Log Horizon
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 20, 2016 9:41 AM

Apr 2016
Although i'm not a fan of sao but i've seen people comparing both of this anime
Jul 20, 2016 9:59 AM

Apr 2016
Thanks @sudoheathen i might check it out.
Jul 20, 2016 10:05 AM

Apr 2011
Nope, SAO is actually fun to watch. Log Horizon was boring as fuck.
Jul 20, 2016 10:07 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Depends on your viewpoint. Log Horizon has better writing, SAO is more fun to watch. Take your pick
Aug 5, 2016 12:15 AM

Nov 2009
I would express the difference as "Log Horison is a strategy, not unlike Maoyuu or Gate, while SAO is an adventure like Full Metal Alchemist and many others."
Aug 10, 2016 12:48 AM
Aug 2016
I love them equally.
Oct 17, 2016 2:06 PM
Oct 2016
I am on Episode 6 And Log horizon is equally stupid as SAO. The MMO strategy is possibly better but I am not interested in that and they live in the MMO so why play it as a game?

The characters in log Horizon is not distressed and don't think about why the are stuck in an MMO and make no attempt to escape!

Why are they fighting why do people behave like dicks when everything is just fine even if they don't do anything? I can't stop thinking that if I where in the log horizon game I would have tried to escape. Or make a good living cooking awesome food and start the coolest in on the server with great parties and wake up hang over in the cathedral with someones underwear I don't recognize.

What would happen in a world where you don't need to pay your bill and work for your food?
Oct 17, 2016 2:56 PM
Jun 2016
I have finished both seasons of Log Horizon and I would definitely recommend it if you enjoy a show with 'less action'. It still had action but the focus is different.

Log Horizon shares the same trope as SOA and so many others in the form of many people being magically transported into a MMO, sci-fi world with monsters and abilities,... . But while SAO takes the normal approach with a lot of action and fighting, Log Horizon is more focused on the politics and economics of the trope.

Another big difference is the action, while in SAO it's all about the fighting and the badassery of it, LH is more tactical based. With Shiroe, the main character in LH being a skilled summoner and tactian the focus is based around his decision making instead of Kirito's pure fighting skill.

If you enjoy the more political, economical and tactical approach I would definitely recommend it ,if not then this show will not be for you
Oct 17, 2016 4:13 PM

Feb 2010
@Dendorone and glasses. Log horizon without glasses would be much worse... jokes aside, I agree with you more or less.

I think Log horizon, SAO, .hack and a few other animes/mangas/games share one concept: virtual reality where you can feel, taste, hear, smell and touch everything.
The thing is that they put different pressure on things. SAO cares about people in real life & devices. Log horizon is more about living in the virtual world.

Lubricus said:

Why are they fighting why do people behave like dicks when everything is just fine even if they don't do anything? I can't stop thinking that if I where in the log horizon game I would have tried to escape. Or make a good living cooking awesome food and start the coolest in on the server with great parties and wake up hang over in the cathedral with someones underwear I don't recognize.

What would happen in a world where you don't need to pay your bill and work for your food?

I think most of this has been answered in Log Horizon
Spoilers (don't remember season nor episode! - might be massive spoilers, so.. yeah)
Food:

No fights:
Oct 17, 2016 11:11 PM
Oct 2016
Wannabiteme said:
@Dendorone and glasses. Log horizon without glasses would be much worse... jokes aside, I agree with you more or less.

I think Log horizon, SAO, .hack and a few other animes/mangas/games share one concept: virtual reality where you can feel, taste, hear, smell and touch everything.
The thing is that they put different pressure on things. SAO cares about people in real life & devices. Log horizon is more about living in the virtual world.

