with other MAL users and discuss things.
Feb 21, 2017 12:11 PM
Jul 2018
I think it is a great idea, since it has been considered, hopefully it will get implemented soon.

Lord_Sithis said:
Yes please. I use Discord a lot, I think it would be great to chat with other MAL users and discuss things.
"discuss" huehuehue
Feb 21, 2017 4:13 PM

Sep 2012
Darek said:

Lord_Sithis said:
"discuss" huehuehue

Shhh... Let people believe that.
Feb 21, 2017 4:48 PM

Jun 2016
I support this idea. I'd love to vocally shitpost MAL.
Feb 21, 2017 7:00 PM

Jul 2010
Lmao why, it would just be cancer.
Feb 21, 2017 7:39 PM

Feb 2015
sasalx said:
Darek said:

"discuss" huehuehue

Shhh... Let people believe that.

Discuss? Lol... That's not even the 1/10 of the truth of Discord server... xD

Tenth said:
Lmao why, it would just be cancer.

Exactly, who would really believe that it will go smoothly unless you really bind ppl down to the extend that lurkers will be the only one who'll enjoy the server... xD
Mar 15, 2017 3:38 PM

Jun 2013
If used correctly Discord servers can support thousands of active users with the correct Discord Bots being in place to handle the simple moderation (e.g removing spam, raiders, filtering certain words or links, etc.). There's plenty of ways to implement strict restrictions via the Discord API that was publicly released and has been being used by developers for the longest time now to ease the amount of difficulty there would be with such a large community being involved.

Don't underestimate the Discord Bots! I really think Discord could create even more life among the anime/forum community with live interaction. I don't know about replacing it with IRC, I think it should stay separate until you're fully capable of transitioning from one to another with full functionality and everything being stable and organized.

Definitely consider it atleast, because Discord is much more advanced than you think. Onegaishimasu!
Mar 15, 2017 6:54 PM

Feb 2015
Insane said:
If used correctly Discord servers can support thousands of active users with the correct Discord Bots being in place to handle the simple moderation (e.g removing spam, raiders, filtering certain words or links, etc.). There's plenty of ways to implement strict restrictions via the Discord API that was publicly released and has been being used by developers for the longest time now to ease the amount of difficulty there would be with such a large community being involved.

Don't underestimate the Discord Bots! I really think Discord could create even more life among the anime/forum community with live interaction. I don't know about replacing it with IRC, I think it should stay separate until you're fully capable of transitioning from one to another with full functionality and everything being stable and organized.

Definitely consider it atleast, because Discord is much more advanced than you think. Onegaishimasu!

You are very insane thinking that something like that will make MAL Discord be a thing. I'd want to see how it will be a thing as soon as it starts and flop hard at the end. If you make it a MAL Shitposting Discord Server, I'm it would still be the same.

Clubs have it, no need to make it available for everyone...
Mar 15, 2017 9:02 PM

Jun 2013
_Ako_ said:
Insane said:

You are very insane thinking that something like that will make MAL Discord be a thing. I'd want to see how it will be a thing as soon as it starts and flop hard at the end. If you make it a MAL Shitposting Discord Server, I'm it would still be the same.

Clubs have it, no need to make it available for everyone...

I understand where you're coming from and can see why it could be discerning, the idea of such an insanely large server but you don't seem to comprehend the amount of restriction you can add to properly organize a server to be very moderated without having to do it ENTIRELY manually unless you choose to.

It wouldn't flop, as Discord is a very adaptive program with alot of features that continually allow you to enjoy it. The idea of having a server primarily for your club is basically a way for you to congregate around peers who share the same interest in whatever topic your club focuses on a; be it a specific anime, waifu, lifestyle, country, cultural investigation, NSFW, whatever your club may involve.

Creating an Official server brings the idea of just general live chat with peers who all-in-all enjoy anime/manga without completely distinguishing themselves into a specific clique/group/club so that it's just for ANYONE. You get me? It's totally different.
Mar 16, 2017 2:31 AM

Jun 2008
Sorry I didn't read the whole thread so maybe this was already mentioned, but it is possible to make a "gateway bot" between IRC and Discord that will repost all messages so that people on IRC can see what is being said on Discord and vice versa. Looks kinda like this: http://i.imgur.com/sWoUTSl.png So you can bring the whole community together without forcing anyone to adapt to a new program.
Mar 16, 2017 5:32 AM

Feb 2015
Insane said:

I understand where you're coming from and can see why it could be discerning, the idea of such an insanely large server but you don't seem to comprehend the amount of restriction you can add to properly organize a server to be very moderated without having to do it ENTIRELY manually unless you choose to.

It wouldn't flop, as Discord is a very adaptive program with alot of features that continually allow you to enjoy it. The idea of having a server primarily for your club is basically a way for you to congregate around peers who share the same interest in whatever topic your club focuses on a; be it a specific anime, waifu, lifestyle, country, cultural investigation, NSFW, whatever your club may involve.

Creating an Official server brings the idea of just general live chat with peers who all-in-all enjoy anime/manga without completely distinguishing themselves into a specific clique/group/club so that it's just for ANYONE. You get me? It's totally different.

I think you don't see what I am going at too. Different Discord Groups are not entitled to their MAL's persona, it can have its name, but what inside is different. So I don't see the reason why bother putting a lot of restrictions if no one, or less people would use it anyway, since they all have their own.

Also, most people don't have #anime channel in their Discord group but #shitpost or something like that. Since that what basically it is.
Mar 16, 2017 7:27 PM

Jun 2013
kuchitsu said:
Sorry I didn't read the whole thread so maybe this was already mentioned, but it is possible to make a "gateway bot" between IRC and Discord that will repost all messages so that people on IRC can see what is being said on Discord and vice versa. Looks kinda like this: http://i.imgur.com/sWoUTSl.png So you can bring the whole community together without forcing anyone to adapt to a new program.

