Forum Settings
Forums

what was your biggest anime disappointment?

New
Jul 19, 2016 8:07 PM
Mar 2016
what the title says, what do you think?
user5265111Sep 13, 2016 8:00 PM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 19, 2016 8:09 PM

Nov 2014
Obligatory Gintama comment is obligatory.

Jul 19, 2016 8:09 PM

Nov 2013
Hunter x Hunter. I was promised an anime that would be visual ambrosia. I got a awfully paced train wreck. God, it's awful. 3 minutes stretched over 6 episodes.
Jul 19, 2016 8:10 PM

Jul 2015
Probably Bungou Stray Dogs. I was so hype about it because everyone was talking about it, but it became a chore to get through. It wasn't bad, just really "meh" for me.

Apr 2013
Mekakucity actors.

It was just....

very, very disappointing.

Nov 2014
BonerBender said:
Hunter x Hunter. I was promised an anime that would be visual ambrosia. I got a awfully paced train wreck. God, it's awful. 3 minutes stretched over 6 episodes.
it is still not a dragon ball stretched level

Jul 19, 2016 8:12 PM

Nov 2013
ExTemplar said:
BonerBender said:

At least people weren't hyping up Dragon Ball as if it would cure my cancer or make me live forever or it's literally the greatest work of any medium or is the greatest accomplishment any human will ever make.
Jul 19, 2016 8:14 PM

Nov 2014
BonerBender said:
ExTemplar said:

At least people weren't hyping up Dragon Ball as if it would cure my cancer or make me live forever or it's literally the greatest work of any medium or is the greatest accomplishment any human will ever make.
are you sure about that?
how old are you?

Jul 19, 2016 8:20 PM

Jan 2008
Of recent years and off the top of my head, Blazblue. I know game adaptions are generally bad but that was a whole new kind of bad.
Jul 19, 2016 8:24 PM

Apr 2015
Ace Attorney. My hopes weren't too high in the first place after the previous anime I watched was also an adaptation of a game I play that disappointed me (Show By Rock!!), but the Ace Attorney anime managed to disappoint me a lot more.

Show By Rock!! at least had very well done animation and excellent music (just like the game's great music) and some nice laughs. Ace Attorney on the other hand has shitty animation, only occasionally good music, and a bunch of unnecessary changes made when it's trying to be a straight up adaptation of the games (whereas Show By Rock!!'s anime is an AU of sorts not trying to be exactly like the game).

Still watching anyway, though.
Jul 19, 2016 8:24 PM

Nov 2015
Kaichou wa Maid-Sama! disappointed me so much. All the hype gave me the impression that it was equal to Ouran in comedy and storytelling. It wasn't. I didn't find it funny, the hero was annoying as hell, and the heroine was kinda... um. Started off ok, then got bland. That's what I get for reading romantic comedies, anyway. I only finished it out of obligation (completionism).
Jul 19, 2016 8:25 PM

Mar 2016
"Princess Mononoke" It was so over-hyped by my friends I made a rule to put things with as much hype on the shelf til I had forgotten them almost entirely.
Mrs. Landingham, what's next?
Jul 19, 2016 8:25 PM

Nov 2015
Erased had a promising start to be fair. But around midway through the show shat all over itself.
The hype for the show was unreal and it's astronomical score at the time was what got me to watch it.
Gesu-Jul 19, 2016 8:29 PM
Jul 19, 2016 8:26 PM

Jul 2016
NGE for sure, I expected a revolutionary anime but at the end it was pretty average with more obnoxious characters than usually.

Definitely weaker compared to the other two praised anime of the 90's (Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell). It also invented/made a lot of shitty tropes & character archtypes popular which I hate.
AssumingControlJul 19, 2016 8:32 PM
Jul 19, 2016 8:31 PM

Jul 2015
'what was your biggest anime disappointment?'

Obviously the community
It's okay to smirk

Jul 19, 2016 8:35 PM

Aug 2015
Mayoiga

I had really high hopes for this one at the start, I was hoping for a better version of another

It's not bad though, it's just a lot worse than what I expected. Don't hope for too much
Jul 19, 2016 8:41 PM
Jul 2018
Log Horizon. It's OP had more action than the whole series itself. I actually enjoyed SAO exponentially MOARRR
Jul 19, 2016 8:44 PM

Jul 2015
Kampfer, just because I didn't look at genre tags or summaries back then and thought it was gonna be a badass fighting show.
Jul 19, 2016 8:44 PM

Nov 2014
MiziTami said:
Log Horizon. It's OP had more action than the whole series itself. I actually enjoyed SAO exponentially MOARRR
LH was never about action, comparing it to SAO should make you feel embarrassed.

