Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 19, 2016 7:40 PM

Jul 2016
There doesn't seem to be much hype for this show here or on any other big anime sites. Those who watch it seem to like it so far but thats it.

Is there not much interest for an anime about the mob?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 20, 2016 8:29 AM
Jul 2011
Beats me .. I had the same thought
Jul 20, 2016 9:25 AM

Apr 2012
Because it's an anime original and no one knows what'll happen next?
Considering 91 days being the anime with the 4th most members in Summer 2016 I'd say it's pretty popular for an original.
@inuvivo on twitter!
Jul 20, 2016 9:28 AM

Dec 2015
It's my favourite of this season so far. I was looking forward to it, and it's already exceeded my expectations with the current 2 episodes that are out. As long as they don't mess up the ending.

It's an original so it could either turn out really good, or really bad. We shall see.

Jul 20, 2016 1:43 PM
Mar 2016
Hate fan service / children running the world in anime.

I like the show. Its a revenge story.
is there any similar quality show out there? Name few please.

I watched Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo which was also good.
I like 91 better. MC is all about payback
Happy watching
Jul 20, 2016 1:47 PM

Jan 2011
Because not enough waifus.

Anyway is this show any good? I got it on my plan to watch list.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jul 20, 2016 1:52 PM

Jul 2016
Xion69 said:

Couldn't agree more, so sick of teeanger main characters & the highschool setting. Also hate ecchi/moe/harem bs.

Anyway yeah there are some similiar quality mature shows. I would recommend Cowboy Bebop, Fate/Zero, Monster & Psycho Pass.

@MasterHavik Yeah if you like mob shows/movies & more mature anime it definitely is. The first two eps have been great.
Jul 20, 2016 2:30 PM

Jan 2011
Omni_slash95 said:
Xion69 said:

Couldn't agree more, so sick of teeanger main characters & the highschool setting. Also hate ecchi/moe/harem bs.

Anyway yeah there are some similiar quality mature shows. I would recommend Cowboy Bebop, Fate/Zero, Monster & Psycho Pass.

@MasterHavik Yeah if you like mob shows/movies & more mature anime it definitely is. The first two eps have been great.
I just made a thread about what you're talking about!!! LOL!!!

And sounds dope man. I'll give it a look.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jul 22, 2016 8:19 AM
Feb 2016
Original + no boobs + no moe + no bitch/girl + male adult only = no hype
thats ppl today.
Anyway i think i'm the only one who a bit hyped for this when it still unair. If you ask the community, major will say "not watch and not interested". I liked this because revenge and backstory tho.
Jul 22, 2016 8:42 AM

Jul 2016
Harukei_bMaster said:
thats ppl today.
Anyway i think i'm the only one who a bit hyped for this when it still unair. If you ask the community, major will say "not watch and not interested". I liked this because revenge and backstory tho.

Definitely a shame though if you ask me, wish the anime community was more open to different things.

Yeah I was interested in this show ever since it got announced & so far it has been really good.
Jul 22, 2016 9:02 AM

Jul 2016
ColdBreeze said:
It's quite popular on Reddit.

Most upvoted series after Mob Psycho 100 and Food Wars.

Good to know but it doesn't seem to be popular here. Its still just ranked #619 & this subforum isn't very active.
Jul 22, 2016 9:17 AM

Jun 2016
IKR.

really why?.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 22, 2016 11:08 AM

Mar 2015
Why hype is needed? If it be in top 100, it got spawned by posts like: "Why such high rating?!", "91 Days is overrated" and etc. I like if it goes like Shouwa Rakugo - it slowly getting higher with each episode, and in the end it end up in top 100. But like it has been mentioned before, it's a original series, and it hard to predict how it goes. It's not hard to mess it up.
Jul 22, 2016 12:03 PM

Jun 2014
No waifus or big boob lolis = no popularity. The most popular shows over the last couple of years tend to be the shows that pander to the literal lowest common denominator, like the generic garbage battle academy ecchi/harems that we get every season, for example. It's a shame that an anime like this, which is actually good (so far), will be widely overlooked because it's not filled with a bunch of elements that pander to all the lonely otakus.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 22, 2016 12:08 PM

Jul 2016
thebrentinator24 said:
No waifus or big boob lolis = no popularity. The most popular shows over the last couple of years tend to be the shows that pander to the literal lowest common denominator, like the generic garbage battle academy ecchi/harems that we get every season, for example. It's a shame that an anime like this, which is actually good (so far), will be widely overlooked because it's not filled with a bunch of elements that pander to all the lonely otakus.