Lubricus said:

I think most of this has been answered in Log Horizon
Spoilers (don't remember season nor episode! - might be massive spoilers, so.. yeah)
Food:

No fights:

I am not bitching about small plot holes I am bitching about no plot at all. The main character find himself in an MMO and thinks in about 1 second it's quite odd. Then tries to log out but when the menu item is grayed out he accept he can't get out. Then the show totally abandoned the idea that they actually is trapped for at least 6 episodes with no person reacting to it at all.

Later it's an acward conversation where Shiroe explains he is an engineering student and I only want to scream at him - how are your degree going - have you any problem with attending your classes when you are trapped in an MMO!

And the plot so far is that half of the people are so bored of the MMO so they have nothing else to do than griefing the other people - and that is way beyond SAO stupidity. And I can't find any other redeeming qualities as the romantic shimmering that SAO have.
Oct 17, 2016 11:14 PM

Feb 2016
Log Horizon is nice until the swap of MCs, and then proceeds to be one of the most boring things existing, you should try it tho, most of the 1st season is good.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Oct 17, 2016 11:42 PM

Jul 2013
Lubricus said:
The characters in log Horizon is not distressed and don't think about why the are stuck in an MMO and make no attempt to escape!

They accept the situation that they are in. They can't log out and there's nothing they can really do about it unlike in SAO where they were given a clear objective on how to get out. In Log Horizon, they were just randomly transported into another world with no hints on escape. They have to figure it out themselves and I doubt it would be as easy as you want it to be. There's also the conflicts that began to arise since the phenomenon occurred so they had to set their original goal aside in order to provide a fair environment for rookie players. Plus the fact that most of the players have troubled lives and are uninterested in the real world, hence why they immerse themselves in MMORPGs. As the series progresses, you can see that most of the people are actually starting to become happy which hints that they don't really want to go back or at least not now.

Because dickheads do exist in MMOs? Have you even played one? Some people just PK for no reason, scamming is prevalent, and what asshole wouldn't try to abuse the powers he was bestowed upon knowing that there really isn't much of a consequence since you just resurrect in the cathedral?

It isn't just the players who cause trouble though. Some NPCs are also the root of the problem. These aren't just ordinary NPCs who are wired to do a specific thing. They have their own free will and can cause as much havoc as any other player.

If that's how you want it then that's just another slice-of-life show with them killing monsters from time to time and hanging around in town. Too static and uninteresting.

Guilds do pay their bills as explained in the anime. That's why there's a gold system which was tackled upon during second season. Also, cooking isn't as easy you think. You have to be a specific sub-class in order for the food to have substance and you actually need ingredients to do so.

That's also the reason why there's politics in the anime. Since players aren't governed by any entity, they had to make some rules to suppress abuse and injustice among players.
Oct 17, 2016 11:45 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
no, no is a little different!!!
Oct 17, 2016 11:48 PM

Jan 2015
What did you like about SAO? I liked the really cheesy romance in it because I am a romance nut. Sword art online is typically described as really "edgy" I enjoyed it when I first got into anime, but find it now to be not that great.
Log Horizon is more "strategy" and is really enjoyable. If you liked SAO you probably will find log horizon to be at least decent, so give it a shot.
Oct 18, 2016 1:03 AM
Jun 2016
Btw, has anyone read the light novels? And if so, do you recommend them??
Nov 12, 2016 12:11 AM

Dec 2015
As much as SAO gets flak , it is still a better show than most of its clones.

Log Horizon takes away the very few good things that SAO did; Mainly it completely lacks any sense of urgency or threat which makes attempts at presenting threats just meaningless thus making the show a very long exercise in filler because it is literally set-up for nothing to happen.

I'd confidently state that it's the worst SAO clone of them all despite having some actual MMO/PvP concepts down pat, it just fails at the premise and the characters offer no aid.
Nov 20, 2016 8:08 AM

Nov 2016
Despite not only being of the same genre but as well as having almost a very similar story, both have a surpisingly huge gap, specially in their atmosphere.

Comparing the two, I'll go with Log Horizon being better.

