Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 24, 2016 3:28 PM
Jul 2016
Hello everybody, i need a little advice regarding something that's been bothering me for some time now. Let's begin with the fact that I am a Christian (to clarify, I'm not that kind of Christian who covers his ears screaming in pain when someone says things like "Jesus Christ!" or even "Goddammit!"), and I was quite shaken when I heard the Laughing Man (who's always been one of my favorite gits charachters) say fully and twice in two of the final episodes (22 and 23, if I remember correctly) the phrase :" that son of a ***** God". Now, I now perfectly that Gits is way more than two blasphemous sentences (and I still consider it the greatest anime ever) but 1) it pains me that such a beatifully crafted anime can "fall so low" 2) such offensive statements made it to the official english dub. Again, I'm not a bigot, but some things really "cross the line" for me. What are your opinions? Do you have any advice to "overcome" this? English isn't my mother tongue (so I am sorry for eventual errors), so is it possible that the phrase has a "less offensive meaning" i'm not aware of?
Jul 24, 2016 3:43 PM

Jun 2012
I'm not a Christian, but I do believe in God (I don't adher to any religion, but I know that e.g. Orthodox Christian theology and my beliefs mirror each other to quite some extent) and I never use the word needlessly. I've been thinking more and more about this kind of thing lately and the thing is... to you or me the word signifies the divine, something holy. It doesn't signify that to the average person. Just like I am not the same person as people who bear the same name as I do, the real God is not what most people refer to when they use that word. Their behavior practically proves it.
If someone truly knows the divine, they wouldn't try to sully it, so to speak.
I'd even go so far as to say that some people who claim to be atheists do believe in the divine, but simply dislike certain language (i.e. the reverse, where they find the idea of referring to their notion of ultimate truth and love as "god" unacceptable).
Jul 24, 2016 4:50 PM

Oct 2009
My advice is grow thicker skin.

I can't fathom having a problem with fictional characters in media having and expressing differing religious views to your own.
Jul 24, 2016 11:04 PM
Jul 2016
It's not like that, i never had any kind of problem with someone expressing a different religious view than mine, both in real life and with fictional charachters. My problem was with expressing an unnecessarly violent and offensive view on my religion in one of my favorite animes. To put it in other words, it feels to me like someone put a grain of salt in my favourite cake.
Jul 25, 2016 11:21 AM

Apr 2009
Cyberpunker said:
Do you have any advice to "overcome" this?

Say your prayers and eat your vitamins, brother.
Jul 29, 2016 12:31 AM

Jul 2016
I think if you want to learn the true meaning behind it, you're going to have the writers personally...

Is that possible? Probably not.

If you haven't seen 2ND GIG yet, I suggest that you do. They use a lot of religious aspects in the ending episodes and I think you would enjoy it. Overall, I don't think the writers meant to cause any harm. If there's one thing I know about entertainment, its that everyone is a critic and you can't please them all.
The Net is Vast and Infinite
Aug 1, 2016 4:14 AM
Jul 2016
Kusanaagi said:
I think if you want to learn the true meaning behind it, you're going to have the writers personally...

Is that possible? Probably not.

If you haven't seen 2ND GIG yet, I suggest that you do. They use a lot of religious aspects in the ending episodes and I think you would enjoy it. Overall, I don't think the writers meant to cause any harm. If there's one thing I know about entertainment, its that everyone is a critic and you can't please them all.
Well, I can easily gueess the meaning even without asking the writers: they wanted to show the Laughing man as a disillusioned, angry and cynical boy (if he IS a boy...still trying to piece together the character, as I said before he is still one of my favorite) similarly to Holden Caulfield from Catcher in the Rye (I read that book because of gits, and I love it). Regarding the "no harm meant", I am pretty sure, since it would be just plain stupid to offend directly part of your audience directly (and besides, Japanese are among the most polite people around). What bugged me was the "shock" that one of my favorite characters would be so brutally vulgar in regards to such a delicate matter (and not the fact that he is, probably, atheist, since i don't "care" what other people believe in, as long as their happy with their choice and don't start bothering me). Still, thanks for the advice! I also began to watch 2nd gig, and so far (ep 3) I like it even more than the previous season!
Dec 2, 2017 4:24 PM

Apr 2017
Cyberpunker said:
Hello everybody, i need a little advice regarding something that's been bothering me for some time now. Let's begin with the fact that I am a Christian (to clarify, I'm not that kind of Christian who covers his ears screaming in pain when someone says things like "Jesus Christ!" or even "Goddammit!"), and I was quite shaken when I heard the Laughing Man (who's always been one of my favorite gits charachters) say fully and twice in two of the final episodes (22 and 23, if I remember correctly) the phrase :" that son of a ***** God". Now, I now perfectly that Gits is way more than two blasphemous sentences (and I still consider it the greatest anime ever) but 1) it pains me that such a beatifully crafted anime can "fall so low" 2) such offensive statements made it to the official english dub. Again, I'm not a bigot, but some things really "cross the line" for me. What are your opinions? Do you have any advice to "overcome" this? English isn't my mother tongue (so I am sorry for eventual errors), so is it possible that the phrase has a "less offensive meaning" i'm not aware of?

The author was a bit disrespectful here, but it was the LM who has that personality. We the viewers, are not meant to empathize with LM necessarily. I didn't like him for instance.

So yes, i agree with you, it was profanity, and the anime would have been better without it.

Even then, LM believes in god (not necessarily the Christian / abrahmic one) so there's that.
--------

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

153 by MineFord_gurme »»
Apr 5, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Aug 8, 2008

84 by Satyr_icon »»
Mar 28, 9:02 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

88 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:33 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 8, 2008

50 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:32 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jul 12, 2008

77 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.