Yeah its pretty sad. More mature anime are already a rarity because apparently people prefer the same old childish cookie cutter bs.
Jul 22, 2016 12:25 PM

Feb 2012
Maybe I'm not getting hyped for it because it's every mafia/Prohibition revenge story ever? Because I don't find any of the characters interesting due to them being badass stereotypes? You can reference The Godfather all you want, but I'm not going to get excited for this show until it does something unique.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Jul 22, 2016 12:34 PM

Feb 2016
Im waiting for it to air, cause i feel like i wont be happy about waiting every week if a cliffanger happens, definitely going to watch it tho.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Jul 22, 2016 12:40 PM

Jul 2016
Flawfinder said:
Maybe I'm not getting hyped for it because it's every mafia/Prohibition revenge story ever? Because I don't find any of the characters interesting due to them being badass stereotypes? You can reference The Godfather all you want, but I'm not going to get excited for this show until it does something unique.

For anime its feels fresh, there are basically no mob shows in this medium. It also gets bonus points for no highschool, teenager main characters, waifu's & other bullshit that is everywhere these days.

The characters are interesting, the story is compelling etc. as long as they keep delivering it will be great.

There is nothing these days thats 100% unique, thats basically not possible anymore. Especially with mob stories there is only so much you can do differently while not going off into some forced supernatural bs like Gungrave or Gangsta
Jul 22, 2016 12:50 PM

Feb 2015
just accept the fact that not many people like watching this type of show. basically what i mean is "Boring"
but not to me.......i like this show. but i don't think it's one of my fav. if i compared this show to another show which is kinda similiar, IMO, baccano is way better than this.

if you think this show is amazing but not all people think the same thing like you.
^
don't be mad. just saying.
YizelTroJul 22, 2016 12:57 PM
Jul 22, 2016 12:53 PM

Jul 2015
It hasn't earned the right to be hyped, not yet at least.

I was hyped af for Kabaneri due to legit youtube trailer but I'm not making that mistake again.
Jul 22, 2016 1:00 PM

Jul 2016
Tevens said:
just accept the fact that not many people like watching this type of show. basically what i mean is "Boring"
but not to me.......i like this show. but i don't think it's one of my fav. if i compared this show to another show which is kinda similiar, IMO, baccano is way better than this.

if you think this show is amazing but not all people think the same thing like you.
^

Lol I'm not mad, just asking a question. And yeah so far I like Baccano more too but this anime is just 3 eps in so it might be better at the end.

More like people just want their waifu's, cutsey bs and teenager main characters. Don't see how this is boring at all.
Jul 22, 2016 1:12 PM

Jan 2016
Harukei_bMaster said:
thats ppl today.

Nope man, Same is here too.
Jul 22, 2016 1:28 PM

Jun 2012
No Moe or High School so no one cares. The show itself is a classic in the making though so fuck everyone else.
Jul 22, 2016 1:33 PM

Jul 2016
luigi-dude said:
No Moe or High School so no one cares. The show itself is a classic in the making though so fuck everyone else.

Yeah so far its outstanding. What really counts is what Japan thinks, just hope it sells well & taking such a risk pays off.
Jul 22, 2016 1:37 PM
Jul 2018
I can technically say the reason why its not that hyped it is because this series is more target to a different audience, which are people that wants mature themes or a rather mature story, rather than the focus on highschool setting shows or the cute slice of life stuff. Which is more target towards the teen audiences, and as far as I am concerned with teenage audience, they would like either the ecchi/harem stuff, cute moe shows or SoL, shoujo romances, Highschool shows, etc. Which makes sense.