Log Horizon is a lighter version of the darker(story) SAO. In terms of character quality, I may go with SAO but with story, definitely Log Horizon. Log Horizon does have its boring moment(not really that often) but I was able to stick around with it. On the other hand, I lost it with SAO somewhere halfway til the end. Overtime, SAO just got repetitive, just with a new setting, new mysterious/powerful opponent etc.

So there. Oh, and Log Horizon is simply more fun.
Jan 14, 2017 1:31 AM

Dec 2015
Back then I decided to drop Log Horizon early. I watched a few episodes and didn't like that the chars just accepted being in that world (didn't try to escape) and that it felt too much like really playing an MMORPG (too much talking about strategies and stuff). Also the jokes were boring sometimes. (If I remember correctly girl hitting the armored guy and calling him pervert or something like that. The type of stuff only 14 years old would laugh about maybe.)

After doing some research and watching the threads I decided to not pick it up again.

I guess the show is mainly for people that play MMORPG themselves and want to see what's going to happen if you are trapped in an MMORPG and have more freedom to do stuff there. + some fights/strategies.

While SAO can be entertaining to anyone. It isn't that important that they are trapped in an MMORPG. Would also have worked with a different setting. The survival plot is interesting - better than the boring stuff happening in SAO.

On the other hand in the 2nd half of SAO they introduced different things/chars which made SAO worse. (Similar to the 2nd season where the 1st half was better.)
Jan 21, 2017 10:26 PM
Jul 2013
I like both. Romance wise I'd give it to SAO. But Character wise I'm torn because although the characters background and emotions are strong in SAO.I like the comedy mixed with hints of darkness in LH.
Now everyone is talking about how SAO is Darker than LH. I can understand why one would say that especially for the 2nd half of the 1st season of SAO.but I also feel some people are saying that because people who die in game in SAO die in real life too; BUT in LH you lose your memories. I can't remember ( I'm ReWatching it currently) but when you die in game in LH you lose your memories BUT you don't get to choose which ones and how large of a chunk it is.Also the depth of emotion in the memory and how the memory shaped and defined you, it would completely change you. And over time your past memories of the real world would disappear and you would become trapped in the game or die as every time you die you give up a memory in exchange. If there are none left you die, turn into a people of the land, or simple disappear existence wiped.
I'll be honest and straight up say that I prefer LH Shiroe over SAO Kirito for the simple reason that Kirito is your typical hero character; while Shiroe is more like OHSHC kyoya Ootori (closest thing I could think of right now).
For me SAO 2nd season seemed kind of forced as in like unnecessary as the conclusion of 1st season seemed like it had an adequate ending.
While LH stopping it at season 2, just when it is about to get good and things are heading towards conclusion of you know LEAVING the game! Like What the heck!
So in one way I feel like it is an unfair comparison because in my opinion LH never really reached a conclusion; they kind of alluded to another season coming but it never came! While SAO reached a conclusion that anyone would be satisfied with because (in my opinion) season 2 was like the epilogue and the epilogue did not leave you wanting more answers as there were no questions left to answer.
LH ticks me off because you are left hanging with a Ton of questions and NO answers!
But I still love both and I've watched both at least 3 times
Rainy-RoundJan 21, 2017 10:37 PM
Jan 22, 2017 5:48 PM

Jan 2013
SAO many main plots"sao, alo, ggo, mama rosario" while Log Horizon is focus on one plot "figuring to get out while living like in the real world with fantasy at the same time". :P I like LH than SAO, every time I rewatch SAO I feel like there's cooties, honey bees, butterfly and ants looking for sugar everywhere.
Pyon2WarpKunJan 22, 2017 6:00 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2013

268 by MFM32 »»
Mar 3, 6:34 PM

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2013

229 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 31, 2:27 AM

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2013

209 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 30, 10:35 PM

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2013

183 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 30, 9:05 PM

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 9, 2013

265 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 30, 8:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.