Jul 19, 2016 8:48 PM

May 2016
SAO for obvious reasons...........................
Jul 19, 2016 8:50 PM

Jan 2008
GoldenKappa said:
SAO for obvious reasons...........................

Because they chose not to animate 16.5?
Jul 19, 2016 8:52 PM

Jul 2014
Hunter x Hunter expected it to be better than what I saw. Wasn't terrible but really underwhelming.
Jul 19, 2016 8:54 PM

Aug 2009
The Big-O and Sword Art Online.

For years I had watched bits and pieces of The Big-O on Cartoon Network before I finally sat down and watched it straight through. During that time I thought it was super awesome. After I started getting knee deep in Anime, of course my knowledge grew and my tastes evolved. In the end, it ended up being average at best. It really could have been something. Man it ended up being such a disappointment.

And I just got caught up in the hype of SAO and I went in with lofty expectations. Did not do it for me. Meh in the end (for me). And don't get me started on SAO II. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

Jul 19, 2016 8:57 PM

Jun 2012
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar, I'm intrigued by its happy ending.
Jul 19, 2016 8:59 PM

Jan 2016
ExTemplar said:
Obligatory Gintama comment is obligatory.
Gintama is goat disappointement is not possible.
Jul 19, 2016 9:00 PM

Jan 2016
Zaphkiel_El_Rem said:
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar, I'm intrigued by its happy ending.
Everyone should have died instead?
Jul 19, 2016 9:03 PM

Jun 2016
Ace Attorney, SAO and Code Geass (was more average to me than one of the best of all time)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 19, 2016 9:53 PM

Sep 2013
Welcome to the NHK!, NGE, Haibane Renmei, Toradora.
Jul 19, 2016 9:59 PM

Feb 2013
I know I'm going to get shit for this, but you guys asked!

Code Geass and Madoka Magica
Jul 19, 2016 10:01 PM

Apr 2010
Joker Trap. The first two episodes felt like they lead to somewhere else

Jul 19, 2016 10:03 PM

Jul 2016
Danganronpa.
The concept is fantastic, the plot is suspenseful, and the characters are likeable. The ending, on the other hand, is THE most disappointing thing I've ever seen in any anime. It's like going to a restaurant, having an amazing time, and getting served a rotten apple for dessert. Ugh.
Jul 19, 2016 10:07 PM

Sep 2015
There's quite a few but probably the biggest standout for me would be Clannad. I wasn't initially disappointed by it but after getting through the episodes of After Story that were good I was disappointed by what the first season could have been.
Jul 19, 2016 10:11 PM

Jan 2008
Zeus- said:
Lenalyn said:
Danganronpa.
The concept is fantastic, the plot is suspenseful, and the characters are likeable. The ending, on the other hand, is THE most disappointing thing I've ever seen in any anime. It's like going to a restaurant, having an amazing time, and getting served a rotten apple for dessert. Ugh.
yeah the games are better

He said the ending was disappointing. The game being better doesn't change the fact that both have the same ending. Unless what he actually disliked isn't the actual ending but a different aspect related to the way the anime executed it.
Jul 19, 2016 10:16 PM

May 2013
-Stabbed- said:
Erased had a promising start to be fair. But around midway through the show shat all over itself.
The hype for the show was unreal and it's astronomical score at the time was what got me to watch it.

Also it was a shanked adaptation. Really disappointing, especially for those who read the manga
Jul 19, 2016 10:21 PM
Jul 2016
Pretty much the entire decade so far.

Give me back something like Rurouni Kenshin again please.
Jul 19, 2016 10:22 PM
May 2015
Sousei no Onmyouji. I read the manga and there was alot of hype, then they wasted episodes and was nothing like I expected. I dont hate it and I still watch it but I'm still very very disapointed.
Jul 19, 2016 10:23 PM

May 2015
For me, it was Shakugan no Shana. 72+ Episodes that ended up being a complete waste of time.
Jul 19, 2016 10:24 PM

Dec 2013
Today I finished Attack on Trainwreck and considering how I liked it at first, I feel very dissapointed and betrayed. To add salts to injury, I even ordered its BDs and OSTs (I dont feel bad for the OSTs tho).
Jul 19, 2016 10:26 PM

Apr 2011
dipothebookworm said:
Kaichou wa Maid-Sama! disappointed me so much. All the hype gave me the impression that it was equal to Ouran in comedy and storytelling. It wasn't. I didn't find it funny, the hero was annoying as hell, and the heroine was kinda... um. Started off ok, then got bland. That's what I get for reading romantic comedies, anyway. I only finished it out of obligation (completionism).