Now don't get me wrong, I like some of my highschool stuff and SoL shows since they're the ones that either entertains me more or at the very least relaxes me a bit more rather than making me think too hard and to understand the story (like this show for example which I dont mind it, I've been waiting for an actual good mafia series for a year now with the exception of Black Lagoon), but you do get my point across.

Again my only assumption is that the series is not hyped, because of the target audience in the end, which of course I take into consideration that this is just focused on people that are looking for something more refreshing.

Jul 2015
This was the first show that popped out to me when I was picking what to watch this season, but because it's not filled with the generic tropes like acid I doubt it got exposure. Love the show so far though.
*hug noises*

May 2013
Mafia anime have a tendency of being pretty terrible historically. Gangsta gave me enough cancer to last for a while last year. It's not really a concept Japan seems to be as comfortable with as western shows

Well that was my reason for avoiding 91 Days as well at least, can't speak for it specifically
Jul 22, 2016 1:40 PM

Feb 2015
Omni_slash95 said:
Tevens said:

^

Lol I'm not mad, just asking a question. And yeah so far I like Baccano more too but this anime is just 3 eps in so it might be better at the end.

More like people just want their waifu's, cutsey bs and teenager main characters. Don't see how this is boring at all.

well, that's basically what most guy/ most male anime fans is i think. including me too btw. and there is another reason why most anime fans doesn't like this kind of show; it's not fun at all. most people here, watch anime just for fun, for comedy or that type of stuff, more like light hearted even in action too. i mean, i think most people here likes comedy more than any other genre. if not, then the last thing that i can think of is "there is no girl/this show lacks of girls"

and btw, this series targeted to adult audience. that's probably why it's not that hype. probably around 27/25+ i think.
Jul 22, 2016 1:41 PM

Feb 2012
Omni_slash95 said:

For anime its feels fresh, there are basically no mob shows in this medium. It also gets bonus points for no highschool, teenager main characters, waifu's & other bullshit that is everywhere these days.

And yeah so far I like Baccano more too

Anime isn't some enclosed medium that exists in a space far away from everything else. And those bonus points aren't enough to get me interested, because if that's all I wanted from anime, I'd just watch live-action TV.

And LOL, you're talking to the wrong guy if you want praise regarding Baccano or Ryogho Narita in general.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Jul 22, 2016 1:41 PM
Jul 2018
HaXXspetten said:
Mafia anime have a tendency of being pretty terrible historically. Gangsta gave me enough cancer to last for a while last year. It's not really a concept Japan seems to be as comfortable with as western shows

Well that was my reason for avoiding 91 Days as well at least, can't speak for it specifically

Oh back when I watched Gangsta I thought it was just meh, but it was so terribly done from I think second half and onward that it didn't made me trust to watch Mafia anime series for a while, and I was scared of picking Black Lagoon because of it.

But I think you should wait and see, because 91 days is pretty interesting but again, you should wait until the entire series is done, seeing the feedback it receives.
Jul 22, 2016 1:53 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
TheLittleRedHero said:
HaXXspetten said:

Oh back when I watched Gangsta I thought it was just meh, but it was so terribly done from I think second half and onward that it didn't made me trust to watch Mafia anime series for a while, and I was scared of picking Black Lagoon because of it.

But I think you should wait and see, because 91 days is pretty interesting but again, you should wait until the entire series is done, seeing the feedback it receives.
That's what I do with every seasonal show I don't end up watching weekly
Jul 22, 2016 1:59 PM

Jul 2016
HaXXspetten said:

I get what you are saying, Gungrave was pretty lackluster too.