I like that concept, I don't know how or if it could be done though.
_Ako_ said:
Insane said:

I think you don't see what I am going at too. Different Discord Groups are not entitled to their MAL's persona, it can have its name, but what inside is different. So I don't see the reason why bother putting a lot of restrictions if no one, or less people would use it anyway, since they all have their own.

Also, most people don't have #anime channel in their Discord group but #shitpost or something like that. Since that what basically it is.

I'm not going to be rude, I tried explaining what the difference is and you don't seem to comprehend it or maybe you just don't want to read my responses. But, don't knock something down if you don't try it first. No need to be pessimistic, you feel me? If it doesn't work, it doesn't work; but I doubt it would fail.
Mar 16, 2017 8:17 PM

Feb 2015
@Insane

Yeah... Okay, if you see the things that way; good for you. I ain't even joining if I can be muted for swearing...
Mar 16, 2017 11:09 PM

Aug 2015
Why do people like selling their own privacy and data?This is the question for everyone in this forum who want an official discord server.
Mar 16, 2017 11:22 PM

Aug 2015
I am more surprised that any MAL staff hasn't deleted/locked this thread.From a business point of view it will be nothing more than suicidal.It basically means more users will use discord rather than their messaging system.
Apr 20, 2017 1:39 AM

Aug 2015
Honestly, I agree with @kuchitsu.
If connecting IRC to the official Discord server can be done, then nobody can be forced to download Discord or use web Discord instead of IRC. By doing this, people can use both of these services basically at the same time, which imo can only improve MALs ever-growing popularity. It should not affect any "bussiness-related issues".
Speaking of which, I honestly have no idea how on Earth did you even think of such a pointless problem, since MALs "bussiness" relies on ad revenue from what I know. @ultravigo
Apr 20, 2017 3:29 AM

Aug 2015
@Kreateer And how do MAL get those ad revenue in the first place?By bringing more traffic and engaging users in its own environment which attracts more investor + AD revenue.Do you really think the private company who bought MAL only solely relies on ad revenue?By creating an official discord server means people will began to spend time outside of MAL and they'll use discord instead of MAL messaging system driving MAL traffic away[even though it will be a tiny] which isn't very lucrative in the eyes of investors and ad companies.
Than maybe i'm overthinking this too much and i maybe wrong regarding this isuue.
ultravigoApr 20, 2017 3:43 AM
Apr 22, 2017 5:23 PM

Aug 2015
Investors? Purchased private company? Less traffic on site?

I can see how less traffic could be a problem, but to the previous two statements I have to say I have no idea what's MAL getting itself into and I really do not care nor is it my bussiness, which is to say it's none of yours as well, I presume. MAL's issues with handling traffic and their bussiness is up to themselves. This topic was made to simply voice out opinions and with that the pros. and cons. regarding the suggestion, not to contemplate on the next possible course of actions MAL should take or anything remotely similar in that regard. Neither you nor I nor anyone not directly involved with the company can say what MAL's situation is or what it should do. That being said, I feel I should note regardless of what I said that MAL added ads and the option to pay to remove them, which is softly saying to me that these "investors" you speak of are not really investing as much as it was expected, are they? In any case, my point is that the only logical thing and an actual problem you mentioned is the site traffic involving mainly forums and clubs. Other problems like funding are none of our concern and also solving the previously mentioned traffic problem is up to MAL as well, really, regardless of any solutions you might provide, so it is pretty pointless to discuss them as much as it feels right, don't you think? :)
Apr 26, 2017 12:23 PM

Jun 2008
It would be a nice addition, since MAL already has an IRC channel. Btw, with the help of a bot, you can link both a discord server with an IRC channel (it forwards the messages between the two).

Having pretty much left IRC in favor of discord, I would totally join an official MAL discord, if created.
Baka-Tsuki discord server
Apr 26, 2017 12:27 PM
ONE MORE PULL

Aug 2012
RS said:
It would be a nice addition, since MAL already has an IRC channel. Btw, with the help of a bot, you can link both a discord server with an IRC channel (it forwards the messages between the two).

Having pretty much left IRC in favor of discord, I would totally join an official MAL discord, if created.

^This.

You can connect a server to any site you want it to be affiliated with. You can even make it mandatory to have their username on the service that you provide be forcefully shown in the Discord chat as their display name.

Would be pretty chaotic though, wouldn't suggest it if you aren't planning to get a moderation bot to handle basic deletions/filters/etc. The workload for a moderation team would be very large.
Apr 26, 2017 12:35 PM

Jun 2008
Jupio said:
Would be pretty chaotic though, wouldn't suggest it if you aren't planning to get a moderation bot to handle basic deletions/filters/etc. The workload for a moderation team would be very large.

It could give as much freedom as the admin decides... heck, with a few permissions off, it can be pretty much like a normal IRC channel (no link, image previews, etc).
Apr 26, 2017 12:41 PM
ONE MORE PULL

Aug 2012
RS said:
Jupio said:

It could give as much freedom as the admin decides... heck, with a few permissions off, it can be pretty much like a normal IRC channel (no link, image previews, etc).

Would really defeat the purpose of the service at that point. I think @Laurie said it best, people really misunderstand the use of moderation bots on Discord, they are VERY useful. Could mitigate almost any basic moderation (images, links, filtering words, that type of stuff) while leaving you just to moderate the discussions people are having which isn't really going to be necessary but you know how it goes, same way with IRC basically.
Apr 26, 2017 1:00 PM

Jun 2008
What I meant by that, is that the admin can set up discord in a way that suits them.

Bots are nice for automation... We don't really use it for moderation on our server. I guess our peeps behave :P
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Yesterday, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Yesterday, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.