Yeah, Maid-Sama would also be my biggest disappointment.
I'm a huge sucker for supposedly excellent romance shoujo, and this was not that. I still can't get past episode 7. I've rewatched those same seven episodes three times in four years and I just... I can't get past them. It feels really bland and forced, such a chore to watch. The lead characters are super uninteresting, etc... :/
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Jul 19, 2016 10:30 PM

Jul 2016
Sword Art Online. The concept is AMAZING, the first episode was absolutely perfect, too. And then it fell apart so quickly, abandoning the fantastic concept, resolving the intital arc way too quickly, and devolving into a harem anime where the main character gets married like 6 episodes in (so what's the point of the harem?). Among many other issues, SAO just burned me so bad. Love the idea, and the first episode is amazing. And the music and animation is fantastic, even as the writing and story devolves into nothingness.

Anohana was a disappointment, but slightly less. I had heard SO MUCH about how heartbreaking and emotional it was, and I watched it and... it was sweet. The first half was really neat and engaging, but the second half was frustrating - I couldn't reconcile the character's actions, it got way too melodramatic without purpose, and I just ended up not caring.
Jul 19, 2016 10:47 PM

Jan 2013
TadpoleSHero said:
Sword Art Online. The concept is AMAZING, the first episode was absolutely perfect, too. And then it fell apart so quickly, abandoning the fantastic concept, resolving the intital arc way too quickly, and devolving into a harem anime where the main character gets married like 6 episodes in (so what's the point of the harem?). Among many other issues, SAO just burned me so bad. Love the idea, and the first episode is amazing. And the music and animation is fantastic, even as the writing and story devolves into nothingness.
YES, THIS!! I was so excited for this anime with the way it was hyped up and all just to be let down. It begun to focus way too much on the romance and less on the action. I don't even want to talk about the second last arc. It just went completely downhill after the first few episodes.
Jul 19, 2016 10:48 PM
Dec 2015
Clannad /Clannad After Story. 44 episodes for a really vague conclusion.
Jul 19, 2016 10:52 PM

Sep 2014
Charolette. That anime is garbage, was supposed to improve on angel beats, but did everything it did wrong even worse.
Jul 19, 2016 10:54 PM

Nov 2014
davinci12 said:
Charolette. That anime is garbage, was supposed to improve on angel beats, but did everything it did wrong even worse.
how was it supposed to be related to angel beats?

Jul 19, 2016 10:55 PM
Sep 2015
C4NDYCE said:
Probably Bungou Stray Dogs. I was so hype about it because everyone was talking about it, but it became a chore to get through. It wasn't bad, just really "meh" for me.

(Hey fancy meeting you here!)
But yeah I agree, I expected some quirky thriller supernatural mafia story and instead I got... well, this:

Luckily 91 Days seems to be on the right track this season, cross my fingers it doesn't epically flop as well.
mandatory SAO answer
Also UBW after having seen Zero and Canaan after having heard it's a Type-Moon adaptation (these two shows opened my eyes regarding TM's fetish for shitty, pseudo-intellectual writing).
Jul 19, 2016 10:56 PM

Apr 2015
Gangsta, the first episode got me hyped up, but it went bad; both Manga and the anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 19, 2016 11:07 PM

Mar 2014
Kotetsujou no Kabaneri. It had potential, it looked great. I mean I like both samurai and zombies, what could possiblie go wrong? And then everything did.
Jul 19, 2016 11:15 PM

Jun 2016
I'm too cynical so before an anime starts I don't have great expectations(if any) but for some reason I was quite pumped about Mayoiga because it had an interesting premise but then it turend out to be the most ridiculous comedy-thriller-whatever and it was awful.
Jul 19, 2016 11:53 PM

May 2014
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (not including Diamond is Unbreakable tho cuz that's ma shizz)...everyone always goes on about how great Battle Tendency & Stardust Crusaders are but I found them kind of a cringey snore fest. Dio had the emotional complexity of a piece of bread and was about as interesting as one as well. We're constantly told how charming & charismatic he is, and I'm just like ???? Also the characters and their relationships never felt fleshed out or convincing. Nothing really grabbed me and I didn't care about anything that was happening. I expected so much more so I was really bummed out!! Maybe I've watched too much anime & have built up an immunity to weird crap, but it just didn't feel very "bizarre" to me :/

Also Madoka Magica- it wasn't all that great to me...sure the visuals were pretty but the characters felt bland and I didn't find it as brutal and shocking as everybody made out.
Jul 19, 2016 11:54 PM

Feb 2016
Kokoro Connect.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

50 by EastIndiaCompany »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

39 by Tirinchas »»
11 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

28 by EastIndiaCompany »»
16 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

186 by Zarutaku »»
35 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 22

24 by M_MASTER »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.