So far 91 Days is better than both of them & feels like the first gritty mob anime. But still it all depends on how this show progresses.
Jul 22, 2016 2:14 PM

Jul 2015
It's good so far, but most people (including me) prefer light hearted stuff or stuff that doesnt make you think about how shitty the world is lol. Another thing I see is when there's a show with a unique concept or genre that doesn't have many other series, people (for the most part) instantly think it's amazing or something. Idk. I judge every series individually. For example, the whole highschool genre. I actually do like the highschool genre a lot, when its done well. There is tons of trash ones out there, but there is also really good ones for aspects like comedy and romance. When it comes to these mob ones, the only one I remember really loving is Black Lagoon. I think the whole mafia genre can be a big hit or miss with the anime industry.
Jul 22, 2016 2:24 PM

Jul 2016
Wrsty said:
It's good so far, but most people (including me) prefer light hearted stuff or stuff that doesnt make you think about how shitty the world is lol. Another thing I see is when there's a show with a unique concept or genre that doesn't have many other series, people (for the most part) instantly think it's amazing or something. Idk. I judge every series individually. For example, the whole highschool genre. I actually do like the highschool genre a lot, when its done well. There is tons of trash ones out there, but there is also really good ones for aspects like comedy and romance. When it comes to these mob ones, the only one I remember really loving is Black Lagoon. I think the whole mafia genre can be a big hit or miss with the anime industry.

Its not instantly awesome but I think its refreshing. Of course they could still fuck it up (lets hope they don't) but particular tropes & settings (personally can't stand the highschool setting anymore and also getting tired of teenagers as main characters) have been sooo overused in anime that its nice to see something different.

I prefer more serious anime, comedy is nice too & but I prefer Western type of comedy. Same with romance which feels too childish in anime.
Jul 22, 2016 2:28 PM

Apr 2011
Harukei_bMaster said:
thats ppl today.

This is so true but a show can be good without hype and 91 days is a perfect example
Jul 22, 2016 2:55 PM

Dec 2014
Because there is no reason to be hyped. The hype comes from anticipation, and there are no big names here, it's from a new studio and it's original.

People here say there is no hype because no moe, but what if Shinichiro Watanabe was the director? or Urobutcher the writer? Maybe add some famous seiyuu and Kenji Kawaii or Yoko Kanno to the mix, change Shuka for MadHouse and you would have the most hyped show of the season/year. It could be exactly the same anime, have the same synopsis, PV and promotional pictures but it would have 10 times the people watching it and a 8.50+ average score.

Not having hype is actually a good thing because people will judge it on it's own merits. If it ends up being good, maybe people will be hyped for the next Studio Shuka original.

About the premise, the mob has been used hundreds of times in movies, just being animated doesn't make it more interesting. Will watch when it's finished though.
Jul 22, 2016 2:57 PM

Oct 2007
No tits and ass, no mouthy shounen protag.
Jul 22, 2016 3:01 PM

Apr 2014
Because there's nothing to be hyped about. The series is ok so far and hasn't done anything really spectacular or groundbreaking.
Jul 22, 2016 3:20 PM

Jul 2016
Z4k said:
Because there's nothing to be hyped about. The series is ok so far and hasn't done anything really spectacular or groundbreaking.

A lot of anime haven't done that & yet they are still hyped. I don't think thats the reason.

Either way it doesn't need to be groundbreaking (which anime are these days) but yeah I still hope it gets even better.
Jul 22, 2016 5:51 PM
Aug 2015
Because there's no tits,ass, and shounen bullshit. Hell I just started on it it's pretty good. But my fav mafia anime will always be Baccano and Durarara even though it focuses on gangs.
Jul 22, 2016 6:09 PM

Jun 2016
Just imagine if shokugeki no soma didn't have the ecchi or boobs and was just an average cooking anime, do you think it'll be as popular as it is today. This show doesn't pander to that and is also anime original. As long as it's good and keeps you interested that's all that matters.
Jul 22, 2016 6:12 PM

Jul 2016
theultimate341 said:
Just imagine if shokugeki no soma didn't have the ecchi or boobs and was just an average cooking anime, do you think it'll be as popular as it is today. This show doesn't pander to that and is also anime original. As long as it's good and keeps you interested that's all that matters.

Good point. Just want this risk the Studio took to pay off, if the Japanese anime fans think like MAL it probably won't.
Jul 22, 2016 6:25 PM

Apr 2010
Easily one of the best this season, but it's not generic trash with fanservice/ecchi so nobody seem to care much. Mafia stories don't seem to be all that, especially with no big titted girl to go with the guys(Gangsta). I fucking love Mafia stories.
Jul 22, 2016 6:42 PM

Jul 2013
Thus far it's hella fucking good not to mention original.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jul 22, 2016 6:56 PM

Jul 2016
antonnn said:
Easily one of the best this season, but it's not generic trash with fanservice/ecchi so nobody seem to care much. Mafia stories don't seem to be all that, especially with no big titted girl to go with the guys(Gangsta). I fucking love Mafia stories.

Yeah me too big fan of the Godfather, Goodfellas, The Sopranos, the Mafia games etc.

Its surprising to see a gritty relatively grounded mob anime (Gangsta & Gungrave were full of supernatural stuff, same with Baccano). And so far its really great.
AssumingControlJul 22, 2016 7:06 PM
Jul 22, 2016 7:46 PM
Feb 2016
Hikarusuke said:
Harukei_bMaster said:
thats ppl today.

This is so true but a show can be good without hype and 91 days is a perfect example

still doubt that this will still ignored till the end. But at least for this 3 ep it can be called "hidden gem" of the season, maybe.
While upcoming mahou shoujo original by White Fox (due to rezero bandwagon) is more hyped than this lel. Anyway its ok since series that hyped too much tend to dissapoint fans.
Jul 23, 2016 3:05 AM

Oct 2014
Because it's boring. Though it has an original setting the series doesn't look like it has any interesting plot. I don't think that it deserve hype just because this theme hasn't been developed in anime - such theme has been developed in cinema tons of times and 91 Days doesn't look like it will be innovatory in this route. Don't wanted to be mean, maybe it's just because of my dislike of mafia theme and overestimated expectations.
Jul 23, 2016 3:16 AM

Apr 2014
PizzaWarrior said:
Because it's boring. Though it has an original setting the series doesn't look like it has any interesting plot. I don't think that it deserve hype just because this theme hasn't been developed in anime - such theme has been developed in cinema tons of times and 91 Days doesn't look like it will be innovatory in this route. Don't wanted to be mean, maybe it's just because of my dislike of mafia theme and overestimated expectations.

What lol? How is the show boring? Not enough waifus for you? Filthy weeb... I think it's pretty interesting to see the journey of two friends on the run and one of them having to kill the other to avenge his family.

Though, I guess you prefer shows where MC cries for the whole episode and explodes his arm at the very end of each.
themanualreader@proton.me
Jul 23, 2016 3:25 AM

Apr 2014
PizzaWarrior said:

You don't like mafia setting, yet you still watch the show then drop it and give it a rating of 4/10. I don't think that's a very reasonable rating.
If you dislike mafia shows, then don't watch them at all instead of doing this clown shit.
themanualreader@proton.me
Jul 23, 2016 4:26 AM

Oct 2014
Darius said:
PizzaWarrior said:

You don't like mafia setting, yet you still watch the show then drop it and give it a rating of 4/10. I don't think that's a very reasonable rating.
If you dislike mafia shows, then don't watch them at all instead of doing this clown shit.

I heard that this show is good and wanted to prove it myself. Also, why many of you use the argument of "Oh, this show is such anti-mainstream, it hasn't got any tiddies and waifus, a show for the true connoisseurs"? I think that show good when it has got something good, not when it hasn't got something bad. Unfortunately, I don't found enough reasons answering for such a demand.
PizzaWarriorJul 23, 2016 5:12 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2016

449 by pontes13 »»
Apr 3, 4:31 PM

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2016

183 by damoInstinct »»
Feb 14, 11:38 PM

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2016

213 by damoInstinct »»
Feb 11, 12:53 AM

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2016

119 by damoInstinct »»
Feb 8, 7:21 AM

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2016

210 by damoInstinct »»
Feb 5, 7:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.